Corrie Class Trip 4.0 #8: Eden And After (L'eden et apres) (Sat. 9/7)

Discuss anything you want.
Jinnistan

Corrie Class Trip 4.0 #8: Eden And After (L'eden et apres) (Sat. 9/7)

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:00 am

Eden And After (L'eden et apres) 1970, Alain Robbe-Grillet

My understanding is that this film is a bit of a lost midnight movie sort, somewhat in the realm of Jodorowsky and Barbet Schroeder's Floyd films. "A group of French students are drawn into the psychological and sexual games of a mysterious Dutchman. Once they sample his 'fear powder' the students experience a series of hallucinations." The film, a French/Czech co-production, had a number of censorship issues over its sexual content. Popcorn, I'm gonna trust you're 18. I hope no one else gets hurt.

Xtra cred: Robbe-Grillet would recut footage of this film a year later as N. Takes the Dice. If you happen to have seen this one, let us know what that's about.

Random quote from Robbe-Grillet's 1965 essay collection For a New Novel:
Alain Robbe-Grillet wrote:The novelist's critical consciousness can be useful to him only on the level of choices, not on that of their justification. He feels the necessity of using a certain form, of rejecting a certain adjective, of constructing this paragraph in a certain way. He puts all of his effort into the search for the right word, and for the right place to put it. But of this necessity he can produce no proof (except, occasionally, after the fact). He implores us to believe him, to trust him. And when we ask him why he has written his book, he has only one answer" "To try and find out why I wanted to write it."

Class Trip Discussion Thread

Past Trips, Senior Year:

#1 - Ex Drummer (2007, Koen Mortier, Belgium) | Slentert
#2 - The Territory (1981, Raul Ruiz, Portugal) | Rock
#3 - Wake In Fright (1971, Ted Kotcheff, Australia) | Popcorn Reviews
#4 - Night Must Fall (1964, Karel Reisz, UK) | Captain Terror
#5 - Fat Girl (2001, Catherine Breillat, France | Oxnard Montalvo
#6 - Marseille (2004, Angela Schanelec, Germany) | Oxnard Montalvo
#7 - Hunger (1966, Henning Carlson, Den/Swede) | Popcorn Review

Past Trips, Junior Year:

#1 - La maternelle (1933, Jean Benoît-Lévy & Marie Epstein, France) | wigwam
#2 - Time and Winds (2006, Reha Erdem, Turkey) | Oxnard Montalvo
#3 - Clean, Shaven (1993, Lodge Kerrigan, USA) | Popcorn Reviews
#4 - Diabeł (1972, Andrzej Żuławski, Poland) | Oxnard Montalvo
#5 - Black Friday (2004, Anurag Kashyap, India) | Rock
#6 - Schizopolis (1996, Steven Soderbergh, USA) | Slentert
#7 - Hearts and Minds (1974, Peter Davis, USA) | Popcorn Reviews
#8 - Xtro (1982, Harry Bromley Davenport, UK) | crumbsroom
#9 - The House (1997, Šarūnas Bartas, France) | Oxnard Montalvo
#10 - Spider-Baby (1967, Jack Hill, USA) | Slentert
#11 - Oh Lucy! (2017, Atsuko Hirayanagi, Japan/USA) | Shieldmaiden
#12 - The Heartbreak Kid (1972, Elaine May, USA) | Jinnistan

Past Trips, Sophomore Year:

#1 - The Worthless (1982, Mika Kaurismäki, Finland) | snapper
#2 - Shopping for Fangs (1997, Quentin Lee and Justin Lin, USA) | takeshi
#3 - The Heart of the Wise Lives in the House of Sorrow (2009, Marin Malešević, Serbia) | Shieldmaiden
#4 - The Forbidden Quest (1993, Peter Delpeut, Netherlands) | kopello
#5 - São Bernardo (1972, Leon Hirszman, Brazil) | Bandy Greensacks
#6 - Evdokia (1971, Alexis Damianos, Greece) | Epistemophobia
#7 - The Ball at the Anjō House (1947, Kōzaburō Yoshimura, Japan) | snapper
#8 - Sérail (1976, Eduardo de Gregorio, France) | takeshi
#9 - Passport for a Corpse (1962, Mario Gariazzo, Italy) | JediMoonShyne
#10 - Aksuat (1997, Serik Aprimov, Kazakhstan) | Shieldmaiden
#11 - Dangerously Excited (2011, Koo, South Korea) | wigwam
#12 - Himala (1982, Ishmael Bernal, Philippines) | snapper

Past Trips, Freshman Year:

#1 - Distant Journey (1949, Alfréd Radok, Czechoslovakia) | snapper
#2 - Nanami: The Inferno of First Love (1968, Susumu Hani, Japan) | Das
#3 - The Policewoman (2003, Joaquim Sapinho, Portugal) | charulata
#4 - Freeze, Die, Come to Life! (1989, Vitali Kanevsky, USSR) | Bandy Greensacks
#5 - The Perfume of the Lady in Black (1974, Francesco Barilli, Italy) | Trip
#6 - Weddings and Babies (1958, Morris Engel, USA) | snapper
#7 - The Man with Three Coffins (1987, Lee Jang-ho, South Korea) | Notes from Underground
#8 - Malina (1991, Werner Schroeter, Germany) | Shieldmaiden
#9 - Bad Luck (1960, Andrzej Munk, Poland) | B-Side
#10 - The Girl with the Suitcase (1961, Valerio Zurlini, Italy) | JediMoonShyne
#11 - The Engagement of Anna (1972, Pantelis Voulgaris, Greece) | BandyGreensacks
#12 - Our Neighbor, Miss Yae (1934. Yasujirō Shimazu, Japan) | snapper
Rock

Re: Corrie Class Trip 4.0 #8: Eden And After (L'eden et apres) (Sat. 9/7)

Post by Rock » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:57 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:00 am
Xtra cred: Robbe-Grillet would recut footage of this film a year later as N. Takes the Dice. If you happen to have seen this one, let us know what that's about.
I've seen it, but suspect I would have gotten a lot more out of it if I'd seen this first, as a lot of its effect comes from rearranging pre-existing narrative elements to new effects. So I might join in this weekend, if only to make retroactive sense of that one.

As for Robbe-Grillet, I remember enjoying Trans-Europe Express and especially Successive Slidings of Pleasure, although the latter has a somewhat awkward element of the director kind of oversharing his fetishes. If you find yourself put off when Tarantino features foot closeups, that movie might be a bit much for you as well.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:11 am

I'll be there.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:30 am

I have this one, and haven't watched it yet. So I'm in!
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:16 pm

I hope it's a weird one!
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:26 pm

I'm going to make an effort and try and watch this one. I know I skipped on several previous Class Trips, but I would very much like to join y'all in the fun.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:41 pm

And yes, I am 18 years old. ;)
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:59 pm

in the event it gets taken down between now and Friday, I have a backup
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:21 pm

Also, I'm now 20 years old.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:26 pm

Rock wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:57 am
I've seen it, but suspect I would have gotten a lot more out of it if I'd seen this first, as a lot of its effect comes from rearranging pre-existing narrative elements to new effects. So I might join in this weekend, if only to make retroactive sense of that one.
Look at this Rock hipness: "I haven't actually seen The Shining yet, but I did track down about five hours of Room 237 b-roll at a film festival, so I thought, well, it's Tuesday....."

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:59 pm
in the event it gets taken down between now and Friday, I have a backup
I went ahead and downloaded that clip from Youtube for my own collection. It really is a nice looking transfer.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:28 pm

I admit. I'm weak. I watched this last night. I'll just save my thoughts for the weekend.
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:57 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:26 pm
Look at this Rock hipness: "I haven't actually seen The Shining yet, but I did track down about five hours of Room 237 b-roll at a film festival, so I thought, well, it's Tuesday....."
Ha!

The real reason I've seen N. Took the Dice and not Eden and After is that Fandor had the former but not the latter (back when I had a subscription at least).
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:19 pm

if I don't get to this tonight, it's because I was too tired. in retrospect, I should have watched it last night. but oh well
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:32 pm

I'm watching this now.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:24 am

The film slides from a set of Euro-cliches - the more boring Godard in the first third to the more intriguing Antonioni in the last third, winding up with some kind of spontaneous Persona riff along the way - and Robbe-Grillet never finds a distinctive voice throughout. The film is often sumptuous to look at, especially in its last half, making up for the more tepid glass-square-cubicle look of the first half (itself, I suppose, an illustration of liberation), but conceptually the film remains at a distance, and far from fulfilling such an excellently lovely invocation as the linguistically provocative tandem that Eden and After suggests. Instead there are the more obvious connections to innocence and hedonism without much complication to either. Most interestingly, for me, was in guessing how much of this film was inspiring to the more recent Let The Corpses Tan, and I'm not quite convinced that the latter isn't the better film.

Still, a very interesting film, a curio perhaps, about as obscure as it needs to be.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:49 am

I'll get to this one tomorrow. I've been a lot busier than I expected.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:21 pm

I thought it was pretty alright. I think I got the gist of it, which is how a bored college student was looking for adventure and pleasure after a Dutchman offered it to her only to get more than what she bargained for. The film essentially goes about handling this story (which is a fine outline for a plot) in a bizarre and unconventional manner which leaves many details ambiguous. I'll always respect any movie which is willing to stick to big, weird ideas. I guess my issue is that, after watching it, I wasn't sure I got much about it. I didn't feel much emotion towards the events (although, maybe Robbe-Grillet wasn't concerned with that) nor did I feel I had much to ponder over. Sure, various shots were quite sublime and many sequences served to reinforce what it was going for. It's just that I already felt I got its point while watching it, so repeating it had less of an effect on me as it went on. Still though, it's an interesting film and I don't regret watching it.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:41 pm

I'm having trouble with the subtitles. I have shit eyes and can't read them. Is there a way to change their format. They're like white on white and I feel there must be an easy solution to this problem since no one else had mentioned it
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:45 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:41 pm
I'm having trouble with the subtitles. I have shit eyes and can't read them. Is there a way to change their format. They're like white on white and I feel there must be an easy solution to this problem since no one else had mentioned it
Isn't there a dark gray/black border around the subtitles? It's there for my computer at least.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:45 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:41 pm
click the "settings" button, then click "subtitles", then click "options". You can change the font & background colors there.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:52 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:45 pm
Isn't there a dark gray/black border around the subtitles? It's there for my computer at least.
Nope. But I think captains solution will do the trick.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:31 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:21 pm
I didn't feel much emotion towards the events (although, maybe Robbe-Grillet wasn't concerned with that) nor did I feel I had much to ponder over.
Yeah, it seems completely aesthetic, no underlying system of thought. I enjoyed the images, but the repetition didn't add anything, the kids playing at fear and death didn't change or grow into anything else. Disappointing.

Jinnistan wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:24 am
Most interestingly, for me, was in guessing how much of this film was inspiring to the more recent Let The Corpses Tan, and I'm not quite convinced that the latter isn't the better film.
Hmm, I didn't think to connect them, but you're right! I also think Corpses is better. It seems built on a more solid foundation of cultural and subconscious iconography. Or just movie iconography, haha. Anyway, it felt more worth my time. I guess for this stuff to work, it needs to dig down into something that's actually a little bit disturbing. Eden's pretty blood and cages never did.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:51 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:31 pm
Hmm, I didn't think to connect them, but you're right! I also think Corpses is better. It seems built on a more solid foundation of cultural and subconscious iconography. Or just movie iconography, haha. Anyway, it felt more worth my time. I guess for this stuff to work, it needs to dig down into something that's actually a little bit disturbing. Eden's pretty blood and cages never did.
The comparison is purely due to some of the shots, blue sky on white stone, kind of things.

The film isn't very thematically developed, the innocence/experience axis is more successfuly evoked in the name than on screen. I'm a sucker for good-looking weirdness, and I really loathe the term 'pretentious', but it is pretty conceptually vapid, even for this genre of drug movie. As to my initial comparison at the top of the thread, it's likely more kin to those Schroeder films (More, La Vallee) than Jodorowsky, a much more substantially weird filmmaker.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:54 pm

I was kinda intrigued by this one at first, but I grew tired of its repetitive nature rather quick. I guess I needed something more disturbing or inspired. This feels very much like a person without imagination trying to make a "fucked up movie". Only knowing Alain Robbe-Gruillet by reputation, it is probably unfair to claim he has no imagination, but that is the impression I got from this. It is quite a dull film if I'm being honest.

I did like the design of the café though, kind of like if the Korova Milk Bar was located in France and its clientèle consisted out of bored, pretentious students instead of juvenile delinquents.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:34 am

now that was some esoteric something I tell you what.

I’m not very familiar with the Robbe-Grillet oeuvre so I had little choice but to just to try and vibe with the images/tone/everything but any sort of recognizable narrative. I’m pretty sure it’s about a bunch of kids who live in a sterile environment, play-acting reality. then Peter Graves-Louis Trintignant offers them a chance to really experience reality leading to the deaths of many of the participants. the main character realizes that this ain’t it chief, even as she also realizes that what she was doing before was empty experience as well. but it is through this that she “finds herself”? you know, ‘cause of the double?

it was an interesting exercise, I think. there's dullness but that could just be how ennui appears on film. unavoidable. I haven’t seen those Schroeder films but I have listened to the Floyd soundtrack so at least I’d be well-primed for whatever they’re dishing out.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:41 pm

also I have been trying in recent days to curtail my time on the computer so I don't get chronic Internet-brain

BUT

I would still be down for more Class Trips and I still have a bunch of stuff on my hard drive for such occasions. my need to spend more time away has nothing to do with you dudes though, don't worry.
Williamequiz

Corrie Class Trip 4 0 #8 Eden And After Leden et apres Sat 9/7

Post by Williamequiz » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:58 am

Sep 14, 2015 5:30 PM
Planning and Zoning Meeting.
Hoover City Hall 100 Municipal Lane, Hoover, Alabama View Map

Sep 21, 2015 6:00 PM Work session on the 17th
Hoover City Council Meeting
Hoover City Hall 100 Municipal Lane, Hoover, Alabama View Map
Lester sidewalks to be brought up for approval
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:21 pm

What kind of community potluck spam is this?
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:46 am

Bump in case anyone wants to host the next thread.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:27 am

I'd be down.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:27 am

Me too.