Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Discuss anything you want.
Deschain13

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Deschain13 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:56 pm

I think I saw The Ritual? I think I liked it?
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:09 pm

Wooley wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:30 am
Honestly, I think it was so laughably bad, I mean, my friend Amy said, "That's one of the worst movies I've seen in a long time, and I ain't sorry we watched it." Her 19 year-old daughter, who picked the movie, apologized to the group. We were joking about it all day the next day. Infinitely mockable, we MST3K'd pretty much the last hour of it but we really started even before that. In that way, it was actually kind of a lot of fun.
One problem I'm gonna have with a Splice re-watch is that my Adrien Brody tolerance level has diminished sharply since 2009. Don't ask me to explain it, guy just bugs me. The Halle Berry thing didn't help.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:20 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:09 pm
One problem I'm gonna have with a Splice re-watch is that my Adrien Brody tolerance level has diminished sharply since 2009. Don't ask me to explain it, guy just bugs me. The Halle Berry thing didn't help.
He does not fare well in this film, either, his dialogue, honestly all the dialogue, is really poor. I mean, I think I thought Sarah Polley was a good actress but in this she comes off pretty badly because of the poor dialogue and the suddenly shifting, hardly-believable motivations. So, it may be that both of them can act but they both actually come off looking pretty bad in this. The smaller characters actually fare worse as they are silly cardboard cutouts. The guy who kinda seems like he was their immediate boss maybe or something (that's super unclear as he seems more like an advisor or representative early in the movie but then turns into this ridiculous asshole who is clearly their superior even though he contributes nothing to their project and doesn't even work in the lab later on), man, I just feel bad for that actor, he probably never worked again. And the brother, man, if they actually got Jack White to just come in and play him it probably would have gone better. And I loved how the two brothers look so unalike (because who looks like Adrien Brody?) that they actually gave them the same HAIRCUT to make them seem like they might be related. :roll: :lol:
topherH

Post by topherH » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:19 pm

Getting Fulci's The Beyond and the infamous Canibal Holocaust this week. Spent some cash on eBay to get these on BR. Been watching more horror here recently. Maybe I'm finally there.
State of Siege |Gavras, 1972| +
Deadpool |Miller, 2016| +
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:32 pm

topherH wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:19 pm
Getting Fulci's The Beyond and the infamous Canibal Holocaust this week. Spent some cash on eBay to get these on BR. Been watching more horror here recently. Maybe I'm finally there.
I’m a big fan of both. You may want to drop a little more cash after you watch The Beyond to get the complete Gates of Hell trilogy (City of the Living Dead and House By the Cemetery, which is getting a 4k release in a month).

I watched the last great Soavi horror today: Cemetery Man aka Dellamorte Dellamorte

It's great fun. Extremely stylish, silly, weird, gory and dream like. I think I prefer Soavi operating on a darker, more sinister level with the Church, the Sect and MAYBE Stagefright topping this, but I think it's a shame he didn't continue making horror as he is among the Italian greats.
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:34 pm

Cemetery Man is the only one I've seen of his but I loved the humour in it. Haven't explored the others but might give The Church a go based on your rankings.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:13 pm

MrCarmady wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:34 pm
Cemetery Man is the only one I've seen of his but I loved the humour in it. Haven't explored the others but might give The Church a go based on your rankings.
While I hadn't seen CM when I watched the Church, I was aware of it's comedic reputation. Given that TC started as a Demons sequel, I was expecting something within that vein.

Instead, I got an art-horror with a thick, heavy and dark surrealist atmosphere. It's still extremely stylish but far more sinister in essence than most Italian horror.

I think all 4 of his horror films are excellent and worth checking out. I'm hoping I can track down some of his later works when he stepped out of the genre but man... It's a shame. I think he's probably the most accessible Italian horror director I've seen, given that his sensibilities are far closer to American horror in terms of tone.
topherH

Post by topherH » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:45 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:32 pm
I’m a big fan of both. You may want to drop a little more cash after you watch The Beyond to get the complete Gates of Hell trilogy (City of the Living Dead and House By the Cemetery, which is getting a 4k release in a month).
These came up as suggested purchase in the receipt I got, i mistakenly thought Zombie 2 was the first part.
State of Siege |Gavras, 1972| +
Deadpool |Miller, 2016| +
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:09 am

I think one probably needs to be considerably sold on Fulci before bothering with House by the Cemetery. I really like it, but I'm a masochist for these things and it has a lot of dead air that would likely turn off a newbie.

City of the Living Dead should definitely be seen right after the Beyond, if one finds themselves so inclined though. The Beyond softens them up for what is easily his best. Its extreme and ridiculous and impenetrable in all the good ways.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:09 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:32 pm
I watched the last great Soavi horror today: Cemetery Man aka Dellamorte Dellamorte

It's great fun. Extremely stylish, silly, weird, gory and dream like. I think I prefer Soavi operating on a darker, more sinister level with the Church, the Sect and MAYBE Stagefright topping this, but I think it's a shame he didn't continue making horror as he is among the Italian greats.
:heart:

I prefer Cemetery Man over The Church (the two of his I've seen) in part because of its more rambunctious anything-goes approach. My memory of The Church is seeing it after Cemetery Man made me wish it had a bit more of Cemetery's variability, which was what I responded so strongly to.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:16 am

I think I watched The Church less than six months ago and I don't even remember how I felt about it .

:(
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:39 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:16 am
I think I watched The Church less than six months ago and I don't even remember how I felt about it .

Ironic, this Church confession.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:40 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:16 am

You loved it and called it "amaze-ballz".
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:45 am

So...I should watch it again??

Fuck it, I've got time.
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:09 am

Soavi rankings:

Cemetery Man
Stagefright
The Sect
The Church

Keep in mind that these go from great to pretty good, so the bottom isn't a bad place to be.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:13 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:09 am
I think one probably needs to be considerably sold on Fulci before bothering with House by the Cemetery. I really like it, but I'm a masochist for these things and it has a lot of dead air that would likely turn off a newbie.
It's got some of Fulci's best craft, but is frequently stupid and nonsensical in ways that undermine the horror (whereas Fulci at his best uses said nonsense to enhance the horror). I found it a chore on my first viewing before I'd really been sold on Fulci, but grew to reluctantly admire it with a rewatch a few years later.

The kid is the absolute worst though. If you ever thought rooting against a kid in a gruesome horror movie was distasteful, this movie will change your mind.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:51 am

topherH wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:45 pm
These came up as suggested purchase in the receipt I got, i mistakenly thought Zombie 2 was the first part.
Zombi is well worth seeing as it not only has some of the best zombie gore ever (only bested by Day of the Dead, I'd say), but it marks the point in Fulci's career where he fully transitions to gore films. His gialli flirted with gore but there's a huge uptick after Zombi.

There's a Blue Underground Blu-ray set that's usually affordable that has City of the Living Dead, House by the Cemetery and New York Ripper. It's a great set.

Crummy- Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that loves HBTC as much as the other two. It feels like it's Fulci's Phenomena, in that he manages to brilliantly blend his giallo sensibilities with supernatural gore horror.

DaMU- Very interesting that you had a still positive but opposite reaction. I wonder if the order of watching them and setting those expectations explains it. I'd still gladly rewatch any of them and will certainly force them both upon friends when the world ceases to be nightmarish. I think you'd really dig his other two. Some of the imagery in the Sect is so bananas that I'm still in awe that they went that far and Stagefright just feels like them thinking "Oh, you guys stole the giallo and called it a slasher? Well, we'll show you how to do a slasher!"

Crummy, Scorpion did a great Blu-ray release of the Church and it really makes that score hit. There's a scene involving a heart that I haven't stopped thinking about since I watched it. If you rewatch it, try to at least find that HD transfer.

Yeah, Crummy got two responses! For reasons!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:07 am

Rock wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:13 am
It's got some of Fulci's best craft, but is frequently stupid and nonsensical in ways that undermine the horror (whereas Fulci at his best uses said nonsense to enhance the horror). I found it a chore on my first viewing before I'd really been sold on Fulci, but grew to reluctantly admire it with a rewatch a few years later.

The kid is the absolute worst though. If you ever thought rooting against a kid in a gruesome horror movie was distasteful, this movie will change your mind.
Hey, love him or hate him, Bob is among the most memorable child characters in all of horror history.
Charles

Post by Charles » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:22 am

Is that kid that bad though? I had next to zero issues with him. His dub was bad, but not enough to straight up hate him.
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:32 am

Charles wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:22 am
Is that kid that bad though? I had next to zero issues with him. His dub was bad, but not enough to straight up hate him.
Nice try, Bob, but we're on to you.
____
Blog!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:40 am

topherH wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:19 pm
Love The Beyond. Also love the way New Orleans is all through the film.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:48 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:09 am

City of the Living Dead should definitely be seen right after the Beyond, if one finds themselves so inclined though. The Beyond softens them up for what is easily his best. Its extreme and ridiculous and impenetrable in all the good ways.
I agree with you on HbtC is better enjoyed after you already love Fulci. I would never recommend it to someone not pretty initiated. I enjoyed it a lot more watching it recently but the first time I watched it I thought it was actually terrible with awesome moments.

CotLD on the other hand blew me away as my first deeper dive into Italian Horror (I had watched Suspiria many years earlier and Black Sunday a few years before but that was it). As much as it's still got that weird disjointedness that Italian Horror seems to have, I thought it was an absolute blast as well as a freaky nightmare. Love that movie.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:01 am

Charles wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:22 am
I feel similarly. The voice actress did a hilariously bad dub but Bob himself is serviceable. He even pops up in a few other Italian films like A Blade in the Dark, Demons and Manhattan Baby, to nothing noteworthy because he isn't heinously dubbed.

But damn is that dub memorable.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:02 am

HBTC was only my 3rd or 4th Fulci and I loved it. *shrugs*
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:03 am

The only Fulci I haven't liked so far is The Beyond. And even that one I still enjoyed despite not thinking very highly of it.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:05 am

Wooley wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:40 am
Love The Beyond. Also love the way New Orleans is all through the film.
Macabre is another cool NOLA based Italian horror.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:06 am

MadMan wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:03 am
The only Fulci I haven't liked so far is The Beyond. And even that one I still enjoyed despite not thinking very highly of it.
Interesting. It's usually held as among his very best, I'd not his best. What else have you seen?
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:58 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:01 am
I feel similarly. The voice actress did a hilariously bad dub but Bob himself is serviceable. He even pops up in a few other Italian films like A Blade in the Dark, Demons and Manhattan Baby, to nothing noteworthy because he isn't heinously dubbed.

But damn is that dub memorable.
Nice try, Bob's voice actor, but we're on to you.
____
Blog!
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:57 am

Halfway thru a first viewing of Final Destination 2, calling it a night. (Tiredness.)

Not crazy on it. Like a lot of slasher sequels, it seems to just repeat the structure and amp up the kills. And the two kill scenes so far operate in the same way, with 2-3 fakeouts and a final goofball twist that was teased at the sequence's open. (There's a weird moment where the film suggests I should be worried about an electrical current reaching a woman's nonconductive leather shoes.) I mean, sure, camp is how most of these series survive, fine, okay, whatever, but the flick already feels barren of ideas. The only interesting character is the heroine from the first film, returning as the mentor.

The truck scene is solid. I think what works there is that after all of that chaos, the lead's three friends still die. That's a nice touch. And a relief. I was worried I'd have to spend more time with Kush Boy and Blonde Friend.
NOTE:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:58 am

Just an FYI: The 4K Synapse release of SUSPIRIA is just gorgeous. The new scan and color grade make it look like a brand new film in comparison to the South Korean Blu I had. It's positively drab beside this one's HDR. The Goblin score has also never been so dynamic and overwhelming.

It isn't cheap but if you're a fan, it's worth it.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:39 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:05 am
Macabre is another cool NOLA based Italian horror.
Yeah, I watched that not long ago. Real pleasure to see the town in like '79 or whatever it was, when I was a kid.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:53 am

Wooley wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:39 am
Yeah, I watched that not long ago. Real pleasure to see the town in like '79 or whatever it was, when I was a kid.
Then my work here is done. *dusts hands and leaves, pretending not be haunted by the implacable recent horror I watched that was probably Italian also set in NOLA but not yet desperate enough to try and Google...*

Could've been Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh, which is set in NOLA, but doesn't feel like what I was thinking of...
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:22 am

Yeah, Final Destination 2 didn't really work for me. The fakeout with the pregnant woman was some pretty shoddy work on a script level (inflating the climax with an entirely false narrative), esp. after the idea of cheating death by bringing new life into the world seemed like an intriguing place to go. (This is an idea the original film had but lost to late cuts and reshoots.) Also, a final-act suicide run by a lead character didn't feel weighty. You can tell the filmmakers agree, because they throw a montage/recap of the movie up to that point in a cheap effort to gin up some sort of emotion. It doesn't work. There are good moments in the back half though. My favorite was that one despondent survivor, having lost so much and seemingly resigned to her doom, learns in the final moments of her struggle that she actually does want to live. It's like Saw but with a touch more humanism. I also liked one surprisingly quiet moment where another survivor asks the lead to get rid of his drugs and porn so his mom won't be too disappointed in him. It's a joke but also kinda sweet.

Maybe a C / C+. It's not a film to be too ashamed of, but it also feels more thin, episodic, and overall less clear on its goals than the original.
NOTE:
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:23 am

I'm going to give the third one a go purely for Winstead. And then move on.
NOTE:
Stu

Post by Stu » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:00 am

DaMU wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:23 am
I'm going to give the third one a go purely for Winstead.
Got a little crush on MEW, do we?

:D
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:51 am

DaMU wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:23 am
I'm going to give the third one a go purely for Winstead. And then move on.
Part 5 has the best ending of the franchise and is much stronger than 3 and 4 overall...
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:31 am

I liked the third one, MEW has a bunch to do with it but I felt it got the funny, macabre tone exactly right. The second one is weirdly serious for what it is which didn't work for me. The first one is the best of the three and I haven't continued beyond that but might add 5 to the October watch-list if MKS says so. Can I skip the fourth?
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:34 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:51 am
Part 5 has the best ending of the franchise and is much stronger than 3 and 4 overall...
I already know the ending.
NOTE:
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:42 pm

My ranking of the Final Destination films would go like this:

The first three are pretty good, but the other two didn't do much for me.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:44 pm

Also, absolutely I think she's a cutie-patootie, but I also think she's tremendously undervalued as an actress. She does low-key remarkable work in 10 Cloverfield Lane, she keeps The Thing from spiraling apart, she's amazing in Fargo Season Three.

[checks Wikipedia]

WTF, she's in a band?!
NOTE:
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:44 pm

NOTE:
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:27 am

Final Destination 3 (2006) - C+

Better than 2, if marginally. Winstead is probably the best actor involved with the series yet, even if there's not much arc to her arc, nor is there much meaning to her bond with her sister, especially in an epilogue that-- like both prior movies-- could've paused and tried to find something to say other than "hahaha people are meat." A bit more style enters the series. A sharp cut from dual tanning beds to dual coffins. A heightened conversation in a gym for macho football players, the editing punctuating into short bursts of grunts and groans and pumps and slides that point up the pornographic vanity of the men involved (is there anything as death-defiant as a teenage boy angrily building up his man-energy?). I also liked how one of the survivors of the (perfunctory) roller coaster disaster went homicidal, convinced that killing Winstead's character would speed-run them through this grim video game.

What if that had become the actual movie? What if that character learned this idea early on and, in an effort to outthink death, basically became Death's avatar? (Before the real Death would whoosh in and remind him that he's nothing special at all, a la No Country for Old Men).

In general, I wonder if these movies (post-original) should move beyond (someone dies) (someone else dies) (someone else dies) thriller rhythms and try to engage more with the mythology it's been slow-building. Final Destination 2 had a clever scene where it assembled all the heroes in the same room and tried to get them all on the same page. Why not make that the actual premise of a movie like this? Have the people work together and be less obstinate? Maybe that could even be an elevating message-- that what makes lives lived in the specter of death bearable is that we don't have to be alone. Too cheesy? The deleted scenes of the original film suggested bringing new life into the world was how we as people "cheat" death. Cornball, sure, but at least the film (pre-release anyway) believed in something. So did It Follows, which is really a more engaging version of the root premise: you are a teenager, and death is coming for you, and you need to outsmart it somehow, and you ultimately never will.

I don't mean to come down on this film; it's really not that bad. Some clever staging, not as fakeout-heavy as the last one. It's more a disagreement of core principles. As slasher films go, you could do a hell of a lot worse, and I certainly have (still not sure why I watched Jason Takes Manhattan). I just think the film's premise could inspire so much more.

It was fun to hear Tony Todd as the Devil and as the Subway Announcer. Bludworth found a job in voice-over. Get that money, dude.
NOTE:
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:34 am

FML, my sister lent me her final month of HBOMax, which is why I even watched these last two, but I hadn't realized they also have The Final Destination, fuckfuckfuck.
NOTE:
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:35 am

Nice thoughts, DaMU. 3 is my second favorite Final Destination film, with 1 being my favorite. Are you going to watch 4 and 5?

Edit: Just noticed your second post.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:45 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:35 am
Nice thoughts, DaMU. 3 is my second favorite Final Destination film, with 1 being my favorite. Are you going to watch 4 and 5?

Edit: Just noticed your second post.
Same, right now I'm at 1 > 3 > 2.

Probably will finish things up, yeah.
NOTE:
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:47 am

DaMU wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:45 am
Same, right now I'm at 1 > 3 > 2.

Probably will finish things up, yeah.
Cool. 4 is my least favorite from the franchise, but 5 is good.
Charles

Post by Charles » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:45 pm

I'm sad to say that Creep is not as good as you'd expact from the guy who made Triangle, no matter how much Sean Harris commits.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:03 pm

:heart: New favorite movie alert:

The Blue Bird (1918)

Two sleeping children are visited by a fairy who takes them on a journey to find The Blue Bird of Happiness, because reasons. Accompanied by their dog and cat, who are now portrayed by actors in animal costumes, they visit various palaces, each with a different theme. The Palace of Night, The Palace of Happiness, etc. Along the way they encounter ghosts, Nymphs, unborn children, their dead grandparents and more. This is very much a fairy tale, so don't expect major plot twists or nuance or anything. You CAN expect an hour's worth of delightful images and some cool 100-year-old effects. Full disclosure: I watched this at 2 in the morning so I was probably in the exact frame of mind to fully buy into all this but I loved every second. I will now bombard you with GIFs.
https://youtu.be/6f0P_barjes

^ very nice print (and haunting score) for those of you who are interested.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:20 am

The Final Destination (2009) - F

Prove that Einstein was right about time being relative, because that 80 minutes felt like a fucking week.
NOTE: