Wooley's Half-Ass Horrorthon

Discuss anything you want.
crumbsroom

Re: Wooley's Half-Ass Horrorthon

Post by crumbsroom » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:29 pm

I don't think I've seen Rocky Horror for at least twenty years. And I don't think I even own it :(

Mirroring Captain's feelings, I really liked the first half hour or so on my initial watch, but much of the rest either left me cold or down right annoyed me. I definitely warmed up to all of its glory over the years though. It's a really good movie.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:57 pm

Apex Predator wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:39 pm
To be fair, it all starts with the Time Warp. But don't be surprised if your favorite becomes Don't Dream It, Be It later on.

I think that song kind of sums up RHPS to be honest.
Yeah that song is clearly the mission statement, if you will, of the movie. I guess what I was trying to say is those opening scenes lead the first-time viewer to think "this is going to be fun!", like Grease or something, so when things eventually take a somber turn it's a bit of a curve ball. In fact I found myself wondering what the midnight movie crowd actually does during some of these scenes, as they would hardly lend themselves to a party atmosphere. Like when
Curry dies
, for instance. I'm not necessarily interested in the answer to that question, just pointing out that the movie went some places I didn't expect it to go.

(I'm not a big fan of Grease, I just couldn't think of another example)
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:04 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:57 pm
Yeah that song is clearly the mission statement, if you will, of the movie. I guess what I was trying to say is those opening scenes lead the first-time viewer to think "this is going to be fun!", like Grease or something, so when things eventually take a somber turn it's a bit of a curve ball. In fact I found myself wondering what the midnight movie crowd actually does during some of these scenes, as they would hardly lend themselves to a party atmosphere. Like when
Curry dies
, for instance. I'm not necessarily interested in the answer to that question, just pointing out that the movie went some places I didn't expect it to go.

(I'm not a big fan of Grease, I just couldn't think of another example)
Well, and that's ultimately what I love about it, for all its flamboyance and sizzle the movie gets pretty dark, while at the same time never losing touch with its glam-rock meets 50s sci-fi world.
I mean, one of my favorite parts of the movie is when
Frank has his fantasy musical number "I'm Going Home" after Riff-Raff and Magenta come and announce to him that they are taking charge and are going back to Transylvania and then the fantasy fades and he's just sitting there pitifully by himself and Columbia's FACE, where she's just heartbroken to see him fall so far. And then Riff tells him, THEY are going home and he is going to die.
Man, I just love that shit.
Damn, now I wanna watch it tonight!
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:34 am

What ever happened to Fay Wray, you fucks?

The big finale of Rocky Horror is just as classic as anything else in the film. Now, if we consider a light lull in the middle, I always assumed that this was due to my less than flattering opinion of the alleged talents of Meat Loaf. That, and that the "Eddie" song is arguably the weakest of the set. But once we get knickers on the Professor, we are back in prime time Frankenfucking. You should all be ashamed for your lack of faith. Lack of discipline. Lack of torso support.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:45 pm

I thought the weak link in the songs was Toucha Me.

Say what you will about Eddie the song, but you could cut the tension at that dinner table with a sharp knife.

Tension that eases up only when the tablecloth is pulled...