Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:13 pm

DaMU wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:07 pm
The Fly > The Fly

The Blob > The Blob

Cat People > Cat People

War of the Worlds > War of the Worlds

I think we can all agree.
There are a few = signs missing there, pal. I think you're looking for a fight!
Popcorn Reviews

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:15 pm

DaMU wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:07 pm
The Fly > The Fly

The Blob > The Blob

Cat People > Cat People

War of the Worlds > War of the Worlds

I think we can all agree.
But what if somebody likes some of those films equally?
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:16 pm

Damn it, MKS. You beat me to that joke.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:16 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:16 pm
Damn it, MKS. You beat me to that joke.
It's okay. You take the left and I take the right. He can't fight a pincer tactic.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:21 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
It's okay. You take the left and I take the right. He can't fight a pincer tactic.
Okay, but I may end up betraying your trust so be prepared for that.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:25 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
He can't fight
ftfy
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:53 pm

DaMU wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:25 pm
ftfy
If your desire was to self own so fully you harmed your opponent...

SUCCESS!
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:03 am

Halloween, The Crazies and Fright Night also deserves comparison while we're at it.
Last Great Movie Seen
Slow West (Maclean, 2015)
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:12 am

Torgo wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:03 am
Halloween, The Crazies and Fright Night also deserves comparison while we're at it.
All of those are clearly inferior to the original. I'll toss Hills Have Eyed on that pile.

Also spoiler, I like all those remakes too!

Piranha is a modern remake superior to the original.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:26 am

Torgo wrote:
The Halloween remake is dreadful. Fright Night is acceptable but leagues less than the original. Never saw the Crazies remake but the original isn't so great anyways.

I don't mind the Hills Have Eyes remake, but I'm a real fan of the original, so no comparison really.
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:25 am

Charles wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:22 pm
While we're on the topic, what's people's opinions on 50's vs 2000s War of the Worlds? I'm not a giant fan of the 50s, I think it meanders too much at some point, but I know people didn't care much for the kids on Cruise's version, which I didn't mind. It's also a bit of a shame that they couldn't actually get tripods back then. I'm team 2k meself.
I mostly like the 2000s version. Surprisingly downbeat for Spielberg but with his usual sure hand with set pieces. Cruise is compellingly vulnerable. I wish it had more of an arc and ended less abruptly.

Haven't seen the older film.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:26 am

Rob Zombie's Halloween is terrible. His Halloween II however is pretty good.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:49 am

Rock wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:26 am
Rob Zombie's Halloween is terrible. His Halloween II however is pretty good.
It's an ambitious failure. I like it despite that because H2 rocks.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:01 am

And let's not forget Gus Van Sant's Psycho.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Charles

Post by Charles » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:08 am

I was thinking of watching GVS Psycho soon. I tried once, but man, Vince Vaughn.
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:41 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:49 am
I like that Zombie brings his own ideas to the material. I just think they're all bad ideas and find the movie really unpleasant to sit through (and not in a good way, either).
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:01 am

Rock wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:41 am
I like that Zombie brings his own ideas to the material. I just think they're all bad ideas and find the movie really unpleasant to sit through (and not in a good way, either).
I don't disagree. Well, I'd say they're mostly bad ideas. Sometimes Tyler Mane works well as a gargantuan, imposing Michael and I appreciate the brutality he brings to the role. Had he gone full H2 from the getgo and filmed it from his subjective perspective, it would probably also be good. I think H2 retroactively makes the first watchable.
topherH

Post by topherH » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:26 pm

Halloween III > other Halloween's
State of Siege |Gavras, 1972| +
Deadpool |Miller, 2016| +
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:22 pm

Charles wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:22 pm
While we're on the topic, what's people's opinions on 50's vs 2000s War of the Worlds? I'm not a giant fan of the 50s, I think it meanders too much at some point, but I know people didn't care much for the kids on Cruise's version, which I didn't mind. It's also a bit of a shame that they couldn't actually get tripods back then. I'm team 2k meself.
I thought the 2000s one was a complete disaster, nearly walked out of the theater, after that stupid fucking voice-over ending, I wished I had. Spielberg at his worst.
Grew upon the 50s one so I can't really judge it fairly as an adult.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:27 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:25 pm
I have not. My friend started it and said it felt like someone's demo reel got leaked so I put it on the back burner for now.

I also need to rewatch Beastmaster. Haven't seen it since childhood but used to be a big fan.
Beastmaster is amazing.
Specifically, it is amazing because you can actually see in many scenes just how much mileage Coscarelli was able to get out of a meager budget. There's a forced-perspective shot to create the illusion of a town that, while noticeable, I find more noticeable for the guerrilla work done to make this movie that is really brimming with imagination come off with so little money. The Jun Horde, freaky bat-people, raging S&M guards, witchcraft and magic, a big black tiger, John Amos... I mean, this movie really packs in a lot of awesome and demonstrates why lower-budget filmmaking is sometimes better.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:29 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:21 pm
modern Thing > old Thing
modern Fly < old Fly
modern Body Snatchers > old Body Snatchers
modern Blob ? old Blob
I think I agree with this, exactly.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:30 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:59 pm
In a shocking twist, I prefer the George Pal version. The initial attack in Spielberg's version is awesome. Everything that follows is a turd.
Yes.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:34 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:36 pm

Torgo wrote:
Halloween '78 >>>> any other Halloween
Fright Night '85 >>> other Fright Night

(didn't see the newer Crazies)
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:37 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:49 am
:up:
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:06 pm

Wooley wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:22 pm
I thought the 2000s one was a complete disaster, nearly walked out of the theater, after that stupid fucking voice-over ending, I wished I had. Spielberg at his worst.
Grew upon the 50s one so I can't really judge it fairly as an adult.
I'm sure there is a candidate, but I'm trying to think of a Spielberg film that I've liked less.

EDIT: Ah, The Terminal. That one has to be bringing up the rear.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:12 pm

I didn't give Zombies first Halloween much weight while I was watching it, it lost me pretty early one. But was it really even an ambitious failure? As far as I could see, adding grindhouse era sadism into the character of Michael Myers is lazy. As was the attempts at back story, explaining his deviancy with the most cliched and convenient reasons. I think I was more irritated by all of this phoned in attempts at fleshing out the Myers mythology, than it's actual ill advised failures as a film. It seemed like a complete waste of time, and next to the remake of F13, one of the very worst of this glut of pointless remakes.

The sequel is a huge improvement. I might even call myself a hesitant fan, even though Zombies rampant juvenile approach to dialogue wears mighty thin mighty quickly. But, even though I thought it was pretty decent, it sure didn't seem to offer any greater insight into the slog that was the first one.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:58 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:12 pm
I didn't give Zombies first Halloween much weight while I was watching it, it lost me pretty early one. But was it really even an ambitious failure? As far as I could see, adding grindhouse era sadism into the character of Michael Myers is lazy. As was the attempts at back story, explaining his deviancy with the most cliched and convenient reasons. I think I was more irritated by all of this phoned in attempts at fleshing out the Myers mythology, than it's actual ill advised failures as a film. It seemed like a complete waste of time, and next to the remake of F13, one of the very worst of this glut of pointless remakes.

The sequel is a huge improvement. I might even call myself a hesitant fan, even though Zombies rampant juvenile approach to dialogue wears mighty thin mighty quickly. But, even though I thought it was pretty decent, it sure didn't seem to offer any greater insight into the slog that was the first one.
I would say it is.
He had a vision and he went for it, sink or swim. Turns out it sunk. The second and third acts fare better than the misguided first, but ultimately I just think Zombie somehow missed what made Carpenter's Halloween special. I agree the second was much better, if still flawed (in some places, badly), I used to champion it all the time.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:01 pm

Abandoning my flip, very cool devil-may-care humor to say that The Fly (1986) is one of the all-time horror films while the original is a good for its day potboiler and not much more. That's my real opinion, and now I'll go back to saying clever and silly things.
NOTE:
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:07 pm

DaMU wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:01 pm
Abandoning my flip, very cool devil-may-care humor to say that The Fly (1986) is one of the all-time horror films while the original is a good for its day potboiler and not much more. That's my real opinion, and now I'll go back to saying clever and silly things.
It's not a difficult position to take up. And I don't come by my preference lightly. But there is this ever present tingling of distress and dread running just underneath the seemingly silly trappings of the original, that it left a deeper impression on me, even if lots of good arguments could be made how Cronenberg's is technically better. I found the fate of this particular Fly much harder to shake, hiding in the shadows with his stupid bug head, regardless of Goldblum's detailed on screen deterioration in the remake. It works in hard to pinpoint ways on me, and the more I struggle to explain why something works, the more like magic it seems. And I always prefer magic.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:52 pm

DaMU wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:01 pm
I understand where you're coming from, I like Cronenberg's film more than I'd remembered when I last viewed it, but I still consider it just a really good contemporary take on its predecessor. I'd watch it any time and I love how Cronenberg understood exactly what was so horrifying about the original, much of which was unspoken in that film.
But, putting myself back in that time when I watch The Fly, I think of it as being a really shocking, grim, grisly thing that somehow is still pretty fun to watch.
I mean, one thing I like better about the original than the remake is how tragic it is. How painful his internal struggle with becoming this monster is, how it effects the people who love him, and how tragic the ending is. I appreciate Cronenberg kinda subverting that with his take of it making Brundle become aggressive and even homicidal, but it takes a lot of the pathos out of it. It's pretty hard to feel sorry for him by the end, you just feel sorry for Ronnie. I like both, but certainly that part of the movie I strongly side with the original.
And the monster design in the original is really awesome. Would like to have gotten a bit more of that in the remake.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:36 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:06 pm
I'm sure there is a candidate, but I'm trying to think of a Spielberg film that I've liked less.

EDIT: Ah, The Terminal. That one has to be bringing up the rear.
There's no way WotW is worse than Always, the BFG or Ready Player One.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:47 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:36 pm
I've never watched the last two, and I haven't seen Always since it came out. But, true, my 13 year old brain hated that. And would likely only hate it more. But I barely count myself as watching it since it was so long ago.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:47 pm

"Kick the Can" from The Twilight Zone is, to me, still the absolute bottom of Spielberg. His worst instincts purified, freed of any context to dilute the utterly shameless, paternalistic sentiment. Condescending in how little it respects the viewer. An absolute shitshow.

War of the Worlds has some bad moments and deflates as it goes, but it's got a good Cruise performance as a truly crappy father, some incredible individual sequences, and a bit of the darkhearted Spielberg that added some surprising perversity and cruelty to Temple of Doom and The Lost World. Watching a woman bamf into dust, and that death-dust immediately coating a terrified Cruise, and then him later shaking off her remains in a panic.
NOTE:
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:50 pm

DaMU wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:47 pm
"Kick the Can" from The Twilight Zone is, to me, still the absolute bottom of Spielberg. His worst instincts purified, freed of any context to dilute the utterly shameless, paternalistic sentiment. Condescending in how little it respects the viewer. An absolute shitshow.

War of the Worlds has some bad moments and deflates as it goes, but it's got a good Cruise performance as a truly crappy father, some incredible individual sequences, and a bit of the darkhearted Spielberg that added some surprising perversity and cruelty to Temple of Doom and The Lost World. Watching a woman bamf into dust, and that death-dust immediately coating a terrified Cruise, and then him later shaking off her remains in a panic.
I forgot about Kick the Can. I would fastforward through it when I was a kid so it hardly registered. I always just assumed I hated it because I was a kid and couldn't relate to abunch of old people running around a lawn. Which, frankly is probably a pretty good reason to hate it

The opening to War of the Worlds was fantastic. I had hopes. And then the rest of the movie happened.
Charles

Post by Charles » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:57 pm

Kick the Can is bad, the worst of an underwhelming movie.

On the WotW topic, here's a Lindsay Ellis video on it and Independence Day and how movies changed after 9/11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KioF1sTQFtE

In case anyone hasn't seen it, dunno how youtubey y'all are.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:17 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:50 pm
I forgot about Kick the Can. I would fastforward through it when I was a kid so it hardly registered. I always just assumed I hated it because I was a kid and couldn't relate to abunch of old people running around a lawn. Which, frankly is probably a pretty good reason to hate it

The opening to War of the Worlds was fantastic. I had hopes. And then the rest of the movie happened.
I also loved the train on fire and the sustained ferry sequence, but the rest of the movie... well, like you say, it happened. It certainly was a thing that occurred.
NOTE:
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:20 pm

NOTE:
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:23 pm

Did anyone give the 2019 BBC miniseries a shot?

Rafe Spall + production value + period setting - mixed critical reaction = maybe okay?

If they don't have the Thunder Child, it's yet another missed opportunity to have the Thunder Child.
NOTE:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:24 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
I've never watched the last two, and I haven't seen Always since it came out. But, true, my 13 year old brain hated that. And would likely only hate it more. But I barely count myself as watching it since it was so long ago.
Always triggers that "how is everything going so wrong? Why is it all so damn weird?" part of my brain that only the most spectacular disasters made by talented filmmakers can do: Showgirls and Cats are comparable but they retain a so-bad-its-good vibe that Always lacks. It's oppressively cutesy, forces it's whimsy and emotion but is technically ambitious.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:12 pm

DaMU wrote:

I read a funny article a couple years ago pointing to all this evidence that Spielberg secretly hates Twilight Zone. I think it was from Cracked but it was entertaining to think about. And Kick the Can was a big point in it. :D
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:29 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:36 pm
I feel like I liked Always but I know I haven't seen it in almost 30 years. Ready Player One, on the other hand, is absolutely garbage of a far lower level than the merely bad War Of The Worlds.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:43 pm

Sadly, I've kind of tapped out on Spielberg for awhile now.i think that last film of his I liked was either Munich or Catch. I can't even remember what the last film of his I saw was. I tried Lincoln, but I recognized I wasn't in the mood for that at the time and turned it off within a few minutes
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:50 pm

Wooley wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:29 pm
I feel like I liked Always but I know I haven't seen it in almost 30 years. Ready Player One, on the other hand, is absolutely garbage of a far lower level than the merely bad War Of The Worlds.
While I wouldn't go so far as absolute garbage, I do think my letterboxd review actually captures the essence of what little works in the film and why:

https://boxd.it/v4v2z
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:55 pm

I've honestly liked most of late Spielberg, part of it is just accepting he's never gonna make something as elemental and raw as his early work ever again. I liked Tintin, Lincoln, Bridge of Spies, and The Post (Tintin being the best of them); they just feel more workmanlike than his hungry young man years.

Agreed with MKS and Wooley that Ready Player One is not good.
NOTE:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:07 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:43 pm
Sadly, I've kind of tapped out on Spielberg for awhile now.i think that last film of his I liked was either Munich or Catch. I can't even remember what the last film of his I saw was. I tried Lincoln, but I recognized I wasn't in the mood for that at the time and turned it off within a few minutes
I think the Post, Bridge of Spies, Lincoln, War Horse and Tin Tin are all good to great.
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:27 pm

Ready Player One isn't great but at least it's better than the book which literally has pages just full of stuff the author happens to like.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:57 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:07 pm
I think the Post, Bridge of Spies, Lincoln, War Horse and Tin Tin are all good to great.
Haven't seen any of these and I struggled to even remember the existence of a couple of them.

Im most likely to try Lincoln, because of Lewis, and Tintin because I'm not sure. The others all just look so...serviceable. I think DAMU said workmanlike, which is kinda my kryptonite.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:57 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:50 pm
While I wouldn't go so far as absolute garbage, I do think my letterboxd review actually captures the essence of what little works in the film and why:

https://boxd.it/v4v2z
That was your moment. I can't remember if mine was when the hero finds the villain's password on a sticky-note on his chair or someone escapes from their prison cell by pulling the escape-lever.