Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Discuss anything you want.
Wooley

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Wooley » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:58 pm

MrCarmady wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:27 pm
Ready Player One isn't great but at least it's better than the book which literally has pages just full of stuff the author happens to like.
I actually would say the book is at least 10x better than the film.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:10 pm

Wooley wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:58 pm
I actually would say the book is at least 10x better than the film.
I agree. I would say the book, while definitely a cringeworthy nostalgia fest, still works as a basic young adult story, where the central mystery is somewhat engaging and makes sense, leaving the exact right amount of clues for the readers so they have a chance to figure it out for themselves. The movie even fails at that.

I absolutely despise Ready Player One (2018), for me it's the perfect example of everything that's wrong with modern blockbusters. Filled with CGI ugliness, a cringey romance plot, flat characters, jokes that don't land, milking nostalgia to a point where it doesn't seem to understand anything about what made those originals appealing the first place, it's all just windowdressing...

Sorry for going off, but man, that movie sucks. I expect better from Spielberg.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:21 pm

The point of no return for me was the Kubrick episode. Bewildering. Honoring the legacy of a director/friend he truly admired by turning his evocative haunted house into a fucking stage from Luigi's Mansion.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:25 am

Maybe it's because I went into Ready Player One with no expectations, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm not going to deny that a lot of it is dumb as hell, but there's a real toy box creativity to the action sequences. Like The Lost World (which I'm also a fan of), I found this to be a case of his artistry and skill at turning out great set pieces elevating what could have been a fairly mercenary project.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:11 am

Rock wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:25 am
Maybe it's because I went into Ready Player One with no expectations, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm not going to deny that a lot of it is dumb as hell, but there's a real toy box creativity to the action sequences. Like The Lost World (which I'm also a fan of), I found this to be a case of his artistry and skill at turning out great set pieces elevating what could have been a fairly mercenary project.
I mostly feel the same. I did like it. It just gave me whiplash between enjoying a set piece then marvelling at how dumb and cynically nostalgic it was despite Spielberg's attempts to be sincere with it.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:26 am

Slentert wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:10 pm
I absolutely despise Ready Player One (2018), for me it's the perfect example of everything that's wrong with modern blockbusters. Filled with CGI ugliness, a cringey romance plot, flat characters, jokes that don't land, milking nostalgia to a point where it doesn't seem to understand anything about what made those originals appealing the first place, it's all just windowdressing...

Sorry for going off, but man, that movie sucks. I expect better from Spielberg.
We are of one mind on this. I thought it was the nadir of how low the modern blockbuster has sunk and how fitting that it should come from the man who invented the blockbuster.
Way worse than the worst Marvel movie, the king of the generation of artiste auteurs (some of who have been screaming to get those superheroes off their lawn) produces a movie worse than almost any of the modern tentpoles.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:07 pm

Been rewatching Blade 2 bit by bit before sleep the past few days, forgot about this good image that's always given me very strong I Am Legend vibes.

NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
topherH

Post by topherH » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:20 pm

I looked it up and I guess Argento's Suspiria isn't listed as giallo. Because if it was, it'd be damn fine giallo.
State of Siege |Gavras, 1972| +
Deadpool |Miller, 2016| +
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:29 pm

topherH wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:20 pm
I looked it up and I guess Argento's Suspiria isn't listed as giallo. Because if it was, it'd be damn fine giallo.
Well, it's less yellow, more red
topherH

Post by topherH » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:42 pm

The Nameless One wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:29 pm
Well, it's less yellow, more red
lots red
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +

+ Recommended
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:43 pm

I think gialli aren't supposed to have supernatural elements. Deep Red and Tenebre are giallo masterpieces, though.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:51 pm

What would we call Phenomenon? It seems to have Giallo elements but that one is VERY green and blue and black. Fuck I love that movie, it will always be my favorite Argento until I maybe watch Bird with the Crystal Plumage
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:57 pm

The Nameless One wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:51 pm
What would we call Phenomenon? It seems to have Giallo elements but that one is VERY green and blue and black. Fuck I love that movie, it will always be my favorite Argento until I maybe watch Bird with the Crystal Plumage
Phenomenon is a supernatural giallo. Suspiria is often put into this subgenre as well. Argento began playing with the limitations of the giallo and essentially subverted them and their convoluted mysteries via gothic and supernatural horror elements. In essence, he crafted his very own specific riff on the genres.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:12 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:57 pm
Phenomenon is a supernatural giallo. Suspiria is often put into this subgenre as well. Argento began playing with the limitations of the giallo and essentially subverted them and their convoluted mysteries via gothic and supernatural horror elements. In essence, he crafted his very own specific riff on the genres.
Awesome
topherH

Post by topherH » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:20 pm

If it's not too much to ask for I'd like to have Goblin playing at my funeral.

...and a fake dummy fall through the ceiling after the speech.
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +

+ Recommended
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:21 pm

topherH wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:20 pm
If it's not too much to ask for I'd like to have Goblin playing at my funeral.
Absolutely, what about Justice?
topherH

Post by topherH » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:22 pm

The Nameless One wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:21 pm
Absolutely, what about Justice?
Of course.
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +

+ Recommended
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:23 pm

another day you dodge the Kraken

Nice
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:10 pm

Nightmare City- A pretty dang groovy Italian zombie effect. The plot is flimsy, the gore is inconsistent and the performances are better left unmentioned but it’s got personality for days! It also had running zombies (though Lenzi argues they’re just “contaminated” and they do have some attributes more similar to vampires) that used weapons before Return of the Living Dead. There’s a frenzied kineticism to the film that’s simply infectious and entertaining. The ending is a bit of a shame but I’ll take the mad dash entertainment of what came before.

Hell of the Living Dead: A lot sloppier and more rote than Fulci’s Zombi and less bananas than Mattei’s own Zombi 3 but what saves this one is a fairly unique subtext about third world exploitation (almost metatextual given the use of real stock footage) and some genuinely shocking and ruthless gore sequences. If you dig Italian zombie flicks, you could do worse.
Rock

Post by Rock » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:15 pm

My favourite part of Nightmare City is when the one guy falls off the roller coaster and they show him falling all the way down. But yeah, fun, fast paced and pleasingly goofy. I actually don't mind the ending, mostly because it ties nicely into the overarching silliness of the affair.

I bailed on Hell of the Living Dead halfway and keep mentioning (most recently this week in crumbsroom's thread) that one day I'll finish it. Will this be the weekend I finally do it? All signs point to no.

Have you seen Zombie Holocaust? It's fucking terrible but you might get a kick out of it. There's a bit with a mannequin breaking apart and a pretty funny insult that still make me chuckle.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Charles

Post by Charles » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:21 pm

I didn't finish Hell of the Living Dead, I got bored to hell by all the stock footage spliced with reaction shots. I might finish it one day, I saw some of the gore in Corona Zombies, which no one should watch.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:28 pm

Rock wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:15 pm
My favourite part of Nightmare City is when the one guy falls off the roller coaster and they show him falling all the way down. But yeah, fun, fast paced and pleasingly goofy. I actually don't mind the ending, mostly because it ties nicely into the overarching silliness of the affair.

I bailed on Hell of the Living Dead halfway and keep mentioning (most recently this week in crumbsroom's thread) that one day I'll finish it. Will this be the weekend I finally do it? All signs point to no.

Have you seen Zombie Holocaust? It's fucking terrible but you might get a kick out of it. There's a bit with a mannequin breaking apart and a pretty funny insult that still make me chuckle.
Spoiler!
It wasn’t a guy! It was the main love interest which added some punch to it being quite shocking.
I think the back half is much more entertaining than the first half, which drags. Such is usually the case with Italian Zombie flicks, it seems.

I haven’t watched it in full. I’ve seen quite a bit from it in the form of Doctor Butcher though due to a BOTW episode. It’s definitely on my list. My friend that I watch bad movies with (now an online affair) and I will probably transition to Italian horror after we finish our nigh fruitless expedition INTO THE DARK (Hulu).

Right now, my Vinegar Syndrome of Forgotten Gialli has come in so I’m popping on Trauma (not Argento’s film) right now.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:36 pm

Nightmare City is lots of fun. Hell of the Living Dead is a mixed bag, mostly bad, but not as bad as its rep.

I've seen both versions of Zombie Holocaust and neither have ever made an impression on me. My feeling is it was probably boring and bad
topherH

Post by topherH » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:57 am

Tried out some Cronenberg this weekend.

The Fly is a pretty fun time, nice gross out and some jokes thrown in.

The Fly II turned out better than expected. Stoltz is almost as interesting as Goldblum in the DC movie. Don't misconstrue this, not a great movie but not a total dud either.

The Brood is on for later.
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +

+ Recommended
replican

Post by replican » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:43 am

There's a Fly II and Cronenberg directed it???

I don't know why it is but if you gonna do early body horror Cronenberg, it must be done in marathon fashion. I randomly watched a bunch of his early films years ago. Most of the stuff had me completely perplexed. I was intrigued by it but still...lots of thinking hmmmm to myself trying to figure out what Cronenberg was saying. I'm not into horror, like at all, but still found it worthwhile to watch his brand of it.

The Brood especially had me scratching my head. IIRC it has a lot to do with stuff Cronenberg was dealing with in his personal life. Kids and divorce stuff I believe.

Rabid was great.

The Dead Zone was haunting. And I don't get haunted, ever.
Rock

Post by Rock » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:00 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:36 pm
I've seen both versions of Zombie Holocaust and neither have ever made an impression on me. My feeling is it was probably boring and bad
It's not a good bad movie (it's very obviously a lazy and cynical effort), but some of its badness does merit a few laughs.
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:32 am

topherH wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:57 am
Tried out some Cronenberg this weekend.

The Fly is a pretty fun time, nice gross out and some jokes thrown in.

The Fly II turned out better than expected. Stoltz is almost as interesting as Goldblum in the DC movie. Don't misconstrue this, not a great movie but not a total dud either.

The Brood is on for later.
Make sure to check out Videodrome, Dead Ringers, Naked Lunch, A History of Violence and Eastern Promises to get a real sense of his overall body of work. One of my favorite filmmakers. I need to watch my copy of M. Butterfly to finish his career.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:40 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:32 am
Make sure to check out Videodrome, Dead Ringers, Naked Lunch, A History of Violence and Eastern Promises to get a real sense of his overall body of work. One of my favorite filmmakers. I need to watch my copy of M. Butterfly to finish his career.
You've seen Stereo?
topherH

Post by topherH » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:59 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Dead Ringers and Naked Lunch are the only ones I haven't seen of these yet. I was thinking of Eastern Promises this morning as I watched it when it came out but wasn't aware enough for that type of movie. HOV I enjoyed much when it came out.
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +

+ Recommended
topherH

Post by topherH » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:01 pm

replican wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:43 am
There's a Fly II and Cronenberg directed it???

I don't know why it is but if you gonna do early body horror Cronenberg, it must be done in marathon fashion. I randomly watched a bunch of his early films years ago. Most of the stuff had me completely perplexed. I was intrigued by it but still...lots of thinking hmmmm to myself trying to figure out what Cronenberg was saying. I'm not into horror, like at all, but still found it worthwhile to watch his brand of it.

The Brood especially had me scratching my head. IIRC it has a lot to do with stuff Cronenberg was dealing with in his personal life. Kids and divorce stuff I believe.

Rabid was great.

The Dead Zone was haunting. And I don't get haunted, ever.
No, I believe it was the guy who did the make-up effects for the first one. Dead Zone I keep forgetting was Cronenberg.
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +

+ Recommended
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:08 pm

I finally saw Color Out of Space, which is right up my alley given my love of Stuart Gordon's Lovecraft adaptations, but it left me cold. While it has the right location, the right look and feel, the right musical score and Nicolas Cage, the movie kept me at arm's length from start to finish, and I believe the direction is to blame. The movie seems to use the same wide-angle cinematography and to keep the same pace from start to finish, and as a result, I felt like it wanted me to admire its artistry rather than let it get under my skin. At times, it seemed like Tommy Chong's stoner character (God, how redundant it is to add that) was behind the camera. Also, I've probably been spoiled by seeing performers like Jeffrey Combs, Barbara Crampton and Natalie Portman in Annihilation - which this movie reminded me of - who are willing to cover themselves in goop in movies like this one, but I never felt like any of the actors were that much on board. Sure, Cage, does his trademark freakouts, but none of them seem authentic. In short, I stepped away from this movie in the same "oh, I get it" way that Homer Simpson did after confronting the "karma" guy at Hullabalooza. I'd much rather feel like I was covered in goop.
Last Great Movie Seen
13th (DuVernay, 2016)
Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:06 pm

I wish anyone was talking about the 2010 Color Out Of Space when they talk about that title. I feel like no one else saw it.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:21 pm

Charles wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:06 pm
I wish anyone was talking about the 2010 Color Out Of Space when they talk about that title. I feel like no one else saw it.
I had it in my queue but never pulled the trigger. Was it good?
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:54 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:40 pm
You've seen Stereo?
Yarp. And Crimes of the Future and Fast Company.
replican

Post by replican » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:59 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
I've seen every one of those except for Naked Lunch.

Are you a fan, MKS?

I love his works. They are never an easy watch. Watching his films produces a unique anxiety in me. Not the uncomfortable anxiety that I'm prone to wallow in, but just this feeling of urgency without being frenetic on the screen.

I haven't kept up with his latter works. He hasn't gotten great reviews of late. I need to see for myself. I think I've held off on doing so because I didn't want to be disappointed.

Is there a director out there that does a better job of 'capturing' masculinity?
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:00 pm

topherH wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:01 pm
No, I believe it was the guy who did the make-up effects for the first one. Dead Zone I keep forgetting was Cronenberg.
Fly 2 also has a script from Frank Darabont and Mick Garris.
topherH

Post by topherH » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:11 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:00 pm
Fly 2 also has a script from Frank Darabont and Mick Garris.
Yes, I seen this. Not too familiar with Garris but the movie felt like Darabont was involved.
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +

+ Recommended
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:17 pm

Cronenberg is great. Even when I don't think his story is all there, his direction (the camera, the cutting, the blocking) is so muscular and confident and expertly paced. He knows exactly how to make his movies. I still have a lot to see of his work, but even so, his three-film run of The Dead Zone / The Fly / Dead Ringers is god-tier. What I've seen:

The Fly
Dead Ringers
The Dead Zone
A History of Violence
Eastern Promises
The Brood
Existenz
Spider
Videodrome
Scanners
Rabid
NOTE:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:29 pm

replican wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:59 pm
I've seen every one of those except for Naked Lunch.

Are you a fan, MKS?

I love his works. They are never an easy watch. Watching his films produces a unique anxiety in me. Not the uncomfortable anxiety that I'm prone to wallow in, but just this feeling of urgency without being frenetic on the screen.

I haven't kept up with his latter works. He hasn't gotten great reviews of late. I need to see for myself. I think I've held off on doing so because I didn't want to be disappointed.

Is there a director out there that does a better job of 'capturing' masculinity?
I’m about as big of a fan of Naked Lunch as one can be without reading the source novel (not entirely necessary as it’s really a biopic through the lens of the novel but I know I’m missing things).

I love his latest era of work too. They’ve embraced the more psycho-sexual, post-modernity of movies his movies like Crash and Spider. Outside of a distractingly bad effect towards the end, I thought Maps to the Stars was flat out great, with one of my favorite performances from Moore. He’s also the director that made me start taking Pattinson seriously (Cosmopolis is also fantastic).
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:29 pm

topherH wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:11 pm
Yes, I seen this. Not too familiar with Garris but the movie felt like Darabont was involved.
Garris is a peculiar case. He's a genuinely huge fan of sf/fantasy/horror who got started by basically creating the modern behind-the-scenes supplement in the late '70s, early '80s and leveraging that access to do interviews with big-name genre directors. And then leveraged that to start writing for TV and film and eventually directing (most well-known for Stephen King mini-series adaptations)... all of which without being all that good as a creator. His shot selection is basic, his camerawork is overlit, his special effects always look too chintzy, like he bought them from Honest Joe's Pre-Owned CGI.

But because he's such a super-fan and had his modest clout, he was able to showrun admirable anthology efforts like Masters of Horror and Fear Itself (director-centered series that have some fantastic episodes in them).

NOTE:
Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:35 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:21 pm
I had it in my queue but never pulled the trigger. Was it good?
It's pretty interesting. It's been a hot minute since I've seen it, but I remember it being pretty quiet, and I liked how the movie was black and white and the color was pink.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:42 pm

DaMU wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:17 pm
Cronenberg is great. Even when I don't think his story is all there, his direction (the camera, the cutting, the blocking) is so muscular and confident and expertly paced. He knows exactly how to make his movies. I still have a lot to see of his work, but even so, his three-film run of The Dead Zone / The Fly / Dead Ringers is god-tier. What I've seen:

The Fly
Dead Ringers
The Dead Zone
A History of Violence
Eastern Promises
The Brood
Existenz
Spider
Videodrome
Scanners
Rabid
A world where Existenz is above Videodrome, or even Scanners, makes me sad.

Shivers won't stand a chance in such a topsy turvy universe as this.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:45 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:54 pm
Yarp. And Crimes of the Future and Fast Company.
I've seen the other two. Liked both. Never pulled the trigger on Stereo though.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:53 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:45 pm
I've seen the other two. Liked both. Never pulled the trigger on Stereo though.
I watched it back to back with COTF. It’s very similar to that one: filmed at college, b&w, essentially a silent film with narration. The impression it left on me is that it’s an interesting artifact of his origins as a filmmaker and you can see some of the seeds of who he’d become bobbing around, but I don’t think he really became Cronenberg until Shivers.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:53 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:42 pm
A world where Existenz is above Videodrome, or even Scanners, makes me sad.

Shivers won't stand a chance in such a topsy turvy universe as this.
I need to give Videodrome another shot. Both times I've watched it (a long while ago), I just did not respond to the actual narrative. Loved the imagery, loved Woods' unhinged performance, and ultimately waited patiently for it to be over.
NOTE:
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:21 pm

There has always been an element of impenetrability to Videodrome that I've been chipping away at for years, rewatch after rewatch. It's always remained somewhat at a distance to me, but that remoteness, mixed with all of the tangibly fascinating things about it from its general concept to all of its companion performances and imagery, is what gives this film its distinct place in my brain. Its narrative really isn't a hook for me. It's the presentation of this world that so desperately seems in need of deciphering, yet always resists, that brings me back.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:22 pm

Cronenberg Ranked:

The Fly
History of Violence
Videodrome
Dead Ringers
Naked Lunch
Eastern Promises
A Dangerous Method
Crash
Cosmopolis
The Brood
ExistenZ
Maps to the Stars
Scanners
Spider
Rabid
Shivers
The Dead Zone
Fast Company
Crimes of the Future
Stereo
topherH

Post by topherH » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:24 am

@Damu that seems interesting, might investigate further.

As for The Brood, it felt like a talky, slow burn dread, followed by the inevitable Cronenberg gross out finale. I think I kind of loved it.
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +

+ Recommended
Charles

Post by Charles » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:39 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:22 pm
Cronenberg Ranked:

The Fly
History of Violence
Videodrome
Dead Ringers
Naked Lunch
Eastern Promises
A Dangerous Method
Crash
Cosmopolis
The Brood
ExistenZ
Maps to the Stars
Scanners
Spider
Rabid
Shivers
The Dead Zone
Fast Company
Crimes of the Future
Stereo

What's your grade for Dead Zone?

My ranking would be:

Naked Lunch
Eastern Promises
The Dead Zone
Existenz
The Fly

And somewhere Cosmopolis, which I didn't get at all.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:33 am

Charles wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:39 am
What's your grade for Dead Zone?

My ranking would be:

Naked Lunch
Eastern Promises
The Dead Zone
Existenz
The Fly

And somewhere Cosmopolis, which I didn't get at all.
Full disclosure, I need to rewatch the Dead Zone. I watched it at the height of my King fandom with the book being one of my favorites and despite already loving Cronenberg and Walken, I found the casting and every change to the source to be very inferior. I still liked it but that placed it low on the list.

I want to rewatch it and see how it stands divorced from such bias but things like the handling of Frank Dodd and casting overtly weird Walken in the role still strike me as very off putting choices.

Stillson's presidential run will definitely carry a lot more weight in 2020 though.