The Con is On (2018)

Discuss anything you want.
Melvin Butterworth

The Con is On (2018)

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Sun May 06, 2018 11:47 pm

This is like those Adam Sandler films. You know, those films that shouldn't exist and only seem to exist to give a group of people a paycheck? Parker Poser, Stephen Fry, Uma, Roth, and a bunch other aging stars affecting unconvincing posh accents. This feels more like a tax write-off than an actual film. How does this stuff get made? How does stuff this bad get green lit?

If you don't know what I am talking about, do yourself a favor and never find out.
BL

Re: The Con is On (2018)

Post by BL » Sun May 06, 2018 11:50 pm

Melvin Butterworth wrote:If you don't know what I am talking about, do yourself a favor and never find out.
Done and done.
"It's OK to have beliefs, just don't believe in them." — Guy Ritchie
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Mon May 07, 2018 1:18 am

It's like someone took the tagline to Bowfinger and made Gambit.
BL

Post by BL » Mon May 07, 2018 1:26 am

OK, so I watched the trailer. I'm guessing somebody set out to make an Asylum-style straight-to-video cash grab based on the upcoming Ocean's 8 and things spiraled out of control in the casting department once they signed one of these slumming over-the-hill actors. Does that seem about right?
BL

Post by BL » Mon May 07, 2018 1:28 am

And now I've read the Wikipedia page. So this is a piece of shit that was sitting on the shelf for a couple years waiting for something like Ocean's 8 to come along and create sufficient market confusion. I think I've gotten to the bottom of that mystery.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Mon May 07, 2018 2:34 am

BL wrote:And now I've read the Wikipedia page. So this is a piece of shit that was sitting on the shelf for a couple years waiting for something like Ocean's 8 to come along and create sufficient market confusion. I think I've gotten to the bottom of that mystery.
Doesn't answer how the thing got green lit in the first place. I totally get why it was shelved and I understand the idea of market confusion. But why did these actors sign up for this? Did they read the script? Was anyone watching the acting? Everyone was chewing the scenery in a really bad, unfunny way. These are people who are otherwise, more or less, competent players. How does everyone just go into Ed Wood territory like this?
BL

Post by BL » Mon May 07, 2018 2:39 am

Melvin Butterworth wrote:But why did these actors sign up for this?
I think you're severely underestimating the degree to which these actors are over the hill or willing to slum it for a paycheck. There was a point at which Tim Roth was expecting Marvel money from his role in that Hulk movie. That didn't work out, so here he is. I mean, he's fresh off a flattering role as Sepp Blatter. Can you imagine how sad that is?
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Mon May 07, 2018 5:04 pm

I don't know whose presence here is worse: Sofia Vergara who tried to be a thing a few years back with that Reese Witherspoon film and is now doing TV and shampoo commercials, or Stephen Fry, the veteran British presence from Jeeves and Wooster, Blackadder, and V for Vendetta who did this film before doing The Great Indoors.
WesleyTwomey

Post by WesleyTwomey » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:36 am

Apex Predator wrote:I don't know whose presence here is worse: Sofia Vergara who tried to be a thing a few years back with that Reese Witherspoon film about dbal max and is now doing TV and shampoo commercials, or Stephen Fry, the veteran British presence from Jeeves and Wooster, Blackadder, and V for Vendetta who did this film before doing The Great Indoors.
The ultimate point is what that is stated in the above posts. Money. If the money is good, most of them won't even read the script. And that's the irony.
boojiboyhowdy

Post by boojiboyhowdy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:51 pm

Check out this trailer. If you were asked to name the two actors who would star in something like this, odds are you would guess these two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiJjMggOUu8
Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:19 am

boojiboyhowdy wrote:Check out this trailer. If you were asked to name the two actors who would star in something like this, odds are you would guess these two.

This has the exact same vibe as the Jimmy Kimmel trailer for Movie: The Movie.
Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:20 am

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
But why did these actors sign up for this? Did they read the script?

I think it was Gary Oldman who said that there's nothing shameful about accepting a terrible role, because it's still work. Art is nice, but those paychecks ain't writing themselves. Acting is still a job.
John Dumbear

Post by John Dumbear » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:12 am

I never realized that Tim Roth, Crispin Glover and Parker Posey were slumming over-the-hill actors...
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:11 pm

Charles wrote:

I think it was Gary Oldman who said that there's nothing shameful about accepting a terrible role, because it's still work. Art is nice, but those paychecks ain't writing themselves. Acting is still a job.
besides there are dozens of worse stuff people do for money.
Rock

Post by Rock » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:48 am

So...was the con on the whole time?
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:26 am

boojiboyhowdy wrote:Check out this trailer. If you were asked to name the two actors who would star in something like this, odds are you would guess these two.

Yeah, it's funny, a friend of mine is actually friends with Bruce Willis and appears in very small roles in like all his low-budget movies, and basically Bruce Willis will do any movie. Like any.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:27 am

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
besides there are dozens of worse stuff people do for money.
Yeah, hell, now Oldman is playing some bullshit character in some bullshit Gerard Butler movie. Dollah billz.