I sure wish RT was still here for TLJ Hottakes

Discuss anything you want.
Death Proof

Re: I sure wish RT was still here for TLJ Hottakes

Post by Death Proof » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:35 am

Neclord wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:30 am
How's Red Beard doing, you think? Probably choked to death on a larabar?
Overdosed on blue milk.
Ain't no grave gonna hold this body down
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:19 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:51 am
Overall, I loved it and it reminded me of the things I love about Star Wars.
I have my issues with Disney as a company, with weaponized nostalgia, all that. and I'm sure even the people who love this kind of stuff are cognizant of those things.

but if this is the kind of thing that gives you that needed hit of dopamine, I hope I don't make you feel bad just for liking something.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:58 am

Ox, don't hurt my feelings just because I like when the keen social humor of Parker/Stone unironically manifests on message boards.
Stu

Post by Stu » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:11 am

Neclord wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:30 am
How's Red Beard doing, you think? Probably choked to death on a larabar?
NEC!
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:26 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:58 am
Ox, don't hurt my feelings just because I like when the keen social humor of Parker/Stone unironically manifests on message boards.
yeah I see you. it's not that I think TRoS won't be a $300 million tranquilizer. maybe I'll be in a fighting mood after I actually see it.

also, I wonder if decades from now TRoS will be seen as a nadir of bloated big-budget spectacle filmmaking similar to Cleopatra, necessitating a shift in industry priorities. I know a lot of that will depend on how much money TRoS makes and even then that might just have a narrower effect i.e. on the Star Wars IP, not nostalgia-infused franchise revivals in total.
topherH

Post by topherH » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:33 am

Wow, that was worse than Justice League.
State of Siege |Gavras, 1972| +
Deadpool |Miller, 2016| +
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:23 pm

topherH wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:33 am
Wow, that was worse than Justice League.
[maniacal grin] ohhhhh boy. Saturday can't come soon enough!

also I saw some photos of the Lego sets and it looks like we're still 0/5 on Disney Star Wars movies with cool spaceships. which is fine, I got better things to waste my money on.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:06 pm

Feeling like a new film captured the essence of the franchise it's a part of is unironically "memberberry" material? Janson can be such a wanker.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:06 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:19 am
I have my issues with Disney as a company, with weaponized nostalgia, all that. and I'm sure even the people who love this kind of stuff are cognizant of those things.

but if this is the kind of thing that gives you that needed hit of dopamine, I hope I don't make you feel bad just for liking something.
I'd have to highly value your opinion to feel bad. The condescension and contempt on this board in light of this film is pathetic.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:20 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:06 pm
Feeling like a new film captured the essence of the franchise it's a part of is unironically "memberberry" material? Janson can be such a wanker.
When that esssence is defined by what it "reminded" you of, then a "member" joke is perfectly appropriate. It's funny. Laugh a little. It's OK for a grown man to laugh at Star Wars. I guarantee you that I'm not taking this seriously enough to qualify as contempt.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:25 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:20 pm
When that esssence is defined by what it "reminded" you of, then a "member" joke is perfectly appropriate. It's funny. Laugh a little. It's OK for a grown man to laugh at Star Wars. I guarantee you that I'm not taking this seriously enough to qualify as contempt.
My implication was that previous films failed to capture that Star Wars essence and why I loved it, rather than "oh hey! That's Lando! And hey! That's an X-Wing"

You don't have to take something seriously for the contempt to seethe out of your posts.
topherH

Post by topherH » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:43 pm

We can all be condescending asses here. It's very therapeutic.
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +

+ Recommended
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:49 pm

There's probably going to be hate crime legislation over this in a few years. You have to admit, that's pretty funny.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:56 pm

I'm not sure where I've posted a word about this film before now. I must be the enemy.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:02 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:06 pm
I'd have to highly value your opinion to feel bad.
as long as I'm not bringing you down, it's all good. *finger guns*

if I'm being honest with myself, no movies have had as much impact on me as the original three movies did when I saw them at 5-years of age (and I don't doubt the movies' impact is related to my being of 5-years of age). I still find them charming and pleasurable even if revisiting them can be like revisiting your childhood playground and finding yourself too big to fully enjoy the equipment. sometimes I laugh a bit at myself that I used to treat something so goofy with such reverence (if TFA is any indication, JJ also feels too much of the same reverence to do anything innovative or potentially blasphemous). I know I ought not be too condescending 'cause I too once loved Star Wars more than anything; I cannot deny my past.

and it's probably not healthy for me to go see TRoS just to hate-watch it when there are so many other movies more deserving of my time and money. BUT I already promised my friends back in October that I'd see it with them. someday I'll take the Slenert route..... someday....
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:26 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:02 pm
and it's probably not healthy for me to go see TRoS just to hate-watch it when there are so many other movies more deserving of my time and money.
I actually watched the first two (#'s 50 & 49) and I immediately thought, "At last, a movie list where I might actually have a chance at respectability."

Four. Four out of fifty. But then there's like 3 of them on Netflix so...yeah, still four out of fifty.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:43 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:26 pm
I actually watched the first two (#'s 50 & 49) and I immediately thought, "At last, a movie list where I might actually have a chance at respectability."

Four. Four out of fifty. But then there's like 3 of them on Netflix so...yeah, still four out of fifty.
don't worry, movies aren't Pokemon. you don't 'gotta catch 'em all'.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:52 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:02 pm
as long as I'm not bringing you down, it's all good. *finger guns*

if I'm being honest with myself, no movies have had as much impact on me as the original three movies did when I saw them at 5-years of age (and I don't doubt the movies' impact is related to my being of 5-years of age). I still find them charming and pleasurable even if revisiting them can be like revisiting your childhood playground and finding yourself too big to fully enjoy the equipment. sometimes I laugh a bit at myself that I used to treat something so goofy with such reverence (if TFA is any indication, JJ also feels too much of the same reverence to do anything innovative or potentially blasphemous). I know I ought not be too condescending 'cause I too once loved Star Wars more than anything; I cannot deny my past.

and it's probably not healthy for me to go see TRoS just to hate-watch it when there are so many other movies more deserving of my time and money. BUT I already promised my friends back in October that I'd see it with them. someday I'll take the Slenert route..... someday....
I find the Abrams films charming much in the same way as the original trilogy. They are simple, fable-esque films defined by spectacle and fun.

I find attempts to being gravitas and high concept drama to the universe to ultimately fail as that's fitting a square peg into a round hole. I don't think it could never work but I find the efforts of TLJ and RO to be hindered by relative incompetence.

Certain films fulfill certain niches. There's room for the MCU and the SW just as there's room for the Lighthouse and Parasite. I certainly wish there was a greater audience for the arthouse films that manage theatrical release but I find the tribalism and dismissal of those that appreciate the relatively simple pleasures of Disney films as less cultured or immature to carry a degree of insecurity out of fear of enjoying "lesser art."

Also, posting a list that has the first entry as the Mule as a best of 2019 speaks to that insecurity. Elevating a disaster like that while neglecting any pop art is laughable.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:16 pm

Didn't like the flick, happy that MKS enjoyed it.

Totally down for Disney+ series Babu Frink: Tinkering With Danger.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Spencie Returns

Post by Spencie Returns » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:58 pm

Rise of Skywalker is way too much way too late. It did a surprisingly neat job tying everything up, but what good is that when you're busting your ass to conclude a story that never warranted being told in the first place? I almost got Matrix Revolutions vibes from how over the top, excessive and redundant the whole thing was. The largest, loudest, most CGI heavy set piece in the world will always pale in comparison to the emotional simplicity of Luke refusing to kill Vader.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:36 am

DaMU wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:16 pm
Didn't like the flick, happy that MKS enjoyed it.

Totally down for Disney+ series Babu Frink: Tinkering With Danger.
Was it because it treated TLJ largely the way TLJ treated TFA?
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:44 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:36 am
No, but I appreciate you waiting 0.0 seconds before trying to start an argument.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:47 am

DaMU wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:44 am
No, but I appreciate you waiting 0.0 seconds before trying to start an argument.
Heh. Tone is difficult on the net.
Stu

Post by Stu » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:41 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:36 am
What Last Jedi did to Force Awakens is only a problem if there was actually going to end up being something of worth inside of the umpteenth "mystery box" that JJ left behind in it, though... and that's a big if.

:shifty:
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:04 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:52 pm
Also, posting a list that has the first entry as the Mule as a best of 2019 speaks to that insecurity. Elevating a disaster like that while neglecting any pop art is laughable.
I haven't seen The Mule but I just noticed the absence of Toy Story 4. hurm.....
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:20 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:04 pm
I haven't seen The Mule but I just noticed the absence of Toy Story 4. hurm.....
The Mule's trailer is something of a masterpiece and implies it would be Eastwood's Irishman, to draw a recent parallel. What we get is a good ol' boy bout of "ain't my anti-PC vernacular charming to the Mexicans I "jokingly" call wetbacks?" and him getting into multiple three ways that send the young prostitutes home smiling. That's not to mention the Capra-esque schmaltz in regards to his criminal actions and how every woman in the film exists to either have their asses shown to a degree that would make Bay blush or to reinforce what a neglectful father he is and how he’s hurt them.

I generally love Eastwood and defend many of his later films. Between this and 15:17 to Paris, I think he may finally have lost “it.”

Putting it on a list of greats is baffling and leaving off Toy Story 4 makes it HIGHLY suspect.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:15 pm

also I saw TRoS and didn't enjoy myself. too frantic, too desperate to please, too much recycling and Xeroxing the Star Wars Greatest Hits, strangely passive aggressive (“sorry not sorry Rian lol”) nothing feels earned, nothing feels organic. and too risk-averse and lacking its own identity to be a genuinely enjoyable bad movie.

I’d be curious how many bad choices were because JJ has a paucity of imagination or because Disney hired a bunch of Lindsey Naegle-types for post-TLJ damage control. maybe in like 10-years there will be a warts-and-all history on the making of these movies.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:24 pm

This review captures a lot of how I felt about the film, while being kinder to The Last Jedi than I likely would have:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat ... 3_cqZnrCOI
Rock

Post by Rock » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:06 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:20 pm
The Mule's trailer is something of a masterpiece and implies it would be Eastwood's Irishman, to draw a recent parallel. What we get is a good ol' boy bout of "ain't my anti-PC vernacular charming to the Mexicans I "jokingly" call wetbacks?" and him getting into multiple three ways that send the young prostitutes home smiling. That's not to mention the Capra-esque schmaltz in regards to his criminal actions and how every woman in the film exists to either have their asses shown to a degree that would make Bay blush or to reinforce what a neglectful father he is and how he’s hurt them.

I generally love Eastwood and defend many of his later films. Between this and 15:17 to Paris, I think he may finally have lost “it.”

Putting it on a list of greats is baffling and leaving off Toy Story 4 makes it HIGHLY suspect.
I think the worst part about The Mule is that it seems to be okay with drug cartels as long as their members can hang with Clint Eastwood. Thankfully Richard Jewell is a lot better.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
The Guy in the Trenchcoat

Post by The Guy in the Trenchcoat » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:54 pm

I've heard that a Richard Jewell has a reporter (who is based off a real person) sleep with someone for a lead.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:58 pm

Rock wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:06 pm
I think the worst part about The Mule is that it seems to be okay with drug cartels as long as their members can hang with Clint Eastwood. Thankfully Richard Jewell is a lot better.
I like that it’s completely cool with his criminality because he’s so damn charming, or at least the film thinks he’s charming.

So I should make time and space for Richard Jewell? But I gotta see Cats and Black Christmas, bro!
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:37 am

The Mule wasn't all that good but at least I was able to sit through the whole thing. Which is more than I can say for The 15:17 to Paris. But I agree with all the bullet points people have mentioned. It certainly doesn't belong on any "Best of..." list. I might catch Richard Jewell in a few months when it comes to cable.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:40 am

I appreciate how everyone is going on about a Clint Eastwood movie in the Star Wars thread lol
Hipster Thor

Post by Hipster Thor » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:35 am

What a wholely uninteresting film. What a shame. TLJ is interesting. The Prequels are interesting failures. The only moment of sincerity, vision, or passion in the piece is when Ben Solo says goodbye to his father. Rest of the picture is just cold cynicism. I could talk about the rushed pacing of the film and how crammed everything is in there, but it would have to be interesting in order for me to care.

The ultimate irony is that I wish I had paid to see the Rian Johnson film playing the auditorium next to mine.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:31 pm

Hipster Thor wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:35 am
The only moment of sincerity, vision, or passion in the piece is when Ben Solo says goodbye to his father.
I still went "of course" under my breath when Han said "I know". another Star Wars Greatest Hits.
they also had Han stroke Ben's cheek similar to the moment in TFA. that could have probably worked organically i.e. Ben recalling his last moment with his father but with so much recycling done already I was like, "yeah, yeah just like in TFA...."
topherH

Post by topherH » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:43 pm

I guess I should watch The Mule.
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +

+ Recommended
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:17 pm

topherH wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:43 pm
I guess I should watch The Mule.

Ain't no grave gonna hold this body down
Stu

Post by Stu » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:42 pm

Hipster Thor wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:35 am
What a wholely uninteresting film. What a shame. TLJ is interesting. The Prequels are interesting failures. The only moment of sincerity, vision, or passion in the piece is when Ben Solo says goodbye to his father. Rest of the picture is just cold cynicism. I could talk about the rushed pacing of the film and how crammed everything is in there, but it would have to be interesting in order for me to care.

The ultimate irony is that I wish I had paid to see the Rian Johnson film playing the auditorium next to mine.
Thor!
Hipster Thor

Post by Hipster Thor » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:20 am

Stu wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:42 pm
Thor!
I lurk alot. I just dont have the time or energy I used to have to post about movies on discussion boards. Especially now that I am so busy I dont get to see much outside of cinema fantastique, so I'm kind of a film pleb. I dont have anything of value to offer on something like The Lighthouse.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:49 pm

by the way, I am absolutely willing to judge something like TRoS on the basis that is supposed to be nothing more than cinematic comfort food. like I think The Mandalorian is basically comfort food but it isn't piles of comfort food being shoved down my throat at 60mph.

even if JJ had an extra movie to spread out his ideas, I might still think they were bad (or at least derivative) ideas but at least I could consume them at a more suitable pace.
topherH

Post by topherH » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:17 pm

I would say that TLJ is more interesting than the other two, plus ROTJ, but who knows.
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +

+ Recommended
topherH

Post by topherH » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:17 pm

Hipster Thor wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:20 am
I lurk alot. I just dont have the time or energy I used to have to post about movies on discussion boards. Especially now that I am so busy I dont get to see much outside of cinema fantastique, so I'm kind of a film pleb. I dont have anything of value to offer on something like The Lighthouse.
It's okay, as long as you submit a Mule opinion it's all good.
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +

+ Recommended
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:00 pm

topherH wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:17 pm
I would say that TLJ is more interesting than the other two, plus ROTJ, but who knows.
I'm a lot more protective of TLJ than I was a few days ago that's for sure
Thief

Post by Thief » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:49 pm

Can I join the discourse and say that I was frustrated by TROS? Of course, I liked TLJ a lot, so take from that what you may. That 2-3 punch seems to be the chasm of this franchise.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:25 pm

I don't understand why you would be frustrated with TROS and not TLJ for directly resulting in a movie as such. People really just don't get how stupid of a "middle in a trilogy" movie it is, like, none of this is TROS's fault
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:28 pm

I find it interesting how TLJ got favorable critical reception yet trashed by the general public where the opposite is occurring with TROS. People are enjoying this movie! Real people! Really makes you think
Thief

Post by Thief » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:51 pm

The Nameless One wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:25 pm
I don't understand why you would be frustrated with TROS and not TLJ for directly resulting in a movie as such. People really just don't get how stupid of a "middle in a trilogy" movie it is, like, none of this is TROS's fault
Most of my issues with TROS are not a "result" of TLJ, but rather of it ignoring, disregarding, or shying away from the story that had already been started in the two previous films. From a narrative standpoint, it makes no sense to do so. I like to think myself as "real people", but overall, I didn't enjoy this new film, but was rather baffled by how clumsy it was.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:03 pm

The Nameless One wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:28 pm
I find it interesting how TLJ got favorable critical reception yet trashed by the general public where the opposite is occurring with TROS. People are enjoying this movie! Real people! Really makes you think
I don't know, got it trashed by the general public? Sure, it was divisive, but all my friends IRL enjoyed it, and those same friends seem to be lukewarm at best about TROS.
I mean, saying TLJ was only liked by critics is just as dishonest as saying only alt-right trolls hated TLJ.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:10 pm

Slentert wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:03 pm
I don't know, got it trashed by the general public? Sure, it was divisive, but all my friends IRL enjoyed it, and those same friends seem to be lukewarm at best about TROS.
I mean, saying TLJ was only liked by critics is just as dishonest as saying only alt-right trolls hated TLJ.
I fully understand that this operates on a spectrum, their are clearly exceptions to the math, but it's clear that the critical trajectory of TROS is a direct result of TLJ's reception - something shook Disney. The critical reception towards TROS points towards the problems TLJ introduced in terms of concluding this trilogy. TLJ dismantled TFA - like, what is Abrams supposed to do now that Johnson killed his big bad, Snoke? Revive Palpatine or whatever, lol. The big problem with TLJ is it was conclusive, and that's not the role of the fulcrum in a trilogy, there is not a lot of room for development past it's point so the writers of 3 are left with a monumental task of re-piecing the trilogy together in some cohesive manner. Combined with TLJ's overall, all things considered, reception, this equates to playing it safe as is the critics suggest. Nothing about TROS's reception surprises me, TLJ is an impossible movie to follow up, and I don't exactly consider this a fault of it as an individual thing... I'm fine with TLJ's anarchy... but it doesn't play nice with others

It's also worth noting the box office math. TLJ made significantly less than TFA, word of mouth obviously being a proponent to that. I'm sure Disney wasn't pleased with the receding returns.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:38 pm

The Nameless One wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:10 pm
I fully understand that this operates on a spectrum, their are clearly exceptions to the math, but it's clear that the critical trajectory of TROS is a direct result of TLJ's reception - something shook Disney. The critical reception towards TROS points towards the problems TLJ introduced in terms of concluding this trilogy. TLJ dismantled TFA - like, what is Abrams supposed to do now that Johnson killed his big bad, Snoke? Revive Palpatine or whatever, lol. The big problem with TLJ is it was conclusive, and that's not the role of the fulcrum in a trilogy, there is not a lot of room for development past it's point so the writers of 3 are left with a monumental task of re-piecing the trilogy together in some cohesive manner. Combined with TLJ's overall, all things considered, reception, this equates to playing it safe as is the critics suggest. Nothing about TROS's reception surprises me, TLJ is an impossible movie to follow up, and I don't exactly consider this a fault of it as an individual thing... I'm fine with TLJ's anarchy... but it doesn't play nice with others

It's also worth noting the box office math. TLJ made significantly less than TFA, word of mouth obviously being a proponent to that. I'm sure Disney wasn't pleased with the receding returns.
I haven't seen TROS, but I would agree TLJ does feel more like an end chapter than the middle act of a trilogy. TROS is also kind of hindered by the death of Carrie Fisher, who apparently was initially supposed to play a big part in this installment.