Sex! Now that I have your attention, Covid is happening

Discuss anything you want.
The Nameless One

Sex! Now that I have your attention, Covid is happening

Post by The Nameless One » Fri May 22, 2020 4:01 am

Hello, dear friends, it seems as if the Mayans and ceremonial magicians were a little off and the singularity came a touch late. Yes, it's the end of the world (as we know it). Things are unimaginably fucked, wow. So what's all next? Have you been studying your hard futureshock sci-fi? Is your mind filled with potential dystopian hellscapes? Do you understand the progression of democracy into anarchy? Have you seen End of Evangelion? Alright, maybe I'm being a touch dramatic (as I listen to Peter Gabriel belt out "Here Comes the Flood" in German), but who knows! Do you know? Once in a rare while I feel like I have the day figured out and Zach Snyder swoops in and announces the Snyder Cut, SHIT IS CRAZY. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

*Breaths*

These are philosophically fertile times we find ourselves in. I have a lot swelling around my head and it's either have that anxiety stir around in me or spell it out somewhere. If that rings your bell please share this space, it's all yours - there is at least one person here who is keen to hear what you have to say about all of this. Frankly, I feel better knowing that at least one of you are stuck inside and musing on the internet as opposed to going around and spreading contagion, you filthy animals.

I do have one pressing question to start things off in here, what the hell is going to happen to cinema? Is Avengers: Endgame literally the last movie ever? Is America going to go full anime? Are we destined to pay $40 for Trolls sequels featuring the few sane celebrities still functioning and in order to watch it you have to watch seven separate parts all divided in between different streaming services? The mind boggles!
crumbsroom

Re: Sex! Now that I have your attention, Covid is happening

Post by crumbsroom » Fri May 22, 2020 4:26 am

I'm suffering terrible guilt over the last three months being the first time in twenty years I'm not crippled by anxiety and am generally happy. Less substance abuse and a generally positive attitude on focusing only on what I can control.

Go figure.
Ergill

Post by Ergill » Fri May 22, 2020 4:46 am

I chuckled.
crumbsroom wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:26 am
I'm suffering terrible guilt over the last three months being the first time in twenty years I'm not crippled by anxiety and am generally happy. Less substance abuse and a generally positive attitude on focusing only on what I can control.

Go figure.
Total Melancholia vibes.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri May 22, 2020 4:56 am

Ergill wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:46 am
I chuckled.

Total Melancholia vibes.
Lol.

It's how it feels. With the exception of one friend, who is relishing this for different reasons, I try to refrain from telling anyone this has been a pretty ideal couple of months for me. Mostly because all my other friends, and probably lots of other people too, are in different circles of hell.

Contentment is a bad look right now, it seems
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Fri May 22, 2020 5:43 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:26 am

Go figure.
I don't think you have anything to feel guilty over - self governance is key in this time, you are doing a great service to your environment by keeping yourself focused on the limits of your control. Around two months ago my anxiety spiked through the roof and got on the phone with my doctor and we figured out an ideal medication which has helped tremendously, I'm doing the best I've ever been. Now, I'm no saint, I'm a shaman and I need my allies (a term generated from the teachings of Don Juan via Carlos Castenada) in the form of my coffee/herb mixtures, tobacco, marijuana, and the occasional ritualistic dives into hallucinogens (I watched the first three episodes of The Midnight Gospel on magic mushroom infused gummies and cried a bunch, it was great). I'm not ashamed of feeling some degree of good in all of this, it took 29 years of ??? to get to this point, I've been to Hell and back and then back to Hell because I forgot my keys and then I went home and 2020 lit my house on fire so whatever, hey demons it's me ya boy. However, my Hell is Heaven to an extraordinary amount of people, that body of perspective is an abyss which is essential to cross. I have to be deadly careful with venting my grievances because I'm currently not evacuating a burst dam or a cyclone in the midst of this pandemic. Victorians are thrilled today because a small tornado touched down and sent a trampoline flying. We haven't had a covid case in a month. There is a great deal to this which I do not understand. Why does Clancy visit planets on the brink of annihilation? He has a pretty cozy situation figured out from the gist of things, I find it as admirable as I do questionable that he would sacrifice his comfort in favor of exploring these perspectives, it's borderline masochistic. I question if he finds thrill in it, in going right to the brink of no return before hammering on the eject button as the source of the newfound perspective he absorbed gets turned to ash. I'm only half way through the series, it's inspired the most amazing questions so thank you for turning me onto it. My parents love it as well, I always appreciate when I can offer them a drug free drug trip because they are a couple squares from Alberta who get gooned on 10mgs of THC

Cinema is an empathy machine as Roger Ebert has said. We are explorers and cartographers of perspective. It's noble work, we're all doing our best to lay out our pathway forward and we all need guidance, any little bit of this work helps because it translates into our realities. I have no idea what most of you are on about 99% of the time in regards to your respective knowledge, you people fucking astonish me, it's positively thrilling after all of these years and it's unaccountable how much of it has shaped my own path. I've been doing this for more than half of my life and I've never lost the sense that it's working towards whatever my purpose is. If my purpose is distracting a few of you for a few moments during strange times, dammit, I have to account for that victory. I performed a magic trick, everyone!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri May 22, 2020 6:13 am

I don't know where you live, but America is going to get a lot worse.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri May 22, 2020 6:17 am

Wooley wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:13 am
I don't know where you live, but America is going to get a lot worse.
Me and Nameless are Canadian (I believe). Which probably means, inevitably, we're fucked too.

But let's think of today.

Think of today.

Think

today
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri May 22, 2020 6:25 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:17 am
Me and Nameless are Canadian (I believe). Which probably means, inevitably, we're fucked too.

But let's think of today.

Think of today.

Think

today
Man, I may have to come join y'all. And I'm not being alarmist, I have a friend who's a CEO of a small but successful company and another who's an attorney in International Law in D.C., and they both are like, "America is going down, FAST. Be prepared and have a plan for how you're going to live going forward because there may not be another legitimate presidential election in American history and after this upcoming election (which they both feel is already in the bag), the legislative elections will become compromised as well and the Supreme Court is already fully in the hands of the current power-elite, so..." Yeah, America is going down as a legitimate Democratic Society and it has a LOT of firepower. Tremble.
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Fri May 22, 2020 6:41 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:17 am
I'm surprised we even got an extra month of border closure with Donald "Normalcy" Trump running around down there, he's just raring to open those flood gates and hoo boy... :shifty:
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri May 22, 2020 6:52 am

The Nameless One wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:41 am
I'm surprised we even got an extra month of border closure with Donald "Normalcy" Trump running around down there, he's just raring to open those flood gates and hoo boy... :shifty:
Well, the pandemic can be used in a lot of ways, to consolidate even more wealth at the very top (American billionaires have seen their net worth increase by an average of 15% despite the stock market dropping by 5000 points, which of course left middle-class Americans wondering where their retirement went. So more Americans will have to work longer and more will have to work multiple jobs to make ends meet. But it can also be used as a Fog Of War, as Trump's Justice Department has released Manafort and is now dismissing charges against the Russians implicated in the Mueller Report. Investment capitalists are sharpening their fangs for small-businesses and property-owners to be forced to sell by the pandemic so they can buy them up and consolidate businesses and property, both commercial and private... And there's more, I'm just too sleepy to keep posting.
This is a dark, dark, and likely historic time in the turn of America toward a ONE-PARTY, oligarchical, corporatocracist State. End Times, mes amis.
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Fri May 22, 2020 7:40 am

Wooley wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:25 am
Man, I may have to come join y'all. And I'm not being alarmist, I have a friend who's a CEO of a small but successful company and another who's an attorney in International Law in D.C., and they both are like, "America is going down, FAST. Be prepared and have a plan for how you're going to live going forward because there may not be another legitimate presidential election in American history and after this upcoming election (which they both feel is already in the bag), the legislative elections will become compromised as well and the Supreme Court is already fully in the hands of the current power-elite, so..." Yeah, America is going down as a legitimate Democratic Society and it has a LOT of firepower. Tremble.
I'm trembling, Vancouver is a big portal between America and Canada - BC had the first covid case in Canada via American transmission. The longer this problem perpetuates the worse it gets for us. I'm in "worst case scenario" mode, my parents could go bankrupt if we aren't careful, the island's food supply is very vulnerable, I'm looking at the 50 million hunger deaths projected by the end of the year and I could very well be one of them. I might be fending off my delicious looking cat from my neighbors with a hunting knife if this gets ugly. Canada might have a relative handle at the moment but this is just getting started. It's difficult for me to balance pessimism and realism. I don't want to trigger despair. But, I do not want any of you to be caught off guard more than we already are. My mom drive is going full force and I'm really worried about all of you, hard lessons need to be taught and fast
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Fri May 22, 2020 7:42 am

Goodnight Wooley, all, will reply tomorrow. <3
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Fri May 22, 2020 3:25 pm

THE ECONOMY

Reports are coming in already that BC's "reopening" is flaring concern, people are split on whether or not they want to shop at unessential businesses. So said businesses are competing for 25% capacity and the potential customer base has been slashed in half. Going shopping is not a simple process, typically it takes me ten minutes to grocery shop and now the process is closer to an hour. Really, if you aren't a grocery store the ideal is that you are local and offer online shopping (which isn't fully ideal because the postal service is compromised). If you are a grocery store, do you have a delivery service? Can I order online? The answer, currently, is compromised because of demand. We need more delivery drivers, it's unsustainable having to plan shops a week ahead. My rhythm is screwed, ideally I'd like to go to the grocery store every couple days to tailor my meals with fresh food... now I try to stock up for two weeks in order to minimize outings. Every one of those outings jacks my fight or flight right up, and it's not just me it's everyone. The energy is whack, the frequencies are wavering out of sync. Rent isn't cheap in Victoria, our economy leans heavy on boutique business. The economy generated by cruise ships is done. Frankly, we need people to come over via the ferry but those fuckers don't have any covid screening protocols yet, and that's a big yet given it's a privately owned company also competing for capacity. My parents designed our living environment to accommodate international students attending the university which is 10 minutes away, the university is closed indefinitely and our rooms are emptying faster than we can fill them. Frankly, I wouldn't want to live in a shared suite right now. We are operating on the same thin margins as any capacity based business and my parents keep seeming to fall between the cracks of what Canada's support benefits covers. I've been figuring out how best to approach biting the bullet with my parents and that this life we've built is on the fritz and that we need to downsize. The only relevant tarot card right now is death, death is change
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri May 22, 2020 4:35 pm

I live in Kensington Market in Toronto and the area has been decimated. It's all open markets, restaurants, used clothing stores and bars. It's a ghost town, and these were already independent business owners who were struggling against the demand to be evicted because landlords here want to jack the rent to astronomical heights and gentrify the area.

I'm not even currently staying at my home, and am only going back this weekend to visit it for a few days and make sure nothing has gone haywire there. But I'm anxious over how depressed it will be to see this neighborhood I love gutted like this. I'm unsure if the commumity will even be able to survive, which will likely chase me from the city I've lived in most of my adult life.

I'm embracing the notion of change in my own personal life. That can be managed, something which I normally would have never considered it to be. But thinking about the ramifications to this everywhere else is a bit too much to take in. And so I generally have been burying my head in the sand.
Rock

Post by Rock » Fri May 22, 2020 5:21 pm

Can you check if Cosme San Torteria is still open? That place was the bomb.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Fri May 22, 2020 5:49 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:35 pm
I live in Kensington Market in Toronto and the area has been decimated. It's all open markets, restaurants, used clothing stores and bars. It's a ghost town, and these were already independent business owners who were struggling against the demand to be evicted because landlords here want to jack the rent to astronomical heights and gentrify the area.

I'm not even currently staying at my home, and am only going back this weekend to visit it for a few days and make sure nothing has gone haywire there. But I'm anxious over how depressed it will be to see this neighborhood I love gutted like this. I'm unsure if the commumity will even be able to survive, which will likely chase me from the city I've lived in most of my adult life.

I'm embracing the notion of change in my own personal life. That can be managed, something which I normally would have never considered it to be. But thinking about the ramifications to this everywhere else is a bit too much to take in. And so I generally have been burying my head in the sand.
Tens of millions unemployed or underemployed. How many tens of thousands of small business going under forever? Walmart, Amazon, Zoom, and the rest of the nouveau riche capitalist gang making out like bandits. New businesses can come back and new businesses will sprout up, but to think of busting your ass for years to serve your community and pay your employees and to get inadequate help from your government and to be held in fucking contempt by the general public who thinks that you wanting to survive is just your greed flaunting public health and safety. It's an impossible situation.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri May 22, 2020 6:43 pm

Rock wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:21 pm
Can you check if Cosme San Torteria is still open? That place was the bomb.
It's still technically there. I will look on the weekend when I'm there if it is actually open. It could be doing pick up service because I feel a few things might have slowly begun opening since last time I was there. . But who knows. A few businesses on my street have already packed up, where I dropped by a few weeks ago.

And, yes, it's the bomb. Right next to Seven Lives Tacos which is an even bigger bomb. And then Rasta Pasta Jerk Chicken.

If I stop living in this area, my life is going to suck.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Fri May 22, 2020 7:11 pm

We're living through I Am Legend (the book version). There's pre-Covid people (a population that is going extinct because everyone is gong to get it sooner or later) and post-Covid people with the former desperately trying to avoid becoming the latter.
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Fri May 22, 2020 7:52 pm

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:11 pm
We're living through I Am Legend (the book version). There's pre-Covid people (a population that is going extinct because everyone is gong to get it sooner or later) and post-Covid people with the former desperately trying to avoid becoming the latter.
RE: The former desperately trying to avoid becoming the later. Quite honestly, it sounds nice if we even reach that point. I feel like the hunger crisis will catch up before then, it's already emerging - namely Lebanon where civil unrest boiled over. The hungry poor is going after the rich, covid isn't a factor if the math becomes unaccountable amidst the chaos, all bets are off at that point. If people were going crazy building bomb shelters in wake of the Cold War tensions, well, this is worse, and MAD isn't off the table given how the world is looking at China. Really, Covid is the least of my worries
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Fri May 22, 2020 8:09 pm

But hey, I'm alive and that's what matters most right now. There's work to be done, I'm not staring at that equation and thinking "welp, time to set up the lawn chairs and wait until the end". Who knows, maybe I should have faith towards the global effort to quell this disaster.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Fri May 22, 2020 8:18 pm

The Nameless One wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:52 pm
RE: The former desperately trying to avoid becoming the later. Quite honestly, it sounds nice if we even reach that point. I feel like the hunger crisis will catch up before then, it's already emerging - namely Lebanon where civil unrest boiled over. The hungry poor is going after the rich, covid isn't a factor if the math becomes unaccountable amidst the chaos, all bets are off at that point. If people were going crazy building bomb shelters in wake of the Cold War tensions, well, this is worse, and MAD isn't off the table given how the world is looking at China. Really, Covid is the least of my worries
Covid, by my lights, appears to be an accelerator. Same overall trends, but speeding it all up. What we hoped would be far down the road is now waiting for us at the next exit.

I think we will still have access to calories in the U.S. and Canada, but that the price of poker will be going up. More money spent on food. Increasing food insecurity. I can't imagine our part of the world not having enough empty calories to go around. We have so many crises converging right now (I think I hear the infrastructure crisis clearing its throat rather loudly in Michigan) that the Covid economic shut down is an effective catalyst.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Fri May 22, 2020 9:52 pm

m’yeah this has been a very odd experience in that relative to most people, I’ve had to do a lot less adjusting. I already live a fairly withdrawn, introverted lifestyle. not because I love that kind of life but because I am so weighed down with existential terror about our environmental crisis that not only is my will to live a productive life sapped away but I’ve more or less designed my life that I can mostly live my life within a five mile radius. because the thought of getting into a car and driving to do something fun a few towns over sends me into intense guilt spirals (and I’m sure if I could master teleportation I have now picked up a lot of agoraphobic and OCD tendencies). this is how I’ve managed to watch so many movies.

I don’t enjoy it and I doubt the people who are now experiencing similar panic over another invisible threat are loving it either. I’m sorry I don’t have the wisdom to offer any coping mechanisms since pre-pandemic I had yet to find a good balance between living responsibly and living for oneself. but I found that mentally not much has changed…. I don’t know if that’s a good thing but it’s not a bad thing in that there have been fewer new problems for myself. heck, even the idea of a pandemic caused by an animal virus jumping to humans wasn’t an unfamiliar prospect. people have said, the more we encroach on the natural world, the more likely these things could happen. I am definitely more of a Kirsten than a Charlotte but I’m going to look back years from now and regret all the weddings I ruined because I was too low and sour. I’m already regretting it now.
the talk of what the covid is accelerating does sit uneasy….. I almost have to force my mind elsewhere, to the present, so long as that’s healthy. I dunno. I really don’t. I can't imagine the world living this way until there is a vaccine but the thought of things getting worse after relaxing containment measures is a lot. guess we'll all find out together how we handle it.

statistically I am not at high risk so much of my worry is directed at my quadriplegic friend who breaths with the help of a tube in his throat. obviously he and his parents are doing as little outside the house as possible but if he gets a health problem that forces him out of the house and into a medical facility, I’m sure one can only imagine the stress.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat May 23, 2020 2:02 am

I was under the impression a response to me was in this thread... :shifty:
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat May 23, 2020 2:06 am

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:52 pm
the more we encroach on the natural world, the more likely these things could happen.
Dude, we are nature. This is the natural world we live in. Conversely, I think that a great deal of our current environmental problems (at the very least) are due to a delusion that we should, or even could, be separated from "the natural world".
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat May 23, 2020 2:21 am

Fri May 22, 2020 5:49 pm
to think of busting your ass for years to serve your community and pay your employees and to get inadequate help from your government and to be held in fucking contempt by the general public who thinks that you wanting to survive is just your greed flaunting public health and safety. It's an impossible situation.
Hm, I get the sentiment (as I'm a currently "furloughed" small business employee), but there's been enough evidence to show that these "open up freedom" protesters are being astroturfed by a number of sheerly political interests. Or religious ("I cut heads for the Lord", types). I haven't seen anything but support for local suffering small businesses, as opposed to the contempt they have for assholes who are too tough to wear a mask at Costco. It also sucks to bust your ass to serve your community for years and get a terminal disease because someone wants the freedom to not cover their mouth when they cough on your establishment.

But it is an impossible situation, as it has currently unraveled. Those Peter Navarro memos from January have proven to be eerily prescient, so we can no longer pretend that this was completely unforseen. The inescapable fact is that preparations for the shutdown, including federal subsidies for impacted small businesses and their employees, should have been put into place by the end of February, rather than shocking the entire system mid-March once the inevitable could no longer be denied. By focusing on the Dow, and on prioritizing the bailout of the largest corporations, it's the administration that's shown the most contempt for these small community businesses that they are now exploiting to get their numbers erect.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Sat May 23, 2020 2:36 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:06 am
Dude, we are nature. This is the natural world we live in. Conversely, I think that a great deal of our current environmental problems (at the very least) are due to a delusion that we should, or even could, be separated from "the natural world".
maybe I should have said "encroaching on previously untouched wilderness" which could lead to more novel viruses. I'm not saying that is how this pandemic started, just that the general idea wasn't foreign to me.
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Sat May 23, 2020 2:56 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:02 am
I was under the impression a response to me was in this thread... :shifty:
lol I quickly lost (read: lose) track. I've been slacking today, wanted to watch Millennium Actress with my parents and lordy it's hard carving 90 minutes out of what's all been going on. I gotta pace myself or the physics of the thread will become insurmountable and I won't be able to keep up! Like, here I was planning on taking this all slow and calm and we're already in the I Am Legend phase of things
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Sat May 23, 2020 3:10 am

Coffee, holy basil, gotu kola, cacao... time for some posts!
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Sat May 23, 2020 3:14 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:21 am
Hm, I get the sentiment (as I'm a currently "furloughed" small business employee),

Sorry to hear that. Sincerely.
Jinnistan wrote:
but there's been enough evidence to show that these "open up freedom" protesters are being astroturfed by a number of sheerly political interests.
It's hard to know what is real these days. Ever since 2016 things have seemed to keep getting weirder and weirder. Our whole world seems like a poorly written tragi-comedy. That stated, however, I have noticed that people are much more likely to suspect foul play when it is the "other" side. I have been accused of being a bot, a shill, a commie, a fascist, a Trumptard, a Libtard, a Russian agent, a Chinese agent, etc. People are increasingly suspect of honest disagreement. That's too bad, because it makes us that much more likely to be dismissive of disagreement (which is, in itself, a great psyop strategy).

I don't think you're wrong. I am sure that have been manipulated by shit that leans into my confirmation bias and I am sure that bad parties are pushing for us act irrationally. But I don't think that bars and restaurants and salons are trying to reopen simply because of a conspiracy. The most obvious explanation is that these people are being squeezed and have to choose between losing everything they've built and getting a ticket and/or public shaming. I do not envy these people.
Jinnistan wrote:
I haven't seen anything but support for local suffering small businesses,
Emotional support is nice, but it doesn't keep you from going out of business. We're letting small businesses get screwed. A lot of people are going under. America has 38 million (!!!) unemployed and just printing money is a great way to devalue your currency.
Jinnistan wrote:
as opposed to the contempt they have for assholes who are too tough to wear a mask at Costco.

I feel you. When this shit was getting started I had to go to the hardware store to do an emergency home fix. Dude who helped me was in my space and coughed without covering his mouth. And it seemed like I was being trolled a bit. Seemed like he took just a little bit of pleasure out of my obvious physical discomfort. And then I saw videos of people licking ice cream.

If Costco is good enough to open. If the employees are being good enough to serve you so that you, risking their health, the least you can do is mask up and STFU. The customer is not always right.
Jinnistan wrote:
But it is an impossible situation, as it has currently unraveled.

That's the burly bitch of it all.
Jinnistan wrote:
Those Peter Navarro memos from January have proven to be eerily prescient, so we can no longer pretend that this was completely unforseen. The inescapable fact is that preparations for the shutdown, including federal subsidies for impacted small businesses and their employees, should have been put into place by the end of February, rather than shocking the entire system mid-March once the inevitable could no longer be denied. By focusing on the Dow, and on prioritizing the bailout of the largest corporations, it's the administration that's shown the most contempt for these small community businesses that they are now exploiting to get their numbers erect.
I don't think you're wrong. Then again, what would Hillary or another corporate democrat have done? My guess is that rich people would still have protected the rich and that the response, while possibly better, would have still been fumbling.

I don't know how much longer the ultrarich can continue to stick it to everyone else. It seems to me that millions of people are going to get mired ever more deeply into debt slavery over this mess. We need a jubilee, a straight up cancellation of debts. Our bullshit economy is out of control. It feels like we're playing a game of monopoly with a sadistic older sibling who owns all the property on the board, but who won't let the game end. "Just go a little further in debt, I'll give you a pass on Park Place this time..."
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat May 23, 2020 3:36 am

Sat May 23, 2020 3:14 am
It's hard to know what is real these days.
Like I said, there's evidence.

Emotional support is nice, but it doesn't keep you from going out of business. We're letting small businesses get screwed.
"We", kemosabe? I don't see that. We, writ pop, don't have very much to say about that. The virus is real and dangerous. The problem is that the current administration, and a decisive chunk of Congress, is ideologically predisposed to neglecting any federal role for social welfare.

A prime example of this is recently when Trump was congratulating the Federal Reserve head Powell by saying that he had "finally" gotten around to seeing things correctly, ie lowering interest rates to nothing. The obvious flaw in the thinking here is that what would Powell have had to work with if he had already lowered interest rates to nothing last year. Same as prematurely ignoring the pandemic playbook, shuttering the pandemic office at NSC, closing the CDC liason in China, closing the USAID PREVENT program. Obviously, they were not about to spend money that "we" consumers could no longer spend on these local livlihoods. The blame is being entirely misplaced.

Then again, what would Hillary or another corporate democrat have done?
Sure, it was dumb of Pelosi to be hanging around Chinatown, but, if we have to compare, the H1N1 outburst cost the US about 12,000 lives in 2009, while we're currently looking at a possible 350K by the end of the year now. Yes, this new coronavirus is more virulent and deadly, but I have a little more faith in competant governance. I mean, it was George W's team who wrote the damned pandemic playbook that Trump ignored, so I don't see any reason to be partisan about it.
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Sat May 23, 2020 4:10 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:39 pm
It's definitely been frustrating. The asymptomatic stuff has been especially difficult for the general public here to comprehend, and you still occasionally see some doofus with a "I don't need a mask, I feel fine!" attitude. I read pretty early on that this virus has an abnormally long incubation period of up to two weeks. This should have been stressed more in the media, just pounded into people's psyches, because this is particularly what makes the virus so virulent. An infected person can have it, not know, and continue to spread it for two weeks before showing symptoms (with a percentage of them never showing symptoms, but still spreading it). The inability of people to understand the implications of this is partly a problem of our broken media (and obviously Trump's example), because common sense doesn't work for unprecedented conditions. People assume that this acts like every other cold/flu virus. Immunity is another misconception (Rand Paul's "I'm the safest man in Washington!"), because, although there's been a couple of promising studies recently, there's still no guarantee that a person can't be reinfected, even within a matter of weeks, or be able to spread it after recovery. There's a lot that's still in the woods.
I think in laying out this logic you can quickly understand the futility of the situation. Straight up, from what we know at this point, this virus infects people subjectively - there might be common symptoms but this attacks everyone differently. There is a report of a Vancouver woman who has had covid twice along with the sketchy South Korean reports of cases reemerging in patients (So, is the world supplied with tests which are 100% accurate? Oh dear...), there are reports of people developing psychosis after infection (28 Days Later, anyone?), there is this kawasaki-like syndrome found in children, as far as I'm concerned we don't know shit about fuck long term in regards to how this thing works. Psychosis aside, they will need to develop a new definition for the psychological trauma of having covid. Can you imagine being hit with the news that you have been an asymptomatic spreader for two weeks? This is a time of overwhelming empathy. Right now, I love my enemies, I can't carry my hatred like this or it will consume me. I must love the possibility that any one of you could spell my end, and that in the end it's my fault. It's all my fault.
Some Americans (it's worth noting that polls show a solid majority are more wary of reopening too fast) have a weird definition of "freedom". They don't think of it as a legal term, civil liberties, etc. They see it in the more selfish "I do what I want!", which invariably tends to infringe on someone else's rights. I haven't seen any of the neo-Tea morons acknowledge the civil right of the 90K dead to not be infected with a preventable disease. Where's their freedoms? Instead, there's an ugly Darwinism that appeals to transactional sociopaths like Trump that can only be matched by the ugly (and still somewhat transactional) conspiracisms of someone like Elon Musk.
So, it's all my fault, great, but I have a legion of post-American marauders staring me down and all that stands between them and me is a knife. Do I just succumb? Or cut God Himself?
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Sat May 23, 2020 4:23 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:36 am
Like I said, there's evidence.
I'm not spoiling for a fight here. I mean, we can debate for shits and giggles, but like I said, I know that this stuff is also happening.
Jinnistan wrote:
"We", kemosabe? I don't see that. We, writ pop, don't have very much to say about that.
Fair cop.
Jinnistan wrote:
The virus is real and dangerous. The problem is that the current administration, and a decisive chunk of Congress, is ideologically predisposed to neglecting any federal role for social welfare.
Shutting down the economy for months on end is also dangerous. Again, I don't think you're wrong. It just seems that we're really jammed up. There is no good way out of this mess, but I sense the rich people will be getting on the life boats, while we get life preservers filled with debt.
Jinnistan wrote:
Sure, it was dumb of Pelosi to be hanging around Chinatown, but, if we have to compare, the H1N1 outburst cost the US about 12,000 lives in 2009, while we're currently looking at a possible 350K by the end of the year now. Yes, this new coronavirus is more virulent and deadly, but I have a little more faith in competant governance. I mean, it was George W's team who wrote the damned pandemic playbook that Trump ignored, so I don't see any reason to be partisan about it.
I don't have that faith, I guess.
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Sat May 23, 2020 5:07 am

No fighting everyone, or, maybe that's just inevitable and let the feathers fly. So let me take this opportunity to talk about how information is a virus. It's interesting right? I'm already at the point where I can't possibly keep up with the threads present within this thread. We're simply not approaching this effectively - effectively being that we split this discussion into a number of threads regarding individual aspects of covid. Frankly, I'm not the captain of this ship, there is no hand on this rudder. It's the same feeling of the inherent limitations of watching, say, CNN. Motherfuckers have been on about hydroxychloriquine for the past two weeks and it's like FOCUS. This is not a linear matter, it's a matter which requires 20 tabs open in order to keep up. You wonder why people gravitate towards the one youtube video by the one guy who sells homeopathic remedies online who confirms their biases. The biggest Twitch streamer went on a covid truthing spree and there are 30k people arguing in his chat about it. How many of those people are walking away with an emboldened sense of this? By doing that, Dr. Disrespect is attached to death. He provoked the physics of the situation, democratized it. Someone died, or caused the death of someone, in wake of what he communicated online to an audience. The covid virus is in our heads, I'm going to retract saying that this is philosophically fertile grounds. This is a philosophical crisis, a psychological crisis. Again, Victoria doesn't have a covid problem, the damage has already been done. The virus in our heads is reverberating and will destroy everything it embodies unless we carefully, surgically approach this issue... and fast. The scientific endeavor on display is the most amazing and humbling thing.
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Sat May 23, 2020 5:33 am

Shit, it may already be too late and I, myself, have fucked the lot of you by getting in your heads. Maybe ignorance is bliss, having the wool pulled over your eyes as you are led into the field and dealt with by the Higher Order. Sorry for force feeding you the purple pill. Sorry for waking the sleeping giant. Whoops. How am I ever going to live with myself?

Goodnight, everyone <3
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat May 23, 2020 8:19 am

Sat May 23, 2020 4:23 am
I'm not spoiling for a fight here.
Me either. I'm just providing information.

Shutting down the economy for months on end is also dangerous.
I agree. Which is why I'm concerned with how abrubtly it was done.

I don't have that faith, I guess.
Faith in what, exactly? Because a lot of the "resistence" has been a lack of faith in "experts", "scientists" and the like. When you have a government that has proudly extinguished itself of such hoodlum, then I suppose you have some kind of faith-based calvary, which may explain their priority on preserving congregational rights.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat May 23, 2020 8:29 am

The Nameless One wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:10 am
there are reports of people developing psychosis after infection
I haven't heard about this, could you link please?
The Nameless One wrote:
in the end it's my fault. It's all my fault.
Aw, let me be your Robin Williams and assure you it's definitely not.
The Nameless One wrote:
Or cut God Himself?
Some Bowie wisdom: I could fly into the God on High, His burning Eye will see me through
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Sat May 23, 2020 3:59 pm

Thank you, Janson, my soul's frequency is currently at a flatline.

Here's the link

here's the simplified article

I'm sure the majority of you have been subject to my numerous psychotic episodes over the years, I've been diagnosed and hospitalized for it, I've been on awful anti-psychotics whose side-effects I'm still trying to recover from. This is not a path people want to go down, hooooly, you ever treked across town with your precious cat who you are trying to protect in your carrier looking for a safe place to hide from literally everyone trying to kill you, imagining each huge truck driving by having a torture chamber in the back where they are going to skin you and throw you in a vat of vinegar, before ending up in a hospital for a month? Shit, it doesn't take an apocalypse to send people's imagination hurdling into reality, this is bad
topherH

Post by topherH » Sat May 23, 2020 10:11 pm

Haven't had this much sex in years to be honest. Carry on.
State of Siege |Gavras, 1972| +
Deadpool |Miller, 2016| +
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sun May 24, 2020 1:44 am

It doesn't seem like they can tell yet whether it's caused by Covid or the medications, or the "psychosocial stress" surrounding all of this, and most likely a combination of everything. In general, given the scale and ramifications and the shock and instability to the system this has caused, I can easily see a lot of borderline people going bonkers over it. I'm not quite psychotic, but it's been a pretty shaky ride for me so far.

The Nameless One wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:59 pm
I'm sure the majority of you have been subject to my numerous psychotic episodes over the years, I've been diagnosed and hospitalized for it, I've been on awful anti-psychotics whose side-effects I'm still trying to recover from. This is not a path people want to go down, hooooly, you ever treked across town with your precious cat who you are trying to protect in your carrier looking for a safe place to hide from literally everyone trying to kill you, imagining each huge truck driving by having a torture chamber in the back where they are going to skin you and throw you in a vat of vinegar, before ending up in a hospital for a month? Shit, it doesn't take an apocalypse to send people's imagination hurdling into reality, this is bad
Well, I wish you the best at taking care of yourself, Who Shall Remain Nameless.
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Sun May 24, 2020 3:29 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:44 am
It doesn't seem like they can tell yet whether it's caused by Covid or the medications, or the "psychosocial stress" surrounding all of this, and most likely a combination of everything. In general, given the scale and ramifications and the shock and instability to the system this has caused, I can easily see a lot of borderline people going bonkers over it. I'm not quite psychotic, but it's been a pretty shaky ride for me so far.
That's what I gleaned. I'm not going to doom and gloom over it but just say that I'm taking BC's covid survey regarding my mental health. I'm taking medication for my covid-induced anxiety, good stuff which isn't psychoactive but stabilizes my heart rhythm which deters my fight or flight response. It's done a number on keeping the floodgates of my mind closed, so to speak. Maybe there is a science there which is applicable where this is as effective at managing my anxiety as it is keeping my psychosis at bay, this information could help someone so I will communicate it with my doctor as well and see what he thinks. I'll do what I can do
Well, I wish you the best at taking care of yourself, Who Shall Remain Nameless.
You too, Janson. I'm doing the best I can with the hands I've been dealt.
The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Sun May 24, 2020 3:34 am

It's funny because my original suggestion to my doctor for anxiety medication was "loranzepam"... an idea I gleaned from playing Metal Gear Solid as a kid, it was a usable item to stabilize your sniper aiming :shifty:. Soldier application was what I was looking for. I'm like, shit, going to costco feels like storming Juno beach so I probably need to keep my head straight in order to navigate this storm

Yeah, probably don't want to fuck with loranzepam :shifty: