Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Discuss anything you want.
Popcorn Reviews

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:09 pm

Just saw Burial Ground. Yep, really good.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:15 pm

Sugar Hill is probably the best blaxploitation voodoo zombie film around. Just watched it last night on Shudder. Fun stuff.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:12 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:15 pm
Sugar Hill is probably the best blaxploitation voodoo zombie film around. Just watched it last night on Shudder. Fun stuff.
Had to caption that once! More fun than I expected.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:49 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:37 pm
It is shocking how generally hated this movie is.
No, you're right, I think I even bought it on DVD based on the awesome cover/poster but never watched it because any critique of it I read just rained shit on it, how awful it was, blah blah.
Totally wrong. It's a movie that punches WAY above its weight.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:53 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:42 pm
Haven't seen it but the poster is terrible/awesome.

Exactly.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:54 pm

Rock wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:15 pm
It's great Mother's Day viewing...
Ha!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:31 am

DaMU wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:12 pm
Had to caption that once! More fun than I expected.
AIP is the studio Asylum could be if they weren't the most cynical, unimaginative, garbage indie studio on the planet.

Watching Blacula, Scream Blacula Scream and Sugar Hill more or less back to back has reinforced my appreciation for AIP. There's no reason for these films to have such imaginative visuals, strong performances and interesting ideas given their budgets and clearly cynical origins (I wanna do Dracula but black!) but AIP and Arkoff seemed to know to trust the talent they hired and let them TRY.

Plus, the zombies in this have weird shiny eyes and I just want a lot more of that in my life.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:49 am

Yes Sugar Hill is a keeper.

Now you just need to track down Abby lol
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:37 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:49 am
Yes Sugar Hill is a keeper.

Now you just need to track down Abby lol
That the Exorcist rip off? It's got my attention.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:48 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:37 am
That the Exorcist rip off? It's got my attention.
Ya, it's pretty junky, but has its moments
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:04 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:48 am
Ya, it's pretty junky, but has its moments
Sounds like my kinda movie!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:41 am

I read somewhere that Jennifer's Body was actually not bad and kinda got a bad rap. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Also I read somewhere that Urban Legend wasn't bad either. I saw it in the theater and I just remember having a problem with the killer and I do still remember who it is, but if someone told me the movie was worth my time I would watch it again.

I'm really up for a horror-movie tonight but I'm not in the mood for anything that could be a downer.
Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:13 am

Wooley wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:41 am
I read somewhere that Jennifer's Body was actually not bad and kinda got a bad rap. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
I can confirm that. It's pretty different from what I've seen of the way it was marketed as well.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:18 am

Wooley wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:41 am

Also I read somewhere that Urban Legend wasn't bad either. I saw it in the theater and I just remember having a problem with the killer and I do still remember who it is, but if someone told me the movie was worth my time I would watch it again.

I'm really up for a horror-movie tonight but I'm not in the mood for anything that could be a downer.
Jennifer’s Body is neither as bad as it’s original assessment nor as good as its reassessment. I give it a big ol’ “this is fine and enjoyable but ends sloppily and lazily.”

I loved Urban Legend and its first sequel as a kid and haven’t rewatched them in forever. I’m very curious how they’d hold up. Recently rewatched I Know What You Did Last Summer and I’d give it the ol’ “same as Jennifer’s body’s assessment.”
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:32 am

I thought Death Spa and Killer Workout were the same movie under different titles. What a fool I've been!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:40 am

Holy shit, Ghostkeeper is dull. Really, almost impossibly dull. I think they tried to build some menace and suspense with music and really vague allusions and the notion that there's something in the house. But nothing happens beyond setup for the first 40 minutes and then not much else happens for a while and what's supposed to be scary, I guess, isn't and the whole movie takes this weird turn that doesn't feel earned at all.
I'd have to say you're wasting your time if you even take a random, rainy-day flyer on it.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:34 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:40 am
Holy shit, Ghostkeeper is dull. Really, almost impossibly dull. I think they tried to build some menace and suspense with music and really vague allusions and the notion that there's something in the house. But nothing happens beyond setup for the first 40 minutes and then not much else happens for a while and what's supposed to be scary, I guess, isn't and the whole movie takes this weird turn that doesn't feel earned at all.
I'd have to say you're wasting your time if you even take a random, rainy-day flyer on it.
This sounds like a challenge to me. Or at least it did when I woke up at 4 in the morning and couldn't fall back asleep and needed something to watch.

Within ten minutes I was back to sleeping. Challenge will be ear marked for another day it seems.
topherH

Post by topherH » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:38 am

Creepshow was quite a bit of fun. I seem to remember watching bits of this on TV when I was very young. Funny to see all the certain actors (Ted Danson, Ed Harris, Hal Halbrook, evil Leslie Neilsen, plus others).
State of Siege |Gavras, 1972| +
Deadpool |Miller, 2016| +
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:51 pm

The Blob takes place in Arborville, California, the most American American small town in, well, America. It has a diner the chief of police frequents, a lover's lane, a movie theater that shows late night creature features, a leather jacket-clad rebel and everything in it shuts down during high school football games. The place becomes much different, however, when an object from space lands on its outskirts and unleashes a pink slime that absorbs everything it touches. I like how the movie simultaneously makes fun of and celebrates not only classic monster flicks like its 1958 predecessor, but also the aforementioned American traditions. There's more love than spite in its heart, though, especially since the titular menace comes to represent everything that would take those traditions away. Like I said, the movie is ultimately a love letter to its genre, so you should not go in expecting the most unpredictable horror movie you've ever seen. While I was surprised by who the blob killed and who it spared and was both repulsed and impressed by the creature effects, more of my guesses as to what would happen next were right than wrong. Even so, it amounts to a very funny and entertaining member of the '50s throwback subgenre that emerged in the '80s that includes Night of the Creeps and Killer Klowns from Outer Space. If there's a more fun way to spend an afternoon than watching all three, I'd like to hear it.
Last Great Movie Seen
13th (DuVernay, 2016)
Rock

Post by Rock » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:22 pm

I don't know if it's an unpopular opinion, but I like the '80s Blob remake a lot better than the original. It uses its gore effects really well and has a sense of threat that's simply not present in the original.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Charles

Post by Charles » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:30 pm

The Blob in the 80's version is miles better, the original being often an image, but I do appreciate how much the 50's Blob movie looks exactly like you would expect it to look.
Rock

Post by Rock » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:45 pm

Yeah, it's a good looking movie for sure and I do like the blob effects. I just wish it was even remotely tense.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:10 pm

I was a bit harsh on the 80's Blob when I originally saw it, but even though I still have my issues with it like how it uses the annoying "Out of everywhere the monster could go throughout the environment, it happens to coincidentally stumble across one of the main characters" trope which has always bugged me in horror/monster films, I still think it's a pretty solid film. Great effects and some genuine great scares and surprising kills.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:14 pm

The Blob was also part of a series of remakes of sci-fi/horror films from the 50's which are often thought of as being better than their originals. There's Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978), The Thing (1982), The Fly (1986), and this one (I haven't seen a few of the original films though, so I can't speak to which of those are better; I do prefer the 50's Body Snatcher though).
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:32 pm

I like both Blobs. The 80s one is surprisingly violent.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:51 am

Torgo wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:51 pm
The Blob takes place in Arborville, California, the most American American small town in, well, America. It has a diner the chief of police frequents, a lover's lane, a movie theater that shows late night creature features, a leather jacket-clad rebel and everything in it shuts down during high school football games. The place becomes much different, however, when an object from space lands on its outskirts and unleashes a pink slime that absorbs everything it touches. I like how the movie simultaneously makes fun of and celebrates not only classic monster flicks like its 1958 predecessor, but also the aforementioned American traditions. There's more love than spite in its heart, though, especially since the titular menace comes to represent everything that would take those traditions away. Like I said, the movie is ultimately a love letter to its genre, so you should not go in expecting the most unpredictable horror movie you've ever seen. While I was surprised by who the blob killed and who it spared and was both repulsed and impressed by the creature effects, more of my guesses as to what would happen next were right than wrong. Even so, it amounts to a very funny and entertaining member of the '50s throwback subgenre that emerged in the '80s that includes Night of the Creeps and Killer Klowns from Outer Space. If there's a more fun way to spend an afternoon than watching all three, I'd like to hear it.
Really, really so much better than I expected or than I think people think. The movie especially wins by making you like the characters and then, as you say, being pretty surprising about which of them it's willing to knock off, giving the movie a poignancy I did not expect. Also on the nose, your comment about the creature effects which are, well, effective.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:53 am

Rock wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:22 pm
I don't know if it's an unpopular opinion, but I like the '80s Blob remake a lot better than the original. It uses its gore effects really well and has a sense of threat that's simply not present in the original.
I like them both. I really enjoy the 50s, small-town, American Innocence vibe of the first one, not to mention Steve McQueen. But I really liked the remake a lot too.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:42 pm

paging MKS: Have you seen Blood Machines on Shudder? You might be into it, I had mixed feelings.

paging Wooley: Looks like Beastmaster was recently added to Amazon Prime. :up:
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:29 pm

Wooley wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:51 am
Really, really so much better than I expected or than I think people think. The movie especially wins by making you like the characters and then, as you say, being pretty surprising about which of them it's willing to knock off, giving the movie a poignancy I did not expect. Also on the nose, your comment about the creature effects which are, well, effective.
The effects reminded me a lot of Rob Bottin's in The Thing. I'm surprised he was't responsible for them. He probably had an influence on them, if anything.
As for Kevin Dillon's wig, the less said, the better. Then again, more natural-looking long hair wouldn't have been as funny.
Last Great Movie Seen
13th (DuVernay, 2016)
topherH

Post by topherH » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:26 pm

I prefer my Blob seasoned with 80's.

The McQueen version is quite bad, and not in a good way.
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +

+ Recommended
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:31 pm

Rock wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:45 pm
Yeah, it's a good looking movie for sure and I do like the blob effects. I just wish it was even remotely tense.
Same. It's fine but didn't do much for me. Better than the original, but I think the original is pretty lame.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Rock

Post by Rock » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:14 pm

DaMU wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:31 pm
Same. It's fine but didn't do much for me. Better than the original, but I think the original is pretty lame.
I was referring to the original as not being tense (sorry, realized how vague my post was). Remake is cool, original drools.
____
Blog!
Charles

Post by Charles » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:22 pm

While we're on the topic, what's people's opinions on 50's vs 2000s War of the Worlds? I'm not a giant fan of the 50s, I think it meanders too much at some point, but I know people didn't care much for the kids on Cruise's version, which I didn't mind. It's also a bit of a shame that they couldn't actually get tripods back then. I'm team 2k meself.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:25 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:42 pm
paging MKS: Have you seen Blood Machines on Shudder? You might be into it, I had mixed feelings.

paging Wooley: Looks like Beastmaster was recently added to Amazon Prime. :up:
I have not. My friend started it and said it felt like someone's demo reel got leaked so I put it on the back burner for now.

I also need to rewatch Beastmaster. Haven't seen it since childhood but used to be a big fan.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:42 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:25 pm
My friend started it and said it felt like someone's demo reel got leaked
Precisely. I thought you might be into the visual aspect of it, but it's pretty empty.
It appears to me that they artificially distressed the film, and combined with the overly-80s synth score and the naked ladies everywhere it just seemed a bit too try-hard for me. And then it's separated into 3 chapters for no discernible reason and the "opening credits" don't show up until 5 minutes into part 2. Edgy!
No cheesier than a segment of Heavy Metal, I guess, but something about it all got on my nerves. It does look pretty though, I'll give it that.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:59 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:42 pm

It appears to me that they artificially distressed the film, and combined with the overly-80s synth score and the naked ladies everywhere
Fine, I'll watch it.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:14 pm

Rock wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:14 pm
I was referring to the original as not being tense (sorry, realized how vague my post was). Remake is cool, original drools.
Well, I guess I'll go back to being alone.
I don't like the '50s one, I just think the '80s one is a mild upgrade from "dull" to "not bad."
NOTE:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:19 pm

80's Blob is one of the best 80's horror films and if it had a stronger 3rd act, would be on par with the Thing and the Fly, the only contemporary horror remakes that outclass it.

The 50's one is fine. Charming but I wouldn't place it on par with contemporaries like the Fly. It's probably on par with The Thing From Another World and certainly has a better monster than carrot Frankenstein.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:21 pm

modern Thing > old Thing
modern Fly < old Fly
modern Body Snatchers > old Body Snatchers
modern Blob ? old Blob
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:25 pm

Only seen Body Snatchers for both but I prefer Siegel's version quite a bit. I think the remake is wonderfully done but I don't think it adds much to the atmosphere of paranoia, although I agree the 50s version is a bit spoiled by the ending.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:29 pm

Heh. "Modern"
topherH

Post by topherH » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:45 pm

X-Men: Arcade game Blob > other Blobs
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +

+ Recommended
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:24 pm

Charles wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:22 pm
While we're on the topic, what's people's opinions on 50's vs 2000s War of the Worlds? I'm not a giant fan of the 50s, I think it meanders too much at some point, but I know people didn't care much for the kids on Cruise's version, which I didn't mind. It's also a bit of a shame that they couldn't actually get tripods back then. I'm team 2k meself.
I prefer the '53 version. Besides being scarier, it doesn't have anything as bad as that momentum-halting basement scene with Tim Robbins and
Justin Chatwin coming back from the dead.
Last Great Movie Seen
13th (DuVernay, 2016)
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:25 pm

X-Men Origins: Wolverine Blob...uh, we don't talk about that movie. Carry on.
Last Great Movie Seen
13th (DuVernay, 2016)
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:32 pm

Charles wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:22 pm
I really like the original, I really dislike the remake
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:39 pm

Love Spielberg's film. Need to see the 50's version
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:41 pm

Love the 50's film. Haven't seen the remake but want to.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:59 pm

In a shocking twist, I prefer the George Pal version. The initial attack in Spielberg's version is awesome. Everything that follows is a turd.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:00 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:59 pm
In a shocking twist, I prefer the George Pal version. The initial attack in Spielberg's version is awesome. Everything that follows is a turd.
It at the very least also has the Ferry sequence going for it.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:07 pm

The Fly > The Fly

The Blob > The Blob

Cat People > Cat People

War of the Worlds > War of the Worlds

I think we can all agree.
NOTE: