Apex Predator's Film Thread Volume 2.0

Discuss anything you want.
Apex Predator

Re: Apex Predator's Film Thread Volume 2.0

Post by Apex Predator » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:46 pm

Anatomy of Murder (1959)

Lovely freeform film about a trial that pits wily defense attorney Jimmy Stewart as he attempts to exonerate an Army Lieutenant (Ben Gazzara) from murdering a man who raped his wife (Lee Remick). But the prosecuting attorney has a few tricks up his sleeve including the state's attorney general (George C. Scott) who attempt to put the soldier away for life (or death row).

This film works on several levels. On the surface, it plays like a championship bout with the title being the life and future prospects of a man. Dive deeper and you get glimpses of Murder One or Law and Order as we get to see both sides of the trial as they react to various things that happened.

Well acted (of course it is) all the way down to Eve Arden as the long-suffering secretary of Stewart's attorney. Jazz score places the cherry on top of this delectable sundae.

There are a few questions (legal or otherwise) that bothered me at times. Such as the lack of a JAG in the trial involving a soldier.

But frankly, this is definitely 100 percent worth the hype. A-

Next: What it says on the tin.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:40 pm

Apex Predator wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:46 pm
Anatomy of Murder (1959)

Lovely freeform film about a trial that pits wily defense attorney Jimmy Stewart as he attempts to exonerate an Army Lieutenant (Ben Gazzara) from murdering a man who raped his wife (Lee Remick). But the prosecuting attorney has a few tricks up his sleeve including the state's attorney general (George C. Scott) who attempt to put the soldier away for life (or death row).

This film works on several levels. On the surface, it plays like a championship bout with the title being the life and future prospects of a man. Dive deeper and you get glimpses of Murder One or Law and Order as we get to see both sides of the trial as they react to various things that happened.

Well acted (of course it is) all the way down to Eve Arden as the long-suffering secretary of Stewart's attorney. Jazz score places the cherry on top of this delectable sundae.

There are a few questions (legal or otherwise) that bothered me at times. Such as the lack of a JAG in the trial involving a soldier.

But frankly, this is definitely 100 percent worth the hype. A-

Next: What it says on the tin.
I also thought this was really good.
In answer to your question: "When a violation of the UCMJ occurs, the matter is handled by the command of the service member. When a violation of a federal or state law occurs, the matter may be handled by local, state, or federal authorities." JAGs apparently only act as prosecutors or defense-attorneys in cases of Military Law (UCMJ, Uniform Code of Military Justice) infractions.
I learned something new today.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:12 pm

The Great Train Robbery (1903)

Not much story in this 12 minute short that covers a train robbery and the pursuit of the thieves by police.

But what it is about pales in comparison to the techniques used in this film that have made impact in the film industry. Stuff like location shooting and moving the camera frequently hadn't been done very much prior to this film...of course, both are second nature by now over a century later. The final shot of the film was considered an early influence of the James Bond movies where Bond shoots at the camera.

As a history lesson to early cinema, it's fascinating. As a film itself, it's not bad.

Next: When the legend becomes fact, print the legend.
Thief

Post by Thief » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:15 pm

I really enjoyed that one, for the reasons you mention. It's pretty cool to see how they implemented those things back then.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:50 am

Return of the Hero (2018)

Captain Neuville (Jean Dujardin) is wooing Pauline (Noemie Merlant) as the film opens. He learns that he's going to war in Austria just after proposing to her. So off he goes.

Pauline gets down when he breaks his promise to write her and keep her informed of what's going on. So sister Elisabeth (Melanie Laurent) decides to take pen and paper and forge letters of various thrilling happenings while continuing to woo his lover.

All good and the spirits head up. But in any film involving lying, one lie quickly grows to about 20 getting more and more elaborate as they go. Culminating in him facing overwhelming odds in a siege. Supposedly to write him off.

Problem is the Captain is back in town and he don't look so good. War and alcohol didn't agree with him and he wants to continue the marriage plans with the sister. She tries getting him to leave town, he's unwilling. Although Elisabeth has a lot of contempt for him, she reluctantly agrees to help him be convincing.

Of course, considering she thought he died, Pauline is now spoken for by another man (Christophe Montenez). And what of those sparks between the Captain and Liz? Is it just contempt at work here?

The primary drawback here is predictability. You can see from a mile away what's going to happen.

But there are multiple benefits. The two leads do have some nice chemistry together. There are amusing moments (it may not rise to hilarious, but I did leave with a smile on my face). And there's a certain amount of charm. Such as when Dujardin spends a couple of minutes playing around with a gun prior to a duel. Or when the Captain adds something to the story which surprises Elisabeth.

I liked this one. You can see this on Tubi TV.

Aside: The DVD we were watching in Murray got stuck as we were watching it. Despite several people trying to fix it and multiple attempts, I think we finally found a streaming solution that allowed us to finish this.

Next: There's a reason this took over a month to finnish.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:09 am

A Moment in the Reeds (2018)

Proof that not even shocking sex scenes can make a film interesting.

Leevi (Janne Puustinen) is a college student in France who returns to Finland for the summer to help his father fix up his place. Only he's not very eager to help his father. Until handyman Tareq (Boodi Kabbani) shows up. He speaks no French which is a problem with his father, but he proves to be handy with the tools.

When father is called away on business, Leevi and Tareq get to know each other. And before you know it, one thing leads to another.

What killed this film for me was its script. According to the director, he let the actors deliver their dialogue naturally. Which was a big mistake because every line of dialogue hits like a load of bricks. They spend minutes asking each other the most rudimentary questions that better films would have gladly sliced off to the cutting room floor. And after a long boredom, it turns into something out of Logo. Or what might be a cross between Logo and late night Cinemax.

Maybe you can enjoy those scenes with the sound off. Or maybe you can enjoy the budding romance on a surface level.

Either way, I think I have the worst luck picking LGBTQ films. Outside of Last Summer.

Next: I was a captive audience for this one. Not that I complained much.