Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Discuss anything you want.
Jinnistan

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Jinnistan » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:23 pm

I watched it shortly after your review with this promising picture.

ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:14 pm

Anyone else seen Jack and Diane? Struck me as an admirable effort but unconfident in both the romantic drama and the horror elements so it accidentally undercuts them both and robs them of potency. Keough and Temple made it watchable though.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:28 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:23 pm
I watched it shortly after your review with this promising picture.

I wrote about it?

lol

What am I doing with my life?
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:16 am

You didn't have to take the hit for us on The Grudge.

Nothing about it seemed particularly theater-worthy. More like a Redbox if all the other good titles are checked out entry.
Hipster Thor

Post by Hipster Thor » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:33 am

I need a link to Crumbsroom's Godmonster review. The ending of that film needs to be seen to be believed.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:27 am

Dukefrukem wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:59 pm
you paid to see it??
Friend wanted to go for her birthday.

Also figured, what the hell, Raimi/Tapert produced Crawl and Don't Breathe, maybe there'll be some good stuff.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:28 am

Apex Predator wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:16 am
You didn't have to take the hit for us on The Grudge.
I'm like Christ, except I'm suffering for you all for no especially good reason.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:47 am

DaMU wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:43 am
Fam, the new Grudge flick is a disappointment, except you expected it to be, so it's not, it's just not good. Credit to Andrea Riseborough, William Sadler, Frankie Faison, and I guess Lin Shaye, although she can do these performances in her sleep by this point.
How'd it compare to The Eyes of My Mother and Piercing?
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:22 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:47 am
How'd it compare to The Eyes of My Mother and Piercing?
I'd say the key difference is that The Grudge is a film I've seen while those two are not.
NOTE:
Rock

Post by Rock » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:22 pm

DaMU wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:22 pm
I'd say the key difference is that The Grudge is a film I've seen while those two are not.
Not sure if we can trust your opinion now. Think we need to all go see this movie and report back with our findings, preferably with the Twitter hashtag #TheGrudge somewhere in our posts.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:47 pm

DaMU wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:22 pm
You’re a rare breed, friendo. I thought only us Pesceheads were willing to see it in theaters.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:18 am

Tragedy Girls

This one feels like an almost-great that instead ends up being merely good.

McKayla and Sadie are two high school girls who are obsessed with murders. As in, being able to commit them. We first meet the pair as they capture a local serial killer, holding him hostage and attempting to cajole him into mentoring them in the art of murder. He proves uncooperative, but that doesn't stop the girls from launching a campaign of murder on his behalf, using their social media accounts to capitalize on the attention the killings receive. But as Sadie begins to grow closer to male classmate Jordan (who happens to be the son of the local sheriff), a rift forms between the two girls. Can their friendship hold strong long enough for them to see through their final grand massacre?

Dark comedies where the protagonists are the killers tend to be hit or miss for me. There were moments where the "Hashtag!" girly talk from the two leads felt really forced. In fact, the whole film was kind of up and down for me. At first I found their characters (perky, scrapbooking killers! Like, totes crazy, right?!) annoying. Then I started to vibe with their mania and their frustration as they fail to get the results they want from their killings. But then the ending came along. And while I respect the way that the film committed to the emotional arc between the characters, I felt like I lost my sense of what they were really trying to accomplish.

I did appreciate some fun supporting turns, such as an uncredited (why?) Josh Hutcherson as a cocky classmate or Craig Robinson as a local firefighter. The film moves along at a nice pace. But there was something ultimately a little unsatisfying to me. I'm not sure if it's the social media critique or what. I did like how the film explored the way that (especially with social media), tragedies turn into "events". One scene in which people march to demand justice for a victim shows people in the crowd going "WOO!". It really does show how when horrible things are happening, there's a degree to which people get more into the excitement of it and forget about the humanity of the victims.

I know someone else in here saw this one. Thoughts?
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:25 am

DaMU wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:28 am
I'm like Christ, except I'm suffering for you all for no especially good reason.
Can you get to work on that water into wine bit? I'm thirsty.
Ain't no grave gonna hold this body down
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:56 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:18 am
Tragedy Girls

This one feels like an almost-great that instead ends up being merely good.

McKayla and Sadie are two high school girls who are obsessed with murders. As in, being able to commit them. We first meet the pair as they capture a local serial killer, holding him hostage and attempting to cajole him into mentoring them in the art of murder. He proves uncooperative, but that doesn't stop the girls from launching a campaign of murder on his behalf, using their social media accounts to capitalize on the attention the killings receive. But as Sadie begins to grow closer to male classmate Jordan (who happens to be the son of the local sheriff), a rift forms between the two girls. Can their friendship hold strong long enough for them to see through their final grand massacre?

Dark comedies where the protagonists are the killers tend to be hit or miss for me. There were moments where the "Hashtag!" girly talk from the two leads felt really forced. In fact, the whole film was kind of up and down for me. At first I found their characters (perky, scrapbooking killers! Like, totes crazy, right?!) annoying. Then I started to vibe with their mania and their frustration as they fail to get the results they want from their killings. But then the ending came along. And while I respect the way that the film committed to the emotional arc between the characters, I felt like I lost my sense of what they were really trying to accomplish.

I did appreciate some fun supporting turns, such as an uncredited (why?) Josh Hutcherson as a cocky classmate or Craig Robinson as a local firefighter. The film moves along at a nice pace. But there was something ultimately a little unsatisfying to me. I'm not sure if it's the social media critique or what. I did like how the film explored the way that (especially with social media), tragedies turn into "events". One scene in which people march to demand justice for a victim shows people in the crowd going "WOO!". It really does show how when horrible things are happening, there's a degree to which people get more into the excitement of it and forget about the humanity of the victims.

I know someone else in here saw this one. Thoughts?
Man, I remember seeing trailers for this feeling like I was in for it and then it somehow just slipped away. I'll peep it in September.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:06 pm

Wooley wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:56 am
Man, I remember seeing trailers for this feeling like I was in for it and then it somehow just slipped away. I'll peep it in September.
Yeah, for whatever reason I had a strong negative response to the title, as if I'd heard something bad about it. But it was actually okay.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:21 am

Hipster Thor wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:33 am
I need a link to Crumbsroom's Godmonster review. The ending of that film needs to be seen to be believed.
No link, but it's on the seventh page of my Watching Movies thread.
Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:38 am

Recent spooky viewings:

Pet Sematary (2019) - Better than the godawful 1989 version in most respects, worse in that John Lithgow plays the Fred Gwynne character too obviously he's clearly up to something since the first scene, while Gwynne actually seems neighbourly, which is necessary for the movie to work. Still not good as the scares in the climax are over-the-top and laughable, and like the other version can't make the sight of a crazed tiny ass child remotely frightening. Seimetz and Clarke almost make their characters' arcs work though, and the movie on the whole is another example of how bad horror movies today are much better made than they were a decade or two ago.

Ju-On (2002) - I find this strangely heavy handed given its fairly low key approach, as it has an annoying habit of accompanying its scares with an obvious musical cue. In a broader movie, I wouldn't have noticed or minded as much, but given this one's minimalism, I found it a little distracting. However, the movie started working for me in its finale, when its cryptic, motif-based horror actually started to accumulate. In my extremely limited experience with the J-horror wave starting in the late '90s, I'd put this slightly above Ringu (which I found a bit flat compared to its overlong but atmospheric American remake) and well below Cure and Pulse, which burrowed under my skin far deeper than this one.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:44 am

Rock wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:38 am
Recent spooky viewings:

Ju-On (2002) - I find this strangely heavy handed given its fairly low key approach, as it has an annoying habit of accompanying its scares with an obvious musical cue. In a broader movie, I wouldn't have noticed or minded as much, but given this one's minimalism, I found it a little distracting. However, the movie started working for me in its finale, when its cryptic, motif-based horror actually started to accumulate. In my extremely limited experience with the J-horror wave starting in the late '90s, I'd put this slightly above Ringu (which I found a bit flat compared to its overlong but atmospheric American remake) and well below Cure and Pulse, which burrowed under my skin far deeper than this one.
This movie genuinely scared the shit out of me. But then I watch very little Asian horror.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:53 pm

Rock wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:38 am
In my extremely limited experience with the J-horror wave starting in the late '90s, I'd put this slightly above Ringu (which I found a bit flat compared to its overlong but atmospheric American remake) and well below Cure and Pulse, which burrowed under my skin far deeper than this one.
Feel similarly. Out of that whole mini-movement, Kiyoshi Kurosawa's work feels like the standout. Did you ever see Nakata's Dark Water?
NOTE:
Rock

Post by Rock » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:28 am

Wooley wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:44 am
This movie genuinely scared the shit out of me. But then I watch very little Asian horror.
My (also limited) previous experience with Japanese horror is generally a lot louder and bolder (i.e. Jigoku, Tetsuo, Hausu), which is in pretty stark contrast to the quieter style adopted by this one. I should disclose that I watched this with a horrendous cold (which has not gone away, alas) so I might have been too miserable to feel much fear, but I think the reasons it didn't that well for me outside its finale are two-fold:

1) The low key style that this J-horror wave seems to hold as the norm works better for me when it's going for an effect other than pure fear, which seems to be this movie's primary aim.
2) Said approach also works better for me when the horror is implacable or irrational, whereas I think this one explains it away before the opening credits, greatly lessening the effect for me. I think Ringu is an even better example here, as I found the videotape beyond creepy the first time it's shown but the movie gets less interesting and effective as it proceeded to explain away all the imagery.
DaMU wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:53 pm
Feel similarly. Out of that whole mini-movement, Kiyoshi Kurosawa's work feels like the standout. Did you ever see Nakata's Dark Water?
I have not but might see if my video store carries a copy next time I drop by. The one I'm most interested in is Uzumaki, purely on how fucking weird it sounds (and looks from the handful of screencaps I've seen).
____
Blog!
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:13 am

Rock wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:28 am
I have not but might see if my video store carries a copy next time I drop by. The one I'm most interested in is Uzumaki, purely on how fucking weird it sounds (and looks from the handful of screencaps I've seen).
I like it, but it's one of the few that I remember from that era. If you weren't crazy on Ringu, don't know if it'll do much for you. Uzumaki is worth a watch, for sure, and it does get weird, but boy, after reading Junji Ito's manga, the flick now feels 30% weird instead of 100% weird.
NOTE:
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:26 am

The Last Broadcast (1998) - 4/10

This is, perhaps, the only horror film I can think of which managed to terrify me only to unravel all the potential it had. Throughout most of it, I was really impressed by the mysticism of the whole affair. By refusing to give a clear view or a definitive answer of any kind as to who the killer was (regardless of how many tapes the investigators were able to recover), the film proved to be ambiguously terrifying in the sense that it refused to anchor itself in reality, which is one of my favorite things to see in horror. While watching it, I was ready to rank it alongside Man Bites Dog, The Blair Witch Project and [REC] as one of my favorite found footage films of all time. Disappointingly though,
the ending revealed that there was no Jersey Devil and that the director was the killer all along. Is this reveal surprising? Sure. Does it greatly undermine the value of the film's greatness in the process though? Absolutely.
The reason I'm giving the film a few points though are due to the fact that the structure of it is, admittedly, really appealing (again, not including the ending). While the director initially maintains his objectivity for the first half of the film, giving a The Thin Blue Line feel to it, he's forced to abandon his objectivity and start raising implications as to what could've really happened once the stakes of the case are greatly raised. As a whole though, this is definitely my biggest disappointment in a long time due to how great of a film it was shaping up to be. Oh well, at least I won't have to worry about having nightmares tonight.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:42 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:26 am
The Last Broadcast (1998) - 4/10
It's a very interesting cultural creature. There are a handful of films which contend to be the 1st found footage horror film. That says more about the zeitgeist than derivation. Broadcast isn't half as good as Blair Witch, though it has its moments, but I guess it technically may have been made prior. This precedence doesn't exactly compensate for the media phenomenon of Blair Witch, even it could match it in quality.

It's still pretty fun though. It's more ridiculous, like a poorly made public-access show. The hosts, Steven and Lukas, are very funny, intentionally or otherwise. The film does have effective moments as it rolls along, and offers a number of promising ideas, but I agree with you that the big "reveal" only serves to erase all of that good will and enthusiasm. Again, in the faux-public-access context, it isn't a terrible idea, but its spite is an insult to an audience which has already stretched its benefit of the doubt to the limit.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:17 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:42 am
It's a very interesting cultural creature. There are a handful of films which contend to be the 1st found footage horror film. That says more about the zeitgeist than derivation. Broadcast isn't half as good as Blair Witch, though it has its moments, but I guess it technically may have been made prior. This precedence doesn't exactly compensate for the media phenomenon of Blair Witch, even it could match it in quality.
Is Cannibal Holocaust the first found footage horror film? It's far from being as good as Blair Witch and most of the first half or so isn't shot via handheld cameras, but it's the earliest film I can think of which introduced the found footage concept at the very least.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:38 am

You know when you're having a really rough time, just really down, and you think, "How can I make myself feel better? I should definitely revisit that thing that traumatized me as a child!"

So today's "What was I thinking?!" entry belongs to the Tales from the Crypt episode "Beauty Rest".

The basic summary is this: Aging model Helen has come to a bad patch in her career. When her roommate gets the opportunity to participate in a mysterious beauty pageant, Helen decides to help herself to the opportunity. Unfortunately, drugging her roommate accidentally turns into murdering her roommate, and it's only the first of several ruthless things Helen is willing to do to win.

Considering we're talking about a decades old episode of TV, I'm not going to use spoiler tags. But I will warn you that I'm about to spill a bunch of NOT SPOILER TAGGED DETAILS ABOUT THE EPISODE.

Now, before I get into the horror-nostalgia, Mimi Rogers as Helen! I guess I didn't know who she was at the time.

Okay, I did not watch much of Tales from the Crypt when it aired when I was a kid. Bluntly, it made me really uncomfortable. The look of it was kind of gritty (that very 90s murky TV look), and the acting was over the top in a way that I just didn't like. At the same time, as a show with stand-alone episodes, it was the kind of show where main and likable characters could just be killed off, because obviously there was no need for characters to survive to the next episode.

I remember that it used to air late at night, maybe on Fridays or Saturdays? The kind of thing where I'd finish watching Red Dwarf or whatever and it would be 11:30 or midnight. I'd know I should go to bed, but sometimes . . .

I remember finishing this episode and being really upset by several things that I'd seen in it. It was maybe the most distinct time as a child that I remember thinking "I should NOT have watched that!". And it wasn't that I was scared, because it wasn't a *scary* episode. It left me really unsettled.

So here's the conclusion from tonight's ill-conceived walk down memory lane: all the stuff that really upset me as a child is still really upsetting.

Things that upset me, in order from least to most. (SPOILERS!!)

1) Helen Kills a Rival

At nine years old, I was only just starting to understand the idea of a protagonist/main character being a bad person. The movies and shows and books I'd encountered up to that point always featured a main character that you were meant to root for, even if they were flawed. Now, when Helen kills her roommate, it's an accidental overdose. But late in the film Helen just ruthlessly strangles a woman who is going to win the pageant. The murder concludes with the woman's lifeless face landing right in front of the camera in a disturbing close up. Now, I wasn't shocked or upset this time watching the sequence, recognizing the humor in what the episode is doing. But the close up of the dead rival's face is still a big jarring, and I can see why I was upset by it as a kid late at night.

2) Helen "Wins" the Pageant

So the big ironic twist of the episode is that by winning, Helen is killed and then her body is flayed open and put on display. The scene is shown as taking place in a seedy (but clearly wealthy) underground nightclub, with shadow-faced patrons laughing and applauding as Helen's exposed organs are put on display. Her torso is flayed open, but the rest of her body is intact and posed in a classic pin-up arrangement. I still find this really disturbing. The show gets all winky with remarks about "beauty is on the inside". I was a good reader as a kid, but I either did not recognize or could not read the word "autopsy", because I thought that the sign above her read "Miss Autopy" and pronounced it in my head as "Miss Auto-pye" and felt a lot of angst about what the meaning of that horrible word must be. I think that I was also really upset by the idea that a murder was being committed so blatantly in the open, and that everyone involved was clearly confident that they would get away with it. It's just all around a gruesome image, and the posing of the body tips it over the edge for me.

3) Helen Gets Her Make-Up Done

This was by far the sequence that haunted me the most and had the longest lasting impact on me. After Helen is informed by the head of the pageant that she has won, she is taken to a dark room with a dentist-style reclining chair in the middle and under a spotlight. Helen is directed to sit in the chair to have her makeup done. A large guy (not exactly your typical makeup artist) enters, and the first thing he does is grab Helen's feet and pull her down the chair. He then walks around the chair and straddles her. I can remember having a really visceral reaction to this moment as a kid and I felt pretty much the same way tonight. It's really creepy. He then starts applying her makeup really roughly. She asks the other man in the room to make him stop, but instead he and two other men run over to her and hold her down on the chair (the makeup artist, still straddling her, grabs her by the throat) while the head of the pageant injects her with something. I had to think about this sequence every time I went to the dentist (thank god it was a female dentist) for years afterward. It gave me tremendous anxiety about any time I was sitting or laying down while someone else was standing up near me.

So, in conclusion, "Beauty Rest" is and was too much for me, and I'll probably never know how it stacks up to other episodes because they all give me anxiety by proxy and I've never been able to check any of them out. The end.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:02 am

Tales of Terror was pretty good. I'll write a bit more about it in Thief's thread. I liked the third story the best and felt like the only real negative was that the middle story went on a bit too long and the repeated use of *wavey camera point of view* to convey weirdness happening and/or cover up scary makeup.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:18 am

The Hitcher (1986) is terrifying. The two movies that scared me the most are The Vanishing (1988) and Vengeance is Mine, mostly because they do not easily explain their villains' motivations. You could say the same about John Ryder. While Hauer's performance in Blade Runner is iconic, he may be even better in this movie. One of my favorite things about Hauer's acting is his poker face. Whenever he had to be unpredictable, he could be very, very unpredictable, a skill which serves him almost too well here. Even so, his performance would not have been as effective if his target, C. Thomas Howell's Jim Halsey, were not up to the task, and thankfully, he is. Like another memorable force of evil/audience surrogate relationship from 1986, i.e. Dennis Hopper and Kyle MacLachlan in Blue Velvet, it makes you ask how you would react to a force of pure evil, what you would do in a life or death situation and what it would take to make you pull the trigger. While the movie holds up well visually, technically and audibly - I love Mark Isham's atmospheric score - it hasn't in other ways, such as the homophobia found in some of Halsey and Ryder's interactions. With that said - and while recency bias might play in to this - it has what it takes to stand alongside those other two movies.
Last Great Movie Seen
Hedwig and the Angry Inch (Mitchell, 2001)
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:43 am

Torgo wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:18 am
The Hitcher (1986) is terrifying. The two movies that scared me the most are The Vanishing (1988) and Vengeance is Mine, mostly because they do not easily explain their villains' motivations. You could say the same about John Ryder. While Hauer's performance in Blade Runner is iconic, he may be even better in this movie. One of my favorite things about Hauer's acting is his poker face. Whenever he had to be unpredictable, he could be very, very unpredictable, a skill which serves him almost too well here. Even so, his performance would not have been as effective if his target, C. Thomas Howell's Jim Halsey, were not up to the task, and thankfully, he is. Like another memorable force of evil/audience surrogate relationship from 1986, i.e. Dennis Hopper and Kyle MacLachlan in Blue Velvet, it makes you ask how you would react to a force of pure evil, what you would do in a life or death situation and what it would take to make you pull the trigger. While the movie holds up well visually, technically and audibly - I love Mark Isham's atmospheric score - it hasn't in other ways, such as the homophobia found in some of Halsey and Ryder's interactions. With that said - and while recency bias might play in to this - it has what it takes to stand alongside those other two movies.
Interesting. I was a fan of this film in my youth but have not seen it since maybe '88 or so.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:00 am

The Hitcher is quite good. Rutger Hauer is awesome as his phenomenal performance makes just about every scene with him pretty terrifying and the truck scene is a really effective and traumatizing moment, but the more I think about it, the more I find stuff which feels unbelievable and implausible such as various moments which happen in the more action oriented sections of the film. Still pretty good though.
Stu

Post by Stu » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:43 am

Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:55 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:17 pm
Is Cannibal Holocaust the first found footage horror film? It's far from being as good as Blair Witch and most of the first half or so isn't shot via handheld cameras, but it's the earliest film I can think of which introduced the found footage concept at the very least.
I think even one of those Bigfoot movies from the 70s predates that. But when Blair Witch came out, and because it was such a media thing, there were a handful of films (of which Last Broadcast was prominent) which marketed on the "we did it first!" claim. I don't think I've ever heard much talk about Broadcast outside of its association with Blair Witch.
undinum

Post by undinum » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:04 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:00 am
The Hitcher is quite good. Rutger Hauer is awesome as his phenomenal performance makes just about every scene with him pretty terrifying and the truck scene is a really effective and traumatizing moment, but the more I think about it, the more I find stuff which feels unbelievable and implausible such as various moments which happen in the more action oriented sections of the film. Still pretty good though.
Moments like the handgun downing the helicopter are intended to be absurd. They're part of the nightmare fabric of the film.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:21 pm

undinum wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:04 pm
Moments like the handgun downing the helicopter are intended to be absurd. They're part of the nightmare fabric of the film.
ok, that's fair
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:10 am

Torgo wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:18 am
The Hitcher (1986) is terrifying. The two movies that scared me the most are The Vanishing (1988) and Vengeance is Mine, mostly because they do not easily explain their villains' motivations. You could say the same about John Ryder. . . . With that said - and while recency bias might play in to this - it has what it takes to stand alongside those other two movies.
I know that it struck me as good-but-not-great when I watched it. Granted, that was over 20 years ago.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:19 am

Everything involving the police in the Hitcher is terrible. Everything else is very enjoyable.
daakmore

Post by daakmore » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:44 am

Watched the 2019 Hellboy over the weekend and it was just as bad as I feared it would be. Feels like it was made by a teenager trying to be edgy and "mature" with lots of gore and swearing. Harbor is OK as Hellboy but the rest of the cast is either way off tone for the character (Ian McShane) or just kind of there without any real screen presence or emotion (Milla Jovavich). There are occasional moments that ring true to the comics they are adapting from but that same source material requires so many flashbacks and exposition to explain stuff the comics handled prior and with a breakneck pace going from one scene to another it's hard to really care about any of it. The tone is all over the place, attempted humor at one point but relentlessly dour moments later, and while the comic itself does that to the humor and horror either feel like pale reflections of the comics or even worse weird juvenile versions of it. Finally the film just looks cheap, the CG is frequently dodgy and the action scenes are just not good, with a reliance on blood and guts to cover up poor actual fights.

When they announced the new Hellboy would be R-rated they said all the right things, Neil Marshal noted "It's not like I'm going to force it to be R-rated, but if it happens to come out that way, just because of my own sensibilities, then fine" and the talk was bit being closer in tone to the comics but yeah no, they missed by a long shot on that and it reaches so hard to be edgy hard R that it forgets to be Hellboy, a comic that can be brutal but is never that just for the sake of it.
Jefferyjaivy

магазин автотоваров

Post by Jefferyjaivy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:45 pm

Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:54 pm

daakmore wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:44 am
When they announced the new Hellboy would be R-rated they said all the right things,
Yeah, I allowed myself to get pretty excited about it pre-release but now I have to remind myself it even exists. I'm sure I'll give in one of these days anyway.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:55 pm

I gave up about halfway through Tokyo Gore Police. Part of the issue was I was in mixed company, but honestly I don't think it would've really mattered when watching a headless not-corpse with a flayed vagina urinate over an eager crowd. (Per SNL, I hate it when that happens.) It's not a deep offense taken so much as an exhausted weariness of films that are empty provocations. Reminds me of how Joel Siegel walked out of Clerks 2 during the donkey show. Smart man.
NOTE:
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:29 pm

DaMU wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:55 pm
I gave up about halfway through Tokyo Gore Police. Part of the issue was I was in mixed company, but honestly I don't think it would've really mattered when watching a headless not-corpse with a flayed vagina urinate over an eager crowd. (Per SNL, I hate it when that happens.) It's not a deep offense taken so much as an exhausted weariness of films that are empty provocations. Reminds me of how Joel Siegel walked out of Clerks 2 during the donkey show. Smart man.
Yeah, that sounds just like nothing I have any need to watch.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:02 pm

Yeah, films like TGP don't do much for me as I often feel like I don't get much of anything out of them. I don't find them offensive so much as silly.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:53 pm

The Woods - 8/10

Don't know why I slept on this one for so long, maybe because of the generic title, maybe because I could never remember that it's Lucky McKee's (May, The Woman). It's a terrific mix of Heathers, Burton-esque goth-camp, and an extended riff on one of the more notorious Evil Dead moments.
undinum

Post by undinum » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:55 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:53 pm
The Woods - 8/10

Don't know why I slept on this one for so long, maybe because of the generic title, maybe because I could never remember that it's Lucky McKee's (May, The Woman). It's a terrific mix of Heathers, Burton-esque goth-camp, and an extended riff on one of the more notorious Evil Dead moments.

:up:

And a phenomenal performance by Agnes Bruckner. So many strange and wonderful choices. That phone call home when Patricia Clarkson calls her bluff. I'd stack up her work in that, Blue Car, and Dreamland against any other young actress of the time but almost immediately after Woods she started a run of real bad roles in even worse movies (Blood & Chocolate, Vacancy 2, Craigslist Killer...) that hasn't really stopped since.
Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:46 am

DaMU wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:55 pm
This sounds like that video somebody once posted on RT where an art student peed on a can of soup and somebody else yelled out "Yeah, art!" at the end. But with no head.
____
Blog!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:32 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:53 pm
The Woods - 8/10

Dammit, I meant to watch this in October and, like you, I just didn't see anything about it that made me pull the trigger over other movies and I ended up skipping it for like the 6th or 7th straight year.
I gotta make a commitment next year to just fucking watch it.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:06 am

The Amusement Park, the unexpected "lost" George Romero film, has been making the rounds over the past year, I really really wanna see it, and in that spirit, I just learned that

There's Always Vanilla
Season of the Witch

both unseen by me, are both available to watch on Tubi (with ads), and after those two I'll have seen all of Romero's work, so I think I know what my weekend's going to look like now.
NOTE:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:20 am

Season of the Witch is also on amazon prime. No ads if you’re a member.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:56 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:20 am
Season of the Witch is also on amazon prime. No ads if you’re a member.
For all you Bezos-enablers, take note!
NOTE:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:51 pm

DaMU wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:56 am
For all you Bezos-enablers, take note!
There are people who don’t enable Bezos? Next you’ll tell me there are people who don’t worship at the House of Mouse.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:34 pm

The Morbius trailer seems to have been met with a resounding yawn. Anybody excited about this? I admit I got a tingle when I saw the vampire face towards the end, but I'll need to see more before I get myself hyped.