Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Discuss anything you want.
replican

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by replican » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:41 am

Loving the Cronenberg discussion y'all.
crumbsroom wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:42 pm
A world where Existenz is above Videodrome, or even Scanners, makes me sad.

Shivers won't stand a chance in such a topsy turvy universe as this.
It speaks to how peculiar Cronenberg's early works were that Existenz is the more accessible of the films mentioned. I was floored by Existenz on first (only) watch.
replican

Post by replican » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:47 am

DaMU wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:17 pm
Cronenberg is great. Even when I don't think his story is all there, his direction (the camera, the cutting, the blocking) is so muscular and confident and expertly paced. He knows exactly how to make his movies. I still have a lot to see of his work, but even so, his three-film run of The Dead Zone / The Fly / Dead Ringers is god-tier. What I've seen:

The Fly
Dead Ringers
The Dead Zone
A History of Violence
Eastern Promises
The Brood
Existenz
Spider
Videodrome
Scanners
Rabid
Well said. Earlier ITT I mentioned that Cronenberg captures masculinity well. I feel like there's a relation to that and what you say here. His direction is assured.

I forget which movie it was, but there's a scene very early on it it and I remember thinking how lived in it felt. It takes place in the early 80s I believe. It takes us through some empty streets. I was so enthralled by it. Thinking man this feels so real in the sense that it captures what it would feel like to be there, like convey that specific time and place. I was high at the time but still most of the credit goes to Cronenberg.
Rock

Post by Rock » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:00 am

DaMU wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:53 pm
I need to give Videodrome another shot. Both times I've watched it (a long while ago), I just did not respond to the actual narrative. Loved the imagery, loved Woods' unhinged performance, and ultimately waited patiently for it to be over.
It's been a few years since I've last seen it too, but I think it works better if you can see a bit of yourself in the James Woods character (i.e. someone who would want to chase the highs of extreme content the way he does), which I think grounds the ridiculous shit the movie piles on. To me it's Cronenberg's most entertaining mixture of chilly surface and delirious narrative, but I can see it not working if you don't hop on the train right at the beginning, so to speak.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Rock

Post by Rock » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:03 am

Also, attempted rankings of what I've seen (more in terms of enjoyment than "quality"):

Videodrome
The Fly
Eastern Promises
Scanners
Shivers
Dead Ringers
The Dead Zone
A History of Violence
The Brood
Rabid
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:46 am

Underwater (2020) - B

Shallow (harharhar) but fun aquatic horror pastiche that borrows from the expected claustrophobic classics but nonetheless creates its identity thanks to its directness, its effective supernatural elements (include a late-film surprise guest), and the underplaying (and spareness) of its cast of archetypes. My favorite bit was how
the merman distends his jaws and swallows K-Stew whole, and then she shoots her way out. That's some good stuff, movie.)
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:05 am

DaMU wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:46 am
Underwater (2020) - B

Shallow (harharhar) but fun aquatic horror pastiche that borrows from the expected claustrophobic classics but nonetheless creates its identity thanks to its directness, its effective supernatural elements (include a late-film surprise guest), and the underplaying (and spareness) of its cast of archetypes. My favorite bit was how
the merman distends his jaws and swallows K-Stew whole, and then she shoots her way out. That's some good stuff, movie.)
I've been wanting to hear your thoughts specifically concerning the surprise guest since it came out. I need more details.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:47 pm

Disappointed to see Rabid on the bottom of so many lists. I feel like it would be a good Cronenberg gateway movie. I like how you can take it as a criticism of modern conveniences - while they make life easier, it would only take one unstable element to turn everything into a hellscape - or as a depiction of how grey and hopeless the world seems after a relationship ends.

A Dangerous Method is probably my least favorite. When it's not deathly dull - it's one of the few times I fell asleep in a theater - it's weird, and not in a good way, thanks to Keira Knightley's annoying performance.
Last Great Movie Seen
Slow West (Maclean, 2015)
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:20 pm

Shivers
Videodrome
Dead Ringers
The Brood
Naked Lunch
The Fly
Eastern Promises
Scanners
The Dead Zone
Maps to the Stars
Cosmopolis
History of Violence
Crimes of the Future
Spider
Fast Company
Crash
Rabid
Existenz
A Dangerous Method
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:46 pm

DaMU wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:53 pm
I need to give Videodrome another shot. Both times I've watched it (a long while ago), I just did not respond to the actual narrative. Loved the imagery, loved Woods' unhinged performance, and ultimately waited patiently for it to be over.
This is crazy talk. Videodrome is one of the best movies ever. I will hear no other opinion or take.
Long live The New Flesh.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:55 pm

Torgo wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:47 pm

A Dangerous Method is probably my least favorite. When it's not deathly dull - it's one of the few times I fell asleep in a theater - it's weird, and not in a good way, thanks to Keira Knightley's annoying performance.
I loved it. I thought it was the psychological version of his body-horror.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:57 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:42 pm
A world where Existenz is above Videodrome, or even Scanners, makes me sad.

Shivers won't stand a chance in such a topsy turvy universe as this.
Existenz is one of my favorites of his, definitely above Scanners, which simply does not hold up, but nothing is above Videodrome.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:00 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:20 pm
Shivers
I thought Shivers was great.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:02 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:05 am
I've been wanting to hear your thoughts specifically concerning the surprise guest since it came out. I need more details.
I think Eubank's style choices kept our boy a little too shrouded; I didn't get a great look at Cthulhu ("wings" and all) until maybe the last shot. Also, I wish the film used the idea of underwater madness a little more. It's suggested in the narration, you get a touch of it with the supporting actress who panics over her dying boyfriend, but amplifying that could've made the madness-inducing monstrosity hit harder and created more tension in those final moments; but that also could've pressed too hard against the film's modest pulp thrill machine aspirations, so let's call it a push.

The reveal is a fucking banger, though, when he lifts up in the murk and you realize the mermen nest on his skin. I also liked how the creature design team kept the mouth tentacles but added a toothed maw. And just in general, having a film climax with Cthulhu is an unexpected treat. I bet the filmmakers had a lot of fun once they realized they could include him without confusing the average moviegoer (since it's just The Alpha as far as they're concerned). A real eat your cake and have it situation.
Sidebar: Eubank and his camera team do a good job with close-ups.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:49 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:57 pm
Existenz is one of my favorites of his, definitely above Scanners, which simply does not hold up, but nothing is above Videodrome.
Scanners is mostly nostalgia, but even though I find it flawed, a recent rewatch has made me start appreciating it a little more again. Lacks performance is always going to be somewhat of an issue, but the movie surrounding him is quality second tier Cronenberg.

Existenz is a movie that is more interesting to hear about than actually watch. It feels like Cronenberg on auto pilot.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:52 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:49 pm
Scanners is mostly nostalgia, but even though I find it flawed, a recent rewatch has made me start appreciating it a little more again. Lacks performance is always going to be somewhat of an issue, but the movie surrounding him is quality second tier Cronenberg.

Existenz is a movie that is more interesting to hear about than actually watch. It feels like Cronenberg on auto pilot.
I'll have to watch both again, been probably a decade on both.
Scanners, on last two watches, bordered on terrible-with-cool-ideas to me.
Existenz kinda blew me away both times I saw it.
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:16 pm

I watched eXistenZ recently and it struck me as pretty minor Cronenberg though I've only seen 8, not 20 like some of you. I agree with crumbsroom in that only A Dangerous Method did less for me. I love Jennifer Jason Leigh and the film has superb set design, but it seemed to be obsessed with twists for twists' sake and both the characters and the storyline are ludicrous. Ian Holm, may he rest in peace, hams it up unbearably. It's an interesting companion piece to The Matrix but for me only serves to show how superior that movie is. Then again my top Cronenberg might be Maps to the Stars, though I owe both Videodrome and The Fly a re-watch, so what do I know.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:55 pm

Crash is probably my favorite Cronenberg. I feel like it's his most raw and cinematic depiction of his obsessions with how humanity and technology intersect and how two seemingly opposite sensations can be related like pleasure and pain or sex and death. It also has qualities that are appealing aesthetically like its eerie, cold depiction of Toronto and Howard Shore's guitar score (which is oddly reminiscent of Matt Uelmen's Diablo score from the same year, I might add). Plus, maybe except for Jeremy Irons in Dead Ringers, it has what might be my favorite performance in a Cronenberg movie: Elias Koteas' very unsettling celebrity car crash enthusiast.

It's interesting how everyone seems to have a different favorite Cronenberg movie and what that says about them. Umm...don't look too much into what mine says about me.
Last Great Movie Seen
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:04 pm

Torgo wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:55 pm
Crash is probably my favorite Cronenberg.
:up:
My first experiences with Cronenberg were teenage viewings of The Fly (liked it) and Videodrome (confused me). Watching Crash as a young adult was the first time I "Got" Cronenberg, so it's always held a special place for me. Shortly after that I went to every video store in town renting every Cronenberg I could find. It's been many years since my last viewing so I'd hesitate to call it my favorite, but it's up there. I sometimes feel like that's an unpopular opinion.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:40 am

I was WAY too young when I saw Videodrome (like maybe 13). But my weirdo brain absolutely loved it, thought it was the most amazing thing that ever happened.
So I think you're right, I think which Cronenberg is your favorite says a lot about you and mine will always be Videodrome.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:44 am

Saovi's THE CHURCH was so good I ordered THE SECT the moment it was over. I own CEMETERY MAN but will wait so I can continue his filmography in order. Between his acting and assistant directing for Argento/Bava, along with how much I dug STAGEFRIGHT, he's off to a much stronger impression than Lenzi, the other Italian director I'm starting to give a shot for the first time.

Having Goblin play Philip Glass compositions was a combination I didn't know I needed but holy crap did it make so many scenes in THE CHURCH carry way more weight than its contemporaries. Great stuff.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:22 am

The Church :up:
Cemetery Man :up:
Stage Fright :up:
Goblin :up:

Looking forward to your review of The Sect, haven't seen that one.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:35 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:22 am
The Church :up:
Cemetery Man :up:
Stage Fright :up:
Goblin :up:

Looking forward to your review of The Sect, haven't seen that one.
Thanks! Right now I'm struggling through Bava's own unofficial Demons 3 aka THE OGRE. I believe it started as a TV movie so it's very limited in scale, despite some interesting meta-text ambitions (the plot revolves around a writer having creepy ogre dreams that she keeps turning into a book) It's got one good atmospheric track but plays it on repeat the entire time.

Its just a very formulaic "are they crazy or are they not" haunted house joint so far. Very muted in style and content.

Its not bad and MAYBE it'll go bananas in the final act but it's been pretty tedious.

The best scene has been when the husband slaps the wife and you can tell the actor accidentally made contact and breaks character, flinching in horror before realizing they aren't cutting then tried to look harsh and tough again.

We'll see how it plays out.

[Edit] It turned out okay. Gets enjoyably metaphysical and rips off House by the Cemetery quite a bit but in an entertaining way. Nothing to rush out to see but could be cool to see a different "Demons 3" (Black Demons also qualifies for that title).
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:44 pm

The Sect is good. Whether or not it's better than The Church is up for debate, but it has a distinct atmosphere, a creepy Mansonite cult and a cute (but sinister) bunny rabbit. I am a fan.
____
Blog!
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:59 pm

So I should not expect anything as awesome as this poster. Is that what you're telling me? :down: :x
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:04 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:59 pm

So I should not expect anything as awesome as this poster. Is that what you're telling me? :down: :x
That is sadly what I'm reporting. Though I think the main theme may be comparable but was used in virtually every scene until it became maddening so...

You are correct. Nothing that awesome.

Also, I didn't like Cannibal Ferox. It was like Lenzi decided to do everything Deodato did in Cannibal Holocaust, but with even more incompetence and cruelty!
Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:16 am

It's pretty terrible for the reasons you state, although I did laugh regularly at the way the one guy said "twat".
____
Blog!
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:27 am

Cannibal Ferox is real bottom of the barrel stuff.

Overhearing Eli Roth at a video store in Toronto go on about how awesome it is for ten minutes, to a girl who was clearly not listening to him, is all that needs to be said about the film.
Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:14 am

Did he do an impression of the character I referred to?
____
Blog!
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:16 am

Rock wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:14 am
Did he do an impression of the character I referred to?
I just remember him talking about how extreeeeme it was and rolling my eyes at him before I even realized who was talking
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:23 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:16 am
I just remember him talking about how extreeeeme it was and rolling my eyes at him before I even realized who was talking
This is a strange subset of the "horror fan" that I've encountered much more in real life. There are so many men in LA who are kind, competent, funny, genuinely excited about horror, and when it's time to talk about it, they can only think of the genre in the most shallow and gnarly terms. How extreme and outrageous it all is. Not that I'm the smartest dude in the world (I'm the guy who saw Eight Legged Freaks multiple times in the theater), but I and people on this forum (and in other forums) are usually fascinated in the aesthetics, the meanings, the theme, the precision of craft of the greats.* But these bro-y guys have a love as wide as the ocean and as deep as a puddle.

*: That's probably selection bias at work, though, since forums are places to discuss and dive deeper; they'll naturally attract more thoughtful types.
NOTE:
Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:45 am

DaMU wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:23 am
This is a strange subset of the "horror fan" that I've encountered much more in real life. There are so many men in LA who are kind, competent, funny, genuinely excited about horror, and when it's time to talk about it, they can only think of the genre in the most shallow and gnarly terms. How extreme and outrageous it all is. Not that I'm the smartest dude in the world (I'm the guy who saw Eight Legged Freaks multiple times in the theater), but I and people on this forum (and in other forums) are usually fascinated in the aesthetics, the meanings, the theme, the precision of craft of the greats.* But these bro-y guys have a love as wide as the ocean and as deep as a puddle.

*: That's probably selection bias at work, though, since forums are places to discuss and dive deeper; they'll naturally attract more thoughtful types.
If I can offer a few points:
- I think in general most people aren't super articulate about why they enjoy movies. A lot people I talk to movies about in real life will, when asked why they liked a movie will say something to the effect of "good acting, good story", etc. That I don't think is a genre-specific phenomenon.
- I think forums are conductive to the kind of deeper discussion that gets into ideas and aesthetics than most in-person interactions. I know if someone asks me about a movie I'll give a much more succinct, high level opinion than I might on here.
- I feel like I've met my share of metalheads who have a similar orientation to what you describe, who seemingly like all output from a certain subgenre for similar reasons (usually related to how "extreme" it is). I'm not here to judge, as my music appreciation is pretty shallow, but I suspect there's something to the semi-non-mainstream/respectable qualities of these genres that attracts that kind of personality.
____
Blog!
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:58 am

Rock wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:45 am
If I can offer a few points:
- I think forums are conductive to the kind of deeper discussion that gets into ideas and aesthetics than most in-person interactions. I know if someone asks me about a movie I'll give a much more succinct, high level opinion than I might on here.
- I feel like I've met my share of metalheads who have a similar orientation to what you describe, who seemingly like all output from a certain subgenre for similar reasons (usually related to how "extreme" it is). I'm not here to judge, as my music appreciation is pretty shallow, but I suspect there's something to the semi-non-mainstream/respectable qualities of these genres that attracts that kind of personality.
[me, facepalming]

Sorry, I forgot to clarify that I was referring specifically to filmmakers. These aren't just bros, these are filmmaking bros. Some of them have made quite a few movies; I've worked professionally with a couple. Me, being naive, I assumed that most people who would put that much time, effort, energy, and money into the genre would have thought about it more deeply than "so extreme, my dude." Kind of important context. Many of them remind of Eli Roth, honestly.

Completely agreed with you regarding fans IRL and and forums. Don't know enough about metal to comment much on that, but seems like a fair comparison.
NOTE:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:05 am

Green Inferno is a much better movie than Cannibao Ferox, for what it's worth.
Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:25 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:05 am
Green Inferno is a much better movie than Cannibao Ferox, for what it's worth.
I mean, heartburn is much better than violent diarrhea, but neither one is actually good.
____
Blog!
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:33 pm

DaMU wrote:

I roll my eyes at these people, but at the same time I obviously need to be rolling my eyes at myself at the same time. I am undeniably drawn to the geek show elements that some sub genres in art can present. I like things that not only kick at the conventions of a form, but also the expected morality. I like having film that can place us in truly uncomfortable positions with what we are watching, if not just for the straight outlaw aspect of them, but also the questions they force us to confront while we sit there and absorb it all. Knowing that there is always going to be one more sleazoid director out there willing to document yet another rung down the ladder towards complete debasement, if only just to prove we can go even deeper, creates a sense of danger in the genre that echoes through the entire form. And it will also never allow us to become complacent about the notion of using violence as entertainment. But, yeah, I also like it because I'm not supposed to and it rankles people.

That said, I will still only accept half an eye roll from myself though. Because the notion of approaching a film with nothing more than this sort of thing in mind is depressing beyond all words. While I have recommended some purely unpleasant films in my time, all of them have at least an approach to the nihilism they are peddling that it is going to resonate in different ways with the viewer. You can take something away with you from them, even if you might just end up choosing to wash it off once you get the chance. A film like Cannibal Ferox though (and so so so many others) is that they seem only meant to appeal to those who are only looking to use the film as some kind of toughness test. They seem the sorts who demand to spice up their food to the point that it is taste ruining, and is instead all about the challenge. Fuck using heat to expand their flavour palette or other pussy nonsense like that.

But it's all just such macho shit, devoid of any sort of sensibility towards the actual art. Which I sometimes almost think is the point. Art is such an emotional thing to many, I almost feel there is a subset of person that is willfully negating any kind of sensitive reaction to what they are watching, by instead turning it into a retch contest. It's immature and empty, but I think allows them a safe space to not feel vulnerable about their passions while they are fanboying out. "It's not the art I like, it's the viooleeeence!" And everything Roth was saying that day encapsulates this kind of persona, and I find it to be the kind of person that gives those who also dig deep into these extreme kinds of cinema along side of them a bad name. And it's not like we are a well regarded lot to begin with. Defending some of these things is difficult enough without these loudmouths doing their braggadocio nonsense.

Now do I think Roth is strictly this kind of bro-boy? Not entirely. Unlike many who criticize him, I don't think he is entirely without talent. But he leans into these tendencies so hard it makes trying to pull anything of worth from his films a similar kind endurance test. A test, which I personally don't have much stamina for because I'm usually mostly bored by this schtick.
Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:39 pm

Rock wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:25 pm
I mean, heartburn is much better than violent diarrhea, but neither one is actually good.
Just want to point out that this is the kind of quality commentary you can only get in a forum.
____
Blog!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:01 pm

DaMU wrote:
(I'm the guy who saw Eight Legged Freaks multiple times in the theater)
What's wrong with that?
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:02 pm

Rock wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:39 pm
Just want to point out that this is the kind of quality commentary you can only get in a forum.
I saw you, man.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:30 pm

Wooley wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:01 pm
What's wrong with that?
I should've been watching more French New Wave cinemah whilst wearing a scarf and oversized sunglasses. And trekked to my local cafe afterward to discuss the films further with my cine-club.

[This post is 130% better if read with the voice of Matt Berry.]

[But that's true of all posts.]
NOTE:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:50 pm

Rock wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:25 pm
You gotta have HEART to have heartburn, kid.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:04 pm

DaMU wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:30 pm
I should've been watching more French New Wave cinemah whilst wearing a scarf and oversized sunglasses. And trekked to my local cafe afterward to discuss the films further with my cine-club.

[This post is 130% better if read with the voice of Matt Berry.]

[But that's true of all posts.]
I decided to read it in a Jemaine Clement voice just to spite you.

Also an improvement.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:36 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:04 pm
I decided to read it in a Jemaine Clement voice just to spite you.

Also an improvement.
I read this in a Chris O'Dowd voice, but it quickly turned into Ernest P. Worrell, because I am bad at accents.
NOTE:
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:37 pm

Be careful if you read it in a Powers Boothe voice. You'll grow more chest hair and an extra testicle.
Last Great Movie Seen
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:49 pm

Torgo wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:37 pm
Be careful if you read it in a Powers Boothe voice. You'll grow more chest hair and an extra testicle.
...but not where you expect it to grow.
NOTE:
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:55 pm

DaMU wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:49 pm
...but not where you expect it to grow.
You may have done David Cronenberg instead.
Last Great Movie Seen
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:14 pm

Torgo wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:55 pm
You may have done David Cronenberg instead.
I don't think Cronenberg has a distinctive enough voice so I read it as Cronenberg doing an Herzog impression and I am overwhelmed by the sublime chaos of humor.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:23 pm

Torgo wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:47 pm
I genuinely thought Knightley should have been nominated for Best Actress for that. DSDF.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:05 pm

Wooley wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:23 pm
I genuinely thought Knightley should have been nominated for Best Actress for that. DSDF.
Same. I think it’s a great film too.
wichares

Post by wichares » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:41 am

Ergill wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:20 am
Have you seen Onibaba? Another horrory Shindo of note.
Now I have seen, and tremendously loved it! Great horror film.

With Onibaba, Shindo plunges into the deep, dark recess of humanity during wartime -- full of greed, lust, and violence -- through non-stop foreboding compositions and pure id-driven characters (with help from three bracingly uninhibited performances). All of it create a thick, sustained atmosphere of menace so enveloping that it feels like watching a post-apocalyptic film. 9/10
Ergill

Post by Ergill » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:57 pm

wichares wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:41 am
Now I have seen, and tremendously loved it! Great horror film.

With Onibaba, Shindo plunges into the deep, dark recess of humanity during wartime -- full of greed, lust, and violence -- through non-stop foreboding compositions and pure id-driven characters (with help from three bracingly uninhibited performances). All of it create a thick, sustained atmosphere of menace so enveloping that it feels like watching a post-apocalyptic film. 9/10
My favorite Shindo. So, so, so good.