Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Discuss anything you want.
Captain Terror

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Captain Terror » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:53 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:30 am
So I worked my way through all of Into the Dark on Hulu and am now working my way through the Shudder originals. It's amusing as I'm sure both have similar mandates and budgets, as well as many plot and thematic similarities, but the overall quality of the Shudder originals so thoroughly CRUSH the quality of Into the Dark that it's almost mind boggling. I don't want to sell the Shudder Originals too highly, but I haven't disliked any of them and even those that fall short, have a passion to them that only the few best of ITD seemed to match.

Anyone taken a similar mission?
I thought I'd seen a bunch of Shudder originals, but it turns out some of those are actually just "Shudder Exclusives". So the only ones I've seen are Gwen, The Witch in the Window, and Revenge, all of which were pretty good to great. I've got The Beach House and Monstrum on my watchlist currently, looking forward to both. Monstrum is about a giant beast terrorizing 16th Century Korea. Yes please!!

(I'm not on Hulu so I haven't seen any of theirs)
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:46 pm

Rock wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:31 am
I can see where you're coming from, but I think the movie's constantly evolving visual style (taking up and dropping flourishes from scene to scene) and the way it shifts from lightheated and zany to darker (but still zany) give it a sense of progression that help the manic approach from becoming numbing. I probably have a higher tolerance for this sort of thing though, as I'm also a big fan of the similarly bananas The Boxer's Omen. (That movie grounds its frantic approach by structuring it around a few key confrontations, so it might offer a bit more of the relief you're looking for in between its extended bursts of insanity.)
Ahh, I haven't seen The Boxer's Omen.

Where I can agree with this is that you very fairly point out the film's evolving visual style; I was impressed with how confidently the film was trying new stylistic ideas in every scene and at times every shot (the cartoon aesthetic train ride, the slow shutter speed during the mattress pile-up, the slinky rotating camera during the piano playing). It reminded me of John Kricfalusi's theory on Ren and Stimpy that they should never repeat a face drawing. I also appreciated the confidence in not bending to the Dark God of Tone; the film turns on a dime from the ominous to the comedic or sublime (even if it didn't always work for me).
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:51 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:33 am
Watching Splice (not my choice).
God is this bad.
The script is just pitiful. Pitiful.
And the director should probably be shot.
I disliked this as well. I found it deeply unpleasant. It's surprising that Guillermo Del Toro had a hand in it.
I wouldn't totally give up on the director, though. Cube and Haunter are very good.
Last Great Movie Seen
Have a Nice Day (Liu, 2017)
daakmore

Post by daakmore » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:25 pm

DaMU wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:36 am
Hausu (1977) - B

14-year-old DaMU might've loved it. 37-year-old DaMU (Jesus Christ) appreciates its nonstop imagination but wishes it didn't ride on that constant zany pitch. I needed some more valleys to give the peaks a sense of relief (and relief). The piano sequence was my favorite, although a close runner-up to any shot that tracks/pans to reveal the clapping skeleton. Love that dude.
I watched this on a whim years ago and really enjoyed it, I think the constant wtf and weird moments just added to the surreal feel and kind of left me feeling giddy, not many horror films achieve that so it just makes it feel very unique to me. Lord knows multiple people that I've shown it to over the years have felt very different then me on the film but I continue to get great enjoyment out of watching it.
daakmore

Post by daakmore » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:27 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:33 am
Watching Splice (not my choice).
God is this bad.
The script is just pitiful. Pitiful.
And the director should probably be shot.
I remember really enjoying Splice when I saw it in the theater, I haven't watched it since then but I guess I'm wondering what it is you find so "pitiful" about the script?
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:59 pm

daakmore wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:27 pm
I remember really enjoying Splice when I saw it in the theater, I haven't watched it since then but I guess I'm wondering what it is you find so "pitiful" about the script?
I also haven't seen it since the theater but I too enjoyed it. The two folks that accompanied me hated it, and I've never met a soul till now that didn't. I've been reluctant to rewatch it because of this. When I saw the film I was already a fan of Del Toro and Natali, so maybe I was just bringing lots of good will to the table? It's so unlike me to enjoy a cruddy film. :shifty:
daakmore

Post by daakmore » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:14 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:59 pm
I also haven't seen it since the theater but I too enjoyed it. The two folks that accompanied me hated it, and I've never met a soul till now that didn't. I've been reluctant to rewatch it because of this. When I saw the film I was already a fan of Del Toro and Natali, so maybe I was just bringing lots of good will to the table? It's so unlike me to enjoy a cruddy film. :shifty:
I remember the ads for it at the time painted it to be more like Species when it really was going for something more cerebral, at least to this point the primary knock I've heard on it has been related to it not being the film they were expecting. That is of course only anecdotal so again I guess I'm interested in hearing what those who don't like it have to say.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:13 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:53 am
I thought I'd seen a bunch of Shudder originals, but it turns out some of those are actually just "Shudder Exclusives". So the only ones I've seen are Gwen, The Witch in the Window, and Revenge, all of which were pretty good to great. I've got The Beach House and Monstrum on my watchlist currently, looking forward to both. Monstrum is about a giant beast terrorizing 16th Century Korea. Yes please!!

(I'm not on Hulu so I haven't seen any of theirs)
I haven't seen Gwen yet (how is it?) but I've yet to dislike one (I disliked roughly 2/3rds of Into the Dark. If anyone wants to know the good ones, I got you). I'm slowly reviewing them on letterboxd but so far I've watched:

Terrified
The Witch in the Window
Revenge
The Ranger
Party Hard, Die Young (my least favorite thus far)
Deadtectives
Belzebuth
Horror Noire
Blood Quantum

I'm mostly watching them in release order but some have jumped out at me. I've also held off on Satan's Slaves until I watch the original and there's a Christmas one I'm going to watch in December.

My two favorites are Terrified and Revenge thus far but I would recommend them all to varying degrees except PHDY.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:41 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:13 pm
I haven't seen Gwen yet (how is it?)
Details are a bit fuzzy now, but I mostly remember that it was very VVitch-like in tone and look. I gave it 3-1/2 stars which is my code for "positive". 4 stars would've meant I loved it, so I guess I wasn't prepared to rate it quite that high. (5 stars are reserved for all-time favorites. Psycho, Fritz Lang, etc)

I wasn't expecting much from Revenge so that one was a pleasant surprise. I'll add Terrified to my list, that thumbnail has caught my eye many times.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:47 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:41 pm
Details are a bit fuzzy now, but I mostly remember that it was very VVitch-like in tone and look. I gave it 3-1/2 stars which is my code for "positive". 4 stars would've meant I loved it, so I guess I wasn't prepared to rate it quite that high. (5 stars are reserved for all-time favorites. Psycho, Fritz Lang, etc)

I wasn't expecting much from Revenge so that one was a pleasant surprise. I'll add Terrified to my list, that thumbnail has caught my eye many times.
Neat! My ratings are more generous. 5 means I love it. 4 is really liked. 3 liked. 2 didn't like it. 1 hated it. I skew towards 3s and 4s.

Terrified is a solid balance between classy haunts like the Orphanage and the Others and more bombastic creeps, like Conjuring. It's only like 80 mins, so its a good time that doesn't waste a second. I gave it 4.

I'm going to watch The Wrath then I'll be at Gwen.
Charles

Post by Charles » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:49 am

Creepshow's first 3 shorts are good, but the last two drag a bit.

And Stephen King's brilliant performance is truly the highlight of the movie.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:14 am

Charles wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:49 am

First viewing or no?

And yeah, Jordy Verrill is capably played as a real lunkhead.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:23 am

Charles wrote:

All of Creepshows charms are built specifically on the performances and the visual allusions to comic books, and I feel that all of the segments have their share of treats . All of the stories are pretty slight, by design, but I don't see how any part of a film that has a drunken Adrienne Barbeau, or an EG Marshall paranoid curmudgeon, could be significantly less than the earlier stories. They are among the best things the movies have to offer, even if the final story is particularly thin.

Something To Tide You Over is indisputably the best though.
Charles

Post by Charles » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:41 am

It was my first viewing.

I don't know if it was the decor in the last one that never changed or what, but it just went a bit long for what was a vaguely obvious conclusion. The preceding one had nice turns, but it could have been tighter. I should have said the first 3 are great and the other two drag a bit.

King's performance is the best, but my favorite short is the first one. The posh lady was absolutely delightful and I had absolutely no idea how it would all end. Are Creepshow 2 and 3 comparable in quality?
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:43 am

Charles wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:41 am
It was my first viewing.

I don't know if it was the decor in the last one that never changed or what, but it just went a bit long for what was a vaguely obvious conclusion. The preceding one had nice turns, but it could have been tighter. I should have said the first 3 are great and the other two drag a bit.

King's performance is the best, but my favorite short is the first one. The posh lady was absolutely delightful and I had absolutely no idea how it would all end. Are Creepshow 2 and 3 comparable in quality?
Never seen 3 but Creepshow 2 has a terrible rep. I think I'm one of the few that likes it. Well, aside from the Chief Woodenhead segment
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:48 am

Creepshow 2 is dope. The Raft might be my favorite segment of any of them.

Hear terrible things about 3 and mixed things about the show, which I'm saving for October.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:06 am

Creepshow 2 wasn't my bag.

My sentimental favorite segment is "The Crate" because I remember watching it with my dad as a kid and him liking it the most (he still thinks "Just tell it to call you Billy" is a hoot). But I agree with Crummy, "Something to Tide You Over" is probably the peak.

Rob Ager (sometimes annoying, sometimes incisive) has a good analysis of "They're Creeping Up on You" that digs more into the political currents of the story.

NOTE:
Rock

Post by Rock » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:25 am

DaMU wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:46 pm
Ahh, I haven't seen The Boxer's Omen.
Sadly, looks like the only ways to see it right now is a YouTube upload without subtitles and an out-of-print DVD that's going for $100. Shaw Brothers stuff has a way of popping up on Netflix though so not all hope is lost.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Rock

Post by Rock » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:33 am

"The Crate" has peak Hal Holbrook. I love it. I used to skip "They're Creeping Up On You" during most watches but last time I watched the whole movie end to end it held up pretty well. "Father's Day" is the only segment I'm a bit eh on, but it has its moments.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:45 am

Ed Harris dancing harder than any white man's ever danced juices it.

NOTE:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:55 am

Rock wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:33 am
"The Crate" has peak Hal Holbrook. I love it. I used to skip "They're Creeping Up On You" during most watches but last time I watched the whole movie end to end it held up pretty well. "Father's Day" is the only segment I'm a bit eh on, but it has its moments.
Holbrook AND Barbeau. It’s my favorite of them.

They’re Creeping Up On You really works if you watch it with someone that has a bug phobia. I didn’t get it till then. Can’t knock it due to how effective it is.

I like all the segments a lot.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:28 am

"The Crate" was the only segment that actually scared me as a kid, so I gotta say that's my favorite.

But I like them all, including the EG Marshall one which gets a lot of disproportianate hate.

I hated Creepshow 2, maybe because "The Raft" was a much scarier story than this fucking oil blob. Cat's Eye is easily superior to this one, even if it's only mild-to-middling at best.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:30 am

DaMU wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:45 am
Ed Harris dancing harder than any white man's ever danced juices it.
I was just about to post this gif.

ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:53 am

Crispin Glover in F13 4> Ed Harris in Creepshow, but it was a Rocky/Apollo victory.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:27 am

DaMU wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:36 am
Hausu (1977) - B

14-year-old DaMU might've loved it. 37-year-old DaMU (Jesus Christ) appreciates its nonstop imagination but wishes it didn't ride on that constant zany pitch. I needed some more valleys to give the peaks a sense of relief (and relief). The piano sequence was my favorite, although a close runner-up to any shot that tracks/pans to reveal the clapping skeleton. Love that dude.
Interestingly, I saw it for the first time at about your age and loved it but loved it more the second time I saw it. I kinda consider it essential horror viewing at this point. It do what it do.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:34 am

Wooley wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:27 am
Interestingly, I saw it for the first time at about your age and loved it but loved it more the second time I saw it. I kinda consider it essential horror viewing at this point. It do what it do.
I'd deffo recommend it to fans of the genre, don't get me wrong. There's not another film like it that I know of, and on that level I respect its weird imagination and idiosyncrasy.
NOTE:
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:35 am

Torgo wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:51 pm
I disliked this as well. I found it deeply unpleasant. It's surprising that Guillermo Del Toro had a hand in it.
I wouldn't totally give up on the director, though. Cube and Haunter are very good.
Jesus, by the time the movie was over we'd gone from MST3King it to being just in shock. It's just a gross movie, but we also felt it was incredibly amateur in everything but ambition. The script was terrible, really terrible, which at least seemed congruent with the terrible overall story, Sarah Polley really did her worst work in this film, actually calling into question whether or not she actually can act and Adrian Brody didn't fare much better while the supporting characters and the actors who played them were downright dismal, but ultimately the directing is shit. It's shit. It's amateur-hour over and over again. I'm shocked to hear this is the guy who made Cube, which was good... but then again I can see how the very tightly limited aesthetic of that film could maybe have made someone seem better than they actually are.
We all agreed, four of us, that all copies of this film should be gathered up and burned.
Just a pitiful, pitiful exercise all around.

So, my review... Splice can go fuck itself.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:36 am

daakmore wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:27 pm
Watch it again, that movie is the worst dreck, absolute amateurish garbage. There was no dissent on this point in my viewing group. We mocked it again this morning and mocked the person who chose it as the movie we would watch.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:38 am

daakmore wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:14 pm
I remember the ads for it at the time painted it to be more like Species when it really was going for something more cerebral, at least to this point the primary knock I've heard on it has been related to it not being the film they were expecting. That is of course only anecdotal so again I guess I'm interested in hearing what those who don't like it have to say.
We didn't know what to expect. What we maybe didn't expect was absolute shit. Which is what we got. Fuck that movie for how terrible it was in every aspect.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:39 am

Charles wrote:

I think Creepshow is pretty excellent except that I find the final story so unpleasant to watch.
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:11 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:34 am
*slinks back to internet*

Boxer’s Omen is the bee’s knees.
Watched this last night, what the fuck was that? Like someone could give it any grade from 1 to 10 and I would thoughtfully nod and agree with them.
Also watched Black Sunday, not quite my favourite Bava (that would be Danger: Diabolik) but gorgeous stuff, especially that opening and generally everything to do with Barbara Steele.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:18 pm

MrCarmady wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:11 am
Watched this last night, what the fuck was that? Like someone could give it any grade from 1 to 10 and I would thoughtfully nod and agree with them.
Also watched Black Sunday, not quite my favourite Bava (that would be Danger: Diabolik) but gorgeous stuff, especially that opening and generally everything to do with Barbara Steele.
Shaw Brothers going gloriously insane.

I dig BS a ton but it’s also not my favorite Bava. That would likely be Blood and Black Lace, Black Sabbath or Hatchet for the Honeymoon. Danger: Diabolik is great. I only recently caught that one and had a blast. It’s my favorite of his outside the horror genre.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:37 pm

I liked the final short in Creepshow well enough, but I do think it's a step back from the other shorts in the film (not because it's gross, but because it's too obvious where its going), but I like all the other shorts quite a lot, with The Crate being my favorite of them. Creepshow still holds up as top-tier horror anthology for me, along with Dead of Night and Trick 'r Treat.

I enjoyed House quite a bit, and even though I understand DaMU's criticism, I remember thinking that the slow start to the girls arriving to the mansion, where the weird moments were more lighthearted, helped to balance out the scenes at the mansion. I also think the escalation of the weirdness at the mansion (starting with the watermelon and climaxing with the pool of blood) helped its individual moments stick out even more to me.
daakmore

Post by daakmore » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:28 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:36 am
Watch it again, that movie is the worst dreck, absolute amateurish garbage. There was no dissent on this point in my viewing group. We mocked it again this morning and mocked the person who chose it as the movie we would watch.
Well clearly there is dissenting opinion outside of your viewing group, film was generally well reviewed when it came out and almost everyone I know that has seen it liked it. Also if it is supposedly as bad as you claim why should I seek out to watch it again? If I then hate it as much as you did I'll regret spending the time, so I'll just keep liking it and if I happen to be around when someone else wants to watch it I'll reevaluate it then.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:39 pm

Welp, now I wanna watch Splice.
NOTE:
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:47 pm

daakmore wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:28 pm
film was generally well reviewed when it came out
Interesting, this led me to check out the T-Meter which is at 76%. I'd assumed it was far less than that. I don't feel quite so dumb for liking it now. Watch it DaMU, and tell us what to think.
Stu

Post by Stu » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:46 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:18 pm
Danger: Diabolik is great. I only recently caught that one and had a blast. It’s my favorite of his outside the horror genre.
Did you ever watch the MST of it?:

Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:16 am

So Monstrum is fun. Sort of reminded me of the Daimajin movies. Bad guys act like a-holes for the first half of the film, then a giant monster kicks the crap out of them. There's not a lot to this plot-wise, but the characters are all likable and if you require more from this than a giant Lion-beast eating people then this probably isn't the film for you anyway.

While the CGI beast isn't exactly state of the art, it's not embarrassingly bad either. And along with the period (16th Century Korea) costumes and sets this seems like it cost more than it probably did. Don't expect to have your world rocked, but this is a fun way to spend an evening.

EDIT: Forgot to mention there's some martial arts and swordplay thrown in for good measure, if that's your idea of a good time.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:21 am

Here's a cool one I only learned about today. The intertitles are in French but the (10-minute) story is that a guy accepts a dare to spend the night in a wax museum. Not exactly scary, but it's worth sticking around for the end, which I won't spoil.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:17 am

Stu wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:46 pm
Did you ever watch the MST of it?:

Narp, but I have seen the Beastie Boys music video for Body Movin!

ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:20 am

On the subject of SPLICE: I didn’t think it was terrible when I saw it. It just felt like someone not talented enough to pull it off thought “what if Cronenberg directed Species?”

Also, for MONSTRUM, the description sounded a lot like Brotherhood of the Wolf but seeing it’s a giant monster, I’m most intrigued and excited to get it it in my Shudder Original Binge (took a brief hiatus on that to finish a tv episode I’ve been asked to write on spec for a local show and watch the wonderfully stupid AQUASLASH free on Hoopla. Had a blast!)
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:30 am

daakmore wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:28 pm
Well clearly there is dissenting opinion outside of your viewing group, film was generally well reviewed when it came out and almost everyone I know that has seen it liked it. Also if it is supposedly as bad as you claim why should I seek out to watch it again? If I then hate it as much as you did I'll regret spending the time, so I'll just keep liking it and if I happen to be around when someone else wants to watch it I'll reevaluate it then.
Honestly, I think it was so laughably bad, I mean, my friend Amy said, "That's one of the worst movies I've seen in a long time, and I ain't sorry we watched it." Her 19 year-old daughter, who picked the movie, apologized to the group. We were joking about it all day the next day. Infinitely mockable, we MST3K'd pretty much the last hour of it but we really started even before that. In that way, it was actually kind of a lot of fun.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:31 am

DaMU wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:39 pm
Welp, now I wanna watch Splice.
Honestly, it is gloriously terrible, I suggest everyone watch it.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:33 am

Oh, also, what did people think of The Ritual (the 2017 one)?
I thought the acting was excellent and the directing/cinematography mostly very good, snappy dialogue mostly too, but I ended up feeling rather let down when it was over.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:38 am

Big fan of the Ritual but it felt like they didn’t know how to end it (should’ve tied into the hallucinations) and took an easy out.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:56 am

Wooley wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:33 am
Oh, also, what did people think of The Ritual (the 2017 one)?
I thought the acting was excellent and the directing/cinematography mostly very good, snappy dialogue mostly too, but I ended up feeling rather let down when it was over.
That's one of my favorites from the past few years. Only saw it once, but I don't remember having any major issues with it offhand.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:05 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:38 am
Big fan of the Ritual but it felt like they didn’t know how to end it (should’ve tied into the hallucinations) and took an easy out.
I think that's what my problem was.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:24 am

Wooley wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:05 am
I think that's what my problem was.
I don’t think it was a terrible ending, it just... kinda ends. It’s one of the few times I think an...
I’m actually still trapped and was hallucinating my escape!
Endings would’ve worked. Still among Netflix’s best original horror films.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:34 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:24 am
I don’t think it was a terrible ending, it just... kinda ends. It’s one of the few times I think an...
I’m actually still trapped and was hallucinating my escape!
Endings would’ve worked. Still among Netflix’s best original horror films.
Yeah, I was also thinking that it might turn out
he was still in that night in the convenience store and was gonna save his friend this time.
I don't require movies to explain themselves but this felt like one where the story really demanded that they tie things together a little better.
Charles

Post by Charles » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:02 pm

I didn't absolutely love The Ritual, but the monster is A+.