Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Discuss anything you want.
ThatDarnMKS

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:01 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:12 am
Yeah, it's a weird little community. Most people walk around in worn out clothing, and then you talk to them and they are literally geniuses and rocket scientists.

The man who was building a woman did not return for the second day of the festival (or at least not to my area). I think he was more lonely than dangerous, but the image was . . . something.

In retrospect my favorite thing he said to me was "She's started doing computations with negative numbers. I mean, ha, who knows where she learned to do that!". I think he's building/programming like a home-brew Alexa/Siri type computer program?

So to skew back on topic, favorite "building a woman" horror? Frankenhooker, maybe? Or Bride of Reanimator? I know that Bride of Frankenstein is the obvious answer here, but what takes second place?
This story has brought me great enjoyment and I only wish you had the picture. I recall an old thread from RT where someone was screencapping some bodybuilding forum where someone had built a woman and it was equal parts hysterical and horrifying.

As for building a woman... While I'd say it's obvious that this is the case in both films, it is treated as a reveal at the end so...

Spoilers for a couple of Spanish giallo...
the House that Screamed and Pieces
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:06 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:12 am
Yeah, it's a weird little community. Most people walk around in worn out clothing, and then you talk to them and they are literally geniuses and rocket scientists.

The man who was building a woman did not return for the second day of the festival (or at least not to my area). I think he was more lonely than dangerous, but the image was . . . something.

In retrospect my favorite thing he said to me was "She's started doing computations with negative numbers. I mean, ha, who knows where she learned to do that!". I think he's building/programming like a home-brew Alexa/Siri type computer program?

So to skew back on topic, favorite "building a woman" horror? Frankenhooker, maybe? Or Bride of Reanimator? I know that Bride of Frankenstein is the obvious answer here, but what takes second place?
I like Weird Science quite a bit.
Frankenhooker is way up there for me, too.
Maybe The Man With Two Brains.
Ex Machina is a recent favorite.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:18 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:01 am
This story has brought me great enjoyment and I only wish you had the picture. I recall an old thread from RT where someone was screencapping some bodybuilding forum where someone had built a woman and it was equal parts hysterical and horrifying.
Imagine [this head (without curlers), attached to [url=https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 28555.html]this body[/qurl] (but only from the neck down to the waist and with no arms and dark colored wood. The "woman" was wearing glasses and also a Santa hat and scarf (because she was "dressed for the holidays").

Honestly, for about two minutes of talking to him by brain was slightly in fight-or-flight mode and I didn't retain everything he said. In my memory the whole thing is slightly surreal.
Wooley wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:06 am
I like Weird Science quite a bit.
Frankenhooker is way up there for me, too.
Maybe The Man With Two Brains.
Ex Machina is a recent favorite.
Ex Machina is an interesting choice.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:02 am

Apparently the Soska sisters remade Rabid and it's not very good.

Everything about sentence annoys me.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:04 am

Why is that so much worse than a real doll or even a blow up doll? It just is...

Also, the remake of Black X-Mas is dope. It looks like it takes place in the same hyper-reality of garish colors and ultra violence that Punisher War Zone took place in. It's got a solid cast and riffed on plots and fleshed out areas the original hinted at that came out fairly different than expected. I had a lot of splattery fun with it. The original is a masterpiece and this isn't but that is about as negative as I could get with it.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:54 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:04 am
Why is that so much worse than a real doll or even a blow up doll? It just is...
I mean, being shown it on a camera while I was trying to work surely didn't help.
Also, the remake of Black X-Mas is dope. It looks like it takes place in the same hyper-reality of garish colors and ultra violence that Punisher War Zone took place in. It's got a solid cast and riffed on plots and fleshed out areas the original hinted at that came out fairly different than expected. I had a lot of splattery fun with it. The original is a masterpiece and this isn't but that is about as negative as I could get with it.
Reeeeeeally?

That's interesting, because everything I've seen related to it (ie the DVD cover and the trailer) made it look like garbage. Also, Black Christmas is one of my favorite horror films, so I'll admit that I'm going in very skeptical.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:05 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:54 am
I mean, being shown it on a camera while I was trying to work surely didn't help.

Reeeeeeally?

That's interesting, because everything I've seen related to it (ie the DVD cover and the trailer) made it look like garbage. Also, Black Christmas is one of my favorite horror films, so I'll admit that I'm going in very skeptical.
Was it a little point and shoot camera or a DSLR? I don't know which is worse.

I'd heard this film compared to the Fog, Prom Night and When a Stranger Calls in terms of horror remakes but I found it to be far superior. I also came in with those expectations so I was shocked when I enjoyed it.

Keep in mind, that I'm a sucker for slasher films in general but the film delivered on pretty much every front I hope for. The film seemed to realize it couldn't match the style, tone or plot of the first without coming out poorly so it just took it in an extreme stylistic direction. My friend I was watching it with said "It feels like a slasher produced by Tim Burton." It's a silly, formulaic film but everyone is really trying and I feel like it would be a great watch with a rowdy crowd.

I watched the unrated cut so maybe that is sizeably better?

I'm gonna champion this film now as one of the better horror remakes of the last 20 years. It's not quite up there with Maniac or Dawn of the Dead but I don't think it's that far off either. I suspect it would pair nicely with P2.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:29 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:05 am
Was it a little point and shoot camera or a DSLR? I don't know which is worse.

I'd heard this film compared to the Fog, Prom Night and When a Stranger Calls in terms of horror remakes but I found it to be far superior. I also came in with those expectations so I was shocked when I enjoyed it.

Keep in mind, that I'm a sucker for slasher films in general but the film delivered on pretty much every front I hope for. The film seemed to realize it couldn't match the style, tone or plot of the first without coming out poorly so it just took it in an extreme stylistic direction. My friend I was watching it with said "It feels like a slasher produced by Tim Burton." It's a silly, formulaic film but everyone is really trying and I feel like it would be a great watch with a rowdy crowd.

I watched the unrated cut so maybe that is sizeably better?

I'm gonna champion this film now as one of the better horror remakes of the last 20 years. It's not quite up there with Maniac or Dawn of the Dead but I don't think it's that far off either. I suspect it would pair nicely with P2.
It was just a little digital camera, like the size of a deck of cards.

I'll have to think on the Black Christmas remake, though generally speaking I'm a much bigger fan of remakes just doing their own thing than being a watered down version of the original.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:34 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:29 am
It was just a little digital camera, like the size of a deck of cards.

I'll have to think on the Black Christmas remake, though generally speaking I'm a much bigger fan of remakes just doing their own thing than being a watered down version of the original.
I think the pocket camera is creepier.

It’s definitely of the vein of remake where the premise is the same but they approach it in a wildly different way. Unlike, say, Rob Zombie’s Halloween, there was never a point in which it felt like a retread where I’d seen it before and better. There was also what I found a pretty pragmatic take on the “call is coming from inside the house” formula that recognizes that it’s been done to death and recognizes cell phones have made that antiquated.

I wasn’t prepared to like the film this much let alone at all.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:04 am

Does May qualify?

Because then May's deffo in the mix.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:06 am

DaMU wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:04 am
Does May qualify?

Sexist.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:22 am

DaMU wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:04 am
Does May qualify?

Was May's creation female? I mean,
we know that it had those great legs and was eventually named Amy. But it was a mix of male and female parts, right?
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:05 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:22 am
Was May's creation female? I mean,
we know that it had those great legs and was eventually named Amy. But it was a mix of male and female parts, right?
I guess Amy is nonbinary, fair point.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:07 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:06 am
Sexist.

What's wrong with bein' sexy?
NOTE:
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:13 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:34 am
I think the pocket camera is creepier.

It’s definitely of the vein of remake where the premise is the same but they approach it in a wildly different way. Unlike, say, Rob Zombie’s Halloween, there was never a point in which it felt like a retread where I’d seen it before and better. There was also what I found a pretty pragmatic take on the “call is coming from inside the house” formula that recognizes that it’s been done to death and recognizes cell phones have made that antiquated.

I wasn’t prepared to like the film this much let alone at all.
I just realized that you're talking about the remake that just came out (that I was totally unaware of) and not the 2006 remake.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:28 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:13 am
I just realized that you're talking about the remake that just came out (that I was totally unaware of) and not the 2006 remake.
Erroneous! I’m talking about the oft maligned ‘06 remake as I have not been well enough to see the new remake which has had TWO plans foiled to see by a single cold.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:23 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:28 am
Erroneous! I’m talking about the oft maligned ‘06 remake as I have not been well enough to see the new remake which has had TWO plans foiled to see by a single cold.
Huh-WHAT?

Interesting! It came out when I was a video store employee, and repeated viewings of the trailer and looking at the DVD cover did not leave me with a good impression.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:13 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:23 pm
Huh-WHAT?

Interesting! It came out when I was a video store employee, and repeated viewings of the trailer and looking at the DVD cover did not leave me with a good impression.
I'm surprised too. I picked it for a couple bucks on a whim and decided to save it for this holiday season and pair it with the new remake. I watched it on Wednesday, expecting to hate it and set an open minded table for the newest one, for which I had tickets to see on Thursday. Woke up sick Thursday and it’s tanked my whole weekend. Convinced it’s Captain Tripps.

Anywho, ‘06 has Katie Cassidy, Michelle Trachtenberg, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, and Lacey Chabert as it’s sorority cast and given their relative talents and successes, along with my attachment to each of them for various reasons, really made the film seem like any of them could or should be the “survivor girl” and when they happen to get picked off, it’s usually in a ghoulishly gory and darkly funny way.

Plus, I’m just a sucker for aesthetics so it’s vibrant Christmas color scheme and creative camera movement clearly meant everyone was TRYING.

At the end of the day, they turned Black Christmas into a traditional, albeit stylish, slasher with a great cast. If you enjoy slashers or atypical remakes that just run with the basic idea, there’s enjoyment to be had.

But I’m also the guy that rewatched The Prowler and Terrifier this weekend and enjoyed myself a great deal. I’m likely not to be trusted.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:40 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:13 pm

But I’m also the guy that rewatched The Prowler and Terrifier this weekend and enjoyed myself a great deal. I’m likely not to be trusted.
Did you do this just to goad me?! Maybe my two least favorite horror-movies ever? Why do you taunt me so?
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:35 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:40 pm
Did you do this just to goad me?! Maybe my two least favorite horror-movies ever? Why do you taunt me so?
Join me, Wools. Give up your rotten ways and embrace the low brow slasher!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:02 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:35 pm
Join me, Wools. Give up your rotten ways and embrace the low brow slasher!
I mean, I'm a fan of The Final Terror, House On Sorority Row, Terror Train, My Bloody Valentine, Slumber Party Massacre, Hell Night...
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:35 pm

Wooley wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:02 pm
I mean, I'm a fan of The Final Terror, House On Sorority Row, Terror Train, My Bloody Valentine, Slumber Party Massacre, Hell Night...
So close... Just remember how much you love Savini...
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:44 pm

Frankenstein (1931) - 7/10

I liked, but didn't love this classic. Before I get into my issues with it though, I'll first state that the story impressed me quite a bit. Instead of following Mary Shelley's novel, Whale chose to focus on the cruelty of man, specifically on how the monster's creators caused the monster to act the way it did due to their inhumane treatment of it. The monster was shown not to be evil, but playful and of a childlike demeanor. It was only when it felt threatened that it was a danger to those around it. If its creators had properly cared for it, the fates of everyone involved with it likely would have turned out differently as was highly implied by the controversial scene at the lake. This scene serves as a reminder of how sweet the monster could've been had it been treated differently. Unfortunately, this brief moment of joy is quickly cut short due to the monster's lack of intelligence, making for one of the most iconic moments in horror. In addition, I also enjoyed other aspects to the film such as the visuals in certain sequences (the creation of the monster and the windmill) and some of the horror elements (grave-robbing and raising the dead). Overall though, I'd say it's the tragedy of the story which is at the forefront of the film. At the same time though, I felt that certain major story elements were rushed. While some scenes may get the job done, I also felt that, at times, the film was edited solely to them and didn't allow a scene to breathe. As for notable examples of this, I'd list the scenes of Henry and Fritz poorly treating the monster and causing it to turn violent and even the scene with Maria (which is still powerful, but I sadly couldn't help but get this feeling out of it). I also felt that the final act could've used a further round of editing. For instance,
how was Maria's father so certain that she was murdered and that she didn't just drown? A scene of him seeing the monster run away would've solved this issue.
Also, the whole "Out of everywhere the monster could go throughout the environment, it happens to coincidentally stumble across one of the main characters" thing I've seen in some monster movies is something which has always bugged me (I'm referring to
when it attacks Elizabeth
). However, I still enjoyed it quite a lot and found that the story was strong enough to shine through these issues, even though it possibly could've had more of an impact on me if it was a bit longer.

The Bride of Frankenstein (1935) - 9/10

I watched this one afterwards, and I enjoyed it quite a bit more. Yes, I know that it's about the same length, but I actually felt like it gives the individual story elements more time to breathe. For instance, I think I enjoyed the scene with the blind man more than the lake scene in the original. While both of these scenes have similar concepts (i.e. the monster is capable of being sweet if treated properly, but its lack of intelligence/its treatment by other people end up dooming it), the extra time it spends with the blind man allowed me to connect more with the scene and feel more of the emotions it gave before it climaxed. As for the rest of the film, it was pretty powerful. While the first film focuses solely on the cruelty of man, this one shows more about what the monster could've been like if it was treated better. Specifically, its sweet demeanor which is shown in moments such as the aforementioned blind man scene and the scene of it rescuing someone from drowning, an aspect which is only touched on in the original. Due to this, the experiment to help build a mate for the monster was in response to its treatment by the other people throughout the village. Its purpose was to help it find a companion who hopefully wouldn't be scared of it. The result of this experiment is pretty powerful and served as a satisfying payoff for the film. In addition, like the previous film, the film has some pretty spectacular visual set pieces, quite a bit more than the previous film I'd say. For instance, the opening is pretty creepy, the miniature people in the bottles is pretty impressive to watch, and the final act is full of all kinds of outstanding shots of visual artistry and creativity. As for some of the other characters, Doctor Pretorius stood out to me the most as he had such a creepy physical presence that he made up for the scenes where the monster wasn't present in. Also, Minnie was both charismatic and slightly annoying at times, but she fortunately wasn't in the film that much to hang on it for me. Overall, while I wouldn't say that the story is quite as much of a gut punch as the one in the original, I think that the less tightened pacing is ultimately what made it resonate with me much more. That, in addition to the visuals and Doctor Pretorius, all add up to make it a better film to my eyes.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:38 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:35 pm
So close... Just remember how much you love Savini...
Yeah, I guess that's a thing, I don't just love Savini for Savini's sake. At least not enough to like The Prowler. Although I did agree to watch it again next October. Jesus, I didn't agree to rewatch Prom Night too, did I? :(
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:41 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:44 pm
Frankenstein (1931) - 7/10

I liked, but didn't love this classic. Before I get into my issues with it though, I'll first state that the story impressed me quite a bit. Instead of following Mary Shelley's novel, Whale chose to focus on the cruelty of man, specifically on how the monster's creators caused the monster to act the way it did due to their inhumane treatment of it. The monster was shown not to be evil, but playful and of a childlike demeanor. It was only when it felt threatened that it was a danger to those around it. If its creators had properly cared for it, the fates of everyone involved with it likely would have turned out differently as was highly implied by the controversial scene at the lake. This scene serves as a reminder of how sweet the monster could've been had it been treated differently. Unfortunately, this brief moment of joy is quickly cut short due to the monster's lack of intelligence, making for one of the most iconic moments in horror. In addition, I also enjoyed other aspects to the film such as the visuals in certain sequences (the creation of the monster and the windmill) and some of the horror elements (grave-robbing and raising the dead). Overall though, I'd say it's the tragedy of the story which is at the forefront of the film. At the same time though, I felt that certain major story elements were rushed. While some scenes may get the job done, I also felt that, at times, the film was edited solely to them and didn't allow a scene to breathe. As for notable examples of this, I'd list the scenes of Henry and Fritz poorly treating the monster and causing it to turn violent and even the scene with Maria (which is still powerful, but I sadly couldn't help but get this feeling out of it). I also felt that the final act could've used a further round of editing. For instance,
how was Maria's father so certain that she was murdered and that she didn't just drown? A scene of him seeing the monster run away would've solved this issue.
Also, the whole "Out of everywhere the monster could go throughout the environment, it happens to coincidentally stumble across one of the main characters" thing I've seen in some monster movies is something which has always bugged me (I'm referring to
when it attacks Elizabeth
). However, I still enjoyed it quite a lot and found that the story was strong enough to shine through these issues, even though it possibly could've had more of an impact on me if it was a bit longer.

The Bride of Frankenstein (1935) - 9/10

I watched this one afterwards, and I enjoyed it quite a bit more. Yes, I know that it's about the same length, but I actually felt like it gives the individual story elements more time to breathe. For instance, I think I enjoyed the scene with the blind man more than the lake scene in the original. While both of these scenes have similar concepts (i.e. the monster is capable of being sweet if treated properly, but its lack of intelligence/its treatment by other people end up dooming it), the extra time it spends with the blind man allowed me to connect more with the scene and feel more of the emotions it gave before it climaxed. As for the rest of the film, it was pretty powerful. While the first film focuses solely on the cruelty of man, this one shows more about what the monster could've been like if it was treated better. Specifically, its sweet demeanor which is shown in moments such as the aforementioned blind man scene and the scene of it rescuing someone from drowning, an aspect which is only touched on in the original. Due to this, the experiment to help build a mate for the monster was in response to its treatment by the other people throughout the village. Its purpose was to help it find a companion who'd hopefully wouldn't be scared of it. The result of this experiment is pretty powerful and served as a satisfying payoff for the film. In addition, like the previous film, the film has some pretty spectacular visual set pieces, quite a bit more than the previous film I'd say. For instance, the opening is pretty creepy, the miniature people in the bottles is pretty impressive to watch, and the final act is full of all kinds of outstanding shots of visual artistry and creativity. As for some of the other characters, Doctor Pretorius stood out to me the most as he had such a creepy physical presence that he made up for the scenes where the monster wasn't present in. Also, Minnie was both charismatic and slightly annoying at times, but she fortunately wasn't in the film that much to hang on it for me. Overall, while I wouldn't say that the story is quite as much of a gut punch as the one in the original, I think that the less tightened pacing is ultimately what made it resonate with me much more. That, in addition to the visuals and Doctor Pretorius, all add up to make it a better film to my eyes.
Just keep watching.
Son Of Frankenstein is good fun in a very different way and is a real treat for anyone who likes Young Frankenstein.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:44 pm

Wooley wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:38 pm
Yeah, I guess that's a thing, I don't just love Savini for Savini's sake. At least not enough to like The Prowler. Although I did agree to watch it again next October. Jesus, I didn't agree to rewatch Prom Night too, did I? :(
Grow to love Savini for Savini's same. Watch or rewatch Maniac. His gore is majestic and elevates all projects to at least "watchable."
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:26 am

Wooley wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:41 pm
Just keep watching.
Son Of Frankenstein is good fun in a very different way and is a real treat for anyone who likes Young Frankenstein.
Okay, I'll consider that one in the future. I'm also a fan of Young Frankenstein.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:00 am

This is a most sinister nexus of 80s mediocrity: Robert Urich (Ice Pirates) and wife Joanna Cassidy (Blade Runner) take their kids, Barret Oliver (Neverending Story, D.A.R.Y.L) and Soleil Moon Frye (Punky Brewster) to what appears to be a replica of Cuesta Verde (Poltergeist) to start a new job with Kevin McCarthy (Uncle Walt) where his family find themselves under the saucy temptations of 80s soap queen Susan Lucci, who's hosting a Stepford Wife-esque Satanic Body Snatcher cult (with a small dash of Punky with Pazuzu-voice), which is also populated by a number of recognizably anonymous 80s faces like Joe Regalbuto and Nicholas Worth. High cliche on spin-cycle. Also of interest to a certain breed of precocious 80s bowl-cut boy, this is the only film that I'm aware of that stars both Barret Oliver and Jason Presson (Explorers), the latter playing the former's bully. Barret Oliver also has the unintended effect of providing a useful Scientology allusion to its theme of perfidious conformity.

Luckily for Wes Craven, his preternaturally novel Nightmare on Elm Street has allowed all of the rest of his faceless efforts around it (Stranger in Our House, Swamp Thing, Deadly Blessing, Deadly Friend) to blissfully fade into their deserved obscurity, but a film such as this does some adequete justice of reminding viewers just what a tepid talent Craven has always been. I suppose there's a crass nobility in that.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:03 am

Black Christmas (2019) - WTF

Holy crap, you all, this movie. For the first 2/3, it's a serviceable sort of PG-13 "teenage girl's first horror film," not as enjoyable as Happy Death Day, but with an empathetic turn from Imogen Poots and the promise of some appealingly blunt messaging. Example: Cary Elwes' professor is coded as a Jordan Peterson sort, and one of the first character interactions in the sorority involves a menstrual cup. Director Sophia Takal even dusts off the ol' zoom lens to give some extra '70s oomph to the tracking shots that cover the girls as they circle down staircases and share medium-wides. There were times I was a bit concerned, like when one otherwise nice fraternity boy says "I like beer" in a go-nowhere do-nothing evocation of Brett Kavanaugh...

But oh my effing eff the first two thirds of this movie give way to one of the most inept, graceless, incoherent, bungled final acts I've ever seen in a horror movie, where the feminist/patriarchal themes of the movie go from obvious to a level of blaring insufferableness while the violence of what was clearly an R-rated original cut gets shredded in the name of accessibility, cutting out coherency along with graphic gore. By the end, no joke, I'd shrunk into my seat and covered my mouth to suppress disbelieving giggles. Characters lose all sense of peripheral vision, a lame reason is given for the dark color of the on-screen blood, ADR dialogue betrays the lack of confidence in the audience, and the grand finale involves an utterly inept battle royale.

Meanwhile, late-breaking reveals in the plot, per Ebert, will be a surprise to anyone who has never seen a movie before.

The most disappointing element, though, is that the film's subtext too quickly becomes the aforementioned blaring insufferable text. Believe me, I want movies like this (in theory). I want movies where women help each other and process trauma and deal with the threat that men can pose. I want young women to see them too. I agree that fraternities are corrosive systems. Small details, like keys jutting from between a woman's clenched fingers, feel exactly right. Please, God, drag on Jordan Peterson and his half-assed biosocial Jungian bullshit. But this movie goes so deliriously far with that, becomes so literal and explicit and unrelenting and smug about it.

Imagine a feminist film pitched at the intellectual level of every kid who learns about Native Americans for the first time and then struts into their dining room on Thanksgiving because boy have they got some Things to Say.
NOTE:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:58 pm

I dunno, DaMU. Sounds like you hate women and women made films to me.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:38 pm

I'm never going to forget how bad this movie was. Other perfectly fine movies will recede from my memory like a morning mist. But this fucking thing will always be there.
NOTE:
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:55 pm

DaMU wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:03 am
Black Christmas (2019) - WTF

Imagine a feminist film pitched at the intellectual level of every kid who learns about Native Americans for the first time and then struts into their dining room on Thanksgiving because boy have they got some Things to Say.
It's such a bummer. Way too many films want to address female protagonists and the prevalence and insidiousness of gender-based violence. And then so many of them just slide right away from nuance into this place that's like MEN BAD! SMASH SMASH!!!

I felt this exact same frustration with American Mary, which, *SPOILERS! BIG ONES!*
begins as a film about both gender and class discrimination in the medical field, begins to build a complex (and weird!) protagonist, and then decides, you know what?, horror movies with women can only be about rape/revenge and goes in that direction.
I think that horror should be the *perfect* genre for exploring some of these things in a mix of literal and allegorical ways, and it's really sad to me how often it goes to that very dumb, shrill place.

But, you know, points for promoting menstrual cups! One step at a time!
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:08 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:55 pm
It's such a bummer. Way too many films want to address female protagonists and the prevalence and insidiousness of gender-based violence. And then so many of them just slide right away from nuance into this place that's like MEN BAD! SMASH SMASH!!!

I felt this exact same frustration with American Mary, which, *SPOILERS! BIG ONES!*
begins as a film about both gender and class discrimination in the medical field, begins to build a complex (and weird!) protagonist, and then decides, you know what?, horror movies with women can only be about rape/revenge and goes in that direction.
I think that horror should be the *perfect* genre for exploring some of these things in a mix of literal and allegorical ways, and it's really sad to me how often it goes to that very dumb, shrill place.

But, you know, points for promoting menstrual cups! One step at a time!
Yes! American Mary had a very similar vibe where you think it's headed into interesting thematic territory, and then it's just the most banal sort of "empowerment."
NOTE:
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:28 pm

DaMU wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:08 am
Yes! American Mary had a very similar vibe where you think it's headed into interesting thematic territory, and then it's just the most banal sort of "empowerment."
I will admit that watching rapists get shot in the face is very satisfying, but violent acts of domination as a response to violent acts of domination tends to feel like a very shallow kind of resolution.

I don't know. As my work with children and my conversations with my friends/acquaintances bring me into more and more contact with people who have had experiences of violence and trauma, I feel like the brief rush that comes with revenge needs to be supplemented with something else more sustaining. I'm not sure exactly what that would look like in a horror film, but I feel like I've seen bits and pieces of it here and there.

I can respect in a movie like Mandy that the
revenge enacted by the main character has actually kind of destroyed him.

But when you think about slasher films and the trope of the "final girl", it is such an isolating position to be in. Something that I really loved about, for example, 10 Cloverfield Lane was the degree to which the relationship between Michelle and Emmett was shown to be an important part of both her physical and psychological survival.
topherH

Post by topherH » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:51 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:58 pm
I dunno, DaMU. Sounds like you hate women and women made films to me.
:up:
State of Siege |Gavras, 1972| +
Deadpool |Miller, 2016| +
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:50 am

I liked (but did not love) The Duke of Burgandy, mainly enjoying its visuals.

I LOVE Marianne Jean-Baptiste.

I hate shopping.

This is on my winter break to-watch list:
Rock

Post by Rock » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:39 am

I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's essentially Strickland doing sitcom-level humour in a really flamboyant, controlled giallo style. The looser, more scattershot narrative also makes it feel a bit more cohesive (I found The Duke of Burgundy and Berberian Sound Studio kind of stumbled through their third acts, while this one more or less sidesteps the problem).
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:09 pm

Rock wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:39 am
I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's essentially Strickland doing sitcom-level humour in a really flamboyant, controlled giallo style. The looser, more scattershot narrative also makes it feel a bit more cohesive (I found The Duke of Burgundy and Berberian Sound Studio kind of stumbled through their third acts, while this one more or less sidesteps the problem).
This pretty much captures how I feel about Strickland, though I think the third act is ultimately the strongest act of Duke. I found the power dynamics to be the most interesting part of the whole thing but only really enjoyed it in hindsight.

I'm interested in In Fabric. Anyone know when or where it hits streaming?
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:01 am

Treehouse (Into the Dark series)

A friend of mine was asking about the Into the Dark series, and she's watched several of the second season episodes. I told her that I'd watched the first three and had a mixed reaction (hated the first one, liked the second one, really liked the third one). As I was skimming the wikipedia list of episodes, the cast of the entry called "Treehouse" really caught my eye: Sutton Foster (sadly in a pretty small role), Mary McCormack, Jimmi SImpson, Stephanie Beatriz.

I went in without knowing much and, unfortunately, it kind of matches the discussion we've just been having.

The plot follows a B-list celebrity chef called Peter (Simpson) who returns to his childhood home. He encounters a group of women supposedly on a bachelorette weekend and soon it becomes clear that there's more going on. It's clear that Peter has been (and currently is) embroiled in scandals relating to his treatment of women at his workplace, and also that there's possibly a darker history at his childhood home.

Now, there were things that I liked about this one. To begin with, Jimmi Simpson goes all in with his character. This is a man who repeatedly crosses the line, but clearly has managed to convince himself that he is in the right. (When he talks about firing a woman he harassed, his claim that "We came to that decision together" is said with such sincerity). There were also some pretty creepy images and sequences, including one part where a masked figure slowly ascends the stairs toward the frozen main character. Lastly, the film was directed by James Roday, whose main claim to fame is Psych. His writing voice is incredibly distinctive, and I'm a fan. He has a depth of pop culture reference that I find enjoyable (when Peter sees a black goat in the yard, he calls to the housekeeper, asking about "Black Phillip romping around in the garden", or later saying that women exaggerate childbirth and make it sound "like the third act of Akira").

But, urg, the earnest attempt to comment on the MeToo movement mostly comes off as ham-fisted and muddled. Everything about it is so broad (the women manage to mention every typical grievance--workplace harassment, date rape, athletes getting away with sexual assault, etc). And while the film is pretty funny in its earlier scenes, there was clearly some discomfort with trying to marry snarky dark humor with the content of the movie, and so it oscillates between humor and clunky sincere moments. Despite wanting to allow the female characters to tell their stories, they are all thinly developed and shallowly written (Beatriz's snarky Puerto Rican valley girl is cringe-inducing as she actually talks about "draining the swamp" and "bad hombres").

It's a real shame, because the first third is really promising and a nice mix of funny and ominous. Then it all slowly goes off the rails.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:55 pm

After continued consideration and discussion, I think I'm just gonna have to say that Midsommar, for all its craft, was a failure.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:37 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:55 pm
After continued consideration and discussion, I think I'm just gonna have to say that Midsommar, for all its craft, was a failure.
I'll have to agree with that. Other than the viuals, the admittedly shocking final act, and a couple scenes throughout, it's pretty meh in my eyes.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:05 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:55 pm
Failure is a big word.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:16 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:05 pm
Failure is a big word.
I think it has some great moments in the final act and some other memorable scenes sprinkled throughout, but the more I think about it and the more I read what people here have been saying about the character motivations (Wooley, Thief), the more I'm convinced that it misses more than it hits. I initially gave it a 7/10, but now, I'd go as low as a 5/10. It's a real shame, because I really, really love Hereditary and I wanted to love this one as well.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:18 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:05 pm
Failure is a big word.
A narrative failure. There, I focused it.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:20 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:16 pm
I think it has some great moments in the final act and some other scenes memorable sprinkled throughout, but the more I think about it and the more I read what people here have been saying about the character motivations (Wooley, Thief), the more I'm convinced that it misses more than it hits. I initially gave it a 7/10, but now, I'd go as low as a 5/10. It's a real shame, because I really, really love Hereditary and I wanted to love this one as well.
Yeah, I think 5/10 is where I'd go.
Which, considering the craft of the movie is probably a 9-10, is a pretty big failure from a narrative perspective. Like I would go as far as to say that the story is terrible, with a few strong moments that cannot redeem the overall and specific shortcomings of the script because the script is bad enough that if the craft were not so great, we would be outright panning this film as a bad horror movie that people should just flat-out skip.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:35 pm

New Year, New You (Into the Dark)

My friend has me back into this series, so now I'm watching them in order. This one is (obviously) the January episode. It was directed by Sophia Takal, who just made the remake of Black Christmas.

Four old high school friends (Alexis, Danielle, Kaela, and Chloe) decide to meet up for a New Year's eve party. Brief flashbacks and ominous shots of them in old photos show us that *something* bad happened in the house when they were younger. In the present, Alexis sports a nasty scar on her face and works as a babysitter. Danielle, on the other hand, has achieved internet fame with her wellness vlogging and is on the cusp of a network deal for a TV show. The party carries on for a good while as a female bonding ideal: The house is equipped with a sauna, the ladies sit around in face masks and drink champagne, and then a game of "I never" takes a turn . . .

Much like the episode I just watched, Treehouse, this episode centers on someone who has done wrong being taken to task by people from their past. This one, however, is actually pretty good.

To begin with, the dynamics between the friends are pretty well written. They are all in very different places in their lives, and the passive-aggressive way that they take little swipes at each other are very well written. The mix of jealousy and anger makes it hard to tell, sometimes, why the different women are being aggressive with each other.

Probably the most fun aspect of the film is the way that it parodies wellness culture, really driving home how often wellness/fitness personalities are really just flexing (their beauty, their wealth) and chasing money. Nonsensical affirmations and organic juices sold to fans who believe that they could have the same successes. But my favorite element of the film (MODERATE SPOILERS) is that
it becomes really clear that the anger that the other girls have against Danielle is half being mad at what she did to their other friend and half just genuine "it should have been me" jealousy.

The only real drawback to this one was that, like many of these episodes, it lacks nuance as it goes along. In this format of the over-the-top slasher, this lack of nuance doesn't feel as out of place, but it still chafes a bit. For example, at one point Danielle is put in a green face mask and thick lipstick and she looks a LOT like a certain Batman villain.

Overall the action is pretty good and the film makes good use of the mansion setting. The direction feels very 80s, but in a good way. There are a LOT of shots in mirrors, which does thematically fit the whole internet culture element, but becomes a very noticeable choice as it gets repeated.

I'd probably put this right under Pooka in terms of being my favorite of the series so far, though I think that the style choices in Pooka would probably be more divisive.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:04 am

Down (Into the Dark)

This is the Valentine's Day episode.

A Busy Career Woman, Jen, decides that she will fly up to New York and patch things up with her boyfriend, Derek. The last one to leave the office for a long weekend (it's Valentine's Day and Presidents' Day), Jen holds the elevator door for another office worker, Guy. As the two begin the long descent to the parking levels, their friendly banter is interrupted when the elevator suddenly stops. As the hours tick by (and with us knowing it's a horror film), the question becomes who has stopped the elevator and why? Was it Guy? Jen? Some other, unseen party?

Here's a familiar refrain: it started out pretty good. In fact, I really enjoyed about the first 25-30 minutes. The chemistry between the two leads is really good. As they pass the time telling stories and drawing horrible portraits of each other, their burgeoning friendship/romance feels very genuine.

And then, of course, they have sex. And after that (protracted, unnecessarily long) scene, things just go downhill.

I'm not that familiar with Matt Lauria, the actor who plays Guy. I see that he was in Friday Night Lights and I recognize the name of his character (Luke Cafferty), but he's not someone I really had an opinion of one way or the other. In the first 25 minutes I was like "Wow! He is really charming! This is a much better quality of acting than you usually get in these kind of things!". But then he switches over into psycho mode and it gets very trite. Think like a C-grade version of P2. Natalie Martinez, who plays Jen, has a more consistent character to hold onto for the whole film, and she fares far better.

I am a total sucker for films that take place in single settings and especially those with a really limited cast. And to that degree, I did appreciate that the film went a few unexpected places in the last half.

Overall, however, this one doesn't do much to add to the "woman held hostage by man in love with her" subgenre. The first third is above average, but the rest of it is pretty middling.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:17 am

I'm Just F---ing With You (Into the Dark, April)

Last one of the night, and it's another meh.

A man named Larry exists online as a persona called Programming Flaw, and ruthlessly trolls others, especially his ex-girlfriend whose wedding he is set to attend the next day. Larry checks into a seedy motel run by a man named Chester. Chester and another guest, a biker named Gerry, quickly begin a routine of pranks against Larry. Larry plays along, but soon becomes annoyed as the pranks escalate.

The pranks get more dangerous, Larry's sister also arrives at the hotel, and Chester's repeated reassurances that "I'm just f*cking with ya!" get less and less convincing.

I will admit that this one had an appealing manic energy at points. The actor playing Chester goes all in, and his character is mostly entertaining. The film is a lot more cringe than it is horror, but there are some effective moments here and there.

This is, however, the third of these films where I've thought "Oh, this must almost be over", only to pause the film and see that there are still 20 minutes left! All of these movies (regularly clocking in at about 80 minutes) are too long.

There could be something interesting to say about the harm done by anonymous trolling versus the harm done by people in person, including the mentality of "internet tough guys" who tend to see themselves as victims. But the film doesn't seem interested in this idea aside from a few broad strokes. Mostly it just wants to amp up the crazy and let its main actor turn it loose.

I'd be interested to hear another person's reaction to this one. I feel like the film pulls its punches a bit, and that the crazy level of gore that should come with it just isn't there. I'm not familiar with this director's other films (I've seen their covers, but haven't watched any of them), so I don't know how it stacks up to his other work.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:52 am

All That We Destroy (Into the Dark)

So this is the May episode, based on Mother's Day.

In a near-future desert mansion, a teen boy named Spencer and his mother live in seclusion. Well, secluded from everyone except for an unfortunate series of clones. Spencer, you see, is your run-of-the-mill serial killer/psychopath. With the bodies of several family pets buried in the backyard, Spencer has long since graduated to strangling women. Spencer's mother, Victoria, has a notion that she can "cure" her son--not by actually removing his murderous impulses, but rather by providing home-brewed clones (of the first woman he killed) so that he can get his "fix" and maybe avoid killing "real" women. But can Spencer learn to control his impulses between clone kills? Will his crush on a real human woman reform him? Can you guess the answer to the two previous questions?

Look--I kind of love the whole "are they real" trope in science fiction when it comes to robots or clones or other artificially created life. Victoria's dehumanizing view of the clones (preferring to say "it" instead of "she") is something she does to feel better about the painful deaths she subjects them to. And, honestly, I thought that there were some interesting avenues that could have been explored in this script. I don't know if anyone here would remember, but several years back as CGI was becoming more and more realistic looking, there were some discussions about whether or not entirely CGI pornography featuring children should be illegal. After all, no actual children would be exploited in its creation. But would such imagery inspire more people to abuse children? Or would having an outlet for their fantasies actually help people with those urges? I do think that it's an interesting question, both morally and legally. What are our obligations to artificial life? How can we know whether or not such creations experience "real" emotions?

Unfortunately, All That We Destroy doesn't seem that interested in asking . . . any questions. Like, at all. We just watch Spencer over and over killing the same woman in the same way, having awkward conversations with his mother about whether or not the latest incarnation was "real" enough. It's yet another entry in this series that feels like a good 20-30 minutes of content was added to pad it out to feature length. And while I don't mind sci-fi that doesn't explain everything, I was left with a lot of questions about how the cloning process worked, especially once it seems that the clones are changing from incarnation to incarnation.

Not the worst thing in the world, but not one I'd recommend.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:38 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:18 pm
A narrative failure. There, I focused it.
Let the tyranny of narrative go!!! Think of how many more movies you will love!!!

That said, I don't think Midsommar is all that narratively problematic. No doubt there are some issues, but reduced to its basics, there really isn't that much to fuck up here.

I think I understand people's narrative complaints of this even less then final act complaints of Hereditary.