Corrie Class Trip 4.0 #3: Wake in Fright (Sat 02/09)

Discuss anything you want.
Popcorn Reviews

Corrie Class Trip 4.0 #3: Wake in Fright (Sat 02/09)

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:45 pm

Corrie Class Trip is a project where we rotate the selection of a title for group watches on an appointed day/date to then discuss [previous iterations linked below]. We welcome all to participate and share their thoughts and feelings! The third viewing for Round 4 is scheduled for Saturday, February 9th. Please post about the film itself and your experience with it in this thread, and any off-topic posts about the series itself in the Class Trip Discussion Thread.

Thanks and enjoy!!!

xoxo,
your classmates

:heart: :heart: :heart:
Saturday, February 9th 2019
Wake in Fright (Ted Kotcheff, 1971)
imdb wrote:John Grant, a teacher working in the remote Australian town of Tiboonda, is under a financial bond with his Government job. At the end of term before Christmas holidays, he plans to visit his girlfriend in Sydney. In order to catch a flight to Sydney, he takes a train to the nearby mining town called Bundanyabba (or "The Yabba"), and plans to stay there overnight before moving on further to the airport. But things go grossly out of script as he is engulfed by the Yabba and its disconcerting residents.
Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun Times wrote:Kotcheff's film is raw and uncompromised, well-acted, brilliantly photographed and edited.
It can be found on Amazon Prime.

Past Trips, Senior Year:

#1 - Ex Drummer (2007, Koen Mortier, Belgium) | Slentert
#2 - The Territory (1981, Raul Ruiz, Portugal) | Rock

Past Trips, Junior Year:

#1 - La maternelle (1933, Jean Benoît-Lévy & Marie Epstein, France) | wigwam
#2 - Time and Winds (2006, Reha Erdem, Turkey) | Oxnard Montalvo
#3 - Clean, Shaven (1993, Lodge Kerrigan, USA) | Popcorn Reviews
#4 - Diabeł (1972, Andrzej Żuławski, Poland) | Oxnard Montalvo
#5 - Black Friday (2004, Anurag Kashyap, India) | Rock
#6 - Schizopolis (1996, Steven Soderbergh, USA) | Slentert
#7 - Hearts and Minds (1974, Peter Davis, USA) | Popcorn Reviews
#8 - Xtro (1982, Harry Bromley Davenport, UK) | crumbsroom
#9 - The House (1997, Šarūnas Bartas, France) | Oxnard Montalvo
#10 - Spider-Baby (1967, Jack Hill, USA) | Slentert
#11 - Oh Lucy! (2017, Atsuko Hirayanagi, Japan/USA) | Shieldmaiden
#12 - The Heartbreak Kid (1972, Elaine May, USA) | Jinnistan

Past Trips, Sophomore Year:

#1 - The Worthless (1982, Mika Kaurismäki, Finland) | snapper
#2 - Shopping for Fangs (1997, Quentin Lee and Justin Lin, USA) | takeshi
#3 - The Heart of the Wise Lives in the House of Sorrow (2009, Marin Malešević, Serbia) | Shieldmaiden
#4 - The Forbidden Quest (1993, Peter Delpeut, Netherlands) | kopello
#5 - São Bernardo (1972, Leon Hirszman, Brazil) | Bandy Greensacks
#6 - Evdokia (1971, Alexis Damianos, Greece) | Epistemophobia
#7 - The Ball at the Anjō House (1947, Kōzaburō Yoshimura, Japan) | snapper
#8 - Sérail (1976, Eduardo de Gregorio, France) | takeshi
#9 - Passport for a Corpse (1962, Mario Gariazzo, Italy) | JediMoonShyne
#10 - Aksuat (1997, Serik Aprimov, Kazakhstan) | Shieldmaiden
#11 - Dangerously Excited (2011, Koo, South Korea) | wigwam
#12 - Himala (1982, Ishmael Bernal, Philippines) | snapper

Past Trips, Freshman Year:

#1 - Distant Journey (1949, Alfréd Radok, Czechoslovakia) | snapper
#2 - Nanami: The Inferno of First Love (1968, Susumu Hani, Japan) | Das
#3 - The Policewoman (2003, Joaquim Sapinho, Portugal) | charulata
#4 - Freeze, Die, Come to Life! (1989, Vitali Kanevsky, USSR) | Bandy Greensacks
#5 - The Perfume of the Lady in Black (1974, Francesco Barilli, Italy) | Trip
#6 - Weddings and Babies (1958, Morris Engel, USA) | snapper
#7 - The Man with Three Coffins (1987, Lee Jang-ho, South Korea) | Notes from Underground
#8 - Malina (1991, Werner Schroeter, Germany) | Shieldmaiden
#9 - Bad Luck (1960, Andrzej Munk, Poland) | B-Side
#10 - The Girl with the Suitcase (1961, Valerio Zurlini, Italy) | JediMoonShyne
#11 - The Engagement of Anna (1972, Pantelis Voulgaris, Greece) | BandyGreensacks
#12 - Our Neighbor, Miss Yae (1934. Yasujirō Shimazu, Japan) | snapper
Macrology

Re: Corrie Class Trip 4.0 #3: Wake in Fright (Sat 02/09)

Post by Macrology » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:11 pm

An excellent choice.
Ma`crol´o`gy
n. 1. Long and tedious talk without much substance; superfluity of words.
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:08 am

Been meaning to give this a rewatch. Will dig up my copy this weekend and join in.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:47 pm

Hopefully, I didn't pick a film which everyone here has already seen.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:41 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:Hopefully, I didn't pick a film which everyone here has already seen.
I'm a first-timer :up:
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:59 am

Captain Terror wrote: I'm a first-timer :up:
It's pretty amazing/horrifying. I definitely didn't know what I was getting into.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:18 am

Takoma1 wrote:
It's pretty amazing/horrifying. I definitely didn't know what I was getting into.
Yikes. What've you gotten me into, Pops? :P
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:08 am

Captain Terror wrote: Yikes. What've you gotten me into, Pops? :P
I mostly mean that as a compliment.

My one issue with it had to do with a sequence of animal cruelty and I've never been completely satisfied with the different explanations of how that sequence was put together (trying to stay kind of vague since you haven't seen it).

I was expecting a good thriller but what I got was several levels above. It's a great film and just a lot more complex than what I expected.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:35 am

Captain Terror wrote: Yikes. What've you gotten me into, Pops? :P
I'll guess we'll find out soon.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:16 pm

I've seen it, but I'll be happy to stop by Saturday for a little discussion.
Ant-Man and the Wasp ▪ Night Must Fall ▪ Colo ▪ Help Me, Eros ▪ Le bonheur ▪ Time Bandits ▪ All About Nina ▪ Love Is the Beginning of All Terror ▪ Capernaum ▪ Mary Queen of Scots ▪ Lazzaro felice

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf
Thief

Post by Thief » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:58 pm

I probably won't be able to rewatch it, but I might join the discussion. It was a couple of years since I saw it, but it's the kind of film that sticks with you.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:14 pm

oh shit, I've been meaning to see this one for a while..... gotta catch up soon I guess

I hope it is funnier than Weekend at Bernie's!
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:18 am

Has anyone else watched this yet? I found it to be a highly shocking film which explored the depths of hyper masculinity. While it doesn't offer much in the way of character development, what it does instead is detail an outsider's horrific descent into it once he begins to spend time amongst various people who represent this in several shocking scenes. This leads up to the haunting climax where his actions begin to take an emotional toll on him which is both conveyed and edited real well. The kangaroo scene was hard to watch, but it's part of the film's visceral power. I feel like that sequence pushes the intensity of the film to a much more shocking level. In addition to strong acting and some great cinematography which brings out how drab the setting is, this film is pretty fantastic.

8/10
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:25 am

Visceral's a good word for this one. I liked it less than you did, but I can't deny it's effect. I remember feeling sort of sick by the end, almost... hungover. Not a film I want to rewatch.
Ant-Man and the Wasp ▪ Night Must Fall ▪ Colo ▪ Help Me, Eros ▪ Le bonheur ▪ Time Bandits ▪ All About Nina ▪ Love Is the Beginning of All Terror ▪ Capernaum ▪ Mary Queen of Scots ▪ Lazzaro felice

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:07 pm

aka What Happens in the Yabba Stays in the Yabba

I'd never seen this before, so I was surprised to find that this was streaming on Shudder, which is a service devoted to horror films. And while I'm sure more than one Shudder subscriber has been disappointed to find that it's not their idea of horror, it's certainly horrific nevertheless. At times it felt like a murder-less TX Chainsaw Massacre, where everyone is sweaty and miserable and stagnant. The 'roo hunt is certainly one of those moments where I had to pause the film and check IMDB to verify that I was seeing what I thought I was seeing (I was), but the horror doesn't end there. One of the most memorable moments for me was when Pleasence says he went to the city "once". The idea that someone his age had spent every day of his life in that environment was just...ugh.
So I thought it was excellent and there's no doubt I'll rewatch it eventually. Good choice, PR. :up:
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:38 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:I found it to be a highly shocking film which explored the depths of hyper masculinity.
I saw it as definitely exploring a more dangerous version of masculinity. I've definitely seen (living in the country now but having grown up in a city setting), how guys who grow up in a city environment are weirdly drawn to this very destructive version of being a "man". There is a huge difference between hunting an animal, killing it as humanely as possible, and utilizing it for its meat as opposed to, for example, shooting an animal from the back of your truck bed just for kicks and leaving the dead corpse by the side of the road or in a field.

I think that both urban and rural environments both have ways that men (or women) with destructive, egocentric behaviors can make life a more dangerous and miserable place. But rural environments definitely give more of that "wild west" feeling, where it's possible to scream and no one hears you, or there's one police officer and he's best buds with the guy committing the crimes.

I think that Wake in Fright really shows how indulging in that reckless form of "masculinity" (and I use quotes here because I think that spotlighters are like the exact opposite of any kind of man I'd respect, ever, and implying they are "manly" is incorrect) can be intoxicating but is also ultimately destructive.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:41 pm

I'm definitely going to watch this but I had a terrible week and I'm just not in the mood for this right now. If you don't mind, I'll try to give it a chance somewhere next week, 'cause it sounds like something I'd enjoy when being in the right state of mind.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:50 pm

Slentert wrote:I'm definitely going to watch this but I had a terrible week and I'm just not in the mood for this right now. If you don't mind, I'll try to give it a chance somewhere next week, 'cause it sounds like something I'd enjoy when being in the right state of mind.
I'm sorry to hear that. I don't mind waiting a bit.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:54 pm

Donald Pleasence is so great here. As someone who primally sees him as Dr. Loomis, he always seems to me to have such a sinisterly wary air about him, with those 'spicious beady blue eyes and terrible secrets. He's made a lucrative career off of this look, and it's perfectly applied here, the unreliable guide through some unfathomable sweatstorm of lurking horror.

The fact that
he turns out to be a pretty good guy, a savant samaritarian who has no idea how horrific his lifestyle appears to be
is the pudding on the pie.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:07 pm

Pleasence was the MVP for me
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:16 pm

Yeah, Pleasance was pretty great.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:29 pm

Jinnistan wrote:Donald Pleasence is so great here. As someone who primally sees him as Dr. Loomis, he always seems to me to have such a sinisterly wary air about him, with those 'spicious beady blue eyes and terrible secrets.
The first role that comes to my mind is Professor McGregor. (Maybe that's more the chimpanzee than anything, haha.) But I agree with everyone, he's really good in this!

Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:25 am

Out of everyone who posted their thoughts in here, Takoma and Captain Terror are the only ones who haven't chosen a topic yet. Would one of you like to go next?
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:40 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:Out of everyone who posted their thoughts in here, Takoma and Captain Terror are the only ones who haven't chosen a topic yet. Would one of you like to go next?
I don't have a film in mind at the moment, but I'll give it some thought. No hard feelings if someone cuts in line ahead of me.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:46 pm

Captain Terror wrote: I don't have a film in mind at the moment, but I'll give it some thought. No hard feelings if someone cuts in line ahead of me.
I'm going to be up a mountain for the next week, day and night, with my students, so someone else should probably take this round.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:23 pm

Takoma1 wrote: I'm going to be up a mountain for the next week, day and night, with my students
Ok, sounds like Tak will be busy next week, being murdered! Honestly, it's like you've never seen a horror film.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:52 pm

Captain Terror wrote: Ok, sounds like Tak will be busy next week, being murdered! Honestly, it's like you've never seen a horror film.
Oh, I've seen plenty of them. I've got 35 little human shields, and I can run faster than all but maybe three of them.

The real terror is the sleep deprivation. Because my team is made up of two male teachers and then me, so they get to take turns being the person on "active duty" at night in the male dorm, but I will be on high alert three straight nights in a row.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:49 pm

Beware of the pan-flute, Takoma.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:57 pm

Jinnistan wrote:Beware of the pan-flute, Takoma.
I'm hoping I'll get a chance to investigate a strange noise by myself. I'll yell, "Hello? Is someone there?". Then, as a shadowy figure sprints behind me, just out of my sight, I'll go "Guys, this isn't funny!".
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:10 pm

The recent passing of Albert Finney has reminded me of Night Must Fall, which I enjoyed some 25 years ago but haven't seen since the VHS era. It's only been logged 100 times on Letterboxd, so I assume it's one that a few of you haven't seen? I found a decent copy online for free so if everyone is on board this will be my nomination. Based on what I remember Finney's performance is either brilliant or terrible, but it'll definitely be fun to talk about either way.
It's from 1964, directed by Karel Reisz with cinematography by Freddie Francis. If you've all seen it, then I'll come up with something else.

Also--due to a complex series of lunar patterns I'm the beneficiary of a rare Mardi Gras/Birthday confluence this year (my odds of surviving the weekend are probably worse than Takoma's), so let's shoot for March 9?
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:16 pm

Captain Terror wrote:The recent passing of Albert Finney has reminded me of Night Must Fall, which I enjoyed some 25 years ago but haven't seen since the VHS era. It's only been logged 100 times on Letterboxd, so I assume it's one that a few of you haven't seen? I found a decent copy online for free so if everyone is on board this will be my nomination. Based on what I remember Finney's performance is either brilliant or terrible, but it'll definitely be fun to talk about either way.
It's from 1964, directed by Karel Reisz with cinematography by Freddie Francis. If you've all seen it, then I'll come up with something else.

Also--due to a complex series of lunar patterns I'm the beneficiary of a rare Mardi Gras/Birthday confluence this year (my odds of surviving the weekend are probably worse than Takoma's), so let's shoot for March 9?
I'm down for it.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:19 am

Captain Terror wrote:The recent passing of Albert Finney has reminded me of Night Must Fall, which I enjoyed some 25 years ago but haven't seen since the VHS era. It's only been logged 100 times on Letterboxd, so I assume it's one that a few of you haven't seen? I found a decent copy online for free so if everyone is on board this will be my nomination. Based on what I remember Finney's performance is either brilliant or terrible, but it'll definitely be fun to talk about either way.

This sounds good to me, but I'll probably need that free link since I don't think I have access to this one otherwise.