Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Discuss anything you want.
Wooley

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Wooley » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:57 pm

Torgo wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:31 am
Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter, which is on Hulu, is surprisingly the first Hammer movie I've seen and now I want to see them all. Part horror movie and part Sherlock Holmes-style mystery, it makes up for its obviously low budget by being classily and professionally filmed and edited, by spinning a good yarn, being fun and scary in equal measure and by simply providing a bloody good time. Not to mention, the stoic, likely romance novel model Horst Janson's Kronos and John Cater, who makes his assistant Grost the next best thing to Van Helsing, work very well together. Kronos wins our favor off the bat by rescuing the wrongly imprisoned Carla (Carolina Munro), and while she's a worthy audience surrogate and despite Kronos's rousing climactic confession, I still don't feel like I really got to know him. Then again, I have the same problem with another multitasking hero who does not get a proper introduction in one of my favorite movies, The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension, so this could just be an inherent drawback in movies like these.

It's too bad that this is the only Captain Kronos adventure Hammer Films produced. Hopefully, now that the studio is back in business, we'll get a new one starring Michael Fassbender as Kronos and Udo Kier as Grost.
This is the best idea I've ever heard. Especially if they can keep it Hammer-style and not over-the-top it like a Nicolas Cage or Vin Diesel movie.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:11 pm

Wooley wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:55 pm
That's really funny. I have totally experienced that with things. I am a guitar-pedal junkie and I do own two of one or two pedals (convinced myself that because Trey Anastasio used two of them simultaneously, I needed to have two of them, even though I am not Trey Anastasio). I just bought a fairly nice mandolin the other day. I do not actually play the mandolin.

Out of curiosity, which Joni album was it?
It was a copy of Blue in a cardboard digipak. My copy at the time was a standard jewel-case version from the BMG Music Club. (Remember 12 CDs for a penny?) So there were no bonus tracks or anything, but it was just such an unexpected thing to see on the rack next to Kevin James Two-fer DVDs and so on that it called to me like a siren. And of course nobody bought the damn thing BECAUSE IT WAS RITE AID, so it sat there for years.

And I know a guy that went on a vacation to Tennessee and came home with a banjo. Not only does he not play the banjo, but he's not a musician of any kind. That was 30 years ago and he still doesn't play the banjo.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:23 pm

Wooley wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:57 pm
This is the best idea I've ever heard. Especially if they can keep it Hammer-style and not over-the-top it like a Nicolas Cage or Vin Diesel movie.
Thanks, and I agree that a refined, elegant, British approach would be best.
Oh, and Carla Gugino should play Carla and not just because they have the same name. Just typing that made me break into a sweat.
Last Great Movie Seen
Razorback (Mulcahy, 1984)
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:09 am

Well, I just watched Underwater and I didn't see the problem.
I didn't think it was anything to write home about, and it was certainly a bit murky, but I thought the fairly short run-time (1h 35m) sailed right on by.
Kristen Stewart was quite good.
That's it, I don't have much to say, I'm just surprised this movie is Certified Rotten and has a poor reputation. It lacks a lot of the "I can't fucking believe how stupid..." moments I've seen in a lot of other films of its ilk. *glares at Prometheus which has no business being certified fresh and fails where this much less ambitious movie does not*
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:51 am

Yeah, the critics have it wrong on that one. Sturdy and engaging on its own (very) modest terms. Stewart shines. A few nice Lovecraftian touches. I can imagine an alternative universe where it came out before the other Abyss ripoffs and enjoyed a long life as a basic cable standard.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:03 pm

DaMU wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:51 am
Yeah, the critics have it wrong on that one. Sturdy and engaging on its own (very) modest terms. Stewart shines. A few nice Lovecraftian touches. I can imagine an alternative universe where it came out before the other Abyss ripoffs and enjoyed a long life as a basic cable standard.
Agreed.
I have a question though, regarding the "Lovecraftian touches".
The only reason I broke down and watched this movie was because it was spoiled for me that Cthulhu showed up and that alone is enough to get me to watch any movie. In fact, just saying "Lovecraft" and the name of a movie automatically initiates my viewing of said movie.
Yet, when the film was over, I did not actually feel like the movie had anything to do with Lovecraft, at least not intentionally. And I have read a LOT of Lovecraft, and most of his stories multiple times. While the big bad did technically physically resemble Cthulhu, the resemblance, to me, was more like, "Oh look, their big bad kinda looks like Cthulhu" rather than "Oh my, is this movie actually about a drilling operation waking up Cthulhu?!"
In the end, I did not feel that the monster was Cthulhu or that it was really intended to be Cthulhu and I certainly didn't feel like there was anything other than its resemblance to the High Priest of R'lyeh that would connect the film to Lovecraft.
Your thoughts?
Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:01 pm

I didn't find Underwater meaningfully Lovecraftian either. Most media that is said to be Lovecraftian stops at weird monsters and tentacles. The only exception I know of to that rule are Benson and Moorehead.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:44 pm

Wooley, regarding your spoiler:
The film never name-checks Cthulhu, but the director confirmed that the monster at the end is Cthulhu.
Apart from that design choice-- and from the hints of undersea madness, which sorta connects to HPL's stories of people driven mad by witnessing an overwhelming environment or threat-- there's nothing too Lovecraftian going on. To me, a "Lovecraftian" story is one that focuses either on the fear of cosmic inconsequence/indifference or the fear of monster/human cross-breeding. e.g. Event Horizon isn't Lovecraftian to me because its supernatural forces are invested in exploiting the sins and trauma of the characters. That feels very carnal and Christian-derived; HPL would've had no patience for those trivialities.

Charles, agreed that Benson/Moorehead have a good cosmic groove, and that many deliberate adaptations limit themselves to shallow evocation. The best HPL-like movies aren't even adaptations and aren't terribly intentional. Alien and The Thing. The X-Files: Fight the Future. Ghostbusters to me is (I'm sure unintentionally) a very funny riff on "The Call of Cthulhu" and "The Dunwich Horror," with a bit of "Nyarlathotep" in its big delicious shape-shifter.

Anyway, I say we should drop stock in HPL and reinvest that capital in Richard Matheson, Daphne du Maurier, and M. R. James. Little Howie's gotten enough attention!
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:12 pm

I think Underwater, outside of that 3rd act shift, would fit the bill of Lovecraftian regardless. Sure, he most notably dealt with cosmic horror and madness but much of his fiction is reliant upon the horror of encountering an unknown, ancient and monstrous evil. This one certainly fits the bill in comparison to shorts like The Nameless City.

Sometimes it was a Euclidean horror incomprehensible to the minds of man! Sometimes it was a lizard-bat-carrot from underground. Underwater definitely fits the bill of latter styled Lovecraftian horror.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:48 pm

Refresh my memory, was there ancient masonry underwater in the flick? I remember... maybe? If so, I'd be more amenable to MKS's position. But I don't remember if that was stonework or naturally fallen rock. (Honestly, I don't remember any evidence of ancient civilization; just the creatures themselves.)

This is a good time to plug William Hope Hodgson's quick and effective short horror novel The House on the Borderland, which was an enormous influence on HPL's twin fears of cross-species and cosmic inconsequence. Great siege horror story where a guy alternately fights off shrieking pig-men and dreams of interstellar voyaging.
NOTE:
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:49 pm

DaMU wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:48 pm
shrieking pig-men
sold
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:05 am

BBC Radio apparently did a dramatization of it back in 2007, and the four episodes are still available (a bit abridged, it seems).

PDF available here.
NOTE:
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:20 am

DaMU wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:05 am

PDF available here.
Thank you, sir :up:
Charles

Post by Charles » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:26 am

DaMU wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:48 pm
Refresh my memory, was there ancient masonry underwater in the flick? I remember... maybe? If so, I'd be more amenable to MKS's position. But I don't remember if that was stonework or naturally fallen rock. (Honestly, I don't remember any evidence of ancient civilization; just the creatures themselves.)
I'm almost entirely certain that there wasn't. They were in their base and it went to shit and they went to the other base that was infested.
Charles

Post by Charles » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:04 am

I'm rewatching parts of Underwater and I just realized the drilling company is called Tian. Clever.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:12 am

DaMU wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:44 pm
Wooley, regarding your spoiler:
The film never name-checks Cthulhu, but the director confirmed that the monster at the end is Cthulhu.
Apart from that design choice-- and from the hints of undersea madness, which sorta connects to HPL's stories of people driven mad by witnessing an overwhelming environment or threat-- there's nothing too Lovecraftian going on. To me, a "Lovecraftian" story is one that focuses either on the fear of cosmic inconsequence/indifference or the fear of monster/human cross-breeding. e.g. Event Horizon isn't Lovecraftian to me because its supernatural forces are invested in exploiting the sins and trauma of the characters. That feels very carnal and Christian-derived; HPL would've had no patience for those trivialities.

Charles, agreed that Benson/Moorehead have a good cosmic groove, and that many deliberate adaptations limit themselves to shallow evocation. The best HPL-like movies aren't even adaptations and aren't terribly intentional. Alien and The Thing. The X-Files: Fight the Future. Ghostbusters to me is (I'm sure unintentionally) a very funny riff on "The Call of Cthulhu" and "The Dunwich Horror," with a bit of "Nyarlathotep" in its big delicious shape-shifter.

Anyway, I say we should drop stock in HPL and reinvest that capital in Richard Matheson, Daphne du Maurier, and M. R. James. Little Howie's gotten enough attention!
Hm... I am looking forward to that re-edit of Event Horizon, though.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:26 am

Wooley wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:12 am
Hm... I am looking forward to that re-edit of Event Horizon, though.
Same!
NOTE:
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:06 pm

A cash reward for the first person that can help me find this before November.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:51 pm

The Ritual (2017) - B-

This was fine.
NOTE:
Charles

Post by Charles » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:58 pm

DaMU wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:51 pm
The Ritual (2017) - B-

This was fine.
The monster was real good. The rest of the movie doesn't ruin the monster.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:27 pm

Charles wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:58 pm
The monster was real good. The rest of the movie doesn't ruin the monster.
It's a pretty good monster. :up:

I liked how props from the guy's trauma invaded reality. There's an almost Silent Hill quality to that.
NOTE:
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:32 pm

What bugged me about the film was:
I interpreted the lead character's trauma/anxiety as an issue of toxic self-preservation, because he didn't risk his life to help his friend. But the film doesn't really reach a conclusion on that. You would think the climax would involve the hero evolving to the point that he'd risk his life to save a friend. But instead, the film decides his catharsis is that he will "stand up" to a threat (the monster) after his friends have all died. That didn't seem too satisfying to me. I think the film thinks that the lead's problem in the convenience store was that he just wasn't Tough Enough in general, and so he will finally be Tough by standing up to the monster.
Bruckner's a good director though. I enjoyed his segments in VHS and Southbound.
NOTE:
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:25 am

DaMU wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:32 pm
What bugged me about the film was:
I interpreted the lead character's trauma/anxiety as an issue of toxic self-preservation, because he didn't risk his life to help his friend. But the film doesn't really reach a conclusion on that. You would think the climax would involve the hero evolving to the point that he'd risk his life to save a friend. But instead, the film decides his catharsis is that he will "stand up" to a threat (the monster) after his friends have all died. That didn't seem too satisfying to me. I think the film thinks that the lead's problem in the convenience store was that he just wasn't Tough Enough in general, and so he will finally be Tough by standing up to the monster.
Bruckner's a good director though. I enjoyed his segments in VHS and Southbound.
I agree with your assessment. I was never really sold on
the convenience store bit. Like, I really didn't come away from it with the sense of, "Oh he could have saved his friend but was a big pussy and his friend died because of it" thing the movie was selling, it looked more to me like they walked into a bad, bad situation and were totally outgunned and his friend's murder was kind of an unexpected escalation of the violence AND if he had come out with that bottle, they would simply BOTH be dead. So I could understand him having some personal "what if" feelings, but the notion that he was somehow responsible for his friend's death is absurd and then the movie trades in that for basically the whole run-time... and then fails to resolve it satisfactorily.
A shame because most of the horror aspects of the movie were good to excellent.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:12 am

Wooley wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:25 am
I agree with your assessment. I was never really sold on
the convenience store bit. Like, I really didn't come away from it with the sense of, "Oh he could have saved his friend but was a big pussy and his friend died because of it" thing the movie was selling, it looked more to me like they walked into a bad, bad situation and were totally outgunned and his friend's murder was kind of an unexpected escalation of the violence AND if he had come out with that bottle, they would simply BOTH be dead. So I could understand him having some personal "what if" feelings, but the notion that he was somehow responsible for his friend's death is absurd and then the movie trades in that for basically the whole run-time... and then fails to resolve it satisfactorily.
A shame because most of the horror aspects of the movie were good to excellent.
Yeah, pretty much everything you said. I support the "what if" angle and the source of trauma and the open question of [when is the right time to stand? the right time to hide?], but it just never completely comes together.
NOTE:
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:29 am

Torgo wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:31 am
Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter, which is on Hulu, is surprisingly the first Hammer movie I've seen and now I want to see them all. Part horror movie and part Sherlock Holmes-style mystery, it makes up for its obviously low budget by being classily and professionally filmed and edited, by spinning a good yarn, being fun and scary in equal measure and by simply providing a bloody good time. Not to mention, the stoic, likely romance novel model Horst Janson's Kronos and John Cater, who makes his assistant Grost the next best thing to Van Helsing, work very well together. Kronos wins our favor off the bat by rescuing the wrongly imprisoned Carla (Carolina Munro), and while she's a worthy audience surrogate and despite Kronos's rousing climactic confession, I still don't feel like I really got to know him. Then again, I have the same problem with another multitasking hero who does not get a proper introduction in one of my favorite movies, The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension, so this could just be an inherent drawback in movies like these.

It's too bad that this is the only Captain Kronos adventure Hammer Films produced. Hopefully, now that the studio is back in business, we'll get a new one starring Michael Fassbender as Kronos and Udo Kier as Grost.
In a cooler world that would have been a franchise. Your idea for the remake sounds fantastic and I hope it happens.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:43 am

My September movie list overfloweth and I certainly have a lot of options for October but I'd like to know what the group thinks about a few that I'm not sure on:

Dr. Phibes Rises Again
Bride Of Re-Animator
The Brood
Rabid
God Told Me Too
Audrey Rose
Happy Birthday To Me
Graduation Day
Lust For A Vampire
3 From Hell
The Earth Dies Screaming
The Night Evelyn Came Out Of The Grave
Suicide Club
Dog Soldiers
Bird Box

Thanks in advance.
Rock

Post by Rock » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:02 am

Wooley wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:43 am
My September movie list overfloweth and I certainly have a lot of options for October but I'd like to know what the group thinks about a few that I'm not sure on:
Dr. Phibes Rises Again - This is less artful than the original and a lot more focused on delivering the goods, so to speak, but I had a good time with it.
Bride Of Re-Animator - I found it broader and less taut than the original, but still enjoyable.
The Brood - I need to give this a rewatch. I seem to like it a lot less than most, but my viewing was somewhat sullied by the Q&A after my screening where Cronenberg came off as really annoyed with the host.
Rabid - This is fine. Hardly Cronenberg's best but good enough Octobering.
God Told Me Too - This is great.
The Earth Dies Screaming - Pretty good, but the first ten minutes are easily the highlight.
Dog Soldiers - I'm in the minority, but I thought it was pretty lacking on the action and horror fronts. The Descent is a lot better.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:16 am

Bride Of Re-Animator - I didn't groove on this one.
Rabid - Eh.
God Told Me To - Love it, but it's very out there.
Dog Soldiers - Fun but not much more.
Bird Box - Blah.
NOTE:
daakmore

Post by daakmore » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:26 am

Anyone checked out Lovecraft Country yet, watched the first 2 episodes tonight and while I loved the first episode the second was pretty meh. I know both Jordan Peele and JJ Abrams production companies are involved and while obviously it's not like they are each producing individual episodes the first episode felt like Jordan Peele level ideas and commentary while the second really felt like JJ Abrams level content instead. I'll probably keep watching to see if it veers closer to the first in general quality but a couple more episodes like the second and I may abandon it.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:49 am

I've only seen God Told Me To, which is excellent, and Dog Soldiers, which is pretty good.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:00 am

Bride Of Re-Animator- Great fun
The Brood- The psychological side of body horror
Rabid- The better version of Shivers
Happy Birthday To Me- An enjoyable American giallo
Lust For A Vampire- the weakest of the thematic trilogy. Twins of Evil is the best and Vampire Lovers sits right in the middle.
3 From Hell- Gets better as it goes. First half is rough (Haig's illness REALLY fucked them) but by the time it essentially becomes the Wild Bunch with serial killers, I'm on board.
The Earth Dies Screaming- A nice little sci-fi horror. Nothing outstanding but it scratches the itch.
The Night Evelyn Came Out Of The Grave- Less memorable than its counterpart, Red Queen Kills Seven Times, but a fun little giallo.
Suicide Club- A peculiar film marred by outdated digital gore effects but I liked it overall.
Dog Soldiers- The second best werewolf movie
Bird Box- A bad movie with a decent score and great cast
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:24 pm

Rock wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:02 am
Dr. Phibes Rises Again - This is less artful than the original and a lot more focused on delivering the goods, so to speak, but I had a good time with it.
Bride Of Re-Animator - I found it broader and less taut than the original, but still enjoyable.
The Brood - I need to give this a rewatch. I seem to like it a lot less than most, but my viewing was somewhat sullied by the Q&A after my screening where Cronenberg came off as really annoyed with the host.
Rabid - This is fine. Hardly Cronenberg's best but good enough Octobering.
God Told Me Too - This is great.
The Earth Dies Screaming - Pretty good, but the first ten minutes are easily the highlight.
Dog Soldiers - I'm in the minority, but I thought it was pretty lacking on the action and horror fronts. The Descent is a lot better.
Thanks!
Yeah, the Descent is great, these others were all first-watches I want to know if are worth my time.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:25 pm

daakmore wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:26 am
Anyone checked out Lovecraft Country yet, watched the first 2 episodes tonight and while I loved the first episode the second was pretty meh. I know both Jordan Peele and JJ Abrams production companies are involved and while obviously it's not like they are each producing individual episodes the first episode felt like Jordan Peele level ideas and commentary while the second really felt like JJ Abrams level content instead. I'll probably keep watching to see if it veers closer to the first in general quality but a couple more episodes like the second and I may abandon it.
Well, the truth is the book is pretty uneven too with some of the stories being really fascinating (and the wraparound finally does pay off) and others being pretty underwhelming.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:27 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:00 am

Rabid- The better version of Shivers
SOLD! (I actually really like Shivers.)
Charles

Post by Charles » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:34 pm

Wooley wrote:
The Earth Dies Screaming
Suicide Club
The Earth Dies Screaming is okay, but it's ironically the quietest 50's sci-fi I've seen.

I was really put off by one scene in Suicide Club specifically, but I think it's worth watching because of how unique it is. That trumps everything else for me.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:07 am

The Hunt (2020 not the brilliant Danish film with Mikkelson) is well made, well acted, and very well paced and structured. It's also utterly obnoxious, misses every target it tries to satirize and comes off as a toothless plea for nothing while pretending to be profound. That's the Lindelof touch I'm used to!
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:24 pm

Wooley wrote:
The Brood and Rabid have my approval. Brood might be one for September .
I didn't like Dog Soldiers as much as its reputation suggested I would.
Suicide Club is not my favorite but the prequel, Noriko's Dinner Table, is excellent. So watch both.
Neither Dr Phibes 2 nor Audrey Rose left much of an impression on my memory.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:53 am

Unless I get Internet back soon Horrorfest is canceled for me. Oh well, acts of bloody angry God and whatnot.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:56 am

Wooley wrote:

Dr. Phibes Rises Again
Bride Of Re-Animator-Solid and fun sequel
The Brood-Near great and fucked up
Rabid-Awesome zombie movie
God Told Me Too-A classic that is still relevant
Audrey Rose
Happy Birthday To Me Decent slasher flick
Graduation Day
Lust For A Vampire
3 From Hell
The Earth Dies Screaming-Killer robots! I liked it.
The Night Evelyn Came Out Of The Grave
Suicide Club
Dog Soldiers-One of the best werewolf movies ever
Bird Box-Solid but limited

Thanks in advance.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:28 pm

God Told Me To: I've seen five minutes and I was honestly enraptured. Timing wasn't great so I didn't continue, but color me intrigued.

I might have seen Dog Soldiers a good while back. Thought it was alright.

Could have sworn that I've seen Bride of Re-Animator. Don't remember much, I guess it's been longer than Dog Soldiers.

I've seen The Ritual and honestly I found it kind of meh.

The atmosphere was creepy enough, the buildup was solid. But the characters felt and acted like they came out of a generic slasher and the ending didn't work for me.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:55 pm

It just came to my attention that I'm a fraud. For some reason, I crossed wires in my brain and confused Kiss of the Vampire (a lesser Hammer Vampire film) for Lust of A Vampire (which I've never seen). All these years, I thought I'd seen the trilogy but I'm missing Lust!!!

Well... Off to spend some money!
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:49 pm

Hopefully, I'll actually do a Scary Octoberfest this year. Realistically with 15 titles or so. These are the favorites as of late August:

Get Out (probably will have to rent it)
We Summon the Darkness
1 BR
Gerald's Game
Winchester
Crawl
Get Duked! (Surely, this is a slasher meets The Young Offenders, right?)
The Lighthouse
Child's Play (2019 one)
Midsommar
Hereditary
Overlook
Better Watch Out
Dave Made a Maze
One or two other titles (maybe looking for suggestions, in case something leaves last minute or something)
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:13 pm

Apex Predator wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:49 pm
Hopefully, I'll actually do a Scary Octoberfest this year. Realistically with 15 titles or so. These are the favorites as of late August:

Get Out (probably will have to rent it)
We Summon the Darkness
1 BR
Gerald's Game
Winchester
Crawl
Get Duked! (Surely, this is a slasher meets The Young Offenders, right?)
The Lighthouse
Child's Play (2019 one)
Midsommar
Hereditary
Overlook
Better Watch Out
Dave Made a Maze
One or two other titles (maybe looking for suggestions, in case something leaves last minute or something)
Looks like a good list to me. I've only seen Get Out and Gerald's Game, but I recommend both.
I haven't seen a lot of horror movies this year - I mean, the news on any given day is enough of a horror show - but here are the ones I've seen so far that I liked:

Der Samurai
Phenomena
The Abominable Dr. Phibes
The Blob (1988)
Viy
Last Great Movie Seen
Razorback (Mulcahy, 1984)
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:48 pm

Yeah, I've seen the 1988 Blob. It was pretty good.

Looking at my list, I do detect a lack of older horror (and maybe foreign horror) films. So I think Phenomena and Viy are in consideration now.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:20 pm

I also plan on watching Viy this October. Shieldmaiden's recommendation of it last year piqued my interest in it. I'll do that and, you know, finally watch Psycho.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:25 pm

Thinking about making this Halloween a spooky silent spectacular. It turns out there's a lot of silent horror I haven't seen (and I thought I was pretty studied!).

Destiny
The Haunted Castle
The Phantom Carriage

The Headless Horseman
One Exciting Night
The Monster
Wolf Blood
The Bat
The Bells
The Magician
The Student of Prague
The Gorilla
Alraune
The Terror

Bolded the ones that look especially promising. Alraune's plot sounds like it's been cribbed a bit from "The Great God Pan," and I'm all for that.
NOTE:
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:29 pm

Actually, I'm not really studied in giallos at all besides a handful of Bavas and Argentos, and I know some of yall are giallo experts.

What'd be the most essential movies from that movement?

(Good opportunity to impress us all, flex the ol' horror history guns.)
NOTE:
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:41 pm

DaMU wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:29 pm
Actually, I'm not really studied in giallos at all besides a handful of Bavas and Argentos, and I know some of yall are giallo experts.

What'd be the most essential movies from that movement?

(Good opportunity to impress us all, flex the ol' horror history guns.)
Blood and Black Lace
Hatchet for the Honeymoon
Bay of Blood (watch this last)
Bird with the Crystal Plumage
Deep Red
Tenebrae
Lizard in a Woman’s Skin
Don’t Torture a Duckling
The New York Ripper
Torso
The Strange Vice of Ms. Wardh
Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key
Who Saw Her Die?
Short Night of Glass Dolls
Night Train Murders
What Have You Done to Solonge
What Have They Done To Your Daughters

Essentially, I gave 3 each from my favorite giallo directors that fit the bill: Bava, Argento, Fulci, Martino, Lado and Dallamano.
Rock

Post by Rock » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:50 pm

A few from other directors:

The House with Laughing Windows
The Killer Must Kill Again
The Fifth Cord

MKS's list is a good primer, but I would add that Argento's filmography might benefit from chronological viewing, and that my favourites from Bava and Fulci are not their giallos, in case you have room for a few other films during the month.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:28 pm

Thanks!
NOTE: