RAMBLING MAN by crumbsroom: 30th ANNIVERSARY EXTRAVAGANZA

Discuss anything you want.
crumbsroom

RAMBLING MAN by crumbsroom: 30th ANNIVERSARY EXTRAVAGANZA

Post by crumbsroom » Fri May 22, 2020 5:59 am

This thread will be in commemoration of a film me and my untalented friend made thirty years ago today.

But unfortunately, much like Todd Browning's "London After Midnight", it too has been lost to the uncertainties of time. Or, more specifically, a friend who borrowed it and then lost it.

Supposedly.

Over the course of the next day or two, or possibly year or three, I will do my best to do a shot by shot analysis of this classic film I haven't seen for at least ten years. I cant' promise to break anything down thematically, but I will give you the best sense possible of what a rollercoaster of a film experience this happened to be for those who saw it. But was unfortunately only experienced by very few.

Along side of my shot by shot analysis, I will also share some tantalizing tidbits from the films turbulent production, it's unreceptive reception and recollections of the friends and family who were the only ones to have seen it. Not to mention a complaint or two by all of those grandparents who were watching TV in the other room while it was being filmed.

Hopefully, the insight about to be provided will address all of the pressing questions that have been left unanswered for years.

Now buckle in, regardless of whether or not I forget to ever post in this thread again. Because I just might. Maybe. And if I happen to return, watch me give the world what can only be called a a deep dive into the myth known only as Rambling Man.
Popcorn Reviews

Re: RAMBLING MAN by crumbsroom: 30th ANNIVERSARY EXTRAVAGANZA

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Fri May 22, 2020 6:04 am

The Nameless One

Post by The Nameless One » Fri May 22, 2020 7:46 am

Awesome
Rock

Post by Rock » Fri May 22, 2020 12:19 pm

Will you be posting actual screenshots for this shot by shot analysis, or will we be treated to crude MS Paint approximations of the original images?
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri May 22, 2020 2:09 pm

Rock wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:19 pm
Will you be posting actual screenshots for this shot by shot analysis, or will we be treated to crude MS Paint approximations of the original images?
This video contained blackmail level material, so even if I had a copy, its magic would need to be kept under strict lock and key.

I just had the thought late last night of making as detailed an account of what I remember to be on this tape, before the memory of it completely fades.

Then, because of boredom, I chose to create this thread to document that writing of.

Now even though I think I remember a good chunk of it pretty well, I didn't think to how I would address the problem that I will likely struggle to remember it entirely chronologically. So this will be a dumpster fire of a thread, if I manage to take on the challenge.

No matter the outcome though, the world lost something very special the day Rambling Man went missing. An entirely improvised horror film, made by two dorks passing the camera back and forth between eachother, each of us playing a myriad of characters, almost all of whom are dressed exactly the same. Unless we were playing women.

I'm pretty sure we made it clear when we were playing women.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri May 22, 2020 2:17 pm

First The Other Side of the Wind and now this? It's a great time to be a cinephile.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri May 22, 2020 2:18 pm

The title Rambling Man suggests to me an action-musical starring Jerry Reed. How far off am I?
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri May 22, 2020 2:27 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:18 pm
The title Rambling Man suggests to me an action-musical starring Jerry Reed. How far off am I?
It is a slasher in a suburban house. There was never any clear reason it was called Rambling Man. This was the title because no thought was put into a single element of production. I didn't believe in thinking things through. Planning was for losers, I would frequently scream at those who thought I was mad. That would just have tamped down the creative spirit of myself and the friend I took hostage to make this miracle of modern cinema.

WHY DID NO ONE UNDERSTAND ME!!!! STUPID WORLD!!!!!
Thief

Post by Thief » Fri May 22, 2020 2:31 pm

I'm 100% confident that this will never happen. Never.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri May 22, 2020 2:41 pm

What year are we talking about here?
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri May 22, 2020 2:45 pm

Thief wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:31 pm
I'm 100% confident that this will never happen. Never.
lol
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri May 22, 2020 2:47 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:41 pm
What year are we talking about here?
It was made on the nights of May 20-21st in the year of 1990
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Fri May 22, 2020 2:54 pm

According to JustWatch, it's not streaming anywhere. Too bad.
Last Great Movie Seen
Before Sunrise (Linklater, 1995)
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri May 22, 2020 3:04 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:47 pm
It was made on the nights of May 20-21st in the year of 1990
So, well past the point where slashers were relevant. Bold choice!

(and I just noticed the "30th Anniversary" in the title. In all caps no less. duh.)
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri May 22, 2020 3:51 pm

THE TITLE CARD

The film opens on a simple image. A scrap of three ringed paper taped to the bottom of a closet. The fiery orange of a shag carpet can be viewed at the bottom of the frame. Unseen, inside of the closet, many Wacky Packages have been stuck.

While the paper we see on screen has by now long been lost to time, these stickers likely remain here, still resolute in their stickiness, still hilarious even in shadows. One can imagine there existence is still to this day unknown by the Chinese Diplomats who now reside here. Just like the history of the miraculous filmmaking that once took place within their walls. Both can only be found if you know where to look.

Only one word appears written on this very important piece of paper: RAMBLING. It is written in red ink. Even though the paper is lined, the word pays no heed to straightness. The letters dribble carelessly down the page. It is almost as if there had not been enough time for proper penmanship. But of course there was. Penmanship is simply not the passion of this young auteur. He only cares of getting the necessity of credits quickly behind him and moving on to something more interesting. But for the time being, since his co-director is late in arriving to the first day of shooting, time must be killed, and this is the only thing that can be done without his help, as talentless as this friend might be.

Slowly, one dash of black ink after another begins to appear in quite a ghostly manner upon the paper. Something is being scrawled beneath RAMBLING by an unseen hand. This has all appearances of being an attempt at animation, but stripped of any sense of wonder. As we watch the slow progression of this word being spelled, the shadows of the co-director, who has finally arrived and is now aimlessly wandering back and forth past the light source, will be a constant distraction.

"You have shattered my illusion", the director cries out, when he realizes what his assistant has done. "The sweat of my labors, all for nothing".

But the show must go on. The director is a consummate professional.

After the duration of approximately 40 seconds, the word MAN has finally been completed. To highlight the inherent drama of such a moment, there is the sudden crack of thunder, which has been supplied by a record in the directors personal collection: Sound Effects of Death and Horror Volume 13. This is a collection of mostly upsetting sounds distributed by the BBC, and it possesses a most awesome cover that most parents would never think to permit inside of the house.

The camera dramatically cuts to black.

A moment of silence. Then, loudly, the opening guitar licks to John Lennon's "Well Well Well" begin. The crackle of the record is clearly audible.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Fri May 22, 2020 7:17 pm

Godard did it better.
Ain't no grave gonna hold this body down
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Fri May 22, 2020 9:17 pm

that feeling when you open up the index page and see a new crumbsroom topic
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri May 22, 2020 9:32 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:17 pm
that feeling when you open up the index page and see a new crumbsroom topic
You dastardly....
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat May 23, 2020 2:49 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:18 pm
I was hoping more for....

Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat May 23, 2020 2:59 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:51 pm
a record in the directors personal collection: Sound Effects of Death and Horror Volume 13. This is a collection of mostly upsetting sounds distributed by the BBC, and it possesses a most awesome cover that most parents would never think to permit inside of the house.

Wiki wrote:Many sound effects were created by "mistreating large white cabbages".
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat May 23, 2020 3:00 am

This thread will save me the pain of ever having to testify to the details of my own adolescent homemade horror film, "Careful With That Axe, Janson Manson".
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sat May 23, 2020 3:07 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:59 am
Have I ever mentioned this record has the sound effect.for Slimers first appearance in Ghostbusters? It is called The Mad Gorilla.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat May 23, 2020 3:13 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:07 am
Have I ever mentioned this record has the sound effect.for Slimers first appearance in Ghostbusters? It is called The Mad Gorilla.
Slimer does look like the ghost of a mistreated cabbage.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sat May 23, 2020 3:33 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:13 am
Slimer does look like the ghost of a mistreated cabbage.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat May 23, 2020 3:39 am

That gorilla seems to be having a pretty good time to me.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sat May 23, 2020 4:06 am

EXCLUSIVE: Excerpt From Interview with Co-Director of Rambling Man

crumbsroom: "I'm currently writing a history of the production of Rambling Man and posting it on that movie forum"

assistant director: "Good lord. Can’t wait to read it"
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun May 24, 2020 2:31 am

THE CREDITS

The screen remains black. There is a universe of possibilities as the bass guitar of Klaus Voorman throbs expectantly. Beneath the music, even as John Lennon screams, a rustling can be heard. There may even be the familiar screech of Scotch tape.

As the image slowly returns, it seem a new piece of paper has magically replaced the title card. This will announce to the audience that this is officially a WinSum production. Then another slow fade to black.

More rustling. More tape. It's possible the director says something nasty to his assistant. It is possible the assistant is already bored.

Now there is yet another piece of paper. The camera has gone out of focus, so it is impossible to read the names of the lead actors. It hardly matters anyways. The names were obviously stupid made up names.

There are many more fades to black. There are many more pieces of paper. The cast seems enormous. The credits never end. There are concerns the song playing will not be long enough.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Sun May 24, 2020 4:43 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:00 am
This thread will save me the pain of ever having to testify to the details of my own adolescent homemade horror film, "Careful With That Axe, Janson Manson".
Fortunately my "Mr. Bill Against Drugs" anti-drug commercial has long since been lost in the mists of time.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun May 24, 2020 5:19 am

Death Proof wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 4:43 am
Fortunately my "Mr. Bill Against Drugs" anti-drug commercial has long since been lost in the mists of time.
Details!
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Sun May 24, 2020 5:48 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:19 am
Details!

Senior year in high school (1990) I had a Communications class. It was brand new, and our teacher's first time teaching.

it was a pretty fun class, and our final project of the year was making a commercial. (on VHS) Anti-drug commercials (the egg/frying pan and the "I learned it by watching you!") had been out for a couple of years so my group decided to do our own.

We all pitched in for a couple of packs of Playdoh and did a Mr. Bill Against Drugs. I was doing the shooting and the Mr. Hand voice. My best friend Rick did the Mr. Hand movements. In short, Mr. Bill buys drug from drug dealer Sluggo, his dog OD's on pills and Mr. Bill does a line of coke and his head explodes.

Unfortunately the tape has long since vanished.

In Film class I did a short documentary on 8mm about some kids cleaning up the woods behind one of our schools. (actually it was one guy who was doing community service after getting arrested for something, but a bunch of kids pitched in to help.) I think I still have the film for that packed away in a box somewhere.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Mon May 25, 2020 7:10 pm

#3 OPENING NARRATION

The camera has left the bedroom of the director and is now out on the street. A wide screen shot of suburban Flamewood Drive fills the frame. The sun is going down and a dusky light has filled the air. Thankfully, all neighbours remain indoors as shooting of these exteriors commence. It would not do having the Hansford twins outside doing the daily shammying of their jeep as they listen to Haddaways' "What Is Love, squirting eachtoher playfully with a hose. This is not that kind of movie. There are also no stray dogs roaming to hump the director as he tries to steady the camera on his shoulder. This is the magic hour and the director realizes it. He shoots quickly, hoping to ensure he captures a mood befitting of the narration he is about to read aloud in his pubescent warble.

The director has been scribbling and rewriting these opening words all day. Since he is not yet comfortable having anyone listen in on what he has written, he has instructed the assistant director to stand at a distance as he shoots these first scenes. The narration will describe a home, out in the country, entirely isolated from society. It will also describes many other things not to be seen on camera. Unfortunately, the director did not think to tailor what he wrote to the reality at hand. This will continue to be a problem for him in most aspects of his life to this day.

As the narration continues, there are many shots of the home the director lives in with his grandparents. It is a menacing enough looking place, so at least reciting ominous stories of all of the evils that have happened here doesn't seem entirely off the mark. There is a dead looking tree on the lawn, of which we get a few shots of its branches swaying in the wind. Artsy! As it begins to rain, the images begin to blur, the lens becoming confused at the droplets of water that are falling on it.

A black cat is soon spotted crossing the street, and the camera quickly turns on it to catch this gift, this perfectly timed bad omen. What we have here is living breathing cinema, composed in the moment, working with what is at hand, embracing the happy accident. The director feels encouraged that the movie gods are smiling on him. Unfortunately, there is clearly a struggle for the director as he tries to both read from his rain smudged paper while also following the cat, who is much faster than he expected. The cinematic devise known as the shakey cam is invented in this very moment. The cat can barely be seen, but we can imagine it is out there somewhere in the blur.

Now, slowly having grown more comfortable reading these words he has written out loud , he is ready to allow the assistant director near him. This moment was unavoidable since the AD will also be playing the titular character in the film and it is time for his first scene.

The narration continues as the AD is directed to stand smugly on the side of the road. The backstory of this character is he has apparently moved here from the city to the country. A long and detailed description of what a dirty yuppie he is will follow.

This is the role the AD was born to play. Being a long proud owner of the Trump Board game, he has shown himself to be a quick learner under the tutelage of his childhood idol staring back at him from the cover of the box. He has never read the rules of how to play, but makes a good show of stuffing his pockets full of the play money and strutting around the house with his chin held high, pretending his brother and sister are homeless people he refuses to give any money to. The specter of the 80's millionaire has long been a running obsession in his life. In grade 5 he used his oral presentation to marvel over the magnificence of business executives, even as classmates made it clear with their glazed expressions that they were not yet ready to dabble in the harsh world of the stock market.

He IS this character. He will make this supposedly rambler of a man come to life on the small screen.

Initially, the director had hoped to have a good long close up shot of the AD's face as he narrated in poetic detail the soulless nature of his existence. Unfortunately, in his desperation to not miss a single insult he has prepared for this moment, he will once again fail at properly centering the camera as he reads from his notes. We can't even see the ball of paper the actor crumples up and throws to the ground, in illustration of his disgust towards the natural world. All that will make it into the shot is the shoulder of his subject. He is wearing a colorful Benneton windbreaker. We can only imagine the khaki trousers the narration claims he is wearing and that he lintbusts daily, as Yuppies are supposedly well known to do.

"Khaki trousers? What?" the AG will mutter under his breath once the shot is finished.

The director can't be bothered to explain.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue May 26, 2020 1:48 am

EXCLUSIVE: ASSISTANT DIRECTOR VOICES COMPLAINTS TO TELL-ALL REGARDING FILMS PRODUCTION

Having read the first few installments of the 30th Anniversary Extravagana, the Assistant Director of Rambling Man has issued a cease and desist order from this continuing.

At the time being, the director is ignoring any kind of requests to comply with this phony attempt to corrupt the telling of this story. This is also his story. He'll tell it any damn way he wants.

Lawyers have been contacted. Ninja stars have been procured.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Thu May 28, 2020 2:15 am

#4 THE RED TRUCK

(production details about red truck to follow)

(Lawsuits mounting)

(Beers: 3, Whiskey: 1, Wine: 2, Pot: Lookout)
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Thu May 28, 2020 2:32 am

Are we going to get a young crumbsroom nude/sex scene?
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Thu May 28, 2020 2:35 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:32 am
Are we going to get a young crumbsroom nude/sex scene?
You wish.

And yes.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Thu May 28, 2020 2:37 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 1:48 am
EXCLUSIVE: ASSISTANT DIRECTOR VOICES COMPLAINTS TO TELL-ALL REGARDING FILMS PRODUCTION

Having read the first few installments of the 30th Anniversary Extravagana, the Assistant Director of Rambling Man has issued a cease and desist order from this continuing.

At the time being, the director is ignoring any kind of requests to comply with this phony attempt to corrupt the telling of this story. This is also his story. He'll tell it any damn way he wants.

Lawyers have been contacted. Ninja stars have been procured.
I'm getting a Hitchcock/Tippi Hedren vibe from all of this. I'm uncomfortable.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Thu May 28, 2020 2:42 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:37 am
I'm getting a Hitchcock/Tippi Hedren vibe from all of this. I'm uncomfortable.
It all ends in the completion of Rambling Man!

Its a happy ending.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Thu May 28, 2020 3:13 am

Lawyers from both sides have met. We hashed the details out in Chinatown. At least I got a free dinner out of this nonsense. Lawyers know their dimsum.

Now got a belly full and all lawsuits have all been dropped, thank God. What a drag that was in a pandemic. But brighter futures ahead!

And now....the truth.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri May 29, 2020 12:46 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:42 am
Its a happy ending.
I'd sue too.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri May 29, 2020 2:30 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:46 am
I'd sue too.
It's fighting words like these that start my lawyers Voltroning into an even bigger lawyer.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri May 29, 2020 4:38 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 7:10 pm
Being a long proud owner of the Trump Board game,
Here's a true story. I, myself, was a less than proud owner of the Trump board game. I apologize to no one, because I didn't ask for it. In fact, it was a fairly clever prank my father pulled on me, making sure that it was the one gift I was allowed to pre-open on Christmas Eve, 1989 (yes, 30 years ago...). He knew how much I hated Trump even then, who at the time was embroiled in the midst of his Taj Mahal catastrophe, the perfect puncture to his overflated balloon of an ego that I was so sure would end his sleezy cat-pissed coif. It was pretty exciting to get a wrapped box that big, after all, because Trump products are always boxed so bigly.

Even though I never played the game, I doubt that rules would be necessary. It was obviously Monopoly with Trump properties instead of streets and utilities (and no jail, if I recall correctly).

In due disclosure, the spine of this Trump boardgame, stashed into a overly-stuffed shelf, does make an appearance in a brief tracking shot of Careful With That Axe, Janson Manson. Shot approximately five months shy of thirty years ago today. The Trump spine always got a laugh, killing my suspense.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri May 29, 2020 6:36 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 4:38 am
Here's a true story. I, myself, was a less than proud owner of the Trump board game. I apologize to no one, because I didn't ask for it. In fact, it was a fairly clever prank my father pulled on me, making sure that it was the one gift I was allowed to pre-open on Christmas Eve, 1989 (yes, 30 years ago...). He knew how much I hated Trump even then, who at the time was embroiled in the midst of his Taj Mahal catastrophe, the perfect puncture to his overflated balloon of an ego that I was so sure would end his sleezy cat-pissed coif. It was pretty exciting to get a wrapped box that big, after all, because Trump products are always boxed so bigly.

Even though I never played the game, I doubt that rules would be necessary. It was obviously Monopoly with Trump properties instead of streets and utilities (and no jail, if I recall correctly).

In due disclosure, the spine of this Trump boardgame, stashed into a overly-stuffed shelf, does make an appearance in a brief tracking shot of Careful With That Axe, Janson Manson. Shot approximately five months shy of thirty years ago today. The Trump spine always got a laugh, killing my suspense.
I didn't have any idea who he was at the time. Just another role model for the formative years of my assistant director. Trump, Bette Midler and the shark from Jaws made him the man he is today.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Sat May 30, 2020 12:11 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:42 am
Its a happy ending.

I usually have to pay extra for that.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat May 30, 2020 12:47 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:36 pm
I didn't have any idea who he was at the time. Just another role model for the formative years of my assistant director. Trump, Bette Midler and the shark from Jaws made him the man he is today.
Ruthless People ruined a lot of our generation's latent yuppies.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sat May 30, 2020 1:37 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:47 am
Ruthless People ruined a lot of our generation's latent yuppies.
Really more of an Outrageous Fortune deviant.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sun May 31, 2020 2:27 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:15 am
#4 THE RED TRUCK

(production details about red truck to follow)

(Lawsuits mounting)

(Beers: 3, Whiskey: 1, Wine: 2, Pot: Lookout)
A conveniently placed glass of water. An early morning phone call. Reaching out from sleep to answer. Splash. All over laptop. Motherboard fried. Notes for reference temporarily lost. Red Truck indefinitely delayed to the despair of millions.

Who happened to make this surprise early morning call?

One guess. And it wasn't Jesus.