ribbon says so

Discuss anything you want.
ribbon

Re: ribbon's rhapsody: a cinematic reckoning

Post by ribbon » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:57 pm

sudden death |hyams, 1995|
anything with jcvd is the greatest. this is so bad it's hilarious.

after tomorrow |borzage, 1932|
more raw & intrinsic than many borzage efforts where the depression ignites the intimate obstacles rather than the vast emotional expanses of the characters themselves. though comprising a less magical air than the rest, it's a bold & touching film.

downhill |hitchcock, 1927|
hitchcock seems resolute to expose the decay beneath polished society, & does so by grasping for visual invention everywhere. so good.

hearts of darkness: a filmmaker's apocalypse |bahr/hickenlooper/coppola, 1991|
a more engaging analysis of cinematic obsession & turbulent absorbtion than the film it is about, it's hard to imagine filmmaking has ever been documented with more edification.

miracle in milan |de sica, 1951|
the whimsical charm is pleasant enough, but the restrained underlying sarcasm is <3. decent.
Trip

Post by Trip » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:43 am

I'm stunned that you, and especially IMDb going by its score, think Sudden Death is so bad. The bad father redemption angle is extremely transparent, and there's a serious fight involving a woman in a fucking mascot costume, but it's otherwise a damn solid Die Hard rip-off typically "well-shot" (hah!) by Hyams, displaying all his stylistic tics. I thoroughly enjoyed it and think it's a fine picture; not especially funny. I will say JCVD's particular talents are mostly wasted by the role, however. His goofiness is squandered by a very rote sort of seriousness, his martial arts barely present. Also, Powers Boothe. I'm seeing him a lot lately, and he is sexy/scary. Anyway, I prefer Sudden Death to Timecop.
Please TRIP and Die
charulata

Post by charulata » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:45 am

that Downhill screenshot is awesome.
Podcasts: Cinema on the Road (Ep #29: CHENNAI EXPRESS et al) | They Shot Pictures (Eps #25 & 26:2013 In Review) (w/ roujin, fist & Sean) *NEW

Blog |Twitter |MUBI
Char's Cinematic Caravan | Female Gaze | We Like to Watch | Czechoslovakian New Wave | Charulata's Directors' Throwdown | Director Marathon 1: Jean Renoir

"Life affirming doesn’t mean good things happen." - James Gray
snapper

Post by snapper » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:51 am

Sudden Death > Stark Fear, havent seen the 1st one
Latest notable first-time viewings:

* The Sun in a Net / Uher
** The Seashell and the Clergyman / Dulac
The Tales of Beatrix Potter / Mills
* A Flood in Ba'ath Country / Amiralay
Times and Winds / Erdem
Most Beautiful Island / Asensio
* Japanese Girls Never Die / Matsui
* Birth Certificate / Różewicz
Bush Mama / Gerima
** Paris Is Burning / Livingston

TWEET1 | TWEET2 | FACE | BOXD | TUMBL1 | TUMBL2
ribbon

Post by ribbon » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:57 am

Trip wrote:I'm stunned that you, and especially IMDb going by its score, think Sudden Death is so bad. The bad father redemption angle is extremely transparent, and there's a serious fight involving a woman in a fucking mascot costume, but it's otherwise a damn solid Die Hard rip-off typically "well-shot" (hah!) by Hyams, displaying all his stylistic tics. I thoroughly enjoyed it and think it's a fine picture; not especially funny. I will say JCVD's particular talents are mostly wasted by the role, however. His goofiness is squandered by a very rote sort of seriousness, his martial arts barely present. Also, Powers Boothe. I'm seeing him a lot lately, and he is sexy/scary. Anyway, I prefer Sudden Death to Timecop.
That last sentence damaged me deeply! Timecop is my fave.
Maybe the issue is I don't particularly appreciate many (or any) qualities of Die Hard either, so the tonally serious one-liners & exaggerated action display while trying to remain a close to the heart 'dad redeems himself' story was doomed to fail on me. I watch Van Damme to... like, watch Van Damme as a skilled performer of martial craft & as you mentioned, it felt as if he wasn't even there. Can't say I agree with it being well shot either, you cray.
Trip

Post by Trip » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:06 am

I could prove that it's well-shot if you want :P
But I'll just say I'm quite fond of Hyams' darkdarkdark lighting (look at all the policeman shots in the carpark, beautiful), long focus lenses, lens flares, etc. He fucks up in terms of editing near the end, cutting too much from extreme distance to relatively close to the action, but mostly the camerawork is precise and the editing sensical. He's not McTiernan but he's good.

It's more serious than Die Hard. That series has Bruce having stupid fun. Hyams is typically more earnest (his son even more so, of course!), perhaps to his detriment, yeah.

Anyway, Hard Target. Hard Target.
Please TRIP and Die
dreiser

Post by dreiser » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:12 am

Love, love, love that Coppola doc.
"I hate the dark, the sharks liars. And the stems of cherry..."

Like Someone in Love (Kiarostami, 2012) 4/10
Killing Them Softly (Dominik, 2012) 2/10
The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (Pal/Levin, 1962) 6/10
The Dark Past (Mate', 1948) 7/10
New Rose Hotel (Ferrara, 1998) 3/10
ribbon

Post by ribbon » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:13 am

I forget virtually everything about Hard Target, muuuust revisit.
& yeah, feel free to prove it :D.
Captain Oats

Post by Captain Oats » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:18 am

I think The Expendables 2 is the only Van Damme film I've actually seen.
ribbon

Post by ribbon » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:20 am

Man's Castle |borzage, 1933|
Borzage's Man's Castle is a film of searing poetry largely on account of its setting emulating its technical inability due to the real life Depression, the period in which the film takes place. The humble budget reels us more closely to the characters & magnifies the grandeur taking place on screen - such as in a scene shortly after Spencer Tracy's Bill & Loretta Young's Trina meet, the two are visually disassociated from a street crowd by a scale-defying back projection. This would be unsuitable for the pursuit of realism often chased by Hollywood, but viewing it at this current time & place, the emotional ramification of showing the couple so withdrawn from the world around them is flattered by a resonance to the film's romantic motif. There are also numerous instances of eyeline mismatch which adds a certain dreamlike charm to the already quixotic characters. The film itself is delightful, & the performances (which I don't usually care to mention) are on par with the filmmaking, each convincingly illustrating a character who grapples to ensconce his or her sincere feelings beneath a pretense of philosophic composure with profound lyricism & penetrating emotional force - they beautifully accentuate the theme of infatuation conquering hardship & human frailty, & the director handles the subject with delicacy & warmth. Borzage's perception of lower depths & amplified feelings is an earnest demonstration of his inextinguishable credence in the redemptive power of love & his soundly realized prominence as a filmmaking poet of scarce ability.
charulata

Post by charulata » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:24 am

Love that Borzage <3
Podcasts: Cinema on the Road (Ep #29: CHENNAI EXPRESS et al) | They Shot Pictures (Eps #25 & 26:2013 In Review) (w/ roujin, fist & Sean) *NEW

Blog |Twitter |MUBI
Char's Cinematic Caravan | Female Gaze | We Like to Watch | Czechoslovakian New Wave | Charulata's Directors' Throwdown | Director Marathon 1: Jean Renoir

Trip

Post by Trip » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:28 am

Loretta Young ruined that for me.
Please TRIP and Die
B-Side

Post by B-Side » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:33 am

need to see more borzage
no longer on hiatus from movies(!)

next projection | twitter | frames within frames
| letterboxd
ribbon

Post by ribbon » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:34 am

Spengo wrote:I think The Expendables 2 is the only Van Damme film I've actually seen.
ha! As a more serious recommendation, I'd say watch JCVD.
Trip wrote:Loretta Young ruined that for me.
what how
Trip

Post by Trip » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:34 am

she's awful
Please TRIP and Die
ribbon

Post by ribbon » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:36 am

oh, aiight
Trip

Post by Trip » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:37 am

yeah
Please TRIP and Die
Derninan

Post by Derninan » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:23 am

Probably watched Sudden Death ten times between the ages of 11-13. Always on TV. So entertaining.
roujin

Post by roujin » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:53 am

Trip wrote:Loretta Young ruined that for me.
what the fuck you awful human being
Trip

Post by Trip » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:54 am

:D
Please TRIP and Die
Trip

Post by Trip » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:27 pm

Please TRIP and Die
ribbon

Post by ribbon » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:06 pm

ha! :D
but, like, the phrase "puck yeah!" was just used :(.
ribbon

Post by ribbon » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:18 pm

The film opens with paper silhouettes of the stars, the film ends with the actors bowing before a sequined curtain closes, & everything from beginning, end, & in between flirts with a theatrical realm where characters live as puppet figures. They're interlaced in provocative knots while cords from their histories tug & pull until they're so entwined with each other that they're unable to postpone the inevitable. It's even more stagey in the way the players involve the audience by conversing with us perhaps more often than crooning to one another, as if they can't believe the nonsensical onscreen happenings either, & Resnais as always incites his ever imaginative cinematic escapades. If you were to tell me Lubitsch himself were present during the filming, I wouldn't doubt you. His endowment is conjured marvelously by the lustrous upper class setting & resentful visits from past loves while libertines & cowards reach unbridled erroneous judgments. It also pays lovely attention to detail in a way I imagine Lubitsch himself would - we're introduced to each character with scenery which matches their outfits & personalities. Not a major or necessary merit, but a pleasantly noticeable one. It's a delightful little film & an even more charming musical. The only complaint I have wouldn't come from the film itself, but from the subtitles which are, for some reason, trying mightily to attract english speaking audiences & help them connect with the songs by changing the spoken lyrics to make them rhyme in another language which is incredibly bothersome. I had to watch it without.
screenshots:
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
charulata

Post by charulata » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:31 pm

Looks and sounds totally delightful :).

Blog |Twitter |MUBI

ribbon

Post by ribbon » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:05 pm

It is! You'd probably enjoy it.
pwiedenheft

Post by pwiedenheft » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:46 am

ribbon wrote:hearts of darkness: a filmmaker's apocalypse |bahr/hickenlooper/coppola, 1991|
a more engaging analysis of cinematic obsession & turbulent absorbtion than the film it is about, it's hard to imagine filmmaking has ever been documented with more edification.
Do you not like Apocalypse Now?
ribbon

Post by ribbon » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:50 am

I love Apocalypse Now, so I'd say that statement is a testament of how fascinating the documentary is. It isn't a better film than Apocalypse Now but it is more interesting to record the inner & outer struggles of an artist & the trials of animating his vision than simply present a 'making of' style film that may as well only be a special feature on a DVD.
ribbon

Post by ribbon » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:51 am

I see now I phrased that highlighted sentence poorly, my bad.
pwiedenheft

Post by pwiedenheft » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:54 am

Well, to be fair, I own the three disc blu-ray of AN and Hearts of Darkness is a special feature!

I haven't actually watched it in a number of years despite owning it on DVD as well. Maybe I'll have to give it another watch tonight!
ribbon

Post by ribbon » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:57 am

haha, I assumed it was but meant a special feature that numerous people don't seek out to watch on its own. & like, they do. Don't nitpick my words, guy :P!
ribbon

Post by ribbon » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:24 am

castle in the sky |miyazaki, 1986|
wish i had anything to say about miyazaki that hasn't been said a million times over. stunning fucking imagery & delightfully imaginative. one of the greats.

titicut follies |wiseman, 1967|
an absolutely terrifying glimpse into the inhuman relationship between guards & inmates. some plead for their sanity, claiming it's being taken away from them by their 'treatments'. there are moments so surreal & nightmarish that it's devastating to think that it's real.

three comrades |borzage, 1938|
another effulgent borzage romance - incautiously naive, yet wondrously delicate. his cameras arouse a typically tender air, ignite the lovers' passions, confine their contingency & their conclusive fearless triumph over death itself. easily one of his best i've seen so far.
Derninan

Post by Derninan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:59 am

I should really start watching Borzage, I feel like the fat kid eavesdropping on the cool kids' conversation around here.

Titicut Follies was my introduction to Wiseman many years ago, he's become one of my all-time favorite filmmakers since.
ribbon

Post by ribbon » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:02 am

You must! I can't stop watching him & my poor KG ratio is becoming so sad, with me even sadder because I NEED THEM.

Haven't seen any other Wiseman. Care to recommend a few?
dreiser

Post by dreiser » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:04 am

Derninan wrote:I should really start watching Borzage, I feel like the fat kid eavesdropping on the cool kids' conversation around here.
7th Heaven is my favorite Borzage.
"I hate the dark, the sharks liars. And the stems of cherry..."

Like Someone in Love (Kiarostami, 2012) 4/10
Killing Them Softly (Dominik, 2012) 2/10
The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (Pal/Levin, 1962) 6/10
The Dark Past (Mate', 1948) 7/10
New Rose Hotel (Ferrara, 1998) 3/10
charulata

Post by charulata » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:08 am

ribbon wrote:
You didn't ask me but High School is soooo great. Caveat: I still have a ton left to watch.

Blog |Twitter |MUBI

Derninan

Post by Derninan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:09 am

ribbon wrote:You must! I can't stop watching him & my poor KG ratio is becoming so sad, with me even sadder because I NEED THEM.

Honestly, every single Wiseman I've seen is worthwhile. His restraint is near unparalleled in documentary.

But some of my favorites ("favorites" being a relative term, because some of these are much harder to watch than others, a la Titicut Follies): Primate, Meat, High School, Central Park, La Danse, Boxing Gym.

I think you'd really flip for La Danse, personally. Boxing Gym is one of the best documentaries of the new decade, maybe the best. Primate will make you tear your hair out.
Derninan

Post by Derninan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:10 am

dreiser wrote:
7th Heaven is my favorite Borzage.
NO ONE ASKED YOUR OPINION thanks though, I'll probably start with that.

Are any on Netflix/Hulu+ without me needing to look?
ribbon

Post by ribbon » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:10 am

Awesome, I'll definitely jump on a few of those! Really need to expand what I watch & am sorely lacking in documentaries. Thanks, you two <3.
Derninan

Post by Derninan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:11 am

charulata wrote: You didn't ask me but High School is soooo great. Caveat: I still have a ton left to watch.
:fresh: :up: :heart:
ribbon

Post by ribbon » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:14 am

Derninan wrote: NO ONE ASKED YOUR OPINION thanks though, I'll probably start with that.

Are any on Netflix/Hulu+ without me needing to look?
Without looking either, I know Farewell to Arms is on Netflix & History is Made at Night is on Hulu+. Haven't seen either, which makes me incredibly happy.

& yeah, 7th Heaven is great. If I were to rank what I've seen so far (which isn't much considering):
7th Heaven
Three Comrades
Moonrise
Lucky Star
Man's Castle
After Tomorrow
Liliom
Smilin' Through
B-Side

Post by B-Side » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:22 am

ribbon wrote:If you were to tell me Lubitsch himself were present during the filming, I wouldn't doubt you.
I would, considering he died 56 years prior.

| letterboxd
Derninan

Post by Derninan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:22 am

Thanks for the rundown! I'll watch one soon, see what's readily available for me.
ribbon

Post by ribbon » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:24 am

B-Side wrote:
I would, considering he died 56 years prior.
he's alive in my heart, fucker
ribbon

Post by ribbon » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:25 am

Derninan wrote:Thanks for the rundown! I'll watch one soon, see what's readily available for me.
Report back :)! His heart is so apparent in his films. It's a beautiful thing.
B-Side

Post by B-Side » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:27 am

ribbon wrote:he's alive in my heart, fucker
ur a lubitsch LOOOOOOOOL

| letterboxd
ribbon

Post by ribbon » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:27 am

omg that's true
Von Samuel

Post by Von Samuel » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:31 am

20 years from now people will call Sudden Death a cinematic masterpiece. I am way ahead of the curve in my thinking it's awesome now.
Mean Old Bastard Ed

Post by Mean Old Bastard Ed » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:45 pm

ribbon wrote:Image
wish i had anything to say about miyazaki that hasn't been said a million times over. stunning fucking imagery & delightfully imaginative. one of the greats.
A little more violent and morally black & white than I'm used to from Miazaki, but pretty good nonetheless. Mark Hamill voiced villian = instant win
Bandy Greensacks

Post by Bandy Greensacks » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:54 am

ribbon wrote:Haven't seen any other Wiseman. Care to recommend a few?
Domestic Violence is my favorite so far, I'd say. It's devastating and inspiring in equal measure.
JediMoonShyne

Post by JediMoonShyne » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:30 am

ribbon wrote:Image
I rewatched this in HD recently with my daughter, since it's one of the few she hasn't seen, and yes, the imagery and artwork are perhaps even more astounding whe viewed in such detail. I love Miyazaki's European influences; his obsession with European history and culture, and how he always manages to come up with a world that is anchored by those traditions yet is also wonderfully original in its own right. The seaside town in Kiki's Delivery Service, for example, which plays an important but silent part in the film and seems to recall somewhere Scandinavian, such as Stockholm, where the warm, small-town values of security and neighborliness and are still intact despite the size of the place.
“Bisogna essere molto forti per amare la solitudine.” - P.P. Pasolini

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision