Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Discuss anything you want.
Oxnard Montalvo

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:12 pm

this video had been on my watchlist for a while, finally got to watching it and thought I'd share. apologies if this had already been posted, I would look through the thread if it wasn't 90+ pages

ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:26 pm

What’d everyone think about Horror Noire? I think it would be a decent introduction to Black Cinema but it felt like it was too shallow of an exploration given that it only had 88 mins to cover about 100 years of shifting trends in depiction of blacks in the horror genre. The quality was also often dependent on whatever talking head was breaking down the film or whatever insight.

I wish it had been a mini-series. I think a long form Ken Burns approach would have served the material far better.

But hey, if it gets more people watching these movies, then it’s done it’s job.

I was happy to see an academic clarify that “the Black dude dies first” isn’t entirely accurate and Keith David put it succinctly with “If we’ve made it through the first 15 mins, we’re probably not gonna make it through the last 30.”
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:25 am

Invisible Man was everything I wanted it to be and more.

Excellent central performance from Moss. Several surprises, both positive and negative.

Also, we loved the scene at the restaurant:

-Have you dined with us before? Do you know how it works?
-Is it the thing where you order the food and then you eat it?

I don't know who cast the waiter, but he was *perfect*.

And I really liked a lot of the directorial/visual elements, such as the way that the film was bookended and the use of empty space. From a writing standpoint, I loved that literally from the very first shot, we are already in a horror film. No sweet little beginning and then things get brutal. It's brutal from the get-go and just morphs as it goes along.

And special props to
Zeus the dog, who was just a good boy the whole movie and survived.
Charles

Post by Charles » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:46 am

So I guess it was a pretty good thing in the end that the DUCU fucking died right then and there, huh?
Rock

Post by Rock » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:46 am

The man might have been invisible, but the strength of Moss' performance and the filmmaking certainly wasn't.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:08 am

Rock wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:46 am
The man might have been invisible, but the strength of Moss' performance and the filmmaking certainly wasn't.
Zing!

Although, one of the things that we all loved was that you
didn't see or hear (aside from one or two lines) him basically at all until the last 15 or so minutes.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:23 am

Rock wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:46 am
You bastard, how could you.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:28 am

Also, people at my screening half-applauded the waiter in that scene. Utterly relatable.
My favorite beat is the hovering knife that snaps into the friend's throat. It was so severe and cruel and sad, but also it started paying off details that didn't need payoff as far as we knew (Moss needed to be of sound mind / no criminal acts, the faked email, etc.). Suddenly, the depth of the planning, the completeness of the intentional terrorizing. The movie kicks up in intensity and emotion and barrels through to the end. I'm still a little in awe of that plot turn.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Rock

Post by Rock » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:41 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:08 am
Zing!

didn't see or hear (aside from one or two lines) him basically at all until the last 15 or so minutes.
Good thing he wasn't called the Unhearable Man.

:D
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:54 am

DaMU wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:28 am
Also, people at my screening half-applauded the waiter in that scene. Utterly relatable.
My favorite beat is the hovering knife that snaps into the friend's throat. It was so severe and cruel and sad, but also it started paying off details that didn't need payoff as far as we knew (Moss needed to be of sound mind / no criminal acts, the faked email, etc.). Suddenly, the depth of the planning, the completeness of the intentional terrorizing. The movie kicks up in intensity and emotion and barrels through to the end. I'm still a little in awe of that plot turn.
That moment got a HUGE gasp from the entire theater.

For me that moment serves two purposes:
First, like you mention, it sets into motion the whole depth of Adrian's plot. Right as you think the two women are going to rally together, the "strong" sister takes a knife to the throat. But the second real payoff is learning that he didn't kill the sister, tank her job interview, fake the e-mail, drug her, commit a rape-adjacent act, etc just to mess with her/punish her.

To me, one of the biggest twists was realizing that he did all that to make her need him again. He did it to get her back. The scene where you think that the brother is just there to gloat at how low she's fallen, but instead reveals that Adrian will make it all go away if she'll go back to him is shocking. Among other things, he could have drugged and kidnapped her at any time. But he wants her to have to *choose* to go back to him.

It's so much more twisted than just "crazy ex out to destroy your life". In fact, I really appreciated that she actually articulates that this is par for the course when it comes to his abusive and controlling behavior. He makes her think she's crazy. He uses violence and "other things" to keep her in line. He monitors her every move (the cameras, the keypads, the security system). She's reliving the same nightmare, and horribly he still just has the same goal: he wants to be with her and he wants her to have his child.

An unlike many other films of this kind, his super-power doesn't make him insane. He's a sociopath from the start and his power just allows him more latitude to abuse his victim.

There are many ways that real abusers keep their victims in line. Is violence a big one? Absolutely. But alienating them from loved ones; financial dependence; shared children--these are also on the list. I really, really appreciated the film showing that domestic/spousal abuse can look like so much more than a woman with a black eye.
Yeah, the more I think back on it the more I like it. I know that there was some criticism of the secondary characters being thinly sketched, but it honestly didn't bother me that much because they were in service of such a compelling central story and main character. And I also felt like the film totally stuck the landing--the last 10-15 minutes or so were so tense and glorious.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:59 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:54 am
That moment got a HUGE gasp from the entire theater.

For me that moment serves two purposes:
First, like you mention, it sets into motion the whole depth of Adrian's plot. Right as you think the two women are going to rally together, the "strong" sister takes a knife to the throat. But the second real payoff is learning that he didn't kill the sister, tank her job interview, fake the e-mail, drug her, commit a rape-adjacent act, etc just to mess with her/punish her.

To me, one of the biggest twists was realizing that he did all that to make her need him again. He did it to get her back. The scene where you think that the brother is just there to gloat at how low she's fallen, but instead reveals that Adrian will make it all go away if she'll go back to him is shocking. Among other things, he could have drugged and kidnapped her at any time. But he wants her to have to *choose* to go back to him.

It's so much more twisted than just "crazy ex out to destroy your life". In fact, I really appreciated that she actually articulates that this is par for the course when it comes to his abusive and controlling behavior. He makes her think she's crazy. He uses violence and "other things" to keep her in line. He monitors her every move (the cameras, the keypads, the security system). She's reliving the same nightmare, and horribly he still just has the same goal: he wants to be with her and he wants her to have his child.

An unlike many other films of this kind, his super-power doesn't make him insane. He's a sociopath from the start and his power just allows him more latitude to abuse his victim.

There are many ways that real abusers keep their victims in line. Is violence a big one? Absolutely. But alienating them from loved ones; financial dependence; shared children--these are also on the list. I really, really appreciated the film showing that domestic/spousal abuse can look like so much more than a woman with a black eye.
Yeah, the more I think back on it the more I like it. I know that there was some criticism of the secondary characters being thinly sketched, but it honestly didn't bother me that much because they were in service of such a compelling central story and main character. And I also felt like the film totally stuck the landing--the last 10-15 minutes or so were so tense and glorious.
Yes yes yes. One of the things that's been bewildering to me is that I saw a review on this YouTube channel called "Double Toasted," and they (and a plurality of the commenters) couldn't accept the premise that
a man with invisibility as a power would "settle" for terrorizing Moss's character into coming back to him. Basically, "you could do anything" with your riches and powers, and you're stalking someone. But like you say, the film is actually super-careful to explain to you exactly how fucked up the villain's psychology is, the systems he's put in place to control her, the depth of his sociopathic focus. He punches a goddamn car window to get her back in the prologue. Of course he would do this if he had the suit and if she had the wherewithal to escape. Abusive relationships aren't about sex or desire, they're about power and control. Which is why, like you say, his gambit isn't just about freaking her out for "revenge" or trying to get her back for sex, it's about regaining her dependence, re-training her to come back to him, re-asserting his control over the defiant woman that dared to say he couldn't control her. Her continued escape is an affront to his worldview.
Regarding the very ending choices,
I agree that the climax was fantastic. My experience with Whannell is mostly his writing work on lesser horror films than this, so I was fully expecting a spook-a-blast rambunctious finale, but it's a perfect final confrontation. The one thing I was uneasy about was her murdering him as coldly as she did, but the more I reflect on it, I can't imagine a different way the story could've ended. And it's not like the movie does empty cheerleading for her. Moss's character and the movie both recognize that she's made a difficult and crucial moral decision. The final shot suggests the impact of his trauma will continue, which is exactly right given the abusive context.
It's insane that we're only in February, and we already got a movie as good as this one (let alone a horror movie).
NOTE:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:21 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:08 am
Zing!

I’m just glad...
Someone took a classic movie monster, focused on his love interest, and kept him a monster until a climactic conversation.
So dope.
Rock

Post by Rock » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:50 pm

Rock wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:41 am
Good thing he wasn't called the Unhearable Man.

:D
Damn, could have gone with the Inaudible Man here. I will leave my earlier post unedited for posterity.
____
Blog!
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:01 pm

DaMU wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:59 am
Yes yes yes. One of the things that's been bewildering to me is that I saw a review on this YouTube channel called "Double Toasted," and they (and a plurality of the commenters) couldn't accept the premise that
a man with invisibility as a power would "settle" for terrorizing Moss's character into coming back to him. Basically, "you could do anything" with your riches and powers, and you're stalking someone. But like you say, the film is actually super-careful to explain to you exactly how fucked up the villain's psychology is, the systems he's put in place to control her, the depth of his sociopathic focus. He punches a goddamn car window to get her back in the prologue. Of course he would do this if he had the suit and if she had the wherewithal to escape. Abusive relationships aren't about sex or desire, they're about power and control. Which is why, like you say, his gambit isn't just about freaking her out for "revenge" or trying to get her back for sex, it's about regaining her dependence, re-training her to come back to him, re-asserting his control over the defiant woman that dared to say he couldn't control her. Her continued escape is an affront to his worldview.
Huh, that's weird. I mean, the movie is super, SUPER explicit on this point. First when
Moss spreads all the coffee around and she says something like "Why do you want me? You could have any woman you want?" and then later the brother, again explicity, says "He wants you because you're the only person who isn't dependent on him." Like you say, he is on a mission to regain control and his focus has narrowed to that and only that.

Also, I think it's important to note that he already has money. He's clearly super rich. He could afford to do pretty much anything he wants. The only immediate need that he feels is having control over her.
Regarding the very ending choices,
I agree that the climax was fantastic. My experience with Whannell is mostly his writing work on lesser horror films than this, so I was fully expecting a spook-a-blast rambunctious finale, but it's a perfect final confrontation. The one thing I was uneasy about was her murdering him as coldly as she did, but the more I reflect on it, I can't imagine a different way the story could've ended. And it's not like the movie does empty cheerleading for her. Moss's character and the movie both recognize that she's made a difficult and crucial moral decision. The final shot suggests the impact of his trauma will continue, which is exactly right given the abusive context.
Yes, and I appreciated that
the character of James was there to offer that moral context. James is clearly protective of his daughter, so he can appreciate the danger here.

One of my favorite shots of the whole film was when she leaves for the bathroom and he's alone at the table and suddenly it pans over to her empty seat. It was such a brilliant reversal of all the shots from her point of view.

I agree with you that she doesn't kill him out of revenge (for her sister, for his torment). He won't stop. He has the capacity to keep messing with her (what would stop him from making another suit?) and immense financial means. I loved the symmetry with the earlier restaurant scene. And the minute he says "Surprise," he has explicitly threatened her. Also, it isn't one thing or the other--she clearly has some mental health issues--stemming from the abuse--and so she's not in a stable position to just get on with her life. She kills him to protect herself and James and Sidney. It's the "right" thing to do (and I maybe clapped a little? sorry), but it is complicated and I liked the deep, emotional score that accompanies her as she walks out of the house, into the air, and closes her eyes.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:48 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:21 am
I’m just glad...
Someone took a classic movie monster, focused on his love interest, and kept him a monster until a climactic conversation.
So dope.
Is it an approach that felt . . . familiar to you?
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:08 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:48 pm
Is it an approach that felt . . . familiar to you?
It did feel somewhat familiar but I haven’t quite been able to put my finger on it. Even so, something about...
The monster killing her sister and motivating her to kill him, with the well intentioned but ineffectual help of an African American cop friend, and the rampage mayhem of the monster taking out a room full of armed men...
Just seems like the kind of thing only a genius could come up with.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:10 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:08 pm
It did feel somewhat familiar but I haven’t quite been able to put my finger on it. Even so, something about...
The monster killing her sister and motivating her to kill him, with the well intentioned but ineffectual help of an African American cop friend, and the rampage mayhem of the monster taking out a room full of armed men...
Just seems like the kind of thing only a genius could come up with.
Keep thinking, I'm sure it will come to you.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:34 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:10 pm
I got it :) :up:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:56 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:10 pm
Bad Times at the El Royale? Something like that.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:09 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:14 pm
I thought that they did a nice job of making it clear that the episodes were inspired by the stories and not "adaptations" of them.

And I'll admit some bias that it was a really nice surprise to feel a sudden certainty in the second episode (the one that is a horror take on a sexual assault story) that the show had a strong female presence at the very least in the writing room. That particular episode really hit me because it evoked both very real world fears/anxieties/sadness and also hit on some horror ideas (worms/parasites in your body) that really squick me out.

I think that 20 minutes is still a pretty concise time frame to tell a story. I haven't felt so far that either story overstayed its welcome. The rape-themed one really benefited from the longer time, because it gave the story time to evolve from the character going to the clinic, getting HIV screenings, etc to starting to believe that there's something inside of her body. And I don't want to give it away, but there's a part where the character starts to get herself back together only to have something really disturbing push her over the edge again. I was actually shocked at the end that it was only 20 minutes, because it felt like a much longer journey considering all of the elements and plot turns.

Like I said, I'm curious to see if the rest of the episodes are as good as the first two. I feel like the second episode was really good. I have some hope because the woman who wrote that episode also wrote several other episodes. I'll report back again once I've watched a few more.
Today's installment of "Cap resurrects a months-old conversation"--

Hey Tak, did you ever finish Two Sentence Horror Stories?
I have one episode left and while I wouldn't say I'm blown away it's still a solid enough show. My favorite episode by far was "Tutorial", written by the same writer as "Gentleman" (the one about the guy looking for single moms).
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:41 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:09 am
Today's installment of "Cap resurrects a months-old conversation"--

Hey Tak, did you ever finish Two Sentence Horror Stories?
I have one episode left and while I wouldn't say I'm blown away it's still a solid enough show. My favorite episode by far was "Tutorial", written by the same writer as "Gentleman" (the one about the guy looking for single moms).
I haven't. I've been just horrible the last year in terms of watching two or three episodes of something and then just abandoning it.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:57 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:41 pm
I haven't. I've been just horrible the last year in terms of watching two or three episodes of something and then just abandoning it.
Well, I won't tell you to drop everything and watch it. It's not that good. But if you were enjoying those first few episodes, you'll probably enjoy the rest.

I did some digging and there's a lot of diversity behind the camera. The showrunner is an Asian-American woman and every writer except one is a woman (of various ethnic backgrounds). The cast as well: I think the only white protagonist is one half of an interracial gay couple. So I think the show deserves some attention just for that reason, but I kind of wish the show was better.

The "Tutorial" episode I mentioned is based on an interesting conceit and has some fun twists. And I was genuinely disturbed by the time it was over. It's not as deep as something like "Squirm", so you might be less impressed than I was but I'd call it my favorite episode.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:05 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:57 pm
Well, I won't tell you to drop everything and watch it. It's not that good. But if you were enjoying those first few episodes, you'll probably enjoy the rest.

I did some digging and there's a lot of diversity behind the camera. The showrunner is an Asian-American woman and every writer except one is a woman (of various ethnic backgrounds). The cast as well: I think the only white protagonist is one half of an interracial gay couple. So I think the show deserves some attention just for that reason, but I kind of wish the show was better.

The "Tutorial" episode I mentioned is based on an interesting conceit and has some fun twists. And I was genuinely disturbed by the time it was over. It's not as deep as something like "Squirm", so you might be less impressed than I was but I'd call it my favorite episode.
The diversity of the writers/directors definitely impressed me when I looked it up. Like you, I wish that it was a little bit stronger. I've got an episode queued up, so I might watch a few more of them tonight.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:06 pm

Arrow is having a pretty impressive sale on iTunes. Many titles just $2.99. Picked up some titles to have a digital copy, to test their transfers and see if I want to pick up a hard copy, and some questionable titles that probably wouldn’t warrant a physical purchase. I got:

Audition
Ringu
Deep Red
Basket Case
The Prey
Edge of the Axe
Deadly Manor
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:08 pm

Two Sentence Horror Stories: Legacy

This episode is, in a nutshell, what I both like and dislike about the series.

A woman named Angela has just lost her husband, Jin, and lives with her mother-in-law and young son. From beyond the grave Jin torments Angela, something that was apparently also a habit during his lifetime. As the violence escalates, the women take steps to try and resolve the issue.

On the down side, the episode spends too much time with characters making vague statements, "I should have known," "Apologize for what you've done", etc.

But on the positive side, the episode roots its emotions in a very real issue (domestic violence), and manages to pull off two different plot twists in its short run-time. And while the plot could have easily just gone into "men are evil abusers" territory, the story has a lot more nuance to it than that, including its final moments that give time and care to the character of Jin. I also liked that it had an unconventional character choice, making an exorcist type character a young man instead of a wise old person or kooky persona.

As of now I'd rank the episodes:
Squirm
Gentleman
Legacy
Charles

Post by Charles » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:49 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:06 pm
Arrow is having a pretty impressive sale on iTunes. Many titles just $2.99. Picked up some titles to have a digital copy, to test their transfers and see if I want to pick up a hard copy, and some questionable titles that probably wouldn’t warrant a physical purchase. I got:

Audition
Ringu
Deep Red
Basket Case
The Prey
Edge of the Axe
Deadly Manor
Deep Red is questionable? As in Profondo Rosso?
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:29 am

Charles wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:49 am
Deep Red is questionable? As in Profondo Rosso?
Those were three different qualifiers. Deep Red falls under the “test their transfer” as I heard it’s far superior to my blue underground Blu-ray. It’s not as concrete a test as having the actual Blu-ray but if it’s as big a leap, it should be obvious when I side by side compare them.

Plus, I wouldn’t mind having a digital copy anyways. Never know when or where I’m gonna want to Argento.

The questionable titles were more the Prey (which I just watched and questionable indeed!), Edge of the Axe and Deadly Manor.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:39 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:08 pm
Two Sentence Horror Stories: Legacy
full disclosure: I dozed off in the middle of that one and never went back and watched the rest
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:47 am

Two Sentence Horror Stories: Scion

I mean, have you seen A Cure for Wellness? Then you've basically seen this one.

A young man from a wealthy family goes into a strange clinic to help him with his cancer. He begins to have strange visions and lose his sense of time. He investigates the head of the clinic, finding more and more disturbing things.

This one was fine. It was nice that the main character was part of a gay relationship. This is what more shows need: visible queerness in shows/movies that aren't *about* being gay.

Nothing to write home about, but not horrible either.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:10 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:47 am
Two Sentence Horror Stories: Scion
This is what more shows need: visible queerness in shows/movies that aren't *about* being gay.
Yes, at one point I was afraid the clinic was going to turn out to be some Conversion Therapy kind of thing, and was relieved that that wasn't the case.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:10 am

Two Sentence Horror Stories: Hide

I really liked this one. It might be up there with "Squirm".

Is it very on-the-nose? Yes. But the acting and premise are really solid.

A Hispanic woman living in fear of immigration authorities works as a nanny for a wealthy white couple, taking care of both an ailing elderly father and the couple's emotionally disabled daughter. One night, two giggling masked figures enter the house with murder in mind.

As with a few other episodes, I thought I knew what was happening and was totally wrong, which I loved. The ending makes a really blunt point about white privilege, but it fits perfectly with what has come before it.

Two Sentence Horror Stories: Tutorial

Just a bluntly dark comedy about a YouTube-like makeup tutorial gone wrong. I laughed. The editing and mannerisms of the "host" are perfect.
Stu

Post by Stu » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:47 am

Just curious, what is the thread's take on this particular article?: The Invisible Man's Disappearing Brain
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:48 pm

Stu wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:47 am
Just curious, what is the thread's take on this particular article?: The Invisible Man's Disappearing Brain
I think that it's a great example of someone who thinks that they are reviewing the film they watched, but actually is reviewing an entirely different film that they wanted to see.

The movie should have left it ambiguous as to whether or not there's an invisible man . . . in a movie called The Invisible Man and based on source material specifically centered on that character?

I also think that the author is totally missing (or choosing to ignore) that the film does allow ambiguity to linger. There are many scenes, especially late in the film, when Cecelia is too afraid to speak up for fear that she's being observed. But several of those scenes, there's never any proof (or even indication) that he's in the room with her. So we never know if she's making the correct choice or not when she censors herself.

As for the actual attack on her, I think that it's important to note that it's part of the manipulation that's happening and it is deliberately timed. In terms of exploitation of an abusive relationship, I felt that what actually appeared on screen was pretty restrained.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:37 pm

I'm not really much of a horror-buff or a follower of the vulgar auteurism movement so I'm curious what thoughts you guys have on Event Horizon

'cause if someone else recommends it to me, I might have no choice but to watch it.
Charles

Post by Charles » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:41 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:37 pm
I'm not really much of a horror-buff or a follower of the vulgar auteurism movement so I'm curious what thoughts you guys have on Event Horizon

'cause if someone else recommends it to me, I might have no choice but to watch it.
I recommend it to you.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:41 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:

I always confuse this one with Supernova and think I've seen it, but I don't think I have.

It's always sort of intrigued me, but clearly not enough to actually watch. It is streaming on Netflix. Hmm.
Charles

Post by Charles » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:44 pm

You guys really need to catch up on your classic schlock. Event Horizon is sort of an item, can't believe horror fans of this thread's caliver haven't seen it.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:49 pm

I actually saw Event Horizon for the first time last weekend. I didn't really care for it. Tired "motlew crew" setup done way better in Alien and The Abyss, bad science, thin characters and cheesy lines like "time is something we don't have." I'm a horror dilettante as well, so you may want to hear second opinions from the experts who frequent this thread in addition to mine.
Last Great Movie Seen
Time Bandits (Gilliam, 1981)
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:56 pm

Event Horizon has great premise, cast and set design that it squanders due to Paul WS Anderson being a terrible filmmaker.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:51 am

Torgo wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:49 pm
cheesy lines like "time is something we don't have."
But time is something they probably DON'T have! Because of the . . . event that's . . . on the horizon.*

*Reminder, I have not seen the film.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:55 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:51 am
But time is something they probably DON'T have! Because of the . . . event that's . . . on the horizon.*

*Reminder, I have not seen the film.
Haha! That would actually be an improvement.
Especially if Laurence gradually turned his head towards the camera.
Last Great Movie Seen
Time Bandits (Gilliam, 1981)
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:53 am

Event Horizon came out when I was a kid and all my friends got to see it in the theaters. But my parents were like, “No I heard things Barbour that movie you’re not going.” Finally saw it as an adult. It has an ok first couple acts that get too silly at the end.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:11 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:56 pm
Event Horizon has great premise, cast and set design that it squanders due to Paul WS Anderson being a terrible filmmaker.
YAP.

I do think it's almost worth it just for cutting from the blood orgy scene to Laurence Fishburne curtly saying: "We're leaving." The rest is hacky sub-Solaris nonsense that's lucky enough to have the virtues you describe.
NOTE:
Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:51 am

Event Horizon is in the same category of Snake Eyes in starting off like it might be really dope and getting progressively shittier in almost a straight line until the shittacular finale.
Although the fact that the ending plays like a shitty, limp video game boss fight makes it feel right at home in his filmography.
____
Blog!
Charles

Post by Charles » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:05 am

So we all agree there's something to see in that movie, right? At least you should watch it for Sam Neil's Shakespearean explanation of the ship's engine, using a pencil and a titty poster. A scene that was paid homage to in Interstellar, if I'm not mistaken.

Seriously though, the design of the ship is super neat, very Warhammer-y. It's worth seeing.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:34 am

Dimensions beyond our comprehension.

[80 minutes later]

Naked Sam Neill kickpunching the hero.
NOTE:
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:06 pm

mmmm, that was the impression I had from other reviews: more distinctive than your average genre nonsense, but not enough to overshadow the lame stuff

I know if I want to watch Sam Neill in any Lovecraft-ian hijinks I can either watch In the Mouth of Madness or re-watch Possession.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:59 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:

Well, it's not actually good, per se, but I'm not necessarily sorry I watched it. How's that?
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:50 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:59 pm
Well, it's not actually good, per se, but I'm not necessarily sorry I watched it. How's that?
Man, isn't that like 60% of the horror that I watch?

Then there's 15% bad, 15% good, and 10% pretty good or great.