Letterboxd

Discuss anything you want.
Charles

Re: Letterboxd

Post by Charles » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:27 pm

Ah. Well, I don't know if I'll every comprehensively fill out all the movies I've seen, but I logged a bit over 700 today.

https://letterboxd.com/CharlesAop/

I appreciate that this is less volatile as a list than a single text file.
topherH

Post by topherH » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:13 pm

The ability to create lists is what I enjoy the most. I feel like there really isn't a holy grail type movie I have left to see. I want to program an entire month of movies. That's 720 hrs of content in case you were wondering.
--Whether you think you can or can't, you're probably right--
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:34 pm

MrCarmady wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:13 pm
I've never even heard of Lew Landers, sounds fun. Are those two your favourites?
The Raven and Return of the Vampire are by far his most prominent films. (to illustrate: Return has been logged 850 times on LB, while his next-most-popular film only 270). They're both B-movies, so someone that's new to the classic era should probably watch Dracula or Frankenstein first, but for established fans of the Universal films they're both easily recommended. Raven is a rare example of Lugosi getting to outshine Karloff.

Beyond those two films there's lots of no-budget gangster films and Westerns, most of which I've already forgotten. I'd say my favorite first-time viewings were
Terrified (1963) (horror)
Seven Keys to Baldpate (1947) (mystery)
Man in the Dark (1953) (noir)
John Dumbear

Post by John Dumbear » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:05 pm

Spent the last couple of days filling out film I've seen. Good grief, I've watched a lot of God awful shit!
Charles

Post by Charles » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:59 pm

I'm surprised to see how many people are below 3k. I remember someone back on RT claiming 35k movies, so I expected the average to be closer to 5k+.
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:02 pm

At 1 a day, 35k would take close to 100 years...
Charles

Post by Charles » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:03 pm

MrCarmady wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:02 pm
At 1 a day, 35k would take close to 100 years...
But at 2 movies, that's down to a much more reasonnable 50 years, with extra per day if you watch more, or watch short films. I know Rumpled watches at least 1.5 movies a day, so it's vaguely reasonable if the person is retired.

Dunno what one gets from each movies with that pace though.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:25 pm

Charles wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:59 pm
I'm surprised to see how many people are below 3k. I remember someone back on RT claiming 35k movies, so I expected the average to be closer to 5k+.
Honestly, I was shocked when I learned I'd seen more than 2k and figured I should slow down and maybe read more books.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
topherH

Post by topherH » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:51 am

I feel like a hoe with 2,500 notches. 35k sounds insane. Like a persons mind would crack going that far.
--Whether you think you can or can't, you're probably right--
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:17 am

I only log first time watches and I didn't start logging until halfway through 2018. So I've seen 1085 movies in the last two years.

At that rate, which I've kept since I was around 17, would ballpark me around 6k. Strikes me as a likely as I own around 3k movies and I don't buy nearly everything I see.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:49 am

I've estimated I've seen prob about 10K films. I've had a couple of fallow periods in my life, late teens, the last couple of years or so, where I may average slightly less than one movie a day. But I've been going hard for most of my conscious life, so 10 k really isn't an enormous stretch.

The only reason it's not even more is because I rewatch so much shit.
Spencie Returns

Post by Spencie Returns » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:09 am

I've really only ever used Letterbox to log movies as I watch them, not rate or rank everything I've ever seen. I'd like to, it just seems so daunting, and I don't even don't even have a particularly large palette, at least compared to your average cinema junkie.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:29 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:49 am
I've estimated I've seen prob about 10K films. I've had a couple of fallow periods in my life, late teens, the last couple of years or so, where I may average slightly less than one movie a day. But I've been going hard for most of my conscious life, so 10 k really isn't an enormous stretch.

The only reason it's not even more is because I rewatch so much shit.
I’ve watched movies obsessively my whole life but I struggle with whether I should count childhood movies I barely remember. I also use to rewatch stuff A LOT so I can’t really calculate it at a fixed rate.

Like Spencie, I find trying to find that number extremely daunting.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:30 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:29 am
I’ve watched movies obsessively my whole life but I struggle with whether I should count childhood movies I barely remember. I also use to rewatch stuff A LOT so I can’t really calculate it at a fixed rate.

Like Spencie, I find trying to find that number extremely daunting.
A large chunk of that 10K probably couldn't be called really legit watches considering either my age or my state of mind when I was watching them. But if this is a bar I have to cross, there are probably movies I've watched this month that wouldn't count either since they made so little impression on me they immediately got sucked out of the air lock of my brain. So, for me, as long as I can remember the actual act of watching them, they are worth counting as far as I'm concerned. Just maybe not discussing at any length. But I'm probably not qualified to discuss very many movies at length. I've honestly preferred the memories of films to kind of wash over me more like a dream that I can only grab at a handful of tangible moments. The more I can break them down piece by piece, the more it feels like performing an autopsy on something that has now died for the benefit of my examination.

That's not to say there isn't some sadness of forgetting so much of what I've watched. Back in the day, my memory used to be an animal. I used to be able to absorb a film so thoroughly I could snap my fingers at every cut, recall the minutia of the films entire sound design, know the plots inside and out and dialogue memorized. Just like one remembers a melody from a song, that's how films ear wormed themselves into my brain. But so many of those films I entirely absorbed...it just feels silly to revisit them now, and that makes me sad too. So it's probably for the best that my memory has a big brown worm hole burrowed into it now. Allows me to keep something about them alive as I watch them.

Part of the memory shit is age, but part of it is probably just I have too many fucking movies and books and songs in there and red lights are going off everywhere indicating circuit boards have long overheated. My early childhood was sans VCR, and still even then, I would watch literally every film that came on television, of which there would be at least two every night. And then when movie channels popped up, it was an all day thing. And let's not even get into renting movies. Now while I'm sure others will all claim to be doing other things, other than watching films or listening to music or reading books, I can't help but be baffled by how many people haven't at least clocked in a couple thousand movies in their life. Like....what else is there to do? I consider myself a really lazy person and I've found the time for all of these movies, books, music not to mention my own creative projects and a mostly healthy social life. Like...I guess working towards a career is something that people do. Or sleeping. But they're all crazy.

Getting by on the bare minimum of money and rest is the only way to go. Stuff your brain full of shit! Yippeee.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:40 pm

Logged in 413 or so films, no reviews yet because I’m lazy but w/e may as well social media it up with y’all: https://boxd.it/1GvGL
John Dumbear

Post by John Dumbear » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:58 pm

Currently at 1500 films. There's a lot of film out there.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:15 pm

Topping out at around 2300 right now. Lot of goddamn movies that is.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:24 pm

I'm shocked I even effortlessly got to 400, I could swear I've seen like 50 movies in my life, 30 of them being Marvel movies
Thief

Post by Thief » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:33 pm

I'm at 1,967 myself, but I'm pretty sure there are a lot of films I saw in the 80s and 90s that I didn't log and I just don't remember.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Charles

Post by Charles » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:36 pm

There's a couple movies I don't log because I don't have any memories of them. I log those I can remember at least one scene from.

Looking at how many movies I saw in the past few years that I nearly can't remember, I'm probably going to curate my movie watching a bit more.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:38 pm

I'm at 4700+, but I log everything I can find so that includes stand-up specials, concerts, 5 minute cartoons, Black Mirror episodes, you name it. The Three Stooges alone account for like 200 or so entries. So I wonder how many actual "films" are in that number.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:40 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:38 pm
I'm at 4700+, but I log everything I can find so that includes stand-up specials, concerts, 5 minute cartoons, Black Mirror episodes, you name it. The Three Stooges alone account for like 200 or so entries. So I wonder how many actual "films" are in that number.
Ahh, yeah, I'm leaving off television and standup specials and (most) short-form.

I do need to include Wallace and Gromit. They're just way too fucking good.
NOTE:
Charles

Post by Charles » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:48 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:38 pm
You can sort by duration, so you can just find the 30 or 60 minute cutoff page, or something, and multiply the number of remaining pages by 72.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:31 pm

I watched a film that does not have a Letterboxd entry. Ignoring for a moment what this says about my viewing habits, isn't there a way to submit a film? Or do I have to belong to a higher subscription bracket? My account is currently "Pro". I've been through the "Help" page and found nothing relevant.
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:32 pm

Letterboxd get all their movie data from TMDB:
https://www.themoviedb.org/

So you could try submitting there, pretty sure it's free. What's the movie?
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:28 pm

MrCarmady wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:32 pm
Letterboxd get all their movie data from TMDB:
https://www.themoviedb.org/

So you could try submitting there, pretty sure it's free. What's the movie?
Thanks! I successfully added it there. I guess Letterboxd will pick it up eventually.

https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/740867-overboard
Stu

Post by Stu » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:55 pm

Yes, I'm a mod; let me know if you need anything.

Read My Reviews