Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Discuss anything you want.
crumbsroom

Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue May 05, 2020 8:28 pm

The more Ozu I watch, and the more I come to love his films, it seems the less and less I am able to distinguish each of them from each other. Nearly all appear to be quietly observed domestic dramas. People age. They struggle with the notion of marriage. There are divisions in the cultural norms between the old and the young. They hope for status and success at work. And as cracks in their life emerge, they are generally polite as they observe those cracks serenely and philosophically. And if they on the rare occassion do not have the time to be polite, this will usually be denoted less by any kind of histrionics and more of a simple 'hmph' at the end of their complaint.

I only just watched this one last night, and it has already been gently absorbed by my experiences with all of his other films. One could complain that for a man who made so many films (of which I presume the vast majority are exactly as I described above) what would be the point in needing to seek them all out. While I think it is likely I have watched a few of them twice and had no idea I had watched them before, and assume I have seen others I have not after reading the synopsis on the back of the box, what Ozu offers isn't variety. What he offers is a world. It is a calm place we can always dip our toes into, and it will always be a strangely exotic lukewarm sensation. He can break hearts, but it happens so slowly you won't realize it until the final scene fades. He can make you understand a world so far away, almost completely removed from Western cinematic conventions, that by not moving very much and just allowing you to watch, unveils the same emotional truths just behind entirely different customs and dispositions.

I can't separate The Taste of Green Tea Over Rice from any of his other films. I'm not even entirely sure which of his other films I've seen, but it's been a lot. But undoubtedly I will be called back to him. And I will assuredly be able to apply what I've written above to it as well. And that's okay. Because everyone needs a home they know they can go back to, and it's good to find a proper supper waiting on the table for you, tasting like it always has, like mom used to make.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed May 06, 2020 4:36 pm

I like movies that guzzle their rum. This guzzles, then farts, then fucks the empty bottle. Is this a sea shanty version of Persona? Nope. Not really at all. But it plays with existential dread, the fragility of identity, cabin fever and tentacles. I think tentacles were in Persona.

This is my kind of horror movie where the scenario alone feels miserable and alone enough even before you bring anything otherworldy into the proceedings. Two men, sitting in a lighthouse, sharing hostile company in shadows and the stench of eachothers bodies. I would have probably really liked it if it just remained on this plane of reality, but thankfully Eggers also wants to kick us in the third eye a bit.

Nice nice nice. I liked it even better than The Witch.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed May 06, 2020 4:38 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:56 pm
As soon as I can scrape the creep from my skin after watching I Dismember Mama, I plan on writing something about it. Even if it might not deserve to even be acknowledged. I'm legitimately unsure what to do with such a thing, which for me is, of course, the appeal.
Nope, still scraping. Still too creeped.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed May 06, 2020 4:41 pm

I think I still prefer The Witch, but Lighthouse is also really good. Eggers is definitely a director whose name I keep an eye out for.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed May 06, 2020 4:49 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:36 pm
This is my kind of horror movie where the scenario alone feels miserable and alone enough even before you bring anything otherworldy into the proceedings.
I appreciate this description of a certain kind of horror film.

I've been holding off on The Lighthouse because I wanted to do it as a movie night, but I might just have to go ahead and check it out.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed May 06, 2020 7:06 pm

I think the Lighthouse was my favorite of last year.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Wed May 06, 2020 7:35 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:36 pm
Nice nice nice. I liked it even better than The Witch.
The Witch was my jam, and if The Lighthouse had turned out to be "The Witch, but with mermaids" I would've been completely fine with it.
But I was VERY impressed that Eggers didn't settle for that and gave us this instead. I think it showed a lot of growth from the previous film. Looking forward to the next one.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed May 06, 2020 7:52 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:35 pm
The Witch was my jam, and if The Lighthouse had turned out to be "The Witch, but with mermaids" I would've been completely fine with it.
But I was VERY impressed that Eggers didn't settle for that and gave us this instead. I think it showed a lot of growth from the previous film. Looking forward to the next one.
The Witch is great in pretty much any sense. But that said, it remains the kind of movie that I really admire more than enjoyed. Not that I didn't enjoy it, but my admiration for it far exceeded the enjoyment. I felt it should be my jam more, so to speak. Honestly, not sure why it wasn't. Maybe more rewatches will get me entirely on board.

The Lighthouse lives and breathes in my festering wheelhouse though. And while I admired it just as much as The Witch, I was deeply invested in nearly every moment of it. It's possible because there were glimmers or demented humor beneath its beauty and rot. The Witch was terribly stone faced (not necessarily a bad thing, but just a point of difference)

The Lighthouse is likely my favorite modern horror since The Babadook. And I liked this more.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed May 06, 2020 9:04 pm

I had meant to write about this a few weeks ago, but I was deep into the quarantine beer, and fingers became momentarily detached for typing (or so he says as sipping on a raspberry flavored quarantine beer not yet bothered with for obvious reasons)

As to being so very very long ago, memories have faded. But I've been left with what is your standard narrative of small town boy meets unforgiving urban nightmare. But sometimes if a movie is forthright and honest enough, and has the performance and simple direction to pull it off, and there is no fear, little else is needed. Yes, I'm a sucker for these stories. Yes, this is a particularly harrowing and moving one. Not a false beat. As least as far as my soggy brain recalls.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Wed May 06, 2020 11:33 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:52 pm
The Witch was terribly stone faced (not necessarily a bad thing, but just a point of difference)
Right, that's another thing. The Witch had the "authentic dialect/natural-lighting only" thing, which was cool, but when I learned that The Lighthouse was going to be B&W, and shot in 4:3 or whatever, I was kind of worried that Eggers was too hung up on this kind of peripheral stuff at the expense of the content of the film itself. I wondered if the next film would be a silent one-reeler or something. (Don't forget he's been attached to a Nosferatu remake in the past) So again I was really pleased to see that he's got such a weird streak and seems to have something to say, and that he's not just trying to replicate a classic look for its own sake.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri May 08, 2020 7:07 pm

It is presumed that any movie produced in Germany during the 70's has a political subtext, but I'd prefer to just let these fellows ramble away from that and not imprison them by allegory. An ode to solitude, two lost souls travel down the road, only occassionally having the flotsam of their life history patter against their escape like a bug hitting a windshield. One makes a remark about how for the first time he has recognized the artifacts he comes across from a childhood home as being a part of history, and that history is his own, and that is a comforting thing to him. And then it is time once again to move forward and find more days of the same and days that are different, an empty road that will one day also be a part of their history. Or at least the fragments they take with them.

It's three hour duration at first seemed like it would be a bit daunting, considering the leisurely pace and the films initial refusal to let us know very much of either of these men. But eventually the voyage becomes comforting to the viewer as well to just watch these men contemplate their own history and live in a new one they are making. It feels aimless, as an unshackled and modest little film like this should, with charming and understated performances by both leads.

Plus there are unnecessary cocks, if one is into such things.
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady » Fri May 08, 2020 7:17 pm

This has been on my to-watch list for so long but I don't have the DVD with me although I own it. Have you seen the first two from the 'trilogy'? Both great, especially Alice in the Cities
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri May 08, 2020 7:24 pm

Conniving parents meddle in the love affairs of bug faced Jean Marais. A generally find Marais to be a disingenuous boob, so to have a film more interested in the mechanics of these convoluted relationships and all of their dubious scheming instead of the feelings that lay beneath them, is bound to leave me cold with a lead performance like this leading the way through its cynical heart.

It's an elegant looking enough film, but considering I have no interest whatsoever in whatever it is that makes Marais let out one of his creepily empty laughs or smiles, I needed more than to have him go 'yippee haha' when things go his way for a bit. I picked at the dry skin on my face more than really paid any attention to this one.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri May 08, 2020 7:26 pm

MrCarmady wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:17 pm
This has been on my to-watch list for so long but I don't have the DVD with me although I own it. Have you seen the first two from the 'trilogy'? Both great, especially Alice in the Cities
I've only seen Alice in the Cities, about five years ago, and felt similarly about that one.

I didn't even know I had this one, but it popped up in the stack of movies I randomly grabbed to bring into my quarantine bunker. A nice surprise. I had never even heard of the other film, Wrong Move, until I watched this today. I'm sure if I ever get a chance to get my hands on it, I'll give it a go.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri May 08, 2020 11:40 pm

There is always something wonderful about horror films that play weird straight . This is a film littered with eccentricites and black humor, but it never stumbles over itself to push any of that in its face. It offers it all up matter of factly, making its off kilter sensibilities all the more disturbing.

It's one of those fairly well known overlooked gems of the 80's, and one that I've seen a few times, but that I felt needed a rewatch because of a large and overwhelming why not factor
Rock

Post by Rock » Sat May 09, 2020 12:13 am

Yeah, dug that one a lot when I saw it a few years ago. One of those films that turns a cozy atmosphere on its head and benefits greatly from the casting.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Rock

Post by Rock » Sat May 09, 2020 12:15 am

I liked the sense of unfettered masculinity in Kings of the Road, and of course the scene where they sing the song is charming, but I could have done without seeing somebody take a shit on camera.

Alice in the Cities is great, but I couldn't get into Wrong Move at all. It's been too long for me to remember specifics though.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sat May 09, 2020 12:20 am

Rock wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 12:15 am
I liked the sense of unfettered masculinity in Kings of the Road, and of course the scene where they sing the song is charming, but I could have done without seeing somebody take a shit on camera.

Alice in the Cities is great, but I couldn't get into Wrong Move at all. It's been too long for me to remember specifics though.
I was thankfully texting someone during that scene and only vaguely noticed what was happening. Apparently Wenders regretted that afterwards
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri May 15, 2020 2:57 pm

It probably isn't common critical fawning to rave over how unexceptional the subject matter of a film is, but Eighth Grade nails the feeling of being unexceptional so well that it almost feels like experiencing the horrors of teenagehood all over again. And, thankfully, through the performances and direction of Burnham, there will be much poetry to be found here in this particularly brand of awkward and shuffling pain.

In the film we follow the last few days of middle school for the particularly unexceptional Kayla. Crucially to the success of the film, Kayla is never presented as some uncut jewel in the rough. She is not given some exceptional talent that her classmates have never seen, but the audience gets to witness so we can root for her unjust invisibility. She isn't made into a sensitive soul with deep empathy for others, as she mostly thinks only of how she is seen and wanting to be accepted simply for the sake of acceptance. There isn't even much to her personality that makes the viewer have any great hope that she will somehow find a way to truly fit in (even her father seems to struggle much of the time talking up her best traits, often just settling for the cop out claim that she's 'really cool'). As we watch her we don't get any sense that Kayla has any particular sense of humor about herself. We also hardly suspect she's all that special academically and, if we are going to be blunt, she's really not even all that likeable. She is so inverted and awkward the audience will only rarely even get a glimpse of who the person she is on the inside. Everything seeable is camouflage, from the blog she puts online that intentionally fudges the facts of her own life, to how she waits to hear what others say before she decides what needs to be said. It is only in her rare outbursts of frustration where she stands up for herself that we get to see what is truly going on inside of her, but even then it comes out painfully sideways, the proper words never coming, the targets of her anger staring back at her blankly, unable to understand exactly what it is she's getting at. But with the slight smile she always gives after these outbursts, the audience can guess that these are her victories, these moments where she still hasn't necessarily connected with anyone, and possibly even has further ostracized herself, but at least she managed to finally get out something she really feels. But while she may be shining on the inside, the audience is left not entirely knowing how to feel about these victories since we seem more aware than she that maybe it didn't go all that well. Should we be cheering for her finally standing up for herself, or cringing because we can see how poorly it has been received? Either response feels more than justified.

Even when it comes to dramatic arcs, Eighth Grade thankfully avoids piling on too much overt external suffering, instead settling on her main battle which is with her profound awkwardness. Her pains are that of nearly everyone her age and those pains, even though not embellished, are more than enough. She is not popular, but her bullying is presented more as being ignored and unnecessary, not being viciously attacked. Her home life is fractured and without a mother, but the nemesis we are presented with here is not an abusive parent, but a bumbling father who does not know how to connect and gives her encouragement we know she can see through. And even a traumatic encounter with another boy, while clearly a distressing moment for her in many ways, stops short of being physically vicious. Instead what this scene goes for is the creeping insidiousness of the boy trying to take advantage of her shyness and vulnerability as if she can't immediately see through it, making her feel that she is seen as both powerless and naive.

Eight Grade does not need to hit any harder than this, because this is already hitting hard enough. These are the more familiar wounds of young adulthood most of us are more than painfully aware of already, and through watching this, may make us aware we are still bruised from. And even the optimistic sense the film leaves us with, a girl who is now at least strong enough to embrace the idea of change and renewal as she starts a new chapter of her life, leaves more than enough room for the disaster we know is high school looming up ahead. Once again, we the audience can't know entirely how to feel. Which is exactly the kind of headspace we should be put in when made to confront the feelings of these formative years in a film.

Everything about the film is pretty much perfect.
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady » Fri May 15, 2020 3:00 pm

Nice review of my favourite horror film of the decade.
Thief

Post by Thief » Fri May 15, 2020 3:41 pm

I really liked the film. Maybe not as enthusiastically as you, but I thought it nailed that awkwardness of age and growing up perfectly.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri May 15, 2020 4:03 pm

Well said. I'm possibly biased because a lot of it really hit close to home, but I agree that it pretty much nailed everything.

Another detail I liked that you didn't mention: The "hot guy" that she has a crush on is presented as exactly what he is: a 13 year old male. Sure, he's cute enough to appeal to his classmates, but he also picks his nose and is a dumbass and likes stupid stuff because he's 13. I loved that they bucked the trend of portraying the crush as a gorgeous perfect person that likes cool bands, etc. (Usually played by an 18-year old)
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sat May 16, 2020 1:06 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:03 pm
Well said. I'm possibly biased because a lot of it really hit close to home, but I agree that it pretty much nailed everything.

Another detail I liked that you didn't mention: The "hot guy" that she has a crush on is presented as exactly what he is: a 13 year old male. Sure, he's cute enough to appeal to his classmates, but he also picks his nose and is a dumbass and likes stupid stuff because he's 13. I loved that they bucked the trend of portraying the crush as a gorgeous perfect person that likes cool bands, etc. (Usually played by an 18-year old)
There are little to no elements in the film which ring as false. It's inspiring how many tropes and cliches it just pays no mind to in a genre that is usually entirely composed of them (even some of the good ones) It feels completely fresh without reinventing anything other than being honest and straight with the audience and the characters it has created
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sat May 16, 2020 2:08 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 1:06 am
There are little to no elements in the film which ring as false. It's inspiring how many tropes and cliches it just pays no mind to in a genre that is usually entirely composed of them (even some of the good ones) It feels completely fresh without reinventing anything other than being honest and straight with the audience and the characters it has created
Agreed. Burnham really tapped into something here.

Another thing I wanted to mention is the way it resonated with a Gen Xer like myself, while simultaneously opening my eyes to certain things a current 8th grader has to deal with that I never did.
As an introvert, I had one friend per year and was fine with that. I lived under the general assumption that on any given weekend there may or may not have been a party that I wasn't invited to, but that was easy for me to ignore. How would it have affected my self esteem if Instagram was there to confirm that yes, everyone in my class was at the arcade Saturday? Or if I had Youtube's view counter showing me in black and white that nobody is listening to me, and the ones that did listen have downvoted it? Brutal. Watching her scroll through her affirmation videos with no views was heart-wrenching.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun May 17, 2020 3:24 am

Ergill

Post by Ergill » Sun May 17, 2020 4:52 am

He looks pretty bummed 'bout that plane.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun May 17, 2020 5:47 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:40 pm

There is always something wonderful about horror films that play weird straight . This is a film littered with eccentricites and black humor, but it never stumbles over itself to push any of that in its face. It offers it all up matter of factly, making its off kilter sensibilities all the more disturbing.

It's one of those fairly well known overlooked gems of the 80's, and one that I've seen a few times, but that I felt needed a rewatch because of a large and overwhelming why not factor
The gulf between how good this movie is and how well-known it is even among horror fans can hardly be measured. I'm not saying it's a great movie, but it's a pretty darn good horror movie and gets less WOM than a probably hundreds of movies that are hot-garbage by comparison.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun May 17, 2020 6:00 pm

Ergill wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 4:52 am
I'm probably obligated to figure out what movie that is, and then watch it, now that I've claimed it.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun May 17, 2020 6:02 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:47 pm
The gulf between how good this movie is and how well-known it is even among horror fans can hardly be measured. I'm not saying it's a great movie, but it's a pretty darn good horror movie and gets less WOM than a probably hundreds of movies that are hot-garbage by comparison.
It doesn't get a lot of mentions outside of the horror community, and it isn't that well known even in it on a surface level. But I feel it is a film that, when people are discussing forgotten horror films that are worth tracking down, is pretty close to the top of the list.

Next of Kin on the other hand...
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun May 17, 2020 10:00 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:02 pm
It doesn't get a lot of mentions outside of the horror community, and it isn't that well known even in it on a surface level. But I feel it is a film that, when people are discussing forgotten horror films that are worth tracking down, is pretty close to the top of the list.

Next of Kin on the other hand...
Yeah, but it's like you have to reach the level of, ok, it's real Horror people discussing forgotten Horror movies, and it's still gonna be like one person remembers it and brings it up and then everybody else goes, "Oh yeah, of course, Dead & Buried."
That's way too obscure considering there are lots of far crappier movies that are on the tips of peoples' tongues. A horror amateur might see 50 or 100 shit horror movies before coming across it. It's just weird.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun May 17, 2020 10:25 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:00 pm
Yeah, but it's like you have to reach the level of, ok, it's real Horror people discussing forgotten Horror movies, and it's still gonna be like one person remembers it and brings it up and then everybody else goes, "Oh yeah, of course, Dead & Buried."
That's way too obscure considering there are lots of far crappier movies that are on the tips of peoples' tongues. A horror amateur might see 50 or 100 shit horror movies before coming across it. It's just weird.
While I would like to believe that your average person has the slightest care about the art of film (and this is before we start to split hairs with genre) there is sadly no evidence of this being even remotely the case. Movies don't matter. I think you could argue the average person probably cares a bit more about music as an art, and even when considering this, popular taste here is also still generally terrible. Movies don't stand a chance since I think the art of film is even more elusive to the layman than that of music. Movies are taken for granted.

Maybe if the world began to care enough to dig a little on their own and not need to wait to be told what to look for, these overlooked gems might start to be talked about outside of our little vaccuum of irrelevance here. This won't happen though. It will always be the burden of the obsessives. People either don't care or don't have enough free time in their life to get around to caring about neglected films.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun May 17, 2020 10:51 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:25 pm
While I would like to believe that your average person has the slightest care about the art of film (and this is before we start to split hairs with genre) there is sadly no evidence of this being even remotely the case. Movies don't matter. I think you could argue the average person probably cares a bit more about music as an art, and even when considering this, popular taste here is also still generally terrible. Movies don't stand a chance since I think the art of film is even more elusive to the layman than that of music. Movies are taken for granted.

Maybe if the world began to care enough to dig a little on their own and not need to wait to be told what to look for, these overlooked gems might start to be talked about outside of our little vaccuum of irrelevance here. This won't happen though. It will always be the burden of the obsessives. People either don't care or don't have enough free time in their life to get around to caring about neglected films.
Well, all that's true, but I have friends, a married couple, who watch, I'd say, 5-7 movies per week, and their taste is overwhelmingly toward Horror and Sci-Fi and anything weird, and they do mine for gold. They've seen maybe 3-5 times as many horror movies as the average legitimate film buff. Yet they have never even heard Dead & Buried, I just asked them. That's what I'm talking about.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Sun May 17, 2020 11:06 pm

I found out about Dead and Buried in a podcast you'd probably all like, Junkfood Cinema.
In the episode about it, they pointed out something I didn't pick up on when I watched it: it's about conservatives wanting to return to the values of the 1950s and, obviously, how badly that regression would play out.
Last Great Movie Seen
Dragonslayer (Robbins, 1981)
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon May 18, 2020 4:16 am

Man, I miss Linda Blount.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Mon May 18, 2020 4:26 am

crumbsroom wrote:
    Sun May 17, 2020 6:00 pm
    I'm probably obligated to figure out what movie that is, and then watch it, now that I've claimed it.
    Crack-Up (1936)
    Rock

Post by Rock » Mon May 18, 2020 5:25 am

Wooley wrote:
    Sun May 17, 2020 10:00 pm
    I suspect part of it is that it lacks an obvious hook. Like, technically it's a zombie movie, but it's not really a zombie movie. And it kind of got grouped with the more extreme horror coming out around the same time when it's much more low key and much less graphic than a lot of its contemporaries.
    ____
    Blog!
    Rock

Post by Rock » Mon May 18, 2020 5:26 am

Ergill wrote:
    Sun May 17, 2020 4:52 am
    It looks to me that he doesn't care for the plane and is taking a "let 'em crash" attitude.
    ____
    Blog!
    crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Mon May 18, 2020 1:50 pm

Wooley wrote:
    Sun May 17, 2020 10:51 pm
    Well, all that's true, but I have friends, a married couple, who watch, I'd say, 5-7 movies per week, and their taste is overwhelmingly toward Horror and Sci-Fi and anything weird, and they do mine for gold. They've seen maybe 3-5 times as many horror movies as the average legitimate film buff. Yet they have never even heard Dead & Buried, I just asked them. That's what I'm talking about.
    I have a skewed idea of what people should know about when it comes to art in general. As an obsessive it baffles me when people haven't heard of the things they haven't heard of. And this would fall under that umbrella of bafflement. While I don't expect your average film fan to know this one, if watching horror movies is your thing, and one is actively seeking out undiscovered gems, this should be under one of the first rocks you turn over. It was widely available in video stores back in the day, was released in the hay day of horror glut and is consistently listed on obscure horror lists of films to seek out. It's possible its generic title doesn't help it out much though.

I think if you were to poll those from the Horrorcram of yore if they heard of this movie though, well over 90 percent would have. Those are the kind of obsessives the world needs more of. And we are apparently in short supply. Not like anyone would bother listening to us anyways though. Because people don't actually care much about movies, when it gets down to it. They are a passive interest to most. I suppose others have what I would scoff to call lives.

#lifescoff
    crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Mon May 18, 2020 1:51 pm

Torgo wrote:
    Sun May 17, 2020 11:06 pm
    I found out about Dead and Buried in a podcast you'd probably all like, Junkfood Cinema.
    In the episode about it, they pointed out something I didn't pick up on when I watched it: it's about conservatives wanting to return to the values of the 1950s and, obviously, how badly that regression would play out.
    When I read this, it seems so obviously right there to see, but I someohow missed every hint at what it was going for. But that's because I always miss everything.
    crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Mon May 18, 2020 1:52 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
    Mon May 18, 2020 4:26 am
      Crack-Up (1936)
      And it's on You Tube. But I have so many films I"ve found on YouTube recently that I need to watch, and the girl I've been staying with the last two months is not likely to appreciate any of these discoveries.

Stupid quarantine.
      crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed May 20, 2020 4:19 pm

Baby Driver is just such a piece of shit.

As soon as critics stop thinking the words slick and hip somehow automatically give a film a pass, maybe they'll start saying something worth reading.

Slick leaves you with nothing to hold onto.

Hip is not something that dances for your approval.
      Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed May 20, 2020 4:27 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
      Wed May 20, 2020 4:19 pm
      It is incredibly superficial, but I really enjoyed it in the theater. It's the cinematic equivalent of a piece of candy corn, but I dug it on that level.
      crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed May 20, 2020 4:47 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
      Wed May 20, 2020 4:27 pm
      It is incredibly superficial, but I really enjoyed it in the theater. It's the cinematic equivalent of a piece of candy corn, but I dug it on that level.
      I can do superficial, but not this. As soon as I sense they created the next scene by going "You know what would be really cool..." I'm out. If a movie wants to go for 'cool', it should be buried deep into its DNA. It should push against trends. It shouldn't be a ham fisted front, otherwise I'm just going to look at it like I look at that guy at a party who dresses exactly so, and likes exactly the right music, and waits to interject exactly the right comment. It's all just such an act and I can see right through you Babydriver. You are unnacceptable. And then to try and base any of this nonsense in legitimate emotion by saddling this dumb character with a tragic backstory, just please stop. I want to die.

Shame on you Edgar Wright. You should know better.
      Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed May 20, 2020 4:53 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
      Wed May 20, 2020 4:47 pm
      I can do superficial, but not this. As soon as I sense they created the next scene by going "You know what would be really cool..." I'm out. If a movie wants to go for 'cool', it should be buried deep into its DNA. It should push against trends. It shouldn't be a ham fisted front, otherwise I'm just going to look at it like I look at that guy at a party who dresses exactly so, and likes exactly the right music, and waits to interject exactly the right comment. It's all just such an act and I can see right through you Babydriver. You are unnacceptable. And then to try and base any of this nonsense in legitimate emotion by saddling this dumb character with a tragic backstory, just please stop. I want to die.

Shame on you Edgar Wright. You should know better.
      For me it's a film where, yes, I was really aware of how constructed it was (sob story included) but just didn't care. It kind of circled around to the point where it was so constructed that I was fine with just enjoying a series of setpieces with a decent (or at least coherent) narrative tying them together.
      Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Wed May 20, 2020 6:19 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
      Wed May 20, 2020 4:19 pm

As soon as critics stop thinking the words slick and hip somehow automatically give a film a pass, maybe they'll start saying something worth reading.

Slick leaves you with nothing to hold onto.

Hip is not something that dances for your approval.
      I think that Jared Kushner's acting career will end up being as successful as his Middle East peace plan.
      Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Wed May 20, 2020 6:20 pm

Was that even Jared? I don't know. One inexpressive Pillsbury white boy or another.
      crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed May 20, 2020 7:35 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
      Wed May 20, 2020 6:19 pm
      I think that Jared Kushner's acting career will end up being as successful as his Middle East peace plan.
      I wonder if I could have at least salavaged some enjoyment at least on Takoma's level if they hadn't cast that smug shit. But, the whole movie seemed to be an outgrowth from that kind of personality defect, so I doubt it.

Also the script was atrocious.
      crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed May 20, 2020 7:43 pm

At least it was kind of nice to hate a movie as purely as this. It's been awhile.
      Charles

Post by Charles » Wed May 20, 2020 7:48 pm

Words come so easy when you truly hate a movie. It's a pleasure to watch them just to talk about it afterwards.
      crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed May 20, 2020 8:21 pm

Charles wrote:
      Wed May 20, 2020 7:48 pm
      Words come so easy when you truly hate a movie. It's a pleasure to watch them just to talk about it afterwards.
      Truth.

And as big a crank as I am, I so rarely truuuuuly hate a movie.

And for reference sake, I don't actually hate The Conjuring.

I hated this.