The Imminent American Christmas Apocalypse

Discuss anything you want.
Jinnistan

The Imminent American Christmas Apocalypse

Post by Jinnistan » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:40 pm

Take off your shoes, America. It's all downhill from here.

In fact, it's pretty much been downhill for so long that people stopped noticing what uphill felt like. The gratifying sweat and steam of ache by acre toil got tossed into the sentimental tins of attic trusts and unread descriptions of humble dusty dignity. That's not your problem or entirely your fault. We've been mummifying our nobler impressions for years. The nectar of leisure has secreted into the purest saturated crystal; rock plaque in the culture's bladder. White fructose. This season's pissings is sure to be the stingingest sugar fire since times of St. Uthraeus and the Cathars. Whom amongst us wouldn't go running to Dr. Santa to cure our ills? Ol' Karl Kringle with his punitative lists and proprietary trademark means.

I believe that Robin Williams will be the icon for our itinerant Christmas abyss, being such a beloved benefactor of joy, wonder, little elven friends and reduplicative paraminature gifts for everyone to inhabit and celebrate. White fructose will swell our imaginations with rapidly congealing candythink. After all, America is the sad clown of national exhaustion and cognizant responsibility.

Yes, it's a little soon to start scalding the chestnuts, but I'm not convinced that any of us are getting out of this Christmas alive, so I'm going to use a thread to go-pro this skiff straight down the mountain. I'll place my trust in the Corrierino community to vandalize wisely.
Oxnard Montalvo

Re: The Imminent American Christmas Apocalypse

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:29 pm

I'll still turn out to vote in November, I always turn out to vote in November.

I'll probably be lugging a lot of bitter emotions with me but it feels like the least-accelerationist thing to do. the very least.
topherH

Post by topherH » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:18 pm

If there were no white males, there'd be no problems in the world.
State of Siege |Gavras, 1972| +
Deadpool |Miller, 2016| +
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended
Charles

Post by Charles » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:30 pm

topherH wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:18 pm
If there were no white males, there'd be no problems in the world.
But if there was no world, white male would have no problems either. Which one should we strive for, really?
topherH

Post by topherH » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:26 pm

Charles wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:30 pm
But if there was no world, white male would have no problems either. Which one should we strive for, really?
I mean what came first, the chicken or the egg?
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +

+ Recommended
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:11 pm

I know this election is not a foregone conclusion. yet. BUT if the situation presents itself, I'd rather spend my 2021-2024 organizing to extract Warren/Sanders-approved concessions from the Biden administration than calling up Mitt Romney and asking him not to vote for Trump's latest SCOTUS pick.

I'm not saying last night wasn't a major buzzkill, I just gotta think of something to keep me going.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:28 pm

and there's still March 10th so the fight ain't over.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:38 am

Well, I wasn't necessarily intending this to be a political thread. More of a demonstration of our cultural sclerosis, which, undoubtedly, has a direct correlation to many of our current political predicaments.

Oddly enough, I did not decide to start the thread as a direct response to the specific events of Super Tuesday, although I can see how that would be the obvious inference. I am neither troubled by the prospect of supporting Bernie or Biden as the preferable alternative to our current Cartman-in-Chief. I am troubled by the respective piety on either side - the Never-Bernies of the Carvilles vs. the No-Joes of the Turks - which threaten the more sensible approach to restoring any semblence of national sanity. This thread is more about the increasingly naive assumption that the latter entails. By all means, don't let this stand in the way of any further conspiratorial projections, because that's the lube we're going to need to squeeze into our collective "last bath" as the romantics would say.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:06 pm

I gotcha

party on, all the same
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:46 pm

OK, Ox. Put down those pliers and I'll take a minute to get the political beef off my back before I commence with my stirring satire of American tinsel and willful dementia.

I don't really have any issues with the political developments over the past week concerning the Dem primary. Neither Biden nor Bernie are my preferred candidates. I have and still prefer Warren based on the substance of her policies and her clear-eyed pragmatism for achieving them. I like Bernie, but I would feel more comfortable if he had as clear a strategy for implementing his plans. I like Joe, truth be told, less for his policies than his clueless chutzpah, but I can listen to his corny high noon tall tales all day long. The fact is that we all know that Joe isn't exactly going to be running the show anyway, but he still polls better against Trump nationally. Joe represents a return to "normal", which is fine for most Americans. Anyway, we all have preferences, and the only preference that we can all agree on is the preference of seeing Bloomberg shown the limo door (and good job not slamming it on his knuckles).

As much as I like Bernie, and his principles if not his precise policy proposals, I've come to the realization that I really really really can't stomach, mmm not a majority per se but, a significant percentage of what we can call "Bernie Supporters". For one, even many of the otherwise fine ones can be defensive to the point of hyperbolic paranoia. For example, by pointing out what should be obvious after months - that there are at least a few, and likely more like a few dozen, supporters who may not be as ethically aligned with their leader as one would normally expect in rabid followers - I would be inviting a solidarity of wrath to rival a Hell's Angel beatdown in the internet equivalent. Nevermind that Bernie himself has had to excoriate these more extreme elements on multiple occasions (including just this morning, actually) or had to walk back some carelessly incendiary charge from some self-appointed surrogate or has himself openly and humbly confirmed the very fact of what has been obvious for months - that some of his supporters may have less than the best interests in mind for the future health of civil democracy - this charge would still be taken as an attack on the holistic body of the Bernieboro one and all and also taken as evidence that I am indeed on the payroll of the Clinton Foundation. (And, no, btw.)

Again, not to disparage those who sincerely hold a preference for Bernie. Where I start to get confused is with those specific Bernistas who find Warren's relatively comparable policies to be completely, absolutely untenable. Since this is idiotic on its face, given the small amount of daylight in the ultimate goals between the two candidates, I find it difficult to understand how someone with a preference for Bernie would find Warren to be such an unacceptable alternative, and vice versa. Simply, I believe this is the strongest indicator of someone who may not have their respective policies in mind. As Bernie himself announced this morning (and again, not for the first time), there's been a vitriol among a chunk of his supporters against Warren that does not ethically or sensibly align with what the Sanders campaign represents. These have only amped up considerably since Tuesday, prompting Bernie's denouncement of them this morning. The charge of "betrayal" for her not stepping down, unlike Bernie's noble sacrifice in the last primary long after any path to victory had eluded him. (*sarcasm*) At least Sanders seems to understand the value of her support, which is why he's trying to salvage some good will here. For some reason, Warren seems hesitant to endorse a campaign that has been haranguing her with vicious sexist and serpentine spite.

"Sowing discord". Interesting phrase. The call of the cause seems to have eclipsed noticing how the Bernie umbrella now includes such inveterate progressives as Donald Trump, Tucker Carlson, Lindsay Graham and Ronna McDaniel Romney. In addition to his tweeted condolences, Trump hasn't even asked any foreign government for dirt on him, and lal' Lindsay hasn't opened any investigations at executive request. Tucker's long praised pacifism has not been troubled by Bernie's invitation for Putin to lick the ben-gay off of his bad hip. And Ronna, fighting back tears of indignation, bravely refused to hurt Bernie's case against the DNC by mentioning the inconvenient fact that she very publicly ordered her own RNC to literally rig the Pub primaries against Trump's opponents. (Seriously though, Ronna. Straight to Hell.) But then again, this administration uses hypocrisy more like a blunt jedi mind trick than mere subtle deception. I'm just pointing it all out because a number of Bernie supporters can't.

Cenk Uygur, the leftist Hannity, coming fresh off of his own crushing congressional defeat, has naturally divined from that experience that he must be rationally endowed to decide the only reasonable solution for winning a national election: internecine WAR within the Democratic party. ("How can Satan drive out Satan?") Christ and Abraham aside, does anyone other than a demagogic dolt think that the answer to all of our problems is more division and all of the scars and resentments that come with those casualties? I mean, anyone with our best interests at heart? Any more bad ideas? Oh, how about a campaign based on ageist boomer-bashing. That'll be hilarious when the youth vote fails to show up again, right?
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:54 am

Benjamin Hollis Jennings was a moderately reknowned Cambridge anthropologist perhaps best known for his controversial work on an apocryphal people purportedly inhabiting the area of the Paracels in the South China Sea which he endeavored to name Orangboreans, a clumsy transliteration of the "north men" described to him by his Malay subjects. Jennings' work was based on precious little physical artifacts, instead relying almost solely on oral legend, and hence his academic obscurity today. The legend itself is worth examining. At Jennings estimate, approximately 15000 BC, sea levels in the South China Sea were such as to accommodate a number of currently submersed islands and straits which were then teeming with societies of trade and fishermen. A combination of higher sea levels (approx. end of Ice Age) and since-dormant volcanic activity has irrevocably altered this terrain into the relatively barren string of sandy cays, shoals and banks as exist today. According to legend, as related to Jennings, a colony of arcane culture continued to reside within one of the partially submersed enclaves where they maintained the hidden ancient wisdom. In Jennings' time, the state of marine archeology was obviously not sufficient to mount a proper expedition into these vast underwater caverns, but some of the lore did happen to correspond with emerging industrial surveyence. For example, these mythical people were alleged to have possessed a "blue fire" which neatly aligns with the methane crystals known have an abundance in the area. The mythology, as imperfectly transmitted as it is, is significantly focused on the contrast and balance of this blue force, as a desired energy source, and the competing and complementary force of water, freshly reserved, and of the oceanic vents which facilitated their otherwise subterranean oxygen supply. Utilizing geothermal resources, this inevitably isolated population was said to survive for several centuries entombed in volcanic cavities allowing for limited but fervid fishing and floral nutrition. In addition to the dim cast of history's transcribed curtain, there are a number of legends of those who supposedly penetrated these remote enclaves, heroic centuries-old tales of witnessed admittance. Such tales are more or less fantastical, but portraits of their supposed smock-like attire and their totemic motifs of blades and teeth are still evident in the shadowy subconscious northern storm of Malaysian superstition. Like all myth, it's inherently significant what is projected from below.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:25 pm

I don't know where this thread is going but I am intrigued
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:20 am

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:25 pm
I don't know where this thread is going but I am intrigued
Think of it as our Christmas Apocalypse. I'll be doing my Dollywood thing, but I promise not to go Hannibal Lector on anyone else's contributions.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:20 am

Sir James George Frazer had to excise all of Jennings material from Golden Bough for the simple reason that not only did no living witness have any direct experience with these so-called Orangboreans but no living witness could cite the last generation which had. In addition to the difficulty of apprehending a culture through the hostile filter of its enemies (or its victims, as the case may be), this nebulous basis for these myths' archeological origins is compounded by the less tangible complications concerning the relative novelty, or incongruity in the view of its more dismissive critics, of the ascribed symbolism. Specifically, the central and common emblem, as related by Malay superstition, of this particular culture is a form of ouroboros, an image not evident in any other East Asian context. It would require, perhaps, a heliolithic explanation for how such a Greco-Egyptian character was somehow diffused into a South Pacific culture in such a specific and isolated fashion. A more reasonable possibility is that it is an illustration of Longdong, a "blue hole", or sinkhole, which is located in the same vicinity of the Paracel Islands. This feature would take on the name of "Dragon Hole", and take on other mythological significance elsewhere.

Frazer was most concerned with the correlation of the ouroboros and the god/man crucifixion/resurrection, as it variously applied to fertility and agricultural rites. The snake eating its own tail becomes God creating man to slay God. Both result in rejuvenation and cyclical generation. He considered the possibility that Orangborean was a corruption of ouroboro-ian, for although "orang" is common Malay for "man", "boreas" is Greek, and not likely a recognizable cardinal distinction in the area. But then again, neither is the Greek form of tail-eating. It's easier to imagine an independent formulation of a dragon, or sea serpent, encompassing a circle, designating a hole or an "eye" as it is sometimes referred to, and even modified to eating its tail as an expression of cyclical eternity, all without requiring the question of why the local, legendary name happens to be so phonetically similar to a virtually identical symbol half a world away and without any trace of a connection between them. In archetypal terms, why is eternity so often disguised as a reptile?

The terminal unity of ouroboros is itself instructive: "One is All, Through One is All, By One is All, and Without All, All is Nothing." Follows the Axiom of Maria, the emanations of Zohar, and quite possibly the true interpretation of John 3:16.

There's a hole in there somewhere.

"A cave is just a hole on its side, Ray." - Harold Hiphugger
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:16 pm

Shortly after the last post, I was sent an article concerning new research that the Gospel of John just might be a forgery. Which is almost precious in the 21st Century. Oh? You mean that the Gospel of John was not actually written by a man named John who happened to be an eyewitness to the events in that document? Under this definition isn't the entire work of the Bible a forgery, unlikly written by the names with which the books are attributed and likely less than eyewitness accounts of the events to which they pertain? I'm not sure why anyone with allegedly academic credentials finds any of this controversial. Forgeries within forgeries, another kind of ouroboros, I guess. Luckily, at least, when we consider the gnostic literature, by definition forgeries by not being written by the names to which they are attributted, but in also being more unaplogetically mythical in substance renders any pretense of eyewitness integrity irrelevant. Accepting these texts as symbolic formulas, an allegorical infrastructure, is the only sane prospect in approaching them. However, I do applaud the challenge to evangelical propriety over their phantom pieties. I'm just perpetually surprised that it remains necesssary. In that sense, I stand by my sentiment that the "son of man" is the tail of ouroboros, with its ascending/descending symmetry and cyclical perpetuity. The head, the tail and the hole damn thing.

Modern American Mall-Christians are not particularly concerned with the symbolic distinctions that arise from their book pointing to Nazars, Mandaeans, or Ebionites and I imagine that if you catch one in a candid stare they would be unable to differentiate John the Baptist from John the Apostle from John the Revelator. They don't understand the symbolic soil in which their conflated fruit is produced. It isn't exactly necesssary, unless you were to base such root beliefs into a life/death scenario almost. A funny joke early in the Gospel of John is how John the Baptist wants nothing to do with any of it. The forgery, I believe, is wrested around endearing such misunderstandings. The ouroboros becomes a shackle.

"We're chained to the world, and we've all got to pull." - Tom Waits

Also brought to my attention is the synchronicitous coincidence that the Wiki page for John 3:16 includes a painting by one William Hole, an artist that I was unaware of. Possibly a hint that I may be meddling in forces beyond my comprehension. Oh well. Because a well is also a hole.

Maybe we should bring in Bob for this Billy Hole bush abattoir thing or whatever other wild observation. This is also apparently hidden from modern ears.

Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:16 pm

Flat earth folks naturally don't believe in holes, so the Ouroboros is the kind of thing to arouse their suspicion. They see the dragon ring as a Wernher von Braun wet dream conjured into industrial light and magic and summoned upon us as the new government god. That aside for the moment.

The vector of interest is in the concept of an invisible authority, which is the root erecting all of these presumptions of power and privilege. As limited beings, we presume power lies elsewhere, "higher" perhaps as far as we dignify it. How do we cooperate with higher powers? We determine what appeases it. Or, rather inevitably, we determine how to bluff it. God, Superego, Big Brother, Santa Claus - all of the classic panopticons are phantom systems stemming from a recognition of our lack of power. If we don't have it, someone else surely does, and what you don't know, they surely do. Clearly, the Flat Earth folks are simply the most convenient example of this epistemic insecurity, necessary canaries in our contemporary coalmine. Uncertainty is the sea we swim.

The panopticon, as a model of behavioral power, has a way of flattering our narcissism - wire up everyone's homes and we can all be stars! The invisible authority becomes the audience, generalized, presumed. The aberrant salience of what is now called the "Truman Syndrome" presents an interesting dilemma. Such delusions existed prior to that film, but our technological environment has allowed it to thrive. The benevolent/malevolent audience/authority is always lurking in our mediated consciousness. Given the passive posture many people have with their media relationships, it's not difficult to see the dynamic of control leaning towards a hybrid impulse of vain hostility. The reduplicative paramnesia of questioning the authority of the very place you are sitting right now isn't as far off as it would have seemed in prior decades, but then again, I tend to lump the "living simulation" crowd in with the flat-earthers for their mutual asininity. I think there's a lot of young people who are desperate for a new religion to alleviate this existential dissonance. There's plenty of shoes in the door. Just don't call it that.

My cybercophagus, this venerative seal of my experience and virtue, a midnight feast of my dropped palms and walnuts, shines supine for the enticed serpent of the sky.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:56 pm

Why do I have to compete with some Hydra Spam thread?

People? Accept no substitutes for your demonic aquatic flavor.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:55 pm

I'm still reading!
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:04 am

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:55 pm
I'm still reading!
I'm dying as fast as I can!

But thank you.

There's already a lot to unpack here. Circling back a bit, Longdong the Dragon Hole is not some kind of pornographic video game but a real place in the South China Sea, officially the deepest sinkhole on the planet, creating the illusion of a blue eye in satellite images. Its connection to the classic Chinese epic Journey To The West is interesting but frustrating. The notorious blue hole is allegedly the place where the Monkey King discovered his magical shaft, the Ruyi Jingu Bang, but the legend attributes this to the Blue Dragon King of the East China Sea, Ao Guang, as opposed to the Red Dragon of the South China Sea, Ao Quin, where the distinctly blue Dragon Hole is located. Mythical locations of hidden wisdom tend to be notoriously obscured, to discourage unseeming curiosity, but this is an example of where a direct complication is thrown into the narrative. Either way, this has very little to do with the imminent American fat man feast, and I certainly wouldn't want to imply some kind of current effort to control, or daresay weaponize, any deep-seated secret power in the South China Sea as relevant to the American cultural dehydration (so to speak).

If Woodstock represented the Age of Aquarius, perhaps Fyre represents the Age of Avarice. Bullshit is the American Eucharist. Blood and body are transubstantiated into sheets of electric ink, prospective shells and polished scales, the dust of dead skin is now a data resource. We're eating ourselves as we speak. The cosmic consummation of imagination: the image. Like all things consumed, images more or less have a nutritional value. The White Fructose of the American Christmas Sugarcane has neuroelectric thrills and possible (fine print) side effects. What stimulates subsequently depletes.

The child and the eye are always waiting.

The Monkey King is awakened to emptiness.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:26 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:04 am
I'm dying as fast as I can!

But thank you.

There's already a lot to unpack here. Circling back a bit, Longdong the Dragon Hole is not some kind of pornographic video game but a real place in the South China Sea, officially the deepest sinkhole on the planet, creating the illusion of a blue eye in satellite images. Its connection to the classic Chinese epic Journey To The West is interesting but frustrating. The notorious blue hole is allegedly the place where the Monkey King discovered his magical shaft, the Ruyi Jingu Bang, but the legend attributes this to the Blue Dragon King of the East China Sea, Ao Guang, as opposed to the Red Dragon of the South China Sea, Ao Quin, where the distinctly blue Dragon Hole is located. Mythical locations of hidden wisdom tend to be notoriously obscured, to discourage unseeming curiosity, but this is an example of where a direct complication is thrown into the narrative. Either way, this has very little to do with the imminent American fat man feast, and I certainly wouldn't want to imply some kind of current effort to control, or daresay weaponize, any deep-seated secret power in the South China Sea as relevant to the American cultural dehydration (so to speak).

If Woodstock represented the Age of Aquarius, perhaps Fyre represents the Age of Avarice. Bullshit is the American Eucharist. Blood and body are transubstantiated into sheets of electric ink, prospective shells and polished scales, the dust of dead skin is now a data resource. We're eating ourselves as we speak. The cosmic consummation of imagination: the image. Like all things consumed, images more or less have a nutritional value. The White Fructose of the American Christmas Sugarcane has neuroelectric thrills and possible (fine print) side effects. What stimulates subsequently depletes.

The child and the eye are always waiting.

The Monkey King is awakened to emptiness.
Hmm, this looks like a Nameless post. Are you doing OK?
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:35 am

Extending the Eastern buffet of archetypical complements: the child, the eye, the sky - these are all Taoist coordinates for what Xiong Shili describes as the self-illuminating lamp.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:57 pm

This thread has become a curse.

The proverbial skiff has descended much more rapidly than my optical services can handle. This week has deteriorated faster than even the horrible week prior, much less when I started the thread. There's no more help I can bring. I don't have the time or energy for an internet life at this time. I don't mean this to sound like a pity-quit, but it's a fact of the matter.

People, please take this seriously. Help your neighbors. Sooner than we'd like to think, we're all going to need all of the help we can get.
kgaard.

Post by kgaard. » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:06 pm

Take it easy, man. Be safe.
topherH

Post by topherH » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:28 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:57 pm
Yeah, but do you have any toilet paper?
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +

+ Recommended
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:46 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:57 pm

The proverbial skiff has descended much more rapidly than my optical services can handle. This week has deteriorated faster than even the horrible week prior, much less when I started the thread. There's no more help I can bring. I don't have the time or energy for an internet life at this time. I don't mean this to sound like a pity-quit, but it's a fact of the matter.

People, please take this seriously. Help your neighbors. Sooner than we'd like to think, we're all going to need all of the help we can get.
What's wrong?

*looks out window*

Oh, yeah, pandemic.

This is obviously bad. But I wouldn't encourage walking away from some convenient social networking to keep sane. And I would definitely encourage not putting uneeded effort into posting. I never have and it has been a glorious relief.

But to each their own. Regardless, take care dude. Youve got my email if you feel any need to reach out. And if not, we'll all still be here when the viral dust clears.

I hope. Cue ominous music
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:23 pm

Take care, buddy.

*raises glass*
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Stu

Post by Stu » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:38 am

:heart: you, Jinnistan.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:10 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:46 pm
Youve got my email if you feel any need to reach out. And if not, we'll all still be here when the viral dust clears.
Thank you, David. And Rock and Stu as well. I will reach out when I can. I have tales.

I will try to pick up this thread in a month or two, mostly because that's about the furthest out I'm capable of foreseeing at the time. I have no idea what things will look like week-to-week. I'm a weasel, so I'll be alright, but the priorities are challenged.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:22 pm

Fake it till you make it, Mazzy.

Good timing on this surge of international travel.
Stu

Post by Stu » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:50 am

Welcome back, Jinn :heart:
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:26 pm

Sure you're up to this? No one will fault you if you wait until you're 100 percent. :up:
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:13 am

Apex Predator wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:26 pm
Sure you're up to this? No one will fault you if you wait until you're 100 percent. :up:
I find your lack of faith disturbing.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:16 am

Some quick background: Things were relatively hunky-dory in Jinnistan when the thread started. I had an ominous apprehension of rot on the horizon, sure, but nothing particularly personal. Not all of this was due to the emerging coronavirus crises, but even as the wheels were already starting to spark on the tracks by then, I admit that I've also been taken aback at the number of avoidable clashes of competence that were probably predictable if we were more willing to fully reckon with the state of our current American government dysfunction. Turns out that I'm never quite cynical enough to not be a little shocked at the transparent selfish indifference of our garbage-pail-kid-in-chief.

But, again, none of that, in the halcyon days of early March, ever really directly tangible to my life. So let me make a slightly smug thread on the imminent American dissolution, marinated and spiced with how consumerism has softened our bones and plaqued our hearts. It's not exactly an inaccurate assessment. Weird things started manifesting however. It's difficult to describe without a lot of identifying details. Over the next two weeks, things just really started falling apart, initially in subtle and not very apparent ways. The last relevant post was on March 16, a Monday I think? That week later saw me being furloughed and my father, rather suddenly in fact, placed on a respirator that he would not escape. (He was never tested for the coronavirus, to my frustration.) That skiff I mentioned upthread turned out to have a pretty exclusive passenger. Meanwhile the country goes into lockdown, an is currently being threatened by an insurrection of consumerist instincts that awful people are calling "livelihoods". Insult to injury, this American Christmas Apocalypse continues to threaten to suffocate us all, all in the name of selfish consumption. (Remember when "consumption" used to refer to lung death?)

Thanks for asking, but there's been some stability reintroduced in my life over the last few days and I'll be fine and fit as a cockroach. As for the narrative strains, I'll keep trying to flesh them out, but the primary interest is in the themespeak brainstorm, trying to coagulate more muddled forms into distinct derelicts of the diorama. Bear with me.

I hate to do it. Teletubbies. Think about it. I have, and some may remember my thoughts on the subject because it's both batshit (no pun) and almost irresistable in our current cultural climate. After over 20 years, I still think that this is the ugly image of America's future. Post-literate? Ha! We're going post-lingual. Our carcasses becoming malted fructose cases, mandated pajamas, whether facial distinctions erased through crispr or prosopagnosis matters little. Helpful artificial appliance "friends" to feed and shepherd and intermittently entertain us, the internet of things becoming a safety web of interactive leashes. And, always, that god damn baby in the sky.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:44 pm

The big baby in the sky is normally a perfectly assured symbol: purity (air), warmth (sun), absolution (rain), and of course wonder and awareness. Such endless condensed potential, the umbilical seed in the sky's mouth so to speak, the infinite infant, a babe in the abyss, etc. This potent archetypal catalyst is perhaps best represented in Kubrick's Starchild from 2001, a cosmic mirror of encompassing specificity.

Cheapened into savage consumerist urges, the Tubbytronic Sun Baby is a mockery of this fundamental potency. Infantilization, one of the primary principles of modern advertising, has less to do with uncovering the calloused lessons of socialization that has dampened our docility to curiosity - that has, by a certain age, rendered patterns of expectations to be taken for granted - than it has to do with a more Pavlovian stimulation of consumption. The anal and the oral stages, I suppose, that the baby ouroborous is stagnated in. It's the highest irony that capitalist pampering has achieved such a culture of cradle-to-grave co-dependency. Working and shopping are considered livelihoods. The biggest fear, though, is being forced to spend time with the person you actually are, sans intermediary recourse.

Unfortunately this is wisdom, and America needs to wise up.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat May 16, 2020 5:40 am

Kuboyama Aikichi is a central witness of the 20th Century. A radio operator aboard the Daigo Fukuryu Maru, the Lucky Dragon #5, he is the first confirmed casualty of a hydrogen weapon. A pivotal presence aboard this tuna-trawling ship, Kuboyama maintained the professorial hub not only through his enthusiastic interest in short-wave radio browsing but also in maintaining the ship's small library of encyclopedias. Not so much a teacher as a conductor of curiosity and knowledge, with an epicurean appetite known from Homer to Melville, from Xu Fu to Zheng He. The eye of the dragon that Kuboyama saw was red, rather than blue, facing west rather than east, at the Castle Bravo Hydrogen Bomb at the Bikini Atoll in 1954. Kuboyama would perish from the shi no hai (death ash) that fell like snow on his vessel. He was a radio-adherent, fascinated by this emerging invisible fluid, dying in bed from radiation exposure while watching the brand new transmission of radiated images of television. Ralph Lapp's 1958 book which documents these last days suggests the wonder and terror of such human miracles as both precious and punishing. The waves of water and valescent vapors, the ripples of residual edges. Catch your breath.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Sat May 16, 2020 8:07 am

Iowa is lost to Trump so I'm voting for the Greens as long as they don't run Jill Stein again. I will downvote for Dems as I leave the party. The Democratic party is less crappy than the GOP but I have gotten tired of them blaming the left all the time for their crappy candidates losing.
This Is My Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat May 16, 2020 8:51 am

This isn't really a thread for Chapo Trap Pricks.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Sun May 17, 2020 5:38 am

This Is My Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon May 18, 2020 4:35 am

Chapo Trap Pricks tend to be clueless.

I'll explain: Despite that I've already mentioned upthread that this isn't intended to be a political thread, and in the sole political post in the thread, I explained making it in order to put the subject to rest (all of which illustrattes nothing more than the clumsiness of not bothering to read the threads in which you post), there is the specific case in point - the quite Chapo-esque notion that Dems are "blaming the left all the time for their crappy candidates losing". That's asinine for a couple of reasons, not least of which is that, in 2016, I'm pretty sure that Dems were blaming the Russians, which doesn't really qualify as "left" these days as they are run by a rather bourgeois multibillionaire who has embraced a severe form of crony capitalism. Next in line for blame? The youth vote who doesn't show up. I assume Bernie is particularly steamed about the latter. But since the Chapo Trap Pricks tend to lace their idealism with apathy, many of them are paradoxically proud of not voting, or engaging in the illusion of democracy, as some have put it. (Someone hasn't informed them of the more prevalent theory of "self-fulfilling prophecy".)

The other side of this fallacy is that there aren't an inordinate number of Democrats losing on the national level. If we were to go back to McGovern in '72 (the first election that the 18-25 did not show up for), then since then we've had about an equal number of Dem victories to Republican, 6 to 5 (and obviously Dems won the popular vote in two of the Pub victories, which complicates the notion even further). You know who hasn't won a national campaign in modern America? Progressive democratic socialists. Not saying they shouldn't, just that there's no existing data to show that they could. So, for all of the blame that Chapo Trap Pricks throw onto the party that they, for some reason, feel owe them policy obligations, for which they refuse to participate...who's blaming whom for what now?
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Sat May 23, 2020 12:08 pm

MadMan, we already have a thread for political talk if you wanna talk about the election

https://corrierino.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=144
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon May 25, 2020 9:14 am

Edward Bernays is another central 20th Century witness, the architect of the eye of advertisement and image perception. This is the true dark arts, the light that sheets the shadow. When you ride the eye 'round the wrist and the hand and heart does what the mouth must. Clap and cracker. Slight slide to right hand.

A bit of a Freudian slip himself and the first corporate fetishist, he understood the importance of threading association, visual and rhetorical sleight-of-hand. The common stream of charlatans being the cold-reading, leading, coercive conducting of instantaneous (perhaps preternatural?) Pavlovian results. The interface of instinct and reflex, the impulse to purpose. These pipelines. The desire engine is designed to purr along avenues of bated restraint. A mass enticement of a specified sight, mesmerized, elucidized and televised, metastasized. Eyes, lies and skies. Thin lithe lines.

Information is like fumes, sometimes we just get a whiff of it.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon May 25, 2020 3:46 pm

Coincidentally, Clap and Cracker is the title of Jeb Bush's upcoming memoirs.
Last Great Movie Seen
Palm Springs (Barbakow, 2020)
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon May 25, 2020 10:33 pm

Torgo wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 3:46 pm
Coincidentally, Clap and Cracker is the title of Jeb Bush's upcoming memoirs.
Jeb is an exceptionally poor magician.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Wed May 27, 2020 11:44 am

I guess the missing link between religious culture and advertisor-laced mass media culture (what the kids softly call 'pop culture') has to be Marshall McLuhan, the founder of the entire school of media philosophy. Maybe I thought he might be too obvious an 'eye', but still an essential observer. The visual syntax of Bernays' shuffling semiotics found fertile soil in post-war American broadcasting. What Aikichi intuited as a powerful venue of education andd communication could be easily be submitted into a platform of Pavlovian impressions. That other too-obvious 20th Century witness, Eric Blair, was fortunate enough to cough himself to death before his worst premonitions were realized.

It's always amused me when athiests, or more literally antitheists, use the pejorative of "mythology" to sweep the leg of religion. They aren't necessarily wrong. Obviously the classical religions are founded on myths, not always unconsciously as Jesus pampered to those "with eyes who cannot see". I like myth. I appreciate myth. I value myth. Mythology is a necessity of human life, a discipline of the compulsively pattern-seeking habit of human mind that is no less inherent or integral to our species today than it was around the campfire. Religion was a brief satiation of this compulsion. Art is another. Today, people fling to the simulation and singularity, extraterrestrial and interdimensional aliens, wars of stars and pajama messiahs. Narrative is a fundamental brick of our evolutionary structure as meaning-creating beings. Post-mass media environment, we take the function for granted and obsess on the shine of the product. Our modern value of myth is intrinsically tied to how much you can afford to spend on the mythical product, a parallel of prosperity gospel that fanboys can afford to consider.

Yesterday, the Wall Street Jourrnal revealed internal research that Facebook's algorithms "exploit the human brain's attraction to divisiveness". When we take into account the extent that human instincts have been pimped by corporations for profit, wonder why there's been such a lock-step succession of mainstream films exploiting political paranoia and natural disaster for the last half-century. Here's some teletubbies to make you feel less erect about armageddon, and, hey, wouldn't it be a lot of fun to elect a clown like Donald Trump as president? Beautiful ratings. Golden Age of Television. Hang on everybody!!!
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Wed May 27, 2020 1:57 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:44 am
"exploit the human brain's attraction to divisiveness"
Bingo
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Wed May 27, 2020 2:57 pm

One of the most profound lesson to me was found in elementary school. What is everyone's favorite number, 1 or 2? Surely enough it created a 50/50 divide, or, close enough. The real answer found in all of this is "why is that your favorite number?" and letting the subjectivity fly. Surely we all have a different answer. Why are all of my interpretations towards this particular novel being marked as "wrong"? Why does the teacher's knowledge trump my own? Hard lessons, I think I understand
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri May 29, 2020 1:01 am

The Nameless One wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:57 pm
One of the most profound lesson to me was found in elementary school. What is everyone's favorite number, 1 or 2?
These were the choices? My favorite number as a child was '3'. Why? Because (honestly) I thought it looked the most like me.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri May 29, 2020 1:13 am

The Nameless One wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:57 pm
Bingo
Obviously, I think we've known this for a long time, but to have the actual documents that spell it out in language that children can understand should be the end of any discussion over the company's motive. The illusion of connectivity, the ersatz intimacy, was really a front for alienation-coerced addiction. Facebook's disreputable "self-censorship" study was done to figure out why more people weren't Pavlovian enough, because the mission was always the delivery of 'likes' to advertisers. It was like Bernays' wet dream dopamine machine.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Fri May 29, 2020 1:41 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 1:01 am
These were the choices? My favorite number as a child was '3'. Why? Because (honestly) I thought it looked the most like me.
Hehehe. Seriously, I have a huge problem with the number "2"

I won't go too far into my meditation today but it involved triangles spinning fast enough to produce a circle, whatever that means. Then on the news they featured Toronto who is painting round social distancing markers in the fields, just a grid of circles in the middle of nature. That hit me in a weird nerve
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Fri May 29, 2020 2:07 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 1:13 am
Obviously, I think we've known this for a long time, but to have the actual documents that spell it out in language that children can understand should be the end of any discussion over the company's motive. The illusion of connectivity, the ersatz intimacy, was really a front for alienation-coerced addiction. Facebook's disreputable "self-censorship" study was done to figure out why more people weren't Pavlovian enough, because the mission was always the delivery of 'likes' to advertisers. It was like Bernays' wet dream dopamine machine.
It's been my conflict, of sorts, to limit my connection to the internet while sustaining the idea of it's importance. This is a dense forest and I'm a gatherer... I need fruit and I need wood for tools, the first tool being something to protect myself with... there are webs everywhere and if I send one fiber quivering the spiders will come