Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Discuss anything you want.
Rock

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Rock » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:03 am

daakmore wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:46 am
Cage's crazy didn't feel organic to the madness of the film and was very much at odds with how everyone else was playing things.
+1
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:30 pm

daakmore wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:46 am
I am with you pretty much 100%, Cage's crazy didn't feel organic to the madness of the film and was very much at odds with how everyone else was playing things. I agree the body horror over sickness aspect was also a bit of a letdown.
I feel like even those of us who look forward to Cage's freak-outs would have to admit that the shift in tone is poorly handled.

One of my favorite lines from the Lovecraft story, just because it's so over-the-top, is when he mentions "blasphemously misshapen skunk-cabbage" or something to that effect. Like, how ugly does cabbage have to be to qualify as blasphemy? That always makes me chuckle, but the point is that the ground is diseased, the water is diseased, any person or animal living on the property is deteriorating, etc. Instead of that, Stanley gives us weird flowers that the family didn't plant, but are actually kind of pretty. So again, he went for "alien" rather than "sick". The closest we come to that are the oversized tomatoes that taste bad, I guess.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:06 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:35 am
Look at you, just breaking my heart like that. How dare you.

I'm still hoping to see it in the next few weeks.

It sounds like you liked it a bit more than I did. It is certainly different, and operates in an appealingly atmospheric/slightly surreal world. I remember being let down by the ending, but cannot remember specifically why. I did find the nakedly queer vibe appealing.

Also, the thing I maybe most remember about it was skimming the IMDb comment boards (I know, but occasionally there were some insightful posts there) and someone had a whole thread that was just like "THIS MOVIE HAD A PENIS IN IT! NOT ALLOWED! MEN SHOULD NOT BE NAKED IN MOVIES!".

I gave it a 6/10, but it's been several years since I watched it.
I like it slightly more than you do, including the ending. The
blood spray combined with the pyrotechnics was an amazing moment of catharsis.

I'd probably give it a 7/10. It's a good movie about unleashing your inner demon, but I've seen better and/or more memorable ones.
Also, those IMDB reactions are funny and sad, especially when it's a movie with much more scandalous moments like
when the dog and the police chief get decapitated.
Last Great Movie Seen
Time Bandits (Gilliam, 1981)
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:56 pm

Torgo wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:06 pm
I'd probably give it a 7/10. It's a good movie about unleashing your inner demon, but I've seen better and/or more memorable ones.
Well, I read it as the result more of repressing aspects of yourself, with some strong implications that it was his own sexuality, and how destructive that can get. His habit of feeding the wolf (pacifying it just enough to keep it from literally rearing its head) played into that as well. Again, though, I'd need a rewatch to get much more specific.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:33 pm

Watched Rawhead, withholding thoughts until we hear if the Cap'n gave it a go.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:56 am

DaMU wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:33 pm
Watched Rawhead, withholding thoughts until we hear if the Cap'n gave it a go.
Tonight's the night. Let 'er rip!
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:06 am

RAWHEAD REX

Screenplay is by Mr Barker himself so the story is mostly intact, and this is probably a better film than it has any right to be, but ultimately it can't overcome that big dopey-looking SOB of a monster. This is not the god-like giant described in the short story. Just because a character says he's 9 feet tall does not make it so. In a way, I think it might've been beneficial to just embrace the cruddy monster and go for a more humorous tone, but instead we're left with a movie that's sort of taking itself seriously occasionally interrupted by Mr Squatch up there.
Still, it was mostly fun and I enjoyed seeing certain scenes from the story that I didn't expect to make it to the film. (Both of which involved urine, but that's just a coincidence). I do not regret spending the $4 for the rental.

What did you think, DaMU?
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:42 am

You're about where I'm at with the film, especially regarding the idea of embracing the more absurd tone that the creature design suggests. I mean, that is one goofy fucking monster. The movie doesn't work as a scare-fest or even shock-fest, but it also, for me, modulates its melodrama just a little too often for the flick to function as camp entertainment. So I ended up liking it less than you. I liked ideas, images, a few moments of goofball energy. But the dialogue is banal while only occasionally stupid. The acting from characters outside the verger are mostly boilerplate. I don't think the film makes quite enough bad choices to start being good again.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:25 pm

I fully embraced the goofball beast, and I honestly don't remember much else about it. Melodrama? Ooook. I'm sure somebody cried. But what a thriving goofball beast though!
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:59 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:25 pm
I fully embraced the goofball beast, and I honestly don't remember much else about it. Melodrama? Ooook. I'm sure somebody cried. But what a thriving goofball beast though!
Funnily enough, I removed a line from my comments: that I think it's a movie better remembered than seen. Packaged as one of those YouTube "Highlights from Rawhead Rex" five-minute clip packages. I liked telling people about its most absurd moments, but I didn't really like slogging through the film to find them.
NOTE:
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:03 pm

DaMU wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:42 am
You're about where I'm at with the film, especially regarding the idea of embracing the more absurd tone that the creature design suggests. I mean, that is one goofy fucking monster. The movie doesn't work as a scare-fest or even shock-fest, but it also, for me, modulates its melodrama just a little too often for the flick to function as camp entertainment. So I ended up liking it less than you. I liked ideas, images, a few moments of goofball energy. But the dialogue is banal while only occasionally stupid. The acting from characters outside the verger are mostly boilerplate. I don't think the film makes quite enough bad choices to start being good again.
I wouldn't say I "liked" it, there was just a certain charm in the fact that they went all-in with this ridiculous costume they had.

But yeah, I was also going to mention the dull cast. I've already forgotten what the wife looked like. If I had to pick her out of a lineup today I wouldn't be able to. Like you said, Declan was the only character that made any impression.

I'm certainly not one to turn my nose up at a cheesy monster, it's just hard to enjoy when we have to sit through so many scenes that are meant to be taken seriously.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:45 am

The Cloverfield Paradox - D

Well, that was stupid.
NOTE:
Rock

Post by Rock » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:49 am

Alligator - Guys, this was pretty darn good.

Uncle Sam - Guys, this was pretty darn bad.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Rock

Post by Rock » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:50 am

DaMU wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:45 am
The Cloverfield Paradox - D

Well, that was stupid.
I found it inoffensively bad for the most part, but the last shot was hilarious.
____
Blog!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:18 pm

Rock wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:49 am
Alligator - Guys, this was pretty darn good.
I am inspired by your comment, to watch this. I haven't seen it since I was about 10.
And possibly to watch Black Water, Dark Age, Crawl, and Rogue (none of which I've seen).
Shit, I may even go back and watch Lake Placid (I enjoyed it back in the day).
Rock

Post by Rock » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:56 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:18 pm
I am inspired by your comment, to watch this. I haven't seen it since I was about 10.
And possibly to watch Black Water, Dark Age, Crawl, and Rogue (none of which I've seen).
The monster scenes aren't the greatest (you can probably blame the budget; in the first half they try to limit how much you see of the alligator Jaws-style I suppose, but it's in a darkened sewer so you can't see fuck-all anyway), but everything around it is really well realized. There's even a running joke about Forster losing his hair that I'm pretty sure QT referenced in Jackie Brown.
____
Blog!
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:14 pm

Rock wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:50 am
I found it inoffensively bad for the most part, but the last shot was hilarious.
"Hey, kids, don't forget about your ol' pal Clovey!"
NOTE:
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:47 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:18 pm
I cannot comment on any of the others (though I'm excited to watch Crawl at some point), but you MUST see Black Water. It's got both terrifying and suspenseful attack sequences and memorable characters and moving character dynamics.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:27 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:47 pm
I cannot comment on any of the others (though I'm excited to watch Crawl at some point), but you MUST see Black Water. It's got both terrifying and suspenseful attack sequences and memorable characters and moving character dynamics.
I may watch it today, I'm having hung-over-on-the-sofa day after a weird date-night. A good alligator/crocodile-attack-movie might be just the thing.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:57 pm

Be advised that Captain Terror (Os Perkins fan and a champion of Slow-Burns in general) was fighting sleep throughout Gretel and Hansel. (Pretty sure sleep briefly won, but I can't verify that. Felt like I dozed a bit at one point).
I feel like anyone interested in the film should factor that into their decision. :) On the plus side, it's a gorgeous film and I mostly liked it all but I probably should've just rented it instead, allowing me to pause it occasionally and have a nap.

If I were ranking Perkins films I'd probably put this at #3, though.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:51 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:47 pm
Damn, unfortunately Black Water is not streaming on anything I have access to.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:12 am

Wooley wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:51 pm
Damn, unfortunately Black Water is not streaming on anything I have access to.
Bummer. Keep an eye out for it. I think it's really solid.
Charles

Post by Charles » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:57 am

There are... sublegal ways to find it, if you're into that.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:32 am

Nos4a2 is on Hulu.

Yay? Nay? Meh?
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:11 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:32 am
Nos4a2 is on Hulu.

Yay? Nay? Meh?
Meh sounds about right.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:49 pm

Deschain13 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:11 am
Meh sounds about right.
Aw, too bad.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:18 pm

Having seen Tenebre and Suspiria, I believe that Phenomena would be a good introductory movie for anyone unfamiliar with Dario Argento. It has a traditional (for him, anyway) murder mystery plot, and from Goblin's wonderful score to the brutal yet oddly beautiful violence, it has many of his best trademarks. Setting the movie in a land that is gorgeous yet rife with secrets like Switzerland was an inspired choice, and if Labyrinth and Once Upon a Time in America didn't sell you on the young Connelly's talent, this movie surely will. She ably holds the movie together and totally makes her implausible talent seem legitimate. It all amounts to a strong story about the value of giving strange and unusual people a chance and serves as a reminder that as unpleasant and off-putting as insects can be, they are tame in comparison to humans at their worst. Despite all this, and even though a precocious chimpanzee has a pivotal role, it didn't wow me as much as the other Argento movies I've seen. Like I said, it works best as a movie to let Argento novices know what they're in for if they wish to delve deeper into his filmography.
Last Great Movie Seen
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:52 pm

Interesting. I think the most intriguing part of Phenomena is how Argento tries to blend the two chapters of his career, the giallo and supernatural. If I were dealing with a rookie, I’d start with Bird with Crystal Plumage or Deep Red. Build to Tenebre, Suspiria and Inferno. Cap it off with Phenomena.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:53 pm

Interesting. I think the most intriguing part of Phenomena is how Argento tries to blend the two chapters of his career, the giallo and supernatural. If I were dealing with a rookie, I’d start with Bird with Crystal Plumage or Deep Red. Build to Tenebre, Suspiria and Inferno. Cap it off with Phenomena.

Then fill in the gaps.
Rock

Post by Rock » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:02 pm

Phenomena is great, especially the chimpanzee. Between this and Monkey Shines, more horror movies should have primate assistants.
____
Blog!
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:23 pm

Rock wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:02 pm
Phenomena is great, especially the chimpanzee. Between this and Monkey Shines, more horror movies should have primate assistants.
...as long as they don't talk, i.e. Congo, if that counts as a horror movie.

In all seriousness, as good as Connelly is, Inga may give the best performance in the movie. She's totally convincing as a chimpanzee assistant. Plus,
that switchblade attack makes for a hella satisfying finale.
Last Great Movie Seen
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:49 am

I have no idea if Stuart Gordon's The Pit and the Pendulum sustains, but the five minute opening is a fucking hoot.
NOTE:
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:19 am

Um, is this movie great? It sure feels great during the first half (Tubi ads are allowing the play by play). Not great cinema, but great fun, and made with the classic Gordon/Paoli ability to tell a story with directness and clarity-- and to make sure that story jukes from broad humor to slyness to bawdy sex to genuine dementedness. The Inquisition scenes evoke Monty Python; inquisitors spend their downtime playing cards, Frances Bay's witch sounds like she was airlifted in from the East Coast, while Lance Henriksen's clearly calling Maria a witch out of desperate horniness (Mark Margolis "releases" him from that pent-up frustration with a not-that-subtly symbolic flagellation).
NOTE:
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:37 am

Lance Henriksen and Oliver Reed just had a ham-off, and the winner was me for witnessing it.
I had no idea this flick was gonna chuck in some Cask of Amontillado. The flick builds up the incoming visit from the pope's emissary, so it's built into the fabric of the story before you realize it's going to add another Poe tale. It's like the old Corman Poe movies (like how Masque added in Hop-Toad), but done more cleverly instead of being its own distinct B-plot.
NOTE:
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:27 am

One thing I'm not quite as crazy on is...
the story bringing in actual supernaturalism. I'd rather the flick commit fully to exposing the supernatural theories of the inquisitors as bullshit based on bad faith and bad logic. The flick's at its best when you get an errant idiotic comment based on phrenology, or when a sexually frustrated priest "fingers" a subordinate. In other words, when modern understanding pokes superstition in the eye.
NOTE:
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:33 am

Fumbles some at the end with an ending that's too busy and at times awkwardly edited, but otherwise this was a fun surprise in the same way that Castle Freak was for me last year. My limited understanding was that they were "lesser" Gordon, and that's true, but they still work (in general) and show off the personality you find in Gordon/Paoli's best.
NOTE:
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:00 am

New Invisible Man movie fucking slaps.

Moss is great. The premise is great. Dread all around, at times unbearable given the abusive context (this is an Invisible Man movie where I desperately didn't want the Invisible Man to show up). Camera sometimes manages a John Carpenter / Kiyoshi Kurosawa vibe with how it laterally investigates the spaces.
NOTE:
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:15 pm

DaMU wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:00 am

Moss is great. The premise is great. Dread all around, at times unbearable given the abusive context (this is an Invisible Man movie where I desperately didn't want the Invisible Man to show up). Camera sometimes manages a John Carpenter / Kiyoshi Kurosawa vibe with how it laterally investigates the spaces.
Really, it's good?
Didn't see that coming.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:17 pm

Wooley wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:15 pm
Really, it's good?
Didn't see that coming.
Well, he is invisible.
Sorry, couldn't resist.
Last Great Movie Seen
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:45 pm

DaMU wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:00 am

I was shocked to read a positive review of it, basically saying that the film embraces the victim's point of view. Specifically it mentioned the fact that the camera often literally takes her point of view (as she scans for signs of the invisible someone) instead of mostly using shots from the invisible man's point of view.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:34 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:45 pm
I was shocked to read a positive review of it, basically saying that the film embraces the victim's point of view. Specifically it mentioned the fact that the camera often literally takes her point of view (as she scans for signs of the invisible someone) instead of mostly using shots from the invisible man's point of view.
Exactly. The flick is all about framing, both narrative framing (making it Moss's story/perspective) and camera framing (there are a lot of times where the film lingers in empty spaces, inviting us to ask if the villain is there). So many women exist in those Uni movies as sidecar characters, and it is what it is, sign of the times, etc. but it's so cool how the film sticks us in Moss's perspective and almost never leaves it.
NOTE:
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:09 am

DaMU wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:34 am
Exactly. The flick is all about framing, both narrative framing (making it Moss's story/perspective) and camera framing (there are a lot of times where the film lingers in empty spaces, inviting us to ask if the villain is there). So many women exist in those Uni movies as sidecar characters, and it is what it is, sign of the times, etc. but it's so cool how the film sticks us in Moss's perspective and almost never leaves it.
It certainly intrigued me. I mean, the review I read (from the AVClub) basically positioned it as a domestic abuse horror that centers the victim as the main character instead of the "monster".

And it was almost doubly interesting to me because I feel like stories involving invisible characters often center on either "mild" sexual harassment/voyeurism (if it's a comedy) to abuse/rape (if it's a horror film) and sometimes with the unfortunate undertone that . . . it's kind of cool, or at least the more mild stuff would be okay if the person didn't go crazy with their power. Like, sure, you can watch some woman getting undressed, but don't take it too far, pal!

I also just feel like it's such a great framing to put a victim of violence (male or female) as the protagonist, because if you've been hurt by someone and they're still out there, then some part of you is always scanning for signs of them, and maybe even convinced that they might be watching you in some way. I have a student whose family is currently in hiding from his father, and I just keep thinking, man, wouldn't you constantly be "seeing" him? Like in every man who walks past your house on the street, or in the sound of every car engine? In a place like a grocery store wouldn't you constantly be hearing his voice, or thinking you caught a glimpse of him?

Plus I then realized that it was the same writer/director who did Upgrade, so I would trust him with both violence and emotional nuance. This is shockingly at the top of my "want to see in the theater" list right now.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:21 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:09 am
It certainly intrigued me. I mean, the review I read (from the AVClub) basically positioned it as a domestic abuse horror that centers the victim as the main character instead of the "monster".

And it was almost doubly interesting to me because I feel like stories involving invisible characters often center on either "mild" sexual harassment/voyeurism (if it's a comedy) to abuse/rape (if it's a horror film) and sometimes with the unfortunate undertone that . . . it's kind of cool, or at least the more mild stuff would be okay if the person didn't go crazy with their power. Like, sure, you can watch some woman getting undressed, but don't take it too far, pal!

I also just feel like it's such a great framing to put a victim of violence (male or female) as the protagonist, because if you've been hurt by someone and they're still out there, then some part of you is always scanning for signs of them, and maybe even convinced that they might be watching you in some way. I have a student whose family is currently in hiding from his father, and I just keep thinking, man, wouldn't you constantly be "seeing" him? Like in every man who walks past your house on the street, or in the sound of every car engine? In a place like a grocery store wouldn't you constantly be hearing his voice, or thinking you caught a glimpse of him?

Plus I then realized that it was the same writer/director who did Upgrade, so I would trust him with both violence and emotional nuance. This is shockingly at the top of my "want to see in the theater" list right now.
That was what excited me from the trailers. In retrospect, it's such a blindingly obvious choice when you're dealing with the concept of an invisible man, and those films have a history of the title character becoming assaultive to women and psychopathic. Whannell took the premise and twisted it 180 degrees so we follow the woman instead of the man, and the story flowers as a result.

Fans of Whannell's gothic side will also be happy to see things like a cliffside mansion with churning waves, a late-breaking storm, the threat of an asylum stay. He's still very much the man who wrote Dead Silence.
NOTE:
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:36 pm

I somehow had not fully realized that Jordan Peele was remaking Candyman.

Did you guys already talk about this? Have you seen the trailer? I'm intrigued by the direction they are going with it (especially having just watched JD's Revenge).
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:00 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:36 pm

Did you guys already talk about this? Have you seen the trailer? I'm intrigued by the direction they are going with it (especially having just watched JD's Revenge).
I think he’s producing not directing.

Glad to hear the new Invisible Man is good. The trailer intrigued me, I like the angle they’re going for and I’m a fan of Moss. Definitely an October watch.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:29 pm

Deschain13 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:00 pm
I think he’s producing not directing.
I think that he also wrote the script.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:13 am

I don't know exactly what I was expecting, but Seconds was a lot darker and more intense than I thought it would be.

A 50s-ish banker named Arthur is living a joyless life. His marriage is passionless and his daughter is long grown up and moved away. One night he gets a phone call from an old college friend promising him a chance to be "reborn". Arthur goes along to the meeting place designated by his friend, and is taken to a mysterious organization called "the Company".

With the help of a little blackmail ("It's a lot easier to go forwards when you know you can't go back, isn't it?" asks the kindly looking owner of the company), Arthur signs away his life and undergoes a painful surgical procedure which leaves him with the body and face of a much younger man (played by Rock Hudson). His death is faked on his behalf and he leaves his old life behind.

Renamed Tony Wilson, he is taken to a new community in California where a Company handler helps him adapt to his new life as a successful painter. He finds a love interest and throws himself into an orgy-filled, drunken lifestyle with his bright new friends, but something is wrong. Something is still missing.

There were a lot of scenes that I found really powerful in this film, but maybe none so much as when Arthur, in his new body, goes to visit his "widow". Asking her about "Arthur", she remarks, "I never knew what he wanted, and I don't think he ever knew. He fought so hard for what he'd been taught to want, and when he got it he just grew more and more confused." It's maybe the gentlest way to describe something deeper than a midlife crisis. Even when Arthur gets the things that all middle aged men are supposed to want (young body, beauty, women, popularity), he is unhappy because he is not being emotionally fulfilled. There's something really powerful to me about the idea that we raise people to believe that certain things will make them happy, only for them to end up alienated and unmoored.

There are some really cool stylistic moments in here as well, especially a sequence in which a drugged Arthur fantasizes about a terrified woman in a room with strangely tilted and warped walls and floors.

In any event, this one really flew under my radar and I would whole-heartedly recommend it. It's free on Amazon if you have Prime.

Be warned that it is really dark and depressing, and also some of the medical sequences are kind of upsetting in both what you see and some of the concepts (like that they removed all of his teeth and cut his vocal chords).
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:04 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:36 pm

He's writing and producing (edit, I see y'all already covered that). I had read some negative press on it, but that could be clickbait. I'm hopeful. Yet at the same time, it really feels like a movie that didn't need a remake.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:33 am

Like Upgrade, The Invisible Man seems tailored to my tastes. Not all the minute details function and there’s some clunk, but the meat of the film functions excellently.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:56 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:33 am
Like Upgrade, The Invisible Man seems tailored to my tastes. Not all the minute details function and there’s some clunk, but the meat of the film functions excellently.
:up:
NOTE: