Wooley's Half-Ass Horrorthon 2 (Horrorthon 14)

Discuss anything you want.
Captain Terror

Re: Wooley's Half-Ass Horrorthon 2 (Horrorthon 14)

Post by Captain Terror » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:25 pm

Also, I agree with your criticisms of Midsommar, but the end result outweighed whatever quibbles I had. That result being that I was shook, as the kids say.

Actually, that also applies to Hereditary.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:26 pm

Wooley wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:23 pm
I would say I agree with you. I still don't think I know how I feel about the movie, in terms of whether I actually liked it or not, but I definitely thought it was strong. Seems like a director I would happy with getting their hands on some material I have personal affection for (you know, like remakes of or sequels to movies you know they're eventually gonna do anyway so wouldn't it be great to get it into his hands before it becomes some Hollywood throwaway; like Villeneuve getting Blade Runner 2049).

But I specifically want to agree with you about the reasons everyone gave for staying and really character motivations throughout; I'll be specific in spoilers here:
The first couple to try to go seems to hang around a surprisingly long time considering they have no reason to stay. I mean, you knew the moment you met them they were just fodder but they could have acted less like sheep walking onto the killing floor. They're not doing projects or whatever, they were just there as friends and they should be running the fuck out of that place before the old dude even does his drop, hell before they've even scraped the old lady out of the way. Yet they seem to be there for like another day or two? I don't know, time was a bit hard to follow in this one, probably intentionally.
But the other ones. I mean, the guy who's the most douchey, the one who pisses on the tree, he gives like no real reason for staying. The other two dudes with their thesis bullshit, I mean, maybe the friend seemed like he might have some academic ambitions but the main dude we never saw that and now suddenly he's gonna stick around this place where things are obviously foul and dangerous and write his thesis on them? Gimme a break.
And that brings us to Dani, who has no fucking excuse and at the same time, really doesn't seem to be feeling any metaphysical pull until the May Queen dance. I mean, they're like, "hey, I know you're emotionally fragile, and you just watched two of our people leap to their bloody deaths and one of them have their heads smashed in with a giant hammer, and some of your group is kind of missing, and your boyfriend's acting really weird, but hey, come back pies", and she's all "sure! No, you're beautiful! *smiles".
All of that was pretty forced.
It took me some time to decide how much I enjoyed this one as well, but I can comfortably say I liked it for the most part. I'm not sure if I'll rewatch it, but it's still good.

And yeah, agreed on the motivations. They weren't believable enough to get me to buy them. Some people had some difficulty believing certain character motivations in Hereditary, and while I wasn't bothered with that, this film was a harder pill to swallow. I feel like Aster had to sacrifice a degree of realism in this film in order for the plot to go ahead.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:06 am

If you don't know this, it is the vinyl release Disney put out as a promotion for their new Disneyland attraction, The Haunted Mansion, in 1969.
It contains much of the actual soundtrack from the ride, re-recorded by voice-actors in a studio, but this time with a story-context of two teenagers happening upon the Mansion late one night and being taken on a tour by their... Ghost Host.
While "Karen", one of the teens, is voiced by a voice-actress of the time, steady "Mike" is voiced by none other than Ron Howard.
Madame Leota, the disembodied head inside a crystal-ball who calls the spirits together, and the Grim, Grinning Ghosts and their theme song make this just wonderful, spooky fun.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:12 am

Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:15 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:20 pm
Jeezus that sounds like a special kind of bad. Now I'm perversely curious.
Honestly, if you can get it (I had to order the DVD), it's not like we haven't all watched bad horror movies and there are some super-silly, wanna-be Evil Dead 2/House moments that would actually probably be fun if they weren't really all the movie has to offer. But, honestly, if MASSIVE loved it, and he loved it, I'll bet there are others who would enjoy it and its just too low-rent for me. He always thought I was a snob. :)
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:17 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:26 pm
It took me some time to decide how much I enjoyed this one as well, but I can comfortably say I liked it for the most part. I'm not sure if I'll rewatch it, but it's still good.

And yeah, agreed on the motivations. They weren't believable enough to get me to buy them. Some people had some difficulty believing certain character motivations in Hereditary, and while I wasn't bothered with that, this film was a harder pill to swallow. I feel like Aster had to sacrifice a degree of realism in this film in order for the plot to go ahead.
I think you hit the nail on the head there.
If they run, then either the Cult has to hunt them down and declare themselves murderous crazies right then and the whole slow-burn is sacrificed and the movie is an hour shorter (which might not have been the worst thing) or everybody just escapes and the movie is only an hour long.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:46 am

Ah yes. Number 4 in the Universal Frankenstein Franchise.
The tale here is that the citizens of Frankenstein (the village named for the old Baron) decide to destroy the old Castle Frankenstein and in so doing allow the always searching Ygor (introduced in Son Of Frankenstein) to locate the buried monster. Since he really never dies, the monster revives and follows his "friend" Ygor to another village in search of the other son of Frankenstein, in order to convince him to fully restore the weakened monster.
Upon reaching the son's village, they meet Ralph Fucking Bellamy (!) in probably the only role in his heyday I've ever seen him not play the lame-ass romantic rival of a bigger star, before his later turn as Randolph Duke in Trading Places. Here he is the town prosecutor who gets mixed up in all this monster business, basically just providing a tall good-looking person in the movie.
Meanwhile, Ygor finds Ludwig von Frankenstein who agrees that he must work with the monster since no one seems to be able to destroy him, but only to replace his brain with a healthy one so that he'll no longer be a menace 2 society. Ygor is not pleased as this will cause him to lose his only friend and the only thing that gives him any power in this world, so he convinces Ludwig's envious assistant, shockingly played by Lionel Atwill who appeared in the previous Frankenstein installment as a totally different character (the Police Inspector, parodied so perfectly in Young Frankenstein), to actually replace the monster's brain with his (Ygor's) own so that he can be a ruler of men!
From here, things go about as well as you'd expect.

This is a bit of a favorite of mine, partly because I just love Frankenstein movies, but also for its lower-budget/brow charm compared to its predecessors. And while Son Of Frankenstein, so hilariously parodied in Mel Brooks' Young Frankenstein, was certainly a step down from the Great Film that is Bride Of Frankenstein and its chilling predecessor, it was still pretty credible with Basil Rathbone in the lead and extended the lore introducing Ygor, and was a good bit of fun. This one is on fully another level down as the franchise (and the genre) began to flag. Budgets are lower, as are ambitions, and most notably, this is the first of the Universal Frankensteins where the monster is not portrayed by the great Boris Karloff. And nobody ever did it better. Or even close. In this case, the chore falls to Lon Chaney Jr. who, honestly, brings nothing to the role. While Karloff's portrayal was chilling and somehow convincing and even human, Chaney makes him a mindless lumbering golem.
All the work of the film falls to Lugosi who reprises his legendary role of Ygor. The fact that the very name continues to be a known horror trope nearly 80 years after Lugosi brought him to life tells you all you need to know about another of Lugosi's classic characters (Dracula, Murder LeGendre, Ygor).
Really, without Karloff in the flat-top 'n' bolts and no dashing personality like Rathbone's, Lugosi is the star of the film. And it's fun. He really hams it up.
And while the movie is no great shake, it is certainly dramatically better than the pretty tough sledding of its successor, Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man, which suffered all kinds of problems, most notably the painful indignity to Lugosi of having taken the role of the monster to bring a new element as he was supposed to gain intelligence and speak only to have ALL of his speaking lines cut from the film, which caused visible issues in scenes where his mouth moves and there is no sound.
Regardless, Ghost Of Frankenstein is nowhere near its predecessors, but it is a bit of fun and not just for Universal completionists and, at a run-time of just 68 minutes, everyone can fit it into their Halloween schedule.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:05 pm

The best part of the Universal sequels is that even when the budgets got smaller, the set designers always brought their A-game. (In fact that first pic of Lugosi and Chaney acted as my desktop for a while.) So like you say, even the worst of them will hit the spot come Halloween time, if only as background ambience. That said, Ghost is definitely not the worst of them. Lugosi's career is kind of depressing so I'm always happy to find a role where he really gets to take over and Ygor is one of my favorites. I love his habit of knocking on his broken neck bone. :)

And whenever I binge-watch any of the Universal series, it's always fun to spot the actors that keep showing up as different characters. I mean, Dwight Frye was frickin' FRITZ in the first film. MAJOR role. And one movie later he's "Karl" and we're just not supposed to notice? Pretty sure he shows up as a random villager in a later film too. I guess you could get away with that back before home video or TV reruns. Funny.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:36 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:05 pm
The best part of the Universal sequels is that even when the budgets got smaller, the set designers always brought their A-game. (In fact that first pic of Lugosi and Chaney acted as my desktop for a while.) So like you say, even the worst of them will hit the spot come Halloween time, if only as background ambience. That said, Ghost is definitely not the worst of them. Lugosi's career is kind of depressing so I'm always happy to find a role where he really gets to take over and Ygor is one of my favorites. I love his habit of knocking on his broken neck bone. :)

And whenever I binge-watch any of the Universal series, it's always fun to spot the actors that keep showing up as different characters. I mean, Dwight Frye was frickin' FRITZ in the first film. MAJOR role. And one movie later he's "Karl" and we're just not supposed to notice? Pretty sure he shows up as a random villager in a later film too. I guess you could get away with that back before home video or TV reruns. Funny.
That is funny, I never thought of that. I mean, Lionel Atwill was a pretty big name to keep using over and over. I mean, he was in Son Of Frankenstein, Ghost Of Frankenstein, Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman, and House Of Frankenstein. And he plays the Police Inspector in House Of Dracula... but not the same Police Inspector he played in Son Of Frankenstein, which is also not the one he played in House Of Frankenstein. This guy loved him some Frankenstein.
Of course, he also played Dr. X and the doctor in The Vampire Bat and featured prominently in Mystery Of The Wax Museum, Mark Of The Vampire (another Inspector), and The Hound Of The Baskervilles (yet another doctor).
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:17 am

Mo-om!
New Orleans is being New Orleans again!
Sandworms. You hate 'em, right? I hate 'em too!
Honestly, I have no idea how Beetlejuice became the theme this year, I must be gettin old, I didn't get the email, I just watched the movie.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:23 am

Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:40 am

What a great deal of fun this movie is. Just fun.
Vincent Price has made a lot of movies and its hard to name one as my favorite, but this one would have to be on the short list.
The movie begins with a strange, shadowy figure conducting a clockwork orchestra.
Who this figure turns out to be... and why he's murdering doctors across London to the theme of the Ten Plagues Of Egypt, and Scotland Yard's pursuit of this grim shadow, is the supposed meat of the movie. But the meat of the movie is really the amazing art-deco sets and lighting and surreal look and feel to the entire proceedings and the general overall gallows humor (this almost qualifies as a horror-comedy) and just downright kookiness...
... without losing sight of the grim and horrifying.
And if all that is the meat, then Vulnavia, the shadow's mysterious, silent, beautiful, fashionable, and deadly hench-woman, is the wine.
Of all the cool things about this movie, and there are a lot of them, she is the coolest. To me, a horror icon for the ages, her existence makes no sense and just escalates the surreal sensibility of the whole enterprise. Who is she? What is her connection, nay her devotion to this shadowy, theatrical killer? Why does murder seem like a labor of love to her? Will we ever know?! She's the best.

Really, for people like us, I really can't recommend this movie enough. It's sinister, surreal, visually captivating, has a fascinating soundtrack, and honestly is fairly funny too, in its uniquely dark way.
I honestly don't really know if I've ever seen a movie quite like it. I finally bought it and I look forward to maybe making it an annual tradition.
Watch this movie.
Oh, and don't miss out on the sly cameo from Hammer Horror favorite (not to mention the ingenue of the abominable Starcrash, Caroline Munro!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:46 am

crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:48 am

You've only just seen Phibes? I thought I was late to the party, and I saw it 10 years ago.

Yes, it's great.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:47 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:48 am
You've only just seen Phibes? I thought I was late to the party, and I saw it 10 years ago.

Yes, it's great.
No, I also saw it about 10 years ago, I just hadn't revisited it in a while and I just finally bought it since I haven't seen it streaming for a few years now.
And yes, I fucking love it.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:36 am

Well, no pun intended, this was a rather haunted little movie.
This is the story of the titular Jessica and her husband and their oddly, unexplained, 3rd-wheel friend who move to a small town now that Jessica has been released from a mental institution, in the hopes that the pastoral setting will help her re-acclimate to life and give her some peace. But right away these three ex-hippies (I'm assuming based on their lifestyle) find the denizens of the town off-putting and things take a strange turn when they find a squatter in the house they've just bought. Things worsen as Jessica begins to have visions and hear voices that could absolutely be real but may also just be her rapid descent back into madness.
This is one of the slower burns I've seen lately (other than Midsommar which burns for two and a half hours) and it was actually starting to feel just slow until the third act ends up rewarding and redeeming. Jessica's visions are always just haunted enough to believe they could be supernatural or just real enough to believe she never really got well from whatever was wrong in her mind.
And she is written and portrayed as desperately fragile but trying really hard in a really uncomfortable performance of someone who has suffered mental illness and now may be encountering something strange that no one else sees or may just be completely losing her mind. You end up feeling sad for a portion of this movie if you have any empathy because Jessica is having a really hard time and that's not making it any easier on the people around her either, which is all the real story of mental illness. On the other hand maybe she's not mad at all.

I found this movie to be engaging at first, then a bit of a slog, then very rewarding in the end. While I don't know if I would recommend it to everyone, I did enjoy it and I'm glad I finally pulled the trigger and saw this movie I've been considering for like 14 years and never just took the plunge.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:09 pm

Only the first 4 minutes, can't find it online anywhere, but the Quay Brothers made some awesome shit.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:13 pm

For crumbsroom (no I didn't have time to watch it this year, but like I said, I'll lead off next year with it):
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:39 pm

As if Mario Bava needed a warmup.
Black Sunday, aka Mask Of Satan, aka Revenge Of The Vampire, Italian horror-auteur Mario Bava's directorial debut, is the story of a witch, Asa (Barbara Steele), put to death by her own brother. Before the "Mask Of Satan" (a demon-looking brass mask with huge spikes on the inside) is applied to her and she is to be burned at the stake, she curses her brother and her family saying she will return to destroy them all and other witchy things to say. But as they try to light her pyre, a sudden storm comes on (perhaps summoned by Asa herself?) and prevents her burning. Her lover and thrall, already put to death in front of her is buried in a grave for criminals and heretics, and Asa is buried in her ancestral tomb in a coffin with a glass top and a large cross so that she can always see the crucifix and therefore never rise.
200 years later, a dumbass doctor (those guys are idiots), discovers the tomb, breaks all the safeguards that were put in place and manages to fucking bleed on her corpse (first time I'd ever seen this as the classic resurrection-device trope), and she's up to all kinds of devilish mischief in no time...
...including resurrecting her thrall Juvotich as a fucking vampire!
Now, I probably don't need to tell you that a witch that is a necromancer and can bring back the dead as vampires to serve her is not someone you want to fuck with. In no time flat, her enemies are possessed or dead or both. But her target is her great-great-however-many-greats grand-niece, Katja...
...descendent of her brother who put her to death, who is the living twin of Asa. She intends to take Katja's youth and life as her own and put the young woman in her grave.

Bava comes out of the gate here just oozing mood and atmosphere so thick and yet so artful that it just looks like the standard-bearer for horror for years to come. The look of his films is so iconic, I always have to remind myself that Hammer was doing this first with Terence Fisher and Freddie Francis, in color, but that really doesn't diminish what Bava does. He was no doubt inspired to some degree by Horror of Dracula and Curse of Frankenstein, but he obviously had a style of his own and became the standard going forward.
While some of the dubbed voice-acting was pretty rough and made the movie seem almost silly with melodrama at times, I really do consider this a touchstone moment in horror history, one I'm glad I finally got back around to viewing. This really solidified the tone of my Horrorthon.
Rump

Post by Rump » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:19 pm

Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:43 pm

Rump wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:19 pm
Ha! Awesome.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:19 pm

Yeah, here's a crazy little movie.
This is a screen-adaptation of the novel The Hands Of Orloc. A very creepy, but miraculously gifted and advanced surgeon, Dr. Gogol, has an unhealthy obsession with Yvonne, the star of a Grand Guignol "Théâtre des Horreurs".
Unfortunately for the crazy bastard, she is married to the great pianist, Steven Orlac. But when Orlac's hands are crushed in a train accident and the doctors insist they must be amputated, she reaches out to Dr. Gogol for help. Gogol decides to attempt transplanting the hands of a recently executed murderer to Orlac, without telling him or Yvonne. As Orlac's dangerous reactions increase and he discovers his proficiency with knives, Gogol's obsession with Yvonne only worsens and puts everyone on a collision-course with disaster.
I think this is the most unhinged performance I've seen from Lorre, including M. He's just creepy and off until his obsession gets the best of him and then he goes absolutely off the motherfucking rails in a really uninhibited performance.
And, of course, the movie has this awesome payoff moment...
Which doesn't really spoil anything in the movie without context, but I wouldn't want to reduce the impact of the moment for anyone who hasn't seen the film.
This is a fun and kooky little thing that's definitely worth adding to your expanded dark/horror repertoire.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:21 pm

And just because I'm feeling a little risqué and sexy after Rocky Horror last night...
Charles

Post by Charles » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:39 am

The aging effect in Black Sunday is so good. My mom and I were like woah! when we saw it. It's so cool to find out how they did special effects back in those days.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:09 am

Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:40 am

Charles wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:39 am
The aging effect in Black Sunday is so good. My mom and I were like woah! when we saw it. It's so cool to find out how they did special effects back in those days.
Yes, they do that with red lights filming in black and white, right?
Charles

Post by Charles » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:53 am

Wooley wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:40 am
Yes, they do that with red lights filming in black and white, right?
Yup. I had to look it up because I had no clue at all how they did it at first.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:26 am

I can't overstate how much I adore Mad Love. As soon as the fist punches the opening credits

you know you're in for something weird. Hard to believe that Karl Freund directed this only three years after The Mummy, which we can all agree is one of the stodgiest of the classic horror films. Mad Love is the opposite of stodgy. If I were forced to rank my favorite films, it would have a solid chance of making Top Ten. Not because it's THAT good, it just hits all of my buttons. It's got its creepy bits but its also really funny and most importantly its weird. There's not another horror from the 30s like it.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:06 am

Charles wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:53 am
Yup. I had to look it up because I had no clue at all how they did it at first.
No, it is nuts. I cannot believe that trick, when I first saw it demonstrated my mind was fucking blown. It's genius.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:08 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:26 am
I can't overstate how much I adore Mad Love. As soon as the fist punches the opening credits

you know you're in for something weird. Hard to believe that Karl Freund directed this only three years after The Mummy, which we can all agree is one of the stodgiest of the classic horror films. Mad Love is the opposite of stodgy. If I were forced to rank my favorite films, it would have a solid chance of making Top Ten. Not because it's THAT good, it just hits all of my buttons. It's got its creepy bits but its also really funny and most importantly its weird. There's not another horror from the 30s like it.
Oh, dude, you are so right, when that fist punches through the credits, you know you are in for awesome. And it delivers.
Honestly, you are preaching to the choir on the buttons thing.
And yes, The Mummy was dull, how did this come from the same guy?
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:10 am

So look, my birthday is in 51 minutes and I'm shit-faced.
But I still have 3 movies to write-up.
So, I always try to wrap these up by midnight or so on Halloween, but I just can't really, might get one more out tonight, now that guests are gone, but I won't get all three.
Bare with me. Yes... Bare. It's Halloween.
I'm gonna steal a little from last year's HT to get this finished.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:36 am

Yeah. Again.
Honestly, this is the Halloween movie to me, now, kinda bumping Halloween and White Zombie, which is what I used to watch every Halloween night.
At some point, you need to make a move, take a step forward and I feel like Cabin In The Woods and Trick 'r Treat allowed me to do that. Now The Fog has worked its way into that rare air as well.
Anyway, this is an amazing modern horror-anthology, an omnibus, if you will. Except that, for once, the wraparound is rock fucking solid. Instead of being this sort of forced thing at worst or at best something that juts checks in, in this case the wraparound is an integrated part of every story and every story is an integrated part of the wraparound. Really, it's a movie where all of these things are deeply integrated and they all pack a great punch.
Everything folds together so beautifully that no matter how many times you watch it, you're still saying, "Oh yeah, damn, I forgot that was them right in the first shot!" or "Holy fuckballz, that means that this other crazy thing already fucking happened and oh shit!". It's like that. But also in a weird way that almost seems as light as an after-school special at times. Until it's not. And I thin that's exactly what Dougherty was going for, and he fucking nailed it shut.
But it's always, all Halloween.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:38 am

Wooley wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:10 am
So look, my birthday is in 51 minutes and I'm shit-faced.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:39 am

Also, I'm a big fan of Trick 'r Treat.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:44 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:38 am
Aw, thanks, man!
And you are wise about TrT.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:02 am

There are not that many things you can count on in this world, but one of them is that I will watch The Rocky Horror Picture Show in the second half of October every year.
And every year, I feel thoroughly rewarded.
I love this kooky, Hammer-Horror-inspired, glam-rock-sci-fi/horror musical more than any movie, from it's "What the actual fuck" first act...
... to its actually emotional and grim but still glam-rock/Hammer/sci-fi-as-fuck what the actual fuck finale...
... this is still the cultest movie I've ever seen, the songs rock, and it's just fun as fuck all. Period.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:12 am

Some of you will recognize this from the historically wonderful Return Of The Living Dead. Probably the most emotional moment of the film. When he takes off his ring and hangs it on that switch.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:16 am

And by the way, at 34 or 35 films, plus all the other content I was able to squeeze in, I'm doin' it, I'm calling this Horrorthon FULL-ASS.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:08 am

Wooley wrote:And by the way, at 34 or 35 films, plus all the other content I was able to squeeze in, I'm doin' it, I'm calling this Horrorthon FULL-ASS.
Impressive! I'm adding several of these to my list for next year. Can you imagine, I've never seen Rocky Horror?
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:10 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:08 am
Impressive! I'm adding several of these to my list for next year. Can you imagine, I've never seen Rocky Horror?
Oh boy.
Well, for some people it's just too remote, that time has long-since passed.
But if you like Hammer Horror and 60s Sci-Fi, and you like glam-rock like Bowie and T. Rex and such, and you like musicals and you like stage-plays... and you like weird shit, then Rocky Horror is a movie for you.
If not, well, it is what it is.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:46 pm

Wooley wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:16 am
And by the way, at 34 or 35 films, plus all the other content I was able to squeeze in, I'm doin' it, I'm calling this Horrorthon FULL-ASS.
Agreed! I was gonna say this thread definitely gave me an ass-full, but that didn't sound right. :)
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:59 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:46 pm
Agreed! I was gonna say this thread definitely gave me an ass-full, but that didn't sound right. :)
Ha! How you use my thread is your business as far as I'm concerned.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:22 pm

A surprise late-entry as my small Halloween gathering turned into a movie at guests' request.
We had one friend there who's never really watched horror movies and wanted to watch something classic and kinda scary but not too much. The rest of us wanted something fun. So we thought this would be a great fit.
Of course, we were drunk and totally not thinking about how edgy the bat-shit craziness of this movie really is and how off-putting it could be to the wrong audience. 3 of us had a blast. 1 of us could not wait for it to end. Such is life.

So, just like the previous 50 times I've watched this movie, Ash and Linda set out in their miniature car across a miniature bridge...
...to a cabin Ash knows about - that does not belong to him. A romantic night is planned and if anyone who actually belongs there shows up, they'll just tell them their car broke down. Unfortunately for them, what shows up does not belong anywhere.
For the sinister Necronomicon, the ancient Book Of The Dead, just happens to be in this cabin and, when played back, the translation of certain incantations on the big tape machine awaken something in the woods, something ancient and decidedly not nice.
From here things get crazy at a break-neck pace and they really never let up. There are really only a few minutes, all added up, where there isn't just insane action. You can understand why not just cult-audiences but also real filmmakers, like Peter Jackson and Edgar Wright thought this movie (and its predecessor) was something unique. Sayeth Roger Ebert: "But look a little closer and you'll realize that the movie is a fairly sophisticated satire. Level One viewers will say it's in bad taste. Level Two folks like myself will perceive that it is about bad taste. It is (good) because (a) the violence and gore are carried to such an extreme that they stop being disgusting and become surrealistic; (b) the movie's timing aims for comedy, not shocks, and (c) the grubby, low-budget intensity of the film gives it a lovable quality that high-tech movies wouldn't have." It really is bat-shit crazy and I know this but I honestly forgot just how much.
In the argument of which is better, The Evil Dead or The Evil Dead 2, I honestly think it's just a matter of taste. I prefer the longer and more fleshed out, but also more colorful and silly version that is this second one to the slightly leaner and meaner version that is the original. But they're both great.
And this, while not the one I planned, worked out as a great finisher to a fun month of genre goodness.
Happy Birthday to me.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:22 pm

I didn't think Mad Love totally clicked for me. Although there were some good things about it (Lorre, Clive, Rollo), some elements (wow, some of these characters were awfully slow on how Orloc was obsessed with the Grand Guinol lady) held it back.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:50 pm

Happy Birthday!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:51 am

Apex Predator wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:22 pm
I didn't think Mad Love totally clicked for me. Although there were some good things about it (Lorre, Clive, Rollo), some elements (wow, some of these characters were awfully slow on how Orloc was obsessed with the Grand Guinol lady) held it back.
Yeah, I don't see it as a great film, but I do see it as a super-cool cult-as-fuck film.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:51 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:50 pm
Happy Birthday!
Thank you!
I am very grateful today.
daakmore

Post by daakmore » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:03 am

Wooley wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:22 pm
In the argument of which is better, The Evil Dead or The Evil Dead 2, I honestly think it's just a matter of taste. I prefer the longer and more fleshed out, but also more colorful and silly version that is this second one to the slightly leaner and meaner version that is the original. But they're both great.
And this, while not the one I planned, worked out as a great finisher to a fun month of genre goodness.
Happy Birthday to me.
I'm definitely a Evil Dead 2 guy, but then again I saw the entire trilogy in reverse order Starting with Army of Darkness, then Evil Dead 2 and finally years later seeing the original. If you ever get a chance I recommend seeing the Evil Dead: The Musical stage play, it combines 1 & 2 with the tone of 2 throughout and of course funny songs. It also squeezes in some lines from Army of Darkness for good measure, plus performances sometimes have a splatter section where you can get sprayed with fake blood while watching it.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:02 pm

daakmore wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:03 am
I'm definitely a Evil Dead 2 guy, but then again I saw the entire trilogy in reverse order Starting with Army of Darkness, then Evil Dead 2 and finally years later seeing the original. If you ever get a chance I recommend seeing the Evil Dead: The Musical stage play, it combines 1 & 2 with the tone of 2 throughout and of course funny songs. It also squeezes in some lines from Army of Darkness for good measure, plus performances sometimes have a splatter section where you can get sprayed with fake blood while watching it.
Is there a tree-rape song?
daakmore

Post by daakmore » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:33 am

Wooley wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:02 pm
Is there a tree-rape song?
There is not, they do have a song called "What the Fuck was That" that is probably my favorite from the show.