Wooley Watches Movies, Makes Thread

Discuss anything you want.
Wooley

Re: Wooley Watches Movies, Makes Thread

Post by Wooley » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:07 pm

A light comedic romp about teen-suicide with a manic pixie dreamgirl. My how times have changed.
Everyone knows this movie right? I mean, it is one of the best teen-comedies of the 80s and I just assume everyone has seen it several times. It is one of those movies that I can quote virtually any line from and all of my people know exactly what I'm referencing. In the 80s, people like me watched this movie 50 times.
Anyway, if anyone on Earth hasn't seen the movie, it is the story of Lane Meyer, a sort of legitimate loser, a guy who has no motivation to do anything in life so he produces nothing, adds nothing, does nothing. He barely tries at anything so he essentially always fails, therefore feels like he will always fail, therefore never tries. So his girlfriend dumps him. Right before Christmas. So he makes several attempts at suicide, all of course, going wrong, until a manic pixie dreamgirl and a much more manic pixie not-so-dreamboy drag him kicking and screaming into life and hopefully success.
Comedy ensues.
The movie is very clever and risky with a lot of humor that is edgy but fun and interludes of drawn and stop-motion animation. Lasers. Guitar-playing hamburgers. Food that runs away or tries to fight its way out of the pot. And the manic pixie dreamgirl.
Probably my favorite one. Charmed me to death when I was 13 and I could still use her help today. I mean, she fixes a fucking Camaro.
And, of course, Booger is there to shore him up every step of the way and is as entertaining as ever.
It's still a fun, fun movie after all these years, but it's funny how this could simply never happen today.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:23 pm

Wooley wrote: if anyone on Earth hasn't seen the movie
Wooley wrote: stop-motion animation. Lasers. Guitar-playing hamburgers. Food that runs away or tries to fight its way out of the pot.
you have my attention....
Thief

Post by Thief » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:21 pm

Huge fan of the film. Silly, fun, charming, quirky, odd. It's perfect.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:25 pm

Wooley wrote: if anyone on Earth hasn't seen the movie
I too haven't seen this movie yet. Since I didn't grew up in 80s/90s and have no video store around, I have major holes in my movie watching.

The movie sounds great though. The guys at Pure Cinema Podcast have been raving about it too, so it is definitely on my to watch-list.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:51 pm

Thief wrote:Huge fan of the film. Silly, fun, charming, quirky, odd. It's perfect.

Ditto.

Shepherds we shall be, for thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:15 pm

Captain Terror wrote:

you have my attention....
Holy fuck, are you kidding me?!
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:40 pm

I haven't either. :(
Rock

Post by Rock » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:57 pm

+1

Pretty soon it will turn out only Wooley has seen this movie.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:42 pm

I'm really sorry your mom blew up, Ricky.
Thief

Post by Thief » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:37 am

She only speaks French, Roy. She doesn't speak imbecile.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:03 am

*GASP*

You all need to see Better Off Dead. Stat.

TWO DOLLLLLAAAAAARRRRRRSSSSSSS . . . .
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:11 am

"Now that's a damn shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

"It doesn't work. Nothing works. My little brother is building a space shuttle out of household appliances, like vacuum cleaners and stuff? That's probably going to work. I can't get this thing out of the garage."

"

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:13 am

Takoma1 wrote:*GASP*

You all need to see Better Off Dead. Stat.

TWO DOLLLLLAAAAAARRRRRRSSSSSSS . . . .

Yeah, see, my little brother got his arm caught in the microwave. And my grandmother dropped acid and freaked out and hijacked a school bus full of penguins so it's kind of a family emergency.

crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:49 am

I haven't seen Better Off Dead since I was probably about ten. I remember loving it, but then again that was a ten year old brain, and I remember absolutely nothing. Something about a paperboy.
Thief

Post by Thief » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:01 am

crumbsroom wrote:I haven't seen Better Off Dead since I was probably about ten. I remember loving it, but then again that was a ten year old brain, and I remember absolutely nothing. Something about a paperboy.
A depressed teenager tries to cope with his girlfriend breaking up with him by attempting suicide multiple times, while also befriending a cute French foreign-exchange student.

But the truth of the matter is that, although the main story is decently handled despite many typical clichés of the genre, the real charm of the film comes with the quirky, out-of-left-field side plots like the aforementioned paperboy, the Asian racers, the mother's foods, and whatever the little kid is building in his room.

I also saw it for the first time when I was 10-12, but have seen it repeatedly since and it holds up. I'm a fan.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:46 am

Death Proof wrote:"Now that's a damn shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."
That may still be my single favorite gag from any comedy movie ever.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:47 am

Not gonna get single nibble on Spring Break though, eh?
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:22 pm

hamyamys wrote:My eyeballs are ready. :up: Volume Pills | Hersolution Gel | Male Extra | SizeGenetics | Vigrx Plus

Lol it seems like a drop pin ball putting in eyes - disaster
I'm still waiting on my passport from January 2017. :down:
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:32 pm

Wooley wrote:
I too endorse.
although I'm afraid that it won't have the same effect on me re-watching it as a non-teen. might just keep it in the memory bank. we'll see........
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:13 am

Man, I totally forgot the best part!

Amanda Wyss, who played Lane's ex, Beth, had played Tina in A Nightmare On Elm Street the previous year and owns the distinction of being the first person ever killed on-screen by Freddy Krueger.
In the party scene, Beth is with her new boyfriend and a guy (on the right) wearing a very familiar sweater:
:shock:
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:14 pm

I have not seen Better Off Dead :(
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:49 pm

Rumpled wrote:I have not seen Better Off Dead :(
Join the crowd. :)
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:16 am

Well, Apocalypse Now this ain't.
I realize it is not fair to compare every movie about Vietnam to AN but, first of all Director Oliver Stone is clearly aiming there with this film and, second, fuck it, all Vietnam movies are compared to Apocalypse Now.
I saw this movie a couple times in the theater and we watched it a good bit in college too on the VHS-machine. So, on the one hand, I obviously once really liked this film, but on the other, I had reservations going back into it, based on what I felt were shortcomings even when I was a teenager and very young adult. And I was probably right both times.
There is a lot that's good and that does work in this film, but it's also a bit of a mess and mostly due to a surprisingly amateurish script, again by Stone. That and his mostly misfires at creating iconic film moments which were clearly deliberate and often come off as contrived. I can think of at least three just off the top of my head at this moment. One, at the climax no less, is an almost laughable miss.
And yet there are some moments that really do work, mostly in the relationships between the minor characters and in some fairly visceral battle scenes. His major characters and conflicts are almost to... arch... if you will, to play.
The film is essentially the story of the deployment of a fresh young soldier to Vietnam during the hottest part of the conflict, as seen through his eyes, from innocent babe to seasoned veteran in a single tour of duty. His idealism in the beginning gives way to the realities of war as the forces of good and evil wage their own conflict for the souls of the men in the guise of devil and angel, Barnes and Elias...
... played with perhaps just a bit too much menace by Tom Berenger and perhaps just a bit too much sainthood by Willem Dafoe. Both work well enough as archetypes and since, as I mentioned, that is what Stone is working in, I guess they serve the film and its theme or themes. I mean Stone really hams up the angel/devil thing so what are the actors to do but deliver it for him?
As I've said, the film has a lot of effective stuff but it's pretty loosey-goosey with everything as, in contrast to Apocalypse Now which has a clear path it takes the audience down, it is really just day after day in the life of these soldiers with conflicts popping up as needed to advance the thematic content. And then a seemingly inevitable climax that shouts that theme to the heavens, complete with narrative overdub that actually says in words what the theme was.
Which is really the main problem with the film. While it seems to meander a lot, it is also often so on-the-nose that it's a little hard not to roll your eyes. Like casting Martin Sheen's son in the lead role and having him do voice-over narration like some other movie we may have seen. But it's never more true than when it comes to the dialogue. Again, it is so "arch" you almost have to step back and imagine that this is not a literal narrative but more a dramatic representation of what might have happened with these soldiers. And I don't mean like that's what a movie is but almost like a para-movie where someone took a movie about soldiers and then did a dramatization of the movie. Now given some of Stone's other work, I guess this shouldn't surprise, but I was actually surprised by how professional and how amateur it often seemed at the same time or from one scene to the next.
Ultimately though, to no one's surprise, all scenes containing Keith David are highlights of the film as he essentially runs off with every scene he's in. The man commits flat-out larceny with every scene somehow without seeming as over-the-top as some of the other performances.
Really, his function is to ground the film and he does exactly that.
In the end, I would say that Stone has created the abundantly obvious Vietnam movie that Apocalypse Now wasn't and was the better for. This one insists on coming right out and saying everything that Coppola's film told as parable and with maybe 2/3 the craft.
Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:21 am

That was one of my favourites in high school but I haven't seen it in years. Probably due for a rewatch.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:13 am

I am really at a loss for what to say about this movie.
It boggles the mind, it really does.

The premise of this is a story sort-of based on The Wizard Of Oz that actually takes placed during the making of The Wizard Of Oz.
Specifically, there is a story (true or not) that the "little people" that were cast to play The Munchkins in tWoZ absolutely tore up their hotel with their wild partying and antics. This movie... attempts... to set a story of international espionage in the context of that hotel on that day... in the framework of a slapstick comedy. It's so crazy it just might work. Or not.
The film stars Chevy Chase, Carrie Fisher, Billy Barty, Mako, Eve Arden, Adam Arkin, and Pat McCormick... seriously, they got that cast for this.
All the mayhem starts when Chase, a U.S. Secret-Service agent protecting visiting, fading European royalty, Barty, a diminutive Nazi spy, Mako, a seriously irritable Japanese spy, and a European assassin, all converge on The Rainbow Hotel on the day that a large group of identically dressed Japanese photo-tourists and casting co-ordinator Carrie Fisher's Munchkins have overbooked the establishment. Hilarity attempts to ensue.
The movie is an endless stream of sight-gags and word-play that work off stereotypes of midgets and Japanese people and weird European class-conflict. Jokes include little-people walking between a tall man's legs as if they are just a doorway and espionage gone wrong because Japanese people pronounce the letter "L" as the letter "R" so that "liver" becomes "river". Oh, and a dog that keeps dying. Chase and Fisher, as well, really, as Arkin and McCormick are basically all straight-men for these endless, almost vaudevillian gags. Every minute of it feels like an anchronism, which is made weirder by already being an early-80s movie set in 1938.
The movie has one thing going for it, really, and that is Carrie Fisher. Every time she's on-screen, the movie seems to get a little better and find its footing, every time she goes away again, the movie teeters, although it never really collapses simply because it has an exhausting, non-stop energy. But without even that much to work with she gives the movie something worth watching.
Which is why it actually really pissed me off when the movie found a really dumbass way to get her in her underwear for pretty much the whole second act. And then even put her in her underwear on the movie's poster. Now I am a man and I like women in their underwear and I think Carrie Fisher was fucking hot, but it was just such a debasing of her as an actress and of her performance in the film, which is the best thing the movie has going for it. Really pissed me off.
Not that it should have surprised me based on the rest of the film.

Now, Wikipedia says that the film received "extremely negative reviews" but when I looked up the New York Times review from 1981, it really didn't read like a negative review, almost coming across as vaguely positive. One thing I will say is that, while so many of the gags are about midgets and dwarfs being short, the large cast of Munchkins are given quite a bit more than being cute, helpless, and sad to do and be in this film. They drink hard, they party hard, they have sharp one-liners, and they inevitably save the day and I thought that was somewhat redemptive in this film that is otherwise so offensive by contemporary standards it is almost hard to believe.
Anyway, if you can endure it, I say, what the fuck, watch it, you won't fucking believe it.
Stu

Post by Stu » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:40 am

I saw Platoon two times in as many years when I was a teen, but it never made much of an impact at me at the time, and I can't for the life of me remember much of my feelings on the film. Good write-up, though, since now it kind of makes me want to rewatch it again, and get my feelings on it sorted out once and for all.
Last Movie Seen:
John Wick Chapter 3: 8

Recently Reviewed
John Dumbear

Post by John Dumbear » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:46 am

- Loved "Platoon" . This "Born on the Fourth of Jujy" and "AN" are 1a, 1b ,1c for Vietnam films.
- Tried 3 times to get through "Under the Rainbow", never made it. Done trying.
- I know I've seen "Better Off Dead", but be damned if I rememder.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:57 pm

me three with the Platoon and seeing it in high school and never again since and maybe I should again. I know at the time it was hailed as a corrective to all the Rambo-y actioners (including Rambo) that came out between AN and Platoon (and for many years after). I've heard Salvador is a good crypto-Vietnam movie but I haven't seen it so you'll just have to take the other critics' words for it.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:26 pm

Thief wrote:
A depressed teenager tries to cope with his girlfriend breaking up with him by attempting suicide multiple times, while also befriending a cute French foreign-exchange student.

But the truth of the matter is that, although the main story is decently handled despite many typical clichés of the genre, the real charm of the film comes with the quirky, out-of-left-field side plots like the aforementioned paperboy, the Asian racers, the mother's foods, and whatever the little kid is building in his room.

I also saw it for the first time when I was 10-12, but have seen it repeatedly since and it holds up. I'm a fan.

"Badger... what's a little boy like you doing with big boy smut like this?"

RIP Taylor Negron

Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:28 pm

Wooley wrote:

Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:31 pm

Wooley wrote:

I remember liking this movie but I saw it on HBO when it first came out, so I was about 10 years old.

And, like the folks who haven't seen Better Off Dead since they were 10, I'm sure my judgement and fond memories are clouded by my pre-pubescent brain.

I did think it was pretty funny when a bunch of the female midgets had this dude tied to the floor like Gulliver with a bowler hat covering his junk.

Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:55 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:me three with the Platoon and seeing it in high school and never again since and maybe I should again. I know at the time it was hailed as a corrective to all the Rambo-y actioners (including Rambo) that came out between AN and Platoon (and for many years after). I've heard Salvador is a good crypto-Vietnam movie but I haven't seen it so you'll just have to take the other critics' words for it.
I've seen Salvador but it was a long time ago. I dug it but I was young.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:59 pm

Death Proof wrote:

I remember liking this movie but I saw it on HBO when it first came out, so I was about 10 years old.

And, like the folks who haven't seen Better Off Dead since they were 10, I'm sure my judgement and fond memories are clouded by my pre-pubescent brain.

I did think it was pretty funny when a bunch of the female midgets had this dude tied to the floor like Gulliver with a bowler hat covering his junk.
Same, I was 10 or 11 when this hit HBO and I watched it many times. Loved it back then. But I was 10 or 11.
Yes, that pat with the women tying him to the floor is one of the rare bits that hits and is also kinda what I was referring to with how many jokes are about little-people being short but also giving them a lot of agency to be things other than just short, like sexual. The bit with McCormick being tied down by the women is great as he has slowly come to accept a physical attraction to some of these women over the film and has now just given in to THEIR sexual appetites which results in a Gulliver's Travels joke.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:29 pm

Wooley wrote: Same, I was 10 or 11 when this hit HBO and I watched it many times. Loved it back then. But I was 10 or 11.
Yes, that pat with the women tying him to the floor is one of the rare bits that hits and is also kinda what I was referring to with how many jokes are about little-people being short but also giving them a lot of agency to be things other than just short, like sexual. The bit with McCormick being tied down by the women is great as he has slowly come to accept a physical attraction to some of these women over the film and has now just given in to THEIR sexual appetites which results in a Gulliver's Travels joke.

:up:

I think this is due a rewatch.

Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:00 am

So, if it's not apparent already, this is a bit of a nostalgia thread, because I've been feeling nostalgic and keep watching forgotten or semi-forgotten movies from my youth.
And one thing I really loved when I was young were all the street-hustle movies of the early 80s. Watching them made me feel so grown up. But it was a weird thing back then, HBO had come on the scene and most parents didn't really know what to do with it and didn't really realize that their children (I was 9 when we got HBO and maybe 10 1/2 when my parents stopped paying any attention to what I was watching) were watching some really adult-content shit. And I became enthralled by these urban-sleaze high-violence B-movies.
Angel, Vice Squad, The Exterminator, Savage Streets, Death Wish, Deadly Force, drugs, prostitution, murder, rape, torture, revenge, the perfect entertainment diet for a boy 11, 12, 13, 14 years old. It's a miracle I'm not a serial-killer. At least I don't think I am.

So I one day around 13 years old, I came to Streetwalkin', a charming tale about a teenage girl and her younger brother who've run away from home to NYC. Living on the streets and starving, unable to even feed her little brother, Cookie takes a charming street-hustler in a subway station up on his offer of help.
By the very next scene, she is a prostitute in Times Square, the girlfriend of the hustler, a pimp named Duke who must be alright because he's so sweet to her. Little does she know that Duke is not just helping to manage her, he is actually a violent, psychotic pimp who beats his girls viciously for not having their money right. Little does she know until she comes home to find her friend dying from the beating Duke has put on her. From here, the movie kicks into an overdrive of violence and sleaze, in the best 80s B-movie way, as Cookie, sets out to free herself and the other girls from the sadistic Duke.
Yes, that is the 24 year-old version of Academy Award-winner, Melissa Leo, and she's quite good in this. The fact that she is slender and slight and more pretty than sexy, makes it all the more effective when she cuts deals with johns and pimps and picks up a gun when lives are on the line. And she's accompanied by a fairly interesting cast of characters, including none other than Julie Newmar, as a sort-of self-proclaimed queen-of-the-streets who's been around a long time and seen it all.
The cast is even rounded out by Emmie Award-nominee Khandi Alexander.
This film is in the tradition of Angel and Vice Squad, if anything it's almost like a remake of Vice Squad, one of the most mean and gritty urban-sleaze movies of the 1980s, complete with the sadistic pimp, the dead friend (murdered by said sadistic pimp), and the desperate gambit for freedom from the sadistic resulting in all kinds of violence.
But writer/director (and former PBS documentarian) Joan Freeman manages to take a slightly better budget and make a cleaner (not less sleazy, just more streamlined and with better actors) version of the story, not a better one necessarily, but not a bad film, either, certainly a good example of the sub-genre.
New York Times film critic Janet Maslin wrote in September of 1985, "TIMES SQUARE tawdriness is ordinarily the province of male directors, but Joan Freeman has made a fast-paced, creditable B-movie out of Streetwalkin'."
And I think that's accurate.
46 year-old Wooley found it a fast-paced, creditable B-movie.
But 13 year-old Wooley just felt like such a big boy in all this sleaze.
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:09 am

Sounds like i need to see Vice Squad ;)
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:04 am

Rumpled wrote:Sounds like i need to see Vice Squad ;)
How can you go wrong with this theme song performed by the film's villain:
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:51 am

Honestly, this gave me a huge case of the mehs.
It was so by-the-numbers, so sycophantic, and so contrived (and I'm referring to all the things that were changed to make the narrative more conventional and tidy) I found it a struggle to get through and really only the music, watching Malek, and everyone who told me I had to see the Live Aid part got me to finish it.
The movie just didn't make me give much of a shit. Almost nothing was interesting.
And, let's be honest, the whole thing comes down to how much you buy into Rami Malek's performance.
And I really didn't. I didn't feel like I was watching Freddy Mercury, I felt like I was watching a performance of someone else's interpretation of Freddy Mercury, which, of course, I was, but it's not supposed to look like it. It seemed like Malek was working really hard the whole time and not much of it felt natural to me. I realize I don't know Freddy Mercury the person all that well, but I actually lived through his heyday and very little of what I saw on screen reminded me of the character I saw when he was alive. I know the other members of the band went on about how it was like watching Freddy right in front of them again, but let's be honest, they had a lot to gain by selling this movie.
Anyway, I could do without this movie, I doubt I'll ever watch it again.
And that's really all I have to say about it.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:30 am

Wooley wrote:Not gonna get single nibble on Spring Break though, eh?
I'm trying to figure out which one of these films had Tucker Carlson as the yachting villain.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:22 am

This is a favorite from my teenage years, a movie about a cool guy among douches, which, naturally, is how I saw myself, or how I wished myself. Regardless, I identified with these types of characters. Rebellious, charming smartasses. That's who I aspired to be.
And Judd Nelson is no slouch in this department. This is pre-Breakfast Club and he absolutely delivers, he's required to carry much of the load in this film and he is up to the challenge.
But I get ahead of myself, let's have a brief synopsis:
I would say Making The Grade is the story of two young men, one of high privilege and one hustling the street, who find they each have problems the other can help them with. Palmer (Dana Olsen), a pretty useless rich-kid who has managed to stay in boarding school into early adulthood rather than face the real world is given the ultimatum to finally graduate or be disowned. Meanwhile, Eddie (Judd Nelson), a lone young petty hustler, owes a lot of money to higher-level hustler "Dice", played by Andrew "Dice" Clay, who is fed up and ready to break some bones. When their paths cross, an arrangement is made where everyone gets what they need, Palmer a diploma and Eddie the money he needs to pay off "Dice".
But how does it play when this guy:
has to become a "preppy" and fit in with the rich kids?
And what will happen when "Dice" finally finds Eddie at the prep-school?
And how will he fare in his pursuit of a high-society lady-fair and his battle against the Chads...
Well, rest assured, Judd Nelson has the game to make it work.
Or they wouldn't have spent the money to make this movie.
And they should have. You get your money's worth in this film. It is exactly what you think it's gonna be, but it succeeds at being that. Nelson can do the job, Olsen is actually pretty damn funny himself, the supporting cast supports them both just fine (including Gordon Jump, Mr. Carlson from WKRP in Cincinnati), and, no joke, Andrew "Dice" Clay makes his case for why he should have had a much better career if his humor wasn't so extremely misogynistic (and I know that was his schtick but, while it got him fame, it also buried him). When he's in a scene, it's automatically better AND he shows a great sense of humor about himself.

So, honestly, if you have 104 minutes to kill and you're in the mood for one of these "vs. the Preppies" high-school movies from the 80s, you could really spend your time a lot worse than watching this.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:53 am

Expectations can be a bitch.
I saw this movie in a group of six people, male and female, ages ranging from 50 down to 14. No one thought it was a very good movie. Opinions ranged from "the craft was good enough to carry it, but the story was, obviously, disappointing" to "oh, that must have happened while I fell asleep". Fell asleep. In a horror movie.
Even the 14 year-olds were unimpressed and had a lot of very legitimate questions about how the plot held (or failed to hold) together.
I am not going to do any plot synopsis out of concern of spoiling what could possibly end up being a really positive viewing experience for someone else.
What I can say is that Lupita N'yongo is a movie star. The movie puts all of its weight on her and she is absolutely up for it. Completely. And the movie gives her a lot to do. She does her part.
In fact, all the actors do. A lot is asked of them and everyone fills their shoes. Once again, I find myself charmed by Winston Duke, I look forward to seeing more of him.

Ok, now for the rest of the movie.
The craft is excellent. With this second film, Jordan Peele confirms he is a talented filmmaker with a great eye and great vision. It's not Kubrick-level, nor am I sure he's quite at Shyamalan's level, but he's damn good.
The cinematography is strong, the editing is crisp but with plenty of room for moments to breathe, the music is excellent, lighting, you name it.
However, if you were expecting the level of storytelling we got from Get Out, you are going to be disappointed.
All this heavy lifting that is done by the actors, by the cinematographer, the editor, the music director, by Peele The Director, ultimately is done to hold up a plot that cannot hold itself up. That seems pretty early on to have already promised more than it can deliver and, in fact, this proves to be true when the exposition dump comes and it's not even a very good one.
There's no way to sugarcoat it, a talented filmmaker (and a whole lot of other people) has put a tremendous amount of work into what is essentially a sophomore stumble.
With strong craft throughout it is definitely worth seeing but go in with tempered expectations.
Stu

Post by Stu » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:17 am

Even with having the last 2 days off in a row from work, I still couldn't quite muster up the interest to go out to see US, not after feeling that Get Out didn't live up to its potential, or seeing the somewhat weaker critical reactions to it, or remembering that my biggest disappointments of the last few years have been heavily-hyped Horror movies. I am still kind of curious to see it, just to see how good N'yongo is in it, or what the big twist that's upsetting people it; maybe I'll check it out next week, since I think the only new release coming out here then is the Dumbo remake, which I have little interest in anyway.
Last Movie Seen:
John Wick Chapter 3: 8

Recently Reviewed
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:51 am

Stu wrote:Even with having the last 2 days off in a row from work, I still couldn't quite muster up the interest to go out to see US, not after feeling that Get Out didn't live up to its potential, or seeing the somewhat weaker critical reactions to it, or remembering that my biggest disappointments of the last few years have been heavily-hyped Horror movies. I am still kind of curious to see it, just to see how good N'yongo is in it, or what the big twist that's upsetting people it; maybe I'll check it out next week, since I think the only new release coming out here then is the Dumbo remake, which I have little interest in anyway.
I thought Get Out was way beyond its potential, I would have been perfectly comfortable if it had won Best Picture. Us will not be threatening any such thing.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:17 pm

As I've mentioned before, I have a weakness for these early-80s "street" movies, grungy, violent, gang-violence, revenge, whatever type things.
And here is another one.
Neon lighting, ludicrous violence, and sleaze galore are the rule in this genre and while Streetwalkin', Vice Squad, and Angel (for example) are playing it pretty straight, Savage Streets embraces all the excesses as it has been informed by Mad Max and all the sleaze/revenge movies before it, as well as the cheese that had started seeping into everything 80s, and really goes for something a little more over the top. And while it doesn't really make it, in no small part due to an amateurishness across the board, I can't say I wasn't entertained.
This one features Linda "Exorcist" Blair as Brenda, the toughest of the Satins, a sort of 80s Pink Ladies group of girls who run afoul of a real gang known as The Scars.
Underestimating the psychotic violence The Scars traffic in, they trash the gangleader's car after he nearly runs them over. His retribution is extreme, to say the least, involving the rape of Brenda's deaf-mute sister and the murder of her pregnant, engaged friend. As the Satin's numbers dwindle, Brenda takes a long, thoughtful, bath, fully nude of course, to decide that she must take things into her own hands and exact retribution of her own.
From here the movie becomes wonderfully silly as she overacts all the gang-members to death in hilarious, over the top, only in the 80s fashion.
I think The New York Times contemporary review says it well:

"SAVAGE STREETS offers R-rated exploitation with a vengeance... Savage Streets doesn't even have a rudimentary continuity between its scenes, and its performances are crude cartoons. The one quality it does exude is a kind of manic delight in its own awfulness."

And, yes, not to worry, that crossbow is not just for the poster, it features prominently in the film, practically becoming its own character.
Five stars. ;)
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:47 pm

"Say 'what' again, I dare you, I double dare you!"

Sorry. Please continue.
Last Great Movie Seen
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Kaufman, 1978)
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:01 pm

The scene with Linnea Quigley in the gym was just a too ugly for me. It's hard to tell exactly where that line is where something becomes 'too much'. God knows I'm sure I've crossed well past the threshold of other people, so I'm not moralizing here. But for me, it was too much. It left a bad taste in my mouth for the rest of the movie.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:07 pm

crumbsroom wrote:The scene with Linnea Quigley in the gym was just a too ugly for me. It's hard to tell exactly where that line is where something becomes 'too much'. God knows I'm sure I've crossed well past the threshold of other people, so I'm not moralizing here. But for me, it was too much. It left a bad taste in my mouth for the rest of the movie.
No doubt, that's really rough, but that is what these movies traffic in. The transgressions by the villains are always horrifying enough to justify ultraviolent revenge.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:08 pm

Torgo wrote:Image

"Say 'what' again, I dare you, I double dare you!"

Sorry. Please continue.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:00 pm

Wooley wrote:
Goddamn, she looks like Carrie Fisher here.
Wooley wrote:
Straight to psychotic Rosie Perez. Linda had underrated range.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:06 am

Wooley wrote: No doubt, that's really rough, but that is what these movies traffic in. The transgressions by the villains are always horrifying enough to justify ultraviolent revenge.
I'm obviously no shirking violet to the most obscene of obscene films. And for me it's not a question about if the violence is justified, or paid back. I am entirely fine with films that trade in completely unjustified exploitation. If that is the world view of the filmmaker, whether it be straight nihilism or a cheap way to make a mark, I can accept it. Sometimes enthusiastically. I have some absolutely shameful favorite movies. But every once and awhile a specific scene just really rubs me the wrong way. This one, the pissing scene in Last House, probably no more than a handful of others. I just found myself really resenting the movie for bringing me to the place it was bringing me, and I can't even specify any particular reason why one scene will aggravate me, while another I will just chalk up to a director trying to rub its audiences nose in the filth. It's possible there isn't even a distinction, just maybe I watched those scenes on a day when I wasn't up for such transgressions.