We Didn't Start The 80s

Discuss anything you want.
crumbsroom

Re: We Didn't Start The 80s

Post by crumbsroom » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:02 am

Rock wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:59 am
I've seen that one and liked it, although the heavier elements worked a lot better for me than the pure teen sex comedy stuff.
For me the teen sex comedy is just a Trojan Horse for those heavier elements. I don't think I remember laughing at it much.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:55 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:50 am
The Last American Virgin has some merits as well. But maybe only if one goes into it not knowing much about it.
An all-time favorite.
Rump

Post by Rump » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:59 pm

Tonights 80's entertainment...

Looks alright ;)
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:30 am

Rump wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:59 pm
Tonights 80's entertainment...

Looks alright ;)
I recently re-watched this film (having not seen it since the 80s) so I'll be intrigued.
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:31 am

Rock wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:46 am
I should probably prioritize Fast Times given my extremely half-assed run through '80s comedies over the last few months.
Ok, I grabbed this and Valley Girl for some '80s teencom goodness. Also, Endless Love with Brooke Shields because the post-it on the cover placed by the video store staff promised some delicious sociopathy.

(Also Legend of the Mountain, but that's not from the '80s so I will speak no more of it here.)
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:59 am

On a non-comedic '80s note, Clint Eastwood's Firefox is pretty lame. There's some novelty in the flight sequences in the last half hour, which are a halfway point between Star Wars and Top Gun, but the hour and forty five minutes before that are a total slog. The problem is that a) Eastwood doesn't really have a feel for the espionage elements that make up those sections and b) all the heroes are defined by their hatred of the Soviets and neither them nor the villains have any other discerning qualities (except Eastwood's character's PTSD, although that barely figures into the proceedings).
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Rock

Post by Rock » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:43 am

Rock wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:31 am
Ok, I grabbed this and Valley Girl for some '80s teencom goodness. Also, Endless Love with Brooke Shields because the post-it on the cover placed by the video store staff promised some delicious sociopathy.

(Also Legend of the Mountain, but that's not from the '80s so I will speak no more of it here.)
So...

Fast Times is very good (and I wonder what the hell movie Ebert watched because the movie isn't guilty of anything he accuses it of), but Valley Girl really did it for me. Cage before he went full Cage but still distinctly Cage ends up being surprisingly effective in a romcom.

Endless Love has some amusing camp value but was grossly oversold to me in that regard. There's also an unintentional element of discomfort in the age difference between the leads, Brooke Shields being an actual teenager playing a teenager while Martin Hewitt looking twice her age.

(Also, off topic, but Legend of the Mountain is terrific and terrifically gorgeous. I might still be feeling the high from the movie, but I'm tempted to call it one of the best looking movies I've ever seen.)
____
Blog!
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:24 am

Birdy remains the great unsung Nicolas Cage 80s classic.

Why does everyone I bring this film up to think I'm talking about some kind of Clint Eastwood movie?
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:03 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:24 am
Why does everyone I bring this film up to think I'm talking about some kind of Clint Eastwood movie?
Kidding or no? I honestly can't tell most of the time these days.
Ain't no grave gonna hold this body down
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:21 am

Death Proof wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:03 am
Kidding or no? I honestly can't tell most of the time these days.
Most people think I'm referring to Clint's film about Charlie Parker, Bird, instead.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:05 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:21 am
Most people think I'm referring to Clint's film about Charlie Parker, Bird, instead.
I figured there was no way you'd never heard of Clint's movie, but like I said - it gets harder and harder to pick out the sarcasm these days.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:56 pm

Everybody just calm right down.

I've never been more serious about anything in my life than I am in insisting that Birdy is not a Clint Eastwood movie. Together, perhaps, we can make it past this nightmare of misattribution.

*smiley emoji*
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:57 pm

Road House surprised me in a good way. I went in thinking it would be a so bad, it's good cheese fest, and while it has plenty of (good) cheese, I found it to be much more thoughtful and heartfelt that I anticipated. While the movie has a lot going for it from the strong cast that includes Kelly Lynch, Red West and Sam Elliott to quotable dialogue like "pain don't hurt," its Dalton's and thus the movie's philosophy that is the movie's secret sauce. Summarized in another one of movie's maxims, "nobody wins a fight," I appreciate its stance that the only fight worth having is one to defend and protect your loved ones. There are some cringe-worthy moments here and there that may have been cool in 1989, but haven't aged well, and some of the characters' decisions - Wesley's in particular - deserve scrutiny even if they result in good action scenes. Even so, I now have a go-to whenever anyone asks me for a suggestion about a fun '80s movie...especially if the person asking is a rowdy type.
Last Great Movie Seen
Razorback (Mulcahy, 1984)
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:08 pm

I was really disappointed with Action Jackson. It's the cinematic equivalent of Fruit Stripe gum: while it's satisfying at first, it gets more bland and flavorless as time passes. A lot of that disappointment is on me and what I assumed I was in for, but with a title like Action Jackson, Carl Weathers in the starring role and that DVD cover, how could anyone not believe it's over the top, slightly satirical and, well, fun? It promises to have such qualities early on, but it ends up being just another action movie about a male cop who plays by his own rules versus a big bad businessman - specifically, Weathers' sergeant versus sleazy car magnate Peter Dellaplane (Craig T. Nelson) - that uses all of the same old tricks from the Joel Silver playbook. From Happy Gilmore to The Mandalorian, I've loved all of Carl Weathers' performances, but if this movie is any indication, he's better suited for character work because as the movie went on, he seemed to be as equally uninterested and overwhelmed by all the stultifying familiarity as I was. Vanity and the always-reliable Al Leong provide the movie with much-needed life, and if anything, the movie is valuable as a cultural artifact of 1988; after all, it is incredibly 1988. Even so, your time would be better spent watching Shakedown from the same year because it's all of those things plus the things I assumed I'd find in Action Jackson.
Last Great Movie Seen
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:51 pm

Torgo wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:08 pm
I was really disappointed with Action Jackson. It's the cinematic equivalent of Fruit Stripe gum: while it's satisfying at first, it gets more bland and flavorless as time passes. A lot of that disappointment is on me and what I assumed I was in for, but with a title like Action Jackson, Carl Weathers in the starring role and that DVD cover, how could anyone not believe it's over the top, slightly satirical and, well, fun? It promises to have such qualities early on, but it ends up being just another action movie about a male cop who plays by his own rules versus a big bad businessman - specifically, Weathers' sergeant versus sleazy car magnate Peter Dellaplane (Craig T. Nelson) - that uses all of the same old tricks from the Joel Silver playbook. From Happy Gilmore to The Mandalorian, I've loved all of Carl Weathers' performances, but if this movie is any indication, he's better suited for character work because as the movie went on, he seemed to be as equally uninterested and overwhelmed by all the stultifying familiarity as I was. Vanity and the always-reliable Al Leong provide the movie with much-needed life, and if anything, the movie is valuable as a cultural artifact of 1988; after all, it is incredibly 1988. Even so, your time would be better spent watching Shakedown from the same year because it's all of those things plus the things I assumed I'd find in Action Jackson.
Aw, I love that movie. Glorious 80's cheese.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:24 am

Death Proof wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:51 pm
Aw, I love that movie. Glorious 80's cheese.
I'm surprised I couldn't get into it because that's my favorite kind of cheese. I did like Al Leong, Vanity (aside from the obvious reason), the music and the visuals, at least.
Oh, and Thomas F. Wilson, a.k.a. Biff. It's always nice to see him.
Last Great Movie Seen
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:22 am

Torgo wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:24 am
I'm surprised I couldn't get into it because that's my favorite kind of cheese. I did like Al Leong, Vanity (aside from the obvious reason), the music and the visuals, at least.
Oh, and Thomas F. Wilson, a.k.a. Biff. It's always nice to see him.

Music by Herbie Hancock

I love how they have to force his intro into the opening moments of the movie, when they go out of their way to say he has a degree from Yale or Harvard in criminal law or some shit.

For better or for worse, you have to give credit to Carl Weathers for playing the hell out of that role. I've been a fan of his since Rocky.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:20 pm

Torgo wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:08 pm
Silly cheese and has Vanity.
Rump

Post by Rump » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:39 pm

Tonight a revisit...

Torgo

Post by Torgo » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:17 pm

If you're in the mood for a so bad, it's good '80s masterpiece, watch R.O.T.O.R. Essentially a rip-off of both The Terminator and Robocop, it features the worst fashion and hairstyles the decade offered - shoulder pads and permed mullets abound - cringey lines like one involving skeletons making love in a tin coffin and seemingly countless stultifying phone conversations. Oh, and there's an inexplicable scene with a ridiculous "Native American" character named - and who could only be named - "Shoeboogie." I can't sincerely rate it more than one star, but I still give it my highest recommendation.
Last Great Movie Seen
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:31 pm

Krull has enough going for it for me to recommend it, but most if not all of what I liked about the movie is superficial. With its impressive cinematography, the always-reliable James Horner's score and production design that is sometimes gorgeous, sometimes terrifying and always distinctive, it's certainly nice to look at and listen to. Other than that, it's a mostly generic and emotionally uninvolving fantasy adventure. If movies had recipes, this one's would resemble Star Wars’ with slightly different flavors and colors, but without its secret ingredients, i.e. the world-building and memorable characters. There's little mythology or mystery to the world of Krull and protagonist Prince Colwyn's blankness recalls Jake Sully's in Avatar. To be fair, the always hilarious David Battley's hapless magician adds much-needed life and while Freddie Jones in his Obi-Wan-adjacent role tries his best to make the movie more legitimate and substantive - so much so that it seemed like he was carrying it on his back - he could only do so much. Like I said, Krull has some of the best looking and best tasting frosting I've enjoyed from a movie in the fantasy genre. It's a shame that the cake beneath it is so stale and flavorless.
Last Great Movie Seen
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:07 pm

Torgo wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:31 pm
Krull has enough going for it for me to recommend it, but most if not all of what I liked about the movie is superficial. With its impressive cinematography, the always-reliable James Horner's score and production design that is sometimes gorgeous, sometimes terrifying and always distinctive, it's certainly nice to look at and listen to. Other than that, it's a mostly generic and emotionally uninvolving fantasy adventure. If movies had recipes, this one's would resemble Star Wars’ with slightly different flavors and colors, but without its secret ingredients, i.e. the world-building and memorable characters. There's little mythology or mystery to the world of Krull and protagonist Prince Colwyn's blankness recalls Jake Sully's in Avatar. To be fair, the always hilarious David Battley's hapless magician adds much-needed life and while Freddie Jones in his Obi-Wan-adjacent role tries his best to make the movie more legitimate and substantive - so much so that it seemed like he was carrying it on his back - he could only do so much. Like I said, Krull has some of the best looking and best tasting frosting I've enjoyed from a movie in the fantasy genre. It's a shame that the cake beneath it is so stale and flavorless.
I love Krull and completely unironically. I mean, there's a little nostalgia there, but overall, I thought it was ambitious and fun and unlike anything else really.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:22 pm

Torgo wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:31 pm
Krull has some of the best looking and best tasting frosting
Krull is a childhood fave that I've been reluctant to revisit as an adult, but that comment might have convinced me to do it. I'm all about frosting, cinematically speaking.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:59 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:22 pm
I'm all about frosting, cinematically speaking.
Have you heard of the Emmanuelle series?
Sorry, couldn't resist.

I went in thinking it'd be so bad, its good - after all, it's on Rifftrax and it won a Stinkers Bad Movie award - and while I found it familiar and shallow like I mentioned, I wouldn't call it bad. I assume there was backlash against Star Wars-like movies at the time and this one got caught up in the hatestorm, receiving more flack than it deserved as a result.
Last Great Movie Seen
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:24 am

Torgo wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:59 pm
Have you heard of the Emmanuelle series?
Sorry, couldn't resist.

I went in thinking it'd be so bad, its good - after all, it's on Rifftrax and it won a Stinkers Bad Movie award - and while I found it familiar and shallow like I mentioned, I wouldn't call it bad. I assume there was backlash against Star Wars-like movies at the time and this one got caught up in the hatestorm, receiving more flack than it deserved as a result.
I remember that really being the big thing.
Krull is a strange movie but I really liked it then and I still like it now.
The Widow Of The Web, The Changeling, The Beast, The Slayers, The Glaive, there's just a lot of cool shit in there.

Oh, and... HA! (Emmanuelle/frosting)
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:18 am

Yeah, that's the thing: Even as a kid I felt like I was slumming when I watched Krull. I watched it often and enjoyed it (and owned the video game) but I considered it second-tier. So I've been afraid that if my 12 year old self was that snobby about it, I'd probably regret watching it as an adult. But I felt the same way about Beastmaster until Wooley opened my eyes.

And I don't get the Emmanuelle joke because I don't watch smut, you perverts.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:28 am

Speaking of cinematic frosting, I watched Killer Klowns today for the first time. It was never on my radar until Wooley (again) posted some sweet screen shots that piqued my interest last year.

Sorry to say I'm not completely won over. I'm 100% on board with the concept, but the execution just didn't cut it for me. The film never achieves any sort of creepiness, which would be fine if it was funny like a Beetlejuice, for example, but it's not that either. And there's some F-words so I guess it's also not for kids. I just couldn't get a handle on what it was trying to be. I love the aesthetic of it all, and I kind of wish the brothers behind it had made other films besides just this one. I just wanted it to be funnier. Or scarier.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:59 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:18 am
Yeah, that's the thing: Even as a kid I felt like I was slumming when I watched Krull. I watched it often and enjoyed it (and owned the video game) but I considered it second-tier. So I've been afraid that if my 12 year old self was that snobby about it, I'd probably regret watching it as an adult. But I felt the same way about Beastmaster until Wooley opened my eyes.

Well, I'm not saying it's The Beastmaster, but it's a lot of fun.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:03 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:28 am
Speaking of cinematic frosting, I watched Killer Klowns today for the first time. It was never on my radar until Wooley (again) posted some sweet screen shots that piqued my interest last year.

Sorry to say I'm not completely won over. I'm 100% on board with the concept, but the execution just didn't cut it for me. The film never achieves any sort of creepiness, which would be fine if it was funny like a Beetlejuice, for example, but it's not that either. And there's some F-words so I guess it's also not for kids. I just couldn't get a handle on what it was trying to be. I love the aesthetic of it all, and I kind of wish the brothers behind it had made other films besides just this one. I just wanted it to be funnier. Or scarier.
Well, I think it just found the right notes with me. I definitely got the creepy vibe, but it was a unique type of creepy in that it utterly should not work, and the weird balance of the creep with the silliness and the very low budget but still visually stimulating, the movie should have been horrible. It was a home-run for me. It's kinda what you're saying, the whole "what is this trying to be?" worked, hell it was the thing that worked, on me.
I have a couple I watch horror movies with. She loves it, I love it, we showed it to him and his reaction was almost exactly like yours.
So, I guess there's one in every crowd. :P

PS- The shadow-puppets scene just totally won me over.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:38 am

Wooley wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:03 am
Well, I think it just found the right notes with me. I definitely got the creepy vibe, but it was a unique type of creepy in that it utterly should not work, and the weird balance of the creep with the silliness and the very low budget but still visually stimulating, the movie should have been horrible. It was a home-run for me. It's kinda what you're saying, the whole "what is this trying to be?" worked, hell it was the thing that worked, on me.
I have a couple I watch horror movies with. She loves it, I love it, we showed it to him and his reaction was almost exactly like yours.
So, I guess there's one in every crowd. :P

PS- The shadow-puppets scene just totally won me over.
Yeah my overall impression was positive, in a "pulling for them to succeed" kind of way, I just wanted to like it more. I think the moment that came closest for me was the cop-as-ventiloquist-dummy bit. That was genuinely disturbing and I wish there was more of that. Or, again, if comedy was their goal I think they were missing a Michael Keaton-level presence which is hardly fair to hold against them I guess. Like I said, too bad they didn't make any more movies, I'd like to see how they would've progressed from here.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:41 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:28 am

I liked it maybe a bit more than you, but I had a similar reaction to it. I love the weirdness. I love the look. But for me it *slightly* misses on both the comedy front and the horror front.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:49 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:41 am
But for me it *slightly* misses on both the comedy front and the horror front.
I would describe it as "fun" but not "funny", if that makes sense.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:48 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:49 am
I would describe it as "fun" but not "funny", if that makes sense.
I would also describe it that way, but I would describe it as "intentionally fun but not funny". I never got the sense I was was watching a comedy or really even a horror-comedy unless it was a horror-blackcomedy.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:59 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:48 am
I would also describe it that way, but I would describe it as "intentionally fun but not funny".
Agreed
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:47 pm

Killer Klownz.

Blech.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:52 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:47 pm
Killer Klownz.

Blech.
I hope you take this the right way, but it's always slightly fascinating to me when you draw the line for reasons that are not moral.

Elaborate!
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:21 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:52 pm
I hope you take this the right way, but it's always slightly fascinating to me when you draw the line for reasons that are not moral.

Elaborate!
My opinion wouldn't vary much from what CT wrote. I was a huge fan of the creature design, think it is pretty incredible even if the film wasn't low budget, but I thought the surrounding film was ugly, flat and pretty charmless. Much of the movie almost looked like some bad Canadian television show that isn't as clever as it seems to think it is. Anything I like about the film would have been the occasional gag, I think there's was one involving Shadow puppets that was amusing, but these were brief flashes of charm kinda marooned in a brightly colored porridge.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:28 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:47 pm
Killer Klownz.

Blech.
Ditto.
Rump

Post by Rump » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:18 pm

Watching this for the first time tonight...

crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:10 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:21 pm
My opinion wouldn't vary much from what CT wrote. I was a huge fan of the creature design, think it is pretty incredible even if the film wasn't low budget, but I thought the surrounding film was ugly, flat and pretty charmless. Much of the movie almost looked like some bad Canadian television show that isn't as clever as it seems to think it is. Anything I like about the film would have been the occasional gag, I think there's was one involving Shadow puppets that was amusing, but these were brief flashes of charm kinda marooned in a brightly colored porridge.
I also think I am cynical towards the general idea of a movie based on killer clowns that basically just recycles a bunch of clown tropes into the horror/sci fi genre. I feel I'm just watching a roughly stitched together brainstorming session, and not an entirely inspired one at that. If you are going to do get away with this king of thing, I think I need it to be exceedingly clever or really artfully done, for me to not dismiss it as just a movie trying to elbow its way into the cult movie section at the video store.

As a counter example to this particular problem I think a guy like Henenlotter is a director whose concepts could have easily fallen into this kitchshy eye-winky trap, but he actually has some legitimately off the wall ideas, gets great camp performances out of his actors and maybe most importantly, there is a sense of love beneath the sleaze. Unfortunately Killer Klownz is a loveless affair and as a result it is desperately lacking in that vague and difficult to define element I consistently am touting as essential...poetry. Deez Klownz ain't poetic.

Also, there is the whole idea that I don't like the thought of a director of a film trying to impress on its audience what a weird movie they are making. I like the weirdness to feel as if it is coming directly from the psyche of the director themselves, even if they are not aware of it. Klownz knows it's dumb, and rarely defies me to think of it any other way.
Rock

Post by Rock » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:04 pm

You people!

If I wasn't so fucking lazy, I'd dig up my copy, rewatch it and attempt to badly defend it with a bunch of poorly written run- on sentences.
____
Blog!
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:17 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:21 pm
My opinion wouldn't vary much from what CT wrote. I was a huge fan of the creature design, think it is pretty incredible even if the film wasn't low budget, but I thought the surrounding film was ugly, flat and pretty charmless.
I really liked the visuals, and I think that they carried a lot of the film for me.

I should also say that I watched it really late one night, which is a time that visual elements are particularly striking for me.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:29 pm

I like Klowns more than most here - it's in the C+/B- range for me - but I agree that its biggest fault is coming across like a forced cult movie. This is probably just another way to say what crumbsroom already said, but a similar trait of cult movies is a lack of self-awareness at how bad and/or weird they are. As soon as a movie gives you the slightest hint that it knows how gosh darn screwy it is, it has decided it's a cult film, which is a decision that the audience should make.

Has there ever been a forced cult movie that hasn't ranged from mediocre at best to worthless at worst? The only one I can think of is Bubba Ho-Tep.
Last Great Movie Seen
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:41 pm

Torgo wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:29 pm
Has there ever been a forced cult movie that hasn't ranged from mediocre at best to worthless at worst? The only one I can think of is Bubba Ho-Tep.
I guess it depends a bit on what you consider a film trying to force cult status. For example, I really liked Brick, which feels like it's aiming for a kind of cult sensibility at times.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:01 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:41 pm
I guess it depends a bit on what you consider a film trying to force cult status. For example, I really liked Brick, which feels like it's aiming for a kind of cult sensibility at times.
Yeah, Brick is great. I was mainly thinking of sci-fi, fantasy and horror movies that do that, but that one applies. I guess forcing cult status is less of a sin if the movie's, well, really good.
Last Great Movie Seen
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:10 am

Torgo wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:01 am
Yeah, Brick is great. I was mainly thinking of sci-fi, fantasy and horror movies that do that, but that one applies. I guess forcing cult status is less of a sin if the movie's, well, really good.
I think that there are two kinds of "intentional cult"--one is a film that just lets itself be bonkers, and the other is the kind where you can tell the filmmakers were aiming for "watch it ironically!". The latter usually fall pretty flat (though I will put in a good word for Velocipastor, which manages to make intentionally bad acting, writing, and filming pretty amusing).
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:39 am

I think that sincerity is the key to a truly great cult film. Too many of the failed pseudo-cult films leave a cynical and campy window for the audience to detach, a smugly self-concious reminder that the filmmakers are just masturbating. The earnestness of attempting to transcend the limitations, of both talent and treasure, is far more amirable, dare I say heroic, than some insecure asshole who happens to be aware that they're wasting your time. All of the great microbudget cult classics, from Living Dead to Bad Taste to El Mariachi to Primer never resort to apologetic deprecation as a defensive reflex.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:42 am

As for Killer Klowns, I've only seen it from the perspective of a stoned teenager, so I honestly couldn't tell you which category it belongs. But I thought it was fun.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:25 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:18 am

Krull is random AF. And now we need... ...fire horses! Also, the Glave has got to be on the same list of of OHSA violations as the Death Star. I love it. Don't get me wrong. But there is now way you're catching that thing without losing finger. One of the most 80s fantasy weapons imaginable, basically a shuriken had a baby with Mjølnir.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:18 am

Rump wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:18 pm
Watching this for the first time tonight...

Fuck Yeah!!!
An old favorite of mine with a full write-up in my thread I never write anything in anymore.