Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Discuss anything you want.
Takoma1

Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:05 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:40 am
Rewatched Curtains

I am no longer hung up on the things I was hung up on the first time I watched it.

There's lots to talk about here. So much it makes me too tired to even try.

It should join the short list of greatest almost completely forgotten horror movies.
Correct.

Curtains is awesome.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:31 am

Frightener.

It's not a good movie. I should hate it. I don't.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:30 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:40 am
Rewatched Curtains

I am no longer hung up on the things I was hung up on the first time I watched it.

There's lots to talk about here. So much it makes me too tired to even try.

It should join the short list of greatest almost completely forgotten horror movies.
You watch the proper transfer?

Also, how about that imagery of the poster/cover art...

Tried to post it but the link wouldn't work so I gave up.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:49 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:30 pm
You watch the proper transfer?

Also, how about that imagery of the poster/cover art...

Tried to post it but the link wouldn't work so I gave up.
Definitely did not watch proper transfer. Whatever copy I got years ago was at the time the only available version. If I ever can get my hands on a proper copy, I'll probably invest in it.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:58 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:49 pm
Definitely did not watch proper transfer. Whatever copy I got years ago was at the time the only available version. If I ever can get my hands on a proper copy, I'll probably invest in it.
The copies online tend to run between $15 and $25 depending on where you shop. I think you'll appreciate it even more if you get the chance.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:41 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:31 am
Frightener.

It's not a good movie. I should hate it. I don't.
Peter Jackson's The Frighteners? If so, I'm not crazy about it either.
Last Great Movie Seen
Loves of a Blonde (Forman, 1965)
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:31 pm

Torgo wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:41 pm
No I do hate frighteners.

I actually meant the slasher clown netflix Terrifier. It's pretty vile and more than I wanted on the violence Dept but I'm surprised I didn't hate it for its obvious provocations.

There was almost something there.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:01 pm

Torgo wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:41 pm
WHAT?!!!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:02 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:31 pm
No I do hate frighteners.

I actually meant the slasher clown netflix Terrifier. It's pretty vile and more than I wanted on the violence Dept but I'm surprised I didn't hate it for its obvious provocations.

There was almost something there.
I hated it. Hated it. I'll have more to say on the subject later today.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:43 pm

Wooley wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:01 pm
WHAT?!!!
I'm afraid so. I don't hate it, but I'm pretty meh about it. Besides being kind of a mixed bag, it's not as scary as it should be, and I think one reason is the CGI. Like the CGI in the Star Wars prequels, it takes me out of the moment and leaves me cold.
I do like Jeffrey Combs' crazy FBI agent, however. I wish the movie had been more about him.
Last Great Movie Seen
Loves of a Blonde (Forman, 1965)
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:38 pm

Wooley wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:02 pm
I actually kinda liked it, but your rants are always a fun read so I'm looking forward to this. :)
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:44 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:38 pm
I actually kinda liked it, but your rants are always a fun read so I'm looking forward to this. :)
Thanks.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:57 pm

Wooley wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:02 pm
It's probably a worthwhile film to hate. It's not good and there isn't much redeeming about it, even as exploitation.

If I was to single out what made me not completely hate it though, it was probably the scene in the diner. There seemed to be genuine tension in that moment. It gave me hope for something more. It didn't deliver on this though. It degenerated.

But still, somehow, didn't hate.

Although I definitely did hate that scene.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:13 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:57 pm
It's probably a worthwhile film to hate. It's not good and there isn't much redeeming about it, even as exploitation.

If I was to single out what made me not completely hate it though, it was probably the scene in the diner. There seemed to be genuine tension in that moment. It gave me hope for something more. It didn't deliver on this though. It degenerated.

But still, somehow, didn't hate.

Although I definitely did hate that scene.
I feel the same way. This is not my thing at all, and the violence definitely went beyond my comfort level but I was inexplicably won over by it in the end in spite of myself.
I'm definitely not offended if someone else hates it though, which is why I'm looking forward to Wooley's take on it.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:43 pm

Well, I go over my vitriol for it in some great detail, more than it deserves and yet still somehow not enough, in my entry on it.
And yeah, fuck that scene. Detestable shit. Made me wanna punch Leone in his fucking women-hating face.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:18 pm

The Frighteners is great.

Terrifier isn't but it's got Art the Clown and effectively harrowing violence. Plus, the lead looks like Neve Campbell, whom I miss seeing in horror movies.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:28 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:18 pm
The Frighteners is great.

Terrifier isn't but it's got Art the Clown and effectively harrowing violence. Plus, the lead looks like Neve Campbell, whom I miss seeing in horror movies.
The violence is harrowing simply in concept of what is being done to the girl. It's easy think tank "what's the worst thing we can do to a human body". The execution is pretty lazy though. Not that I really wanted a director who could make such a scene 'pop'. But there was little about how that was filmed which added to the horrible concept. It just knew it could make you wince because it dared to do that. I find that kind of violence manipulative and basic and just way too ugly for little reason .

Art the clown has potential as a villian. He just needed a better movie that this.

That said, early scenes definitely crackle with menace.

And ugh frighteners. Will never get the love for that flufffy dud.
Rock

Post by Rock » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:05 am

As far as slasher movies with actresses that look like but aren't Neve Campbell go, Terrifier is definitely better than Cheerleader Camp.

Guys, do NOT watch Cheerleader Camp. Not sober, at least.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:16 am

Rock wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:05 am
As far as slasher movies with actresses that look like but aren't Neve Campbell go, Terrifier is definitely better than Cheerleader Camp.

I know I've seen Cheerleader Camp.

Maybe even twice.

Actually definitely twice.

That's all I have to offer.
Rump

Post by Rump » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:02 am

Rock wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:05 am

Do you mean the 1988 one?
Rock

Post by Rock » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:39 am

Yup.

Maybe don't watch the other one either lol
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Rump

Post by Rump » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:07 pm

Rock wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:39 am
Yup.

Maybe don't watch the other one either lol
Awwww 1988 one is cheesey fun, plus betsy russell and that chick from breakin' :P
Rock

Post by Rock » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:39 pm

I liked when Ms. Breakin' (that's now her name) tried to eat a hot dog in her gator costume and later breakdanced in the same costume. Those were the only good parts.
____
Blog!
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:55 pm

Is this movie a fair indictment of the rise of the worst punk rock cliches and why all of it deserved to be pushed into quick irrelevance?

Or is it a horribly obnoxious romanticized tribute to everything that was awful and worth ridiculing about the genre.

Either way, as long as one is unconcerned about how much or how little it gets about punk rock, it will always matter as a film through the sheer viscera of its poetic images, humor and performances (well, not all of them).
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:09 am

Sid Vicious fired Viv Albertine from Flowers of Romance for playing like a girl, so Sid is not my favorite punk rocker.

There was a story by Dee Dee Ramone that Sid Vicious once used CBGB toilet water for his hypodermic needle. Just shook it cold and shot it up. Hepatitis is so hard core.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:19 am

I always laugh when I think of that time Freddy Mercury called Sid Vicious "Simon Ferocious", and Sid didn't like it at all.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:21 pm

Overwhelmingly, having been into his story since the mid 1980s, I have come to think of Sid Vicious as nothing more than a talentless, almost -inexplicably glorified, obnoxious little cunt.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:25 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:09 am

There was a story by Dee Dee Ramone that Sid Vicious once used CBGB toilet water for his hypodermic needle. Just shook it cold and shot it up. Hepatitis is so hard core.
I am currently rereading Please Kill Me, so I was recently reacquainted with this tasty nugget.

I'm not fan of Vicious. And is anyone really who actually knows how little he did or contributed to anything (there are a couple of mildly amusing interviews out there, and I don't disregard his rewrite of My Way). But other than this there is just so little of him to even contemplate. He has an almost phantom presence on pop culture, omnipresent but invisible and irrelevant to the real world. Even as a symbol he is hardly of much worth either. He is simply a sad tabloid sleaze story. Which is why I never can quite tell what Cox's intentions are with this film. It seems to celebrate the childishly nihilistic romance of what he and Nancy stood for. But it also seems to also be mocking the whole scene itself as well, with its boldly empty gestures of rebellion and unwillingness to take the players in the band particularly seriously. When I first saw the film at about 13 its anger and irreverence spoke to me strongly, it was almost a representation of how I hoped adulthood would be. Tragic and romantic and exciting and fleeting. But on more mature rewatches it's impossible not to see it portraying this whole cultural movement as a giant farce (which it obviously eventually became, at least through how it was depicted in media).

I don't necessarily say any of this as a criticism of the film. I like its contradictions. And even when those contradictions are kind of embarassing, there is so much that is so mysterious and sad and perversely funny about the film that it rises above its muddled message.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:19 am

A lot of this goes well beyond Cox's film (which I agree works best as farce), and into the larger farce of Decline of the Western Civilization, and generally my aversion to this particular trunk of the punk tree. I like, and somewhat romanticize, the idea of CGBGs and "punk" as patronizing the geeks and dorks, the Patti Smiths, Jonathan Richmans, Tom Verlaine types. Where a group of glue-sniffing greasers coexist with Dolls and Dicks and Dead Boys. The Sex Pistols definitely left a mark, sprayed their stain, and that's fine for the feral burst they represent in the context of all of these different strains of rockonoclasm, but they also, unfortunately, represent where I jump off the train. I feel similarly about Darby Crash as I do Sid. There's definitely a point where something got flushed.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:48 am

Well, I think The Sex Pistols, as a whole, were great, legendary. I think Never Mind The Bollocks has to be included on any broad list I would make of best albums.
But Sid was a fucking joke. He couldn't play. Steve Jones actually played most of his parts on record. He had one song, which was just a rebellious parody of a classic song. And he was just a complete shit.
But The Sex Pistols were fucking awesome on the record(s) and in their singular brand of anarchistic youth rebellion. My hat's off to Malcolm McLaren for having the savvy to catch lightning in a bottle and generate something that is still a moment 40 years later.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:52 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:19 am
A lot of this goes well beyond Cox's film (which I agree works best as farce), and into the larger farce of Decline of the Western Civilization, and generally my aversion to this particular trunk of the punk tree. I like, and somewhat romanticize, the idea of CGBGs and "punk" as patronizing the geeks and dorks, the Patti Smiths, Jonathan Richmans, Tom Verlaine types. Where a group of glue-sniffing greasers coexist with Dolls and Dicks and Dead Boys. The Sex Pistols definitely left a mark, sprayed their stain, and that's fine for the feral burst they represent in the context of all of these different strains of rockonoclasm, but they also, unfortunately, represent where I jump off the train. I feel similarly about Darby Crash as I do Sid. There's definitely a point where something got flushed.
I much prefer the classic punk era as well, but I do selectively like some of what ended up branching into hardcore. Germs would definitely be one that I appreciate, even though I can't say I listen to them all that much. Darby Crash for me, while symbolizing pretty identical nonsense ad Vicious, at least brought a sense of real pain and despair to his band. Vicious never seemed more than a fashion accessory. The Germs performance in Western is obvs awful at a next level, particularly Crash. But as bad as the performance is, it's transfixing to me as almost performance art. The level of abandon in their playing and singing is so off the rails it goes past absurdity to almost something affecting. And after a recent listen to their debut album, they were a much better band than they get credit for, and Crashes lyrics are weirdly elegant beneath the growling. I think they are one of the few very good hardcore bands (Bad Brains obviously being the greatest , Flipper the weirdest and Black Flag having one of my favorite guitarists in Ginn).

There is just so much boring and repetitive garbage in hardcore it probably does deserve a bad rap. No sub genre can really amount to much when its dogmas are so stiflingly inflexible. But that handful of bands that really shine regardless if the limitations are kinda special to me.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:59 am

Wooley wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:48 am
Well, I think The Sex Pistols, as a whole, were great, legendary. I think Never Mind The Bollocks has to be included on any broad list I would make of best albums.
But Sid was a fucking joke. He couldn't play. Steve Jones actually played most of his parts on record. He had one song, which was just a rebellious parody of a classic song. And he was just a complete shit.
But The Sex Pistols were fucking awesome on the record(s) and in their singular brand of anarchistic youth rebellion. My hat's off to Malcolm McLaren for having the savvy to catch lightning in a bottle and generate something that is still a moment 40 years later.
Vicious really had almost nothing to do with their recorded output in any way, so it's hard to argue in any way for his defense.

The album is good. I like it. It's definitely more than just its historical import. But I don't think I'd ever rank it among one of the greats.

Lydon is an obvious star on the record though
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:58 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:59 am
Vicious really had almost nothing to do with their recorded output in any way, so it's hard to argue in any way for his defense.

The album is good. I like it. It's definitely more than just its historical import. But I don't think I'd ever rank it among one of the greats.

Lydon is an obvious star on the record though
Well, as I think about it I realize I'm using the set of criteria "music quality + historical significance" and not just musical quality.
London Calling is obviously a much better album. Now that's an album that probably makes my top-10 every time I make the list.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:20 am

Wooley wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:58 am
Well, as I think about it I realize I'm using the set of criteria "music quality + historical significance" and not just musical quality.
London Calling is obviously a much better album. Now that's an album that probably makes my top-10 every time I make the list.
I probably like London Calling about the same (maybe just slightly more). Calling is obviously more ambitious, but there is a particular spark in the playing on Bullocks. There is fire there. A lot of the Pistols songwriting lags though, and while that fire makes up for that, there are probably only 5 tops 6 real standout tracks. Calling is way more consistent and has much deeper treasures. I would probably take the Clashes first album over either of them (or any number of lesser known punk or postpunk bands).

It is also possible I just listened to both of those albums much too much in highschool and they have gone a little mute on my ears over the years. Either way they are both top notch even if I only will occassionally listen to either of them anymore.

That said, its not like I don't think historical significance is an important ingredient in thinking about the value of any art. So is understanding the cultures they were born from. I'm not terribly interested in engaging in any kind of art within some kind of vacuum where I only judge it for its more straightforward or direct merits. I like the thought of art as the prism through which many other thing refract when passing through. Or maybe culture is the prism and art is what is refracted. Or blablablaa.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:18 am

I think Bullocks holds up for its historical context, but I still don't think it's great. Personally, I'd rather listen to some of the live boots where you can get a sense of their onstage menace, but I don't do that very often either.

Those first three PIL albums though.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:19 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:18 am
I think Bullocks holds up for its historical context, but I still don't think it's great. Personally, I'd rather listen to some of the live boots where you can get a sense of their onstage menace, but I don't do that very often either.

Those first three PIL albums though.
Is Flowers of Romance the third? If so, yes. This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:23 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:19 am
Is Flowers of Romance the third? If so, yes. This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about.
Yup, right after Metal Box. And they were good for a few more, but those three were fire and smote.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:15 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:20 am
I probably like London Calling about the same (maybe just slightly more). Calling is obviously more ambitious, but there is a particular spark in the playing on Bullocks. There is fire there. A lot of the Pistols songwriting lags though, and while that fire makes up for that, there are probably only 5 tops 6 real standout tracks. Calling is way more consistent and has much deeper treasures. I would probably take the Clashes first album over either of them (or any number of lesser known punk or postpunk bands).

It is also possible I just listened to both of those albums much too much in highschool and they have gone a little mute on my ears over the years. Either way they are both top notch even if I only will occassionally listen to either of them anymore.

That said, its not like I don't think historical significance is an important ingredient in thinking about the value of any art. So is understanding the cultures they were born from. I'm not terribly interested in engaging in any kind of art within some kind of vacuum where I only judge it for its more straightforward or direct merits. I like the thought of art as the prism through which many other thing refract when passing through. Or maybe culture is the prism and art is what is refracted. Or blablablaa.
Well, I like everything The Clash ever did, pretty much, but I think London Calling towers over probably the entire punk-rock movement as simply a Great Album Of All-Time.
I Remember when I was younger and subscribed to the physical Rolling Stone Magazine (when it had brilliant essays and was considered to still be culturally significant) and they named London Calling the best album of the 1980s (because it was released in the US in 1980). And I was very happy.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:48 pm

This conversation inspired me to listen to Bollocks last night (possibly for the first time, can't remember), and I kind of liked it. Much more tuneful and competent than I'd been led to expect. Not that being tuneful and competent was the point, but still... It's a record I'd listen to again.

Not really a punk guy, though. The only two bands I've fully embraced have been Husker Du and Minutemen. Every few years I give The Clash a shot but haven't made a connection yet. One day.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:07 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:48 pm
This conversation inspired me to listen to Bollocks last night (possibly for the first time, can't remember), and I kind of liked it. Much more tuneful and competent than I'd been led to expect. Not that being tuneful and competent was the point, but still... It's a record I'd listen to again.

Not really a punk guy, though. The only two bands I've fully embraced have been Husker Du and Minutemen. Every few years I give The Clash a shot but haven't made a connection yet. One day.
Yes, definitely more tuneful than one would expect, that's one of the reasons it's a favorite of mine, there are good songs with some actual hooks and the guitars are pretty darn good. I give Steve Jones and Malcolm McLaren a lot of credit for pulling that album off.

As for The Clash, try putting on the song "Rudie Can't Fail" just cranked up.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:12 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:48 pm

If you like Minutemen and Husker, Replacements are the other entry point in that particular scene. Let it Be and Tim (barring the shit production on this one)

I also don't know how familiar u are with Television, but yeah, Television
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:35 pm

Also Guns of Brixton is the Clash song, bar none.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:57 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:12 pm
If you like Minutemen and Husker, Replacements are the other entry point in that particular scene. Let it Be and Tim (barring the shit production on this one)

I also don't know how familiar u are with Television, but yeah, Television
Yeah, after I posted that I remembered I have some stuff that's technically punk even if I don't think of it as such. I love Television and I own Tim. Growing up in the 80s I came to associate the term "punk" with "hardcore". Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, mohawks, etc. So I have a hard time calling Television punk, even though I know they technically are.

What I was trying to say, I think, is that I'm not drawn to the shouting 'n' thrashing variety. I own the early Husker stuff but it's their later stuff that I listen to most. And I'd mentally lumped the Sex Pistols in with that crowd so I was pleased to find the album wasn't that.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:05 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:35 pm
Also Guns of Brixton is the Clash song, bar none.
Wooley wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:07 pm
As for The Clash, try putting on the song "Rudie Can't Fail" just cranked up.
Noted!
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:26 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:57 pm
Yeah, after I posted that I remembered I have some stuff that's technically punk even if I don't think of it as such. I love Television and I own Tim. Growing up in the 80s I came to associate the term "punk" with "hardcore". Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, mohawks, etc. So I have a hard time calling Television punk, even though I know they technically are.

What I was trying to say, I think, is that I'm not drawn to the shouting 'n' thrashing variety. I own the early Husker stuff but it's their later stuff that I listen to most. And I'd mentally lumped the Sex Pistols in with that crowd so I was pleased to find the album wasn't that.
This is why labels for music are generally awful. Initially used to describe movements of like-minded but ultimately diverse artists, they inevitably become dogmatic and attract only the most fascistic creative thinkers. Dogma and art are a terrible mix. This can't help but lead the worst examples of any given group defining a sound. Therefore keeping passerbys out, and further isolating and worsening whatever the genre once supposedly stood for with every passing generation.

Punk really should be defined most as a spirit above anything else. Nothing more
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:49 pm

Let me see if I can approximate an early punk primer...

crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:12 am

After rereading Please Kill Me I figured I'll start reading another music genre bio, Lord's of Chaos.

So far it is written like garbage, but I will continue reading because I am fascinated with the genre and the more scandalous stories associated with it.

I fucking hate this author though. Ugh
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:14 am

Where is that Resident song from, JJ? Im pretty sure I have like there first seven or eight records and that seems zero percent familiar
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:19 am

As for the shouting and thrashing element of punk, Flipper are not always an easy band to recommend, so I'll recommend them. There is way more fun and legitimate decadence and texture to both their shouting and thrashing than in most hardcore

Their first two records are equally good, but I'm not sure what particular songs are most indicative of what they do. Sex Bomb is clearly their most famous one but it's also Sex Bomb.

Shrugs
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:52 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:14 am
Where is that Resident song from, JJ? Im pretty sure I have like there first seven or eight records and that seems zero percent familiar
Haha. I cheated a little. That's from their 1971 Baby Sex tape.

This one is still rare, but more fair since I think it's now a bonus on the Meet The Residents CD.