Wooley Watches Movies, Makes Thread

Discuss anything you want.
Rock

Re: Wooley Watches Movies, Makes Thread

Post by Rock » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:18 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:13 am
It's like Easy Rider meets the Big Lebowski meets Spring Breakers.
2/3 ain't bad.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:29 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
It's at the very least an island of two. It's like Easy Rider meets the Big Lebowski meets Spring Breakers. I once called it "the Tree of Life of stoner comedies" and stand by that.

My favorite little moment is in the opening when he playfully kicks a trashcan (Trashhumpers) then lovingly plays with a white cat (Gummo), which felt like Korine telling you from the get go that this wasn't going to make you miserable or uncomfortable; it's here to have a good time.
Well, ya know, I'd never seen a Korine movie and I didn't even look him up to see who he was or what he had done until the movie was over. So I had no sense that I might be in for something other than just what a passing glance at a poster or trailer might tell you. And it is so much more than that.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:37 am

Wooley wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:29 am
Well, ya know, I'd never seen a Korine movie and I didn't even look him up to see who he was or what he had done until the movie was over. So I had no sense that I might be in for something other than just what a passing glance at a poster or trailer might tell you. And it is so much more than that.
I'm a pretty big Korine fan. I've only not seen Julien Donkey Boy. I wouldn't recommend Gummo or Trash Humpers to people despite admiring both as they're oppressively ugly films, sometimes literally ugly (TH was filmed on old camcorders).

I think that there's something infectiously watchable about everything he's made though so even when I may not like what I'm looking at, I can't take my eyes off it. It's an energy that few art filmmakers have and I'd be forced to liken him to someone like Herzog, with a penchant for white trash.

Mister Lonely seems to be where he started developing his playful side though it wasn't quite developed.

Spring Breakers is the film that really made me take notice and love his work. On it's surface, it's about privileged, largely white girls that go to Florida and commit crimes with a Riff Raff wannabe but like the Beach Bum, it's so much more than that. An irreverent, Malick-esque exploration of materialism and vacuous party culture. Rock hates it but he is most certainly wrong on this one.

If you love the Beach Bum, I'd give it's Skrillex tinged, angry sister a try before going into any more Korine.

That said, I think TBB may be my favorite Korine too. It's the cinematic equivalent of a delicious margarita and floating in a pool while listening to Van Morrison. I think I'll watch it again soon.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:16 am

Gummo has been an all-time favorite of mine ever since I watched it over two years ago. I'm surprised I haven't seen anything else Korine has done since then.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:20 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:16 am
Gummo has been an all-time favorite of mine ever since I watched it over two years ago. I'm surprised I haven't seen anything else Korine has done since then.
Sprang breeeeeaaaak. Foeva
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:29 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:20 am
Sprang breeeeeaaaak. Foeva
I guess it's time to watch more stars I looked up to as a kid show me how grown up they've gotten.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:10 am

The Beach Bum is in my top three movies of this year (together with High Life and The Favourite). I saw it in a theater with a bunch of drunk college kids, who I hated at first, but that ended up being a perfect experience, somehow.

I wrote about the movie on my blog, if you don't mind the shameless self-promotion. :shifty:
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:02 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:37 am

That said, I think TBB may be my favorite Korine too. It's the cinematic equivalent of a delicious margarita and floating in a pool while listening to Van Morrison. I think I'll watch it again soon.
I would say "It's the cinematic equivalent of a delicious margarita and floating in a pool while listening to Van Morrison, on a quarter hit of acid."
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:03 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:16 am
Then watch The Beach Bum.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:04 am

Slentert wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:10 am
The Beach Bum is in my top three movies of this year (together with High Life and The Favourite). I saw it in a theater with a bunch of drunk college kids, who I hated at first, but that ended up being a perfect experience, somehow.

I wrote about the movie on my blog, if you don't mind the shameless self-promotion. :shifty:
Shameless self-promotion is totally allowed, we all wanna have our work read, right?
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:50 am

:up:

This is basically the same thing I wrote on my blog. This way it is easier to read without disturbing the flow of the conversation.
Slentert wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:51 pm
The Beach Bum (2019)

Harmony Korine’s latest is deeply hilarious and seemingly goes nowhere in between. I was actually surprised how much I liked this one considering how it finds most of its humor in showing the sheer decadence of these rich, privileged people. The trailer of the movie suggests that Matthew McConaughey’s Moondog goes on some spiritual journey in an attempt to become a better person, while in fact that couldn’t be further from the truth. Moondog in this movie is a textbook example of someone failing upwards, who learns nothing in the process, does whatever the fuck he wants, and eventually gets rewarded for this. His so-called writing process of creating the next great American novel comes down to him jotting down some words on his typewriter once in a while in between a hangover and his afternoon nap, usually with some cocktail or a massive joint in his other hand.

And his actual poetry is mediocre at best, while his audience mostly exists out of people who don’t strike me as the kind that enjoys the art form, and who seem more amused by his whole clowns act rather than actually being appreciative of his writings. Moondog is like a cute, untrained puppy, the kind that people applaud because he only pooped on the stone floor instead of the expensive carpet. Korine seems to suggests that if you’re rich and confident enough of your own genius, people will tolerate everything you do and even praise you for it. He’s probably right about that.

This might sound like I was somewhat offended by this movie, which I certainly am not. I don’t even have any kind of disdain for the Moondog character, despite all the ways I previously described him. In fact, I actually had some mild admiration for him while watching this. Or jealousy might be a better word for it. I envy how he has seemingly found peace in this crazy, empty world, only allowing whatever brings him joy into his own personal bubble. "I’m a reverse paranoid. I’m quite certain the world is conspiring to make me happy." he says with a smile. Can you even imagine ever having such a carefree attitude towards everything in life?

There is something poetic about how Korine portrays this world of advantage and indulgence. You can almost describe it like a perverted feelgood movie. There is a weightlessness to it all. Like every moment your feet can leave the ground and you will float around in the air, going wherever the wind will take you, dancing in between the pink clouds.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:47 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
It's at the very least an island of two. It's like Easy Rider meets the Big Lebowski meets Spring Breakers. I once called it "the Tree of Life of stoner comedies" and stand by that.

My favorite little moment is in the opening when he playfully kicks a trashcan (Trashhumpers) then lovingly plays with a white cat (Gummo), which felt like Korine telling you from the get go that this wasn't going to make you miserable or uncomfortable; it's here to have a good time.
Well, that's two out of three (yet to see Easy Rider).

How does this compare to Surfer, Dude in the shirtless surfer philosopher subgenre?
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:47 am

Slentert wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:50 am
:up:

This is basically the same thing I wrote on my blog. This way it is easier to read without disturbing the flow of the conversation.
Ya know, it sounds like we both liked the movie but for very different reasons; I read the film very differently from you.
My take on Moondog was that it turned out, despite all appearances to the contrary, that he was a genius after all, both in talent and philosophy, and that, after persevering, by way of his utterly unshakeable, Taoist-like approach to life, through enough hardships that might fell so many others or at least shake them of their philosophy, his adherence to his philosophy carried him through, his willingness to do what he must while still being true to himself, and his genius was realized again, first in actual success and then in the way he not only did not let success alter his philosophy, he actually used it to carry his philosophy to an even grander place. I found it transcendent.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:18 pm

Well, we were all just grabbed by this.
The General came on during the Buster Keaton marathon earlier this month and I had muted the TV while some other film was on and I had friends over but when this came on we couldn’t help it, it just sucked us in and we kept watching and then we kept trying to stop and just hang out but the movie just kept pulling us in and eventually we just had to give in to it.
I had not watched any Buster Keaton films (I felt like I knew all about Buster Keaton, but had never actually watched any of his films in their entirety) in my life and I watched about 2 1/2 that day, and had the others going in the background the whole day, and I gotta tell ya, I was pretty taken. I mean, I couldn’t believe how great it was and how great he was and I also watched TCM’s short biography on him and I’m just kind of a fan now.
This film in particularly just kept hitting us with scene after scene, great shots, amazing stunts, unbelievable set-pieces as far as we could tell.
I mean, it’s like you think you know movies until you really go back and watch some of the earlier stuff and then you realize so many influences on the work that you know. Now these were not my first silent films, I’ve seen many, but this was really such obviously hugely influential work, like I say, we just kinda stopped and marveled at it.
This film in particular was just striking at every turn and really special. It is hard to imagine that it was a critical and box-office flop at the time and basically was a stake through the heart of his career, especially now that it is considered one of the greatest films ever made.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:43 pm

I actually watched that for the first time just yesterday. I was planning on writing something on it this weekend, but here you go stealing my thunder and all. :x All kidding aside, it's easily one of the most entertaining films I've seen in years. In addition to multiple standout shots and stunts which managed to make my jaw drop despite being over 90 years old, I also picked up on some nuanced character moments after I read Ebert's review where he described Johnnie Gray as a man who takes himself seriously. I rewatched the first 10 minutes and I was quite impressed at how much the way I initially viewed that section had changed. Several moments such as Gray kicking the two kids out of Annabelle's house, cutting in front of people while attempting to get drafted, and the famous shot of him sitting on a moving train began to take double meanings. I imagine I'll get more out of it the second time around.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:51 pm

I saw The General on the big screen earlier this year. It was a kiddie Matinee, so I was surrounded by five year olds. We all loved it. Not the funniest Keaton I've seen, but it was an unexpected thrilling watch. I guess you could call it an early example of an action comedy.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:19 am

Slentert wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:51 pm
I saw The General on the big screen earlier this year. It was a kiddie Matinee, so I was surrounded by five year olds. We all loved it. Not the funniest Keaton I've seen, but it was an unexpected thrilling watch. I guess you could call it an early example of an action comedy.
The train and bridge collapsing just blows my mind. Apparently the most expensive scene in film history up to that point.

Slentert

Post by Slentert » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:37 am

Wooley wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:19 am
The train and bridge collapsing just blows my mind. Apparently the most expensive scene in film history up to that point.

You should watch Buster Keaton's short One Week (1920) if you want to watch some more insane stunt imagery.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:13 pm

Wooley wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:51 am
Oh.
My.
God.
Every time I think the DCEU can't possibly make another historically atrocious film... that they have to - even accidentally - make something that isn't complete dogshit on the level of Ultraviolet but without the excuse of being a low-budget attempt at sci-fi... they prove that it doesn't matter who they put in charge, it doesn't matter who they cast, and it doesn't matter what they spend, there's just something in the fucking WATER at DC/WB that turns everything they do into startling examples of how to make $300M look like shit.
I am astonished. How can they just keep making shit this bad? And somehow the critics, and I said this after Wonder Woman, which was MUCH better than this and actually as good as like bottom-third Marvel, have started giving pity-reviews, fooling me into thinking maybe there was some kind of slow recovery occurring.
But getting to the real points, it has the worst script... I mean, worse than my worst fears going in, the story when it's not simplistic beyond imagination, it's derivative beyond imagination (or just utterly lacking imagination: look, we're in Speed Racer, look, we're in National Treasure, look we're in The Bourne Identity, look, we're in Jurassic World...). The dialogue is atrocious when it isn't just minutes at a time of straight exposition. Which is how EVERY "character" in the movie is developed, not by action or story, but by exposition (he's bad, you're good). It's hard to say if it's horribly miscast (which I felt strongly it is, Patrick Wilson) because Laurence Olivier and Meryl Streep could have salvaged nothing from this dialogue; they even manage to make Willem Dafoe and Nicole Kidman look bad. The shocker is the effects. On this budget?! The green-screening is ubiquitous, I mean I don't think a single shot was filmed on a set or a location, and it's among the worst I've seen, almost burning your retinas with it's two-dimensionality. In general, the CGI is just slightly better than Justice League... which was the worst I'd seen in a tentpole film in ages...
I'm kind of at a loss for words. For it to make all the money it did, people had to go back and see it twice. And I can barely stand to watch it once. At least I sat through Justice League to see just how bad it could get, but having already seen it, I don't need to see how much worse this can.
Really, it's hard to believe that one studio, in one genre, has managed to produce the three worst theatrical release films I've seen in the last five years, but Aquaman, almost as good as its tagline, completes the trifecta.
So I ignored lots of advice and watched Aquaman last night and we're mostly in agreement here. Some bullet points:

* Agreed about the exposition, and this is something I normally don't notice in films. Like the first half hour just felt like people telling me stuff.
* Another thing I rarely notice is when a score is really disjointed. But this one was sometimes orchestral, sometimes sounded like Giorgio Moroder, and when somebody was acting badass a rap beat would show up and at one point there was a rock song that sounded like Evanescence or something.
* I'll admit I liked the way a lot of this looked, in terms of set design (not that there were sets, but you know...) creature designs, etc. Unfortunately, the movie is 2-1/2 hrs long which means there's also plenty of room for stuff that looked terrible. And by "terrible" I mean like the Attack of the Clones' "actor's disembodied head superimposed onto a cartoon" effect.
* At one point during the Battle of the Five Armies, having long since stopped caring, I suddenly thought "Wait-- wasn't this movie about Manta about 3 hours ago?". Why was he in this? I get that he's the traditional arch enemy, but he was irrelevant to this story. An Aquaman vs Manta movie should have been completely separate from a War of Atlantis movie. Delete his story and this one might've been a more manageable 1:45 or so.
* Speaking of Manta, I'm always pleased when a character's costume makes it to the screen unaltered, but this guy just looked like a villain from Infra-Man.
* Amber Heard's performance (her fault), and her dialogue (not her fault), did nothing to convince me that Aquaman would be in any way drawn to her, other than the fact that she was a "pretty lady roughly his age". There was nothing there to make me care if they got together at the end.
* I haven't been a fan of Momoa's "Aqua-dude" in the previous films, but in this setting his charisma and humor was more welcome, given the dreary stuff he had to play against (Patrick Wilson). This might sound like a compliment but what I'm actually saying is "That guy I don't like was my favorite character."

On the plus side, I got to watch Willem Defoe ride a hammerhead shark so it wasn't a total loss.
Death Proof

Re: Wooley Watches Movies Makes Thread

Post by Death Proof » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:39 pm

itastMaix wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:51 am
You are mistaken. Let's discuss. Write to me in PM, we will communicate.
I have an idea. How about you go fuck yourself, Ivan?
If I am the Phantom, it is because man's hatred has made me so. If I shall be saved, it will be because your love redeems me.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:55 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:13 pm
So I ignored lots of advice and watched Aquaman last night and we're mostly in agreement here. Some bullet points:

* Agreed about the exposition, and this is something I normally don't notice in films. Like the first half hour just felt like people telling me stuff.
* Another thing I rarely notice is when a score is really disjointed. But this one was sometimes orchestral, sometimes sounded like Giorgio Moroder, and when somebody was acting badass a rap beat would show up and at one point there was a rock song that sounded like Evanescence or something.
* I'll admit I liked the way a lot of this looked, in terms of set design (not that there were sets, but you know...) creature designs, etc. Unfortunately, the movie is 2-1/2 hrs long which means there's also plenty of room for stuff that looked terrible. And by "terrible" I mean like the Attack of the Clones' "actor's disembodied head superimposed onto a cartoon" effect.
* At one point during the Battle of the Five Armies, having long since stopped caring, I suddenly thought "Wait-- wasn't this movie about Manta about 3 hours ago?". Why was he in this? I get that he's the traditional arch enemy, but he was irrelevant to this story. An Aquaman vs Manta movie should have been completely separate from a War of Atlantis movie. Delete his story and this one might've been a more manageable 1:45 or so.
* Speaking of Manta, I'm always pleased when a character's costume makes it to the screen unaltered, but this guy just looked like a villain from Infra-Man.
* Amber Heard's performance (her fault), and her dialogue (not her fault), did nothing to convince me that Aquaman would be in any way drawn to her, other than the fact that she was a "pretty lady roughly his age". There was nothing there to make me care if they got together at the end.
* I haven't been a fan of Momoa's "Aqua-dude" in the previous films, but in this setting his charisma and humor was more welcome, given the dreary stuff he had to play against (Patrick Wilson). This might sound like a compliment but what I'm actually saying is "That guy I don't like was my favorite character."

On the plus side, I got to watch Willem Defoe ride a hammerhead shark so it wasn't a total loss.
Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Wait, how many yeses? Just yeses everywhere.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:56 am

Death Proof wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:39 pm
I have an idea. How about you go fuck yourself, Ivan?
Aw man, did that shit turn up in my thread too! Motherfucker.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:09 pm

Wooley wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:56 am
Aw man, did that shit turn up in my thread too! Motherfucker.
Fuck it, bro. Have a drink on me.
If I am the Phantom, it is because man's hatred has made me so. If I shall be saved, it will be because your love redeems me.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:21 am

Death Proof wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:09 pm
Fuck it, bro. Have a drink on me.
Thanks, man.