A noob's journey through cinema

Discuss anything you want.
Popcorn Reviews

Re: A noob's journey through cinema

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat May 04, 2019 7:46 pm

Yeah, I feel like I haven't posted a lot to this forum in the past few months as well. College has limited the amount of free time I have by more than I expected. Even when I have free time, I often hang out with my friends. I hope to have more time this summer and in the future.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Sat May 04, 2019 8:29 pm

I did it, guys, I made a blog. Look!

It's not completely finished yet, and I'm gonna change some stuff about it tomorrow. but it's up.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon May 06, 2019 6:00 pm

Slentert wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:29 pm
I did it, guys, I made a blog. Look!

It's not completely finished yet, and I'm gonna change some stuff about it tomorrow. but it's up.
Congrats! I wish you luck with it. Hell, I already gave up my thread, may your blog go much better.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Mon May 06, 2019 7:04 pm

Wooley wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:00 pm
Congrats! I wish you luck with it. Hell, I already gave up my thread, may your blog go much better.
Thanks, man! I really hope this isn't yet another one of my projects I give up on after a few weeks. Guess it is my responsibility to not make that happen.
I have two pieces finished and ready to post, and two other ones I'm in the middle of writing.
I'd also like to eventually branch out a little and write about more stuff than just movies, like comics perhaps (my other passion).
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Fri May 10, 2019 6:08 pm

My second piece is up.
It is about Sweetie (1989), Jane Campion's fascinating if sometimes slightly uneven debut feature.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Fri May 10, 2019 9:55 pm

I'm sure you've heard the term "Lynchian" as a catch-all definition for anything weird. David Foster Wallace had a pretty decent take and should I ever watch Sweetie again, I'll try to keep that in mind. see if it earns its comparison.

I remember Sweetie knocking me out pretty good. sometimes I feel like I'm the Sweetie of my family (just in the way of being problematic) so it wasn't as if I was saddened by the end. unless you count "pity" as "sad". 'cause even when I'm Sweetie, I also feel like I'm the other family members as well, battling it out inside my head and hoping to wrest control away from all that emotion.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Fri May 10, 2019 10:47 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:55 pm
I'm sure you've heard the term "Lynchian" as a catch-all definition for anything weird. David Foster Wallace had a pretty decent take and should I ever watch Sweetie again, I'll try to keep that in mind. see if it earns its comparison.
Indeed. I feel almost bad using it when discussing any movie, but I couldn't escape the fact that Sweetie really reminded me of Blue Velvet-Wild at Heart era Lynch. I hope Campion mentioning him as an influence in several interviews is enough to back up that suspicion.
Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:55 pm
I remember Sweetie knocking me out pretty good. sometimes I feel like I'm the Sweetie of my family (just in the way of being problematic) so it wasn't as if I was saddened by the end. unless you count "pity" as "sad". 'cause even when I'm Sweetie, I also feel like I'm the other family members as well, battling it out inside my head and hoping to wrest control away from all that emotion.
Same. I have been wrestling with my autism for years now, dropping out of school despite having good grades, attending a special needs school for a while, to eventually switch over to homeschooling (which is what I am currently doing). So I can easily identify with being a 'Sweetie' of the family.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Sat May 11, 2019 11:38 am

in spite of all the diagnoses I have collected over the years, it is hard for me to let go of the thought that maybe there is nothing wrong with me other than being a lazy asshole. (speaking only for myself) it's not like I'm hamstrung by any sort of physical ailments.....
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Tue May 14, 2019 11:30 am

I remember the first time I saw Blue Velvet, I was 14 years old and it was playing on television. My mom was sitting next to me on the couch, asleep, and I kept hoping she wouldn't wake up until the movie was over. It was almost like I was partaking in some illegal activity, and not wanting to be caught added another layer of tension to the entire thing.

I'm a little bit older now, and slightly more well versed in the darker corners of cinema history. But I went to see Blue Velvet on the big screen, and yet again I felt a bit embarrassed while watching. I was surrounded by so many people, and it felt like I was letting them all in on some dark, intimate secret of mine.

Watching Blue Velvet is like waking up from a horrible nightmare, only to realize you are living in an even bigger one. A filthy world filled with violence, sex and violent sex. A beautiful looking piece of fruit, that is slowly rotting on the inside.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Wed May 15, 2019 8:51 am

In the end, Interstellar is a nearly 3 hour movie about McConaughey not wanting to be a responsible father and eventually getting permission from his daughter to do whatever he pleases.

Like Tarkovsky filtered through a chess computer.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed May 15, 2019 4:02 pm

Yeah, I didn't care enough about the characters for the final act to have much of an impact on me. In addition, I also found it ridiculous how,
after finally returning back home, Cooper didn't even bother to ask about his son's fate.
This, in addition to the idiotic "love transcending dimensions" theme and other Nolan-isms like the constant exposition/hand-holding and the ridiculous final act twist made this a rather forgettable film in my opinion. I liked Dunkirk much more though.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri May 17, 2019 12:14 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 4:02 pm
Yeah, I didn't care enough about the characters for the final act to have much of an impact on me. In addition, I also found it ridiculous how,
after finally returning back home, Cooper didn't even bother to ask about his son's fate.
This, in addition to the idiotic "love transcending dimensions" theme and other Nolan-isms like the constant exposition/hand-holding and the ridiculous final act twist made this a rather forgettable film in my opinion. I liked Dunkirk much more though.
His exposition drives me nuts.
"What about escalation?"
Shut up, Gary.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Mon May 20, 2019 8:30 pm

Sunset (2018)

Evocative, piercing and frustrating. László Nemes delivers a more than worthy follow-up to his Oscar winning Holocaust drama Son of Saul. He drops you into living-and-breathing history without any context, as a person would actually live it instead of when a person would read about it. Making history an experience and not just a dead object one can safely study in a museum.
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue May 21, 2019 4:20 am

I'm a big fan of Son of Saul so I really want to watch that one, but I missed it at TIFF and when it played in theatres here. I'll get to it once it hits Netflix/Blu-ray but I thought Son of Saul benefited from being seen on the big screen so I'm a little peeved I didn't get to see this one in theatres as well.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!