Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:28 pm
I watchlisted it the other day :up:
It's only 59 mins! Hop on that bad boy!!! It currently has 100% tomatometer
Captain Terror

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Captain Terror » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:50 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:30 pm
It's only 59 mins! Hop on that bad boy!!!
My time is limited thanks to the recent arrival of the Complete Wonder Woman Blu Ray set.

DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:37 pm

Oh, I watched that years ago, this Bong Joon-Ho guy sure is somethin'.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:57 pm

Captain Terror Linda Cartering and DaMU old man jokin' at me... Shame!!!
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:39 pm

Kooky Captain Terror and Old Man DaMU are spreading their FAKE VIEWS all over the Corrie. SAD!
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:49 pm

MKS can only dream of being Lynda Cartered
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:30 pm

I'm hearby cancelling our proposed Zoom party seance over such discourteous and mendacious behaviour, I do declare. *fans self*
Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:31 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:49 pm
MKS can only dream of being Lynda Cartered
He wishes he was the gorilla.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:37 pm

Rock wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:31 pm
He wishes he was the gorilla.
That's my secret, Rock...

I'm always the gorilla.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:13 am

Hate it when I see new responses in this thread, but it's just MKS and Rock, monkeying around.
NOTE:
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:20 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:30 pm
I'm hearby cancelling our proposed Zoom party seance over such discourteous and mendacious behaviour, I do declare. *fans self*
Serious question-- have you seen Unfriended?
I kind of liked it. :shifty:
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:41 am

No shame, Unfriended is shockingly not-bad.
NOTE:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:42 am

DaMU wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:13 am
Hate it when I see new responses in this thread, but it's just MKS and Rock, monkeying around.
You shouldn't ape our style of comedy.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:43 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:20 am
Serious question-- have you seen Unfriended?
I kind of liked it. :shifty:
It's decent! Not to be confused with Friend Request which is bland as can be. I want to see the 2nd.

Host is better.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:44 am

DaMU wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:41 am
That's exactly how I would describe it. Potentially-dumb gimmick that manages to not be terrible. I'm getting a similar vibe from Host based on reviews I've read.
Rock

Post by Rock » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:29 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:42 am
You shouldn't ape our style of comedy.
You guys think you're so clever.

Well... something something... banana... Lynda Carter... :shifty:
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Charles

Post by Charles » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:48 am

DaMU wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:41 am
I could not tell you a whole lot about Unfriended or what happens in it, but it was one of the most comfortable horror movies I watched. Very cozy film. Unfriended 2 is just deep web shit, so I have not seen all of it. Whole lotta shock value.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:49 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:43 am
It's decent! Not to be confused with Friend Request which is bland as can be.
Yikes, the reviews for that one are brutal. It's got a lower score than #SquadGoals. Sheesh
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:27 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:49 am
Yikes, the reviews for that one are brutal. It's got a lower score than #SquadGoals. Sheesh
The reviews made me expect something amusingly putrid but it really is just the most unimaginative, by the numbers, safe, studio mandated to "appeal to teens" flick I've seen. It deserves all the derision for that but it's important to recognize that like Slenderman, there's nothing fun about it's brand of bad.

Wish Upon, however, is where it's at.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:48 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:50 pm
First of all-- how is it August already??

Second, having spent the past two Octobers trying to broaden my horizons (all-80s in 2018, all-90s in 2019), I've decided that I've earned a right to wallow in my comfort zone so this year I'm shooting for an all-Poe October. I've got most of the major ones covered (and most of the minors too tbh) but if anybody is aware of any obscurities, please send them my way.
Good luck, man.
I don't do all-themed Octobers, it's too important to me that I have as good an experience as possible. I remember last year or the year before when you did an all-90s month or something and you were not happy. I can't risk that, it's too important to me. I can have a theme or even a couple (like a focus on Italian or Spanish or Japanese or something or a focus on haunted houses or ghost stories or I guess I could even do a decade) but that's just a part of the overall experience.
I use a method that is a combination of trying to see a some first-time views mixed with at least a few guaranteed bell-ringers, at least some purely-for-fun ones, at least a couple that are supposed to be really scary, 5-10 related to a theme or themes, and then the all-important Follow Your Mood exceptions to any rules.
This usually results in a great month for me.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:50 am

Rock wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:29 am
You guys think you're so clever.

Well... something something... banana... Lynda Carter... :shifty:
... I'll allow it.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:57 am

DaMU wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:13 am
I'm just here to pimp my shitty blog, sir.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:52 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:58 pm
My favorite! Yes, I should probably clarify that by "obscurity" I mean something you found in your attic or something. Otherwise I've probably got it. Won't hurt to throw the recs out there though, it might jog my memory.
Likely less obscure, do you have Spirits of the Dead? It's an anthology by Malle, Vadim and Fellini where each adapt a Poe story. It's OOP but is on Criterion Channel.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:00 pm

Wooley wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:48 am
I can't risk that, it's too important to me.
And I respect this about you. :)
Also you've got the "no horror till October" rule, so you're under more pressure to "make it count" so to speak. But yeah, it's funny how different brains work. If I gave myself too much freedom I'd spend hours browsing until I fell asleep without having chosen anything. Or I'd just watch Frankenstein for the jillionth time.

Looking forward to the Poe thing though, it'll give me a chance to revisit a lot of favorites. I haven't watched the Cormans in years, having binged the hell out of them for so long.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:05 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:52 am
Likely less obscure, do you have Spirits of the Dead? It's an anthology by Malle, Vadim and Fellini where each adapt a Poe story. It's OOP but is on Criterion Channel.
Yeah, that one eluded me for decades until I finally got to see it last year. I'm a CC subscriber, so I intend to give that another go. I don't remember a lot about the Malle segment, but I liked the other two. Funny how Vadim's is the one that's most faithful to the Poe original, given the gender swap and Fonda's not-even-close-to-period-accurate wardrobe.
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:11 pm

I'm not a huge Fellini fan but I love his segment. Malle is hit and miss with me and his segment is more on the hit side. The Vadim I found a bit forgettable, empty 60s stylistic trappings and mild titillation.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:22 pm

MrCarmady wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:11 pm
I'm not a huge Fellini fan but I love his segment. Malle is hit and miss with me and his segment is more on the hit side. The Vadim I found a bit forgettable, empty 60s stylistic trappings and mild titillation.
Vadim's impressed me because he managed to stay pretty true to a story that I would not have considered especially suited for a film adaptation. You're not wrong about the 60s stuff, but I was into it.
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:50 pm

Tbh, I'm not even sure I realised the film was exclusively based on Poe stories, I've read some of his stuff but years ago. Might give that Svankmajer a go.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:06 pm

MrCarmady wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:50 pm
Tbh, I'm not even sure I realised the film was exclusively based on Poe stories, I've read some of his stuff but years ago. Might give that Svankmajer a go.
The Svankmajer is great. My favorite cinematic pendulum scene. (Is it weird that I have a ranked list of pendulum scenes?)
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:00 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:00 pm
And I respect this about you. :)
Also you've got the "no horror till October" rule, so you're under more pressure to "make it count" so to speak. But yeah, it's funny how different brains work. If I gave myself too much freedom I'd spend hours browsing until I fell asleep without having chosen anything. Or I'd just watch Frankenstein for the jillionth time.

Looking forward to the Poe thing though, it'll give me a chance to revisit a lot of favorites. I haven't watched the Cormans in years, having binged the hell out of them for so long.
Well, this is why I make the lists before and queue up those movies. That way I can get in there and just have a short menu for what I'm gonna watch. Probably I'll have a list of about 50-60 possible films with a target of around 35 movies. So I'll probably hit most of them. The one thing though is that if I start feelin' somethin' I have pre-given permission to scrap the plan and go in a new direction. Like if I find a few days into the month that I'm just feeling nostalgic and really want to spend the month on favorites, I can do that. If maybe my stress-level's a little higher from life, I can re-tune the month to be more fun stuff, more horror-comedies, animated films, drive-in stuff, etc. Or go the other way if I'm in the mood to get terrifying and gruesome. The list is pretty pat... until it isn't.
Another thing I've done is offload a whole lotta stuff to September with that other 'thon I do, the PRE-Horrorthon. This is how I get the slashers out of the way, for one thing. And it gets me warmed up and tests my mood as well.
Another thing is that I was introduced to the concept of Halfway To Halloween this year and that let some pressure off too.
But it's also just FUN to make these lists and to start anticipating October!
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:07 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:17 am
Shudder’s HOST is a really fun, well made, straightforward horror flick. It doesn’t really surprise at all but it makes better use of the format than competitors by far and has very well constructed and executed scares. It’s also only an hour long.
This was indeed fun. It's all nonsense of course, but one shouldn't approach a Zoom-seance movie looking for plausibility. And I agree about the execution of the scares. Some of it was impressive for what was surely a tiny budget.
I thought the bit where the face filter picked up the face that wasn't there was clever, and actually kind of creepy.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:27 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:07 pm
This was indeed fun. It's all nonsense of course, but one shouldn't approach a Zoom-seance movie looking for plausibility. And I agree about the execution of the scares. Some of it was impressive for what was surely a tiny budget.
I thought the bit where the face filter picked up the face that wasn't there was clever, and actually kind of creepy.
Why nonsense? I think it actually has a pretty intriguing implied underlying mythos to the goings on that gives it a pretty neat pandemic subtext that transcends the Zoom and wear a mask trappings.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:07 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:27 pm
Why nonsense? I think it actually has a pretty intriguing implied underlying mythos to the goings on that gives it a pretty neat pandemic subtext that transcends the Zoom and wear a mask trappings.
Oh, I just meant the viewer must accept that an online seance is a thing. I agree that they did a good job of setting up the rules within this world, and staying consistent with them.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:57 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:07 am
Oh, I just meant the viewer must accept that an online seance is a thing. I agree that they did a good job of setting up the rules within this world, and staying consistent with them.
I tried to link an online seance and got banned. Weird.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:27 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:57 am
I tried to link an online seance and got banned. Weird.
Oh I have no doubt that they exist. Sorry, I'm not expressing myself well today. By "nonsense" I just meant that I'm a skeptic of in-person seances so the idea that an online one would work is hard for me to swallow. But this is far from the most outlandish premise I've ever encountered so no worries there.

Do you know anything about the production? Like were the actors directed remotely? Some of the stuff couldn't have been filmed without some help, like when a person's chair gets dragged across the room.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:07 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:27 am
Oh I have no doubt that they exist. Sorry, I'm not expressing myself well today. By "nonsense" I just meant that I'm a skeptic of in-person seances so the idea that an online one would work is hard for me to swallow. But this is far from the most outlandish premise I've ever encountered so no worries there.

Do you know anything about the production? Like were the actors directed remotely? Some of the stuff couldn't have been filmed without some help, like when a person's chair gets dragged across the room.
Ah. I'm a staunch atheist so 99% of horror demands at least that level of suspending disbelief so I'm not bothered by such a thing.

I know a bit. It's been 12 weeks since they conceived of the plan (an impressive timeline), it was filmed and directed remotely, actors were taught how to do make up effects on themselves and where to place the camera to allow easier effects (like getting plate shots and Wheeling in mannequins masqued out later), and that none of them knew the entire film. Each one filmed their own segment on their own and only knew their own fates. It was cobbled together in post.

Neat stuff. Started following the filmmakers on Twitter and they seem like a nice group of folks.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:22 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:07 pm
I know a bit. It's been 12 weeks since they conceived of the plan (an impressive timeline), it was filmed and directed remotely, actors were taught how to do make up effects on themselves and where to place the camera to allow easier effects (like getting plate shots and Wheeling in mannequins masqued out later), and that none of them knew the entire film. Each one filmed their own segment on their own and only knew their own fates. It was cobbled together in post.
Wow, that's impressive. I wondered if that was the case but assumed it wouldn't be feasible. Crazy. Now certain parts are even more remarkable.
Like the fire consuming that guy.
I watched a bunch of Savage's shorts beforehand and liked them all. Seen those?
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:25 pm

Some short films directed by Host's Rob Savage---

ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:45 pm

Neat! I haven't seen them yet (still haven't even watched Ari Aster's shorts) but now that I've got them right here, I'll try and give it a shot!
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:54 pm

The Fright Night remake is a lot of fun. It's worth watching for the cast alone, which besides David Tennant includes Anton Yelchin (R.I.P.) as new member of the in-crowd Charley and Christopher Mintz-Plasse as Ed, his former best friend who won't stop reminding him of his geek past. The MVP, though, is Colin Farrell as Jerry the vampire. I've always felt that Hollywood is not quite sure to do with the actor, but his performance in this is a prime exception for not only how truly frightening he makes Jerry, but also for the way he makes his duplicity and physicality memorable. The desert setting, which is one I've always found to be ideal for horror, works very well, and speaking of duplicity, the movie excels at showing its many forms and how we're all a little guilty of it. Besides Jerry masquerading as a typical guy next door, Charley tries his darndest to conceal his geekdom and Vincent, who despite his amazing locks, luxurious pad and extensive collection of occult artifacts is actually a very sad and lonely guy. As it is with recent remakes and with too many modern action and horror movies in general, the CGI often takes away more than it adds. Jerry revealing his true form, for instance, made me laugh for how cartoonish it looks, and besides, he does a good enough job at revealing it with his acting. Other than that, I had a lot of fun with the movie and feel like it deserved to do better at the box office than many other 2010s remakes that did not do much more than add a new coat of paint.
Last Great Movie Seen
Razorback (Mulcahy, 1984)
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:44 pm

Yes! It's a good one.

"Hey, guy."
NOTE:
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:48 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:50 pm
My time is limited thanks to the recent arrival of the Complete Wonder Woman Blu Ray set.

Linda Carter had a unique sort of look that you don't see much on screen.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:23 am

Super-weird buy: wasnpicking up a prescription at Rite-Aid and a Collector's Edition DVD of Day of the Dead was on a rack that had Hallmark Christmas movies and kids' movies and... I dunno, I don't even especially like the movie, but here it is at home with me.
NOTE:
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:26 am

I HAD NO IDEA ERNEST DICKERSON DID SECOND UNIT ON THIS MOVIE WHAT THE EFFING ESS
NOTE:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:47 am

DaMU wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:26 am
I HAD NO IDEA ERNEST DICKERSON DID SECOND UNIT ON THIS MOVIE WHAT THE EFFING ESS
Miracle At St. Anna?

Oh wait, Day of the Dead. He was the 2nd unit camera operator. Neat!

Checked IMDb and MASA (Oof. Sorry, Spike)is the only thing he's been the 2nd Unit Director on so I got myself turned around.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:49 pm

DaMU wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:23 am
Super-weird buy: wasnpicking up a prescription at Rite-Aid and a Collector's Edition DVD of Day of the Dead was on a rack that had Hallmark Christmas movies and kids' movies and... I dunno, I don't even especially like the movie, but here it is at home with me.
The Impulse-Purchase rack is a very powerful thing. I spent years resisting the urge to buy a Joni Mitchell CD I already owned, just because it was on a rack next to the milk at my local Rite Aid.
ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:47 am
MASA
Make America Sad Again!
Charles

Post by Charles » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:43 pm

Little addendum, but I just read that the youngest lady in Relic is also one of the models in The Neon Demon. She didn't even ring a bell. Bang up makeup job from both movies, I guess.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:37 am

I watched DEMENTED last night. It's an indie rape revenge horror from 1980 rife with bad acting, bland shot composition and silly writing. Yet... They all sort of work together to create some oddly comedic tone that may or may not be intentional, with lines like "Getting raped once was more than enough for me, thank you very much" being dead pan dropped and... I kinda enjoyed it at times?

It's sitting with me better than I anticipated given how tedious it could be and I'm wondering if I might have liked it more than I suspected. It's just so damn goofy for something so grim in content.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:31 am

Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter, which is on Hulu, is surprisingly the first Hammer movie I've seen and now I want to see them all. Part horror movie and part Sherlock Holmes-style mystery, it makes up for its obviously low budget by being classily and professionally filmed and edited, by spinning a good yarn, being fun and scary in equal measure and by simply providing a bloody good time. Not to mention, the stoic, likely romance novel model Horst Janson's Kronos and John Cater, who makes his assistant Grost the next best thing to Van Helsing, work very well together. Kronos wins our favor off the bat by rescuing the wrongly imprisoned Carla (Carolina Munro), and while she's a worthy audience surrogate and despite Kronos's rousing climactic confession, I still don't feel like I really got to know him. Then again, I have the same problem with another multitasking hero who does not get a proper introduction in one of my favorite movies, The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension, so this could just be an inherent drawback in movies like these.

It's too bad that this is the only Captain Kronos adventure Hammer Films produced. Hopefully, now that the studio is back in business, we'll get a new one starring Michael Fassbender as Kronos and Udo Kier as Grost.
Last Great Movie Seen
Razorback (Mulcahy, 1984)
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:55 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:49 pm
The Impulse-Purchase rack is a very powerful thing. I spent years resisting the urge to buy a Joni Mitchell CD I already owned, just because it was on a rack next to the milk at my local Rite Aid.
That's really funny. I have totally experienced that with things. I am a guitar-pedal junkie and I do own two of one or two pedals (convinced myself that because Trey Anastasio used two of them simultaneously, I needed to have two of them, even though I am not Trey Anastasio). I just bought a fairly nice mandolin the other day. I do not actually play the mandolin.

Out of curiosity, which Joni album was it?