General Comic Book Discussion

Discuss anything you want.
The Nameless Two

General Comic Book Discussion

Post by The Nameless Two » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:57 am

All of this Batman talk and no thread to properly Batman in

Anyone read The Long Halloween? Knightfall? Grant Morisson's Batmen incorporated? The Dark Knight Returns? The Dark Knight Strikes Again? So many good Batmans and people are stuck *wretch* watching the MOVIES? EW GROSS

Comics are one of my passions along with anime bullshit. I'm sure you all understand by now that I am hugely into Alan Moore and his ilk. V for Vendetta, Watchmen, From Hell, Promethea, some interesting riffs on H.P Lovecraft. You know, cool stuff

If there was one, only one, comic to TV adaptation I desperately need right about now is a Transmetropolitan series... starring me as Spider Jerusalem. Shit, you still don't get it. Okay
The Nameless Two

Re: General Comic Book Discussion

Post by The Nameless Two » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:00 am

Well, I whipped up a $4 instruction manual (originally a buck but, screw it, %400 increase because Amazon is a dick and wants MORE profit than I was originally asking for for each individual sale of my product! All of that hard work and I can't even sell it for what it's actually worth, unbelievable) on how to best understand this stuff. Uh oh! Anyhoo, anyone who feels so inclined gets it for free, just shoot me a PM or something and I will hook you up
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:26 am

I'm not reading as many ATM (maybe my library has some online options), but there was a spell where I was devouring trade paperback collections. My favorites I read were Superman: Birthright, Animal Man, From Hell, Batman: The Long Halloween, Uzumaki, and the TPB collections of the first 20-30 issues of the original Spider-Man run (fucking amazing how fully-formed the character is from the start).
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:33 am

DaMU wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:26 am
I'm not reading as many ATM (maybe my library has some online options), but there was a spell where I was devouring trade paperback collections. My favorites I read were Superman: Birthright, Animal Man, From Hell, Batman: The Long Halloween, Uzumaki, and the TPB collections of the first 20-30 issues of the original Spider-Man run (fucking amazing how fully-formed the character is from the start).
It's hard to argue that Spider-Man is Marvel's most successful character, which might be why I never explored his construct too deeply (the only trade I've read is part of Todd McFarlane's run*)

TORMENT

lol, I'm such a nerd to wordplay :shifty:

Man, I've been having some serious Uzumaki dreams lately. I don't think Junji Ito quite gets how the spiral works, er, lol
topherH

Post by topherH » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:35 pm

I rewatched Thomas Jane's Punisher last week. I need some Punisher stories to check out if I have time in the future.
State of Siege |Gavras, 1972| +
Deadpool |Miller, 2016| +
Z |Gavras, 1969| -
The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended
Charles

Post by Charles » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:44 pm

DaMU wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:26 am
Uzumaki
Did you see the movie? It was made before the comic was over so the end is, well, I would say an improvement over the too fantasyish one from the comic, but it's overall esoteric enough to be worth the detour.

The same director, who I wish made more than three things, also adapted Long Dream for a television anthology.

As far as reading anything, I haven't done much of that in months. The best comic I've read however is Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind. It's on that level of greatness where you actually feel a bit depressed after finishing it, because you know you'll never find anything like it ever again. Nausicaa, the character, is one of my favorite things in media ever, despite the fact that I usually don't care about characters at all.

Did you non-francos have any non-superhero comics growing up? I feel like that's all I hear about when it comes to, especially American, youth comics.
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:55 pm

I own the Nausicaa box set but am only about 1/4 of the way through. *Breaths* Thank you for the time
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:24 pm

Charles wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:44 pm
Did you see the movie? It was made before the comic was over so the end is, well, I would say an improvement over the too fantasyish one from the comic, but it's overall esoteric enough to be worth the detour.
I saw the flick many years ago, before I read the comic; I think the comic is much better overall (I love how buck wild its fantasy elements become by the end), but I respect Higuchinsky and his team for finding a coherent way to tie what they had into one film.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:35 pm

Charles wrote:
Did you non-francos have any non-superhero comics growing up? I feel like that's all I hear about when it comes to, especially American, youth comics.
For me it was probably 80% superheroes but I occasionally strayed away from them. Devil Dinosaur, Turok Son of Stone, King Conan, etc.
When I was a kid my two favorite heroes, by far, were The Hulk and The Thing, both of which can be considered "monsters". I find that amusing now, knowing that I would one day turn into a horror junkie.

My comic-reading career lasted from 1977-81, give or take.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:49 pm

Charles wrote:
When I was very very little, I would look at some of the cartoon-based comics - Casper, Ritchie Rich, Looney Toons and Disney stuff.

There were quite a few "war" comics that were still popular, like Sgt. Rock or G.I. Combat, but these were still, in essence, "superhero" tales of impossible adventure. Same with the Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers stuff. I also had several Classics Illustrated.

Another kind of comic that I was heavily into were the collections of comic strips - Peanuts, Calvin & Hobbes, Far Side, Doonsebury, Bloom County, etc.

Thee were also still enough of the horror titles around - House of Mystery/Secrets, Tomb of Dracula, Scary Tales and magazines like Eerie and Creepy.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:59 pm

The most recent comics I've enjoyed are Paper Girls, which is sort of a gender-swapped Stranger Things with time travel, and Outer Darkness, which you could describe as Star Trek meets The Exorcist.
Last Great Movie Seen
13th (DuVernay, 2016)
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:03 pm

I wonder if my paper comic collection is still kicking around, I remember sorting them recently in the form of "highlights" but long story short, I won four boxes worth of old comics in a game of elementary school bingo and thus started my whole adventure into this realm. It wasn't until high school where I found a copy of The Dark Knight Returns on a library shelf, before reading Maus by Art Spiegelman. Yes, yes, please don't cancel cats, this is a wholenuther story you cruel and unusual God. I swear, if anyone wants to put the red in my eyes, go after a cat. See what happens

Ugh, I'm mad again! Comics are fierce constructs! Timeless, dangerous things
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:11 pm

So in my Transmetropolitan adaptation idea, what if... we compose a prequel chapter which explains how Spider Jerusalem got notified that Warren Ellis is his "creator" and basically goes mad for a while, writes "I Hate it Here", and disappears into the mountain? What an interesting concept, kinda breaking the fourth wall of the comic construct and legitimizing the idea of a live action adaptation. No?
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:47 pm

Speaking of Transmetropolitan adaptations, who could play Spider? It has to be someone who's good at going on long, impassioned rants. Sam Rockwell, maybe?
Last Great Movie Seen
13th (DuVernay, 2016)
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:23 pm

Torgo wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:47 pm
Speaking of Transmetropolitan adaptations, who could play Spider? It has to be someone who's good at going on long, impassioned rants. Sam Rockwell, maybe?
Seriously, there is no actor out there who is capable of understanding Spider's construct like I do. It's gotta be me, like, unfortunately in order to do this project I need to "create" it, but now it's a matter of figuring out how to break from the script laid out by Ellis (along with rectifying the idea of a "creator"). Like, now my idea is "how thinly can we blur the lines between fiction and real time documentary?". See, I don't really want to get Spider's tattoos, I'm not a tattoo guy (just in case you get a Spider Jerusalem tattoo and it turns out your creator is a sex pest). But, yeah, if you want someone who is capable of going on long, impassioned rants while also delivering to the bastards the Chair Leg of Truth, I'm your girl. That's the key, is I want to play this role before I properly transition because I feel like that was a reality Spider was denied in his life, he's very feminine minded

The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:25 pm

I want to provide people with a future vision which is close enough to really feel, while exploring physical boundaries present in art. This seems like a big budget project, but I'm thinking small, scrappy, loaded with color and practical effects. Fifth Element is a good template, but subtract the budget even further. It's very possible
The Nameless Two

Post by The Nameless Two » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:28 pm

Really, the only construct which I need to have happen is Stephen Colbert playing The Smiler