Award Season In Hell

Discuss anything you want.
Jinnistan

Re: Award Season In Hell

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:59 pm

BL wrote:About that...
Ffffffffffffs. I'm always the last to know of these things.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:18 am

Jinnistan wrote:More disappointing for me has been the pushing of Beck Bennett and Kyle Mooney into meager walk-on roles and dialing back their more original contributions which have been welcome infusions to the show's more stagnant comedic formulas. Instead, the show seems more focused on the newer featured players Mickey Day and Alex Moffat, who bring far less innovation (or amusement) to the table. As anonymous white guys, they are adequate enough for the Trump sons, only superficially.
Yeah, both Day and Moffat run hot/cold to me, but neither is nearly as much fun as watching Beck/Kyle chase ways to upset the apple cart.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:27 pm

An honest attempt at honoring blockbusters or a shameless attempt at getting more people to watch the Oscars? You decide:

The Academy adding "Best Popular Film" category
Last Great Movie Seen
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Kaufman, 1978)
boojiboyhowdy

Post by boojiboyhowdy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:40 pm

Torgo wrote:An honest attempt at honoring blockbusters or a shameless attempt at getting more people to watch the Oscars? You decide:

People on Twitter have decided this is specifically targeted at Black Panther. There's always going to be subpar or even crap movies nominated. And some of them even win. BP isn't deserving of a nom. Neither was Three Billboards etc. for that matter.
ski petrol

Post by ski petrol » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:57 am

That decision probably goes all the way back to The Dark Knight not being nominated for BP even though it was the highest grossing film of that year that got very good critical notices.

I don't think Black Panther has anything to do with it. The Oscars haven't been popular in a long time (see the ever dwindling ratings even though attempting to introduce younger hosts, etc) and this is just something to introduce more popular fare into the awards talk.

Over the years they've tried other things like adding more BP nominess (9 or 10) but even then voters were ignoring more popular fare. This is not something new and the Oscars opening up this new category shows how desperate they are for a younger and more attentive crowd.

PS - Then again I never thought they would give BP to a movie about a woman who falls in love with a fish-man so I could be totally wrong.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:20 pm

Here's how they're going to present the award:

Alec Baldwin: "There have been a lot of great movies this year, huh, Adam? Have you seen First Reformed?"
Adam Sandler: "Umm...nope?" <scattered laughter>
Alec: "What about You Were Never Really Here?"
Adam: "You Were Never...what? <laughter intensifies>
Alec: "Leave No Trace?"
Adam: "You're making these up, aren't you Alec?" <the entire audience laughs>
Alec Baldwin "<stares at audience> what about...Black Panther?"
Adam: "Yeah, baby! Wakanda Forever!" <the audience laughs and cheers; the camera cuts away to see Chadwick Boseman and Samuel L. Jackson clapping half-heartedly>
Alec: "Here are the nominees for Best Popular film. The award...for the rest of us!"
Last Great Movie Seen
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:27 pm

Torgo wrote:Here's how they're going to present the award:

Alec Baldwin: "There have been a lot of great movies this year, huh, Adam? Have you seen First Reformed?"
Adam Sandler: "Umm...nope?" <scattered laughter>
Alec: "What about You Were Never Really Here?"
Adam: "You Were Never...what? <laughter intensifies>
Alec: "Leave No Trace?"
Adam: "You're making these up, aren't you Alec?" <the entire audience laughs>
Alec Baldwin "<stares at audience> what about...Black Panther?"
Adam: "Yeah, baby! Wakanda Forever!" <the audience laughs and cheers; the camera cuts away to see Chadwick Boseman and Samuel L. Jackson clapping half-heartedly>
Alec: "Here are the nominees for Best Popular film. The award...for the rest of us!"
Nailed it.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:33 pm

Waiting to hear what the criteria will be for "popular".
Guys like Spielberg could get nominated for Best Picture (The Post) and Popular Movie (RP1) in the same year.
I'm against the idea of giving prizes for art just on principle so it doesn't really concern me, but I do think it's a terrible idea.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:30 pm

Horrible idea.
This Is My Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:34 pm

Best idea ever. I mean, 5 out of the 7 top grossing movies this year are Disney, and ABC is owned by Disney, may as well be honest about the ordeal. Yay, an award for movies people actually give a shit about!
ski petrol

Post by ski petrol » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:12 am

The Nameless One wrote:Best idea ever. I mean, 5 out of the 7 top grossing movies this year are Disney, and ABC is owned by Disney, may as well be honest about the ordeal. Yay, an award for movies people actually give a shit about!
What if Tomb Raider wins the award?
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:14 am

ski petrol wrote:
What if Tomb Raider wins the award?
In what world is Tomb Raider popular? Also, what if it's good :shifty:
ski petrol

Post by ski petrol » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:20 am

It actually is kinda good. In that cheesy popcorn movie kinda way.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:02 am

It's either an interesting admission that "popular" audiences are no longer interested in watching the best films, or a signal that Hollywood studios (Disney) are no longer interested in making quality, thoughtful films but don't want to sacrifice their trophies in the process.

If the "popular" audience finds this development to be some kind of empowerment, as opposed to a condescending marketing ploy, then I suppose they kinda deserve condescension. And if black audiences think that this will be some kind of symbolic victory for Black Panther, then maybe they should consider how this would amount to reinforceing the worst stereotypes of affirmative action. In other words, the opposite direction from the accomplished strides of McQueen, Jenkins, Dees and Duvernay.

Black Panther is top-notch action entertainment but formulaic, predictable and not particularly well-conceived. Let's not make it a literal token.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:40 pm

It all begs the question: if the Best Popular film Oscar had always existed, what movies from the past would have won it?
Rocky may have won it in 1976, paving the way for Network to win Best Picture. Just as likely recipient Black Panther did for 2018 audiences, Rocky owes its popularity for providing something America needed at the time.
Last Great Movie Seen
LEAVES

Post by LEAVES » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:57 pm

The Popular Film Award merely cements the Oscars' irrelevance, it doesn't take it down a new path.
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:19 pm

Torgo wrote:An honest attempt at honoring blockbusters or a shameless attempt at getting more people to watch the Oscars? You decide:

Lets just say best disney owned film instead :?
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:21 pm

How about a best unpopular film catergory?
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:25 pm

Rumpled wrote:How about a best unpopular film catergory?
Finally some recognition for my thanklessly beloved mother!

I will feast on the howls of fools.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:27 pm

No need to worry, guys. The Academy's integrity will remain intact for another year.
Academy delays Best Popular Film Oscar
Last Great Movie Seen
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:23 am

Torgo wrote:No need to worry, guys. The Academy's integrity will remain intact for another year.
Academy delays Best Popular Film Oscar
La La Land loses again.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:47 am

The Academy recognized that implementing any new award nine months into the year creates challenges for films that have already been released.
Aw. I'm sure that Jurassic World would have tried a lot harder if they only knew!
Numerous film journalists criticized the Academy’s decision to create a popular film Oscar in the same year where Marvel’s “Black Panther,” a major studio tentpole, has a shot at best picture
Urgh. Naw, man.
Charles Longboat Jr.

Post by Charles Longboat Jr. » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:31 am

For those it may concern, movie awards season has come again.

A24 and Chloe Zhao’s The Rider win big at the 2018 Gotham Awards.

Seeing my top current top three of the year win awards is quite pleasing for me. Of course, with the exception of First Reformed, their awards campaigns probably start and stop here.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:36 am

I wish I could finally see so many of the nominated films, because, so far, I don't think it's been a fairly eventful year for good films.

I'm sure many of the good ones (like The Rider) are simply completely off my radar, while others (The Favourite, If Beale Street Could Talk), I'm just hoping that I get a chance to see them before the end of the year. I will be very disappointd if the awards continue to unfairly discriminate against Netflix, as Ballad of Buster Scruggs is currently my favorite.

I have no idea why Adam Driver is being nominated as Best Actor for BlackKklansman. Except, well, you know. Affirmative action of sorts to elevate a clearly supporting role.
Stu

Post by Stu » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:25 am

Jinnistan wrote:I have no idea why Adam Driver is being nominated as Best Actor for BlackKklansman. Except, well, you know. Affirmative action of sorts to elevate a clearly supporting role.
Yeah; if the current season keeps going in that direction, it looks like SNL will have to make another one of these:

Last Movie Seen:
John Wick Chapter 3: 8

Recently Reviewed
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:05 am

Charles Longboat Jr. wrote:For those it may concern, movie awards season has come again.

A24 and Chloe Zhao’s The Rider win big at the 2018 Gotham Awards.

Seeing my top current top three of the year win awards is quite pleasing for me. Of course, with the exception of First Reformed, their awards campaigns probably start and stop here.
Nice concerning The Rider. I managed to catch it on the big screen thanks to AMC Theaters. Exceptional film.
This Is My Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:04 am

I sure hope that Green Book is a lot better than its trailer, because Driving Dr. Tibbs looks like lowest-common dnomination sermonizing.

I have First Reformed on my Prime list finally, after missing the week it played here. I hope the similiarly blink-and-miss Eighth Grade hows on streaming shortly as well.

Has Vice even been screened for critics yet? I wonder if some of these awards aren't a little premature. Also, I was thinking that You Were Never Really Here was a 2017 film.

I don't think that films such as First Man, Black Panther or Widows are strong enough to get award attention. Also, the screenplay for A Quiet Place was the dumbest part of that film. Can Annihilation not even get some FX love?
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:55 am

Jinnistan wrote:Also, I was thinking that You Were Never Really Here was a 2017 film.
Its US release date was April 2018.

Is Roma on Netflix yet?
Ant-Man and the Wasp ▪ Night Must Fall ▪ Colo ▪ Help Me, Eros ▪ Le bonheur ▪ Time Bandits ▪ All About Nina ▪ Love Is the Beginning of All Terror ▪ Capernaum ▪ Mary Queen of Scots ▪ Lazzaro felice

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:04 pm

I hope Michelle Yeoh gets some awards love for Crazy Rich Asians. It's a pivotal role and she nailed it.
Last Great Movie Seen
Charles Longboat Jr.

Post by Charles Longboat Jr. » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:28 am

Torgo wrote:I hope Michelle Yeoh gets some awards love for Crazy Rich Asians. It's a pivotal role and she nailed it.
Eh... I like her as an actress from what I’ve seen from her filmography, but I don’t think her role was that hard to play. Of course, the Supporting Actress race this year has been pretty weak so far (Disclaimer: I have not seen most of the front runners), so I suppose it wouldn’t be all that objectionable for her to get some nominations.

I myself am rooting for Elizabeth Debicki in Widows to get some decent fanfare from the awards circuit.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:44 am

I really enjoyed this twitter thread about award predictions. https://twitter.com/MarkHarrisNYC/statu ... 4841849856
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:06 pm

Charles Longboat Jr. wrote: Eh... I like her as an actress from what I’ve seen from her filmography, but I don’t think her role was that hard to play. Of course, the Supporting Actress race this year has been pretty weak so far (Disclaimer: I have not seen most of the front runners), so I suppose it wouldn’t be all that objectionable for her to get some nominations.

I myself am rooting for Elizabeth Debicki in Widows to get some decent fanfare from the awards circuit.
It is a "stern mother-in-law with high expectations" character we've seen before, but I felt that her performance added more depth, complexity and humanity than we usually see. Maybe I'm just a big Michelle Yeoh fan, but I'd say her part is the movie's secret sauce.
Last Great Movie Seen
Charles Longboat Jr.

Post by Charles Longboat Jr. » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:24 pm

Torgo

Post by Torgo » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:17 pm

Charles Longboat Jr. wrote:Golden Globes nominations
Surprised to see nothing for First Reformed. Not even a nom for Ethan Hawke.
Last Great Movie Seen
Eminence Grise

Post by Eminence Grise » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:28 pm

Torgo wrote:Surprised to see nothing for First Reformed. Not even a nom for Ethan Hawke.
But are you really surprised?
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:58 am

There can really be only one winner for set design....

Torgo

Post by Torgo » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:28 am

Eminence Grise wrote: But are you really surprised?
Well, this is the organization that honored The Martian as a comedy.
Umm, never mind.
Last Great Movie Seen
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:46 am

Also, the Globes are notoriously pay-for-play. If Schrader and Hawke weren't actively kissing ass, they were not likely to be nominated.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:50 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:Its US release date was April 2018.
Yeah, but didn't it play at the 2017 Cannes? I'm confused about all of this.
Shieldmaiden wrote:Is Roma on Netflix yet?
It better be. *tap tap* Nope, next week.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:57 am

Charles Longboat Jr. wrote:Link dump incoming
I don't know what to think about all of this. My initial takeaway is to reaffirm that it hasn't been a strong year for films. Obviously there are many left to see (Favourite, Beale Street, Roma, etc), but there's something distressing about seeing pedestrian films like First Man, Black Panther or Quiet Place rounding out so many top tens and nominations. Plus, David Ehrlich stole my review for Widows!
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:02 pm

I have a hard time judging whether or not 2018 was a good year for movies. Most of my favorites this year are actually 2017 titles that only now came out in Belgium. But at the same time I haven't seen the most of the well-received 2018 titles because they simply don't get released out here. I mean, Eighth Grade got released in the US in July 2018, but we won't get it until, checks notes, February 20th 2019.
Charles Longboat Jr.

Post by Charles Longboat Jr. » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:55 pm

Chicago Critics Circle nominations demonstrate astoundingly good taste

Seriously, there’s a lot to like here. First Reformed getting BP, Best Director, and Screenplay noms is pretty cool, as is their actually throwing a bone to Johan Johannsson, Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood in the Score section, The Death of Stalin in the Adapted Screenplay category, and some love for Toni Collette, Joaquin Phoenix, and Elizabeth Debicki. Some very inspired nominations.

San Francisco Film Critics snub Bradley Cooper in Best Actor(!) among other developments

San Diego Film Critics think Rami Malek is only now a breakout, even though Mr. Robot was pretty popular a few years back. Also, they like A Quiet Place and Leave No Trace more than just about any other awards organization thus far.

The Award U Give to The Hate U Give is Best Picture, according to the LA Online Film Critics Awards. I apologize for that pun.

Props to them for awarding Toni Collette and Alex Wolff, though.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:44 am

I think that First Reformed is going to be my Three Billboards this year. The more I think about it, the more the film feels like a complete fraud. It's especially irritating to see it win screenplay nods. Hawke is excellent, and the camerawork is noble, but the script is such an (uncredited, mind you) embalmment of elements from Diary of a Country Priest and Winter Light. Generously, this could be excused as homage, except that Schrader betrays the grace of those classics with his typically ignoble histrionics. I don't know why more fans of those earlier films aren't insulted by the balls alone, much less the botching.

It'll win a ton of awards, like Three Billboards, because the era of Bresson and Bergman is long gone.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:09 am

After I heard several people bring up how First Reformed stole a lot from those 2 films (as well as Taxi Driver), I decided to watch First Winter and Diary of a Country Priest out of curiosity. While I'm less confident that Schrader ripped off Taxi Driver, I agree that multiple aspects of the film appear to be taken right out of the 2 you mentioned. I often hear people respond to complaints about movies being rips offs by saying that nothing is completely original, but I think there's a difference between providing your own twist on an archetype and appearing to remake entire sections of a previous film. This appears to be the case with First Reformed.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:12 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:I often hear people respond to complaints about movies being rips offs by saying that nothing is completely original, but I think there's a difference between providing your own twist on an archetype and appearing to remake entire sections of a previous film. This appears to be the case with First Reformed.
In this case, it's more than a matter or using plot elements of older films and more about how they are being used. By appropriating so boldly, Schrader leaves us little choice but to thematically compare these films.
If we consider the stoicism of Bresson's priest or the doubtful resignation of Bergman's, we have to compare Schrader's Toller to these qualities (and that's without even probing deeper into the philosophical motifs of Christian mercy and suffering). Toller does not shine so well in this contrast, because he lacks the stoic inner strength and resignation of the prior two, intent on going out with the kind of gesture (a bang) that the other two resisted or likely refused to even entertain.
As it is, the question becomes in light of these direct "references", what is the motive and meaning of them? What is Schrader saying about either the two previous films (from directors that he's noted as masters) or amending to their subject matter or insights? I would normally feel cruel to have to force such standards onto Schrader for making a faith-in-crisis film, but, again, he's chosen to make the invitation for comparison a central plot point of his film. He's either exploiting these art-cred references (and reading some of the reviews, he's succeeded) out of his own artistic insecurity or he's subverting the message of those older films in ways that are not exactly flattering to those masters.

Since the comparison is so unavoidable, all I can say is that, by wide contrast, Schrader's film said very little of substance to me.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:36 am

Then, it looks like we're in agreement. I agree that the character of Toller isn't as interesting as the ones Bresson and Bergman wrote. It seemed like Schrader set high standards for himself by his mimicry of those films.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:16 pm