We Didn't Start The 80s

Discuss anything you want.
Wooley

Re: We Didn't Start The 80s

Post by Wooley » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:36 pm

Torgo wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:05 pm
Night of the Creeps may be the definitive '80s genre movie. It has space aliens, zombies, nostalgia for the '50s, rivalries between jocks and nerds against each other and for the affections of a beautiful woman, gratuitous nudity and even a Dick Miller cameo. It may be to the '80s what Stranger Things is to the 2010's more than any other property; I mean, there's even a Hopper in Detective Cameron, a cop seeking to overcome a traumatic past played by another '80s icon (and his moustache), Tom Atkins. While it's not the best '80s horror comedy - I'd rank it below Return of the Living Dead and the same director's own Monster Squad - but it's definitely one of the most fun and quotable entries.
Love the film. I'd probably also rank it below RotLD but WAY above Monster Squad, which sucks.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:26 pm

Wooley wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:36 pm
Love the film. I'd probably also rank it below RotLD but WAY above Monster Squad, which sucks.
Wow, quite a controversial take on a beloved movie. Wooley's got nards. 8-)
Besides being a sucker for Shane Black's writing, its love letter to classic Universal monsters, the way it rides the line between funny and scary and Duncan Regehr's awesome performance as Dracula won me over. Oh, and then there's all that dynamite.
Last Great Movie Seen
Razorback (Mulcahy, 1984)
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:21 pm

Torgo wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:26 pm
Wow, quite a controversial take on a beloved movie. Wooley's got nards. 8-)
Besides being a sucker for Shane Black's writing, its love letter to classic Universal monsters, the way it rides the line between funny and scary and Duncan Regehr's awesome performance as Dracula won me over. Oh, and then there's all that dynamite.
Yeah, my vitriol for that film was a subject of much discussion some years ago on the RT forum. Exactly the kind of kids movie and 80s movie I hate. No edge at all. None.
"Wolfman's got nards" may be my most hated line of that decade; it is certainly symbolic to me of the shitty side of that decade.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:26 pm

Monster Squad >>> Lost Boys
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:28 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:26 pm
Monster Squad >>> Lost Boys
Well, The Lost Boys is actually terrible, so...
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:28 am

While it doesn't quite reach the level of Car Wash and Falling Down, I still believe Schumacher did a good job with The Lost Boys. Overall, he's a pretty talented writer/director who's not exactly the best at choosing projects.
Last Great Movie Seen
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:44 am

Torgo wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:28 am
While it doesn't quite reach the level of Car Wash and Falling Down, I still believe Schumacher did a good job with The Lost Boys. Overall, he's a pretty talented writer/director who's not exactly the best at choosing projects.
I rewatched it a few years ago and reacted very negatively to it, vowing that I would trust myself and never give it another shot. I mean, I really thought it was awful.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:58 am

Lost Boys is both stupid and great.
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:12 am

As far as Schumacher's 80s work goes, The Incredible Shrinking Woman with Lily Tomlin is a lot of fun.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:17 am

Rock wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:12 am
As far as Schumacher's 80s work goes, The Incredible Shrinking Woman with Lily Tomlin is a lot of fun.
Man, I used to love that movie, haven't seen it in an age!
But Lily Tomlin is one of the most overlooked treasures ever, IMO.
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:21 am

I recently watched that, All of Me and The Late Show for the first time recently. She's a goddamn delight in all of them.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:54 am

Rock wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:21 am
I recently watched that, All of Me and The Late Show for the first time recently. She's a goddamn delight in all of them.
Don't forget 9 to 5.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:31 pm

Wooley wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:28 pm
Well, The Lost Boys is actually terrible, so...
Your mother.
Ain't no grave gonna hold this body down
Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:18 am

Wooley wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:54 am
Don't forget 9 to 5.
I still haven't seen that one. I foolishly assumed it was on Canadian Netflix so I didn't bother renting it when I was at the video store, only to come home and realize once again that nothing is on Canadian Netflix.
____
Blog!
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:14 pm

Battle Beyond the Stars is good fun. Sure, it's basically Seven Samurai in space, but it has creativity and ingenuity where it counts. Each mercenary from George Peppard's whiskey-loving Cowboy to the telepathically-linked Nestors is memorable and endearing. Screenwriter John Sayles, who has always shown interest in and concern for downtrodden and/or subjugated people, likely has a lot to do with this. The space battles, courtesy of James Cameron, are also surprisingly tense and exciting given the production's obviously low budget. It's a movie that gives you the added sensation of feeling like you're at a drive-in or with your pals in your basement on a Friday night regardless of how and where you watch it. It also has the strangest-looking spaceship I've probably ever seen: the hero's ship looks like a female reproductive system, but with tits. Also, isn't Richard Thomas a dead ringer for Nicholas Hoult?
Last Great Movie Seen
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:46 pm

Torgo wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:14 pm
Battle Beyond the Stars is good fun. Sure, it's basically Seven Samurai in space, but it has creativity and ingenuity where it counts. Each mercenary from George Peppard's whiskey-loving Cowboy to the telepathically-linked Nestors is memorable and endearing. Screenwriter John Sayles, who has always shown interest in and concern for downtrodden and/or subjugated people, likely has a lot to do with this. The space battles, courtesy of James Cameron, are also surprisingly tense and exciting given the production's obviously low budget. It's a movie that gives you the added sensation of feeling like you're at a drive-in or with your pals in your basement on a Friday night regardless of how and where you watch it. It also has the strangest-looking spaceship I've probably ever seen: the hero's ship looks like a female reproductive system, but with tits. Also, isn't Richard Thomas a dead ringer for Nicholas Hoult?
Agreed.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:39 pm

Who started the 80s, Gyneromney?
Captain Terror

Re: We Didnt Start The 80s

Post by Captain Terror » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:24 pm

Williamequiz wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:56 pm
Skull Girl Soap Feature
Have you been spying on my search history?
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:57 pm

Williamequiz wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:56 pm
Hoovers Magazine Feb 2015 Issue

Forever Home: Bluff Park family on the cover and featured in the "At Home" section.
Owls Holllow Farm Market and Skull Girl Soap Feature
I used to hollow out owls but it got too messy.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:09 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:24 pm
Have you been spying on my search history?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
I actually cackled at that.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:30 pm

Leviathan is a definitive '80s movie if there ever was one. Set in an underwater facility not far removed from the one in the same year's The Abyss, it features a cast of that guys and gals such as Amanda Pays, Peter Weller, Ernie Hudson and Daniel Stern (if you guessed that he plays the perverted creep who nobody likes, you're right. I mean, it's Daniel Stern and his character's name is Buzz. Is that even a spoiler?). A discovery on a nearby sunken Russian (of course) craft leads to the formation of a genetic abomination who wreaks havoc on the crew. In addition to its cast, its shameless rehashing of Alien and The Thing, Jerry Goldsmith score and theme of corporations exploiting their employees make the decade in which it was made plainly obvious. Despite being not very original, its genuine thrills, game cast, impressive makeup and special effects and ending, which never stopped surprising me, make it better than it has any right to be. What's more, it's funny in obvious and subtle ways, whether it be Weller reading a cheesy business management book in a crisis or a character named DeJesus wearing a Star of David necklace.
Last Great Movie Seen
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:40 pm

Torgo wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:30 pm
Leviathan is a definitive '80s movie if there ever was one.
You spelled Deepstar Six incorrectly.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:46 pm

Death Proof wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:40 pm
You spelled Deepstar Six incorrectly.
That is next on my watch list. Someone else on Letterboxd who also posts here (Dukefrukem) also mentioned that it and The Abyss are superior to Leviathan.
Last Great Movie Seen
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:16 pm

Leviathan was in theaters during my brief career as a movie theater ticket-taker, and my main memory of it is that 4 out of 5 patrons pronounced it "Levitation". I wondered if any of them were confused when no one levitated.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:54 pm

Torgo wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:46 pm
That is next on my watch list. Someone else on Letterboxd who also posts here (Dukefrukem) also mentioned that it and The Abyss are superior to Leviathan.

Check out The Rift, which stars R. Lee Ermey, Jack Scalia (best 80's hair ever) and Ray Wise. The monster effects are laughable. Actually the entire movie is pretty laughable. And there's a guy who looks like The Most Interesting Man in the World. I did a scene-by-scene way back on RT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rift_(1990_film)

"His hair was perfect"

"I don't usually get killed by underwater slime monsters but when I do, it's in The Rift."
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:10 pm

Torgo wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:30 pm
Leviathan is a definitive '80s movie if there ever was one. Set in an underwater facility not far removed from the one in the same year's The Abyss, it features a cast of that guys and gals such as Amanda Pays, Peter Weller, Ernie Hudson and Daniel Stern (if you guessed that he plays the perverted creep who nobody likes, you're right. I mean, it's Daniel Stern and his character's name is Buzz. Is that even a spoiler?). A discovery on a nearby sunken Russian (of course) craft leads to the formation of a genetic abomination who wreaks havoc on the crew. In addition to its cast, its shameless rehashing of Alien and The Thing, Jerry Goldsmith score and theme of corporations exploiting their employees make the decade in which it was made plainly obvious. Despite being not very original, its genuine thrills, game cast, impressive makeup and special effects and ending, which never stopped surprising me, make it better than it has any right to be. What's more, it's funny in obvious and subtle ways, whether it be Weller reading a cheesy business management book in a crisis or a character named DeJesus wearing a Star of David necklace.
I really liked this movie when I saw it in the theater, even though I knew it wasn't "good". Maybe the first movie I was ever able to make that distinction about.
And I did strongly prefer it to Deepstar Six. But then, I saw Leviathan first.
undinum

Post by undinum » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:43 pm

10 albums, linked track = funnest to sing along with in the shower

Kate & Anna McGarrigle – Love Over and Over (they're #1 in every decade, every day, every second)
Marshall Crenshaw – Marshall Crenshaw (awesome fan vid, like dude remembered kathleen turner in crimes of passion??)
Camper Van Beethoven – Key Lime Pie (david lowery, pynchon of pop. but don't hold that against him)
Ramones – Too Tough to Die (hey axl, this record is how you get away with singing "faggot" "in character", schmuck)
Young Fresh Fellows – The Men Who Loved Music (humour has no place in songcraft)
Cyndi Lauper – She's So Unusual (i enjoy wearing women's underwear)
The Replacements – Let It Be (this record helped me come to terms with enjoying wearing women's underwear)
Prince – Dirty Mind (or was it this one?)
Michael Hurley – Snockgrass (humour has no place in snockgrass)
Bruce Springsteen – Tunnel of Love (:cry: :cry:)
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:15 am

undinum wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:43 pm
10 albums, linked track = funnest to sing along with in the shower

Prince – Dirty Mind (or was it this one?)
I unabashedly, unironically love this song.
undinum

Post by undinum » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:18 am

Of course you do. You have two ears and a heart. (I assume.)
undinum

Post by undinum » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:55 pm

Here's an interesting two-part overview of the decade's films and industry trends I scanned from Film Comment Nov/Dec '89. Greil Marcus has a text-only version of his wrap-up (less a best-of list than a selection of films and writings he interprets as reflective of or a reaction to Reagan in some important way) on his website, but there's no clean scan of the whole thing I can see immediately available.

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6
Page 7

I have a bunch of old issues of Film Comment, American Cinematographer, CineAction (Canadian left-wing zine co-founded by Robin Wood), After Dark (NYC arts&culture/gay interest mag), and others from the era. I will be posting more faves but if anyone has any requests for certain writers, pieces, or full issues lemme know and I'll see what I can do!
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:51 am

undinum wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:55 pm
I have a bunch of old issues of Film Comment, American Cinematographer, CineAction (Canadian left-wing zine co-founded by Robin Wood), After Dark (NYC arts&culture/gay interest mag), and others from the era. I will be posting more faves but if anyone has any requests for certain writers, pieces, or full issues lemme know and I'll see what I can do!
Thanks for helping to spruce up the thread. I apprecitated the Marcus piece, although he can be a boob sometimes (Meaning of Life = "mostly terrible" :roll: )

I don't know if I have anything other than some random Starlog and Fangoria issues to scan. Maybe a Mr. T interview or two....
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:28 am

Started Make My Day: Movie Culture in the Age of Reagan by J. Hoberman. Anybody else here read this?
____
Blog!
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:22 am

Rock wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:28 am
Started Make My Day: Movie Culture in the Age of Reagan by J. Hoberman. Anybody else here read this?
I've read his Dream Life, ostensibly about 60s American cinema but inevitably oriented in New Hollywood 70s (and also featuring a pic of Dirty Harry on its cover), which covers the type of sociopolitical ground that I can't resist, but Hoberman isn't always an interesting or insightful enough writer to sutain its 400 pages.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:28 am

Rock wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:28 am
I have, the rest of the trilogy as well. I enjoyed it though I was slightly disappointed that so many of the movies he does a deep dive into are popular/canonized i.e. not enough obscure stuff. but then, that popular culture (and the way Reagan appropriated it) was dominant.
Rump

Post by Rump » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:46 pm

Tonights viewing...

Any good!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:56 pm

Rump wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:46 pm
Tonights viewing...

Any good!
Where did you get it?!
This is one of my favorite movies but I have not found it anywhere for about 10 years.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:01 pm

May I strongly recommend following that up with:

Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:05 pm

Rump wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:46 pm
Tonights viewing...

Any good!
It's alright. Very mid-80s cold war comedy/thriller. This and Vision Quest made Fiorentino one of the era's great dream girls.
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:22 am

Grabbed that one at the video store just now. Will chime in later this week on how it compares to the Anthony Edwards holy trinity of Miracle Mile, Top Gun and Revenge of the Nerds.
____
Blog!
Rump

Post by Rump » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:03 pm

Wooley wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:56 pm
Where did you get it?!
This is one of my favorite movies but I have not found it anywhere for about 10 years.
Released on blu ray 12 days ago Wooley Bully ;)
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:40 pm

Rump wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:03 pm
Released on blu ray 12 days ago Wooley Bully ;)
WHAT?!!!
This is great news!
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:19 pm

Even though Deepstar Six is not very original and I knew exactly where it was headed from the start, I enjoyed it. The purpose of this movie's high-tech undersea facility is to build a missile platform to keep those pesky Russians at bay (pardon the pun). Despite the facility's impressive look and feel, it's an overworked, underfunded project and there's no time to research what horrors the base's engineers could release. Naturally, they end up unearthing a gigantic and very hungry crustacean. I saw Deepstar Six's sister movie, Leviathan, for the first time not too long ago, so it's impossible for me to critique it without comparing the two. I like that Deepstar Six can be taken as a cautionary tale about the consequences of prolonging the Cold War, and while the ensemble has some stock characters like Mac from Predator-adjacent basket case Snyder and unlikable, all-business-all-the-time Van Gelder, the ensemble is less cartoonish, has better dialogue and as a result is slightly more unpredictable than Leviathan's. However, it spends too much runtime on recovering from the havoc the monster wreaks and on technical discussions regarding said repairs that the suspense and my interest waned at times. Also, while Jaws demonstrates the benefits of not showing the monster too much, Deepstar Six takes this advice so far that I almost forgot that the movie has a monster. In short, the pluses and minuses of this movie and Leviathan average out to make them about the same in quality. Each movie pales in comparison to that other 1989 movie set in an underwater facility (The Abyss) and really pale to the one that inspired it (Alien), but they are still worth watching for their genre thrills and for their historical significance. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to stay above sea level for a very long time.
Last Great Movie Seen
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:18 am

Rock wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:22 am
Grabbed that one at the video store just now. Will chime in later this week on how it compares to the Anthony Edwards holy trinity of Miracle Mile, Top Gun and Revenge of the Nerds.
Not bad. I realized it's from the director of Revenge of the Nerds, which explains why the scenes of Edwards being a dork feel more assured than all the espionage stuff, which really depends on Fiorentino's charisma to work. I wish the game had been tied more thoroughly into the plot (it only really figures into the opening and ending) and I find it weird that the Latino character is revealed to have gang connections which are never mentioned before or after that one scene.

The holy trinity is intact.
____
Blog!
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:43 pm

Rock wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:18 am
The holy trinity is intact.
Eh, I probably liked Gotcha better than Nerds, which despite its feigned underdog status is still basically just another frat-boy sex comedy to me.

Maybe Mr. North can shake up your congregation?
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:16 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:43 pm
Eh, I probably liked Gotcha better than Nerds, which despite its feigned underdog status is still basically just another frat-boy sex comedy to me.
I think that almost schizophrenic approach is what makes the movie most interesting to me. There's a weird dissonance between the movie's more genial aspects (the Edwards-Meyrink relationship and the depiction of the nerds, even with some unfortunate stereotyping the movie genuinely likes them) and its uglier elements, even though both are arguably standard genre tropes. Part of me would like to see a remake that leans entirely into the latter so that it turns into self-criticism, although I can't imagine a modern version pulling that off successfully without either becoming entirely what targets or coming off as a shrill, unfunny lecture. Also, I really like the talent show sequence.
Maybe Mr. North can shake up your congregation?
Looks like the video store carries it. Might check it out next week. (I got Eastwood's Firefox and a couple of kung fu movies to get through this week, plus a freebie mystery DVD ***ooohhhh*** I got as part of some promotion they're doing.)
____
Blog!
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:17 am

Actually, The Sure Thing is probably better than Revenge of the Nerds, but he's only in a handful of scenes so it doesn't make sense to break up the holy trinity.
____
Blog!
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:33 am

Rock wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:17 am
Actually, The Sure Thing is probably better than Revenge of the Nerds, but he's only in a handful of scenes so it doesn't make sense to break up the holy trinity.
I immediately went to Fast Times, which has even less Anthony Edwards, so I dunno.

I don't even know anything about some of these - Summer Heat, Hawks, Downtown. I thought How I Got Into College was pretty amusing, and El Diablo wasn't bad, but I haven't seen either in ages.
Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:46 am

I should probably prioritize Fast Times given my extremely half-assed run through '80s comedies over the last few months.
____
Blog!
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:50 am

Rock wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:46 am
I should probably prioritize Fast Times given my extremely half-assed run through '80s comedies over the last few months.
I think it is pretty easily the best one.

The Last American Virgin has some merits as well. But maybe only if one goes into it not knowing much about it.
Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:59 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:50 am
The Last American Virgin has some merits as well. But maybe only if one goes into it not knowing much about it.
I've seen that one and liked it, although the heavier elements worked a lot better for me than the pure teen sex comedy stuff.
____
Blog!