We Didn't Start The 80s

Discuss anything you want.
Rock

Re: We Didn't Start The 80s

Post by Rock » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:59 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:50 am
The Last American Virgin has some merits as well. But maybe only if one goes into it not knowing much about it.
I've seen that one and liked it, although the heavier elements worked a lot better for me than the pure teen sex comedy stuff.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:02 am

Rock wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:59 am
I've seen that one and liked it, although the heavier elements worked a lot better for me than the pure teen sex comedy stuff.
For me the teen sex comedy is just a Trojan Horse for those heavier elements. I don't think I remember laughing at it much.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:55 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:50 am
The Last American Virgin has some merits as well. But maybe only if one goes into it not knowing much about it.
An all-time favorite.
Rump

Post by Rump » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:59 pm

Tonights 80's entertainment...

Looks alright ;)
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:30 am

Rump wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:59 pm
Tonights 80's entertainment...

Looks alright ;)
I recently re-watched this film (having not seen it since the 80s) so I'll be intrigued.
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:31 am

Rock wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:46 am
I should probably prioritize Fast Times given my extremely half-assed run through '80s comedies over the last few months.
Ok, I grabbed this and Valley Girl for some '80s teencom goodness. Also, Endless Love with Brooke Shields because the post-it on the cover placed by the video store staff promised some delicious sociopathy.

(Also Legend of the Mountain, but that's not from the '80s so I will speak no more of it here.)
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:59 am

On a non-comedic '80s note, Clint Eastwood's Firefox is pretty lame. There's some novelty in the flight sequences in the last half hour, which are a halfway point between Star Wars and Top Gun, but the hour and forty five minutes before that are a total slog. The problem is that a) Eastwood doesn't really have a feel for the espionage elements that make up those sections and b) all the heroes are defined by their hatred of the Soviets and neither them nor the villains have any other discerning qualities (except Eastwood's character's PTSD, although that barely figures into the proceedings).
____
Blog!
Rock

Post by Rock » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:43 am

Rock wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:31 am
Ok, I grabbed this and Valley Girl for some '80s teencom goodness. Also, Endless Love with Brooke Shields because the post-it on the cover placed by the video store staff promised some delicious sociopathy.

(Also Legend of the Mountain, but that's not from the '80s so I will speak no more of it here.)
So...

Fast Times is very good (and I wonder what the hell movie Ebert watched because the movie isn't guilty of anything he accuses it of), but Valley Girl really did it for me. Cage before he went full Cage but still distinctly Cage ends up being surprisingly effective in a romcom.

Endless Love has some amusing camp value but was grossly oversold to me in that regard. There's also an unintentional element of discomfort in the age difference between the leads, Brooke Shields being an actual teenager playing a teenager while Martin Hewitt looking twice her age.

(Also, off topic, but Legend of the Mountain is terrific and terrifically gorgeous. I might still be feeling the high from the movie, but I'm tempted to call it one of the best looking movies I've ever seen.)
____
Blog!
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:24 am

Birdy remains the great unsung Nicolas Cage 80s classic.

Why does everyone I bring this film up to think I'm talking about some kind of Clint Eastwood movie?
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:03 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:24 am
Why does everyone I bring this film up to think I'm talking about some kind of Clint Eastwood movie?
Kidding or no? I honestly can't tell most of the time these days.
Ain't no grave gonna hold this body down
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:21 am

Death Proof wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:03 am
Kidding or no? I honestly can't tell most of the time these days.
Most people think I'm referring to Clint's film about Charlie Parker, Bird, instead.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:05 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:21 am
Most people think I'm referring to Clint's film about Charlie Parker, Bird, instead.
I figured there was no way you'd never heard of Clint's movie, but like I said - it gets harder and harder to pick out the sarcasm these days.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:56 pm

Everybody just calm right down.

I've never been more serious about anything in my life than I am in insisting that Birdy is not a Clint Eastwood movie. Together, perhaps, we can make it past this nightmare of misattribution.

*smiley emoji*
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:57 pm

Road House surprised me in a good way. I went in thinking it would be a so bad, it's good cheese fest, and while it has plenty of (good) cheese, I found it to be much more thoughtful and heartfelt that I anticipated. While the movie has a lot going for it from the strong cast that includes Kelly Lynch, Red West and Sam Elliott to quotable dialogue like "pain don't hurt," its Dalton's and thus the movie's philosophy that is the movie's secret sauce. Summarized in another one of movie's maxims, "nobody wins a fight," I appreciate its stance that the only fight worth having is one to defend and protect your loved ones. There are some cringe-worthy moments here and there that may have been cool in 1989, but haven't aged well, and some of the characters' decisions - Wesley's in particular - deserve scrutiny even if they result in good action scenes. Even so, I now have a go-to whenever anyone asks me for a suggestion about a fun '80s movie...especially if the person asking is a rowdy type.
Last Great Movie Seen
Foreign Correspondent (Hitchcock, 1940)
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:08 pm

I was really disappointed with Action Jackson. It's the cinematic equivalent of Fruit Stripe gum: while it's satisfying at first, it gets more bland and flavorless as time passes. A lot of that disappointment is on me and what I assumed I was in for, but with a title like Action Jackson, Carl Weathers in the starring role and that DVD cover, how could anyone not believe it's over the top, slightly satirical and, well, fun? It promises to have such qualities early on, but it ends up being just another action movie about a male cop who plays by his own rules versus a big bad businessman - specifically, Weathers' sergeant versus sleazy car magnate Peter Dellaplane (Craig T. Nelson) - that uses all of the same old tricks from the Joel Silver playbook. From Happy Gilmore to The Mandalorian, I've loved all of Carl Weathers' performances, but if this movie is any indication, he's better suited for character work because as the movie went on, he seemed to be as equally uninterested and overwhelmed by all the stultifying familiarity as I was. Vanity and the always-reliable Al Leong provide the movie with much-needed life, and if anything, the movie is valuable as a cultural artifact of 1988; after all, it is incredibly 1988. Even so, your time would be better spent watching Shakedown from the same year because it's all of those things plus the things I assumed I'd find in Action Jackson.
Last Great Movie Seen
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:51 pm

Torgo wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:08 pm
I was really disappointed with Action Jackson. It's the cinematic equivalent of Fruit Stripe gum: while it's satisfying at first, it gets more bland and flavorless as time passes. A lot of that disappointment is on me and what I assumed I was in for, but with a title like Action Jackson, Carl Weathers in the starring role and that DVD cover, how could anyone not believe it's over the top, slightly satirical and, well, fun? It promises to have such qualities early on, but it ends up being just another action movie about a male cop who plays by his own rules versus a big bad businessman - specifically, Weathers' sergeant versus sleazy car magnate Peter Dellaplane (Craig T. Nelson) - that uses all of the same old tricks from the Joel Silver playbook. From Happy Gilmore to The Mandalorian, I've loved all of Carl Weathers' performances, but if this movie is any indication, he's better suited for character work because as the movie went on, he seemed to be as equally uninterested and overwhelmed by all the stultifying familiarity as I was. Vanity and the always-reliable Al Leong provide the movie with much-needed life, and if anything, the movie is valuable as a cultural artifact of 1988; after all, it is incredibly 1988. Even so, your time would be better spent watching Shakedown from the same year because it's all of those things plus the things I assumed I'd find in Action Jackson.
Aw, I love that movie. Glorious 80's cheese.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:24 am

Death Proof wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:51 pm
Aw, I love that movie. Glorious 80's cheese.
I'm surprised I couldn't get into it because that's my favorite kind of cheese. I did like Al Leong, Vanity (aside from the obvious reason), the music and the visuals, at least.
Oh, and Thomas F. Wilson, a.k.a. Biff. It's always nice to see him.
Last Great Movie Seen
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:22 am

Torgo wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:24 am
I'm surprised I couldn't get into it because that's my favorite kind of cheese. I did like Al Leong, Vanity (aside from the obvious reason), the music and the visuals, at least.
Oh, and Thomas F. Wilson, a.k.a. Biff. It's always nice to see him.

Music by Herbie Hancock

I love how they have to force his intro into the opening moments of the movie, when they go out of their way to say he has a degree from Yale or Harvard in criminal law or some shit.

For better or for worse, you have to give credit to Carl Weathers for playing the hell out of that role. I've been a fan of his since Rocky.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:20 pm

Torgo wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:08 pm
Silly cheese and has Vanity.
Rump

Post by Rump » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:39 pm

Tonight a revisit...

Torgo

Post by Torgo » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:17 pm

If you're in the mood for a so bad, it's good '80s masterpiece, watch R.O.T.O.R. Essentially a rip-off of both The Terminator and Robocop, it features the worst fashion and hairstyles the decade offered - shoulder pads and permed mullets abound - cringey lines like one involving skeletons making love in a tin coffin and seemingly countless stultifying phone conversations. Oh, and there's an inexplicable scene with a ridiculous "Native American" character named - and who could only be named - "Shoeboogie." I can't sincerely rate it more than one star, but I still give it my highest recommendation.
Last Great Movie Seen
OOHydraOO

Hydra Актуальные ссылки на Гидру!

Post by OOHydraOO » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:48 am

Освещающий события криптосферы онлайн-журнал ForkLog рассказал своим читателям о новой инициативе запрещенного на территории России сайта запрещенных товаров Hydra. Редакция портала отмечает, что ресурс осуществляет противоправную деятельность, а анонсированный маркетплейсом краудсейл может быть мошеннической схемой, экзит-скамом, в ходе которого организаторы проекта похитят инвестиции.
Онлайн-площадка действует в пределах даркнета, она осуществляет продажу запрещенных товаров преимущественно в России. Стало известно, что Hydra планирует запустить международную децентрализованную площадку, таким образом расширить охват рынка. Для финансирования проекта организаторы намерены провести ICO. (Напомним. этот инструмент привлечения инвестиций практически прекратил существование в 2019 году, поскольку дискредитировал себя).
Руководство Hydra, скорее всего, выставит на продажу 49% доли проекта в токенах.
Компания известна как крупнейший маркетплейс, специализирующийся на продаже наркотических средств, прочих запрещенных веществ, реализации фальшивых денег.
100% абсолютно всех без исключения юзеров, приобретающих изделие для Hydra весь довольны сервисом. Подавляющее большинство online магазинов внутри платформы имеют блистательный рейтинг. Это вероятно, который покупателям непомерно нравится Hydra!

Но разработчики магазина пришли к данному не вдруг же. Был выполнен мудреный согласие процессов от исследования прежде старта интернет магазина, а впоследствии и сообразно поддержании веб-сайта. Который представляет собой лабаз Hydra в данном году:

-много лет отличной работы;
-множество продавцов;
-лучший функционал.

Hydra исстари функционирует на реализации не разрешенных изделий в даркнете. И абсолютно всегда данное век контрагент мог забежать для интернет-сайт и приобрести то, что ему необходимо.

Hydra – превосходнейшая во всем и продавцы им оказывают доверие. Ради время формирования магазина создатели спроектировали веский перечень возможностей, кто сегодня даёт возможность тебе выбирать, зарабатывать, получать продукт скорее, спокойнее и не побаиваться, что тебя сам бросят.

Почему сей магазин лучший?

Лицезрели интернет-магазины с бедным оформлением, малюсеньким набором и никакой защищенностью? Ты доверяешь подобным маркетами в даркнете? Там тебя сам без проблем могу обхитрить – так сиречь подобные интернет-магазины имеют интерес чуть в заработке денежных средств. В случае, когда тебя сам это удовлетворяет – не переставайте получать в тех местах.

Только теперь тебе предоставляют явно беспримерный степень в покупке услуги с помощью онлайна. Будьте убеждены, что ради уплаченные денежные имущество ты приобретешь конкретно тот товар превосходнейшего свойства, какой ты избрал. Просто-напросто попытайся оформить заказ на Hydra одиноко раз. Разработчики гарантируют – вы не вернетесь к другим местам чтобы покупки.

Как вы знаете, имеется груда прочих online магазинов, каким прежде лампочки на потребителей, они желают один только вмещать заработок.
Создатели этого магазина, именно благодаря популярности и прочности Гидры, завлекают свежих потребителей для эту платформу, для того, чтобы освободить онлайн от подобных уродливых веб-сайтов. Это необходимо чтобы того, для вы и все твои приятели имели мочь приобрести изделие, какой им необходим и не опасаться, сколько их бросят.
Перечень обновляемых зеркал Гидры и ссылка на гидру

Итак актуальные ссылки на Гидру:
зеркало Гидры