Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Discuss anything you want.
Torgo

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Torgo » Sat May 16, 2020 5:35 pm

DaMU wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 3:06 pm
I guess it's not nothing that Jek "Red 6" Porkins from Star Wars licks his lips and offers to drive up a woman's Hershey highway.
Sold.
Long love Richard Stanley.
Last Great Movie Seen
Dragonslayer (Robbins, 1981)
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat May 16, 2020 5:45 pm

Torgo wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 5:35 pm
Sold.
Long love Richard Stanley.
This is me just starting on him-- I want to watch Dust Devil and Color Out of Space soon.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat May 16, 2020 6:28 pm

How’d you watch Hardwire?
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat May 16, 2020 6:36 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:28 pm
How’d you watch Hardwire?
With my eyeballs.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat May 16, 2020 6:44 pm

DaMU wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:36 pm
With my eyeballs.
I’ve only heard rumors of this ability...
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat May 16, 2020 6:53 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:44 pm
I’ve only heard rumors of this ability...
It's not something the Jedi would tell you.

Google Play, I think. It was late, and I was drunk.
NOTE:
Rock

Post by Rock » Sat May 16, 2020 7:20 pm

DaMU wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 3:06 pm
Hardware (1990) - C+ / B-

Looks great. I guess it's not nothing that Jek "Red 6" Porkins from Star Wars licks his lips and offers to drive up a woman's Hershey highway.
I think my problem with the movie is that it sets up a fairly intricate (albeit derivative) visual world only to spend most of its runtime in a fairly uninteresting location, and adopts so manic a stylistic approach that it pisses away any of the tension a confined setting might offer.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat May 16, 2020 7:38 pm

Rock wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 7:20 pm
I think my problem with the movie is that it sets up a fairly intricate (albeit derivative) visual world only to spend most of its runtime in a fairly uninteresting location, and adopts so manic a stylistic approach that it pisses away any of the tension a confined setting might offer.
This is a good point and part of what left me "meh." The world here, the production design, the art of it, is lush and inviting. It feels like a good post-apoc variation on Mad Max and Terminator, a bit more of a cyberpunk edge along with all of those saturated reds. And then, like you say, the film sticks us basically in one spot in the back half. You say it's too manic; I also think it's too familiar in its slasher rhythms, and you know the creative team is capable of more interesting ideas.
NOTE:
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Sun May 17, 2020 5:22 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 12:42 pm
Top 20 90s

Silence of the Lambs
The Reflecting Skin
Blair Witch Project
Frankenhooker
Candyman
Cure
Jacobs Ladder
Ravenous
Misery
Cemetery Man
The Faculty
Scream
Ringu
Castlefreak
The Vagrant
Popcorn
Habit
The Burning Moon
In the Mouth of Madness
Happy Hell Night
Frankenhooker and Misery are two flicks I should have seen by now. Same goes for Ringu, The Cure and The Faculty. I have never head of The Vagrant, Happy Hell Night or The Burning Moon. The last two sound cool.
This Is My Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Sun May 17, 2020 5:26 am

Demon Knight is really entertaining, fun, gory and very Tales From the Crypt (of course). Having Jada Pinkett and others in the middle of William Sadler vs Billy Zane was a great touch.
Shitty Film Thread
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Sun May 17, 2020 5:34 am

I think I've seen enough to do a Top 20 1980s Horror List too:
1. The Thing (1982)
2. Dead Ringers (1988)
3. Tetsuo: The Iron Man (1989)
4. Thriller (1983)
5. Possession (1981)
6. Tenebre (1982)
7. Re-Animator (1985)
8. Manhunter (1986)
9. The Fly (1986)
10. Evil Dead II (1987)
11. Creepshow (1982)
12. Videodrome (1983)
13. Night of the Creeps (1986)
14. The Changeling (1980)
15. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986)
16. House by the Cemetery (1981)
17. The Final Terror (1983)
18. From Beyond (1986)
19. The Shining (1980)
20. An American Werewolf in London (1981)
Shitty Film Thread
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun May 17, 2020 6:06 am

Seeing Final Terror above the Shining and American Werewolf in London (let alone From Beyond and the multitudes of superior slashers) irks me in Armond White levels.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sun May 17, 2020 6:11 am

MadMan wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:34 am
1. The Thing (1982)
2. Dead Ringers (1988)
3. Tetsuo: The Iron Man (1989)
4. Thriller (1983)
5. Possession (1981)
6. Tenebre (1982)
7. Re-Animator (1985)
8. Manhunter (1986)
9. The Fly (1986)
10. Evil Dead II (1987)
11. Creepshow (1982)
12. Videodrome (1983)
13. Night of the Creeps (1986)
14. The Changeling (1980)
15. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986)
16. House by the Cemetery (1981)
17. The Final Terror (1983)
18. From Beyond (1986)
19. The Shining (1980)
20. An American Werewolf in London (1981)
I've seen 11 of those. Some of the rankings are surprising (Shining at only 19? Hell naw), but good list nonetheless. I also should revisit American Werewolf in London soon as I didn't like it when I saw it for the first time.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun May 17, 2020 6:39 am

My list for the '80s would look something like this:

Aliens
An American Werewolf in London
Creepshow
The Evil Dead
Evil Dead II
The Fly
Gremlins
Hellraiser
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
Inferno
Near Dark
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Pin
Poltergeist
Re-Animator
The Shining
Something Wicked This Way Comes
The Stuff
The Thing
The Vanishing

Out of those, The Fly would be my top choice. That movie is some next-level godliness. One of my favorite movies.
NOTE:
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun May 17, 2020 6:53 am

MadMan wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:34 am
1. The Thing (1982) - A-
2. Dead Ringers (1988) - B+
3. Tetsuo: The Iron Man (1989) - C
6. Tenebre (1982) - B
7. Re-Animator (1985) - A-
9. The Fly (1986) - A+
10. Evil Dead II (1987) - A
11. Creepshow (1982) - B+
12. Videodrome (1983) - B-
13. Night of the Creeps (1986) - B
14. The Changeling (1980) - B-
15. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986) - B+
18. From Beyond (1986) - B+
19. The Shining (1980) - B+
20. An American Werewolf in London (1981) - A-
Fun list, lotta great stuff, not in an order I expected.
NOTE:
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Sun May 17, 2020 12:49 pm

The Town that Dreaded Sundown (1976).

Not a great film, but it works, at least for me. Why does it work? Juxtaposition. It's like Leave it to Beaver mixed in with The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. The everyday scenes are wooden. The lines a bad and the line reading is arguable worse. But it's earnest. In it's own way, it has a bizarre sort of charm. There is an unreality to it which suggests that nothing too bad can happen. The killing scenes, however, break that implicit promise with strangely slasher-style horror. The aesthetic effect is unsettling.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun May 17, 2020 12:52 pm

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:49 pm

Not a great film, but it works, at least for me. Why does it work? Juxtaposition. It's like Leave it to Beaver mixed in with The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. The everyday scenes are wooden. The lines a bad and the line reading is arguable worse. But it's earnest. In it's own way, it has a bizarre sort of charm. There is an unreality to it which suggests that nothing too bad can happen. The killing scenes, however, break that implicit promise with strangely slasher-style horror. The aesthetic effect is unsettling.
I swear there’s a Dukes of Hazzard-esque car crash that has a slide whistle. The campy humor makes it stand out but I can’t help but feel had they reigned that in and maintained the serious tone, it would be mentioned alongside TCM a lot more. The Trumpet scene is so odd yet visceral in a way that captures sadistic perversion with true authenticity (despite being a complete creation by the filmmakers).

I’m a fan. The remake is solid too but ultra-stylish and sleek.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Sun May 17, 2020 1:15 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:52 pm
I swear there’s a Dukes of Hazzard-esque car crash that has a slide whistle. The campy humor makes it stand out but I can’t help but feel had they reigned that in and maintained the serious tone, it would be mentioned alongside TCM a lot more. The Trumpet scene is so odd yet visceral in a way that captures sadistic perversion with true authenticity (despite being a complete creation by the filmmakers).

Right, it's like a bad comedy from 1950's got T-boned by a 70's slasher film. The car crash is because of the dumb yokel cop who is played for laughs as a Barney Fife. It's not just that the styles are clashing, but that they're in different genres.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun May 17, 2020 1:20 pm

Sun May 17, 2020 1:15 pm
Right, it's like a bad comedy from 1950's got T-boned by a 70's slasher film. The car crash is because of the dumb yokel cop who is played for laughs as a Barney Fife. It's not just that the styles are clashing, but that they're in different genres.
Different genres they never try to blend. It just changes from scene to scene. Utterly baffling.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun May 17, 2020 1:33 pm

MadMan wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:22 am
Frankenhooker and Misery are two flicks I should have seen by now. Same goes for Ringu, The Cure and The Faculty. I have never head of The Vagrant, Happy Hell Night or The Burning Moon. The last two sound cool.
The Burning Moon probably shouldn't be considered a recommendation. It's a really low budget, pretty vile and nihilistic film. It's an anthology of sleaze, and from what I remember, the first two are pretty terrible and unpleasant and not really even worth watching. It's only on my list for the third story, which while still incredibly hard to watch with all of its violence, it becomes one of the greater depicitions of Hell I've seen in a film. Just a place of never ending and growingly absurd gore. If one can get passed the reflex of turning away, it's impressive what these guys did with a bunch of shitty special effects and about twelve dollars in budget. Still, very much not for all tastes, and I will duck any responsibility for anyone ever watching it.

The Vagrant really plays more as a off center comedy that involves Bill Paxton becoming increasingly obsessed and paranoid about a vagrant who is living in the back of his house. It's a minor work in probably any way, but the concept and Paxton's performance make it work. I just find it really entertaining.

Happy Hell Night is just a decent forgotten horror film from the decade. I honestly can't remember much about it, but I couldn't think of what else could round out a top 20. It's probably worth giving a chance though.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun May 17, 2020 1:35 pm

Top 80's horror, would hardly even know where to begin.

I remember the remake of Town that Dreaded Sundown starting really well, and getting my hopes up. But then it quickly turned into a pile of shit.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun May 17, 2020 2:01 pm

Top 30, because 30 was already difficult enough

The Shining
Return of the Living Dead
Possession
The Thing
The Evil Dead
City of the Living Dead
Fright Night
Poltergeist
Creepshow
An American Werewolf in London
Evil Dead 2
Christine
Changeling
Maniac
Day of the Dead
Phenomena
The Fog
Prom Night
Sleepaway Camp
Nightmare on Elm Street 3
Demons
Brain Damage
ReAnimator
Pieces
Don't Go In The House
Lair of the White Worm
Visiting Hours
Vamp
Night of the Demons
Fear No Evil
Things
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun May 17, 2020 2:16 pm

Sun May 17, 2020 12:49 pm

The everyday scenes are wooden. The lines a bad and the line reading is arguable worse. But it's earnest. In it's own way, it has a bizarre sort of charm.
You are now ready for The Legend of Boggy Creek! :shifty:
ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:52 pm

As the founder of the Charles B Pierce Fan Club, I'm always rankled that this gets skipped over in the "what was the first slasher" discussion. We quibble over whether TCM or Black Christmas are "pure" slashers and then skip straight to Halloween, but how is Sundown NOT a slasher? I fully concede that Halloween was more popular and (way) better, but I struggle to understand why we've chosen that one to be the "first" when Sundown exists. (Not that it's important, just a fanboy's pet peeve).

And the Phantom Killer used a gun 40 years before Art the Clown. :)
Sun May 17, 2020 1:15 pm
The dumb yokel cop (aka Spark Plug) is played by none other than director Pierce himself. The bizarre clash of tones is something he had a problem with. (See the two, TWO, folk songs that appear in the middle of Boggy Creek.) It's part of the "charm" that fans come to accept but yeah, it certainly doesn't help his legacy.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Sun May 17, 2020 2:37 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 2:16 pm

As the founder of the Charles B Pierce Fan Club, I'm always rankled that this gets skipped over in the "what was the first slasher" discussion. We quibble over whether TCM or Black Christmas are "pure" slashers and then skip straight to Halloween, but how is Sundown NOT a slasher? I fully concede that Halloween was more popular and (way) better, but I struggle to understand why we've chosen that one to be the "first" when Sundown exists. (Not that it's important, just a fanboy's pet peeve).

The dumb yokel cop (aka Spark Plug) is played by none other than director Pierce himself. The bizarre clash of tones is something he had a problem with. (See the two, TWO, folk songs that appear in the middle of Boggy Creek.) It's part of the "charm" that fans come to accept but yeah, it certainly doesn't help his legacy.
I was aware of the provenance with The Legend of Boggy Creek. I even used to have a copy of it, but I didn't know that the goofy cop was the director/writer.

I never really "got" Boggy Creek, but I guess if you were a thirteen-year-old at a drive-in and thought this was a documentary, you'd "Blair Witch" your pants. Alas I was in on the joke for both Boggy and Blaire and I found that the proposition that either was scary, baffling.

For some reason when I think of Boggy Creek I cannot help but think of this public service ad from the same era, narrated Donald Pleasence.

I never thought of these films as being starting points for slashers and modern horror, but these two films are important points in the formation of these constellations.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun May 17, 2020 2:48 pm

That's the greatest PSA I've ever seen.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun May 17, 2020 3:09 pm

Also '70s Top 20:
The Abominable Dr. Phibes
Alien
Black Christmas
Carrie
Dawn of the Dead
The Exorcist
Frenzy
God Told Me To
Halloween
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Jaws
Martin
Nosferatu, the Vampyre
The Omen
Phantasm
Suspiria
Tales From the Crypt
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Theater of Blood
The Wicker Man

I need to give Don't Look Now and Picnic at Hanging Rock another shot someday. Neither one of them "landed" for me on my original viewings. I tried, goddamnit! :D
And '60s Top 20:
The Birds
Black Sunday
Carnival of Souls
The Devil Rides Out
The Haunting
The Innocents
Jigoku
Kill Baby Kill
Kwaidan
The Masque of the Red Death
Night of the Living Dead
Onibaba
Peeping Tom
Psycho
Repulsion
Rosemary's Baby
Village of the Damned
Wait Until Dark
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?
X - the Man with the X-Ray Eyes

It was hell leaving out Eyes Without a Face and Black Sabbath.
2000s Top 20:
28 Days Later
Battle Royale
The Descent
The Devil's Backbone
The Devil’s Rejects
Frailty
The Host
Lake Mungo
Land of the Dead
Let the Right One In
May
The Mist
The Orphanage
Pulse
Rec
Session 9
Shaun of the Dead
Signs
Slither
Triangle

Would have included Martyrs except it's just a bit too much for me. Much respect, though. Laugier's a real talent.
2010s Top 20:
10 Cloverfield Lane
Annihilation
Attack the Block
The Babadook
Black Death
The Cabin in the Woods
Crawl
Creepy
Doctor Sleep
Get Out
Green Room
The Invitation
It Follows
Kill List
Lords of Salem
Maniac
Red State
The Woman
VHS 2
What We Do in the Shadows
Now, time to go make some goddamn pancakes.
NOTE:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun May 17, 2020 3:18 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 2:16 pm

It doesn’t get mentioned as much because it’s more procedural than slasher in most regards. The emphasis on the investigation and the episodic treatment of the murders, rather than a 10 Little Indians structure really remove it from the vibe that would define the slasher structure.

I refer to it as a proto-slasher.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sun May 17, 2020 3:28 pm

Here's where my all-time list stands as of now:
28 Days Later
Alien
The Blair Witch Project
Bride of Frankenstein
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Carrie
Diabolique
Eraserhead
The Evil Dead
God Told Me To
Halloween
King Kong
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
The Phantom Carriage
Re-Anmator
Shawn of the Dead
The Shining
The Silence of the Lambs
Suspiria
The Thing
Throne of Blood
Un Chien Andalou
The Unknown
Vampyr
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun May 17, 2020 3:34 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:18 pm
It doesn’t get mentioned as much because it’s more procedural than slasher in most regards. The emphasis on the investigation and the episodic treatment of the murders, rather than a 10 Little Indians structure really remove it from the vibe that would define the slasher structure.

I refer to it as a proto-slasher.
hmmm...you mean because he's a true serial killer as opposed to a kills-10-people-in-one-night kind of thing? That makes sense. I also wondered if the narration element was a factor. And I guess there can't be a final girl if the killings are spread out over months. Consider me slightly less butt-hurt. :)
Still, a lot of the ingredients are there. Mask, catchy name, creative kills, young couple murdered after making out, killer survives the end of the film to kill some more. I still think it needs to get mentioned more, whether we designate it proto or not. Just doing my part for the cause.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun May 17, 2020 3:38 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:28 pm
Here's where my all-time list stands as of now:
28 Days Later
Alien
The Blair Witch Project
Bride of Frankenstein
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Carrie
Diabolique
Eraserhead
The Evil Dead
God Told Me To
Halloween
King Kong
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
The Phantom Carriage
Re-Anmator
Shawn of the Dead
The Shining
The Silence of the Lambs
Suspiria
The Thing
Throne of Blood
Un Chien Andalou
The Unknown
Vampyr
Respect for the Body Snatchers you chose. :up:
NOTE:
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sun May 17, 2020 3:39 pm

DaMU wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:38 pm
Respect for the Body Snatchers you chose. :up:
The remake is excellent, but I've always preferred the original by a bit.
Charles

Post by Charles » Sun May 17, 2020 3:40 pm

What's everyone's opinion on the Nicole Kidman Body Snatcher? I never heard it mentionned since release.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Sun May 17, 2020 4:06 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:34 pm
hmmm...you mean because he's a true serial killer as opposed to a kills-10-people-in-one-night kind of thing? That makes sense. I also wondered if the narration element was a factor. And I guess there can't be a final girl if the killings are spread out over months. Consider me slightly less butt-hurt. :)
Still, a lot of the ingredients are there. Mask, catchy name, creative kills, young couple murdered after making out, killer survives the end of the film to kill some more. I still think it needs to get mentioned more, whether we designate it proto or not. Just doing my part for the cause.
Either way, there is something here worth noting. If feels like a slasher to me, although this is more like Michael Myers terrorizing Mayberry R.F.D. than a conventional horror film. And I think that MKS is right about the trombone scene really being something else. That is that film's equivalent of a "chest-burster" a la ALIEN.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Sun May 17, 2020 5:09 pm

While Stuart Gordon's Re-Animator and From Beyond have been heaped with praise, and rightly so, Dolls is arguably on par with them. It has all the qualities that have made Gordon's preceding movies endure, including an artisinal, handcrafted look and feel, strong performances from the entire cast and scares that give you chills and make you laugh at their audacity. Speaking of the cast, the standouts are Carolyn Purdy-Gordon, who makes Rosemary equally loathsome and funny and Stephen Lee as Judy's childlike ally Ralph. All the same, Carrie Lorraine - who actually resembles a doll herself - is the MVP for how well she expresses her desire to be understood, and well, parented. Also, the handcrafted quality I mentioned is most evident in the doll effects, which thankfully avoid the uncanny valley that typically mars horror movies like this one. The movie is also valuable as a cultural artifact for how it depicts what got on people's nerves during the late '80s: in addition to Judy's yuppie parents, the Hartwickes' cadre of uninvited guests include a pair of punk rockers. Some of the worldbuilding is confusing, and while that may be on purpose, it took me out of the movie a few times, and Mr. Hartwicke's moralizing at the end seems redundant. Regardless, it's still a very entertaining and thoughtful exploration of the fear of your toys coming to life and the possibly even worse fear of your parents never or never desiring to understand you.
Last Great Movie Seen
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun May 17, 2020 5:19 pm

Charles wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:40 pm
What's everyone's opinion on the Nicole Kidman Body Snatcher? I never heard it mentionned since release.
It's not the worst thing, it's just disappointing given the talent involved. There's an interesting idea to it: the body snatchers want to take the planet not to exploit it, but to simply live in it, and they'll live in better equilibrium to the natural world than us, and the movie seems to agree with this.
NOTE:
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun May 17, 2020 6:27 pm

Torgo wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:09 pm
While Stuart Gordon's Re-Animator and From Beyond have been heaped with praise, and rightly so, Dolls is arguably on par with them. It has all the qualities that have made Gordon's preceding movies endure, including an artisinal, handcrafted look and feel, strong performances from the entire cast and scares that give you chills and make you laugh at their audacity. Speaking of the cast, the standouts are Carolyn Purdy-Gordon, who makes Rosemary equally loathsome and funny and Stephen Lee as Judy's childlike ally Ralph. All the same, Carrie Lorraine - who actually resembles a doll herself - is the MVP for how well she expresses her desire to be understood, and well, parented. Also, the handcrafted quality I mentioned is most evident in the doll effects, which thankfully avoid the uncanny valley that typically mars horror movies like this one. The movie is also valuable as a cultural artifact for how it depicts what got on people's nerves during the late '80s: in addition to Judy's yuppie parents, the Hartwickes' cadre of uninvited guests include a pair of punk rockers. Some of the worldbuilding is confusing, and while that may be on purpose, it took me out of movie a few times, and Mr. Hartwicke's moralizing at the end seems redundant. Regardless, it's still a very entertaining and thoughtful exploration of the fear of your toys coming to life and the possibly even worse fear of your parents never or never desiring to understand you.
I absolutely LOVE Dolls. It was such a pleasant surprise the first time I watched it, and I found several genuinely thrilling/horrifying moments in it, like the
creatures inside the dolls, or that giant teddy bear monster

And, like you say, it benefits so much from a solid child lead and an enjoyable adult ally (though he's maybe made a bit too naive/childish in an attempt to make it clear that he's NOT A PERVERT).
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Sun May 17, 2020 6:50 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:27 pm
And, like you say, it benefits so much from a solid child lead and an enjoyable adult ally (though he's maybe made a bit too naive/childish in an attempt to make it clear that he's NOT A PERVERT).
It did get very close to that level of cringe, but it thankfully avoided it. They probably made Ralph too childish so that it didn't happen, but I don't know what else they could have done. At least they had the good taste to not make him a Magical Negro or mentally disabled.
Last Great Movie Seen
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun May 17, 2020 9:35 pm

Torgo wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:50 pm
It did get very close to that level of cringe, but it thankfully avoided it. They probably made Ralph too childish so that it didn't happen, but I don't know what else they could have done. At least they had the good taste to not make him a Magical Negro or mentally disabled.
It's a tricky spot to be in. On the one hand, like you say, making the character mentally disabled could go really, really wrong. But the flip side is that not many reasonable adult men are going to want to go traipsing around a house with a little girl who they don't know, if only for the sake of appearances. I think that it works because the character is genuinely likable, but it borders on the ridiculous.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun May 17, 2020 9:51 pm

MadMan wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:22 am
I think Frankenhooker will surprise you. It did me. It's really clever.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun May 17, 2020 9:53 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:06 am
Seeing Final Terror above the Shining and American Werewolf in London (let alone From Beyond and the multitudes of superior slashers) irks me in Armond White levels.
While I agree that those two films are great and better films, I actually think The Final Terror is one of the most underrated Horror movies I've seen in years.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun May 17, 2020 10:09 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:51 pm
I think Frankenhooker will surprise you. It did me. It's really clever.
Yeah, Frankenhooker is excellent. Brain Damage is far and away my favorite of his (as it is both very Henenlotter and legitimately sad and moving), but Frankenhooker is a solid second place.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun May 17, 2020 10:16 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:09 pm
Yeah, Frankenhooker is excellent. Brain Damage is far and away my favorite of his (as it is both very Henenlotter and legitimately sad and moving), but Frankenhooker is a solid second place.
I still haven't seen Brain Damage.

In fact, Tak, you have to do this for me. Because I have moderate to severe ADD and will never remember, even if I make a list (I'll forget I made the list or not be able to remember where I put it or something). So I need you to remind me of the movies I need to watch this October.
You get this responsibility because THREE of them are yours and maybe more.
Brain Damage
Martin
Blood & Donuts

I also promised I would re-watch Prom Night and The Prowler to re-consider whether they are the worst two slashers ever made.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun May 17, 2020 10:16 pm

Also, I'm trying to watch Under the Silver Lake and I feel like I've been watching this movie for three hours. It's been 90 minutes.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun May 17, 2020 10:55 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:16 pm
Also, I'm trying to watch Under the Silver Lake and I feel like I've been watching this movie for three hours. It's been 90 minutes.
Oh, and now I gotta see Dolls too (see the post above) and I feel like that's on you too. So you can just add that to your duties.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun May 17, 2020 11:02 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:16 pm
I still haven't seen Brain Damage.

In fact, Tak, you have to do this for me. Because I have moderate to severe ADD and will never remember, even if I make a list (I'll forget I made the list or not be able to remember where I put it or something). So I need you to remind me of the movies I need to watch this October.
You get this responsibility because THREE of them are yours and maybe more.
Brain Damage
Martin
Blood & Donuts

I also promised I would re-watch Prom Night and The Prowler to re-consider whether they are the worst two slashers ever made.
Brain Damage is on Kanopy and Shudder, just FYI.

I will add your films to the spreadsheet.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun May 17, 2020 11:27 pm

I've seen 13 Stuart Gordon films and Dolls is my favorite.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun May 17, 2020 11:30 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:53 pm
While I agree that those two films are great and better films, I actually think The Final Terror is one of the most underrated Horror movies I've seen in years.
But why? It isn’t even my favorite 80’s slasher with “Final” in the title.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon May 18, 2020 12:21 am

I'm a The Final Terror fan as well. I subscribe to the theory that it's sort of an anti-slasher like Scream in that its ribbing the genre's tropes (albeit more subtly). Plus, you have to love its manic energy - and not just in Joey Pants's nutso performance - and that swooping camerawork.
Last Great Movie Seen
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon May 18, 2020 12:36 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 11:27 pm
I've seen 13 Stuart Gordon films and Dolls is my favorite.
Just curious: where does Robot Jox rank?
Last Great Movie Seen
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Mon May 18, 2020 12:42 am

Torgo wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 12:36 am
Just curious: where does Robot Jox rank?
I couldn't find it when I was doing my Gordon-o-thon last year! If you know where I can find it, hook a buddy up.