Sex! Now that I have your attention, Covid is happening

Discuss anything you want.
Oxnard Montalvo

Re: Sex! Now that I have your attention, Covid is happening

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:25 pm

god dammit, there was supposed to be a lull in cases for the summer months. give us time to get ready for autumn.

Nameless, I will not be mad if your government imposes a travel ban on US citizens.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:29 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:25 pm
god dammit, there was supposed to be a lull in cases for the summer months. give us time to get ready for autumn.

Nameless, I will not be mad if your government imposes a travel ban on US citizens.
Despite my vitriol and sense of warning, I'm deeply concerned about all of the American friends on here.
I'm sure the bulk of you know that, er, if you want to lay low in BC you can likely get across the border under the pretense that you are going to Alaska :shifty:
I hate saying things like this and knowing that I'm not necessarily joking. It's maybe impossible to make light of this stuff, it's an absolutely horrid period of human history
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:31 pm

Like, how far I've gone is basically blinking at "38k cases" in America before going to nightmare filled bed. It wasn't surprising to me, and that's the worst feeling. Like, oh, that was your worst day yet? Makes total sense, ugh
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:36 pm

The Nameless Two wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:29 pm
Despite my vitriol and sense of warning, I'm deeply concerned about all of the American friends on here.
I'm sure the bulk of you know that, er, if you want to lay low in BC you can likely get across the border under the pretense that you are going to Alaska :shifty:
I hate saying things like this and knowing that I'm not necessarily joking. It's maybe impossible to make light of this stuff, it's an absolutely horrid period of human history
I have a high-school acquaintance currently living in Florida. during our conversations on social media he has expressed support for a herd immunity strategy and harshly criticized the criticism of Trump (e.g. mentioning the virus's disproportionate impact on non-white Americans and its possible influence on Trump's response prompted a "shame how the left panders with race"). I've seen people post the Plandemic conspiracy video, champion Sweden's response, share memes about people becoming hospitalized for breathing in their own carbon dioxide due to mask-wearing, etc. one person shared a piece about the lockdown's impact on mental health and I ought to be sympathetic given my own experiences with voluntary isolation. however there wasn't much about the risk of worsening the mental health crisis if the re-openings were to be mishandled and we end up with a larger death toll (as the author's only prescription was to re-open). also the headline was likely not accurate either.

I don't engage with all of it, really just the stuff that comes on my own social media page. but just to read it is very exhausting. I don't blame you for feeling frustrated at watching our country burn itself down.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:38 pm

I really ought to be using this time to do more reading/movie watching or at least go for a bike ride but the motivation just isn't there.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:45 pm

My best advice is sympathy and not losing your ears over opposing sentiment... when times are especially tough, they become attached to the leader's guidance who is... in my very strict opinion... doing about all he can to mitigate the American psychology while, er... yeah, I can't go too far with this thought process but I'm not entirely convinced that America has any other option but to bite the bullet and just... be careful if you can. You know what's up, attend to your own bubble, and try not to let it all get to you. I'm doing my best trying to peel away from the narrative but damn it's hard. It feels like I've won the lottery when I sit down and do something brainless for a bit
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:50 pm

When it comes to Covid, it's hard to call anyone a murderer, even the sentiments such as politicizing the mask... the mask idea straight up doesn't work, BC understands this, it's 100% voluntary which means that only certain businesses can get away with proper safety measures. The mask only works when everyone is wearing one and, dammit, I walked through a grocery store today and only two of us were adhering to social distancing guidelines. It's really hard to gauge people's awareness level when it comes to Covid so many places get hit with "too little too late" syndrome because many are not as technologically entwined as we are. You just can't get mad, you can only be careful and, again, tend to your bubble
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:36 am

The Nameless Two wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:45 pm
My best advice is sympathy and not losing your ears over opposing sentiment... when times are especially tough, they become attached to the leader's guidance who is... in my very strict opinion... doing about all he can to mitigate the American psychology while, er... yeah, I can't go too far with this thought process but I'm not entirely convinced that America has any other option but to bite the bullet and just... be careful if you can. You know what's up, attend to your own bubble, and try not to let it all get to you.
I still wish I had been working in the same warehouse as my former co-worker and we could have schemed to get him on paid leave. I asked one of the managers of the other warehouse why he was working during the pandemic and the manager said that my ex-co-worker kept working because he needed the money. he hadn't even crossed my mind until I found out he had passed.

and at the risk of sounding like a brain-dead communist I can only hope we leave this crisis with some lessons on the limits of America's individualistic exceptionalism. even if Trump wasn't president, I could still see us messing up.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:40 am

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:36 am
I still wish I had been working in the same warehouse as my former co-worker and we could have schemed to get him on paid leave. I asked one of the managers of the other warehouse why he was working during the pandemic and the manager said that my ex-co-worker kept working because he needed the money. he hadn't even crossed my mind until I found out he had passed.

and at the risk of sounding like a brain-dead communist I can only hope we leave this crisis with some lessons on the limits of America's individualistic exceptionalism. even if Trump wasn't president, I could still see us messing up.
As much as Trump is easy to blame, it definitely boils down to the overall structure of how businesses are run... that being a pyramid. I believe in even distribution and that the head is run via committee. It's hard to communicate this without being a communist, so I do believe in being compensated for one's effort. If someone is picking up another's slack, maybe the pay should reflect that. Incredibly difficult situation to balance. I'm sorry about what I assume is your loss, did this co-worker pass away?
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:09 pm

The Nameless Two wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:40 am
As much as Trump is easy to blame, it definitely boils down to the overall structure of how businesses are run... that being a pyramid. I believe in even distribution and that the head is run via committee. It's hard to communicate this without being a communist, so I do believe in being compensated for one's effort. If someone is picking up another's slack, maybe the pay should reflect that. Incredibly difficult situation to balance. I'm sorry about what I assume is your loss, did this co-worker pass away?
it was a blood clot, not sure if it was covid-related but I can't help but think about ways it could have been avoided.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:19 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:09 pm
it was a blood clot, not sure if it was covid-related but I can't help but think about ways it could have been avoided.
I understand this sentiment. Disclaimer, trying not to make this about myself, I've had plenty of therapy in my time

One of my good friends collapsed in a McDonalds parking lot and died via brain injury in the hospital. Massively troubled person, part of me feels guilty for not calling for some sort of intervention where the other part feels like it was inevitable. Within a month my roommate died in a plane crash. They both shared the same age and birthday. Life's strange, it's best not to get too involved because coulda woulda shoulda can ruin someone if you are not careful, especially in this day and age. Try and tend to your bubble, these are extraordinary times and I'm not saying that to the point of being overwhelmed. It's hard to maintain one's zen, it's why I created a personal ranting thread to just vent when I need to under the impression that not a whole lot of eyes are looking upon me. I can't carry this stuff into my day to day interactions so my best suggestion is to find tools to help manage your stress. I'm always close if you need interaction, I'm happy to lend my time when I can
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:46 pm

The Nameless Two wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:19 pm
I understand this sentiment. Disclaimer, trying not to make this about myself, I've had plenty of therapy in my time

One of my good friends collapsed in a McDonalds parking lot and died via brain injury in the hospital. Massively troubled person, part of me feels guilty for not calling for some sort of intervention where the other part feels like it was inevitable. Within a month my roommate died in a plane crash. They both shared the same age and birthday. Life's strange, it's best not to get too involved because coulda woulda shoulda can ruin someone if you are not careful, especially in this day and age. Try and tend to your bubble, these are extraordinary times and I'm not saying that to the point of being overwhelmed. It's hard to maintain one's zen, it's why I created a personal ranting thread to just vent when I need to under the impression that not a whole lot of eyes are looking upon me. I can't carry this stuff into my day to day interactions so my best suggestion is to find tools to help manage your stress. I'm always close if you need interaction, I'm happy to lend my time when I can
in an odd way, being at work is a somewhat effective release from any stress. or at least being in motion, constantly power-walking, running, lifting, getting a good sweat going. it's a bit numbing though (every day is largely the same) and I feel zoned out most of the time. if that's better than having the emotions get all hot and spiky. my last job was in an office where I sat in front of a computer and I got fired for flipping out and punching a wall until my knuckles opened up and I bled everywhere (this was after my boss had spoken to me about some minor thing, I was very high-strung). I'd like to think I've made some progress from that point. there have still been incidents but they've been less common (I think). meds probably helped as well.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:18 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:46 pm
in an odd way, being at work is a somewhat effective release from any stress. or at least being in motion, constantly power-walking, running, lifting, getting a good sweat going. it's a bit numbing though (every day is largely the same) and I feel zoned out most of the time. if that's better than having the emotions get all hot and spiky. my last job was in an office where I sat in front of a computer and I got fired for flipping out and punching a wall until my knuckles opened up and I bled everywhere (this was after my boss had spoken to me about some minor thing, I was very high-strung). I'd like to think I've made some progress from that point. there have still been incidents but they've been less common (I think). meds probably helped as well.
Thank you for sharing this. I came up with the phrase "exercise is exorcism" the other day as exercise certainly helps me clear my demons. I'm woefully out of shape, I lost about 30lbs over the past couple years from just being unhealthy and that lethargy feeds into itself. I'm in the recovery phase. I'm desperately trying to figure out my career path as I haven't had much opportunity to do so being disabled (brain injuries). This fuels my agitation and, yeah, hard for me to be patient with people. Hard to balance being righteous when you are constantly falling into the wrong traps. I desperately need to take a break from foruming and focus on myself while balancing an open stream of communication here, because if I don't tend to my gardens I grow depressed.

I find my zen to be like a constantly evolving spiral. I prefer a slow, wide spiral... I focus a ton on my breathing. I even bought a $50 smart watch which has a "calm down" function. I didn't sleep well, I had a strange bordering on erotic nightmare, so Wooley set me off, so it goes in forum land. My arguments often reach the point of futility, I'm not one for arguing and hate when people lead me down that path because, again, spirals never quite reach the point. There are healthy and unhealthy rates and intervals of which the spiral can spin, I try not to be fast and furious but calm, cool, and collected. I try my best to check myself before I wreck myself because, lord help me, the past week was a furious bout of... informing. I sincerely thought the world was coming to an end and every day it doesn't it... still feels like it is but at least I'm able to look it in the eye and accept the challenge. My shinai (bamboo practice sword) comes in today so I can practice iaido. Otherwise I've invested in a few Tarot decks and it provides me with clarity of mind, it's nice being able to structure your days with a few card draws... but the learning process was fast and furious. It's why I wanted mod privileges so I could clean up my mess a bit, but ultimately I hope I didn't hurt anyone and, ultimately, not for me to say.

<3
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:16 pm

If a normal zombie movie has someone get bitten and then try to hide it and insist "It's nothing, I'm fine," then the USA right now is tens of millions of that guy not only saying "It's nothing, I'm fine," but also trying to convince others that he's fine, they'll all be fine, the zombie plague isn't real, and survivalism isn't really living anyway so they should visit that busted-up froyo place full of "zombies" (you can hear the air-quotes in their voices) because that's what a strong brave cowboy man would do.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:43 pm

DaMU wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:16 pm
If a normal zombie movie has someone get bitten and then try to hide it and insist "It's nothing, I'm fine," then the USA right now is tens of millions of that guy not only saying "It's nothing, I'm fine," but also trying to convince others that he's fine, they'll all be fine, the zombie plague isn't real, and survivalism isn't really living anyway so they should visit that busted-up froyo place full of "zombies" (you can hear the air-quotes in their voices) because that's what a strong brave cowboy man would do.
I've thought about this a fair deal (Max Brooks anyone? lol...), I'd much prefer a zombie apocalypse to what is all currently going down. This isn't even 28 Days Later's rage construct, it's just a swarm of misinformation. I very much would like to offer everyone a route to Vancouver Island but who even knows at this point, we just had a case break out close to where we live (our health care system is adamant on patient privacy so they won't disclose exact locations... thanks, BC). Alright, so on one hand you have a swarm of legion zombies trying to break through our gate. On the other hand you have sentient chaos agents who may infect you and thus your entire family and thus a potential slice of your community... Personally, I'd rather take my chances with the hoard, not the swarm of randomness (especially given the liability of feeling like you may have resulted in someone's offhand death). I've been helping my mom with beekeeping if only to really get a grasp on the physics of the equation

Seriously, every time I write a post like this I get super scared that one of you are just going to go and jump off a cliff. No! Don't do that! Urg, what a horrendously stressful equation, I'm very sorry, everyone
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:53 pm

"Chaos agents" is a good way of putting it. Have some immediate family that don't take this seriously and find it all an inconvenience. I'm empathetic to people who've lost their jobs or had their hours/pay reduced, but I don't think that's a sign that we should all get back to work; that's a sign that our government has failed in its duty to provide for the security of its people through social safety nets. A three-month UBI should not be a financial crisis.

[I think there's a lot more to what's happening currently, but one huge element, I think, is how the American identity warped as the "American Dream" shifted from "you can come here and be free and have a shot at a good life" into "you don't owe anything to anybody; the world is a bunch of fuckos who might impede your path to wealth." Aspirational individual freedom turned psychotic, to the point that any sort of government intrusion on behalf of the whole is inherently the worst fucking thing that could possibly happen.]
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:14 pm

DaMU wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:53 pm
"Chaos agents" is a good way of putting it. Have some immediate family that don't take this seriously and find it all an inconvenience. I'm empathetic to people who've lost their jobs or had their hours/pay reduced, but I don't think that's a sign that we should all get back to work; that's a sign that our government has failed in its duty to provide for the security of its people through social safety nets. A three-month UBI should not be a financial crisis.

[I think there's a lot more to what's happening currently, but one huge element, I think, is how the American identity warped as the "American Dream" shifted from "you can come here and be free and have a shot at a good life" into "you don't owe anything to anybody; the world is a bunch of fuckos who might impede your path to wealth." Aspirational individual freedom turned psychotic, to the point that any sort of government intrusion on behalf of the whole is inherently the worst fucking thing that could possibly happen.]
The "American Dream" is just, like, omg can America just chill already? I love visiting America, I have never run into anyone who I haven't found pleasant, I have a lot of respect for the general kindness of people... but this shit is mad, and it extends to my area as well, like, noooo one wears a mask and social distancing protocols may as well not exist. There is a serious degree of quarantine burnout and it's like, uhhh, America had 40k cases yesterday (how in the world did the US perpetuate the physics to this extent? The second wave just tacked on to the first!). Okay, Biden blundered with his "120 mil dead" remark but... it's very likely America is at 1.2 mil deaths. It's absurdly harsh to think about. I can't imagine being in the heat of that environment. It's depressing to think that the situation may be un-containable because I've played enough post-apocalypse things to understand some of the lengths government will take to quell these unsolvable equations. It's to this end where I actually prefer the ostrich movement and just letting it all go down... that's better than everyone freaking out to the point where liability gets out of control. Is it? What a nightmare

I spent the bulk of last year playing The Division 2 which operates closely to how a situation like this would go down after the fact. Now, that's just a video game (ha ha, right?) but... yeah, be careful. All I can do is offer BC's Dr. Bonnie Henry's best advice - "Be calm, be kind, stay safe"
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:43 pm

So, Covid is really happening, we know our friend's family's grandmother who is infected in a care home and they have all been exposed. The chances of that given the math on the island are... very low. There is something not being properly communicated on the island, I wonder how they will be processed in regards to contact tracing... our family is on red alert right now. I'm keeping my ears open. This is frightening shit, who knows how much this has spread due to the 9000 people protesting for the BLM movement almost two weeks ago.......
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:49 pm

Stay safe, everyone. Love you all. I truly need to take a break from the internet and tend to my environment, and myself. Chances are I'll hop in but if I do just whack me with a stick or something, this really sucks. I got prescribed benzos today to help me sleep, just a minor perspective on how fucked up I've been lately (you can all probably tell)
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:15 am

Sorry to hear that, Nameless. Take care out there.
LEAVES

Post by LEAVES » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:06 am

Does anyone in the US have the same feeling in their gut today as they did when we were at the first peak? Because I don't, and I don't know anyone else acting like they do, but we are in far, far, far worse shape, for several reasons:

1. We are in far worse shape with cases.
2. People are far less willing to take the drastic actions they took initially.
3. The states getting hit are less trusting of government and collective action, and the main figure in government that they do trust is science-denying idiot.
4. There is a current narrative that most of the people testing positive are young, disregarding the fact that all of the most vulnerable people rely on the lowest paid and youngest people to do the in-person non-technical service jobs that keep them alive, like providing food and the low-level day-to-day care at facilities that provide higher levels of assistance.
5. Because of 4, people may think that the hospital surge is over before it even begins, because the first surge will be the young people and it may even dip before the real surge of older people that get hit much, much harder begins.

There is every reason to believe that this is going to be so, so, so bad.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:25 am

There's been a slight improvement in my area over the past week or ten days. For most of June, people were acting like we were all done with the virus, even though if you were paying attention, our case numbers had a ten-fold increase in that month. I had started doing my groceries in the early morning, the grandmother crowd, because this was the most respectful time for people with masks and social distancing. In the evening, maybe 10% mask-wearing, people almost walking into me while they look at their phones, etc. One nit tried to reach over my shoulder from behind to grab something off the shelf, then look at me like I was crazy.

Trump waving the white flag on Covid on Independence Day is a good look for him though. Wouldn't it be sad if we discovered the cure was some toxic compound derived from bronzer and fructose? Is he the one man that this virus is too afraid to inhabit?
LEAVES

Post by LEAVES » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:42 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:25 am
There's been a slight improvement in my area over the past week or ten days. For most of June, people were acting like we were all done with the virus, even though if you were paying attention, our case numbers had a ten-fold increase in that month. I had started doing my groceries in the early morning, the grandmother crowd, because this was the most respectful time for people with masks and social distancing. In the evening, maybe 10% mask-wearing, people almost walking into me while they look at their phones, etc. One nit tried to reach over my shoulder from behind to grab something off the shelf, then look at me like I was crazy.

Trump waving the white flag on Covid on Independence Day is a good look for him though. Wouldn't it be sad if we discovered the cure was some toxic compound derived from bronzer and fructose? Is he the one man that this virus is too afraid to inhabit?
Boris got it, Bolsonaro probably has it, so Trump is up next!
topherH

Post by topherH » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:53 pm

If Charlie Daniels wasn't immune, who is?
State of Siege |Gavras, 1972| +
Deadpool |Miller, 2016| +
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:19 pm

LEAVES wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:42 am
Boris got it, Bolsonaro probably has it, so Trump is up next!
Bolsonaro is confirmed as of a couple hours ago. Oh boy