Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Discuss anything you want.
Rock

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Rock » Tue May 19, 2020 10:45 pm

DaMU wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:41 pm
You can't cancel me, I'm too busy canceling Al Jolson.
Jolson's use of blackface definitely does not slap.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue May 19, 2020 11:11 pm

DaMU wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:41 pm
You can't cancel me, I'm too busy canceling Al Jolson.
And now he attacks iconic Jewish actors.
Charles

Post by Charles » Tue May 19, 2020 11:36 pm

Leave Al Jolson alone. Poor chinmey sweep kept stumbling onto tv and movie sets. It's a real shame what his streak of bad luck and his clumsiness did to his reputation.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue May 19, 2020 11:47 pm

Charles wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:36 pm
Leave Al Jolson alone. Poor chinmey sweep kept stumbling onto tv and movie sets. It's a real shame what his streak of bad luck and his clumsiness did to his reputation.
:D

Now I'm imagining Jolson talking to the director right before the premiere.

"You did what? Why didn't you tell me? ...well, how many sooty takes did you use? All of them?!"
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed May 20, 2020 6:42 am

Wooley wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:31 pm
I haven't, but I'll scout around for it since you rec it and you compare it favorably to The Final Terror which I will watch anytime, anywhere, in a box, or with a fox.
It's been a while since I've seen it so I'll have to do this from fairly remote memory (goddamn RT wiping out hundreds of write-ups I did) but here's what I can remember:
The first thing that comes to mind is that I loved the dynamic of the group. I found it really surprising and refreshing the way it starts out with a feint that this is gonna be uncomfortable when the group of very typically male guides is gonna take these good-looking women out into the woods and of course you expect them to behave badly... but then they don' they actually have fun and are pretty decent and then when things go wrong, I really liked the way the group pulled together. I felt like this was an area I would expect a low-budget slasher to be very tropish, but it wasn't, at all. The characters acted like people instead of tropes and I thought that was really great.
I liked Zmed and Rachel Ward, and Hannah too, but there were others I liked as well, I didn't really feel like anyone was flat or lacked a personality. I definitely thought Pantoliano delivered.
Speaking of subverted tropes (and I know this movie was early so it probably wasn't intentionally subverting them, but in retrospect...) I really, really liked that this wasn't like a group that just kept having people wander off to go skinny-dipping or get high (though both of those things happen early on) or have sex as if there was no danger, and then getting individually picked off in little set-pieces (there were some, if I remember, but not like it is in most slashers). I thought it felt much more real than the usual camp or woods or whatever kinda thing where everything is just set up by the filmmakers to deliver evenly paced kills one at a time until the final girl. I liked that they were all just stuck out deep in the woods with a predator that was more violent than they could be or be prepared for, that knew the terrain, that in every way had the advantage on them and they were all just trying to survive.
I also thought that the movie was kinda clever in the way it kept you teetering on this balance of "Is this exactly what it seems? Or are they gonna flip this some way?" I felt that was going on throughout the movie and I thought they held that up pretty well until they decided to reveal what was going on and it kept me interested. Which leads into the fact that I thought The Bad was really cool and interesting and it was also a bit of a flip on the common horror idea of someone has a child (Jason or the monster in The Funhouse or any number of other "we have to keep him in the basement") that is the monster/killer/whatever. Not something I'd seen in a lot of other horror movies.
I loved the scene(s) with the cabin. Really thought all that was cool. I loved the scene on the bus at night. I really liked the climax

That's all I can remember right now.
Just noticed I missed this.

Let me just put it this way, only THE PREY secured a swell release by Arrow.

Interesting on the group dynamic and characters. I found them fairly amorphous and constantly had the sensation that I had missed information about why they were going out there at all (they didn’t seem like just friends and had the vibe of a work release at first but that faded away). Aside from Joey Pants I struggle to recall any discernible personality traits to any of them. This lack of depth or stand out characteristics (archetypes tend to work as short hand in this genre for a reason) could be forgivable if other elements were particularly strong but I found the slasher to be uninteresting and the scares to be hamfisted and largely none existent. What personality traits stood out to you about the characters?

I don’t get how you can credit it for not doing those things while saying they did happen (because yeah, bud, they did happen). They do occur towards the beginning of this 90 min movie but that’s largely because after the two initial killings (one of which with SOUP CAN LIDS! Explain that to me!) virtually nothing happens in the movie at all. They’re mainly just wandering around the woods like virtually every cynical direct to VHS horror film would do for the next two decades. When you can’t fill the feature length, let them wander around the woods.

Your appreciation of the killer would be something I agree with but they betray the ethos they establish:
If the lore at the fire side telling (another tired trope so I refuse to call this thing subversive), the mom was raped and went crazy. She sees the couple having sex by the lake after skinny dipping and kills the man. I get it it. A triggering event. Then she... Kidnaps the girl only to arbitrarily kill her and throw the body at them in the boat?Then she cuts Hannah’s throat (which turns out to just be a scratch) and trips another guy who falls to death. So what’s her ethos? What’s her madness? She only does the former because they’re beating up her son and seems surprised by it? She then is off handedly killed by a trap. She’s not cunning, threatening or consistent. She even barely feels like a presence for much of the film.
I thought them teaming up was just about the only interesting thing in the film and it culminates in such an anticlimactic fashion that I felt like I’d just watched poorly shot camping footage lazily tossed together and called a slasher.

It aimed for Deliverance while trying to cynically cash in on F13th and came close to neither.
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed May 20, 2020 11:53 am

Amityville 1992: It's About Time is surprisingly good. I mean, it has some '90s cheap DTV vibe bringing it down and seems to stumble abruptly into its crazier moments than really building to them, but compared to the limp original and the "so bad it's good" fourth installment (haven't seen any others in the series), it's made with something resembling actual quality shockingly enough. (It's directed by Tony Randel, who helmed the second Hellraiser, so the level of quality might be less of a shock to fans of that movie). Also, I appreciated that the metalhead son was actually fairly well behaved. When we meet him he's quit smoking, mostly just practices on his guitar, and the worst thing we see him do is skip school to play chess with an old lady.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed May 20, 2020 3:21 pm

Rock wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:53 am
Amityville 1992: It's About Time is surprisingly good. I mean, it has some '90s cheap DTV vibe bringing it down and seems to stumble abruptly into its crazier moments than really building to them, but compared to the limp original and the "so bad it's good" fourth installment (haven't seen any others in the series), it's made with something resembling actual quality shockingly enough. (It's directed by Tony Randel, who helmed the second Hellraiser, so the level of quality might be less of a shock to fans of that movie). Also, I appreciated that the metalhead son was actually fairly well behaved. When we meet him he's quit smoking, mostly just practices on his guitar, and the worst thing we see him do is skip school to play chess with an old lady.
I don't know if I've seen this one, but in regardless to the Amityville series, it is arguably one of the worst in all of horror filmdom. I always believe The Possession is probably better than I remember, because it has Burt Young playing an alcoholic (which usually brings me to a warm and cozy place), but then I watch it and always struggle to finish it. 3-D was a movie, even as a child, I would watch all the time just simply baffled over why I could hate something with a bunch of monsters in it sooooo much. Then there is that TV movie with Patty Duke and a haunted lamp, which I watched during one of the worst flu's of my young life, and I still feel like I'm going to vomit whenever I even so much as think of it.

Watch all of those motherfuckers and just try to come back at me how bad the original is.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed May 20, 2020 3:57 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:42 am
Just noticed I missed this.

Let me just put it this way, only THE PREY secured a swell release by Arrow.

Interesting on the group dynamic and characters. I found them fairly amorphous and constantly had the sensation that I had missed information about why they were going out there at all (they didn’t seem like just friends and had the vibe of a work release at first but that faded away). Aside from Joey Pants I struggle to recall any discernible personality traits to any of them. This lack of depth or stand out characteristics (archetypes tend to work as short hand in this genre for a reason) could be forgivable if other elements were particularly strong but I found the slasher to be uninteresting and the scares to be hamfisted and largely none existent. What personality traits stood out to you about the characters?

I don’t get how you can credit it for not doing those things while saying they did happen (because yeah, bud, they did happen). They do occur towards the beginning of this 90 min movie but that’s largely because after the two initial killings (one of which with SOUP CAN LIDS! Explain that to me!) virtually nothing happens in the movie at all. They’re mainly just wandering around the woods like virtually every cynical direct to VHS horror film would do for the next two decades. When you can’t fill the feature length, let them wander around the woods.

Your appreciation of the killer would be something I agree with but they betray the ethos they establish:
If the lore at the fire side telling (another tired trope so I refuse to call this thing subversive), the mom was raped and went crazy. She sees the couple having sex by the lake after skinny dipping and kills the man. I get it it. A triggering event. Then she... Kidnaps the girl only to arbitrarily kill her and throw the body at them in the boat?Then she cuts Hannah’s throat (which turns out to just be a scratch) and trips another guy who falls to death. So what’s her ethos? What’s her madness? She only does the former because they’re beating up her son and seems surprised by it? She then is off handedly killed by a trap. She’s not cunning, threatening or consistent. She even barely feels like a presence for much of the film.
I thought them teaming up was just about the only interesting thing in the film and it culminates in such an anticlimactic fashion that I felt like I’d just watched poorly shot camping footage lazily tossed together and called a slasher.

It aimed for Deliverance while trying to cynically cash in on F13th and came close to neither.
Yeah, I'm just not feeling you on any of this. The way that you feel about these points, I just felt nearly the opposite about. Everything you didn't buy, I did. I can't tell you why we had such a different experience, we clearly saw the same movie, we just felt totally differently about it and I can't explain that. I felt it was a plucky thing that was different from what I expected and from other things I'd seen, especially given how early this is, I thought it was grittier (without ever really feeling this Deliverance comparison you keep making, I'm honestly not sure I even thought of that movie after the early part of the film) than I expected, I liked the people again because I thought they mostly acted like real people instead of slasher archetypes (something I guess you like from your statement above but I don't), I liked the story, I liked the actors, I mean, I've said all this already. We just don't agree.
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed May 20, 2020 5:01 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:21 pm
Then there is that TV movie with Patty Duke and a haunted lamp, which I watched during one of the worst flu's of my young life, and I still feel like I'm going to vomit whenever I even so much as think of it.
Is this the most horrifying thing that's come of the series?
____
Blog!
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed May 20, 2020 5:08 pm

Rock wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 5:01 pm
Is this the most horrifying thing that's come of the series?
George gets mighty chilly during the first one. His heating bill would be nothing to laugh at.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed May 20, 2020 9:38 pm

Wooley wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:57 pm
Yeah, I'm just not feeling you on any of this. The way that you feel about these points, I just felt nearly the opposite about. Everything you didn't buy, I did. I can't tell you why we had such a different experience, we clearly saw the same movie, we just felt totally differently about it and I can't explain that. I felt it was a plucky thing that was different from what I expected and from other things I'd seen, especially given how early this is, I thought it was grittier (without ever really feeling this Deliverance comparison you keep making, I'm honestly not sure I even thought of that movie after the early part of the film) than I expected, I liked the people again because I thought they mostly acted like real people instead of slasher archetypes (something I guess you like from your statement above but I don't), I liked the story, I liked the actors, I mean, I've said all this already. We just don't agree.
You didn’t pick up on the Deliverance elements even in hindsight?

It’s not that I like archetypes in slashers, it’s that I prefer them to non-entities. It’s poor characterization and lazy, sure. But I can differentiate between the jock and the nerd because they’re acting differently. Everyone in this is a non-entity. A body and nothing more. They don’t seem to have wants, desires or interests beyond survival and even that only seems to be an after thought as they still do the cliched actions on the rare instances they’re doing nothing at all.

But what did you like about the killer? You haven’t explained that.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu May 21, 2020 12:23 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:38 pm
You didn’t pick up on the Deliverance elements even in hindsight?

It’s not that I like archetypes in slashers, it’s that I prefer them to non-entities. It’s poor characterization and lazy, sure. But I can differentiate between the jock and the nerd because they’re acting differently. Everyone in this is a non-entity. A body and nothing more. They don’t seem to have wants, desires or interests beyond survival and even that only seems to be an after thought as they still do the cliched actions on the rare instances they’re doing nothing at all.

But what did you like about the killer? You haven’t explained that.
I get that they may have passingly invoked it for couple minutes, but like I said, I noticed it for a half a tick and then it was on to a horror movie about surviving in the woods while you're hunted by some goddamn monster-thing, while trying to unravel the mystery of what the fuck it is.
I don't think the characters are non-entities in the way you say, they are just people stuck in this situation. It's not the kind of movie where the backstories of these people matters so dodging the archetype thing is actually a big upgrade for me. They were a group of young people thrust together to survive this trial, several of the actors had personality, it worked just fine for me.
Was I supposed to explain what I liked about the killer too? Well, I thought I did in that I thought the killer was an interesting flip on the damaged-child trope, almost the mirror-image of it, which I haven't seen a lot of. I liked that the killer was way above any of their pay-grades to fight individually and therefore it not only made the dread of anyone being alone greater but also forced them together in that other thing that I've already said I liked. And I liked Pants' role in the killer's story and workings.
Like, how many different details of this movie do you want me to defend before you just accept that I liked it? And others here obviously have said they did too? You didn't like it. That's ok, I am perfectly happy to let you go on not liking it, but I feel like I've defended this movie enough, especially for one that I really mostly like, as I've said, for punching above its weight.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu May 21, 2020 12:28 am

It’s all good, Wools. Hopefully I can at least get some of y’all to give The Prey a shot in return. And if y’all hate it... At LEAST NO ONE WAS KILLED BY SOUP CAN LIDS!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu May 21, 2020 2:23 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:28 am
It’s all good, Wools. Hopefully I can at least get some of y’all to give The Prey a shot in return. And if y’all hate it... At LEAST NO ONE WAS KILLED BY SOUP CAN LIDS!
We work with what we have.

And yes, if I can find The Prey, I will watch it, and I doubt I will be disappointed.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu May 21, 2020 2:30 am

Wooley wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:23 am
We work with what we have.

And yes, if I can find The Prey, I will watch it, and I doubt I will be disappointed.
I bought it off iTunes during an Arrow sale for like $2.

I’m probably overselling it and risking disappointment but a lot of y’all’s experience with TFT echoes how I felt about it so I’m curious if we’ll just be inverses.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu May 21, 2020 2:40 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:30 am
I bought it off iTunes during an Arrow sale for like $2.

I’m probably overselling it and risking disappointment but a lot of y’all’s experience with TFT echoes how I felt about it so I’m curious if we’ll just be inverses.
I doubt it. The reason I could enjoy TFT as much as I did is because I tend to take it easy on movies. I even forgave Cats. It takes some pretty egregious or just cynical shit to make me angry at a movie. Like The Rise Of Skywalker. Which is 10x worse than TFT even flirted with. I'll take soup-can lids over snake-healing any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
So The Prey should be safe.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu May 21, 2020 2:54 am

Have any of you watched Sea Fever? I read a pretty positive review of it and I'm wondering if it's worth a movie-night rental.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu May 21, 2020 6:21 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:54 am
Have any of you watched Sea Fever? I read a pretty positive review of it and I'm wondering if it's worth a movie-night rental.
Didn't sea that one.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri May 22, 2020 2:28 am

DaMU wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:21 am
Didn't sea that one.
Booooo.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri May 22, 2020 2:50 am

Wooley wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:28 am
Booooo.
Cry me a river.
NOTE:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri May 22, 2020 2:54 am

DaMU wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:50 am
Cry me a river.
A river of sicks.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri May 22, 2020 3:00 am

Tesis - B+

In terms of a film debut, wow, what a triumph of casting and shot selection and effectively blending different kinds of suspense (a Hitchcockian family dinner, some giallo murder mystery, Blow Out process cinema) into a mostly coherent whole. I wasn't as keen on the film's overlength-- after about 90 minutes, the film keeps throwing down Uno cards when it should be cleaning up the game (a too-cute epiloque doesn't help either). Amenabar's most impressive feat here is the intensity he evokes from his lead actress (Ana Torrent) and lead heavy (Eduardo Noriega). And he needs those performances, as their tumultuous relationship becomes an effective proxy for the film's attraction/repulsion to violence.
NOTE:
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:49 am

DaMU wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:00 am
Tesis - B+

Amenabar's most impressive feat here is the intensity he evokes from his lead actress (Ana Torrent) and lead heavy (Eduardo Noriega). And he needs those performances, as their tumultuous relationship becomes an effective proxy for the film's attraction/repulsion to violence.
Yes, I thought that both leads were fantastic (as was the supporting actor playing the guy who helps her). Eduardo Noriega is low-key one of my favorite Spanish actors. One of those actors where for a while I wasn't actively seeking him out, and yet he kept popping up in movies that I really enjoyed (Devil's Backbone, Burnt Money).

One of my favorite sequences (and probably one of everyone's favorite sequences) is when she's watching the tape and she turns the brightness all the way down so that it's only sound. It's such a specific behavior that evokes for me something I used to do when I was little and something on the TV was too scary: either turn down the sound or turn down the picture to lessen the impact. It's such a great example of blending known and unknown horror in a single sequence. And it amplifies the sense of the main character as a viewer, making us an audience to her audience.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri May 22, 2020 6:17 am

Hey, so there's a horror movie from, looks like, 1987, called Scared Stiff that looks positively terrible so I'm thinking of watching it. Anyone got 411 on this?
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri May 22, 2020 6:21 am

Also, I feel like I need to know what the Messiah Of Evil/Eyes Of Fire/Lemora -type movies are out there that could still be left for me. I think y'all probably get what I mean. I might throw Let's Scare Jessica To Death in there too as a lesser one of these. Anybody got any thoughts or recommendations?
I tried Alucarda a few years ago but it didn't quite take, might give that another shot, but there have to be some more of these things out there.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri May 22, 2020 6:27 am

Wooley wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:21 am
Also, I feel like I need to know what the Messiah Of Evil/Eyes Of Fire/Lemora -type movies are out there that could still be left for me. I think y'all probably get what I mean. I might throw Let's Scare Jessica To Death in there too as a lesser one of these. Anybody got any thoughts or recommendations?
I tried Alucarda a few years ago but it didn't quite take, might give that another shot, but there have to be some more of these things out there.
Jurajj Herz did three great horror adjacent films

Morgiana, The Cremator and Ferat Vampire.

The Cremator has its share of fans (but it really is probably more of a nihilistic character study). \Morgiana is a slow burn creeper and Ferat Vampire absolute needs to be seen by more people here. It's Czechoslovakian Cronenberg.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri May 22, 2020 6:29 am

Death Dream
Frightmare
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady » Fri May 22, 2020 6:39 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:27 am

The Cremator has its share of fans (but it really is probably more of a nihilistic character study). \Morgiana is a slow burn creeper and Ferat Vampire absolute needs to be seen by more people here. It's Czechoslovakian Cronenberg.
I love The Cremator but haven't seen the other two, will get on it. While we're on Czech New Wave horror-adjacent stuff, have you seen Valerie and Her Week of Wonders?
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri May 22, 2020 6:53 am

crumbsroom wrote:

Thank you! I will add these to the October pre-list.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri May 22, 2020 6:54 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:29 am
Death Dream
Frightmare
And actually, I've meant to see Frightmare for years but still have not.
I have seen Death Dream and you're right, it belongs in this conversation.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri May 22, 2020 6:57 am

MrCarmady wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:39 am
I love The Cremator but haven't seen the other two, will get on it. While we're on Czech New Wave horror-adjacent stuff, have you seen Valerie and Her Week of Wonders?
Yes. That for me is kind of the crown jewel our of these four. At least in terms of this off beat Czech non-horror
thing.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri May 22, 2020 2:29 pm

MrCarmady wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:39 am
While we're on Czech New Wave horror-adjacent stuff, have you seen Valerie and Her Week of Wonders?
I think that most folks in this thread have seen Valerie.

And the disappointment of Black Moon really drove home how that kind of film can walk a fine line between dreaminess and irritating nonsensicalness.
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady » Fri May 22, 2020 2:42 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:29 pm
I think that most folks in this thread have seen Valerie.

And the disappointment of Black Moon really drove home how that kind of film can walk a fine line between dreaminess and irritating nonsensicalness.
Do you mean the Louis Malle Black Moon? I remember there were a couple of fans of that film on this board years ago, and I was so disappointed when I watched it. He's really hit and miss for me in general. I'm far from a horror enthusiast so am more likely to have seen some of this horror-adjacent stuff.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri May 22, 2020 2:55 pm

MrCarmady wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:42 pm
Do you mean the Louis Malle Black Moon? I remember there were a couple of fans of that film on this board years ago, and I was so disappointed when I watched it. He's really hit and miss for me in general. I'm far from a horror enthusiast so am more likely to have seen some of this horror-adjacent stuff.
Yes, the 1975 one. (Tangentially, I really liked the 1934 Black Moon, despite some dubious racial politics).

The Malle Black Moon had a few *moments* and *images*, but I felt like they got repetitive and there was so little narrative (and zero character development) so it just felt like someone got a bunch of humans and animals to stage various sequences. There was no life to it.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Fri May 22, 2020 2:59 pm

I'm going to watch Black Moon somewhere in the coming days, but I'm preparing myself for the worst. I heard awful things...
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady » Fri May 22, 2020 2:59 pm

Yeah, the unicorn scene was the only highlight for me. Obviously off-topic for the thread but I also walked out of a screening of My Dinner with Andre after 15 minutes once, and yet in Slentert's thread, I just talked about two of his films being in my all-time favourites list.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri May 22, 2020 6:10 pm

Slentert wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:59 pm
I'm going to watch Black Moon somewhere in the coming days, but I'm preparing myself for the worst. I heard awful things...
It's not awful so much as it is frustratingly underdeveloped. And it feels like it uses the genre of "fantasy" to just do whatever it wants.

Now, if everything on screen was breathtaking and funny and unexpected, that would be one thing. But I feel like it treads water for like a solid 40 minutes of runtime. It begins to feel redundant and meandering.

I'm not mad that I watched it. I didn't hate it. But it was a big old "eh" aside from a handful of scenes. And, like I said earlier, it just pales in comparison to Valerie and how that film managed to have multiple themes and still exist inside an unexpected and slightly ominous fantasy world.
Charles

Post by Charles » Fri May 22, 2020 7:00 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:54 am
I just watched it. It's a by-the-numbers movie that features stock characters. Deep Rising is probably a better pick. And, despite that I'm not usually the kind of people to drool over actresses, you might want to pick it up for that grey shirt the lady was wearing, however. That's one for the books.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri May 22, 2020 7:40 pm

Charles wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:00 pm
you might want to pick it up for that grey shirt the lady was wearing, however.
I assume this is a generalized "you".
Charles

Post by Charles » Fri May 22, 2020 7:52 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:40 pm
I assume this is a generalized "you".
It was quite a shirt.

Honestly though, only the creature was interesting and you see it less than you would in a 50's B-movie. Then it's an underwhelming, not-really-tense cabin fever movie, but they say sea-fever instead, except everyone knows there's something from pretty early on. It's like The Thing if everyone was always on the same page, but there was a bit of yelling to show that people disagree.

Edit: Link to the review?
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sat May 23, 2020 3:04 am

**NEW FAVORITE MOVIE ALERT**

It's always a great day when I get to watch an oldie I haven't seen before, even better when it's as bonkers as this one. The premise is that Lionel Atwill, big game hunter, is a jealous husband who murders his wife's admirers via animal. Snake bites, alligator pits, etc. You know you're in Pre-Code territory when the film OPENS with a scene of Atwill sewing a man's mouth shut in the middle of a jungle.
Image Image
I mean, holy crap! I've since learned that the film was banned in England for many years because of that shot.

There's also a mid-movie murder that completely blindsided me and further proved that this movie is not playing around. And yet, it IS playing around somewhat, thanks to the presence of comedy star Charlie Ruggles who plays a major role. He's a funny guy (he's the big game hunter in Bringing Up Baby), but here his scenes are such a sharp contrast to the gruesome goings-on elsewhere that a viewer could get whiplash from the tonal shifts. Regular viewers of 30s horror will be accustomed to this sort of thing however, so it's not a deal breaker.

Also here is Kathleen Burke who played the Panther Woman in Island of Lost Souls. This is only the second of her films I've seen and it's a bit disconcerting to see her as a sophisticated American lady. I confess I low-key kind of believed that she was really part panther all these years. Pretty cool to see someone with such an exotic look getting to play a romantic lead instead of the weird jungle girl for a change.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat May 23, 2020 3:10 am

crumbsroom wrote:
He also made the excellent and unconventional verison of Beauty and the Beast, Panna a Netvor

Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat May 23, 2020 3:12 am

I love Malle and liked Black Moon.

Takoma should probably skip Murmur of the Heart though.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat May 23, 2020 10:00 am

So somehow, when I binged the Slumber Party Massacre films (along with the Sorority House Massacre films, in which the second shows clips from Slumber Party Massacre, creating delirious confusion), I had only watched the trailer for Slumber Party Massacre 2. I was aware of rocker dude with guitar drill so I thought I’d seen it but upon an impulsive and intended rewatch, I watched it for the first time.

It’s a masterpiece of schlock. Quasi-Lynchian, Caligari-esque take on the slasher genre with a Billy Idol wanna be slasher. It’s deliriously insane and ill-advised but I feel like it’s the film the director (a woman! Just like the first! Fascinating!) wanted to make.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Sat May 23, 2020 10:42 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:12 am
I love Malle and liked Black Moon.

Takoma should probably skip Murmur of the Heart though.
I love Murmur of the Heart but yeah, that story is messed up.
Rock

Post by Rock » Sat May 23, 2020 2:32 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:00 am
So somehow, when I binged the Slumber Party Massacre films (along with the Sorority House Massacre films, in which the second shows clips from Slumber Party Massacre, creating delirious confusion), I had only watched the trailer for Slumber Party Massacre 2. I was aware of rocker dude with guitar drill so I thought I’d seen it but upon an impulsive and intended rewatch, I watched it for the first time.

It’s a masterpiece of schlock. Quasi-Lynchian, Caligari-esque take on the slasher genre with a Billy Idol wanna be slasher. It’s deliriously insane and ill-advised but I feel like it’s the film the director (a woman! Just like the first! Fascinating!) wanted to make.
One of us! One of us!
____
Blog!
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sat May 23, 2020 3:03 pm

Torgo

Post by Torgo » Sat May 23, 2020 7:11 pm

That. Looks. Incredible.
Last Great Movie Seen
Dragonslayer (Robbins, 1981)
Rock

Post by Rock » Sat May 23, 2020 7:37 pm

Don't listen to Captain Terror. He just can't get no...satisfaction!
____
Blog!
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun May 24, 2020 4:30 am

Watching Ticks (1993) and realizing I always enjoy, without fail, that cheap effect where you tell me a little critter is scurrying around by shuffling the camera across the ground to fake its POV. Always. A silly smile every time. 10/10 filmmaking.
NOTE: