Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Discuss anything you want.
Torgo

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Torgo » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:08 pm

I finally saw Land of the Dead, which like Day of the Dead is a strong entry in the Dead series, but it's not a game-changer like Night or Dawn. I like how it continues the series' trend of shining a light on something on America's dark underbelly, whether it's racism, consumerism or militarism. This one's focus is its wealth gap, with the rich survivors of the zombie apocalypse shacking up in the most luxurious building in their city and enjoying their Scotch and opera while everyone else fends for themselves. The movie also maintains the series' moral complexity, the highlight being when the roguish Cholo steals Dead Reckoning, the survivors' truly awesome to behold weaponized RV, thus dooming everyone regardless of their social standing. Cholo became even harder to like at that point, but I empathized with him and saw his crime as an inevitable consequence of the plutocracy's regime. Also, the use of fireworks to distract the zombies as a metaphor for the blinding effects of patriotism is a nice touch. It especially pays off when it’s (terrifyingly) revealed that the zombies are getting smarter, i.e. the more they learn, the less they're distracted. And then there's the cast, which is strong all around, the standouts besides Leguizamo being Robert Joy as traumatized, superstitious sharpshooter Charlie and Asia Argento as the no-nonsense Slack. Like I said, it’s solid, but it breaks no new ground – it’s no surprise that it’s based on unused parts of the much-longer original Day of the Dead screenplay – and while the gore and makeup effects are as pleasingly gag-inducing as you would expect, they’re undercut by the relatively unimpressive CGI.
Last Great Movie Seen
Have a Nice Day (Liu, 2017)
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:29 pm

I was kind of meh on the Ritual. I could see what they were going for, but between the thinness of the characters and their tendency to act like slasher victims, it didn't appeal.

Final Destin4tion outside of having a nifty kill scene here and there (also I think it was in 3D?) was generally a waste of time. Without characters with any meat on the bones, it just turns into one set piece into the next until its climax. I think I became depressed during it and what the film had to say about life and death.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:57 pm

So this Relic movie is supposed to be good.

ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:57 pm

Finally watched INTRUDER (‘89). Definitely among the best slashers in virtually any regard, though it goes for a sillier tone than my other favorites. After slumming with the likes of Slaughterhouse, this was a massive step up.

It also has both Sam and Ted Raimi among its cast members with a swell Bruce Campbell cameo.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:58 pm

Land of the Dead is rad, and I'll hear no opinions to the contrary.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:05 pm

DaMU wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:58 pm
I've long considered it a sentimental classic but I never heard of people singing it much in the way of praise. It was so much fun, Romero directed it like he was having the time of his life
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:11 pm

I was really wanting to rewatch Land of the Dead after rewatching Day of the Dead but my antiquated DVD is nowhere to be found and must’ve been lost during a purge at some point.

Guess I’ll be spending stupid Shout Factory dollars to rectify this.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:28 pm

Land of the Dead is above average. At least there's some intrigue in how the zombies evolve.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:31 pm

DaMU wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:58 pm
It's a lot of fun. I just thought of something else: it's basically how a zombie movie would play out in Biff Tannen's America.
There's two more to watch in the series: Diary and Survival. What is a boy to do?
Last Great Movie Seen
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:56 pm

I've jabbered about it on Facebook, but it's funny to me that Romero made a film that was both a follow-up to his ambitions for a post-Day zombie universe where people "ignore the problem" as well as a specific attack on the Bush administration. IIRC he told Hopper his character was Donald Rumsfeld (recommend The Unknown Known if yall haven't seen it, a fascinating look at the man's moral vacuity)...

But so much of the film works for our specific moment, too. Kaufman is a Rumsfeld, but he's also very Trumpian, living up in his tower, thinking of life in terms of what amounts to real estate deals (people pay heavily to live in Fiddler's Green), but he's not allowing a minority in (like how Fred and Donald Trump tried to disallow blacks from renting in the '70s). Kaufman and his crew have an overconfidence in the ability of walls to protect them, and they try to quell revolutions with distractions (this one's a bit more of a stretch-- Trump's distractions are more psychological, throwing endless shit at a populace unable to keep up, while Kaufman floods the streets with drugs and games). Oh, and by the end, what was implicit about Kaufman's racism becomes explicit. And also now, a black-led revolution that reclaims the streets is... obviously there's no way Romero predicted this, and I'm probably overreaching, but it's insane to me how prescient the movie ended up being.

There's also something fun to pick at, in how Romero's prior three films all had black male heroes, and the black male hero in this film is the zombie revolutionary. I don't know if that's nihilism or optimism, but I like it.

And it's also just fast and fun and gory, and the zombie effects mostly look great (I agree with you, Torgo, that the CGI hurts in spots, like with the zombie that flings its almost-disembodied head onto a person's arm). The sad piano motifs add a bit of grace. I like how his zombies are always these caricatures of people-- people who died as clowns or baseball players or part of a gazebo band. So so preferable to the uniformly dull zombies of a World War Z. It's Romero's slickest zombie movie, which might not appeal to those who like his DIY spirit on his prior films, but I'm cool with it. He doesn't need to repeat himself.

I'd also recommend the longer cut if you all can get access to it. There's an extended scene where Cholo deals with a suicide in Fiddler's Green that points up how stupid his goals are, and there's also more gore, and I think giving the film a bit more length and sprawl adds to its epic vibes. Love that shot of all the zombies standing at the edge of the river, and then all of them emerging like some sort of EC Comics Apocalypse Now.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:57 pm

Torgo wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:31 pm
It's a lot of fun. I just thought of something else: it's basically how a zombie movie would play out in Biff Tannen's America.
There's two more to watch in the series: Diary and Survival. What is a boy to do?
Skip 'em, I'd say. Leave the series with fond memories.
NOTE:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:57 am

DaMU wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:57 pm
Skip 'em, I'd say. Leave the series with fond memories.
And miss out on the plan to teach zombies to eat horses?!? Which seems less like good news for humans, as they still apparently eat humans, and rather bad news for horses as they would now be in the menu?
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:01 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:57 am
And miss out on the plan to teach zombies to eat horses?!? Which seems less like good news for humans, as they still apparently eat humans, and rather bad news for horses as they would now be in the menu?
Look, man, the point is that people will fight each other instead of the zombies right at their door! A fresh lesson he definitely hasn't been teaching us since the original film.
NOTE:
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:13 am

Haven't seen the movie, but I assume they're trying to be like buffets and get the zombies to fill up on salad (read: horses).
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:00 am

I'm a metal horse so have fun trying to eat me
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:36 am

Everybody fill up on Nameless.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:42 am

Rock wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:36 am
Everybody fill up on Nameless.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:46 am

I vote for Divine, I like no-nonsense candidates who don't varnish their opinions.
NOTE:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:48 am

I disagree on Divine’s dietary habits even more than eating horses. Would still vote for her over the current options.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:48 am

All right, people were correct, and Final Destination 5 was not-bad and maybe good, although it's hard to tell since The Final Destination dropped the bar so low that it crashed into the floor. Regardless, much better pacing, camerawork, lighting, and acting, and even a touch of the original's modest philosophy. This film has someone grapple with the arbitrary cruelty of the bridge disaster and decide that, because the universe clearly doesn't mete out death on merit, he has no obligation to either (it's weird to realize I'm thinking of Camus during the fifth film in a series that's largely been a meat grinder for pretty kids). So maybe a C+ / B- vibe for me. There's little to be embarrassed about with this film (outside the cornball 3D shots) and quite a few genuine virtues. Kind of a Scream 4 situation. Coulda been much worse.

One thing I do wish is that this series branched out into more interesting directions. Its premise is potent enough that you could a lot more than the usual "pretty teens die one by one until they gradually figure out death's design and try to beat it and maybe even kinda succeed until they suddenly don't at the end gotcha roll credits" way. Just thinking about it afterwards, why not follow a conspiracist who's desperately tracking disasters to find one of these visions, and then he gets to observe like a scientist (becoming a reflection of the audience)? You could also have an entry that dives more into Bludworth's relationship with Death (why not a prequel entry where he's a survivor of multiple of these visions and gradually learns the rules as he goes, eventually taking someone's long life to guarantee his own?). You could also start one of these films in media res with a few characters who've successfully learned how to keep Death "skipping on to the next one," and where would that go? Maybe nowhere dramatic, but hopefully I'm making some sense. Just that there's a lot more here than I think the creative staff wants to admit.

Maybe most interesting and frustratingly unexplored is that few (do any?) ask where these visions come from? The series has been doggedly bleak in a way that really stops being amusing once you watch them all rapidly. They even become kinda tough to watch. A fatalism hamburger with a ketchup of preposterous gore dumped on top. The only extant supernatural force is symbolic of inevitable death and decay and entropy and the exposure of the human body as nothing more elevated than a meat bag. But if so, where are these visions coming from? Is there a competing Force? I'm not asking for a fantastical white-light Force of Grace or Force of Life that defeats the evil Fatalist Death Force, but I mean... if Death has to "correct" things so frequently, couldn't that imply an opposing, almost puckish counter-force? (One that, weirdly, really really likes contemporary pretty white suburban teens?)

I know they don't wanna fuck up a formula that's worked for them and that draws, go figure, an audience that's probably mostly white and suburban and teenaged. I just think you could sneak a lot more art into the crevices of this dreck.
NOTE:
daakmore

Post by daakmore » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:18 pm

DaMU wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:48 am

Maybe most interesting and frustratingly unexplored is that few (do any?) ask where these visions come from? The series has been doggedly bleak in a way that really stops being amusing once you watch them all rapidly. They even become kinda tough to watch. A fatalism hamburger with a ketchup of preposterous gore dumped on top. The only extant supernatural force is symbolic of inevitable death and decay and entropy and the exposure of the human body as nothing more elevated than a meat bag. But if so, where are these visions coming from? Is there a competing Force? I'm not asking for a fantastical white-light Force of Grace or Force of Life that defeats the evil Fatalist Death Force, but I mean... if Death has to "correct" things so frequently, couldn't that imply an opposing, almost puckish counter-force? (One that, weirdly, really really likes contemporary pretty white suburban teens?)

I know they don't wanna fuck up a formula that's worked for them and that draws, go figure, an audience that's probably mostly white and suburban and teenaged. I just think you could sneak a lot more art into the crevices of this dreck.
I remember when the first was coming out it got me thinking of the interesting ways they could go with it and then when it went with off the pretty teens it just killed my interest in the series.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:26 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:51 am

Crummy- Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that loves HBTC as much as the other two. It feels like it's Fulci's Phenomena, in that he manages to brilliantly blend his giallo sensibilities with supernatural gore horror.

Crummy, Scorpion did a great Blu-ray release of the Church and it really makes that score hit. There's a scene involving a heart that I haven't stopped thinking about since I watched it. If you rewatch it, try to at least find that HD transfer.
I don't know, man, any of the basement scenes in Cemetery are great and as good as anything in City. But the connective tissue is some real lethargic shit. That isn't to say I'm not fine with a lot of this, but it is comparatively underwhelming to City which is dense with confusion and spectacle and nonsense. Cemetary feels it needs to explain itself, which is bad. City is offended that you'd even suggest it do so, which is good.

I rewatched the Church while I was briefly back in my apartment. Outside of the opening scene, I remembered literally none of it, so I think I may have fallen asleep on first watch. Or just wasn't paying any attention. While I don't think it's super great, it's got a lot going for it. And is much better than my imaginary viewing of it a few months ago.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:46 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:26 pm
I don't know, man, any of the basement scenes in Cemetery are great and as good as anything in City. But the connective tissue is some real lethargic shit. That isn't to say I'm not fine with a lot of this, but it is comparatively underwhelming to City which is dense with confusion and spectacle and nonsense. Cemetary feels it needs to explain itself, which is bad. City is offended that you'd even suggest it do so, which is good.

I rewatched the Church while I was briefly back in my apartment. Outside of the opening scene, I remembered literally none of it, so I think I may have fallen asleep on first watch. Or just wasn't paying any attention. While I don't think it's super great, it's got a lot going for it. And is much better than my imaginary viewing of it a few months ago.
I don't recall feeling like the connective stuff was lethargic. I do know I felt like the attempt at a more traditional narrative structure made the parts when it goes full Fulci (Fullci?) hit extra hard. With City, I admire it's ambition a ton but it comes off as a barrage of gags: some excellent, some less so. I'm a huge fan of both (The Beyond is the happy medium between them) though so I'm not keen to disparage either.

But enough about the Gates of Hell trilogy. How bout that Devil's Honey?

Did you find an HD copy? I love the opening sequence of the Church. Once again, my being a sucker for Glass made that hit hard. How have I not watched my Qatsi trilogy?

I do think the Church ends with a bit of a whimper but Soavi's stylistic bombast and formalism make him a potent fusion of Italian and American styles. He handles his content with atypical seriousness and grimness for Italy (well, outside of Cemetery Man). What did you think of the heart scene?
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:37 pm

If you all enjoy podcasts, highly recommend "The King Cast." Scott Wampler and Eric Vespe from BirthMoviesDeath (rip) spend each episode talking about an individual King story and its adaptation. It's rad. So far, Karyn Kusama's been on to talk about Carrie, Mike Flanagan talked about 1408, Damien Echols (one of the exonerated West Memphis Three) talked about how The Gunslinger helped him survive solitary confinement. My favorite was an episode where Glen Mazzara, who was set to showrun the Dark Tower TV series, talked about his long-term plans for the series and what went wrong.

https://audioboom.com/channels/5025464
NOTE:
Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:04 pm

I just saw an Argentinian movie, described somewhere as Wanny, called Terrified. It's a movie about something unexplained, manifesting in ways, from the darkness.

It has some A+ imagery, but overall isn't above a C+. It's messy and it drags, which is a shame, because if there was more meat, it would be one of the great horror movies of the 2010s, I'd say. As it stands, too much talking, the structure isn't great and there just aren't enough horror scenes. The monster loses nothing from the first appearance to the last and it could have been used way, way more without diluting anything.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:53 pm

I'm a big fan of Terrified based on the atmosphere and construction of scares but I think it finds an unhappy middle ground between ambiguity and explanation. I compared it to Us in that it tells just enough to be frustrating when it should've said nothing at all.

That said, everything involving the child is more effective horror than 90 percent of everything else.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:59 pm

DaMU wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:56 pm
(recommend The Unknown Known if yall haven't seen it, a fascinating look at the man's moral vacuity)
Truly horrifying.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:47 am

Not quite a horror but I watched Coherence on Amazon Prime which is a spooky sci-fi movie that works well within its small budget. It reminded me of Primer in that way. I dug it.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:36 pm

MKS, I see you watched Nightbreed. We're gonna need your thoughts.
...when you feel like it.
Last Great Movie Seen
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:18 am

Torgo wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:36 pm
MKS, I see you watched Nightbreed. We're gonna need your thoughts.
...when you feel like it.
You ask and you shall receive!

https://boxd.it/1h9MMr
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:53 am

Having bought Criterion's Godzilla collection last year, I'm now faced with the question: How much Kaiju do I need in my life?

GAMERA: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION

ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:02 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:53 am
Having bought Criterion's Godzilla collection last year, I'm now faced with the question: How much Kaiju do I need in my life?

GAMERA: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION

The answer is all the Kaiju. You still need the Heisei and Millennium era Godzilla. And don't forget Shin Godzilla, the Legendary Godzilla films (with Kong Skull Island) and the connecting Kaiju films like Mothra, Rodan and King Kong Escapes!

Yes, I will likely be buying the stupid expensive Gamera set.
Charles

Post by Charles » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:23 am

Fucking hell, 120 pounds. That's 220 Canadian. I'll find other means to watch these.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:24 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:02 am
Yes, I will likely be buying the stupid expensive Gamera set.
Way to enable me, bro. Do you offer booze to alcoholics too?
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:33 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:24 am
Way to enable me, bro. Do you offer booze to alcoholics too?
Do you prefer stouts with a high ABV like a gentleman of taste and class?
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:40 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:33 am
Do you prefer stouts with a high ABV like a gentleman of taste and class?
I prefer tortoises with tusks, and thrusters shooting out of their leg-holes. How's that for taste and class?
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:44 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:40 am
I prefer tortoises with tusks, and thrusters shooting out of their leg-holes. How's that for taste and class?
*Chugs in approval*
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:45 am

Deschain13 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:47 am
Not quite a horror but I watched Coherence on Amazon Prime which is a spooky sci-fi movie that works well within its small budget. It reminded me of Primer in that way. I dug it.
Some of the acting is a bit ripe, but it's very clever.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:16 am

Charles wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:23 am
Fucking hell, 120 pounds. That's 220 Canadian. I'll find other means to watch these.
But....this comes with collectors' art cards!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:35 am

The Pool is a pretty solid attempt at those "everything that could goes wrong goes wrong and now I'm trapped" type flicks. It goes to a few shocking extremes. The CG is dodgy and ranges from respectable to Syfy/Asylum bad though. So be forewarned.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:02 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:18 am
You ask and you shall receive!

https://boxd.it/1h9MMr
Thanks, good stuff. I agree about Barker having an incredible imagination, but only okay directorial skills. It's funny you mention Burton's Batman since Burton, like him, is pretty much the same way.
It's too bad Cronenberg didn't play more bad guy roles because he's freaking scary in it. Oh, and I like to think the movie is what would happen if Barker directed Dances With Wolves.
Last Great Movie Seen
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:50 pm

Did anybody see The Beach House, Relic, or The Wretched yet?
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:54 pm

Wooley wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:50 pm
Did anybody see The Beach House, Relic, or The Wretched yet?
Doing The Beach House this weekend
:up:
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:03 pm

I've also heard good things about Amulet and The Rental. Anyone? Anyone?
Last Great Movie Seen
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:35 am

Heads up.
I don't wanna say too much but if you watch Relic... well, shit I don't think I can really say anything without effecting others' viewing experience. Just lemme know if any of y'all watch it and we'll discuss in spoiler tags.

Maybe I'll just say that, after watching it, neither I nor my friends would encourage anyone to see it... but we wouldn't necessarily discourage anyone either.
Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:50 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:35 am
Heads up.
I don't wanna say too much but if you watch Relic... well, shit I don't think I can really say anything without effecting others' viewing experience. Just lemme know if any of y'all watch it and we'll discuss in spoiler tags.

Maybe I'll just say that, after watching it, neither I nor my friends would encourage anyone to see it... but we wouldn't necessarily discourage anyone either.
If that isn't an encouragement to watch a movie, I don't know what is. I'll watch it and come back to you.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:00 pm

Charles wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:50 pm
If that isn't an encouragement to watch a movie, I don't know what is.
Ha! I was thinking the same thing.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:47 pm

I've been meaning to see that. The more Tom Sizemore and James Whitmore, the better.
Last Great Movie Seen
Rock

Post by Rock » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:16 pm

Revisited Nightmare on Elm Street and New Nightmare and hammered out some thoughts.
I revisited both these films in light of John Saxon’s passing, and I think these are good roles to remember him by, embodying the kind of dignified professionalism and lived-in quality he brought so effortlessy and so frequently. (I haven’t seen nearly every movie he’s made, but I’m sure he made his share of films he didn’t think too highly of, but I’ve never seen him phone it in.) In the original Nightmare, he’s one of the few sources of warmth in a gruesome slasher movie, while the latter film nicely subverts that paternal quality to unsettling effect (the reveal around this dynamic is one of the movie’s best moments). As for the movies themselves, it’s hard to find new things to say about the original given its stature and the fact that I’ve seen it a whole bunch of times, although I did learn for the first time that it has an end credits song that’s an absolute banger.

It did stick out to me this time around how relatively abstracted Freddy Krueger is in this installment. The character isn’t nearly as front and centre as I remember him being (the fact that his presence looms over the film despite the limited screentime is a testament to Robert Englund’s performance in the role), with the movie opting to emphasize individual aspects of his appearance or abilities over shaping him is a cohesive entity. (Krueger is also distinct among the major slasher villains in being a product of meticulous design choices, in contrast to the schematic boogeymen of the Halloween and Friday the 13th series.) There’s a certain integrity in making his character difficult to grasp in this respect, as the whole movie is about characters struggling to grapple with a threat that doesn’t play by their rules. (Saxon’s character is a source of warmth, but also of limited effective help to Nancy Langenkamp’s heroine, who has to resort to, among other methods, the kind of DIY self defense tactics that often pop up in Wes Craven’s filmography.) The movie is dreamlike in the way Krueger’s appearances attempt to tap into primal unease and the way individual scenes stumble into that kind of subconscious illogic, even if the aesthetics aren’t (for the most part) what we usually associate with that term.

The latter film leans more into a more bombastic style of horror that became more commonplace in the ‘90s with bigger budgets, but like much of Craven’s career it plays off that dynamic between pushing the possibilities of the genre forward while delivering the goods. Craven has directed a few films that are landmarks of the genre yet rarely seek to elevate genre so much as expand it. New Nightmare is mostly cited for its metafictional angle (which Craven pushed further in Scream) but the set pieces seek to be exciting and scary in conventional ways. Even the meta elements have a fun “see how the sausage is made” quality, with affectionate appearances from Langenkamp, Craven, Englund, Saxon and New Line Cinema head Bob Shaye. (Lin Shaye, his sister, who was briefly in the original as Langenkamp’s teacher, also makes an appearance as a nurse. Is there another actress working today with a more reassuring voice?) Now is the movie very good? Well, much of the dramatic bent of the film rests on Miko Hughes’ performance, and while I will win no points beating up on a kid, he’s pretty bad in this. A lot of the special effects work is also pretty spotty. (The scene I best remembered, a reprisal of a scare from the original where a character is mutilated and dragged across the ceiling, is one of the most effective and leans on fairly simple effects.) Yet there are some great moments scattered throughout, and the film’s mission of trying to wrestle back control of Craven and company’s creation and make Freddy Krueger scary again is one I find cinematically compelling and a little daring in its low-key way.
____
Blog!
Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:05 pm

So, I just watched Relic, and I definitely get your point. It's a straight A for how good it is and how well it's made, but it's also very heavy and affecting in a way that you don't usually seek from a horror movie. I'll probably watch it again, and I would recommend it to someone looking for a great horror movie that doesn't have a single quote unquote cool thing about it.