Wooley's Half-Ass Horrorthon 2 (Horrorthon 14)

Discuss anything you want.
Popcorn Reviews

Re: Wooley's Half-Ass Horrorthon 2 (Horrorthon 14)

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:01 am

Wooley wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:31 am
I would like to include, here, Roger Ebert's "write-up" of Nosferatu for his Great Films series.
This is not to offer Roger Ebert's opinion as some kind of "evidence" that the film is better than just Schreck's vampire, but rather that he points out a number of the strengths of the film that are worth considering, including why it is a better vampire film than all the others, including Browning's Dracula (which I actually really like).
I don't actually even agree with him on several points, but I think it maybe points out some of the things that I do think are great about it.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/grea ... eratu-1922
Ebert's article was a good read. He offered some good points on it. When I inevitably rewatch this film again, I'll keep it in mind.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:43 pm

Wooley, have you seen Herzog's Nosferatu? Roland Topor is part of my Holy Trinity of Renfields w/Frey and Granach.
(Is it weird that I have a Holy Trinity of Renfields? That's a normal thing, right?)
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:01 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:43 pm
Wooley, have you seen Herzog's Nosferatu? Roland Topor is part of my Holy Trinity of Renfields w/Frey and Granach.
(Is it weird that I have a Holy Trinity of Renfields? That's a normal thing, right?)
I have and I really liked it.
And hey, don't we all?
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:56 pm

Wooley wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:27 am
But I don't think there's any saving Coppola's Dracula.
The film looks incredible, if you're into that sort of thing. And while the acting may be melodramatic (kinda like Dracula), it's not quite as shrill as, say, Anne Rice on her best days.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:16 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:56 pm
The film looks incredible, if you're into that sort of thing. And while the acting may be melodramatic (kinda like Dracula), it's not quite as shrill as, say, Anne Rice on her best days.
What does Anne Rice have to do with the acting in Coppola's turgid melodrama?
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:18 pm

Wooley wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:16 pm
What does Anne Rice have to do with the acting in Coppola's turgid melodrama?
Somebody mentioned something about her.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:23 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:19 pm
Well, of course I actually do (it's Blood for Dracula)
For a second, I thought you were talking about Blood of Dracula. I couldn't tell if you were joking. Look at this sub-Udo allure.

Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:03 pm

Wooley wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:22 am
No, no, that's not what I mean about Pretty Boy.
What I mean is just that it didn't feel in congruity with the tone the film and its predecessor was setting. It's not a tropey slasher or something it has a much more real-world morality. So I just felt
that his death, in the context of the film itself, is portrayed not as justice, it's murder, and that's obviously what the filmmakers intended because it is the action that identifies Ghost to Brigitte as the real villain of the story. From that moment on they are adversaries because she sees it as a betrayal and an injustice because, while she may (rightly) loathe him and the audience would like to see some justice on him, they were actually working together until Ghost's faked-rape pushes Brigitte over the edge and causes her to put a noose around him and kick the chair out, so to speak, and she knows, after Ghosts admission, that she murdered him.
None of that has anything to do with how I, or you, or the audience in general feels about the character, it's about the morality that exists within the films and the fact that Ghost tricked her into betraying her own morality.
That's what I'm on about.

And yes, I know Martin is your favorite Horror movie. I pay attention around here.
I gotcha. And I agree.

The degree to which
Ghost is able to manipulate events and people is pretty amazing.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:16 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:03 pm
I gotcha. And I agree.

The degree to which
Ghost is able to manipulate events and people is pretty amazing.
That's why
she's a Super-villain. ;)
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:38 pm

Yes, another classic I had never seen, and very much for the same reasons. And while I did not find this one to be on the level of Nosferatu as a Great Film, it's certainly a good film probably a groundbreaking one, and it does sort of manage to be a real horror movie for much of its time.
I say that because early in the film, The Phantom really just seems to be some guy who's skulking around the theater, is really passionate about his opera, and is too smart to get caught so this myth builds up around him. And then kind of a bunch of melodrama ensues and you're wondering if this is gonna be kinda more like the big hit musical with a bunch of love and shit in it. I mean, even when you meet The Phantom, the mask-situation he has going hardly strikes terror into your heart. It takes a little while before you get to this:
...but once you do, you think we're rolling. But that's when it takes this turn where you think it's gonna be a melodrama about whether this deformed man can win the heart of the talented and beautiful woman. Which is not something I care about.
However, 2 things turn out to be true: one is that the morality of this show is not as simple as you might think and the other is that it actually turns into either a horror movie or one of those things where Snidely Whiplash ties Nell to the railroad track. I mean, it gets pretty close to that. The morality is complicated because our heroine is no damsel, she is ambitious to a fault and is basically willing to sell her soul to the Devil to become the Prima Donna of the opera. It is she, not The Phantom, who is playing Faust in this story. Until she chickens out of course, which sets the actual horror in motion, beginning here:
This sequence in the middle of the film is really the horror-movie part and is actually really enjoyable. I was left to wonder why more films did not use this color technique (it's certainly effective in Dr. X). The Phantom here plays the Plague in The Masque Of The Red Death for the Bal Masque at The Paris Opera. And then becomes an outright horror-villain. But then, like I said, he gets into a lot of Snidely Whiplash stuff in the 3rd act which is kinda horror and kinda action/adventure.

As Cap warned me, this film has nowhere near the cinematic mastery that Murnau and Grau show in Nosferatu. But I'll give Chaney a push with Max Schreck, it's a helluva horror character. I have the feeling he shocked the hell out of some people in 1925. My mother, who wasn't born until the 40s, still remembered The Phantom as the scariest horror villain.
All in all, not a Great Film, IMO, but a legendary one that I enjoyed and would watch again.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:35 pm

Having seen Phantom countless times, theres's things I still don't get, like the "turn the locust and they will drown, or turn the scorpion and this other thing will happen..." Like, what is that device and why is it there?
But this is all about Chaney and the makeup so I just roll with that stuff. I agree that this must have been traumatizing for certain folks back in 25. Honestly, as a makeup job it still holds up today in my opinion. If there's a criticism it's that it's not always consistent from scene to scene, but come on. He's doing this on himself, from scratch.
Imagine if Rick Baker was also a Tom Cruise-level box office star, and that's pretty much what Chaney was in his time. Fascinating guy.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:30 am

Wooley wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:38 pm

Never heard of it.
Ain't no grave gonna hold this body down
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:33 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:35 pm
Having seen Phantom countless times, theres's things I still don't get, like the "turn the locust and they will drown, or turn the scorpion and this other thing will happen..." Like, what is that device and why is it there?
But this is all about Chaney and the makeup so I just roll with that stuff. I agree that this must have been traumatizing for certain folks back in 25. Honestly, as a makeup job it still holds up today in my opinion. If there's a criticism it's that it's not always consistent from scene to scene, but come on. He's doing this on himself, from scratch.
Imagine if Rick Baker was also a Tom Cruise-level box office star, and that's pretty much what Chaney was in his time. Fascinating guy.
Totally agree.
I know what you mean about the inconsistencies, but holy shit what he did with makeup, and his performance too, and he actually directed a lot of his own scenes in this film.
Yeah the scorpion and the grasshopper was part of the Snidely Whiplash portion of the film. I mean, what the fuck, but it was also just like, "Ha! I'm the clever villain and you will come to appreciate me and the foolish heroes are no match, ha ha!
But it's fine, I thought it was really cool overall, especially the entire color segment, with him on the roof and that red cape billowing in the wind.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:34 am

Death Proof wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:30 am
Never heard of it.
Hahahaha!
Yeah, your sig is from A Nightmare On Elm Street, right?
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:35 am

Wooley wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:34 am
Hahahaha!
Yeah, your sig is from A Nightmare On Elm Street, right?
No, from Phantoms. With Ben Affleck.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:46 am

Um, the film's title is Phantasm and it stars Bruce Willis.

Duh.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:49 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:46 am
Um, the film's title is Phantasm and it stars Bruce Willis.

Duh.
That was The Phantom starring William Zabka.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:23 am

Death Proof wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:49 am
That was The Phantom starring William Zabka.
Okay, I see what happened here.

You're thinking of The Phonetom, starring Sherilyn Fenn's third cousin's old Nokia flip phone.

I mean, I get those confused all the time.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:15 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:23 am
Okay, I see what happened here.

You're thinking of The Phonetom, starring Sherilyn Fenn's third cousin's old Nokia flip phone.

I mean, I get those confused all the time.
You've been drinking again.

It's The Phantom Creeps with the clown doll from Poltergeist. Then we throw the Dixie cup out.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:38 am

Oh yeah, I'm poppin' some popcorn, motherfuckers, cuz Ize intoxicated, can't hardly waited, feelin' gold-plated, and I'm fixin' to feel elated, for some Frankenstein... after 3 bottles of wine... and subsequently I will opine... Ok, I'll stop now.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:41 am

Nosferatu- Great. Have yet to see it with a satisfactory score and I've seen it with a live performance.

Herzog's Nosferatu- Great. Kinski gives the character some wonderful vulnerability.

Coppola's Dracula- a formal and visual feast that overcomes any narrative and acting issues through sheer virtuosity

Horror of Dracula- the best classic version of the story and one of the best uses of false protagonist pre-Psycho

Browning's Dracula- a dreadful bore made better with a recent score by the Kronos quartet. Lugosi is great but wasted. The sequels are better.

Martin- exceptional. Romero's best film.

Let the Right One In- the best vampire film.
Stu

Post by Stu » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:29 am

Wooley wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:38 pm
Fun fact: apparently Tim Burton's a fan of this film as well, seeing as how he snuck someone wearing the same basic Red Death costume in when Selina arrives at the masquerede ball in Batman Returns:

Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:57 pm

Stu wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:29 am
Fun fact: apparently Tim Burton's a fan of this film as well, seeing as how he snuck someone wearing the same basic Red Death costume in when Selina arrives at the masquerede ball in Batman Returns:

Wow. Nice.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:48 pm

I just bought Batman Returns on blu-ray, so I'm excited to finally see that one.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:13 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:41 am

Oh yeah, I forgot about this one. This could come close to Martin for me

And I'm no big fan of it or anything, but I don't quite get the Coppola Dracula hate. Is ripe melodrama really out of place here? Sure it can be goofy and all, but I'm okay with that as a part of my vampire films. What We Do In Shadows would be up near the top of this type of film for me after all.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:38 pm

Slentert wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:48 pm
I just bought Batman Returns on blu-ray, so I'm excited to finally see that one.

Meow.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:08 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:41 am
Nosferatu- Great. Have yet to see it with a satisfactory score and I've seen it with a live performance.

Herzog's Nosferatu- Great. Kinski gives the character some wonderful vulnerability.

Coppola's Dracula- a formal and visual feast that overcomes any narrative and acting issues through sheer virtuosity

Horror of Dracula- the best classic version of the story and one of the best uses of false protagonist pre-Psycho

Browning's Dracula- a dreadful bore made better with a recent score by the Kronos quartet. Lugosi is great but wasted. The sequels are better.

Martin- exceptional. Romero's best film.

Are these all the vampire films on your list?
For me, in addition to the ones you've mentioned (minus Coppola's bloated melodrama), the list would also have to include:

Fright Night
The Hunger/Only Lovers Left Alive
(to me, two takes on the same film)
Vampyr
Valerie And Her Week Of Wonders
Vampire Circus
Cronos
What We Do In The Shadows

The next tier could maybe include Return Of The Vampire, Mark Of The Vampire, Black Sabbath, The Fearless Vampire Killers, Lemora, and Dracula Has Risen From The Grave. And then there's a handful of others in a group I liked but are hardly essential like Twins Of Evil, Byzantium, The Vampire Bat, Vampyres, Thirst, Daughters Of Darkness, La Vampire Nue.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:09 pm

Death Proof wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:38 pm
Meow.
:up: :D
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:27 pm

ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:14 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:08 pm
Are these all the vampire films on your list?
For me, in addition to the ones you've mentioned (minus Coppola's bloated melodrama), the list would also have to include:

Fright Night
The Hunger/Only Lovers Left Alive
(to me, two takes on the same film)
Vampyr
Valerie And Her Week Of Wonders
Vampire Circus
Cronos
What We Do In The Shadows

The next tier could maybe include Return Of The Vampire, Mark Of The Vampire, Black Sabbath, The Fearless Vampire Killers, Lemora, and Dracula Has Risen From The Grave. And then there's a handful of others in a group I liked but are hardly essential like Twins Of Evil, Byzantium, The Vampire Bat, Vampyres, Thirst, Daughters Of Darkness, La Vampire Nue.
Oh no. My list would be substantially longer. I was just trying to address the multitude of vampire flicks being brought up. I think two of my favorites that haven't been mentioned are Thirst and Blade 2. Dunno what an actual list would fall out as only that LTROI would be at the top because it's perfect. CGI Cats and all.

Oh, and Near Dark.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:00 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:14 pm
Oh no. My list would be substantially longer. I was just trying to address the multitude of vampire flicks being brought up. I think two of my favorites that haven't been mentioned are Thirst and Blade 2. Dunno what an actual list would fall out as only that LTROI would be at the top because it's perfect. CGI Cats and all.

Oh, and Near Dark.
Thirst (the Australian one) is on my list.

Near Dark is not.
Charles

Post by Charles » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:05 am

Near Dark is really good. There's a particular scene in a diner that's some of Bigelow's best work, I reckon. She has a way with violence.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:21 am

Wooley wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:00 am
Thirst (the Australian one) is on my list.

Near Dark is not.
I speak of the South Korean Thirst.

What you got against Near Dark?
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:46 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:21 am
I speak of the South Korean Thirst.

What you got against Near Dark?
The script. Nothing to do with Bigelow, I thought she did a nice enough job on the budget with the script she had (for example, you can cure vampirism with a blood transfusion... which this farmer can apparently perform in his shed?)
And that I tried it on some friends, even though I had personal reservations, and their reaction was, "Why would you think we would like this?"
I know it's very popular, I just don't know why. The diner scene does not count as a whole movie.
Stu

Post by Stu » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:02 am

Death Proof wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:38 pm
Meow.

8-)
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:07 am

Over the last few years, this has really become one of my favorite genre movies.
My love of Horror, camp, and musicals really gets combined here pretty nicely, but it's not just that because there is actual quality of craft here. More on that later.

This is the story of a boy and his plant. The boy is a hard-luck ex-orphan who sweeps up and does the menial work at a flower shop on Skid Row. The plant is a mean, green mother from Outer Space.
And he's bad. And he drinks blood. Human blood.

But this is also a love story between the young Seymour and Audrey, his co-worker with a self-esteem problem. She's involved with a "semi-sadist" dentist because she doesn't believe she deserves any better in life. Seymour dreams of her but can't imagine he'd ever be good enough for her. I mean, how could he live up to this:
Ultimately, Seymour must walk a dark path to gain the love of Audrey and the life he dreams of for them. As the body-count increases, and our 60s Girl-Group Greek Chorus, warns us of impending doom...
...Audrey II (the mean, green mother) gets a little out of hand and has ambitions and bloodlust far beyond Skid Row.
So what works about this strange little movie that makes it so appealing to me. Well, first of all, it's the tone. Frank Oz (yes, THE Frank Oz) finds this amazing sweet-spot in the camp that plays because the movie delivers such high quality in every area. The script is from the highly-successful off-Broadway musical, the songs were strong enough to sustain the off-Broadway run, the design is fantastic, the casting is (mostly) on the nose, and the performances are really, really strong. From the Chorus girls to Vincent Gardenia (Moonstruck and many more) as Mr. Mushnik, pretty much everyone delivers. If there is one sort of clanging note in the film, it's Steve Martin, whose always-overdo-it brand of comedy at the time somewhat betrays the earnestness of the rest of the film and feels a bit out of place (this would not be the only time this would be true of Martin, though he also has many good performances).
But that's small potatoes, Ellen Greene alone can carry this film. She is so largely great and simultaneously subtly great she just amazes and she sets the tone for everyone else in the film. Her great gift is to be able to deliver the camp and the earnest emotion, in some cases desperate emotion that almost breaks your heart, in both big and subtle ways. Sometimes its just a look or a squeak she makes, others its the way her voice is simultaneously booming and cracking with emotion in the show-stopping "Suddenly Seymour" number, in which Greene and to some surprise Moranis, really deliver the goods.
And then there's the Audrey II. The goddamn puppet-work is just unbelievable. I mean, it's Frank Oz, it should be great, but it's really on a level I couldn't understand. How did they do it? And Levi Stubbs, as the voice of Audrey II (both acting and singing) is just for the ages. He defines the character and gives life to what is ultimately a really good plant-puppet.
In the end, there's just so much that this movie does right, largely I think due to Oz's great attention to detail in every area of filmmaking here.
Really, this is a camp-horror-comedy-musical with real heart that somehow nails all four phases of its ambitions and delivers a show that should leave you smiling.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:53 am

I hate Little Shop of Horrors. That is all.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:09 pm

I was a fan of the original LSoH as a kid* and an 80s musical version is not something I ever wanted. But I like everyone involved, so maybe it's time for me to stop being such a hipster about it and just watch it already.

*I have fond memories of my dad and I sitting at the dinner table and yelling "FEED MEEEE" to my mom.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:46 pm

I have never seen Little Shop of Horrors but now I'm dying to see it thanks to your review.

I also wanted to say how much I love this thread and I'm kinda sad October is almost finished which would mean the end of it. I hope you will keep on reviewing movies sporadically throughout the rest of the year in your regular thread.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:33 pm

Slentert wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:46 pm
I have never seen Little Shop of Horrors but now I'm dying to see it thanks to your review.

I also wanted to say how much I love this thread and I'm kinda sad October is almost finished which would mean the end of it. I hope you will keep on reviewing movies sporadically throughout the rest of the year in your regular thread.
Thanks man, I really appreciate that. Makes it worth the work.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:33 pm

Death Proof wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:53 am
I hate Little Shop of Horrors. That is all.
I hated it when I first saw it. Now I love it. Go figure.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:42 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:33 pm
I hated it when I first saw it. Now I love it. Go figure.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:18 am

Death Proof wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:42 pm
Hell, just look at this cool-ass set they built in London.
I love the way Oz and Co. go with the obvious matte paintings to commit to the feel of it being a real play on a stage, just a bigger stage.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:52 am

Oh MASSIVE... we never saw eye to eye.
I watched this one in memory of ol' MASSIVEminiature. He always wanted me to watch it. Even mailed it to me on a flash-drive. I just never got around to it for some reason, couldn't see how a movie with a poodle-ghoul was necessarily gonna be my cuppa joe.
MASSIVE loved his cheapo, late-80s-aesthetic horror movies. Night Of The Demons was, I believe, his favorite horror movie. I mean, it has a certain campy charm for a very low-budget film, but with all the great horror movie out there... really? But he's also the guy who made me watch Madman (which is so-so), I Madman (which is better but still), and insisted I watch the "best Friday the 13th movie, Part 6".
But I liked the guy, so I watched them all. And now I've watched this one. Woof.

This is about a police-guy and a psychic who has helped with child-murders in the past but has given it up due to all the psychological damage she's suffered from working on those cases. But the police-guy calls on her one more time for something that happened down at the mortuary involving children and they're missing and maybe she can help save just a few more kids.
So off they go to the mortuary where it turns out things are very much not as anyone expected. Because it turns out while they were trying to free these particular children, people have been trying to keep them locked up for generations. Some kids, you just can't save.
And if possible, you should really try to end them.

So, in the MASSIVE tradition, this movie is extremely low-budget, probably lower than Night Of The Demons, much of the time appearing to really be at the DTV level, and it's not just the production values, it's the actors, the script, certainly the "sets" (which, honestly, they filmed this in the basement of some like construction-equipment rental office or something). I mean, even at this point in my horror-viewing career, I was surprised that a movie like this was still available. I also was pretty pissed off at how they handled suicide in the bizarre, random character that has no point in the movie (none of the characters have a point except to run from the ghouls). I know it's an older movie and all, but it's just really something that gets under my skin.
What the movie has going for it is the very basic premise I described above - because there is no story other than that, it's just that setup and then 30 minutes of fleeing/fighting the evil kids, and then another 20 minutes of fleeing/fighting the giant poodle-ghoul from the poster, and then the movie's over - the creepy fucking evil children demon thingies, which, hey, I give you full marks for those creepy fucking things, and Phyllis Diller who, oddly, seems to really show up for this thing.
Otherwise, it's the worst horror movie I've watched this year not called Terrifier. It's honestly a really bad movie.
But why am I surprised? MASSIVE loved bad horror movies. He just did.
So, here' to you ol' Horrorcrammer, wherever you may be.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:33 pm

Whew.
That was a long and grim movie.

This is the story of a neurotic young woman and her kinda douchey boyfriend and what happens after she suffers a major psychological trauma right when he is trying to break up with her. They end up taking a trip to Sweden with a friend who has invited them and a couple of other kinda douchey friends to go to his home in the Swedish countryside for a Spring festival. The serene and bucolic environment would seem to be welcoming them both to heal at a time when they really need it.
Alas, it is not meant to be.
As scenery that may be from a music festival or may be from some terrifying cult surrounds them...
... and Maypole dancing commences...
... a shocking moment throws everyone into panic and survival-mode. Or it should. But instead they stay and somehow become more engrossed and entwined with the obviously sinister goings-on around them. Instead of attempting to leave immediately, everyone seems to immediately forgive and forget what they've seen and allow themselves to dig deeper and deeper into Cult Life...
...and their own graves.

Another very well-made film from Ari Aster, who, to his credit, has now made two nearly unflinching (Hereditary flinched a bit at the end) and uncompromising genre films. He has a clear vision here and to be honest, he does not falter for one moment that I could see. While not everything that happened in the film worked for me, personally, it all worked in the scheme of the film. And, as appears to be his signature, he again delves into tragedy and how people react to it, and in his genre, how it leads them to greater horrors. Five minutes into this film I had tears in my eyes (I'm an empath) and two and half hours later I felt like I had seen something very good... but I was so glum it didn't really matter. It was hard for me to shake off the gloomy feeling until the next day. So I guess you'd have to call it effective.
And while it is a loooonnggg film (a genre film at 2 hours and 27 minutes?), the time does feel earned. There's not too much I would cut and the "deliberate" pace is in service to the material.

So what can I say in conclusion? Did I like it? It's hard to say. I thought The Devil's Rejects was a film to be appreciated and yet I don't necessarily want to watch it very often. And while this film comes at its violence and grue in a different way, it is there just the same, along with a feeling of melancholy and suffering and loss.
If you felt like you really liked The Wicker Man, but you felt like it was too upbeat, too fast-paced, and a full hour (exactly) too short, then Midsommar is probably the film for you.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:11 pm

Wooley wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:33 pm
... a shocking moment throws everyone into panic and survival-mode. Or it should. But instead they stay and somehow become more engrossed and entwined with the obviously sinister goings-on around them. Instead of attempting to leave immediately, everyone seems to immediately forgive and forget what they've seen and allow themselves to dig deeper and deeper into Cult Life...
Yeah, that was the only thing about it which left me cold. I was surprised they didn't all leave at that point. I also wasn't completely sold on the reasons the characters who ended up staying gave for why they should still stick around.

However, I'll still point out that I really enjoyed this one and it's definitely one of the best and most unique films I've seen from this year. Some scenes from it are still sticking with me. I like Hereditary more, but I still thought this one was really good.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:23 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:11 pm
Yeah, that was the only thing about it which left me cold. I was surprised they didn't all leave at that point. I also wasn't completely sold on the reasons the characters who ended up staying gave for why they should still stick around.

However, I'll still point out that I really enjoyed this one and it's definitely one of the best and most unique films I've seen from this year. Some scenes from it are still sticking with me. I like Hereditary more, but I still thought this one was really good.
I would say I agree with you. I still don't think I know how I feel about the movie, in terms of whether I actually liked it or not, but I definitely thought it was strong. Seems like a director I would happy with getting their hands on some material I have personal affection for (you know, like remakes of or sequels to movies you know they're eventually gonna do anyway so wouldn't it be great to get it into his hands before it becomes some Hollywood throwaway; like Villeneuve getting Blade Runner 2049).

But I specifically want to agree with you about the reasons everyone gave for staying and really character motivations throughout; I'll be specific in spoilers here:
The first couple to try to go seems to hang around a surprisingly long time considering they have no reason to stay. I mean, you knew the moment you met them they were just fodder but they could have acted less like sheep walking onto the killing floor. They're not doing projects or whatever, they were just there as friends and they should be running the fuck out of that place before the old dude even does his drop, hell before they've even scraped the old lady out of the way. Yet they seem to be there for like another day or two? I don't know, time was a bit hard to follow in this one, probably intentionally.
But the other ones. I mean, the guy who's the most douchey, the one who pisses on the tree, he gives like no real reason for staying. The other two dudes with their thesis bullshit, I mean, maybe the friend seemed like he might have some academic ambitions but the main dude we never saw that and now suddenly he's gonna stick around this place where things are obviously foul and dangerous and write his thesis on them? Gimme a break.
And that brings us to Dani, who has no fucking excuse and at the same time, really doesn't seem to be feeling any metaphysical pull until the May Queen dance. I mean, they're like, "hey, I know you're emotionally fragile, and you just watched two of our people leap to their bloody deaths and one of them have their heads smashed in with a giant hammer, and some of your group is kind of missing, and your boyfriend's acting really weird, but hey, come back pies", and she's all "sure! No, you're beautiful! *smiles".
All of that was pretty forced.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:26 pm

Wooley wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:52 am
So you would have us believe that a horror film starring Norman "Mr Roper" Fell and Phyllis Diller is NOT good? Balderdash, I say!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:16 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:26 pm
So you would have us believe that a horror film starring Norman "Mr Roper" Fell and Phyllis Diller is NOT good? Balderdash, I say!
Norman Fell with a long ponytail, no less.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:20 pm

Wooley wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:16 pm
Norman Fell with a long ponytail, no less.
Jeezus that sounds like a special kind of bad. Now I'm perversely curious.