Thief's Monthly Film Challenge 2019

Discuss anything you want.
Apex Predator

Re: Thief's Monthly Film Challenge 2019

Post by Apex Predator » Mon May 27, 2019 3:22 pm

I'm using this Memorial weekend fairly wisely...

A Separation
See a film with Muslim characters (May)
See a film made in Iran (April)

The marriage between Nader (Payman Maadi) and Simin (Leila Hatami) is strained as the film opens. She wants to head to America to build a better life for their teen daughter Termeh (Sarina Farhadi). He wants to stay behind and take care of his father (Ali-Ashgar Shahbazi) who has Alzheimer's. When Simin leaves to go to her parents, Nader hires Razieh (Sareh Bayat) to care for his father. But when things take an unexpected turn, the two families end up in court.

This was one of multiple films from Cinema International that I missed due to classwork, fatigue, etc. Really glad I caught this one as it was a really well done, well acted drama.
Thief

Post by Thief » Mon May 27, 2019 11:28 pm

Quickies on my last 5 watches...

Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018) Very similar to the first one, follows the same formula of light fun with quick action. I know it's a superhero film about shrinking people and stuff, but the whole Quantum Realm thing requires a lot of suspension of disbelief. Still, all things considered, is still well executed. The last shot/end credits scene was predictable but still effective.

Russian Ark (2002) Visually and technically impressive, even if it does grow a bit tedious towards the end. I'm a bit torn because, as impossible as it might be, part of me would've liked a bit more narrative out of it, while the other part can't stop thinking of all the logistics of pulling this off which makes me wanna shower praises over this film.

Apocalypse Now (1979, rewatch) Hadn't seen it in a good while, but it was as good as I remembered, if not more. A perfectly directed descent into madness. One can't help but wonder, what would've been of this film if there hadn't been any production mishaps or Brando shenanigans?

Desierto (2015) A very straightforward thriller directed by Jonás Cuarón, son of Alfonso. Fine performances from Gael García Bernal and Jeffrey Dean Morgan. Still, a bit overlong, perhaps by 20 or so minutes.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018) Dumb fun. I really had no expectations and don't see it being any better or worse than Jurassic World. I actually found the first half quite solid, but then it devolves into stupidity. I've never been a fan of the whole "friendly" Raptor thing, and this one keeps stretching that, but it also felt like wanting to rehash a lot of stuff with Hammond 2.0.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Tue May 28, 2019 2:05 am

Russian Ark is, understandably, an acquired taste, but I love it. It can be a chore to sit through, but there's definitely the feeling that it requires several viewings to absorb everything as, while the story is pretty slight, it's ultimately the breathtaking and strangely suspenseful way its story is presented which caused it to resonate so well with me.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Tue May 28, 2019 8:49 am

I saw Apocalypse Now on the big screen last week, my first time seeing it ever, and was thoroughly impressed by it.
Thief

Post by Thief » Tue May 28, 2019 3:10 pm

A film with an animal in its title
A film based on a comic book

Ant-Man (2015)
"Now, look. This is gonna get weird, all right? It's pretty freaky, but it's safe. There's no reason to be scared."
The above quote comes at a moment when our hero, cat burglar Scott Lang (Paul Rudd) is about to show his friends his new shrinking abilities. It is both a warning that they're about to see something unlike anything they've seen before, and a reassurance that despite that, everything is alright and under control. Coming at the end of the Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 2, that quote can also apply to Ant-Man's own standing among their catalogue. With a decidedly comedic and lighter approach to the material, Ant-Man is certainly unlike any of the previous films of the MCU (with the exception of Guardians of the Galaxy) while also feeling integral to this universe and confident in its pace and rhythm to deliver fun and thrills.

Ant-Man follows Lang, who is released from prison only to find himself unemployed and unable to provide for his daughter Cassie (Abby Ryder Fortson). When his partner, Luis (Miguel Peña) presents him yet another job to break into the safe of an "old man", he reluctantly accepts. What he doesn't know is that the "old man" is disgraced inventor and former SHIELD scientist Hank Pym (Michael Douglas). Pym has orchestrated everything along with his daughter Hope (Evangeline Lilly) with the intention of recruiting Lang for a bigger job. The job? To use the Ant-Man suit to infiltrate Pym's former company in order to steal a more advanced suit about to be unleashed by his former protege and current CEO of the company, Daniel Cross (Corey Stoll) who plans to sell it to Hydra.

There were some gigantic concerns (pun intended) surrounding Ant-Man; the fact that it is yet another origin story, Ant-Man not being a well known superhero, coming after a bombastic blockbuster like Avengers: Age of Ultron, but most notably, the dismissal of writer/director Edgar Wright. However, the end result ends up being quite good, thanks to Peyton Reed's confident direction and Paul Rudd's charisma. The lead actor brings a certain relaxed, laid-back attitude to the role that makes the film feel... chill, for lack of a better word. This is not exclusive to him as you can see how well he plays off other actors like Michael Douglas and Michael Peña. He and Douglas have what might be one of my favorite exchanges of the whole MCU...

Lang: "My days of breaking into places and stealing shit are over! What do you need me to do?"
Pym: "I want you to break into a place and steal some shit."
Lang: "Makes sense."

Which pretty much serves as evidence of the tone and attitude of the whole film. Reed also instills into that a certain heisty/playful mood with his use of music and a snappy direction. There are also some pretty cool and funny plays on size and perspective, particularly on the last fight as Ant-Man and the bad guy throw toys at each other. And speaking of the bad guy, the film is not without a certain amount of gravitas, specially with the relationship between Hank and Cross. Stoll really delivers with some nuanced moments, even if the story doesn't really delve that much into it. The final resolution is telegraphed very early on and might feel a bit convenient, but they sell it well enough.

In some ways, Ant-Man, and Guardians of the Galaxy before it, might have signaled a willingness of Marvel Studios to let loose in some ways for the upcoming Phase 3. The light, comedic tone of the sequels to this two films, and Thor: Ragnarok, serve as a decent contrast to the more serious tone of films like Captain America: Civil War or Avengers: Infinity War, which is more than welcome. So for the few that haven't seen those films, be aware, it's gonna get weird, but it's safe. There's no reason to be scared.

Grade: B
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Tue May 28, 2019 4:36 pm

Came pretty close to seeing Desierto a couple of months back. Didn't end up going through with it...I felt it might either infuriate me or depress me.

I thought Ant-Man came a bit smaller than you did. I did appreciate the "smaller" stakes and Scott's interactions with both Hank Pym and his crew (the romantic angle between Scott and Pym's daughter was kinda just there). The villain was fine enough and I did appreciate them not turning the stepfather (Bobby Cannavalle) into a bad guy.

But the smaller stakes cut both ways. Instead of a rooting interest, I was only mildly rooting for the group to succeed because they would be happy?

The end result is watchable, but also kind of disposable.
Thief

Post by Thief » Tue May 28, 2019 4:53 pm

Apex Predator wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 4:36 pm
Came pretty close to seeing Desierto a couple of months back. Didn't end up going through with it...I felt it might either infuriate me or depress me.
There are some slightly disturbing images, or rather events, early on the film, but overall, the film doesn't put a heavy burden on the socio-political aspect of immigrants crossing the border. You know it's there, but it doesn't really feel like it's making any overt statement, other than there's a bad guy out there. In many ways, it feels like a thriller about a madman or killer on the loose.
Apex Predator wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 4:36 pm
I thought Ant-Man came a bit smaller than you did. I did appreciate the "smaller" stakes and Scott's interactions with both Hank Pym and his crew (the romantic angle between Scott and Pym's daughter was kinda just there). The villain was fine enough and I did appreciate them not turning the stepfather (Bobby Cannavalle) into a bad guy.

But the smaller stakes cut both ways. Instead of a rooting interest, I was only mildly rooting for the group to succeed because they would be happy?

The end result is watchable, but also kind of disposable.
I agree about the romantic angle. I don't think it was that successful, but then again, I don't think they made a lot out of it until they kissed towards the end. And after that, it wasn't a big deal anyway. I was about to mention the Cannavale thing. I really enjoyed that, and I liked how they played the goofy side of it in Ant-Man and the Wasp.

But anyway, I see your point, but at the moment I saw it, it worked for me.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Wed May 29, 2019 7:03 pm

Without giving away too much, I did like the final scene of Ant-Man. The film itself, I might recommend it as a rainy afternoon rental (there didn't appear to be much that related to previous films in the Marvel Universe).
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu May 30, 2019 2:46 am

Apex Predator wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:03 pm
Without giving away too much, I did like the final scene of Ant-Man. The film itself, I might recommend it as a rainy afternoon rental (there didn't appear to be much that related to previous films in the Marvel Universe).
I think that was one of the things it was praised for at the time, that, other than that one scene involving a lower-tier Avenger, the movie really stood on its own.
Thief

Post by Thief » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:12 am

As usual, here's my tally for my Marvelous May...

A film with the number 5 (Five, Fifth, etc.) in its title (not a sequel): Slaughterhouse-Five
A film with a title that starts with the letters I or J: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
A film from the current IMDb 250 whose ranking includes the #5 (i.e. 15, 25, 54): (see list here) Avengers: Infinity War (#56)
A film from the 1940s: The Lady from Shanghai
A fantasy film: Doctor Strange
A film with an animal in its title: Ant-Man, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Black Panther
A film mostly set in space (Space Day, first Friday of May): Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
A film based on a comic book (Comic Book Day, May 4): Thor: Ragnarok, Avengers: Endgame
A film with prominent Muslim characters (Ramadan, starts May 5): Four Lions
A film from Mexico (Cinco de Mayo): Desierto
A film from Orson Welles (born May 6): The Lady from Shanghai
A film prominently featuring mothers (Mother's Day, May 12): Ant-Man and the Wasp
A film that won either the Palme d'Or or the Grand Prix at Cannes (May 14-25): Apocalypse Now (rewatch)
A film set in a museum or featuring them prominently (Int'l Museum Day, May 18): Russian Ark
A war film (Memorial Day, May 27): Captain America: Civil War

Obviously, my focus was to catch up with the MCU films in order to see Avengers: Endgame, which I finally saw a couple of days ago, so it was the appropriate closure for what I was intending. Because of that goal, I also went a bit over my 15 film goal, finishing with a total of 18.

Not counting my rewatch of Apocalypse Now, I think the best I saw was Thor: Ragnarok and Avengers: Infinity War

The worst? Probably Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
Thief

Post by Thief » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:14 am

I'll post the categories for June as soon as I can, but it won't be today or tomorrow.
Thief

Post by Thief » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:36 pm

New categories for June!

A film with the number 6 (Six, Sixth, etc.) in its title (not a sequel):
A film with a title that starts with the letters K or L:
A film from the current IMDb 250 whose ranking includes the #6 (i.e. 16, 64, 216): (see list here)
A film from the 1950s:
A horror film:
A film with an the word "Summer" in its title:
A film that features basketball or hockey prominently (NBA Finals/Stanley Cup)
A film about LGBTQ+ lifestyles or with prominent LGBTQ+ characters (LGBT Pride Month):
A film from a Caribbean-American filmmaker (Nat'l Caribbean American Month):
A film with an the word "Kiss" in its title (Nat'l Kissing Day, June 6):
A World War II film (D-Day, June 6):
A film mostly set in the beach or the ocean (World Ocean Day, June 8):
A film prominently featuring fathers (Father's Day, June 16):
A film from Billy Wilder (born June 22):
A film that won the MTV Best Movie Award (June 17):
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:21 pm

A film with the number 6 (Six, Sixth, etc.) in its title (not a sequel): 6 Days (2017)
A film with a title that starts with the letters K or L: Klondike Fury (1942)
A film from the current IMDb 250 whose ranking includes the #6 (i.e. 16, 64, 216): (see list here) Life of Brian (1979)
A film from the 1950s: From Here to Eternity (1953)
A horror film: A Quiet Place (2018)
A film with an the word "Summer" in its title: Red Hook Summer (2012)
A film that features basketball or hockey prominently (NBA Finals/Stanley Cup) Wolves (2016)
A film about LGBTQ+ lifestyles or with prominent LGBTQ+ characters (LGBT Pride Month): Moonlight (2016)
A film from a Caribbean-American filmmaker (Nat'l Caribbean American Month): Lumumba (2001)
A film with an the word "Kiss" in its title (Nat'l Kissing Day, June 6): The Kissing Booth (2018)
A World War II film (D-Day, June 6): From Here to Eternity
A film mostly set in the beach or the ocean (World Ocean Day, June 8): Beach Blanket Bingo (1965/RW)
A film prominently featuring fathers (Father's Day, June 16): Father of the Year (2018)
A film from Billy Wilder (born June 22): Some Like It Hot (1959)
A film that won the MTV Best Movie Award (June 17): Black Panther (2018)

Feel really unsure about the Kiss title one and the father prominent title, so suggestions are welcome!

Others I think could be helpful
Last Summer (2014) (fits the LGBTQ category as well as the Summer one)
Lilo and Stitch (2002) (fits the starts with K or L title as well as the beach setting)
Hoosiers (1986) (Basketball category)
East of Eden/Strangers on a Train/Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1950s films)
47 Meters Down (2017) (ocean setting/horror film)
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:42 am

A film from the 1950s:
Fun enough little film, definitely of the "We're the monsters" trope, but given that it was released in 1953, I'm willing to let it slide.
One thing that struck me is that it almost seems like a subversion of the typical 50s, Red Scare, aliens-as-metphor-for-Communism thing.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:25 pm

Seen several titles, but this one will qualify for June...and May.

From Here to Eternity (1953)
See a film made in the 1950s (June)
See a war film (May)

As the movie opens, Prewitt (Montgomery Clift) is making his way to a new base in Hawaii. We learn that he was a fine bugle player for the Army (even performing at Arlington), but demanded a transfer because base politics cost him his spot as first bugler.

Once he reports, Prewitt learns from Captain Holmes (Philip Ober) that he's expected to join the base boxing team that's trying to win the championships. When Prewitt refuses, Holmes decides to make his life as hard for him as possible in order to convince him to change his mind. Prewitt gets occasional help from the tough but fair Seargent Warden (Burt Lancaster).

Meanwhile, his best friend Private Maggio (Frank Sinatra) takes Prewitt to an hospitality place where he befriends Lorena (Donna Reed), a hostess with a plan to escape in a year to make a life for herself. Meanwhile, Maggio runs into boistrous loudmouth Sgt. Judson (Ernest Borgnine), the stockade head who is looking for a fight.

Warden hesitates but ultimately relents on an affair with Holmes's neglected wife Karen (Deborah Kerr). But fate has an unexpected plan for everyone...

This film is well acted, well directed and well written. I've heard stories about how this is edited down from the novel (and having read the plot summary on Wikipedia, I can concur this), but it still manages to pack a punch even with some elements edited.

I get why this won best picture.

It's Only the End of the World (2017)
See a film that won the Palme D'Or or the Grand Prix at Cannes (May)

After having gone away for 12 years, writer Louis (Gaspard Ulliel) comes back home to reveal a secret to his family: mom (Nathalie Baye), hot-headed older brother Antoine (Vincent Cassel), his mousy wife Catherine (Marion Cotilliard) and edgy sister Suzanne (Lea Seydoux). Bu unfinished business and family tensions threaten this happy reunion.

It's well acted and time moves well enough. But I can't help but think this could have gone a lot better...

Perhaps the material (this is based on a play) is to blame or maybe Xavier Dolan should have looked at a more dramatic third act when he was adapting it.

As it is, the film fizzles as family ties start to fray and time starts to run out.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:52 am

Continuing to catch up on May titles before I roll up my sleeves and start with June's.

The Central Park Five (2012) was infuriating and sad in equal measure as it recaptures the time in the late 1980s when five young men of color were railroaded into confessing for the vicious attack on a jogger at Central Park. Nice soundtrack and the voices and faces of four of the five (the fifth only agreed to use his voice) really resonate how a bunch of kids who's only guilty of being at the wrong place at the wrong time would agree to cooperate in large part due to coercion. Consider this a companion piece for When They See Us.

Mothers and Daughters (2016) was mediocre melodrama that focused on a photographer (Selma Blair) and various people in her apartment building as they deal with various dramas. The emotions behind them were true, but they never felt like they grew or blossomed onscreen.
Thief

Post by Thief » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:30 pm

Apex Predator wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:25 pm
From Here to Eternity (1953)
See a film made in the 1950s (June)
See a war film (May)

This film is well acted, well directed and well written. I've heard stories about how this is edited down from the novel (and having read the plot summary on Wikipedia, I can concur this), but it still manages to pack a punch even with some elements edited.

I get why this won best picture.
This film ended up being so unlike what I was expecting. Really good film.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:21 pm

More for May...

The Heirs (aka Los Herederos) was a very frustrating film about a high schooler in Mexico who hangs out with the wrong crowd. Things take a turn when he's asked to rob a bakery with a gun.

Film never seemed to recover but it wasn't like it was all that good to start with. Hated the end result.

The Curse of Robert toyed with respectability at times, but this British horror complete with poor man's Harry Treadway as the nicer museum guard dove off a cliff during the final third.

The film about a kindly museum cleaner who learns about the dangerous doll on display will just remind you of better films you could be seeing instead.

PS: The ending reminded me of that slow-motion crash in Speed 2 that just kept going and going...
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:05 pm

A film with a title that starts with the letters K or L:
The Ladies Man 1961
There are probably better Jerry Lewis movies, but this one is a long-time favorite. The inevitable sappy parts aren't as cringey as some of his other films and the musical numbers, while irrelevant, are bearable. But most importantly, the funny bits are funny. The plot, such as it is, concerns a recently-jilted young man who has consequently sworn off women who then finds himself with a job as handyman in an all-woman boarding house. This could have been a setup for Lewis to romance and/or be romanced by a house full of babes, but luckily that's not what this is. Rather, it's just a series of mostly-unrelated gags as Lewis attempts to fulfill his duties. (Ruining a painting he's attempting to dust, for example) Lewis is an acquired taste, but this would be a good starting point for a curious newcomer.

A horror film:
The Babysitter 2017
Watched this one in an attempt to clear out some titles that had been in my Netflix queue forever. A tween with a crush on his babysitter finds out that she's up to some weird shenanigans. The horror-comedy approach makes it all go down pretty smooth but this is mostly empty calories. This is the kind of film where a girl shows up to a babysitting gig looking like she's just had a $200 hair appointment, because she's the "hot babysitter" character. Bella Thorne wears a cheerleader outfit and Robbie Amell is often shirtless. So the film is at least honest about what it is, but I'd say I laughed and groaned in equal measure. (This was my first McG film, and possibly my last :P )

A film prominently featuring fathers (Father's Day, June 16):
The Savages 2007
Laura Linney and PS Hoffman are a pair of siblings who meet up in their home town to deal with their father who is suffering from dementia. While the premise is too grim for light-hearted Father's Day viewing, the film is funnier than one might expect. Highly recommend this one, if just to remind yourself what a tragic loss Hoffman's death was, and also because Tamara Jenkins should make more than one movie per decade. I'll take this opportunity to recommend her other 2 films also.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:59 pm

I think I hit my final film for May and started in with a couple for June...

See a Film Starting with an I or J
Juanita (2019)---The professionalism of Alfre Woodard and Adam Beach make this mediocre Montana drama with some romantic elements work. Not sure why they decided to have her talk to the camera and the film exists to humiliate Juanita at times. But it gets into a groove once she reaches Paper Moon, Montana and starts to work on improving the business prospects of Jess's restaurant. It did do a good job of treating Jess's culture with respect, but it might not have hurt to do the same to Juanita's.

See a Film set in the Beach or the Water
Malibu Rescue (2019)---For those wondering what happened to Savage Steve Holland, well here's his newest. A smart alecky teen who refuses to take responsibility for his actions gets sent off to lifeguard school in Malibu where he annoys his Valley teammates and their struggling newbie captain, tries to get himself kicked out, and struggles to make things right again. It's dumb with a capital D (the bus driver in a painful moment has to repeat a key bit of information to the group that just might save things), but also undeniably funny at points. Ian Ziering shows up as the head of the school and Curtis Armstrong is a high school custodian. :? I might take a break from Netflix originals after this one...but I've got a couple of recommends for next month.

See a Billy Wilder Film
Double Indemnity (1944)---Classic film noir that's considered the greatest for good reason. The direction zips, the dialogue crackles, and the plot jolts as an insurance salesman (Fred McMurray) finds himself caught up in the scheme of a neglected wife (Barbara Stanwyck) to off her husband so they can be together. But their plans hit a snag when his claims adjuster boss (Edward G. Robinson) starts asking questions. Glad I chose this and not Some Like It Hot, which looked fine, but not this good. :up:
Thief

Post by Thief » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:03 am

I really don't see a bright future for this challenge this month, or in the future. If this adoption thing comes through, I'm gonna have to start accepting category merges and month rollovers :D By Day 14, I had only seen two films, but thankfully, I managed to squeeze a couple more during the last days, so here are my quickies...

Slap Shot (1977) Silly, but fun. Not much to say about it, really. Grade: B-

Some Like It Hot (1959) Now, this one was really fun. I enjoyed the performances and the snappy dialogue. And Marilyn? Damn... Grade: A-

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) Very energetic and fast-paced. Fun performances, cool dialogue, and some really LOL moments. I wasn't as blown away as I was expecting, but I had fun with it. Grade: B+

Incendies (2010) Once again, Villeneuve proves to me that he's one of the best directors working right now. Great story, great editing and direction. I kinda figured the twist as it went on, but I still liked how they approached it. Grade: A-

A Quiet Place (2018) Thrilling and well-made. Really enjoyed all the performances and the emotion in it, even if the resolution felt a bit convenient maybe? Still, well handled. Grade: B+
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:34 pm

Thief wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:03 am
If this adoption thing comes through
I hope this means there's been some progress on that front :up:
Looking forward to your reviews of the latest Baby Einstein videos. :)
Thief

Post by Thief » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:26 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:34 pm
I hope this means there's been some progress on that front :up:
Looking forward to your reviews of the latest Baby Einstein videos. :)
Well, I don't wanna count the chicks (or kids) before they hatch, but we're well ahead in the process, it seems. Prospects are looking good for the following month, maybe? give or take? So let's see. Thanks for asking and I'll look forward to those Baby Einstein or Paw Patrol videos :D
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:57 pm

Thief wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:26 pm
I'll look forward to those Baby Einstein or Paw Patrol videos :D
Thief, circa 2021:
"Naughty Monkey's character arc was somewhat predictable, but Friendly Mouse's musical number in the third act was surprisingly effective..."

(Great news by the way. Fingers crossed.)
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:10 pm

I've been trying to merge categories this whole time... :oops:

Congrats on the adoption news...hope it goes well for you!
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:27 pm

I'm so far behind! I've been avoiding the thread out of guilt, which I know is dumb. It's a thread for fun, not a class!
Thief wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:03 am
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) Very energetic and fast-paced. Fun performances, cool dialogue, and some really LOL moments. I wasn't as blown away as I was expecting, but I had fun with it. Grade: B+
As far as I'm concerned, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is the gift that keeps on giving. I quote from it regularly.

"Who taught you math?!"

"He looked sad!"
Thief

Post by Thief » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:30 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:27 pm
I'm so far behind! I've been avoiding the thread out of guilt, which I know is dumb. It's a thread for fun, not a class!

As far as I'm concerned, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is the gift that keeps on giving. I quote from it regularly.

"Who taught you math?!"

"He looked sad!"
The dialogue is great. One that got to me was this exchange:

"Look up idiot in the dictionary. You know what you'll find?"
"A picture of me?"
"No! The definition of the word 'idiot'! Which you fucking are!"

:D
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:21 am

Thief wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:30 pm
The dialogue is great. One that got to me was this exchange:

"Look up idiot in the dictionary. You know what you'll find?"
"A picture of me?"
"No! The definition of the word 'idiot'! Which you fucking are!"

:D
I know you probably watched it via streaming, but should you ever get your hands on the DVD, there's a stellar commentary. In fact, based on this and the commentary track for Spartan I would highly recommend any bonkers Val Kilmer commentary.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:17 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Good thing, because you'd be getting low grades for not showing up. :shock: :P 8-)
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:06 pm

Apex Predator wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:59 pm

See a Billy Wilder Film
Double Indemnity (1944)---Classic film noir that's considered the greatest for good reason. The direction zips, the dialogue crackles, and the plot jolts as an insurance salesman (Fred McMurray) finds himself caught up in the scheme of a neglected wife (Barbara Stanwyck) to off her husband so they can be together. But their plans hit a snag when his claims adjuster boss (Edward G. Robinson) starts asking questions. Glad I chose this and not Some Like It Hot, which looked fine, but not this good. :up:
Yeah, when I finally saw this, just last year I think, I was like, "Really, dude, you put it off all this time to see a slam-dunk like that?"
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:07 pm

Takoma1 wrote:

"Who taught you math?!"

"He looked sad!"
I also find this an infinitely revistable movie.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:20 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:06 pm
Yeah, when I finally saw this, just last year I think, I was like, "Really, dude, you put it off all this time to see a slam-dunk like that?"
To be fair, I originally planned on seeing Some Like It Hot which I've caught a portion of. Then I woke up one day and thought, "Hey, that Double Indemnity film is by Wilder, right?
Let's see that instead!"

Thief saw Hot and thought it was pretty good. So it was one of those I can't lose decisions.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:05 am

Apex Predator wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:20 pm
To be fair, I originally planned on seeing Some Like It Hot which I've caught a portion of. Then I woke up one day and thought, "Hey, that Double Indemnity film is by Wilder, right?
Let's see that instead!"

Thief saw Hot and thought it was pretty good. So it was one of those I can't lose decisions.
Yeah, I took all my life to see Double Indemity and I STILL haven't seen Some Like It Hot.

I have seen Sunset Blvd., Sabrina, The Spirit Of St. Louis, Witness For The Prosecution, The Apartment, The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes, and Buddy Buddy.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:49 am

Wooley wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:05 am
Yeah, I took all my life to see Double Indemity and I STILL haven't seen Some Like It Hot.

I have seen Sunset Blvd., Sabrina, The Spirit Of St. Louis, Witness For The Prosecution, The Apartment, The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes, and Buddy Buddy.
Yeah, just seen Boulevard and Indemnity. Definitely looking forward to more of his movies.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:08 am

I've seen

Sunset Boulevard
The Apartment
Some Like It Hot
Double Indemnity
Ace in the Hole
The Lost Weekend
The Seven Year Itch

Not a lot actually, considering I view him as one of my all-time favorite directors.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:02 pm

Two more June releases knocked out and the word for day is disappointment.

Wolves (2016) is the saga of Anthony (Taylor John Smith) with dreams of going to Cornell on a basketball scholarship. But his father (Michael Shannon) has a crippling addiction to gambling and he's in with some bookies. His mother (Carla Gugino) balances being protective of her son with trying to make things work with her husband. His girlfriend (Zazie Beets) loves him but she may not agree with Tony's plans.

The hoops action for the most part is handled well, if a bit overplayed for dramatic effect (one sequence where the star player encourages his coach to put in some subs with a 5 point lead with 35 seconds left is the somewhat ridiculous exception). The drama is handled well at times. But things start to pile up in the third act as things take melodramatic turns that don't really lead to much of a payoff.

Plus, there's one scene that I can't unsee.

Monty Python's Life of Brian (1979) has some hilarious moments and a nicely surreal climax. But the comedy about a guy named Brian who is mistaken for the messiah (he's alos born in a stable, of course) feels too scattershot at times with some moments that have not aged well. In many ways, it's closer to The Meaning of Life than Holy Grail.
Thief

Post by Thief » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:32 pm

Slentert wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:08 am
I've seen

Sunset Boulevard
The Apartment
Some Like It Hot
Double Indemnity
Ace in the Hole
The Lost Weekend
The Seven Year Itch

Not a lot actually, considering I view him as one of my all-time favorite directors.
I've seen less...

Double Indemnity
Sunset Boulevard
Sabrina
Some Like It Hot
The Apartment

The only one I would consider a "lesser" film would be Sabrina, but the other four are great.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:53 pm

Wooley wrote:
I STILL haven't seen Some Like It Hot.

You people are blowing my mind right now.

Wilders I've seen are:

Some Like it Hot
Sunset Boulevard
The Apartment
Witness for the Prosecution (WILDLY under-discussed, IMO)
Double Indemnity
Ace in the Hole
Stalag 17
The Lost Weekend

I've liked all of them and think that they are all must-sees.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:02 pm

Wooley wrote:
I STILL haven't seen Some Like It Hot.
Dude, the Prytania shows it like twice a year. I will personally Uber you there next time!
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:03 pm

What I've learned here is that not nearly enough people have seen The Fortune Cookie, maybe not on the level of Apartment or Sunset Bld. but my favorite among all of the Lemmon/Matthau duos.

The Wilder film that's been on my wishlist forever has been Fedora, an almost impossible to find film. I've never seen a copy in the wild. If anyone wishes to correct me my pointing me towards one, I will not resist.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:56 am

I've found a copy on YouTube, but it's only 86 minutes. Considering the film is 116 minutes, I'm dubious as to its quality/authenticity.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:10 am

Gee, thanks for the link.

Urgh, this is blurry, cropped and sped up. Hard pass, but I appreciate the effort.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:41 am

I'm not sure how you feel about streaming sites, but here's a link in case you're interested. There are a couple pop up ads to deal with though.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:41 pm

Apex Predator wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:02 pm

Monty Python's Life of Brian (1979) has some hilarious moments and a nicely surreal climax. But the comedy about a guy named Brian who is mistaken for the messiah (he's alos born in a stable, of course) feels too scattershot at times with some moments that have not aged well. In many ways, it's closer to The Meaning of Life than Holy Grail.
Hmm, color me surprised.
I consider Lilfe Of Brian to be Python's best film, by a good measure.
Holy Grail is perhaps the most silly fun and The Meaning Of Life remains a great treat for its comedy, sure, but more for its overall surrealism.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:44 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:02 pm
Dude, the Prytania shows it like twice a year. I will personally Uber you there next time!
Thanks man, I may hold you to that.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:41 pm

Wooley wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:41 pm
Hmm, color me surprised.
I consider Lilfe Of Brian to be Python's best film, by a good measure.
Holy Grail is perhaps the most silly fun and The Meaning Of Life remains a great treat for its comedy, sure, but more for its overall surrealism.
My order of the Python fictional films (not involving a compilation of their sketches) would be:

Holy Grail

Life of Brian

The Meaning of Life
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:49 pm

My favorite Monty Python film is A Fish Called Wanda.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:15 am

Slentert wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:49 pm
My favorite Monty Python film is A Fish Called Wanda.
Well, if we're including those.

Fish Called Wanda would be second and Fierce Creatures would bring up the rear.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:09 am

Apex Predator wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:15 am
Well, if we're including those.

Fish Called Wanda would be second and Fierce Creatures would bring up the rear.
I think Splitting Heirs makes the most compelling case for the rear.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:55 pm

Apex Predator wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:41 pm
My order of the Python fictional films (not involving a compilation of their sketches) would be:

Holy Grail

Life of Brian

The Meaning of Life
To each their own.
I love Holy Grail and Meaning Of Life, I just think Life Of Brian is actually a Great Film and startlingly overlooked by opiners on the subject.