YTMN Presents a Remake Rematch Thread

Discuss anything you want.
Gort

Re: YTMN Presents a Remake Rematch Thread

Post by Gort » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:08 pm

YTMN has had me up since 6 am today working on two tech posts and two essays for the Let Me In Rematch.

I want a nap, but he wants to post them.

It's almost like having multiple personality disorder, except it isn't that. It's just...it's only...oh, it's posting on a web forum! That's what it is!
Gort/YTMN left the forum due to trolling on August 25, 2018.
I had fun. Thanks for reading!

"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:11 pm

I go back to my thread, and you follow me here.

Great. :(

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:12 pm

A Comparison of Let the Right One In (2009) & Let Me In (2010)
In the Cutting Room
2009: Tomas Alfredson, the director, was also one of the film editors on this project. Dino Jonsäter was the other. Jonsäter garnered two nominations for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy in 2011. Since 2007 he has edited mostly television episodes, but his award-winning work on Let the Right One In has led to five more feature editing gigs.

2010: Stan Salfas mostly worked in television before Let Me In, although he has credits for other features prior to that film. Since 1985 Salfas has earned editorial credits on 35 titles, but because four of the titles are TV series, he has actually cut more hours of motion pictures than it would seem at first. Salfas has been nominated for three editing awards, winning one for an Afterschool Special in 1990. He is already signed on as editor for Matt Reeves' next project, which is now filming: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. No photos of Salfas are available on the internet. He has apparently completed seven film projects.

ImageImageGo back using these buttons.ImageImageImageImageImageImage

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:16 pm

Innovations in Nosferatu, Near Dark & Låt den rätte komma in

The idea of vampirism is centuries old. That idea has been striking fear into the hearts of people for the whole time. Perhaps the notion arose from events that needed an explanation, and the undead became the needed explanation. The idea of vampires and that of zombies is similar at the root, except that zombies as conceived of in voodoo require a master. Actually, since I first wrote this paragraph I have found an article that not only corroborates the similarity of the two ideas, but explains how both ideas arose from the disease of rabies. Which means that the more recent notion of vampirism and/or zombiism as deriving from a viral infection is kind of going back full circle to the very beginning!
When Bram Stoker wrote his novel Dracula, he laid the cornerstone of a modern genre of novels, stories, plays. Then someone translated the plays and novel into a silent film, and cinema had the seed of a new fixation. Over the 88 years since Count Dracula first sucked on screen (in the guise of Graf Orlok) the notion of vampires has stayed much the same, but the fine details have shifted. They all need blood in order to survive, but nowadays fiction's vampires don't all drink human blood, and some even use synthetic substitutes. The Nosferatu of Murnau's film, and the young "girl vampire" of Låt den rätte komma in share the need for genuine, fresh human blood. For Eli, the fresher it is the more life-giving it is. And she can taste the tinge of cancer in one elderly victim's blood, which stops her cold.
The idea that the dead prey on the living is only slightly different from real life. You, my friend, cannot live unless you eat something that is recently alive, still alive, or has been alive at one time (excluding long-dead bone, which is more like a rock). If you eat rocks and dirt, you die. You must consume carbon-based, organically-derived matter in order to keep your heart beating and your brain cogitating. Most of the salads and fruit we eat are still alive at the time of consumption. The animal matter we eat is usually dead, and most often cooked. The idea of eating the living, or of eating human flesh, or consuming human blood is icky to most of us (me included), so it is a prime substance around which to weave a tale of terror and disgust.

The notion of ghosts, dead spirits, is frightening to many. What if the ghost still had fleshly form? Vampires and zombies do, even though vampires can morph into something else and move about, since Stoker meddled with the legends. Films change things as new authors think up different angles to the established ideas and forms. One change that occurred was to cross the notion of eternal undeath with the possibility that someone who was turned to vampirism might not be a teenager yet. As much as we relish the memories of our pre-teen years, we totally would not want to be stuck like that for centuries or millennia! Short, weaker than average, sexually immature. Who would want to be that way for ... well, forever?!
The earliest film I know of that features a juvenile vampire is Near Dark (1987). There may be earlier examples, and I'll correct this essay if someone lets me know about an earlier kid-vampire, but Homer is a 12-year old body who has lived as a vampire since the 1800s. He doesn't like being stuck that size, and is given a line that makes that fact plain to Caleb, newly turned because of his attraction to Mae, a teenage girl vampire.
Mae: Look, I'll take care of him!

Homer: You can't, Mae. I turned you, I taught you.

Mae: Well I turned him and I can teach him!

Severen: [smirking] What's the matter, Homer? You jealous? A little too little to be jealous.

Homer: You have any idea what it's like to be a big man on the inside and have a small body on the outside?

Severen: You have ANY idea what it's like to HEAR about it every NIGHT?
Near Dark has another innovation, besides the young Homer: this is the only film I know of from that era where vampirism can be cured.

Both Near Dark and Låt den rätte komma in/Let Me In feature vampires who burst into flames when touched by sunlight. That is a feature of Nosferatu, except that Orlok doesn't flash into oblivion, he merely fades away when hit with the rays of the rising sun. The Near Dark vamps smoke for a while and then burst into flame. The special effects in Near Dark are fascinating in this regard, because in 1987 they had to be practical effects! In Låt den rätte komma in, Virginia, after Eli feasts upon her and is interrupted before severing the spinal cord, begins to slowly turn. When she realizes what she is becoming she commits suicide by having herself exposed to the morning sun, at which time she becomes an instant fireball. Yep, vampirism is caused by an infecting agent in Let Me In.
Although my experience doesn't include the sparkling vampires of Twilight, or the HBO blood sippers on True Blood, I have seen many films featuring vampires over the years. Most are faithful to the basic aspects of vampirism invented by Bram Stoker. In this regard the novel and two films in this Let Me In Rematch are quite traditional. The basic innovation is that the juvenile-size vampire needs a helper in order to feed regularly and properly on human blood. Always before the central vampire of a story has fed itself quite well. Even the zombi-vampires of I Am Legend (The Last Man on Earth/Omega Man) feed themselves, although they may partake of communal meals in the way that the clan of vamps in Near Dark does.

Ideas have cross-pollinated and replicated throughout the past eight decades as filmmakers have toyed with the boundaries of this cinematic phenomenon: the vampire!

The Future Unreels
Gort

Post by Gort » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:19 pm

Are you trying to fill up page 29 in one day?

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:20 pm

Gort wrote:Are you trying to fill up page 29 in one day?
You can't make me.

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:20 pm

The Writers
2009: John Ajvide Lindqvist wrote the screenplay from his own novel, Låt den rätte komma in. The film was released in 2008 in parts of the world, and in 2009 in the US. This represented Lindqvist's first novel, and his fourth credited screenwriting outing. His latest project is a screen adaptation of his novel Handling the Undead which has been announced, although no release date is set for the film.

2010: Matt Reeves wrote the screenplay based on the John Ajvide Lindqvist screenplay and novel, both entitled Låt den rätte komma in. Reeves has directed 11 titles, including Let Me In, and is credited as writer on six. He created the TV series Felicity which ran from 1998 to 2002, and was a writer for that series. His first produced screenplay was for a Steven Segal film released in 1995. Let Me In is his latest screenplay, although he is currently involved in directing a Planet of the Apes movie.

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:26 pm

"Twelve more or less." What Does That Mean?

In Let Me In Abby explains her age rather circumspectly in this exchange:
Owen: How old are you?

Abby: Twelve... more or less. How old are you?

Owen: Twelve years, eight months, and nine days.
As children, we don't think of age as something imprecise. Later, Owen asks her again:
Owen: But how old are you, really?

Abby: Twelve. But... I've been twelve for a very long time.
This also makes no sense at face value, but by this time Owen is beyond caring about it.
Another point before I move away from age. I really can't be sure why the American characters had to have a name change. There are kids in this country named Oscar, although they are probably bullied for letting their parents give them such an untrendy, old-fashioned name. And calling a girl Eli would be very stylish these days. So renaming these two Abby and Owen seems like an odd thing to do.

And how could Abby be hundreds of years old living in North America? In Europe, yes, it's quite possible. But only three hundred years ago in North America there were nothing but colonial villages and Native American settlements. Europe had a greater population, while the new USA was sparsely peopled. Abby would have really stood out...and gone hungry a lot, with the reduced population of the North American continent at that time. People seem to overlook the enormous number of kills a real vampire would need. If Abby had the same 220-some-odd years that Elias does in the book, and if she had to feed every third day (there are approximately 80,354 days in 220 years, counting Leap Years), that would be 26,785 victims. Could a monster killing at that rate actually hide for two centuries? There are only a certain number of places to hide, or to move to when the gig is up locally, and especially so 220 years ago. Abby would have had to hang around in the city centers of the newborn USA, or she would have died of starvation on the Frontier!

The novel explains how young Elias lost his boy parts, and at the same time was turned to vampirism. Here's a one-way link to the Quotes page for this Rematch where you can find some excerpts about that. Neither film, not even the novel explains why, having been robbed of his genitals, the young vampire Eli chooses to dress as a girl. Oskar decides that Eli is a girl based on the clothing. But when Oskar is told by Eli, "I'm not a girl," he immediately asks if Eli is a boy. When Eli says "No, no." Oskar asks, "Then what are you?" And the young vampire answers, "Nothing."

Eli is asked to explain this answer, and says, "I'm nothing. Not a child. Not old. Not a boy. Not a girl. Nothing." Faced with such a baffling explanation, Oskar changes the topic.
The Swedish film based on the novel has one brief scene and a few lines of dialogue that clarify Eli's inter-gender condition. Alfredson's film has one shot that shows Eli's crotch with scars and no genitals, but you only get a glimpse (Thanks to Valentin at Tumblr). It can be impossible to really tell what you are looking at on first viewing. (Of course with a video disc you can pause the shot to see what the makeup people actually did.) Let Me In barely touches on the castration issue. In fact, Let Me In gives the vampire a name that is exclusively feminine, not one equally applicable to both boys and girls. There is more squick in this aspect of the novel for Americans than there is for Europeans, no doubt. But Reeves doesn't totally leave out the question:
Abby: Owen, do you like me?

Owen: Yeah. A lot.

Abby: Would you still like me... even if I wasn't a girl?

Owen: What do you mean? I don't know. I guess. Why?

Abby: No reason.
The vampire's last line lets us know that there is a reason, Abby just isn't saying.

There is also another exchange, paralleling the "nothing" exchange from the novel:
Owen: Do you want to go steady?

Abby: What do you mean?

Owen: Do you want to be my girlfriend?

Abby: Owen, I'm not a girl.

Owen: You're not a girl? What are you?

Abby: I'm nothing.

Owen: You know, it's ok if you don't want to be my girlfriend. You don't have to make stuff up.

Abby: Can't we just keep things the way they are?

Owen: Yeah, fine. Whatever.
This exchange shows that Matt Reeves possibly did not make Abby a girl vampire for American audiences, but no explanation is given. The issue is left hanging, unexplored. Reeves shot and cut a scene meant to hint at the castration. In the commentary to the deleted "Be Me" scene he offers a reason for virtually omitting the no-sex aspect of Abby's condition from his film. Reeves says it's left out because the castration aspect threatened to overwhelm the film. After reading offended comments people made about the "You're gonna love my boyfriend" line from ParaNorman I tend to agree that this might be true, for American audiences, which is what Reeves was shooting for. So Ace and I are glad Reeves cut the scene (which is nonspecific and impossible to make sense of; it only makes the slimmest amount of sense if you've read the novel).

Neither film makes a big deal of Eli's/Abby's mutilation, and offers no explanation of how it happened. The novel itself is full of so many details that are mentioned and left for you to wonder about. No explanation is offered, but none is needed. These details are literary set-dressing, like the furniture in a film scene where everyone is standing up the whole time. This kind of thing creates a sense of "reality" for the story or film, but doesn't require an explanation. In this case, what happened to Eli/Abby in the past is not the main point of the story.
In the novel, Oskar has misgivings about Eli when he learns that "her" real name is Elias. Because that's a boy's name. Oskar has to work this out in his mind. This part isn't in the film. Håkan's pederasty is also omitted from the film, and he doesn't become a zombie in the film. If you read a list of what all is in the original story, it seems like Lindqvist may have packed too many things into his plot line, but he handles it all very well. It all seems to fit. He crosses over lines in the sand left and right, not merely touching on but embracing taboos, and the end result is a disturbing and entertaining novel. That it was made into one film that captures its essence so well is astonishing. The fact that both films do it, and in slightly different ways, is doubly amazing.

There is a concrete point in the novel when the pronoun used for Eli shifts (there is no counterpart in either film).
Eli let her shoulders fall, pushed her hands into the pockets of the bathrobe, and watched the record's dark hole in the middle as if she were hypnotized. Opened her mouth as if to say something, closed it again. Took her right hand out of the pocket, stretched it out toward the record, and pushed her finger on it so it came to a stop.
"Watch it. It can get...damaged."
"Sorry."
Eli quickly pulled his hand back and the record sped up, kept turning. Oskar saw that his finger had left a damp imprint behind that could be seen every time the record spun through the strip of light from the overhead lamp. Eli put his hand back in the pocket, watching the record as if he were trying to listen to the music by studying the tracks.
"This sounds a bit...but..." the corners of Eli's mouth twitched, "...I haven't had a...normal friendship with anyone in two hundred years."
He looked at Oskar with a sorry-I'm-saying-such-silly-things smile. Oskar widened his eyes.
"Are you really that old?"
"Yes. No. I was born about two hundred and twenty years ago, but half the time I've slept."
I think this is done to reflect Oskar's realization about who Eli is, finally working out the truth and what it means to him. After that, as far as Oskar's and Eli's segments are concerned, Eli remains "he" for the rest of the book. Notice that the age issue returns in this quotation. There are constant reminders that Eli is not dead, but infected, and a great deal of sympathy is built up for him. Yet, Oskar remains our surrogate, aghast that she kills in order to eat, and he even suggests that Eli could get blood in another way, which he tries out with Tommy, a friend of Oskar's from the complex. But Oskar seems to resolve the she/he issue rather quickly, and comes to terms with it in the way that a tweener might well be able to do. Especially one as confused in his interpersonal relationships as Oskar.

Novelists, screenwriters and filmmakers who do not explain certain notions can be criticized for being incomplete, or for raising interesting points without elaboration. We could also simply enjoy the freedom that their technique leaves for us to speculate on our own. It's fun to speculate on Eli's/Abby's longevity. How all you'd need to do to kill the little vampire is to catch him and put him into an iron cage where he couldn't escape. Then he'd die for lack of blood. But the desire to live has kept him free for a long time (although Elias explains in the novel that he's slept for about half of his 220 years). Plenty can be, and has been written about the meaning of Eli's injury. None of it is conclusive. But it is one point that makes Lindqvist's story a bit different from other vampire tales.
Although this point is not the major focus of the novel, it is one of Lindqvist's donations to vampire lore. In his novel he makes two, neither of which is necessarily a first: the vampire is young, and still alive, but needing to drink fresh human blood to remain alive; and the vampire is the victim of sexual mutilation that has forced him/her into an intersex status of sorts, or better yet, a no-sex status. Not young or old. Not boy or girl. Simply nothing...but a vampire.

The Future Unreels
Gort

Post by Gort » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:27 pm

Gyah! That's enough for one day!

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:24 pm

charulata wrote:I've seen all of the ones I suggested now.
I forgot to ask if you have had a chance to read the novel. I'm currently re-reading it. I really like the almost-telegraphic style with which it's written.

The Future Unreels
charulata

Post by charulata » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:26 pm

YouTookMyName wrote: I forgot to ask if you have had a chance to read the novel. I'm currently re-reading it. I really like the almost-telegraphic style with which it's written.
I haven't read the novel in this case and doubt I'll get to it in time. I'll put it on hold at the library in any case.
Podcasts: Cinema on the Road (Ep #29: CHENNAI EXPRESS et al) | They Shot Pictures (Eps #25 & 26:2013 In Review) (w/ roujin, fist & Sean) *NEW

Blog |Twitter |MUBI
Char's Cinematic Caravan | Female Gaze | We Like to Watch | Czechoslovakian New Wave | Charulata's Directors' Throwdown | Director Marathon 1: Jean Renoir

"Life affirming doesn’t mean good things happen." - James Gray
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:39 pm

charulata wrote: I haven't read the novel in this case and doubt I'll get to it in time. I'll put it on hold at the library in any case.
Maybe you'll have time before the middle of August. It reads very quickly.

The Future Unreels
charulata

Post by charulata » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:40 pm

If I have time till the middle of August, I'm a lot more optimistic. I'll do my best :)
Podcasts: Cinema on the Road (Ep #29: CHENNAI EXPRESS et al) | They Shot Pictures (Eps #25 & 26:2013 In Review) (w/ roujin, fist & Sean) *NEW

Blog |Twitter |MUBI
Char's Cinematic Caravan | Female Gaze | We Like to Watch | Czechoslovakian New Wave | Charulata's Directors' Throwdown | Director Marathon 1: Jean Renoir

YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:44 pm

charulata wrote:If I have time till the middle of August, I'm a lot more optimistic. I'll do my best :)
I'll probably PM you sometime during the Multimatch and ask you for a short essay or something. Your own choice of topic. All but Drei have turned me down, but I like to give everyone the chance. :D

The Future Unreels
charulata

Post by charulata » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:46 pm

I promise to do my very best to come up with something and will try and come up with ideas. But yes, pls PM me because I have the worst memory.

Blog |Twitter |MUBI

YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:52 pm

charulata wrote:I promise to do my very best to come up with something and will try and come up with ideas. But yes, pls PM me because I have the worst memory.
Hmmm. So, would you like to go early in the match, or wait until I've posted a few essays and things? I mean, you could give me some great ideas that I could borrow. :shifty:

The Future Unreels
Gort

Post by Gort » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:04 pm

I see you hovering over your keyboard. Yeah. Got the graphics done and you can't stand it. Yeah.

Go ahead. Start it. You know you want to. :fresh:

The Future Unreels
Gort

Post by Gort » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:04 pm

This is the initial post for The Multimatch between
Osessione (1943), The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946),
The Postman Always Rings Twice (1981) and Jerichow (2008)
This Rematch is current as of 8 Jul 2013.
Selected by charulata
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Essays for the Rematch of Osessione (1943), The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946),
The Postman Always Rings Twice (1981) and Jerichow (2008).
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

ImageImageGo back using these buttons.ImageImageImageImage

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:05 pm

Stupid. I'm supposed to post that.

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:06 pm

This is the REAL initial post for The Multimatch between
This Rematch is complete as of 12 August 2013.
Selected by charulata
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Essays for the Rematch of Osessione (1943), The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946),
The Postman Always Rings Twice (1981) and Jerichow (2008).
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

ImageImageGo back using these buttons.ImageImageImageImage

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:37 pm

A Comparison of The Big Clock (1948) and No Way Out (1987)
Design and Such
There are often long lists of names for the various support areas on films, even as early as the 1930s. This is because most of the people who work on movies are never on screen and don't get invited to the stage at awards presentations on TV. Other than in trade publications they don't get much recognition, although when you are in the business the best reviews you can get for your work on film A is to be hired to work on film B and film C, and so forth. For some of the names below all I can offer is a link to their IMDb filmography page.

1948, The Big Clock: Full Cast and Crew at IMDb.
Wally Westmore make-up supervisor -- Westmore started on Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931), but didn't get credit for his special effects makeup work. You remember that in 1931 the onscreen transformations were done live by lighting changes (color filters) and light-reactive makeup. By 1948 Westmore was supervising a team of make-up artists on The Big Clock. In total he has an impressive list of 432 titles at IMDb. He worked on Rear Window, and Vertigo. Even an episode of The Mod Squad on TV. His last gig was The Molly Maguires in 1970. He was born in England in 1906, and died 67 years later in Los Angeles, after a phenomenally long career in American films.
Victor Young music composer (IMDb name # 0000082) -- Please note that only 81 other names occurred to the original creators of the IMDb before they added this man to their online list of film people. Young was a violinist who eventually garnered 355 credits for his work on film music, including that of composer. He is tied with Alfred Newman for the distinction of having four nominations for Best Score or Song Oscars in the same year. Young also holds the record for the greatest number of nominations before winning Oscar. His score for Around the World in 80 Days (1956) won, but Young had already died in November of 1956 before the Oscar ceremonies for that year's releases. So, his only win was posthumous. Many of his IMDb credits are for stock music that he composed under the studio system, whereby the same cuts might be used in many films.
Sam Comer set decoration -- Between 1934 and 1967 Comer was the set decorator on a staggering 312 titles. He won four Oscars. And his final job was set decorator on 202 Bonanza episodes for television. Everything you saw on the sets of Sunset Boulevard, Vertigo, Rear Window, The Ten Commandments...those were acquired and placed by Comer and his team.
Roland Anderson art direction -- The Big Clock and 92 other feature films look the way they do because this man did his job. An example: Breakfast at Tiffany's...the look of sets and properties are Roland Anderson's brainchild. He worked across genres both under the studio system and in indy films. His last work was for The Sterile Cuckoo in 1969. He lived 20 years in retirement, before passing on at age 85 in 1989. Who knows, he might have seen the remake of The Big Clock before he died.
Edith Head costumes -- The most prolific and most famous of Hollywood costumers, this woman's name was everywhere before my eyes when I was a film-buff youngster. No wonder, since she designed costumes for 437 titles. These include Wings (uncredited, 1927 her second gig) through hundreds of films that played on TV in the afternoons and evenings. Plus, she was still designing costumes for new films when I was first married and watching HBO to see Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (her last job). In the course of all this she won 8 Oscars. The IMDb bio page makes this claim: "Her 35 Oscar nominations and 8 awards make her both the most honored costume designer and woman in Academy Award history to date."
Gene Garvin sound recordist -- from 1939 until 1981 Mr. Garvin's work was intended to make it possible for you to hear the actors and actresses, trains, planes and automobiles whenever you went to the movie theater or watched TV. He was associated with several different jobs, sound recording, sound mixing and so forth from film to film. On The Big Clock he was the first of two credited sound recordists. I've heard his work in Stalag 17, The War of the Worlds and Strategic Air Command, among dozens of other films I've enjoyed. For me sound is even more important than picture, so I thought it would be good to point out the two men who made it possible to hear Milland and others in this film!
Hugo Grenzbach sound recordist -- Grenzback worked alongside Garvin on The Big Clock. You heard Audrey Hepburn's beautiful voice to go along with her beautiful self when she was having Breakfast at Tiffany's because Hugo Grenzbach came to work every day. For 30 years he recorded, and sometimes mixed the sounds that make sound films so wonderful. He worked with Jerry Lewis on more than one project, The Disorderly Orderly in 1964 being close to the end of Grenzbach's career. He recorded sound on three pictures in 1965 and then retired. He lived to be 79 years old, and died in Honolulu, Hawaii in 1980. So he might also have seen the remake of The Big Clock.

1987, No Way Out: Full Cast and Crew at IMDb.
Maurice Jarre composer -- Remember Dr Zhivago and the haunting melodies from the music in that movie? Remember Dead Poets Society? Enemy Mine? The music you heard sprang from the mind of Mr. Jarre. How he managed to be associated with a piece of tripe-music like the title track for No Way Out, I'll never know. Someone must have insisted that he use synth long after Star Wars had re-established orchestral music for film scores. Beginning in 1952 Jarre composed music and conducted music for scores of films. His path into music and film scoring was not that of many professional musicians. He had two sons, one of whom is a prominent musician. Jarre worked across genres and continents, scoring American and European films throughout his career. His music is usually fitting and inventive, if not innovative. That's why I find the numbness of the No Way Out theme so incredibly unexpected, given the name of the composer!
Ilene Starger casting director -- Ms. Starger is still working in casting films, although her latest IMDb credit listing is from 2009. She has 33 credits from 1986 to 2009, including several that required her to find children to perform major roles in films. The most notable of these probably is School of Rock (2003).
J. Dennis Washington production designer -- his first design was in 1981 for the film Victory. Stand By Me, No Way Out, Angels in the Outfield, Dante's Peak, The World's Fastest Indian, and Shooter are among 32 films to date that all look the way they do because of Mr. Washington's efforts.
Anthony Brockliss art director -- With art direction credits on only three titles, including No Way Out, Brockliss has nonetheless left his mark on filmed entertainment as the production designer for 10 titles. He made Sliders look the way it did on TV, in large part. Most of his work has been in television since he got his start in 1977.
Bruce A. Gibeson set decorator -- Gibeson started out on the Nancy Drew TV show in 1977. His work has mostly been on the sets of television shows, but there are periods when he has mostly feature film credits. No Way Out comes in the middle of a four-year stretch of these. His latest IMDb credit is from 1997, so Gibeson may have retired.
Michael Hancock make-up -- Sixty-seven titles since 1970 have presented to us actors and actresses who benefited from the work of Michael Hancock. The guys in Deliverance received his deft touches, as did the cast of Altered States, No Way Out, Amistad, Unforgiven, and Se7en.
Mark Longenecker craft service -- Longenecker's only IMDb credit is for No Way Out. Maybe he didn't like catering food for a movie crew. But I'll bet they were glad he did his job and provided food and drink for cast and crew. Or maybe they didn't like what he did, and that's why he doesn't have credits for movies B, and C, and so forth!
Horst Grandt property master -- Grant has property master credits on 39 titles, only one of which is a TV series. His latest is from 1994, his first in 1972. He (along with his staff) has acquired, gotten fabricated, cataloged, and provided at the right time on the correct set the things that actors and actresses handle in these films. This is a meticulous job, and in large part it makes each film look the way it does. The property master works with the art director and production designer to help them realize their ideas of how the film should look. For No Way Out he had to acquire a computer printer, a large TV monitor, a Polaroid camera, several firearms, a desk that looks like the Secretary of Defense might prop his feet on it, a little red sports car, a jeweled box, a wheelchair and everything else that you saw people use or touch (apart from costumes) in the film.

The Future Unreels
dreiser

Post by dreiser » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:17 am

I usually love Maurice Jarre's soundtracks for David Lean, but the other night I watched Ryan's Daughter. The main theme was "It Was a Good Time" I believe. Just seemed like an annoying mismatch of sound to the period, tone, and Irish landscapes of the film. A real distraction for me.
"I hate the dark, the sharks liars. And the stems of cherry..."

Like Someone in Love (Kiarostami, 2012) 4/10
Killing Them Softly (Dominik, 2012) 2/10
The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (Pal/Levin, 1962) 6/10
The Dark Past (Mate', 1948) 7/10
New Rose Hotel (Ferrara, 1998) 3/10
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:38 am

dreiser wrote:I usually love Maurice Jarre's soundtracks for David Lean, but the other night I watched Ryan's Daughter. The main theme was "It Was a Good Time" I believe. Just seemed like an annoying mismatch of sound to the period, tone, and Irish landscapes of the film. A real distraction for me.
Ha ha! That's one film with a Jarre soundtrack that I haven't seen.

The Future Unreels
dreiser

Post by dreiser » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:58 am

YouTookMyName wrote: Ha ha! That's one film with a Jarre soundtrack that I haven't seen.
It's a solid epic that suffers from following so many great Leans.

YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:03 am

A Comparison of The Big Clock (1948) and No Way Out (1987)
Learn More on teh Netz

Image We always begin with the Wikipedia.
The Novel:
Kenneth Fearing
The Big Clock (novel)

1948 film:
The Big Clock (movie)
John Farrow director of the 1948 movie.
Ray Milland.
Maureen O'Sullivan.
Charles Laughton.

1987 film:
No Way Out (movie)
Roger Donaldson director of the 1987 remake.
Kevin Costner.
Sean Young.
Gene Hackman.

a 1976 film that I couldn't find an NTSC Region 1 copy of:
Police Python 357 in French about a joint German-French film. Click the translate button.
Police Python 357 in German about the same film.
You can find the film on DVD, if you live in a Region 2 country, or if you have a region-free player. Perhaps if you KG there is a copy available.

Image NEWSY sorta LINKS:

Movie Malice Aforethought: An Inquiry into the Phenomenon of Remakes Edward Cline 2006.03.05 in Capitalism Magazine. "Why is Hollywood producing so many remakes of older movies, especially of those that do not need to be remade?"

Image ACADEMIC sorta LINKS:

The signifcance of Utah in the film noir classic The Big Clock. Webpage created 14 August 2004. Last modified 11 April 2005. "The Utah references in The Big Clock feature film were apparently created by the screenwriters. The film is a fairly faithful adaptation of the novel by Kenneth Fearing, but the novel contains no mention at all of Utah or Salt Lake City. I also could find no mention of the man known in the film only as "Fleming" - the person that George Stroud was supposed to go see in Utah."

The Big Clock (1948) A murderous publisher’s corporate noir. By Clint Hendler; 10:53 AM - July 22, 2011. Columbia Journalism Review. "As for the implicit moral lessons, they track closely with other films of the genre. Be wary of those with power and wealth, especially those who are mean, impulsive, demanding, and promiscuous. And mind the seduction of mammon, which can distract from love and family."

Film Noir of the Week: The Big Clock (1948) Written by Tim (aka Mappin and Webb Ltd.) 11th February 2007. "This implausible scenario sets up the movie’s real goods which consist of an unconventional cat and mouse game where the lines between prey and predator are crossed and re-crossed by Laughton and Milland."

The Big Clock - Kenneth Fearing (21/81) Posted by VictoriaPL, Wednesday, March 11, 2009; from The 999 Challenge. "I picked this book because I read that it was the basis of the movie No Way Out. There was another, earlier, film made off of it too. I can see why they keep coming back to it, it's very clever. It reminds me of the movies The Fugitive and Out of Time and of Ira Levin's A Kiss Before Dying, which was one of my favorite books last year."

Skyscraper Cinema: Architecture and Gender in American Film By Merrill Schleier. On Google books. "Many of the cinematic skyscraper's hermetically sealed public offices, which are shot in deep focus, seem too large, causing the actors to seem further dwarfed and compressed."

Image REVIEWS and INFORMATION:

Review: “The Big Clock” December 31, 1947. Variety Magazine.

The Big Clock Reviewed by Glenn Erickson at DVD Savant. "The Big Clock is so complicated that I still have unanswered questions about minor plot details, and I've seen the picture four or five times."

The Big Clock (1948): “the wrong people always have money” By Tony D'Ambra – September 12, 2010. "Thankfully the affair is saved by an uproarious turn from a supporting actress in a part that occupies less than seven minutes of screen time. British-born character actor Elsa Lanchester – Laughton’s wife and Mrs Frakenstein in the camp classic Bride of Frankenstein (1935) – is a zany bohemian painter, who by chance gets tangentially mixed-up with Milland and proceeds to steal the picture...."

The Big Clock (John Farrow, 1948). "(This post is a contribution to For the Love of Film (Noir): The Film Preservation Blogathon, which is being hosted by Marilyn Ferdinand of Ferdy on Films and the Self-Styled Siren. You can go here to read more about the Film Noir Foundation and its efforts to preserve important films for future generations, and you can go here to make a donation.)" With pictures and words. Posted Wednesday, February 16, 2011 on The Blue Vial.

John Farrow at NNDB.com.

Five Fave Classic Cinematographers, Pt. 1: John F. Seitz from Paula's Cinema Club. "If anyone out there has attended a TCM Party hosted by me, you know I always natter on about great Old Hollywood cinematographers, the crisp blacks and whites and beautiful contrast they produced, etc. etc. There are a few names that come up repeatedly, more often than most.... But with this post I’m beginning a series about five less well-known DPs who are equally deserving of some attention." She begins with John F. Seitz, who shot the 1948 film.

JOHN ALCOTT from the Internet Encyclopedia of Cinematographers. "By the time of his tragically premature death in 1986, John Alcott had established himself as one of the world's leading directors of photography. In particular, his association with director Stanley Kubrick had put him at the forefront of technical and aesthetic developments in his field." A little bit more about the man to whom No Way Out is dedicated in its closing credits.

No Way Out by Roger Ebert. August 14, 1987, from RogerEbert.com. "The movie begins with the same basic situation that was always one of Alfred Hitchcock's favorites: An innocent man stands wrongly accused of a crime, and all the evidence seems to point right back to him. In "No Way Out," there are a couple of neat twists. One is when the innocent man is placed in charge of the investigation of the crime."

No Way Out (1987) from The New York Times, By Vincent Canby. "When Susan is murdered by Brice, his loyal aide (Will Patton) dutifully destroys the evidence and invents the fallacious theory that a KGB mole was responsible. Tom is assigned to locate that mole -- a perilous situation, since Tom knows that no such mole exists, but must go along with the charade since he was the last person who was seen with Susan."

No Way Out. Kevin Costner and Gene Hackman get themselves brilliantly tangled up in Roger Donaldson's remake of a Forties classic.. "The dialogue is quick and sharp, the final twist is a subversive corker and the faithfulness to the original (The Big Clock) impressive, although the noir feel of the original is somewhat lost in the wide-open spaces of Washington D.C." From Empire online.

Guest Post: Five Favorite Movies with a Twist Ending from flixchatter. August 23, 2011 by ruth. "2. No Way Out: This underrated and little-seen suspense thriller from 1987 was truly nail-biting and had a nice twist ending." Hmm. Maybe some people like the twist better than I do.

Movie Review: THE BIG CLOCK (1948). Posted by Steve under Mystery movies, Reviews. Sat 28 Feb 2009. "Milland is very good as the man who finds himself more and more trapped in a web partly of his own making, as his own team of reporters continues to close in on him at Jaroth’s command."

Image MISCELLANY and TRIVIA:

Blood of the Vines: THE BIG CLOCK. Posted on November 16, 2011 by Danny. "Janoth is played by Charles Laughton, who was a bit of a wine collector in his lifetime. The last bottle of his private collection was sold at a British auction in 2008. It was a rare bottle of Chateau Lafite 1870 which brought 3,450 pounds at the gavel. I don’t have my money converter on me, but I think that figures out to somewhere between a hundred and a million dollars. You lost me at a hundred."

Ray Milland's Suit in The Big Clock (1948) posted at The Fedora Lounge.

From the Internet Movie Cars Database: The Big Clock, Movie, 1948. "1942 De Soto Custom; 1946 De Soto De Luxe; 1940 Plymouth Roadking"

No Way Out trivia page at IMDb. "After playing a call-girl in No Way Out, Sean Young wanted to play another one in her following film Wall Street. The same part eventually went to her former Blade Runner co-star Daryl Hannah, and Young got the smaller role of Gordon Gekko's wife, due to disagreements with director Oliver Stone." -- "During the scene on the subway train, some of the passengers appear to recognize Kevin Costner."

The Big Clock trivia page at IMDb. "When producer Richard Maibaum first came on the set, director John Farrow who liked to intimidate people who worked with him, kept him at a distance by using a walking stick. Maibaum turned around, went to the props department and returned with a baseball bat."

A real-life Big Clock. Nothing to do with the movie or novel, though.

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:48 pm

Not Had Enough?

Are you craving more knowledge about these two films? Well, here are a few links I ran across while researching them for this Rematch. Enjoy!

Image We always begin with the Wikipedia.
The Novel:
Let the Right One In (novel).
John Ajvide Lindqvist.

2008 2009:
Let the Right One In (film).
Tomas Alfredson.
Kåre Hedebrant.
Lina Leandersson.
Per Ragnar.

2010:
Let Me In (film).
Matt Reeves.
Kodi Smit-McPhee.
Chloë Grace Moretz.
Richard Jenkins.

From the Let Me In Wiki
"The Father"/Håkan.
Abby/Eli.
I'm sure you can find more entries there on your own!

Image NEWSY sorta LINKS:

Novelists Stephen King and Ajvide Lindqvist embrace 'Let Me In'. "Stephen King was so unhappy with Stanley Kubrick's version of 'The Shining' that he produced his own made for TV version with Steven Webber… we'll just leave that at that. The point is that novelists have a very personal relationship with their novels. They are the sole creators of a universe on paper. Films, on the other hand, are a collaboration of hundreds of people, each one with their own internal vision contributing to the final work on celluloid." From Hitfix.com

UPDATED: Let The Wrong Subtitles In To LET THE RIGHT ONE IN?!. Posted by RobG on March 30, 2009 09:36 PM. "EPIC FAIL. -- I hate to say this because I've been a huge advocate of this movie from the get-go, but because of my love of this movie, I have to strongly advise against buying the Magnolia/Magnet US DVD or Blu-Ray version of LET THE RIGHT ONE IN, because it is NOT the version of the movie the director would've wanted you to experience."

The ‘Let The Right One In’ Subtitles Scandal. Posted 4 years ago by Kofi Outlaw at ScreenRant. "Okay, so this story totally went over my head, but apparently there’s been uproar around the blogosphere about the U.S. DVD/Blu-ray release of the Swedish film Let The Right One In, which happened to be my favorite of Screen Rant‘s international picks of 2008."

Image ACADEMIC sorta LINKS:

Sick idea: how rabies spawned vampires and zombies. Posted at TheVerge.com by Sarah Pavis on April 18, 2013 01:45 pm. "“What disturbs me is I smashed his mouth off, I smashed his teeth in, but he still wanted to continue in the attack mode. I was terrified at [its] resilience.” -- This gory description could have been one of many zombie survivor stories from the novel World War Z, but it’s actually a man’s factual description the tenacity of a rabid raccoon he beat to death with a hammer in the non-fiction book Rabid."

Movies you hated that everyone else loves. From a post by Brittan about 4 years ago in the mubi.com forum thread "Movies you hated that everyone else loves". Scroll way down and you'll read: "I hated Let the Right One In (with the exception of the pool scene, I’ll give it that). I think I’m the only person on the planet that didn’t love it but I didn’t. I thought it was underdeveloped and silly. It could have had me with the cinematography but I couldn’t get past how unfulfilled I felt after watching it."

Comparison of LET ME IN to the Original Swedish LET THE RIGHT ONE IN Novel and Film. by Bill Graham Posted: October 4th, 2010 at 3:00 pm at Collider.com. Probably better than my whole Rematch. "So, let’s have some fun. If you have seen the original Swedish vampire film Let The Right One In by Tomas Alfredson, read the original novel by John Ajvide Lindqvist, and saw Matt Reeves’ Let Me In this week, this is the place for you."

Book vs. Film: Let The Right One In. At AVclub.com by Tasha Robinson March 20, 2009. "Some people think it’s better to read a book before seeing the film it’s based on, because the way films focus on surfaces—facial expressions, rather than thoughts; actions, rather than internalized motivations—can be confusing; getting the full version of what the characters want in advance can make the story of a movie easier to understand. On the other hand, books are almost always more complicated than movies, which generally have to cut a lot out of an average 300-page story to get it down to an average 90-minute runtime. So reading the book first can set up a lot of expectations that the movie just isn’t going to carry out."

Image REVIEWS and INFORMATION:

Let The Right One In Review. From ScreenRant; posted 4 years ago by Kofi Outlaw. "Short Version: Let The Right One In is one of the greatest vampire movies ever made; a worthy Oscar contender for International Film of the Year." Kofi, then, liked the film.

Discuss: Are Remakes Like 'Let Me In' Any Less Genuine or Honest?. posted on FirstShowing.net by Ethan Anderton February 27, 2012. "However, the point remains as to whether any remake, no matter how good, somehow feels less honest, special or genuine, merely because it's been told before. In the case of foreign films, it can easily make the film easier to relate to for audiences who don't live in Sweden, France, Spain or any country with a film worth remaking." I quoted some of this article in one of the essay posts, but I canceled the essay! So, here's the article.

Let the Right One In vs. Let Me In. posted on We, The Infected, A forum to discuss John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel and films based on it. Initial post in thread by gattoparde59 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 at 10:55 am. Six pages.

Will Let Me In Do Right by Let the Right One In?. From The Brown Tweed Society, July 6, 2010, by Matt Shorr. "You should know right off that Swedish film Let the Right One In is a love story, which is why IMDb includes it in the romance genre (along with drama, horror, and mystery). It’s a beautiful love story. Morbid, sick, and wrong (especially given the age of the characters and a 1-second scene when changing clothes—you’ll know it when you see it), but beautiful nonetheless. It also turns out to be a hell of a vampire movie."

Image MISCELLANY and TRIVIA:

Let The Right One In Script - Dialogue Transcript. "Voila! Finally, the Let The Right One In script is here for all you fans of the Swedish vampire movie. This puppy is a transcript that was painstakingly transcribed using the screenplay and/or viewings of the movie to get the dialogue. I know, I know, I still need to get the cast names in there and all that jazz,..." They always say that, and then they never put in the rest of the information. I used this for some quotes that weren't widespread on the net.

Let the Right One In trivia page at IMDb. "Though the film takes place in Blackeberg, a suburb of Stockholm, the film principal photography was shot in Luleå in the north of Sweden, to ensure enough snow and cold weather." -- "Almost every scene in the movie contains the color red or red/orange, a clear reference to the color of blood, the only food Eli can consume."

Let Me In trivia page at IMDb. "The word "vampire" is only said once in the film." -- "The trash bag that Richard Jenkins wears over his head in the murder scenes was the actor's idea. "

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:57 pm

Design and Such
It's easy to understand that the careers of people working on both these films are liable to be somewhat shorter than those for Rematches that include a 40- or 50-year old film, because some of these technicians have only just begun their careers. I can't be sure that modern films have more people working on them than those of the 20's through the 80s, but the lists of credits have come to include many more people.

It would be pretentious of me to say that I select the best and most interesting for these production crew posts. I have no idea what each person's significance is to the movie. What we can be certain of is that the film as we experience it is the amalgam of the ideas, vision and sweat of a lot of people, some of whose names we can learn from the list that scrolls after the story finishes. Others we still don't know by name. So I select a few higer-profile jobs, and then i randomly pick several who made a contribution, and got their name in the crew credits.

2008 2009: Let the Right One In IMDb Full Cast and Crew --
Johan Söderqvist -- composer. I read a kind comment that someone made about how Söderqvist's music follows the romance of the story in Let the Right One In. Sometimes he allows his music to become dark and foreboding, but just as often he will key on the puppy love between Eli and Oskar. There was going to be an essay about the soundtracks for these films, but it was one that got canceled. I'd have used some youtube OST clip links if I'd pressed forward. Söderqvist hasn't won an Oscar yet, but it might be just a matter of time. Since 1991 he has composed the soundtrack for 54 feature and TV titles.
Eva Norén -- production designer. Since working on a Swedish TV series in 1973, Norén has earned production designer credits on 47 titles, including the 2008 Låt den rätte komma in.
Henrik Andersson -- props. No one on this production is called Property Master, so I can only assume that Andersson was in charge of the properties. He acquired and kept track of all the things that represent the 1980s in Sweden, apart from the costumes. The images look realistic for that time period only to the extent that Andersson and his team did their jobs correctly. I think they did well. Although, I have to confess that I never saw Blackeberg, Sweden in the 1980s. Andersson has credits in seven different production areas, with the most (29) in the area of props.
Maria Strid -- costume designer. Ms. Strid kept track of the 1980 wearable props, so that the kids and adults in the film looked like they just walked in from 198x and began to live in front of us. Strid has 11 credits as costume designer, with 32 as makeup artist. Her forte seems to be appearance. She has worked in the Swedish film industry since 1987.
Lars Smedinge -- set dresser. Mr. Smedinge was put in charge of taking the props that Mr. Andersson acquired and placing them convincingly on the set. I suppose his hands might have been the ones that set Oskar's record player onto the table where it rests in the scene following Eli's bloodbath when she comes in without being asked. Smedinge has 19 credits in his IMDb list.
Richard Löthner -- foley artist, and Ulf Olausson -- foley artist. Without the work foley artists do, movies would sound very bland. Löthner has 52 credits in the sound department, 7 of them as foley artist. Perhaps this is not where he intended to be. In 1997 he earned one director credit for a short film. Olausson has 146 sound department credits, almost all as foley artist, and ranging from 1997 to the present. His earliest credit at IMDb says "foley artist."
Andreas Cronström -- compositor. In 2008, Cronström was working for a digital effects house called Fido Film. (That's pronounced "feedo" in Swedish, by the way.) Let the Right One In was his third film project. He is now up to 16 credits and is still working. Compositing is one of those jobs (like editing) that is invisible if you do it really well. So, if you saw Kon-Tiki last year you didn't see his work. Nor do you see it in the TV series Game of Thrones. Unless he has a bad day, or technical problems with the green screen compositing software.
Maggie Widstrand -- casting director: children. I assume that Ms. Widstrand was in charge of casting all the kids besides Hedebrant and Leandersson. But, for all I know, this woman who seems to specialize in selecting children for movie casts, may have been the one who introduced Thomas Alfredson to the two stars of the picture. She must be excellent with children, either the selection of the right kids, or her willingness to keep looking, because of her 29 credits, 22 of them involve casting the kids in the titles. Her next project after Let the Right One In is a film I've seen, Patrik, Age 1.5. It's a comedy, and involves families with children.
Annelie Arrefelt -- animal trainer. Her IMDb filmography page doesn't say so, but I assume Arrefelt was in charge of teaching the live cats to do what they do in the movie. She may have trained cats to do the motions that Fido Film techs used to model the CGI cats that attack Virginia, for all I know. Most of the cats in most shots are living creatures, and this woman was in charge of them (as far as I can tell). She has only three IMDb listings, but they all deal with animals.

2010: Let Me In IMDb Full Cast and Crew --
Michael Giacchino -- composer. Although I've seen his name on many credit rolls, I couldn't identify a style when I thought of the music that this man has composed for 102 titles. His first composer credit is for a video game released in 1995. Two years later he composed the score for Legal Deceit, a feature film that I haven't heard of, but his career has really snowballed since those days. Giacchino's music powers the two new Star Trek films, The Incredibles, Up, the TV series Lost, and many others, of course. His score for Let Me In keys off the love story aspect (just as Johan Söderqvist's does), so that sometimes we hear a romantic, soft cue while we're looking at a little girl who has blood dripping down her chin. The contrast is good.
Avy Kaufman -- casting director. This is the woman who got Haley Joel Osment for Night Shyamalan's The Sixth Sense. If you look through her 170 listed titles you'll notice two things: one, she has 15 unreleased films that she's casting director for, and two, you'll recognize many of the high-profile titles in her list. In 1987 Ms. Kaufman was put in charge of casting extras for Sweet Lorain. Yeah, I've never heard of it either. But had you heard of Avy Kaufman? You've seen the results of her work in a lot of filmed entertainment.
Ford Wheeler -- production designer. Mr. Wheeler's work is seen, but he doesn't get to have his name on it while we watch the picture. Without his work Let Me In would have looked very different. So would 12 other features made since 1995. Wheeler also works as a set decorator. He did that job for the Larry Clark film Kids, and Any Given Sunday, Bamboozled. A total of 11 titles. Since 2006, Wheeler has moved into overall production design, beginning with the 2007 release We Own the Night.
Guy Barnes -- art director. It is the job of the art director to unify the vision of the set designers, prop crew, and other visual artists under the aegis of the production designer. Guy Barnes does both jobs, having 23 art director credits and 34 as production designer. He has been nominated more than once for a prime-time Emmy award. Besides Let Me In, I've heard of two others of his films: Sunshine Cleaning (2008) and Brothers (2009).
Wendy Ozols-Barnes -- set decorator. Wendy Barnes, as she is usually credited, has been decorating Hollywood sets since 1993. Since she was a set decorator on Matt Reeve's vampire movie, she has done the job for 8 more features. A lot of her work is for TV movies, but with the expansion of cable, I imagine that most movies made are for one cable network or another. She has one nomination for a primetime Emmy for Into the West (2005).
Melissa Bruning -- costume designer. Bruning has 16 costume design credits under her belt, and an additional 4 credits as assistant costume designer, or stylist. She even directed a short film in 2008. Her work on Let Me In goes a long way toward accomplishing the overall design that Ford Wheeler worked toward. It isn't easy keeping a 30-year old style sense nearly invisible. After all, we're supposed to look at these people as if they are currently living out the story. Bruning accomplishes the necessary invisibility by choosing subdued style cues, and many items that haven't changed a great deal since the 80s. She was also the costume designer for Super Troopers and Club Dread. Reeves must have been happy with her work, because she's the costume designer for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, his curent project in production.
Andy Clement -- makeup prosthetics. When Abby goes vamp you're looking at Andy Clement's work. Clements has 49 credits in the make-up department. He worked on Cloverfield, and Star Trek (2009). For Cloverfield he did animatronic special effects. For Star Trek he was make-up artist. It helps to know how to do things well. And being the "brother-in-law of Melanie Shatner" can't help but get you in some doors.
Brett Andrews -- property master. Once again, and especially for a period movie, I can't emphasize the influence of the property master enough. Think of the thousands of items that have to be used in a film. Many of them are set decorations that no one ever touches, and the camera may never focus on, but the presence of an object might give a shadowy authenticity to a shot. Sometimes props are crucial to telling the story. Sometimes they are needed to create realism for the actors and audience. Andrews has been moving into a little more armoring work in the past few years. His primary credits, though, are related to props on 32 titles. One of these has appeared in this thread. He was the fellow whose job it was to get Logan Lerman's gun to the set on time in 3:10 to Yuma. He wasn't giving the orders in those days. His credit is "second assistant props," but in only three years he had moved up to being in charge of people like he used to be. He isn't always in charge, but he's working on bigger pictures, now. Like The Avengers, and Iron Man 3.
Amahl Lovato -- set designer. You recall how important Joseph MacMillan Johnson's set design is to Rear Window, don't you? Well, whenever we "inside" on Let Me In, even sometimes when it's a location shoot, what you see that appear to be solid walls are actually just glorified flats. They can move and swing out of the way, even be removed completely for reverse angle camera set-ups. But there wouldn't be as much flexibility without people like Amahl Lovato, who has to engineer not only the realistic appearance of the sets, but the production-oriented features that don't show when you or I look at the images shot on those sets. Although sometimes Lovato is a model-maker, most often the 31 art department credits he has earned are for designing the sets on which the action takes place.
Kurt Peterson -- boom operator. It might seem like a silly job, waving a stick around that has a microphone on one end of it. But think of it this way: It's Kurt Peterson's job to keep the microphone out of the usable area of the frame, while at the same time getting it close enough to the actors to record their dialogue. He's good enough at it that people have been calling him in ever since his first gig as boom operator in 1994. At the time I write this he's got 3 unfinished credits working at IMDb, for a total of 81 credits as boom operator (and one as actor). If you're good at something there's work to be had. That's what I think. I wonder if he had determination that got him the first few gigs, or if he just found out to his surprise that he's good at it.
Roger Stoneburner -- stunt double: The Father. This is the man who got tossed about inside a car torso on the soundstage. He's possibly the man who slipped and slid down a hillside trying to catch a rolling plastic jug of blood.
Shane Harris -- digital intermediate colorist. This was the person who probably said, "Oh, God, not another teal and orange movie. Come on, let's do something a little different." To which Matt Reeves would have said, "But people love teal and orange." I don't know whether this exchange actually took place. I congratulate Mr. Harris for building a career that's lasted through 16 titles so far, as a film colorist. But I urge him to look at Let the Right One In and Let Me In and realize that the Swedish film looks prettier. And if he agrees with me, than I urge him to somehow work up the gumption to tell the next editor/director that his/her reputation for creativity rides on coming up with something besides teal and orange. :D Just joking. Sort of. Shane Harris had the same job on Collateral, Man on Fire, The Lincoln Lawyer.

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 pm

:heart: :heart: :heart: Well, we've gone through 16 Rematches together so far. :heart: :heart: :heart: The 17th is beginning.

Ordered a DVD of the 1981 Postman Rings movie, and was disgusted to learn that it's in 1.33:1 format! As I researched what to do about this unsavory turn of events, I learned that the DVD I got from teh Flix is also full-screen. Most of what I can buy is full-screen. And I took a risk that CDUniverse is correct in claiming that their DVDs are widescreen. I'll search every bit of text on the cover before I unwrap it, by golly. Can't return the one from Amazon because I tore off the cellophane before I read the dread notice on the back "This film has been modified from its original version. It has been formatted to fit this screen." Now, I remember that I was irritated when I watched the '81 film last year, because it was the 4:3 version and I vowed not to order one of those! Urgh. Then I did it because I didn't read the entire Amazon page first. :rotten:

In fact, I've run into the same problem with The Thirteenth Floor. Nothing widescreen unless you buy Blu. But I don't have software that will let me capture frames from Blu-ray, so I'm starting to feel stuck. You know, that suffocating feeling? But Welt am Draht is 4:3 so if I have to use 4:3 for Thirteenth floor, so be it. I've already ordered the Fassbinder because I found a good price on the Criterion at Amazon last night while trying to find their widescreen Jack and Jessica movie. To no avail. For all I know the Blockbuster disc that I rented in '99 was 4:3. I can't recall details like that across so many years!

Thanks to those of you who ride along through this adventure with me. I hope to get the Find-it post for The Postman Always Rings Twice up by Saturday the 15th. But I might be out of town, and if I can't get it posted before then, maybe I can at least have it ready to pop on screen when I return from Memphis.

I still have 3 days, so surely by Friday, right?

The Future Unreels
dreiser

Post by dreiser » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:23 am

I just got Jerichow from Netflix, so I will have seen all four movies when you start the rematch.

YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:12 am

dreiser wrote:I just got Jerichow from Netflix, so I will have seen all four movies when you start the rematch.
Cool. I really hope this 1981 PART DVD from CD Universe is truly widescreen. This should be a good Rematch.

With four movies this one might take me a while to get ramped up, but at least there's only one novel to re-read this time!

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:15 am

How Can I see It?

ImageImageImage
The James M. Cain novel The Postman Always Rings Twice is available new, but you can find any number of used copies if you google 'the postman always rings twice book' after which you can add your favorite online bookstore if you want to narrow the search.
Barnes & Noble. -- Amazon. For Kindle.
Other sources. Still other sources. If you're rich.

ImageImageImage
Video Discs

The movies are all available in DVD format. The two American versions are available in Blu-ray format.

1943 DVD: Amazon. -- Amazon a different disc. -- Barnes & Noble. -- DeepDiscount.
1943 Blu-ray: not released on Blu-ray

1946 DVD: Amazon. -- DVD Planet.
1946 Blu-ray: Amazon. -- DeepDiscount. -- Barnes & Noble.

1981 DVD: Amazon Full screen 4:3. -- DeepDiscount 4:3. Almost everyone has only 4:3 Full-screen DVDs. I ordered a widescreen 1.85 DVD from CDUniverse. I'll post whether it's actually widescreen after it arrives. [EDIT: The DVD is 4:3 pan & scan. I'll be returning it. I already own one like that.]
1981 Blu-ray: DeepDiscount. -- CDUniverse. -- Amazon. [EDIT: I've pre-ordered the Blu from Amazon. I was unaware that it hasn't shipped yet, until just before I placed the order.]

2008 DVD: DeepDiscount. -- Amazon. -- CD Universe
2008 Blu-ray: not released on Blu-ray

ImageImageImage
Soundtracks

None of these can be found on CD at the time being.

1981 CD: Intrada released a CD, however, this link is to their Sold Out page.
But you can hear the tracks, if you wish...YouTube links behind the spoiler tags.

I don't know the title of this cut.

But this link will take you to a page from which you can play all 18 cuts of Michael Small's 1981 soundtrack.
1981 streaming: last.fm. Has 27 tracks (including alternates.)

ImageImageImage
Other Sources

Netflix
-- 1943 DVD. -- 1946 DVD. -- 1981 4:3 DVD. -- 2008 DVD.

iTunes -- 1946. -- 1981. (No 1943 or 2008 films at iTunes)

Amazon Instant Watch -- 1946. -- 1981 not sure of aspect ratio. (No 1943 or 2008 films on Instant Watch)

YouTube -- links to Google searches and some embedded clips behind the spoiler tags.

Entire movie, in Italian without subtitles.

Google search for youtube ossessione 1943

youtube the postman always rings twice 1946. You can rent the 1946 film from YouTube with one of the links.

youtube the postman always rings twice 1981 You can rent the 1981 film from YouTube with one of the links.

youtube jerichow 2008
ImageImageImage
Do You Like Posters?
from MoviePosterShop.com. -- from MoviePosterDB.com. -- from AllPosters.com. -- from MovieGoods.com.

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:39 am

Well, charulata and dreiser are ready for this next one. They've seen all four movies, and so have I. But I have to re-read the novel and then watch the films again while I take notes. The Find-it post is up so you have lots of sources, and can find more on your own, all of you being Internet Wizardz. Meanwhile...

Maybe one or more of you will indulge me.

We've been through 16 Rematches together, now, and I wonder if there are any that you liked more than others.

I'm not wondering if you liked the films, rather sort of rate how adept I was or wasn't at presenting a particular Rematch. You can also tell me which you liked the least, if you want to.

Complete Round Two:
Let the Right One In - Let Me In
The Big Clock - No Way Out
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Scarface
Peter Pan
The Fly
Rear Window - Disturbia

Complete Round One:
The Maltese Falcon
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Dorian Gray
Nosferatu
Planet of the Apes
3:10 to Yuma
Romeo and Juliet
The Time Machine
Lord of Flies

I'll go get to work on The Postman Always Rings Twice!

The Future Unreels
Quite-Gone Genie

Post by Quite-Gone Genie » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:44 am

I'm a fan of your extremely fair look at the Scarface films. I'm still trying to catch up with the most recent rematch.
"So, you see, he was condemned to walk in darkness a quadrillion kilometres (we've adopted the metric system, you know)..."
The Devil, The Brothers Karamazov
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:31 pm

YouTookMyName wrote:1981 DVD: Amazon Full screen 4:3. -- DeepDiscount 4:3. Almost everyone has only 4:3 Full-screen DVDs. I ordered a widescreen 1.85 DVD from CDUniverse. I'll post whether it's actually widescreen after it arrives.
The DVD they mailed to me is 4:3 pan & scan just like the one I got from Amazon.

It's very disappointing, but I'm going to have to do my next two Rematches with a widescreen film in 4:3 pan and scan simply because there's not an available widscreen DVD version of the 1981 Postman movie, or the film The Thirteenth Floor.

Oh, well. I can't defeat the DRM on Blu-rays, and can't buy a WS DVD. So I'm just going to have to go with it as is!

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:17 pm

I'm using two computers at once to autograb all four movies in two passes today. By the end of the day I'll have my basic stills, and then after I re-watch the four movies I might go back as I did with the Let Me In Rematch and pull a few more specific frames for essays. (I'm a little worried about how the stills grabbed with the older, slower Win XP machine will look, but if they're okay, then I'll have invested only half the time in autograbbing, and if they aren't any good it won't really cost any extra time.)

I've re-read the James M Cain novel, and enjoyed it a bit more on the second time through. Right now I have a hierarchy of best to worst for the four movies, but that might change as I rewatch them. I don't like it, but I've resigned myself to working with the pan-and-scan 1981 film. Apparently it was never released on DVD as widescreen.

So, I feel like I've burst out of the starting gate, and I can see the first turn in the track getting nearer. Maybe I'll be able to begin posting reviews before the American Independence Day.

The Future Unreels
charulata

Post by charulata » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:48 pm

Hey YTMN, am happy to put a 720p rip of the 1981 version on dropbox for you if you like. Let me know. Also, really excited to the rest of this rematch.

Blog |Twitter |MUBI

YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:42 pm

charulata wrote:Hey YTMN, am happy to put a 720p rip of the 1981 version on dropbox for you if you like. Let me know. Also, really excited to the rest of this rematch.
My response is in a PM in your inbox by now. :)

I'm looking forward to the Rematch as well...but I know it's going to be a lot of work. The 4-flick ones always are.

Work makes Fun.

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:57 pm

YouTookMyName wrote: Work makes Fun.
Except when Avast! antivirus claims to have found a virus in Photoshop 7, and removes it from your computer for you.

I'm having to use PS Elements 11 to make graphics, now, which requires developing a completely new workflow. So I don't know if I'll get graphics made for the essay I wrote this morning or not. By that I mean get them made today. I could reinstall PS 7.0.1, but if Avast! thinks it's still suspect, I'd have wasted the time.

Avast! just hung my laptop entirely, so I'm very pissed about it right now. And for you British English speakers, I don't mean I'm drunk. I'm mad as hell, and I'm not gonna take it anymore.

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:58 pm

When long-used software screws you over it feels just like a divorce. Exactly like that. :x

The Future Unreels
Hank

Post by Hank » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:27 pm

Wow. It's rare to hear (or should I say 'read'?) you rant... but always entertaining! Sorry that you've been so frustrated, understandably so! I've never been infected by a virus on any of my computers... I had one get fried a week before the end of the semester once in college. Lost all my paperwork that was due for a end-of-year portfolio. That wasn't fun. But I invested in an external hard drive after that.
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:35 pm

Thank you for the sympathy.

The style of drop shadow I intended to use for the Postman Rematch (inside drop shadow) is not available in Elements 11.

In fact, I've learned that problems exist between various Photoshop versions and all the major antivirus software products.

Oh, did you know that there are Fake Antiviruses? They load onto your machine and then act as malware! I just learned that today.

And it looks like the boot scan on my desktop computer will take approximately 100 hours. It's 1% done after one hour. Crap. Last time I did this it took a day. And it found one thing. Which I deleted.

Again, thank you for the sympathy.

Say, how's your show going? You ready for it? Is it already over?

The Future Unreels
Hank

Post by Hank » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:50 am

Artsfest went well... I sold a decent amount of work and got several opportunities from it, my solo show in Harrisburg called Continuous went fairly well (although I didn't get anything other than connections and experience) and now next Weds. we are heading up to the Berkshires in Mass. for a show. Hopefully it will result in some significant sales. I'm optimistic at this point.
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:14 am

That sounds good. At least you don't have to make your living from your art, like a guy who rents a space at the church does.

I hope the show in Massachusetts goes really well, and all you bring back is green!

Well, the boot scan finished 7 hours after it started, and just as I finished the graphics for an essay, so here goes...first graphics for the thread done with PS Elements 11. Also, edited on the cramped screen of my laptop...using a single mouse. Ouch. Carpal tunnel irritation! Needs my right and left mouses!

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:20 am

Ossessione (1943), The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946),

Only One Unauthorized Adaptation?

He didn't ask for permission, but he was never sued. Luchino Visconti turned the novel The Postman Always Rings Twice, into a specifically Italian film, without buying the rights. His version allows us to see where American and Italian sensibilities differ, and also where American and Italian passions overlap. Visconti loved the story, and wrote a script that follows the skeleton of Cain's novel very closely.

Visconti didn't take the steps that Murnau took in order to disguise his larceny. Sure, the character names were changed to Italian names (Giuseppe Bragana, a Spaniard, for the Greek Nick Papadakis; Giovanna Bragana for his wife, Cora Papadakis; Gino Costa for the drifter, Frank Chambers). The locations to Italian places, of course. I haven't found any sources to confirm my suspicions, but I can imagine that Visconti was aware of what legal pits Murnau fell into (remember, Murnau changed the names and places of Dracula into a "different" story, Nosferatu which ultimately didn't help him in the courts?), so decided to dispense with the subterfuge, instead putting the effort into making his film. It paid off. Ossessione is likely the best adaptation of the novel that has ever been set to celluloid. But Visconti's 1943 film was not the first adaptation of James M. Cain's international best-seller.
Le dernier tournant (1939) directed by Pierre Chenal was the first. It premiered in France when the novel was only five years old. The main characters remain Frank and Cora. YouTube has several excerpts from the film (behind spoiler tag), which is apparently unavailable in Region 1. If you don't understand French (I don't) then you'll just get the sense of the story. But if you know the story, you can tell what parts are represented by each excerpt.
Here are three excerpts...in French. There might be some overlap between them:
[youtube]L32GNNvDTf0[/youtube]

[youtube]24jo7k0RUKg[/youtube]

[youtube]A76brRL7cIw[/youtube]
I don't know the legal status of Le dernier tournant (The Final Turn, in English), whether it was licensed by Chenal, or hijacked in the way Ossessione was.
Between the 1981 American remake and the 2008 German remake came a Hungarian film called Passion in English, Szenvedély in Hungarian. This film debuted in 1998, and from the sample stills I was able to find I'd say it is much grittier than any other adaptation. The film is shot in black and white, and according to the IMDb page it has long periods of silence. György Fehér directed and Bela Tarr wrote the screenplay for the film, which was shown at Cannes. Perhaps some of you have seen this version and could compare it to others for us. There is a page with Rapidshare links, but if you click on a link the files are not found. However, you might be able to watch it on mubi.com, if you are a member.

As for Le dernier tournant and Szenvedély, I have no idea how good they are. But I can tell you this: I looked for them, I'd have loved to completely include all six. But in order to include a film in this Rematch I need to 1) be able to see the entire movie, and 2) be able to take whatever stills I want from it for the graphics. So, the mubi.com version of Szenvedély wouldn't work well for me, and I can't find all the 1939 movie. The French film looks rather talky, but the novel and the American films are also talky. The story is carried by dialogue even in the novel. Reading the Cain book is almost like reading a stage play. Cinematically both the French and Hungarian numbers look interesting.
Anyway, I mostly wanted you to know that there are six screen adaptations of the Cain novel, and they are
Le dernier tournant (1939) French
Ossessione (1943) Italian
The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946) American
The Postman Always Rings Twice (1981) American
Szenvedély (1998) Hungarian
Jerichow (2008) German
I kind of wonder if there aren't other international television adaptations that IMDb doesn't list.

It started out as an American novel, yet the story itself has stimulated the directorial juices of four non-American directors to each push out a film that tells the tale. Whether any or all are authorized adaptations I have not learned. But the story is a human story, more than merely an American story, with an apparent shipload of that thing my literature teachers always talked about: verisimilitude.

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:44 am

It's been a bad day for me.

I'm nearing PhotoBucket bandwidth limitations because of this thread. You may start seeing a substitute block sometime once the thread has a few more graphics in it. I'm limited to 10GB per month of linked transfers to another site (which would be this one). Didn't know that until I neared the limit. I guess they only tell you what you need to know. Now they want me to buy a premium account!

Ugh.

Maybe you can find your bandwidth usage at any given time...I'll try to see. I've no idea how close I am for June 2013.

EDIT: Only at 7.7GB of transfers. So I don't think I need to move so quickly. But I also found out that $29.99 will buy me a year of unlimited bandwidth...like I have on my website. Plus I would get 20GB of storage that I will never use. :D

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:15 am

Okay. I finally decided what to do. I'm running a trial of Adobe Creative Cloud right now, but I've already decided to sign up for a year.

I adjusted the style of the comparison blocks for the essays to be very close to what I was planning to try with PS 7.0 before it got removed. I was unable to reinstall it for reasons that have to do with Win 7 updates, etc.

So I grumbled, thinking of the CC version of PS as a way to extract a bunch of money from me...but then I realized that for a monthly fee I can have all those Adobe software packages that I could never afford to buy...and I can use them for business and pleasure.

Suddenly, not actually owning the software mattered less to me than having access to so many different packages, and also always having an up-to-date version. It would take 8 years for me to spend as much in rentals as the full CS plus the additional software would cost me. And I may not even live that long. :D

Old essay comp banner for the Postman Multimatch (PS Elements 11)

new essay comp banner for the Postman Multimatch (Photoshop CC)

The graphics in the body of each essay can stay with the flat style, I think.

The Future Unreels
Quite-Gone Genie

Post by Quite-Gone Genie » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:23 am

The new one looks good, and whaddya mean you won't be around in 8 years?
"So, you see, he was condemned to walk in darkness a quadrillion kilometres (we've adopted the metric system, you know)..."
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:27 am

Quite-Gone Genie wrote:The new one looks good, and whaddya mean you won't be around in 8 years?
I used the conditional "may not." :D

This, of course, implies that I certainly intend to still be here!

I'm glad you didn't think the new one looks over-wrought. And that curved lower right border was much easier to do with PS CC than with PS 7.0.

I am excite.

The Future Unreels
Quite-Gone Genie

Post by Quite-Gone Genie » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:29 am

YouTookMyName wrote: I used the conditional "may not." :D

This, of course, implies that I certainly intend to still be here!

I'm glad you didn't think the new one looks over-wrought. And that curved lower right border was much easier to do with PS CC than with PS 7.0.

I am excite.
I think the curved border gives it a little more structure too. It's not over-wrought.
dreiser

Post by dreiser » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:48 am

YouTookMyName wrote:It would take 8 years... and I may not even live that long. :D
Nah, you've got 10 years easy.