Pre-Horrorthon 2: Wooley's Edge Of October

Discuss anything you want.
Captain Terror

Re: Pre-Horrorthon 2: Wooley's Edge Of October

Post by Captain Terror » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:32 pm

Adding Phase IV to the watchlist!
Buckaroo is another 80s thing that I completely missed at the time, but it does indeed sound fun.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:41 pm

Well, I'll tell ya, the John Bigbooty/John Bigboutte joke plays, even as hard as they ride it, because it's back and forth between John Lithgow and Christopher Lloyd.
I mean, that joke should have been stupid and set a bad tone for the film, and somehow I laughed every single time.
Dan Hedaya and Vincent Schiavelli were nice additions as well, on top of Jeff Goldblum and Clancy Brown, and I appreciated Carl Lumbly as John Parker.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:32 pm

Buncha World Crime League minions in here.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:36 pm

Sigh... foiled by expectations, once again.
With all the things I read about this film, I had the sense this was some overlooked cult masterpiece (a phrase I'm using far too much lately, considering the actual yield). I've read articles to that effect and heard people talk about it like it's at least something special even if it is 70s Italian genre-fare. And maybe it is in some way but... also, maybe not.

What this movie is, and I'll just say it so nobody else gets utterly caught in the expectations trap, is an Italian ripoff of The Omen and Rosemary's Baby, mashed together with a little bit of like Close Encounters maybe thrown in (there are certainly several Close Encounters moments anyway). It's a demon-child movie, if not my least-favorite horror subgenere, then certainly right there at the top of the list. But in typical Italian fashion, it's also a "just throw everything at the screen and fuck it, keep it in, whether it sticks or not" movie. It is not some grand cosmic/spiritual/surreal odyssey, which I was somehow led to believe it might be, maybe because of shit like this:
The plot is, whoo boy, lemme give this a shot... a wealthy woman has a daughter who appears to have psychic or something powers and she has a very wealthy boyfriend (Lance Henriksen) who wants to marry her and have a child with her. We discover very soon after that the boyfriend is a sort of disciple of some weird Illuminati that believes that the woman's next child will have the ultimate power (compared to whatever the daughter has) they wish to harness and use for whatever, and they charge him with convincing the woman to bring that child into the world. Meanwhile Franco Nero is a Christ-like figure who hangs around with bald children seemingly somewhere in space or another dimension or something, and John Huston is a sort of cosmic spiritual warrior who works for good but wears frumpy old man clothes and he comes to Earth to straighten out the daughter. Ya see, the daughter is Damian on steroids, psychically (or whatever) causing her mother to get in a car-accident and be paralyzed, killing poor Glenn Ford (who I'm sure was on-set for one day and it's really not clear how they got him... or why), and causing whatever other mayhem the Fulci-esque director comes up with in a dream the night before. And so maybe it's implied that the daughter is there to kind of make sure the next demon-child is born but then that kinda gets thrown out the window when she's pretty much constantly trying to kill her mother (which would seemingly stop the birth of the super-demon-child?), something that almost everyone seems to ignore, except Shelley Fucking Winters, who is also in this movie for some reason, as a sort of vaguely knowing babysitter/housekeeper. There's some weird, intermittent back-and-forth between John Huston and Damiana (who, just to make things even stranger, has this incredibly thick Southern accent, despite no one else in the movie, certainly not her mother who she grew up with, has) for a while and lots of birds. And Lance Henriksen disappears for like an hour and shows up at the climax and you're like, "fuck, I forgot he was even in this thing". The whole thing, plot-wise is about as big a mess as you would expect a Fulci, or Argento, or Franco film to be, meaning plot ideas are introduced and then dropped completely or even totally contradicted fifteen minutes later because the contradiction led to a cool scene. Like this "Last Supper" scene...
...which is utter nonsense because Lance Henriksen plays neither a Christ-like figure nor some evil subversion of a Christ-like figure, nor is he about to sacrifice himself, nor are there betrayers at the table or anything, it has nothing to do with The Last Supper or anything biblical really, but the director thought it would look cool.
I actually became so bored with this movie, I turned it off 32 minutes before it was finished and went to bed. And over the next 36 hours I literally forgot about it completely.
But then a funny thing happened.
I got up in the morning two days later and realized I had never finished the movie, I couldn't really write it up because I didn't even know how it ended, hell, I had watched just over 2/3 of it, you can't really do a write-up on that! So I decided to finish it, and now my expectations were totally re-set, so I sat and watched it with a new mindset.
And lo and behold, I ended up kinda liking this movie for what it actually was rather than what I thought it was going to be. It's a low-budget (the movie was somehow made for $800,000 despite a LOT of special effects and famous people slumming), Italian ripoff of recent popular horror classics all mashed together with some sci-fi and maybe religious business(?), with all the usual Italian, genre visual-flair. Given that, it's actually pretty good for such a thing. I mean, as usual, the plot finally makes pretty much no fucking sense, but you expect that from an Italian genre film. It's, in fact, pretty cool as a cosmic/horror mashup of better films through a dreamy lens.
So, ultimately, even though my original expectations were not met at all, I probably have to put this in the higher tiers of 70s/80s Italian genre-filmmaking, below the best Fulci, but not too far down, really.
I guess I'd have to say I liked it.
But I need to work on this expectations thing.
Rock

Post by Rock » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:44 pm

Yeah, I had to drastically revise my expectations over the course of my viewing to be able to enjoy that one. The climax going into dumbassed overdrive also helped quite a bit.

If anything, movies like this prove how much talent making a good nonsense-plot Italian horror takes.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:50 pm

Rock wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:44 pm
Yeah, I had to drastically revise my expectations over the course of my viewing to be able to enjoy that one. The climax going into dumbassed overdrive also helped quite a bit.

If anything, movies like this prove how much talent making a good nonsense-plot Italian horror takes.
Yeah, I think that about sums it up.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:06 pm

Wooley wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:36 pm
And lo and behold, I ended up kinda liking this movie for what it actually was rather than what I thought it was going to be.
That review was quite a rollercoaster of emotions! The first part was stressing me out, so I'm relieved to hear you came around at the end.
I know for a fact that I recommended it, but I also know I never would've given the impression that it was "good". I just thought it was a blast in a WTF sense. ("Was Glenn Ford just killed by a bird??")
I wouldn't be surprised if you became a fan later, now that you know what you're in for.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:17 pm

I was planning on watching The Visitor this week, but now I'm kinda uncertain if it will be my thing.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:02 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:06 pm
That review was quite a rollercoaster of emotions! The first part was stressing me out, so I'm relieved to hear you came around at the end.
I know for a fact that I recommended it, but I also know I never would've given the impression that it was "good". I just thought it was a blast in a WTF sense. ("Was Glenn Ford just killed by a bird??")
I wouldn't be surprised if you became a fan later, now that you know what you're in for.
I'm glad that played, that was kinda what I was going for when I wrote it, to took you on the same emotional journey I took.
No, honestly, by the time the credits rolled and I turned it off I said to myself, "I could totally see myself watching this again, even watching it with friends who've never seen it, now that I know what the expectation should be."
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:03 pm

Slentert wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:17 pm
I was planning on watching The Visitor this week, but now I'm kinda uncertain if it will be my thing.
I dunno, man, if you like 70s Italian "genre-fare", I'd have to say it fits right in there and is actually pretty good for it. If you don't then maybe not.
Just don't have your expectations set at "Amazeballz".
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:00 am

Have to work nights for the last week of the month, which means watching movies on a 15-inch screen instead of a 70-inch one, so I'm gonna need to switch to movies that do not rely as much on visual appeal.
This means things like Walkabout, Wake In Fright, Long Weekend, Picnic At Hanging Rock, Lost Highway, Belladonna Of Sadness, The Neon Demon, Antichrist, The Strange Color Of Your Body's Tears, The Forbidden Room, etc., are gonna have to get replaced by more straightforward narrative fare.
Such is life.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:30 am

Yay, finally some titles which I've seen.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:26 pm

Did I forget to mention there would be Ninja Movies?

Well, it is possible that there are some movies one loved when one was 11 or 12 years old that cannot really be rewardingly revisited when one is closer to 50 than 40.
Here we have a movie for which I had the greatest fondness as a pre-pubescent, a movie of Ninjas and criminals and corrupt police and revenge and all that. What's not to love?
Plot-wise, this is the story of Akira Saito (Sho Kosugi, I guy I was a big fan of during this age), husband and father and aspiring small-business owner, and, secretly, NINJA!
The secret he keeps, even from his family, is that he is (currently at least) the last in a line of Ninjas of his family, including his father and brother. His brother betrayed the family and Akira killed him in battle before realizing it was his own brother, dying in his arms. So he put away the life of the Ninja, became a family man and now, to fulfill his wife's dream, has moved his family to America to start a new life.
But America has other plans for him.
Really, this is sort of an early Chuck Norris movie made with an even lower budget and a Japanese lead. Kosugi is actually quite appealing and the movie is almost always better when he's on-screen. There is also a sadistic mob-enforcer (who oddly proves to be the equal of a Ninja?), a mob-boss, the aforementioned crooked cops, the sympathetic lead detective, a woman in a fridge (although it's probably neither fair nor accurate to yell "woman in a fridge" every time a character is motivated by the death/murder of a loved one in a film), and eventually, child-Ninjas! Fuck yeah! The line continues. And there is also some pseudo-mysticism bullshit surrounding the Ninja whatever blah something, which is always fun.
But, ultimately, to be honest, this is a low-budget movie with a rote script, really puzzling editing, and some really, really terrible action for an action movie. I mean, it's the whole "incapacitate armed enemy with single 'karate-chop' to the neck" kinda stuff a lot of the time. Probably the best combat-sequences feature Kosugi's 10 year-old son. Because child-endangerment is awesome!
But, I got to revisit some nostalgia, see an old hero (Kosugi), and soak up some cheesy 80s Ninja-action. So not all is lost.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:27 pm

Oh and I had to use Bluray.com's screen caps for this one because there was just nothing out there for a movie this obscure.
I have to get special software nowadays to do my own screen-caps again, right? Man, I used to love doing that stuff.
Charles

Post by Charles » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:51 pm

I liked The Visitor. I enjoy it the way I enjoy like a Lynch movie where I can't make out the meaning; like poetry. I stop looking for a point and I just take in every image and idea by itself. Mystery movies like these never have a satisfying explanation anyway, so it's no problem to me when it's just absolute nonsense.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:03 pm

You really should check out Blade of the Immortal for this thread.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:26 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:03 pm
You really should check out Blade of the Immortal for this thread.
I mean, I'd really like to, but there's no way I'm gonna watch a movie like that on a 15" screen and that's all I can really do until October when the genre switches over and the new thread starts.
Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:04 am

Wooley wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:27 pm
Oh and I had to use Bluray.com's screen caps for this one because there was just nothing out there for a movie this obscure.
I have to get special software nowadays to do my own screen-caps again, right? Man, I used to love doing that stuff.
How are you watching these? VLC Player has a pretty easy to use screenshot utility built in. I watch DVDs on my computer and that's what I use.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:00 am

Rock wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:04 am
How are you watching these? VLC Player has a pretty easy to use screenshot utility built in. I watch DVDs on my computer and that's what I use.
What's a DVD?
Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:21 am

Wooley wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:00 am
What's a DVD?
It's a flat videotape you don't have to rewind.
____
Blog!
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:32 am

I'm pretty sure VLC gets screen shots from Blu-Rays as well, and digital formats like mp4, mkv, avi, etc.

It's free, light and relatively spamless.

https://www.videolan.org/index.html
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:35 am

I think, if you have a 'prnt scrn' key, you can also pause the movie on the shot, press 'ctrl' + 'prnt scrn', open Paint (if you still have that) and paste the image there and save it in any format you want.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:48 am

This thread needs some of this...

Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:01 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:35 am
I think, if you have a 'prnt scrn' key, you can also pause the movie on the shot, press 'ctrl' + 'prnt scrn', open Paint (if you still have that) and paste the image there and save it in any format you want.
This is the method I'm using for the cartoon thread.

Also, I'm a total noob when it comes to Ninja movies but I notice Pray For Death was directed by Gordon Hessler (The Oblong Box, The Golden Voyage of Sinbad, KISS Meets the Phantom, et al)
Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:12 am

You people need some Five Elements Ninjas in your lives. It's Chang Cheh when he started ramping up the violence and trash factor, and is as violent Lone Wolf and Cub movie.

It's got these guys:

And these guys:

And these are just two fifths of the ninja elements in this movie, all of whom have different fighting styles.
____
Blog!
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:14 am

Five Elements Ninjas is amazing
Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:20 am

Note: image size may or may not correlate to ninja fighting ability.
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:50 am

It's fun and one of the better Venoms joints. I prefer Crippled Avengers and Masked Avengers though. If only he'd directed Avengers: Endgame...
Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:57 am

Seeing Crippled Avengers on the big screen was one of my favourite theatre experiences. I enjoyed Masked Avengers, but I think the variety of fighting styles in the other movies makes me put it below them.
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:46 am

Rock wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:57 am
Seeing Crippled Avengers on the big screen was one of my favourite theatre experiences. I enjoyed Masked Avengers, but I think the variety of fighting styles in the other movies makes me put it below them.
Masked Avengers appeals to me because I think pole fighting is the best cinematic martial arts fighting. Something about the way it emphasizes depth of field and spatial awareness between fighters gives it an exaggerated sense of movement.

While FEN is fun for it's various styles, I didn't find them all equally entertaining. Some felt too slow and hokey to give the same thrills as the other two, which didn't lack in the campy excellence.

Totes jealous of you seeing those Shaw flicks on the big screen. I've yet to have the pleasure which feels damn shameful.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:58 am

Rock wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:21 am
It's a flat videotape you don't have to rewind.
Fascinating.

No, I'm just kidding, I stream everything. And I used to be able to do screen caps for everything and then certain services blocked it and now all services and youtube block it, but I've read something about software that allows you to do it anyway. I really enjoy making my own.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:59 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:48 am
This thread needs some of this...

For control of the Universe!!! :shock:
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:50 am

Well, I suspect that, realistically, this thread has run its course (Ed Harley).
I had the week working nights and sleeping days which made it hard to watch many movies and now I'm on vacation and it's beautiful out here, so I doubt I'm gonna spend much time in front of a screen.
I'll be back for Horrorthon in October, though it may start a bit late and I'll probably give myself a bonus day on my birthday (All Saints Day) to catch maybe a couple of extra old black and white ones (maybe White Zombie and Creature From The Black Lagoon).
Anyway, it was a good month, but too short, I left some good meat on the bone, but I'll catch up with it next September.
See y'all soon.