Apex Predator's Film Thread Volume 2.0

Discuss anything you want.
Thief

Re: Apex Predator's Film Thread Volume 2.0

Post by Thief » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:51 pm

Yeah, I wasn't expecting to like it that much. Have issues with the gender politics in it, but overall, a fine film.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:34 pm

Thief wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:51 pm
Yeah, I wasn't expecting to like it that much. Have issues with the gender politics in it, but overall, a fine film.
That's always going to be an issue with the majority of older films. Women weren't exactly given a lot of options at the time.

And filmmakers weren't exactly imaginative to rethink the roles of women, either.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:41 pm

It's Only the End of the World (2017)

A writer named Louie (Gaspard Ulliel) who hadn't seen his family in years returns home to tell his family that he's dying. But it doesn't take long to realize why he's been away so long.

Antoine (Vincent Cassel) is hotheaded and has apparently married mousy wife Catherine (Marion Cotilliard) between visits. Suzanne (Lea Seydoux) is his younger sister and she barely remembers him at all. Mother Martine (Nathalie Baye) is worried about him and takes to smoking and drinking.

Will Louie be able to tell his family about what's happening? What will their reactions be?

I didn't have any issue with the performances here. They're fine. Musically, the song choices are decent.

But the script on the other hand feels stilted as if this were a play. You keep waiting for something to happen, but all too often, it feels like the cinematic equivalent of wet fireworks.

It's all anticipation with no impressive booms or shows of color.

Dolan is now 0 for 2 for me. Strike three and I may well be out on him.

D

Next: Go for the pin!
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:17 pm

Apex Predator wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:41 pm
Dolan is now 0 for 2 for me. Strike three and I may well be out on him.
I thought that Mommy was excellent and that Tom at the Farm was flawed but with some impactful moments. He's certainly a talented writer/director.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:44 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:17 pm
I thought that Mommy was excellent and that Tom at the Farm was flawed but with some impactful moments. He's certainly a talented writer/director.
Mommy was the first film I saw from him. Much like that one, World managed to give everyone one scene that they could turn into a highlight reel.

But also like Mommy, it felt like he needed someone to take over as a writer. He's not good at making built tension pay off.

Although to be fair, he was adapting from a play...
One that ended fairly similarly to the movie.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:09 pm

Apex Predator wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:44 pm
Mommy was the first film I saw from him. Much like that one, World managed to give everyone one scene that they could turn into a highlight reel.
You didn't like Mommy?! Or at least think it had enough merits to count as being worthwhile?! That kind of shocks me, to be honest. I thought the performances were really great and the central dilemma really well realized.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:36 pm

Heh. I apparently gave Mommy a B- so crisis averted for now. :oops:

I think my largest issue with that one was a structural decision that took a lot out of it.
Namely, the decision to include that crawl at the beginning that more or less gave away what the big decision was going to be about.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:44 pm

Apex Predator wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:36 pm
Heh. I apparently gave Mommy a B- so crisis averted for now. :oops:

I think my largest issue with that one was a structural decision that took a lot out of it.
Namely, the decision to include that crawl at the beginning that more or less gave away what the big decision was going to be about.
I don't think that the film needs the overall trajectory to be a mystery to work. In fact, I feel like the film is intentionally giving you that context so that you can consider the merits and problems with such a system. Knowing where the characters were headed didn't make their journey any less compelling or heartwrenching for me.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:22 pm

Wrestle (2019)

Four teenagers in an Alabama high school listed as failing are all members of its wrestling team, coached by recent college graduate Chris Scribner. Over the course of a year, Chris and the teens will have to deal with various family issues, drugs, teen pregnancy, mental health issues, and troubles with the law as they make the march over to state where only the top 8 wrestlers in the state in each weight division can compete.

The four boys also have something else in common: the lack of a dominant male figure in their lives. Chris tries to take that role as wrestling coach, but it's not always a good fit.

Of course, you have the angle of these athletes trying to make it into state. But you also have the students trying to grow into men, those that would value a college education and the doors it would open. And because this IS Alabama, race relations with the mostly white police do play a role as well.

I've seen several wrestling movies (VisionQuest, Take Down, bits and pieces of Legendary). But this is clearly the best of them all, perhaps because it shares some DNA with Hoop Dreams in that sports are a window into what people can be and who they are.

See this one.

Next: True life story of a terrible crime, a rush to judgment, and justice delayed.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:54 pm

Hey.

Stop what you're doing!

If you got Prime, I got waa-waa-waa-Action for you!

Who Killed Captain Alex? is now streaming.

This ends my announcement. Now back to the thread in progress.

And give me the cookie now!
Thief

Post by Thief » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:55 pm

Apex Predator wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:54 pm
Hey.

Stop what you're doing!

If you got Prime, I got waa-waa-waa-Action for you!

Who Killed Captain Alex? is now streaming.

This ends my announcement. Now back to the thread in progress.

And give me the cookie now!
Seconded! This is your chance to see Uganda's gift to cinema.

Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:33 pm

Honest truth, there's a honesty and a joy to their filmmaking that makes it rise above something like The Incredible Bulk.

If more films from Wakaliland became available to stream, I'd definitely check them out.

Onto something a bit more serious...

Central Park Five (2012)

There's been a lot of discussion about Ava DuVarney's When They See Us, which is a mini-series dramatization of a case involving a sexual assault of a jogger in Central Park and the railroading of justice involving five accused young African American men who were quickly tried and convicted of the crime and the years they had to wait before they found the right assailant.

This is the documentary version of what happened in the 1989 case that enthralled a nation and even features Donald Trump in a cameo (I think it had to do with a full page ad in the New York Times that he purchased?).

Among the directors is TV documentarian Ken Burns, his daughter Sarah, and David McMahon. With the recollections of four of the men who were accused (and later cleared) on what they were doing that night, footage of the hours long interrogation that each of them had to endure, memories of the TV and newspaper coverage, and discussion of the trial from multiple perspectives, an infuriating case builds brick by brick of a travesty of justice.

Yeah, they may have been cleared. But the ultimate point of this is that this will hover over them for the rest of their lives (who knows what they might have become if they weren't victims of a rush to justice?).

It's well done.

Next: A photographer reflects on her life and that of her neighbors when she gets some surprising news.
Thief

Post by Thief » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:03 pm

Apex Predator wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:33 pm
Honest truth, there's a honesty and a joy to their filmmaking that makes it rise above something like The Incredible Bulk.

If more films from Wakaliland became available to stream, I'd definitely check them out.
I totally agree. Seen within the context of the situation and limitations of the filmmaker, I'd say it's a pretty interesting watch.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:21 am

I'm currently gathering ideas for my HauntedWeen 2019.

In:
Mom and Dad (2018)
Suck (2009) (Someone was raving about this in RT, not sure who though)
Us/Ma (2019) (Finally using my Redbox free coupon)
I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House (2016)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

Possible:
Paranormal Activity 4 (2012)
The Lords of Salem (2013)
31 (2016)

It's early so this list might be edited as I think of more.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:57 pm

Apex Predator wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:21 am
I'm currently gathering ideas for my HauntedWeen 2019.

The Lords of Salem (2013)
31 (2016)
I would watch both of those if I were you.
I'm not saying you'll like both or either, but they are worth seeing as they are their own thing and while I wouldn't necessarily say they both succeed completely, neither really totally fails either, so you're safe in that regard.
Plus, you get Sex Head.
Thief

Post by Thief » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:44 pm

I might've thrown some of these suggestions to you or others on my thread, most of which where thrown to me first by someone else, but here they are anyway... (trying to stay away from the obvious ones)

Green Room
It Comes at Night
Train to Busan
The Witch
The Wicker Man
Chained
Don't Breathe
Martyrs
Crush the Skull
Bone Tomahawk
Kill List
Stoker
Summer of 84
Scarecrows
The Day of the Triffids
Night of the Demon
The Bay
The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue
Spring
The Tingler
Slither
What We Do in the Shadows
Tucker and Dale vs. Evil

These are all of varying quality (some great, some fun) but I think all of them are, at least, worth a watch.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:47 pm

Wooley wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:57 pm
I would watch both of those if I were you.
I'm not saying you'll like both or either, but they are worth seeing as they are their own thing and while I wouldn't necessarily say they both succeed completely, neither really totally fails either, so you're safe in that regard.
Plus, you get Sex Head.
Will keep that in mind.

I did some blind buying as our one video store is going out of business.

Ended up getting 2001 (so no excuses on the inevitable re-watch), American Sniper (my 2014 project gets another boost), The Bronze, and Mom and Dad for about $8. Also, I might have to look into getting one of those video racks for free (transport might be an issue, but I can get more room for other things as a result.