Wooley's Half-Ass Horrorthon 2 (Horrorthon 14)

Discuss anything you want.
Death Proof

Re: Wooley's Half-Ass Horrorthon 2 (Horrorthon 14)

Post by Death Proof » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:49 am

You know my feelings toward slasher movies, but for the most part I liked this one. There were a couple of inconsistencies that bothered me but for the most part I was okay with it.

Margot Kidder was awesome. I wish I had a babysitter like that when I was a kid.
Ain't no grave gonna hold this body down
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:44 am

Death Proof wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:49 am
You know my feelings toward slasher movies, but for the most part I liked this one. There were a couple of inconsistencies that bothered me but for the most part I was okay with it.

Margot Kidder was awesome. I wish I had a babysitter like that when I was a kid.
Shit, I forgot to mention that Margot Kidder was awesome, and she was. She gives some real life to the movie. I think it's a shame she had so many problems, I feel like she coulda been something. Of course, she will always be the best Lois Lane and, as far as I've seen, there's not even a contender.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:51 am

Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:08 pm

Wooley wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:51 am
Love that song.

Points of interest:

The quote from the beginning "superstition, fear and jealousy" is Christopher Lee from Horror Hotel

Rob and his passengers do the head bob thing from A Night at the Roxbury in the beginning of the video

The big monster dancing behind rob is the "iron man" from The Phantom Creeps

He's actually driving the Munster family coach. Drag-U-La is a drag racer (made from a casket) that Herman Munster drove in a race. Both were creations of my idol, George Barris. Barris had to bribe a funeral home to leave the casket outside for him as it was illegal to purchase caskets from funeral homes at that time.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:21 pm

Death Proof wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:08 pm
Love that song.

Points of interest:

The quote from the beginning "superstition, fear and jealousy" is Christopher Lee from Horror Hotel

Rob and his passengers do the head bob thing from A Night at the Roxbury in the beginning of the video

The big monster dancing behind rob is the "iron man" from The Phantom Creeps

He's actually driving the Munster family coach. Drag-U-La is a drag racer (made from a casket) that Herman Munster drove in a race. Both were creations of my idol, George Barris. Barris had to bribe a funeral home to leave the casket outside for him as it was illegal to purchase caskets from funeral homes at that time.
Great stuff, man! Thanks for sharing.
I knew that was the Munster Koach, which I guess he used just for the aesthetic, as it's sort of a bigger, even more horror-tricked vehicle.
Here we have the actual Drag-U-La
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:01 pm

Wooley wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:21 pm
Great stuff, man! Thanks for sharing.
I knew that was the Munster Koach, which I guess he used just for the aesthetic, as it's sort of a bigger, even more horror-tricked vehicle.
Here we have the actual Drag-U-La
:up:

I wish I had the resources to build something like that. Just never have the cash.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:07 pm

Ahhh... the antidote to the Black Christmas Blues.

This was just what I needed. Fucking demons.
This is actually, now after my second viewing (first was like 10 years ago), one of my favorite Italian horrors and I'd say it's nudged its way maybe into my Top 50 Horror Movies. So much fun. Just good, silly, totally Halloween-qualifying, demon fun. Weird shit that makes no sense and is never explained but looks cool and sets the mood?
Check!

Trademark Italian-Horror red/blue design/lighting?
Cheesy, yet somehow still awesome makeup effects?
Check again!
Seriously, this has got everything, including gen-u-ine I-talian eye-gougings! No Italian Horror is complete without 'em!
But the story here... wait, news flash! This Italian movie actually kinda sorta has something that resembles a story! Sorta. Or maybe they just kept it so fucking simple that it just couldn't wander off the rails like almost everything Fulci and Argento ever did.
The dude with the face is handing out free passes for an opening-night movie-screening at a theater no one knew existed. The movie is about a group of young people who explore some ancient ruin and find a demon-mask that, with just a drop of blood, starts a demon-apocalypse! Gasp!
Well, guess what's prominently displayed in the lobby of this mysterious theater?
And guess what begins as soon as Rosemary pulls that off her face, nicking her and drawing blood? Demon Apocalypse, motherfuckers!
Seriously, this movie is just a blast, just an absolute silly blast. I mean, does it have some strange non-sequitur scene thrown in just because it seemed like a cool idea at the time so, fuck it, yeah, let's do it? Of course it does, it's Italian Horror. Is it as bizarrely out of place as the table-mounted drill murder in City Of The Living Dead/The Gates Of Hell? Well, honestly, no, not even close, but there's at least one what the fuck moment for sure.
In a way, if you hadn't seen Italian Horror before, you might think this whole movie was what the fuck, but if you have or if you're looking for one zany-ass place to start, or if you just wanna see a guy hack down demons with a samurai sword while riding a motorcycle through a movie theater, I think this could be your movie.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:42 pm

Hard to keep up here, so some random thoughts:

1. Love ya Pops, but hearing you refer to Winona as "the child actor" makes me feel old. ;)
2. Beetlejuice: :up:
3. Demons: :up: (watch The Church next!)
4. I get what you mean about Black Christmas not being a "Halloween" film but don't let that sour you on it. I only own maybe three "slashers" on Blu Ray and that's one of them.
5. Munsters: :up:
6. Loving the thread, as always. "Nothing but sincerity as far as the eye can see."
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:09 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:42 pm
Hard to keep up here, so some random thoughts:

1. Love ya Pops, but hearing you refer to Winona as "the child actor" makes me feel old. ;)
2. Beetlejuice: :up:
3. Demons: :up: (watch The Church next!)
4. I get what you mean about Black Christmas not being a "Halloween" film but don't let that sour you on it. I only own maybe three "slashers" on Blu Ray and that's one of them.
5. Munsters: :up:
6. Loving the thread, as always. "Nothing but sincerity as far as the eye can see."
3. I dig The Church. I don't know if it's gonna fit in this year (got a lot of movies to go) but it's in the queue.
4. Definitely not soured on Black Christmas, just maybe taking it out of the Horrorthon rotation.
6. :D
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:33 pm

To me, Black Christmas is sort of the epitome of a horror movie. And I'll repeat my comment from another thread that it's the only movie that ever actually scared me.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:51 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:33 pm
To me, Black Christmas is sort of the epitome of a horror movie. And I'll repeat my comment from another thread that it's the only movie that ever actually scared me.
I actually thought a lot about how different movies like this are for women than men (to generalize significantly).
I recently had a conversation with some female friends about horror movies and they were almost all saying how home-invasion, that kinda stuff is the scariest to them, whereas to me, those are barely horror movies and, while they can be "scary" in the moment with jump scares and such, they don't leave me with much worry.
Which brought us to the obvious conclusion.
I weigh 200 lbs. I've done boxing and tae-kwon do and still occasionally spar and definitely lift weights. I am just not that scared about somebody being in my house. That is not out of my control. I can potentially not only survive in that kind of situation, but even outright win. And it's very unlikely that anyone is going to try to rape me.
For women, on the other hand, obvious this could be the most frightening, a very, very real horror that many women worry about often. Completely terrifying.
So I tried to lean heavily in my comments on how this is not a Halloween movie. There's nothing that has anything to do with the season in it.
For me it's not so much of a horror movie because it is really just a dude in a house with the police looking for him in the wrong places. But more importantly, like I said, there was something in the vibe to me that felt a little bit more like a classic thriller than like a horror film. It's pretty subtle, but it's there, and I don't mean the content like I've talked about here, I mean just the feel of it has a thriller feel to me a little more than a horror.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:48 pm

Wooley wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:51 pm
I actually thought a lot about how different movies like this are for women than men (to generalize significantly).
I recently had a conversation with some female friends about horror movies and they were almost all saying how home-invasion, that kinda stuff is the scariest to them, whereas to me, those are barely horror movies and, while they can be "scary" in the moment with jump scares and such, they don't leave me with much worry.
I'll just agree with this. The idea of someone being in my house is far scarier to me than any vampire or ghost.
So I tried to lean heavily in my comments on how this is not a Halloween movie. There's nothing that has anything to do with the season in it.
For me it's not so much of a horror movie because it is really just a dude in a house with the police looking for him in the wrong places. But more importantly, like I said, there was something in the vibe to me that felt a little bit more like a classic thriller than like a horror film. It's pretty subtle, but it's there, and I don't mean the content like I've talked about here, I mean just the feel of it has a thriller feel to me a little more than a horror.
Well, I think that there's the obvious fact that the monster/killer/villain is kept off-screen, existing mostly as a voice and a darkness that hovers over the girls.

But I do think that there are some pretty solid horror elements. The kills themselves feel much more horror than thriller. And even things like that initial phone call and the girls' horrified reactions ("Could that be one person?!").

The film uses some traditional thriller plots as
red herrings, like the idea that the killer might be a boyfriend who is angry at his girlfriend for getting an abortion.

But I find that the reality of the killer is much scarier. There's a randomness to him that's really frightening.
This isn't a Halloween movie in the sense that I usually like more "fun" movies in October. Black Christmas has a cruelty to it that takes it out of that fun zone. But on the other hand, if someone wanted a "really scary" movie to watch for Halloween, this would definitely be one of my recommendations.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:18 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:48 pm
I'll just agree with this. The idea of someone being in my house is far scarier to me than any vampire or ghost.

Well, I think that there's the obvious fact that the monster/killer/villain is kept off-screen, existing mostly as a voice and a darkness that hovers over the girls.

But I do think that there are some pretty solid horror elements. The kills themselves feel much more horror than thriller. And even things like that initial phone call and the girls' horrified reactions ("Could that be one person?!").

The film uses some traditional thriller plots as
red herrings, like the idea that the killer might be a boyfriend who is angry at his girlfriend for getting an abortion.

But I find that the reality of the killer is much scarier. There's a randomness to him that's really frightening.
This isn't a Halloween movie in the sense that I usually like more "fun" movies in October. Black Christmas has a cruelty to it that takes it out of that fun zone. But on the other hand, if someone wanted a "really scary" movie to watch for Halloween, this would definitely be one of my recommendations.
I certainly wouldn't disagree with any of this.
Like I said, it was more of a feeling that a movie I've thought of as horror might actually fall slightly on the thriller side of the line. But I would say that line is fine while the region around it that I think is occupied, on both sides, by this movie, is larger and I wouldn't actually argue with anyone that it's definitely a thriller or certainly not that it's definitely not horror. Just a feeling on my part that if I had to categorize it, I would probably put it just over the line the other way.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:26 pm

Wooley wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:18 pm
I certainly wouldn't disagree with any of this.
Like I said, it was more of a feeling that a movie I've thought of as horror might actually fall slightly on the thriller side of the line. But I would say that line is fine while the region around it that I think is occupied, on both sides, by this movie, is larger and I wouldn't actually argue with anyone that it's definitely a thriller or certainly not that it's definitely not horror. Just a feeling on my part that if I had to categorize it, I would probably put it just over the line the other way.
For me, the villain is simply too monstrous to fall into that thriller category.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:58 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:26 pm
For me, the villain is simply too monstrous to fall into that thriller category.
I can see that.
But I also think Silence Of The Lambs is a straight-up thriller that should never be confused with horror and Psycho is a horror-classic, so it's a fine, fine line for me.
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:40 am

Wooley wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:07 pm
Ahhh... the antidote to the Black Christmas Blues.

This was just what I needed. Fucking demons.
This is actually, now after my second viewing (first was like 10 years ago), one of my favorite Italian horrors and I'd say it's nudged its way maybe into my Top 50 Horror Movies. So much fun. Just good, silly, totally Halloween-qualifying, demon fun. Weird shit that makes no sense and is never explained but looks cool and sets the mood?
Check!

Trademark Italian-Horror red/blue design/lighting?
Cheesy, yet somehow still awesome makeup effects?
Check again!
Seriously, this has got everything, including gen-u-ine I-talian eye-gougings! No Italian Horror is complete without 'em!
But the story here... wait, news flash! This Italian movie actually kinda sorta has something that resembles a story! Sorta. Or maybe they just kept it so fucking simple that it just couldn't wander off the rails like almost everything Fulci and Argento ever did.
The dude with the face is handing out free passes for an opening-night movie-screening at a theater no one knew existed. The movie is about a group of young people who explore some ancient ruin and find a demon-mask that, with just a drop of blood, starts a demon-apocalypse! Gasp!
Well, guess what's prominently displayed in the lobby of this mysterious theater?
And guess what begins as soon as Rosemary pulls that off her face, nicking her and drawing blood? Demon Apocalypse, motherfuckers!
Seriously, this movie is just a blast, just an absolute silly blast. I mean, does it have some strange non-sequitur scene thrown in just because it seemed like a cool idea at the time so, fuck it, yeah, let's do it? Of course it does, it's Italian Horror. Is it as bizarrely out of place as the table-mounted drill murder in City Of The Living Dead/The Gates Of Hell? Well, honestly, no, not even close, but there's at least one what the fuck moment for sure.
In a way, if you hadn't seen Italian Horror before, you might think this whole movie was what the fuck, but if you have or if you're looking for one zany-ass place to start, or if you just wanna see a guy hack down demons with a samurai sword while riding a motorcycle through a movie theater, I think this could be your movie.
You're alright, Wooley.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:00 am

My only bone of contention is that you said that Fulci and Argento didn’t have quality plots. Most of Fulci's pre-80's and Argento's pre-90's stuff have stronger narratives than many Italian productions. Also, Argento WROTE and produced Demons! It has more of his trademark's than Lamberto Bava too.

Other than that, yeah. Demons is wonderful, bananas fun.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:02 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:00 am
My only bone of contention is that you said that Fulci and Argento didn’t have quality plots. Most of Fulci's pre-80's and Argento's pre-90's stuff have stronger narratives than many Italian productions. Also, Argento WROTE and produced Demons! It has more of his trademark's than Lamberto Bava too.

Other than that, yeah. Demons is wonderful, bananas fun.
Well, having seen Fulci's GoH Trilogy a few times I don't hesitate to say that those movies' plots are... loose, to be kind.
Argento's Inferno is pretty damn far from having a plot, although it's very nice to look at, and at least a couple other of his films are more hung gently over the idea of a plot.
And like I said, even this one may have only really had a plot because they decided to keep the whole thing inside the theater and then just have one thing after another go down, including helicopter.
You know what I mean.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:13 am

Wooley wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:02 am
Well, having seen Fulci's GoH Trilogy a few times I don't hesitate to say that those movies' plots are... loose, to be kind.
Argento's Inferno is pretty damn far from having a plot, although it's very nice to look at, and at least a couple other of his films are more hung gently over the idea of a plot.
And like I said, even this one may have only really had a plot because they decided to keep the whole thing inside the theater and then just have one thing after another go down, including helicopter.
You know what I mean.
The Gates of Hell trilogy is where Fulci's relationship with narrative becomes informal to say the least. But his earlier career, with giallo like Lizard in a Woman's Skin or Don't Torture a Duckling or his westerns like the Brute and the Bastard or my favorite Four of the Apocalypse, he has some very strong, especially for Italian cult cinema, narratives. Similarly, Argento co-wrote Once Upon a Time in the West and has a string of absurd but well plotted giallo (Bird with the Crystal Plumage, Cat O'Nine Tails, Four Flies on Grey Velvet, and Deep Red) before he began tinkering with dream logic in Suspiria.

I think Italian directors often get pigeonholed into their most popular films and their breadth of work gets forgotten. Even seems to happen to Italian American filmmakers where I keep seeing people act like Scorsese only directs gangster films and DePalma only ever did erotic thrillers.

Not trying to really argue or nothing. Just love these filmmakers and think they deserve more credit. They proved they understood the fundamentals of storytelling in their early career and the later films are them experimenting with conventional narratives yet they don't get the same benefit of the doubt French New Wave filmmakers get. Long live the eye gougers!
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:18 am

Aside from Lizard in a Woman's Skin and Don't Torture a Duckling, has anyone seen any of Fulci's other "earlier" (pre-late-'70s) films? I think only a handful have easily available releases in North America, but I'd be interested to dig further. I was really surprised to learn how varied and prolific his filmography was, given we only really talk about his work in one genre (and even then, mostly over one decade in his career).
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:42 am

Rock wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:18 am
Aside from Lizard in a Woman's Skin and Don't Torture a Duckling, has anyone seen any of Fulci's other "earlier" (pre-late-'70s) films? I think only a handful have easily available releases in North America, but I'd be interested to dig further. I was really surprised to learn how varied and prolific his filmography was, given we only really talk about his work in one genre (and even then, mostly over one decade in his career).
I've seen Massacre Time ('66), which is a decent Western; One On Top of the Other ('69), which I remember nothing about now; and Conspiracy of Torture aka Beatrice Cenci ('69) which is my favorite of the three. Not a horror film, but deals with dungeons and torture and yes- eye stabbings.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:56 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:13 am
The Gates of Hell trilogy is where Fulci's relationship with narrative becomes informal to say the least. But his earlier career, with giallo like Lizard in a Woman's Skin or Don't Torture a Duckling or his westerns like the Brute and the Bastard or my favorite Four of the Apocalypse, he has some very strong, especially for Italian cult cinema, narratives. Similarly, Argento co-wrote Once Upon a Time in the West and has a string of absurd but well plotted giallo (Bird with the Crystal Plumage, Cat O'Nine Tails, Four Flies on Grey Velvet, and Deep Red) before he began tinkering with dream logic in Suspiria.

I think Italian directors often get pigeonholed into their most popular films and their breadth of work gets forgotten. Even seems to happen to Italian American filmmakers where I keep seeing people act like Scorsese only directs gangster films and DePalma only ever did erotic thrillers.

Not trying to really argue or nothing. Just love these filmmakers and think they deserve more credit. They proved they understood the fundamentals of storytelling in their early career and the later films are them experimenting with conventional narratives yet they don't get the same benefit of the doubt French New Wave filmmakers get. Long live the eye gougers!
I hear ya (though I'm not sure I agree about Scorsese and DePalma, those guys have made a lot of diverse films and Scorsese for sure gets plenty of credit for that), but I was specifically talking about Italian Horror of a certain age, so I'm really talking about Fulci and Argento's horror run. And I was generalizing. I could generalize about the French New Wave too, but that's not what my thread's about.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:07 pm

The more I watch this, the more it becomes my favorite horror movie.
What do I love about it so much? Well, it's Carpenter in his prime, with maybe his most complete story, It has Adrienne Barbeau (sigh), Jamie Lee Curtis (yeah, another sigh), Hal Holbrook, Janet Leigh, John Houseman (!), and Tom Fucking Atkins (no mustache), and it's about a fucking curse that results in leper-pirate-ghosts! Ya fuckin' right I love this movie.

The ghost story, which is awesomely old-fashioned, is that the town of Antonio Bay is celebrating its 100th Anniversary, honoring the six forefathers of the small, coastal town... but should it? 100 years ago the founders agreed to allow a leper-colony, led by a wealthy, afflicted man named Blake, to be founded just a mile away in exchange for a large sum of gold. But when the poor devils sailed their clipper ship, the Elizabeth Dane, toward the Bay in a dense fog, the founders lit a false-fire leading their new business-partners directly into the rocks where crashing the Dane and drowning them all. The forefathers kept the gold to fund the town's growth, but it went missing and they all suspected each other of theft. 100 years later, the still-modest town prepares their celebration of their grandfathers who murdered those people and stole their gold. But The Fog rolls back into Antonio Bay on that 100th Anniversary, brining Blake and his colleagues with it.
As you can see, Carpenter uses The Fog to great effect, keeping his ghosts well hidden in it so that shadows and silhouettes of men with sharp nautical tools and swords is all their victims will see before they are cut down.
Really, Carpenter does a lot of his best work here. He uses wide vistas with the subject very small amidst the loneliness of their surroundings to evoke a kind of isolation and dread.
And of course, he employs plenty of Bava (or Hammer?)-inspired lighting, which takes on extra menace as it plays through The Fog.
And what I can't show you is yet another great Carpenter soundtrack. While he uses pianos and synthesizers to generate the dread, he playfully intersperses it with the lightest of musical fare always emanating from the ever-present radios throughout the film. This not only creates an odd and somewhat incongruous counterbalance to his menacing score, but also allows one of his main characters, Stevie Wayne, the transplant who bought the old lighthouse and turned it into a radio station, to be ever-present in the film, as, when she is not on-screen, her voice is always with the characters who are.

Ultimately, what makes this movie so good, though is just the story itself. Debra Hill and Carpenter weave a tight little yarn here that, while original, evokes ghost stories of the past. There are lots of little touches throughout and a number of good, quality scares that Carpenter interjects, especially as the ghosts use The Fog as extensions of themselves. Anywhere The Fog goes, the ghosts too can go and act and kill. And Carpenter keeps up his end by giving doses of terror while maintaining a sense of dread throughout, right up until we meet the terrifying Blake and his men.
Yeah, honestly, the more I watch it, the more I love it. For many years it was background favorite for me but now I think it's moved into my Top 5 horror films and right now it may just be my favorite.
Thief

Post by Thief » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:58 pm

Wooley wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:07 pm
Yeah, honestly, the more I watch it, the more I love it. For many years it was background favorite for me but now I think it's moved into my Top 5 horror films and right now it may just be my favorite.
I've been meaning to watch/rewatch that film. I know I saw it (or most of it) back when I was a kid, what with my older brother watching every horror film in the video rental store, but I think all I remember is this image and Jamie Lee Curtis going up a lighthouse?
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:13 pm

Thief wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:58 pm
I've been meaning to watch/rewatch that film. I know I saw it (or most of it) back when I was a kid, what with my older brother watching every horror film in the video rental store, but I think all I remember is this image and Jamie Lee Curtis going up a lighthouse?
Something like that. I'll let you watch it and find out.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:16 pm

I haven't seen The Fog often enough to call it Top 5, but it's probably my current favorite example of the EC Comics-style vengeful zombie subgenre.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:22 pm

Wooley wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:07 pm
Oh hell yeah - I'm all about the fog. There's just enough humor to make it fun, but there's some good scares, too, like in Dr. Phibes (heh) autopsy room when the body gets up and walks around.

Of course, there are two other good reasons to love the movie:

Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:09 pm

Death Proof wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:22 pm
Oh hell yeah - I'm all about the fog. There's just enough humor to make it fun, but there's some good scares, too, like in Dr. Phibes (heh) autopsy room when the body gets up and walks around.

Of course, there are two other good reasons to love the movie:

Yup.
My first edge-of-puberty crush. The woman who made me say, "What is this feeling? And what's happening in my pants?"
I realize some of that is an accident of timing, but still. Rowr.

I also like the autopsy scene.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:17 am

John Carpenter is my hero.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:09 am

Death Proof wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:17 am
John Carpenter is my hero.
You could do worse.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:44 am

Well, this was a pleasantly diverting little horror-comedy.
I don't want to say too much as I feel that my lack of any awareness of the film or what it might be about probably bolstered my enjoyment of the proceedings, which were quite fun.
This is the story of a 12 year-old boy and his babysitter.
The boy is bullied because he is... well, we used to say "a nerd". He's smart, wears glasses, he's really into science fiction, very phobic, and very conflict-averse. His parents are good people who are just hoping he'll grow out of the tougher aspects that come with who he is, but there's not that much they can do to help him. There's just one person who seems to really have his back in this world and that is his practically-perfect-in-every-way babysitter. With whom he is really in love. Of course.
But who wouldn't be when your babysitter is Samara Weaving, seems to have everything in common with you, and is always willing to...
I mean, how many 12 year-old boys get to have times like this:
However, one has to wonder, is she really this wonderful, is he really this lucky, or is it possible that, like most things that seem too good to be true, she is.
I don't want to say too much more, as, again, I feel like the less known the better.
But I will say that I thought the film had pretty good style and a nice rhythm to it, which it was able to maintain throughout, and a solid enough script, which is to say, it didn't falter that much in between its highs. In this way, I thought this film was significantly superior to the other recent Samara Weaving vehicle, Ready Or Not, which, in between it's better moments, dipped into some pretty low lows due to multiple failures of script and casting and overconfidence. This movie generally maintains a strong baseline and lays its highs on top of that, only feeling unsteady a bit here in there (particularly in Bella Thorne's ridiculous character).
But, speaking of Samara Weaving... WOW!
And I am not just talking about how fucking hot as balls she is, which she is.
That woman has screen-magnetism to just give away. While whatshisname, the kid, Judah Something, does a fine job, and the jock guy is actually really good and funny in a role that might have been utterly stupid, Weaving ultimately carries this whole thing as she just bristles with electricity. The movie is worth watching for her performance or just her presence alone. Whatever her uncle had, she has it in spades. I look forward to a long and exciting career from this one.

A fun romp this one, I recommend it for a lighter night in one's Horrorthon.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:15 am

Rock wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:18 am
Danger Diabolik!
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:18 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:42 am
I've seen Massacre Time ('66), which is a decent Western; One On Top of the Other ('69), which I remember nothing about now; and Conspiracy of Torture aka Beatrice Cenci ('69) which is my favorite of the three. Not a horror film, but deals with dungeons and torture and yes- eye stabbings.
I read Beatrice Cenci was one of Fulci's own favourites. Looks like it got a region B Blu-ray release this month. Hoping that means there will be a Region A or Free one soon.

I see the video store I go to carries Massacre Time and One On Top of the Other (although it's under the title Perversion Story, which somehow is not the skeeviest-sounding thing I'll have rented from there), so will give those a shot at some point. I probably should finally watch my copy of Four of the Apocalypse too.
____
Blog!
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:19 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:15 am
Danger Diabolik!
That's Mario Bava, although I've been meaning to see that forever (but laziness has prevailed).
____
Blog!
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:20 am

Rock wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:19 am
That's Mario Bava, although I've been meaning to see that forever (but laziness has prevailed).
For some reason I thought you were talking about Bava

Derp

I don't think I"ve seen any of Fulci's films before Lizard.
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:28 am

I was gonna be all like "I like but am not in love with The Fog", but instead I come bearing on-set photos.

____
Blog!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:03 am

Rock wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:28 am
I was gonna be all like "I like but am not in love with The Fog", but instead I come bearing on-set photos.

Dude, nice drop.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:01 pm

Rock wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:28 am

My exact reaction every time I see Adrienne Barbeau.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:16 pm

Death Proof wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:01 pm
:lol:
That genuinely made me laugh out loud here in my apartment.
Charles

Post by Charles » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:20 pm

I really liked The Babysitter, but my god, the gore. I have a bit of a hard time with dark comedies that have that amount of violence in them. Not a fan of Killer Klowns because of that. Certainly would recommend though, The good outweighs the bad by a good margin.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:01 pm

Charles wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:20 pm
I really liked The Babysitter, but my god, the gore. I have a bit of a hard time with dark comedies that have that amount of violence in them. Not a fan of Killer Klowns because of that. Certainly would recommend though, The good outweighs the bad by a good margin.
I prefer my dark comedies to go gory and dark. It was one element holding Happy Death Day back.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:22 pm

I thought your controversial opinion about Black Christmas was that you didn't like it...and we'd have to talk.

I do find that the horror/thriller line blurs at times...Although I found Black Christmas to be on the horror side of the fence, won't begrudge someone for thinking it was more a thriller. Will agree with you on Silence.

I might have to give The Babysitter a go. That sounded like a solid recommendation right there. I was kinda meh on it because McG directed it and wasn't sold on his ability to do horror.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:12 am

Charles wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:20 pm
I think my only main issue with the gore was like that first one where it was really gruesome and would kill anyone instantly and I think the second, which would result in a gurgling death within a minute. Everybody's got there "well, that's actually what I do and that's nothing like what it's like", like all those jazz musicians who bashed Whiplash, many of them having only seen the trailer, but I'm a doc and grossly unrealistic reactions to injuries always kinda bother me. Less so in older movies than in newer ones.
I mean,
if you get two 9-inch blades jammed into your brain, you will collapse to floor dead within basically a second. Not make faces and cry and I think he even says something and he's basically alive for like a minute after that. That's less realistic than summoning demons. Ditto for the gunshot directly to the fucking heart which the cheerleader sort of shrugs off as just ruining her perfect boobs. I really kinda had some trouble with the whole person who's been shot in the worst place other than the brain part of the head you can possibly be shot and she just complains the rest of the movie and even mounts a pretty serious comeback attack like an hour later.
That did not play for me.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:13 am

Apex Predator wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:22 pm
I thought your controversial opinion about Black Christmas was that you didn't like it...and we'd have to talk.

I do find that the horror/thriller line blurs at times...Although I found Black Christmas to be on the horror side of the fence, won't begrudge someone for thinking it was more a thriller. Will agree with you on Silence.

I might have to give The Babysitter a go. That sounded like a solid recommendation right there. I was kinda meh on it because McG directed it and wasn't sold on his ability to do horror.
Oh no, there's no not-liking Black Christmas, it's too legit to even question. Saying one didn't like it was just be contrarian and not a real discussion.

And I think McG is suited to this kind of style-based no-rules medium.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:06 am

Wooley wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:13 am
Oh no, there's no not-liking Black Christmas, it's too legit to even question. Saying one didn't like it was just be contrarian and not a real discussion.

And I think McG is suited to this kind of style-based no-rules medium.
I hate slasher movies and I even I like Black Christmas.
Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:01 am

Death Proof wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:01 pm
:fresh: :fresh:
____
Blog!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:57 am

Alright, shiny new dollar for the first person who names the next one. Takoma...
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:22 pm

No takers, eh?
Alright, fine.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:23 pm

Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:36 pm

Wooley wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:57 am
Alright, shiny new dollar for the first person who names the next one. Takoma...