Apex Predator's Film Thread Volume 2.0

Discuss anything you want.
Thief

Re: Apex Predator's Film Thread Volume 2.0

Post by Thief » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:51 pm

Yeah, I wasn't expecting to like it that much. Have issues with the gender politics in it, but overall, a fine film.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:34 pm

Thief wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:51 pm
Yeah, I wasn't expecting to like it that much. Have issues with the gender politics in it, but overall, a fine film.
That's always going to be an issue with the majority of older films. Women weren't exactly given a lot of options at the time.

And filmmakers weren't exactly imaginative to rethink the roles of women, either.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:41 pm

It's Only the End of the World (2017)

A writer named Louie (Gaspard Ulliel) who hadn't seen his family in years returns home to tell his family that he's dying. But it doesn't take long to realize why he's been away so long.

Antoine (Vincent Cassel) is hotheaded and has apparently married mousy wife Catherine (Marion Cotilliard) between visits. Suzanne (Lea Seydoux) is his younger sister and she barely remembers him at all. Mother Martine (Nathalie Baye) is worried about him and takes to smoking and drinking.

Will Louie be able to tell his family about what's happening? What will their reactions be?

I didn't have any issue with the performances here. They're fine. Musically, the song choices are decent.

But the script on the other hand feels stilted as if this were a play. You keep waiting for something to happen, but all too often, it feels like the cinematic equivalent of wet fireworks.

It's all anticipation with no impressive booms or shows of color.

Dolan is now 0 for 2 for me. Strike three and I may well be out on him.

D

Next: Go for the pin!
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:17 pm

Apex Predator wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:41 pm
Dolan is now 0 for 2 for me. Strike three and I may well be out on him.
I thought that Mommy was excellent and that Tom at the Farm was flawed but with some impactful moments. He's certainly a talented writer/director.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:44 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:17 pm
I thought that Mommy was excellent and that Tom at the Farm was flawed but with some impactful moments. He's certainly a talented writer/director.
Mommy was the first film I saw from him. Much like that one, World managed to give everyone one scene that they could turn into a highlight reel.

But also like Mommy, it felt like he needed someone to take over as a writer. He's not good at making built tension pay off.

Although to be fair, he was adapting from a play...
One that ended fairly similarly to the movie.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:09 pm

Apex Predator wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:44 pm
Mommy was the first film I saw from him. Much like that one, World managed to give everyone one scene that they could turn into a highlight reel.
You didn't like Mommy?! Or at least think it had enough merits to count as being worthwhile?! That kind of shocks me, to be honest. I thought the performances were really great and the central dilemma really well realized.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:36 pm

Heh. I apparently gave Mommy a B- so crisis averted for now. :oops:

I think my largest issue with that one was a structural decision that took a lot out of it.
Namely, the decision to include that crawl at the beginning that more or less gave away what the big decision was going to be about.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:44 pm

Apex Predator wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:36 pm
Heh. I apparently gave Mommy a B- so crisis averted for now. :oops:

I think my largest issue with that one was a structural decision that took a lot out of it.
Namely, the decision to include that crawl at the beginning that more or less gave away what the big decision was going to be about.
I don't think that the film needs the overall trajectory to be a mystery to work. In fact, I feel like the film is intentionally giving you that context so that you can consider the merits and problems with such a system. Knowing where the characters were headed didn't make their journey any less compelling or heartwrenching for me.