Wooley's September Pre-Horrorthon 3

Discuss anything you want.
Wooley

Wooley's September Pre-Horrorthon 3

Post by Wooley » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:44 am

Yo.
I started this two years ago when I decided that just having a Horrorthon wasn't enough, partly because I kinda just couldn't wait til October, partly because there's lots of stuff that gets me in the mood for October, and partly because there are so many movies that are Horror or Horror-like but aren't really October Horror for me (no supernatural).
So I like to do a month of Suspense, Sword & Sorcery, Sci-Fi, Slashers, and Psychedelia in September.
Probably no more than 20, with the 31 I'm gonna do in October.
But here they are.
Popcorn Reviews

Re: Wooley's September Pre-Horrorthon 3

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:53 am

Yay!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:10 am

Not sure what the fuck is going on with imgur or the forum-interface with it. But we move on, I can fix it later, for posterity.
Stu

Post by Stu » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:15 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:53 am
Yay!
What he said.

:D
Yes, I'm a mod; let me know if you need anything.

Read My Reviews
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:23 am

:up:
Ain't no grave gonna hold this body down
daakmore

Post by daakmore » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:03 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:53 am
Yay!
we can all feel the ...

daakmore

Post by daakmore » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:12 am

daakmore wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:03 am
we can all feel the ... [media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v16KFXa2njo[/media]
That would have worked better if I could get anything, gif, youtube just literally anything to embed and not just post a link.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:20 am

Well.
How about that?
It's no secret I am a big fan of The Witch. I thought it was just excellent filmmaking all around and also just gave me this particular kind of pleasure to watch that's hard to put my finger on. A lot of it was the craft but a lot also was the content.
And I had that experience essentially reproduced here in a movie that is very different and yet also very much the same.
Eggers produces another period-piece with incredible attention to detail that is not wasted in the least, grounding the film so deeply in its time and place that one feels like an observer rather than an audience. That trick alone would be worth the price of admission but the film has so many more pleasures to offer.
Every movie should start with a script and really this one is taut with narrative, theme, and dialogue throughout, accomplishing its goals with both efficiency and art. The story, which is probably (?) about a man's descent into madness under harsh conditions and the shadow of guilt, is lean yet muscular, never dull despite it's quiet nature and deliberate pacing. And, while it never truly gives up its ghost, it's never so enigmatic as to be unengaging. Au contraire, the viewer is gripped throughout and pulled, firmly when not downright roughly, in the direction of inevitability. In many ways, nothing in happens in this film one doesn't know is coming from the opening scene, yet every bit of it feels earned by the time credits roll. And the dialogue bristles throughout, propelling things along superbly in the hands of two actors at their finest.
Pattinson is excellent here, really, really good, shedding any remnants of past sins (not really of his own doing) and emerging as an actor that reminded me, over and over again, of Daniel Day Lewis.
Yet, it is hard for even that performance to steal the movie from the truly great Willem Dafoe, a man whose transcendence to Master of his craft is solidified a dozen times over by this point and once more again with this intense, demanding, performance, carried off with such a natural ease you would believe he was the man he is playing while he also maintains a mystique that haunts the film throughout.
And though we've covered design and script and performance, there are still more stars here. Director Robert Eggers and Jarin Blaschke frame a masterpiece from the odd, claustrophobic aspect ratio to the lighting which is a constant presence to shot-composition that ranges from starkly mundane and earth-bound to striking and fantastical without ever fumbling the tone of the film.
Honestly, I could have used any of a hundred or more shots.
Really, I could go on about this film all night, but rather than gush endlessly I'll just say the more I think about it, the more I loved this movie, the more I'm glad I saw it, and glad it was made and made with such care. It's a fascinating film even though it seems on the surface like it should bore people to death. It's kinda nuts but also kinda not. It felt like it was going to be surreal but then it was maybe not so surreal as it seemed it might be but then maybe it was actually more surreal than it seemed but Eggers is just so damn good at making everything feel like it belongs.
Really, it's a bizarre, intense, highly pleasurable piece of art and a good start to this endeavor of mine.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:22 am

daakmore wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:03 am
we can all feel the ... [media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v16KFXa2njo[/media]
Nice. Really nice.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:23 am

Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:28 am

It isn't news to anyone that Defoe is a great actor, but he really knocked my socks off here. So intense. Like he was possessed rather than acting.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:25 am

I loved The Lighthouse. If you work retail or any sort of crazy job with crazy people that movie feels a bit too close to home hehe.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:26 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:28 am
It isn't news to anyone that Defoe is a great actor, but he really knocked my socks off here. So intense. Like he was possessed rather than acting.
I also loved him recently in The Florida Project, which deservedly netted him an Oscar nomination.
Stu

Post by Stu » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:06 am

daakmore wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:12 am
That would have worked better if I could get anything, gif, youtube just literally anything to embed and not just post a link.
Fixed it for ya.

:D
Yes, I'm a mod; let me know if you need anything.

Read My Reviews
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:58 pm

Sometimes I have more to say about bad movies than good ones.

So fuck this movie right up its fucking ass.
I’ve seen some bullshit-ass movies in my time but I haven’t seen a bullshit-ass movie this bullshit in years.
What a crock of cockamamie shit from start to finish.
Shit-ass script, upitsownass “directing”, male-gazey bullshit that even made ME roll my eyes and feel a little icky, considering we’re about to watch this woman suffer like fuck-all, and I LIKE women’s bodies a lot and I was still pissed about the leering way the camera moves over her body, absolutely ridiculous, stupid, fuck-ass story, with just shit-ass plot-points and ridiculous bullshittery every few fucking minutes... I mean, apparently the shark from Jaws 4, you remember, the one with telepathy, anticipation, strategy, and a relentless sense of like revenge or whatever - I mean, this shark apparently doesn’t hunt to eat, it just hunts to be an asshole - has survived Michael Caine and is now hanging around this random “secret beach” in Mexico, where there are supposedly “no sharks here” yet it actually seems to have instantly established “hunting grounds” and really just fucks with anybody who gets in the water. This shark kills multiple people without eating any of them. Like not one fucking bite does it swallow, all the parts, including a perfect transection of the lower half of a person's body from the top, go uneaten just so they can show all the parts on-screen. Swallow something you big fuck and maybe you won't have to keep killing absolutely everyone who gets in the water.
And there's just constant tonal fuckery everywhere and everywhen, where it’s like dramatic or something then it’s like intensely suspenseful for a few minutes and then this surfer/medical student is sewing up a massive gash in her leg with her earrings and setting the dislocated wing-joint of a seagull (I am not making either of those up, they are in the movie) on a rock while a shark stalks her like a serial-killer with just whatever totally absurd shit will fill out the run-time, being chess-champion clever one minute to following henchman patrol-mechanics from Metal Gear Solid the next. Is this movie grim and terrifying and tragic or is it a Deep Blue Sea-like parody of shark-films? I don’t know… and neither does this fucking movie!
I can hardly heap enough scorn on this bullshit-ass movie. It's exactly like Crawl, which I wrote about last September, with its "we really don't know what the fuck we want this movie to be, but it will have giant alligators attacking!" bullshit and it's "just throw anything you think of on the screen and see if people will go with it" crap, but this is like twice as bad.
Just a stupid-ass “film” that can go suck a large bag of dicks and fuck off.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:32 pm

Swear count: 34
I was bored when I did this btw; keep at the thread, Wools!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:59 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:32 pm
Swear count: 34
I was bored when I did this btw; keep at the thread, Wools!
That movie got off light with 34.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:05 pm

I still kind of want to watch it tbh. I heard a few people here praise it in the past and, even if I dislike it, bad shark movies can still be a blast.

Also, The Lighthouse is great. I usually don't pay much attention to acting, but Pattinson (who's recently been widely established as a talented actor) and Dafoe (who's had a great run of performances for many years) were both amazing. And yeah, I loved the look of it. Very claustrophobic, very immersive.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:25 pm

* saying a prayer of thanks that I didn't recommend The Shallows to Wooley* :)

I don't remember hating it as much as you, but I was given the impression that this was a "good one" so I was let down for sure. Is this the one Takoma was promoting? I don't even know anymore. To be honest the recent "woman dodging shark" movies have all started to blend in my mind, so maybe I watched the wrong one. But yeah, definitely not as good as I'd been led to believe.
Thief

Post by Thief » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:27 pm

Saw The Lighthouse twice in two days. I needed that second watch. Really loved it.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:41 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:05 pm
I still kind of want to watch it tbh. I heard a few people here praise it in the past and, even if I dislike it, bad shark movies can still be a blast.

Also, The Lighthouse is great. I usually don't pay much attention to acting, but Pattinson (who's recently been widely established as a talented actor) and Dafoe (who's had a great run of performances for many years) were both amazing. And yeah, I loved the look of it. Very claustrophobic, very immersive.
I actually strongly recommend that people watch The Shallows so you can have a benchmark for Bullshit-ass Movies.

Yeah, both those guys acted their asses off without looking like they were doing any work.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:54 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:25 pm
* saying a prayer of thanks that I didn't recommend The Shallows to Wooley* :)

I don't remember hating it as much as you, but I was given the impression that this was a "good one" so I was let down for sure. Is this the one Takoma was promoting? I don't even know anymore. To be honest the recent "woman dodging shark" movies have all started to blend in my mind, so maybe I watched the wrong one. But yeah, definitely not as good as I'd been led to believe.
It is such bullshit. Right from the start there's this weird shit with the cell-phone that never comes into play again and it's like, once every twenty minutes or so, the director throws something cute on the screen just to check in that, "Hey, I'm a DIRECTOR!", that is so distracting and tonally jarring and usually has nothing to do with the narrative or the character or anything. Then you get a really creepy-level male-gaze section that doesn't just seem totally incongruous to the movie it feels downright awkward, like you're a little embarrassed as the viewer because there's not even a character watching her that it could be from their pov, it's just the camera doing slow-mo runs up her body as she gets down to her bikini and then pulls her wetsuit on, including focusing in on her breasts as she zips up the front and squeezes them together, then lingering on her ass as she paddles out to sea. Which is fine if you're making Sorority House Massacre 6, but is super-fuckin' weird here. Then the movie gets like serious and tense for like 20 minutes or so... and then next thing you know this woman is literally trying to sew up her leg with these two weird earrings and something she was wearing around her neck. Then she befriends a seagull and fixes its broken wing while she's being stalked by the shark, cause totally that's a thing, and it hasn't even gotten silly yet at that point. It devolves into some of the most ridiculous shark-bullshit I've seen this side of Sharknado, where this beast is like, "I can knock her off that thing and into the water if I keep ramming it" and stuff like that, I mean, you can almost hear the shark planning how he's gonna get her and it really seems like it's personal for the shark and he kinda goes from just being a regular ol' Great White to being this cruel, raging, vindictive thing that actually does not exist at all in the real world, while the movie starts out trying so hard to feel grounded. And it's just constant, "maybe she gets away or at least gets into a better situation, but then THIS happens, ha ha!" kinda bullshit. And then, just as a personal thing, there's kind of a lot of medical shit in the movie and, as a doctor, it's just all not just wrong but so farfetched that it's clear that there's no thought whatsoever that went into any of it, it's like just words the writers heard and such. I still don't understand what she was doing with the earrings and the gash on her leg and I've been a doctor for 17 years and used to work in Trauma at Charity Hospital. And the whole subplot about her mom and her being a medical student and shit... :roll: And the ending feels like the end of one of those Christian movies about people finding God again or whatever. Fuck.

I go on and on because I kinda don't want anybody to miss out on all the individual absurdities in this movie while just observing the overall directorial and writing failures. There's gotta be like a dozen more things I could poke at.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:55 pm

Thief wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:27 pm
Saw The Lighthouse twice in two days. I needed that second watch. Really loved it.
I actually do already look forward to seeing it again.
And it really makes me wanna watch The Witch again, which was not on my October list, not even as a deep-alternate, but may find its way in now.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:14 pm

The Witch is pretty much perfection, if not for the niggling annoyance I have with not entirely being able to connect with it for some reason. The Lighthouse bridged that gap for me though. Possibly a top three film out of everything I've watched during these six months of not working and barely leaving the house. Hopefully it has built the latticework I need to connect a little closer with the remoteness of The Witch.

I pretty much never bother with modern shark or under water creature movies. I waded through enough of them in the past that I've lost faith. Not that it's a subgenre I like much anyways. Outside of Jaws, and the modest pleasures of Pirahna and Crocodile, I actively dislike most of them. Up From the Depths, Barracuda, Shark, Orca all giant shit beds as far as I'm concerned.
Charles

Post by Charles » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:57 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:14 pm
The Witch is pretty much perfection, if not for the niggling annoyance I have with not entirely being able to connect with it for some reason. The Lighthouse bridged that gap for me though. Possibly a top three film out of everything I've watched during these six months of not working and barely leaving the house. Hopefully it has built the latticework I need to connect a little closer with the remoteness of The Witch.

I pretty much never bother with modern shark or under water creature movies. I waded through enough of them in the past that I've lost faith. Not that it's a subgenre I like much anyways. Outside of Jaws, and the modest pleasures of Pirahna and Crocodile, I actively dislike most of them. Up From the Depths, Barracuda, Shark, Orca all giant shit beds as far as I'm concerned.
If you'd like to give shark movies one last chance, I'd recommend Ghost Shark. It is, by far, the best adjective shark movie of the 10 or 20-ish I've seen.
Charles

Post by Charles » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:00 pm

Didn't care much for The Lighthouse. I can't see the coherence in it. I didn't come out of it with the feeling I get after, say, Inland Empire. The VVitch is miles above.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:20 pm

Charles wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:00 pm
Didn't care much for The Lighthouse. I can't see the coherence in it. I didn't come out of it with the feeling I get after, say, Inland Empire. The VVitch is miles above.
Same. I enjoyed Defoe's performance but otherwise I couldn't really get into it.

The Witch was awesome, plus I got to watch it in a theater by myself because some blockbuster had opened the Friday before and I went on a Monday afternoon.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:21 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:05 pm
bad shark movies can still be a blast.
Enzo Castellari's Great White (aka Last Shark) is a ball-busting blast. That goddamn water-zeppelin they call a shark just kind of bobs like he's got a killer prostate.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:40 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:21 pm
Enzo Castellari's Great White (aka Last Shark) is a ball-busting blast. That goddamn water-zeppelin they call a shark just kind of bobs like he's got a killer prostate.
I saw bits and pieces of it on youtube. The shark bobbing in and out of the water was funny.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:46 pm

Charles wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:57 pm
If you'd like to give shark movies one last chance, I'd recommend Ghost Shark. It is, by far, the best adjective shark movie of the 10 or 20-ish I've seen.
I actually saw some of Ghost Shark and it was so silly that I almost kind of bought into it.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:28 pm

I actually really liked The Shallows. I also saw it in theaters. See I went in not sure if I would like it or not and came out very surprised.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:40 am

MadMan wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:28 pm
I actually really liked The Shallows. I also saw it in theaters. See I went in not sure if I would like it or not and came out very surprised.
Well, I can't account for that.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:47 am

I came across this kinda by accident, but I’m always game for an older black and white film that has found a way to hang around, so I gave it a spin.
And I really, really liked this movie.
The story is that a big-time gangster’s widow has a “payoff list” of people who were being bribed and is heading by train to testify before a grand-jury, which is not good for mob business. A sort of Regular Joe cop, Walter Brown, is assigned to protect her. They do not get along. She’s pretty much exactly what he expected from a mob-boss’ wife and she has little regard for anything, including him, his dead partner (shot while trying to protect her), or her own safety, and now they have to take this train-ride together while mob-assassins search the train for her. One of them knows Brown and basically stalks him throughout the trip hoping he’ll give away where the widow is hiding while a nosy kid on the train keeps nearly blowing Brown’s game. Brown must get the widow safely to the Grand Jury without letting anyone know where she is, while even more gangsters board the train, and the game is afoot.
This was a pretty neat, compact little thriller with a good story, at least adequate if not better performances and direction, and some nice little twists as the script keeps it interesting as to who exactly a few on the train really are.
Not necessarily something you need to rush out and see but certainly something I can’t imagine any appreciator of old thrillers would be disappointed in.
daakmore

Post by daakmore » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:24 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:14 pm
This is how I felt also, I really felt like I should have love The Witch but something just kept it at arms length. I really need to give it a rewatch to see if that persists or if I can find my way into loving it. On the other hand The Lighthouse's batshit insanity and mesmerizing performances were somehow very approachable and enthralling to me.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:57 pm

Wooley wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:58 pm
Swallow something you big fuck and maybe you won't have to keep killing absolutely everyone who gets in the water.
Hey, bulimic sharks need our support, not scorn!

(But yeah, I totally missed that when I watched it. Hilarious)
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:35 pm

Finally.
A little history, and a true story about Wooley: Even though Blue Velvet was the hit supposedly-bizarre movie when Wooley was 14 years old and made its cable run when he was 15, Young Wooley did not see Blue Velvet because he thought that anything that was supposed to be weird that actually got popular couldn't possibly be weird enough for Young Wooley and was probably for posers. Young Wooley refused to watch Twin Peaks, too.
At 18 years of age, Young Wooley saw Wild At Heart and thought it was... ok. And since the only Lynch movies YW had seen, Eraserhead, The Elephant Man, and Dune were also nothing that blew him away (admittedly he saw Eraserhead on LSD and he did like The Elephant Man), Wooley never watched another David Lynch film.
Until yesterday.
I finally saw Isabella Rossellini, siren of my youth, sing "Blue Velvet".
But first, let's set the stage. Young Jeffrey returns from college to his hometown after his father has a heart attack and breaks his neck in the fall. While walking through a field, Jeffrey finds a human ear and he chases his own curiosity, rather foolishly, down a rabbit-hole that nearly gets him killed. Deciding to play amateur sleuth, he begins to stake out the lounge-singer, Dorothy (Rossellini), and is soon pulled into her bizarre entanglement with the psychotic small-town gangster, Frank Booth.
Dennis Hopper gives his career-resurrecting turn as a nitrous-oxide addicted, sexually-depraved, narcissistic and totally psychotic biggest-fish-in-a-small-pond. Jeffrey's inability to leave well enough alone soon has him in Frank's clutches, but the plucky youngster is still determined to save Dorothy and bring down Frank.

In all honesty, I was kinda non-plussed by this movie for a while. I can see how the Lynchianess of it might have captivated people back in 1986, but so far removed from that moment, it really didn't scoop me up and I was only marginally interested for a while. I was surprised by the awkward performances Lynch was clearly demanding from the actors (though I was immediately impressed by young Laura Dern, who's never quite had the career she should have) and caught of guard, honestly, by how low-budget the whole affair is. I mean, this whole movie either takes place in cheap, shitty apartments or outdoors, with the club being the only real "set" in the film. And until you see the first interaction between Dorothy and Frank, you kinda wonder what the big deal is. But honestly, it was not Frank, played sufficiently unhinged by Hopper, I'll admit, who finally won me over, even though he is the gravitational force of the movie.
It was Dean Stockwell.
Up until Stockwell's scene, I just kept thinking to myself, what is Frank actually doing in this small town (of course the answer is that he would get himself killed immediately in a bigger one), sure he's some kinda low-rent gangster, but in this quaint little midwestern town, what kinda gangster shit is there really to do. It's the scene with Stockwell that really unlocks the whole movie to me, showing us that even in this small town, where the local kids fret over what a "strange world" it is, there actually is a strange world, a dark side that maybe most people never see and the police don't really want to know about.
And really that's the most interesting part of this movie. It really is all built around an idea that there's an underbelly to every creature and, as long as you stay in your safe American world, you need not ever see it, but it's there and if you go looking for it, you might not like what you find. I really responded to this idea and I really loved Lynch's vision of what small-town gangster-shit is like, particularly the scene where the low-budget prostitute dances on the roof of Frank's car to Roy Orbison's "In Dreams". Really, from that moment on, I was all in.

While I've never cared much about Lynch or his work, this one has my interest piqued a bit. It's possible another of his films could find his way in this month. Just not Wild At Heart.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:15 pm

Wooley wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:35 pm

It was Dean Stockwell.

Wooley wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:35 pm
And really that's the most interesting part of this movie. It really is all built around an idea that there's an underbelly to every creature and, as long as you stay in your safe American world, you need not ever see it, but it's there and if you go looking for it, you might not like what you find. I really responded to this idea and I really loved Lynch's vision of what small-town gangster-shit is like, particularly the scene where the low-budget prostitute dances on the roof of Frank's car to Roy Orbison's "In Dreams". Really, from that moment on, I was all in.

While I've never cared much about Lynch or his work, this one has my interest piqued a bit. It's possible another of his films could find his way in this month. Just not Wild At Heart.
That's what I realized after a second viewing of the film... every town has a seedy underbelly, even the "all-American" small town with the picket fences and the nuclear families. Most people just don't see it or choose to ignore it.

I wish I'd finished my Blue Velvet analysis thread on RT... I just thought we'd have more time.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:32 pm

Death Proof wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:15 pm

That's what I realized after a second viewing of the film... every town has a seedy underbelly, even the "all-American" small town with the picket fences and the nuclear families. Most people just don't see it or choose to ignore it.

I wish I'd finished my Blue Velvet analysis thread on RT... I just thought we'd have more time.
I would like to have read that.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:41 pm

Wooley wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:32 pm
I would like to have read that.
If I knew they were going to delete the whole mess there are a lot of threads I would have saved... that was one of them.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:09 pm

Saw Blue Velvet early last year and I can see the appeal. Dennis Hopper is a gas and Dean Stockwell makes the most of his time in it.

I think my primary issue with the film was Isabella's character. I could never wrap my head about what to think of her. Not sure the film knew what to do with her either.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:23 pm

Death Proof wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:41 pm
If I knew they were going to delete the whole mess there are a lot of threads I would have saved... that was one of them.
Yeah, I've never gotten over losing all my Horrorthons.
Charles

Post by Charles » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:32 pm

Personally, I'm somewhat relieved that all the crap I wrote when I was in my late tens/early twenties is now gone forever.

Still an overall shame though. There were thousands of pages of threads on that forum. Dunno why they didn't make it read-only. Text and pictures won't take an entire building to host. Barely a single server stack I would guess.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:08 am

Don't expect this high-brow level of offerings to continue much longer, I gotta get down into the grease some too. Stay tuned.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:21 am

Yeah, there's gonna be some of this sort of thing this month, too.
Somehow, despite being a teenager with cable-TV in the 80s, I somehow missed this ridiculous thing which should have been right up my alley. Maybe by '88 I had already gotten to cork-sniffing cult-movies (which I did and do) or maybe it was on Cinemax instead of HBO, but I'd certainly heard of it, I remember when it was in the nearby dollar-theater, but even though I saw Ninja III: The Domination, I somehow missed Hell Comes To Frogtown.

The story here is another attempted cash-in on the Mad Max Post-Apocalypse genre, but this one is either a very intentionally silly take on it or it's an outright parody of it. And that's really the only reason this movie works. Because it sets out to be utterly silly so even it's accidental sins end up just being a part of the joke.
Wasteland renegade Sam Hell is captured by the Provisional Government, whose main function, it seems, is to re-propagate the human race after global nuclear war has left the population dwindling and almost entirely sterile. Men who can produce sperm are involuntarily mated with "Mothers" (women with viable ova) to spawn a new generation of people. Rowdy Roddy Piper, being the portrait of virility that he was, is a prime candidate. But he and Scientist/Government Stooge/Fighter Sandahl Bergman (Valeria from Conan The Barbarian), along with uber-hottie/warrior-enforcer, Centinella, must set out to rescue a group of potential Mothers from that den of the amphibian mutants, Frogtown.
Yowza.
And what is Frogtown? It's basically Bartertown from Beyond Thunderdome but... entirely inhabited by human/frog mutants. From strippers-with-a-heart-of-gold...
... to evil, chainsaw wielding henchmen...
... to the diabolical and sexually depraved, Mayor Toty (get it, Toty = Toady?)
... this is the ridiculous cast of characters and utterly silly story the audience is dropped right into, without the least bit of shame.

Honestly, Roddy Piper is, in a weird way, perfect for this movie. As is Bergman, really. Neither one can act their way out of a wet-paper bag, but they have exactly the right kind of high-school-play-level of thinking they're pulling it off (or are they secretly, savvy, subtle actors in on the joke and acting as if they're bad actors?... no they're just bad actors) to fit this totally ridiculous enterprise. You can tell that they both know the whole thing is totally silly and they're both trying to give comedic, absurdist performances, but because neither can act it actually comes off as even sillier, which in its own weird way, makes the movie even more successful at what it is aiming for.

Look, I cannot tell anyone that this movie is any good. It's not. It's really not. But it is a totally silly, ridiculous, self-aware and yet still unintentionally bad but in a good way, minor fun that would not hurt someone to watch as another Sunday Matinee. In fact, this would actually probably pair just fine with the similar but less silly and technically better Cherry 2000 from my other thread. Y'all might try a double-feature.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:20 pm

I tried watching Frogtown once (because Piper) but I don't think I made it through more than 20 minutes. And I RARELY have had to turn movies off.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:29 pm

This is only my fifteenth Hitchcock film. I would have thought I had seen more, my mom was a big fan, but I guess I just saw some of them over and over. Many people, including Hitchcock himself, consider it his best film. I did not know this going in, in fact, I didn't know much about it going in, it was just one I had in my queue and I was in the mood for Hitchcock. So here we go.

A man named Charlie is evading a pair of other men and decides to go hide out with his estranged family (by his older sister) in a small town. Not so coincidentally, all the way across the country, his namesake niece, Charlie, feels that the family is in a rut and suddenly decides that what they need is a visit from Uncle Charlie. So everything seems wonderful. The family are thrilled to have him back and he does not disappoint when he brings outlandish gifts to all of them, including a mink stole, a fancy wristwatch (when those were new and uncommon), and an actual emerald ring for his niece, and announces he'll open an account at his brother-in-law's bank to the tune of $40,000 (approximately $600k today), regaling them with stories of lucrative business. No one seems to question all this except, perhaps, his highly intuitive, almost psychic niece, Charlie, who seems to be able to tell that certain things have more meaning than they may seem and suggests that she and her uncle have some connection. Certainly she notices the inscription in the ring that her uncle missed but reacts with alarm to when she points it out. We as the audience assume that Charlie is a bad man but just how bad? What has he done?
From there a sort of cat-and-mouse begins between Charlie and Charlie as the young and possibly clairvoyant niece starts to piece together the (admittedly fairly simple) puzzle when two men come calling for Uncle Charlie.

There is a lot to like about this movie, for sure, especially the performances of Teresa Wright and Joseph Cotten, Hitchcock's direction, and Joseph A. Valentine's cinematography (he also filmed Rope and was nominated for Best Cinematography five times).
Shots like these two seeing each other at a pivotal moment in the film are commonplace throughout and some are really suspense-forward while others more subtle and a lot intentionally made to look as plain and milquetoast as a small town where everything is right and as it seems as can be. But things are not.
Teresa Wright was, I thought a bit of a revelation. I don't know her at all and I was surprised (not because of her performance, I can assure you) that she was nominated for Oscars for each of her first three film roles. She's fantastic here and it is really she, not Cotten, who carries the film. Cotten however is sinister as hell as a sociopath who, like so many of them, is perhaps not quite as slick as he thinks and always on the verge of being caught, propelling him to more and more desperate actions.

I did not know going in that this film is considered one of Hitchcock's best films, if not his best, and I must say I was a little surprised as I was slightly underwhelmed. Despite all the good here I've talked about, the film just didn't really wow me the way I kind of expect from films like Psycho and Strangers On A Train or even the recently-viewed Dial M For Murder, which I felt was much more of a standout that some seem to think. Not all that much really happens in the film, there's a really shoe-horned in romance angle that made no sense, and the climactic moment was pretty anticlimactic if you ask me. Roger Ebert, who loved the film, even said in his opening sentence of his Great Movie review of it, "No one would ever accuse Alfred Hitchcock's Shadow of a Doubt of being plausible..."
When I did my post-viewing research, as I always do (I don't like to know much about movies going in), I discovered that the film was not a late-black and white-era film like Psycho, but was actually from 1943. This alone changed my opinion significantly as I thought of the context of what existed before this film came out and how challenging this film must have been in its day. A serial-killer in a small town, living with an idyllic family, and I would swear (though it's hard to tell with films from bygone ages) there's a bit of a pedo vibe going on here too, it must have been something for audiences and critics in '43 and the film was immediately lauded as possibly Hitchcock's best movie to date.

But this also brings me to questions I have about how much we are influenced by expectations with film as well as with knowledge about them in general. Was I more disappointed by this film because it was Hitchcock and didn't live up to my initial expectations? Did I change my mind about how I actually felt about the film when I put it into the context of how revered it has been by others for decades and how daring it may have been for its time? One wonders.

Anyway, certainly, by any measure, a film worth seeing and it has given me a lot to chew on for the time being. At the moment I would probably put it in the low-middle, honestly, among the fifteen Hitchcock films I've seen thus far, but we'll see what happens with that over time.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:33 pm

Pair SOAD with Stoker.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:13 pm

Listing top 5 Hitchcocks would be difficult, the vast bulk of them I like pretty equally, but I'm 95 percent sure Shadow of a Doubt would make that cut.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:59 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:13 pm
Listing top 5 Hitchcocks would be difficult, the vast bulk of them I like pretty equally, but I'm 95 percent sure Shadow of a Doubt would make that cut.
Yeah, I just need to see more of his movies. You'd think seeing 15 movies by a director would be enough but in his case actually not.
Thief

Post by Thief » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:00 pm

I have Shadow of a Doubt at #10, out of 37 Hitchcock films, but I agree with crumbs. There's a bunch around it that I pretty much like equally.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---