Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Discuss anything you want.
Captain Terror

Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Post by Captain Terror » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:14 pm

This just in: London Calling is a solid record. You're welcome. :)

Favorite song: Death or Glory. I'm a sucker for a good riff.
HMs: I'm Not Down; The Card Cheat
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:40 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:14 pm

Had you never listened to this one either???

It's very good. Ive listened to it countless times, so I obviously have love for it. But it simply never comes up when I'm thinking about favorites.

Even though Calling is better, I'm probably even more fond of Sandanista due to its extravagances. Ive always been a fan of bands biting off more than they can chew. Sure there is lots of real goofy stuff on it, but it's just so loveable.

I don't like anything they did after that past one final single, This is England I think (I am terrible at titles)
Rock

Post by Rock » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:02 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:40 pm
I don't like anything they did after that past one final single
You don't like anything off Combat Rock? Whaaa
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:10 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Oh, I've listened to it a few times over the years in an attempt to "get it". This might be the first time I've given it my full attention from start to end though.
For example, the final song used to get some airplay down here back in the day but I never realized it was from this album till now. So it's possible I've never made it that far in the past.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:11 am

:(
Rock wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:02 am
I probably haven't listened to it since I bought it in highschool. But I never liked it then. I thought it was super clean and dull. I could be convinced to revisit though even though I think that is one of many of my records that was eventually sold or thrown in garbage
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:39 am

Flamin' Groovies deserve props. Even if they are dorks.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:43 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:35 pm
Also Guns of Brixton is the Clash song, bar none.
Love Guns Of Brixton but, because it is a cover AND is the only song sung by the bass player as opposed to Joe Strummer or Mick Jones, I cannot call it the Clash song.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:47 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:57 pm
Yeah, after I posted that I remembered I have some stuff that's technically punk even if I don't think of it as such. I love Television and I own Tim. Growing up in the 80s I came to associate the term "punk" with "hardcore". Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, mohawks, etc. So I have a hard time calling Television punk, even though I know they technically are.
Ah. We were very clean when I was growing up in the 80s about the difference between Hardcore and Punk. Sex Pistols, Clash, things like that were Punk, DK, Circle Jerks, Black Flag, etc., were Hardcore.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:51 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:14 pm

Death Or Glory is great. Rockin' song that highlights their strong song-craft.
I love The Card Cheat.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:54 pm

crumbsroom wrote:

It's very good. Ive listened to it countless times, so I obviously have love for it. But it simply never comes up when I'm thinking about favorites.

Even though Calling is better, I'm probably even more fond of Sandanista due to its extravagances. Ive always been a fan of bands biting off more than they can chew. Sure there is lots of real goofy stuff on it, but it's just so loveable.

I don't like anything they did after that past one final single, This is England I think (I am terrible at titles)
You don't like "Straight To Hell"?! :shock:
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:24 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:43 pm
Love Guns Of Brixton but, because it is a cover AND is the only song sung by the bass player as opposed to Joe Strummer or Mick Jones, I cannot call it the Clash song.
It's not a cover, and I don't give Strummer or Jones a monopoly on who can sing a Clash song. I'd consider Here Comes the Sun on the short list of what would be the Beatles song, and neither Lennon nor McCartney had much to do with that.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:39 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:24 pm
I'd consider Here Comes the Sun on the short list of what would be the Beatles song, and neither Lennon nor McCartney had much to do with that.
Have you heard the new outtake? Due to lack of bass, it's one of the tracks that I've suspected McCartney may be playing the drum part for. He definitely added an extra drum track for the middle eight section later.

Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:41 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:24 pm
It's not a cover, and I don't give Strummer or Jones a monopoly on who can sing a Clash song. I'd consider Here Comes the Sun on the short list of what would be the Beatles song, and neither Lennon nor McCartney had much to do with that.
You're right, the version I thought it was a cover of was actually a cover of it. As for the Harrison/Simonon comparison, where the latter was the primary writer and vocalist on only one song by The Clash, that seems a bit of a stretch, but as "Here Comes The Sun" sounds decidedly more of a George song than a "Beatles song", your point is taken.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:50 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:39 pm
Have you heard the new outtake? Due to lack of bass, it's one of the tracks that I've suspected McCartney may be playing the drum part for. He definitely added an extra drum track for the middle eight section later.

That doesn't sound like Ringo on drums so you could be right.

It is through the lack of bass here that I'm really appreciating how wonderful McCartney's playing is on the original track
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:56 pm

Wooley wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:41 am
You're right, the version I thought it was a cover of was actually a cover of it. As for the Harrison/Simonon comparison, where the latter was the primary writer and vocalist on only one song by The Clash, that seems a bit of a stretch, but as "Here Comes The Sun" sounds decidedly more of a George song than a "Beatles song", your point is taken.
In fairness I would probably list Police and Thieves as the second mostest Clash track, which is very definitely a cover.

Basically, who cares who wrote it. Or sung it. Meh. It's clash regardless as long as it moves and shakes like the clash move and shake.

I am generally partial to Clash playing with reggae. That's where I like them most. White Man at Hammersmith would probably round out my top 3. This is rare area where I am consistent across the board
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:21 am

Rock wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:02 am
"Rock The Casbah" is an unmitigated classic.

crumbsroom wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:50 pm
It is through the lack of bass here that I'm really appreciating how wonderful McCartney's playing is on the original track
McCartney, for all his fame for his other obvious talents, somehow remains a chronically underrated bassist.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:16 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:56 pm
In fairness I would probably list Police and Thieves as the second mostest Clash track, which is very definitely a cover.

Basically, who cares who wrote it. Or sung it. Meh. It's clash regardless as long as it moves and shakes like the clash move and shake.

I am generally partial to Clash playing with reggae. That's where I like them most. White Man at Hammersmith would probably round out my top 3. This is rare area where I am consistent across the board
"White Man In Hammersmith Palais" is one of my favorite songs.
The whole story of how that song is actually NOT from The Clash's first album and was actually recorded like a year or more after the album's release for Give 'Em Enough Rope, but was actually excluded from that album as well due to length and was later added to the American version of the album two years later was a real shocker to me. I mean, the whole story of how what I've always known (as an American) as their eponymous debut is nothing close to what was released in England in '77 is just weird to me. The album I have always thought of as this classic debut was actually cobbled together from the original release and a number of subsequent singles by the record company two years after the actual debut album by the record-company from songs they thought would sell better.
To me, The Clash blasted onto the scene with "Clash City Rockers", the opening track from their first album. But that song wasn't even ON the album when it was released, and neither were "Remote Control", "Jail Guitar Doors", "I Fought The Law", or my beloved "White Man..."
I suspect, based on our conversation, you probably already knew all this, but I won't lie to you, it has really changed the way I think about that first album and I have been putting together a playlist of what the album was actually like (actually opening with "Janie Jones", which is totally fine with me) so I can have that experience.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:19 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:21 am

McCartney, for all his fame for his other obvious talents, somehow remains a chronically underrated bassist.
I think that has changed a lot over the last few years.
I read all the time now about how great McCartney was, I read interviews with bass players from all different genres and styles jumping to his name very early in their list of inspirations and best bass players, and I think people really study his work now.
But even just a few years ago this was not the case.
Just like Ringo.
Pretty much everybody who is a decent musician or has good ears agrees now that Ringo was a... Starr? I mean, really, Ringo is one of the best ever and people really study him now. But for whatever reason, like Paul, he was always ignored and even ridiculed for not being more like Ginger Baker or Mitch Mitchell or even more up front. Ringo is what you dream of from a drummer... perfect.
Paul, as a bassist, is transcendent, and will be studied for decades by real musicians.
Stu

Post by Stu » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:58 pm

But could McCartney play this?:

Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:43 pm

Wooley wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:19 pm
I read all the time now about how great McCartney was, I read interviews with bass players from all different genres and styles jumping to his name very early in their list of inspirations and best bass players, and I think people really study his work now.
Yeah, I'm probably still sore about Quincy Jones calling him "the worst bass player" last year without a lot of people coming to his defense. It's actually kinda funny. I'm not certain, but it's interesting that McCartney also had turned down a proposal from Peggy Lipton shortly before she married Quincy Jones. I'm sure that had nothing to do with Quincy's feelings on the matter.

Wooley wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:19 pm
Just like Ringo.
Pretty much everybody who is a decent musician or has good ears agrees now that Ringo was a... Starr? I mean, really, Ringo is one of the best ever and people really study him now. But for whatever reason, like Paul, he was always ignored and even ridiculed for not being more like Ginger Baker or Mitch Mitchell or even more up front. Ringo is what you dream of from a drummer... perfect.
I agree. Starr is the epitome of rock solid. But it's also a fact that McCartney developed a terrible habit of staying late in the studio and re-dubbing the drum parts for some recordings, and that fact has made it a bit of a game for people to try to guess which ones are which since neither Starr nor McCartney are eager (or perhaps cognizant) to reveal the truth. The reason why Starr quit the group, temporarily, in the middle of the White Album sessions was because, listening to playbacks, he noticed that some tracks that he spent hours recording had someone else's performance on them. It's one of the shittier things that McCartney did in the group. And, by extention, it's created a fog over Starr's talents during the '67-'69 period so that a lot of his great playing has the unintended and unearned astrisk next to them: "Maybe it's Paul".
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:43 am

Ive always known the tracks were very different on the UK release of Clash but have never really bothered to hunt it down since I'm used to what I got even if I often here the UK version is the preferred one by many.

Starr is a great drummer. He adds to the dna of those songs. I get annoyed by those who treat Ringo as disposable. It's some ignorant ass shit. But when it comes to such drummers who don't worry thselves too much over flash, Watts and Helm are my obvious favs.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:43 am

Stu wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:58 pm
But could McCartney play this?:

Who cares?
Sorry, that comes off harsher than I intended.
"Can so-and-so play this?" is one of my least-favorite discussions in all of internet-dom. My counter-argument is always like, "Can your boy slow down his masturbation or self-congratulation long enough to even conceive once in their whole playing career the heart-breaking bass lines in 'You Never Give Me Your Money'"?
And then it gets ugly.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:54 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:43 pm
Yeah, I'm probably still sore about Quincy Jones calling him "the worst bass player" last year without a lot of people coming to his defense. It's actually kinda funny. I'm not certain, but it's interesting that McCartney also had turned down a proposal from Peggy Lipton shortly before she married Quincy Jones. I'm sure that had nothing to do with Quincy's feelings on the matter.

I agree. Starr is the epitome of rock solid. But it's also a fact that McCartney developed a terrible habit of staying late in the studio and re-dubbing the drum parts for some recordings, and that fact has made it a bit of a game for people to try to guess which ones are which since neither Starr nor McCartney are eager (or perhaps cognizant) to reveal the truth. The reason why Starr quit the group, temporarily, in the middle of the White Album sessions was because, listening to playbacks, he noticed that some tracks that he spent hours recording had someone else's performance on them. It's one of the shittier things that McCartney did in the group. And, by extention, it's created a fog over Starr's talents during the '67-'69 period so that a lot of his great playing has the unintended and unearned astrisk next to them: "Maybe it's Paul".
Quincy was a great producer, but he has motivations for his opinion, whatever they may be. McCartney's harmonic choices on bass were unlike anything anyone I've heard do in rock music before him. I'm a guitarist and I still find McCartney's bass deeply inspiring. Was he "technically" (as in physical technique), up to the abilities of some of the bassists Jones used? Was he a trendsetter in his own time? No, he was a musician first, a songwriter and composer. It would take decades for his genius to become apparent.
I do not actually like Paul McCartney, he's probably my least-favorite Beatle, but his genius... I mean, it's just kind of stupid for someone to try to argue against it.

As for Ringo, I know all the songs aren't his and I've listened to some of Paul's stuff, but listen to all the stuff we know is his. I have never listened to a Beatles' song and thought, man, these drums aren't exactly what this song calls for. That is Ringo's gift and it's what makes him better than much more technical drummers. He has always had an amazing ear for what a song needs and that is what he plays and that is what puts him in the rarest of air.

Lots of people love technique. And technique is lovely, I love it myself. But composition, musicality, a great sense of melody and harmony and rhythm are what make great musicians. A whole lot of people brag about their technique or the technique of "their students" (oh my god, does this bullshit go on and on in online discussions, "my students could play circles around so-and-so" :roll: ) or the technique of their favorite player over someone like a David Gilmour or a Jerry Garcia (or any number of great melodic players), but where are technique-boys' songs, eh? Where are their Earth-shattering melodies that make people come back time and again? Ringo played melodies on drums with perfect rhythm. McCartney played bass as a gorgeous driver of melody and harmony and rhythm. That's why they're great and online troll's favorite technique-boy has one album only people that live in his niche-cave have ever heard.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:27 am

OMG do I have to finish this?
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:30 am

My eyes don't want to waste any more time with this fucking movie.

They stare at the floor. The table. The keyboard, thinking about all of the different words for boredom that can be found there.
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:59 am

I'm guessing this is NOT your favourite Fulci.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:27 pm

Rock wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:59 am
I'm guessing this is NOT your favourite Fulci.
SO BORING!!!!!!!!!?