Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Discuss anything you want.
Post Reply
User avatar
Captain Terror
Posts: 1527
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:06 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Captain Terror » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:48 pm

I figure if we've got a thread with Horrorcram in the title some of our homeless comrades might be able to find us via Google. I hope. Anyway, talk about some horror movies.

Image
User avatar
Popcorn Reviews
Posts: 1362
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:22 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:19 pm

I saw Freaks recently, but I was kind of mixed on it. I can't say I disliked it as its unsettling and unpleasant absurdity kept things flowing in terms of the visual and atmospheric aspects. Also, it was intriguing to see the interactions and the relationship between the circus performers. However, I felt like all the scenes Browning edited out of the film made some parts to it, specifically in the final act, feel rushed, anti-climatic, and unexplained. While this is slightly excusable since Browning had to make these changes in order for the film to be released, it doesn't increase my enjoyment over the aspects which I felt suffered from these issues. That knowledge also doesn't increase the likelihood of me revisiting it in the future. Also, according to Wikipedia, the original 90 minute cut of the film is lost. However, I still consider it to be essential horror despite this.

6/10
User avatar
Stu
Posts: 25156
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:49 am

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Stu » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:19 am

Might as well take this opportunity of a new thread to repost my review of my favorite Horror movie ever...
Last Movie Seen:
John Wick Chapter 3: 8

Recently Reviewed
User avatar
MadMan
Posts: 10582
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:56 pm
Location: RT FOREVER
Contact:

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by MadMan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:24 am

Wahoo horror thread.

The last one I saw was Salem's Lot (1979). Good mini series, even though they cut a lot of the book out.
This Is My Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
Foolish Swami
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:31 am

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Foolish Swami » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:59 am

I've always been partial to A Return To Salem's Lot myself. Unlike the original, Return is at peace with its own campiness and stars none other than the great Michael Moriarty. Ive always considered the movie something of a hidden gem.
User avatar
Jinnistan
Posts: 2505
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Jinnistan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:44 am

Oz Perkins is the Jacques Tourneur of the modern age.

I can't recommend his I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House (Netflix) and The Blackcoat's Daughter (Prime) enough.
User avatar
MadMan
Posts: 10582
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:56 pm
Location: RT FOREVER
Contact:

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by MadMan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:57 am

Foolish Swami wrote:I've always been partial to A Return To Salem's Lot myself. Unlike the original, Return is at peace with its own campiness and stars none other than the great Michael Moriarty. Ive always considered the movie something of a hidden gem.
That one is hard to get ahold of. Moriarty is pretty rad, as Q The Winged Serpent is prime evidence of his acting skills.
This Is My Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
User avatar
Torgo
Posts: 1599
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:40 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Torgo » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:45 pm

I'm looking forward to Dark. It's a German horror/thriller TV series that will be on Netflix later this month.
Last Great Movie Seen
John Wick: Chapter 3 (Stahelski, 2019)
User avatar
Deschain
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:52 am

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Deschain » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:59 am

This forum is white. I want to go back to the green forum.
User avatar
Rock
Posts: 1645
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:48 am
Location: From beyond the moon

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Rock » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:00 am

Deschain wrote:This forum is white. I want to go back to the green forum.
Racist!
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
User avatar
Stu
Posts: 25156
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:49 am

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Stu » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:05 am

Deschain wrote:This forum is white. I want to go back to the green forum.
Des!

Image

"Welcome... to The Corrierino!" And get an avatar.
:P
Last Movie Seen:
John Wick Chapter 3: 8

Recently Reviewed
User avatar
crumbsroom
Posts: 2106
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:15 am

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by crumbsroom » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:24 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:I saw Freaks recently, but I was kind of mixed on it. I can't say I disliked it as its unsettling and unpleasant absurdity kept things flowing in terms of the visual and atmospheric aspects. Also, it was intriguing to see the interactions and the relationship between the circus performers. However, I felt like all the scenes Browning edited out of the film made some parts to it, specifically in the final act, feel rushed, anti-climatic, and unexplained. While this is slightly excusable since Browning had to make these changes in order for the film to be released, it doesn't increase my enjoyment over the aspects which I felt suffered from these issues. That knowledge also doesn't increase the likelihood of me revisiting it in the future. Also, according to Wikipedia, the original 90 minute cut of the film is lost. However, I still consider it to be essential horror despite this.

6/10
This is just a test, but I might as well also use this post to tell Popcorn he's wrong.
User avatar
Stu
Posts: 25156
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:49 am

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Stu » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:31 am

Crumbs!
Last Movie Seen:
John Wick Chapter 3: 8

Recently Reviewed
User avatar
crumbsroom
Posts: 2106
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:15 am

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by crumbsroom » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:40 am

Stu wrote:Crumbs!
Considering I could no longer access your link, do you have any idea how hard this place is to find when you can never remember what the hell it is called?
User avatar
Popcorn Reviews
Posts: 1362
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:22 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:42 am

crumbsroom wrote:
This is just a test, but I might as well also use this post to tell Popcorn he's wrong.
Great to have you here, man.
User avatar
Jinnistan
Posts: 2505
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Jinnistan » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:19 am

crumbsroom wrote:do you have any idea how hard this place is to find when you can never remember what the hell it is called?
A useful mnemonic is to think of the ice cream from Edgar Wright's films and then imagine them being hard to find.
User avatar
Rock
Posts: 1645
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:48 am
Location: From beyond the moon

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Rock » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:22 am

Barnes & Noble is having a sale on Arrow Video titles: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/b/arrow- ... e/_/N-2ofl
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
User avatar
MadMan
Posts: 10582
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:56 pm
Location: RT FOREVER
Contact:

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by MadMan » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:14 am

Hi everybody.
This Is My Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
User avatar
crumbsroom
Posts: 2106
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:15 am

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by crumbsroom » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:40 pm

Image

Hypnotically unpleasant, though not nearly as unbearably nihilistic as its close cinematic cousin Martyrs, this is pretty impeccably made extreme horror surrealism and (if repeat viewing bear it out) possibly a top 10 favourite horror film of this millennium for me. A French pop singer who has made his erotic mark performing at an old age home, decides to break out of this small potatoes world and see if he can make it big. Unfortunately, his van breaks down in a foggy wood and he ends up being left at the whims of a lonely and widowed hotel owner, and a man who wanders the forests endlessly looking for his long lost dog. Something is ominous and awful about the surrounding townfolks, who the hotel owner has warned him about and who always seems to be slaughtering farm animals. Misery and tension mount in an unbearable fashion as things quickly spiral out of control. Really well acted, beautifully shot regardless of its lurid subject matter and completely original. Critics seemed to hate it, but this is hardly a surprise with this kind of extreme fare.

I've got no issue at all giving this one a 10/10. The best horror film I've watched all year.
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 1945
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:53 pm

I left for literally ONE DAY and someone left the door open and all the threads escaped.
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 1945
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:54 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:I saw Freaks recently
.
.
.
However, I felt like all the scenes Browning edited out of the film made some parts to it, specifically in the final act, feel rushed, anti-climatic, and unexplained.
What about the ending felt unexplained to you? To me the movie definitely moves at a fast clip, but it never felt rushed.
User avatar
Popcorn Reviews
Posts: 1362
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:22 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:01 am

Takoma1 wrote:
What about the ending felt unexplained to you? To me the movie definitely moves at a fast clip, but it never felt rushed.
Hercules' fate was unexplained.
User avatar
crumbsroom
Posts: 2106
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:15 am

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by crumbsroom » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:18 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Hercules' fate was unexplained.
After the half dozen times I've watched the film, I've never once been left feeling wanting by the lack of conclusion regarding the fate of this character. I'm sure you must have bigger complaints than this.
User avatar
Popcorn Reviews
Posts: 1362
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:22 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:30 am

crumbsroom wrote:
After the half dozen times I've watched the film, I've never once been left feeling wanting by the lack of conclusion regarding the fate of this character. I'm sure you must have bigger complaints than this.
Takoma asked me specifically about what I felt was unexplained about this film. That's why I only elaborated on that aspect. If you didn't mind it, then fine. However, I would've liked to hear what happened to him since he wasn't referenced in the climax of the film. Browning didn't have to show his current state, but even a simple line of dialogue such as "And trust me when I tell you that you don't want to know what came of Hercules" would've been enough for me.

Now that I think of it, I feel like a 7/10 would be a more appropriate score for my opinion on this film. Maybe 6/10 is a bit too low. As for my other complaint, however, I felt like the revenge scene near the end was pretty anti-climatic. It had an eerie build up. However, it ended suddenly with Cleopatra simply running away. I get that Browning probably had to remove scenes from the climax from the film. However, this knowledge doesn't increase my enjoyment over these aspects.
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 1945
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:33 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Hercules' fate was unexplained.
Well, I mean . . .
in my mind he's dead. And with the craziness of the storm and the complicity of the performers, "Oops he was kicked by a horse" probably wouldn't be questioned. I did read that there was a deleted scene showing him singing in a high voice to imply that he'd been castrated. But as that is kind of dumb, I prefer to just believe that the performers took their revenge on him and I don't need to know the details.
User avatar
Popcorn Reviews
Posts: 1362
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:22 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:38 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Well, I mean . . .
in my mind he's dead. And with the craziness of the storm and the complicity of the performers, "Oops he was kicked by a horse" probably wouldn't be questioned. I did read that there was a deleted scene showing him singing in a high voice to imply that he'd been castrated. But as that is kind of dumb, I prefer to just believe that the performers took their revenge on him and I don't need to know the details.
It's possible that he's dead. But since Cleopatra's fate was revealed, I would've liked them to at least state what happened to him. A simple line such as "And trust me when I tell you that you don't want to know what came of Hercules" would've satisfied me.
User avatar
Captain Terror
Posts: 1527
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:06 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:40 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Hypnotically unpleasant, though not nearly as unbearably nihilistic as its close cinematic cousin Martyrs, this is pretty impeccably made extreme horror surrealism and (if repeat viewing bear it out) possibly a top 10 favourite horror film of this millennium for me. A French pop singer who has made his erotic mark performing at an old age home, decides to break out of this small potatoes world and see if he can make it big. Unfortunately, his van breaks down in a foggy wood and he ends up being left at the whims of a lonely and widowed hotel owner, and a man who wanders the forests endlessly looking for his long lost dog. Something is ominous and awful about the surrounding townfolks, who the hotel owner has warned him about and who always seems to be slaughtering farm animals. Misery and tension mount in an unbearable fashion as things quickly spiral out of control. Really well acted, beautifully shot regardless of its lurid subject matter and completely original. Critics seemed to hate it, but this is hardly a surprise with this kind of extreme fare.

I've got no issue at all giving this one a 10/10. The best horror film I've watched all year.
Hmm, high praise! Added it to my queue. Looks like I can stream a few of the director's subsequent films, so I'll give those a shot also. Since you mentioned Martyrs, does that mean that I'm in for a similar ordeal here? I actually liked Martyrs, I just have to be in the mood for such goings-on.
User avatar
crumbsroom
Posts: 2106
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:15 am

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by crumbsroom » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:46 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Hmm, high praise! Added it to my queue. Looks like I can stream a few of the director's subsequent films, so I'll give those a shot also. Since you mentioned Martyrs, does that mean that I'm in for a similar ordeal here? I actually liked Martyrs, I just have to be in the mood for such goings-on.
It isn't as rough as Martyrs (few films are) but it's up there. It is a fairly distressing film in a number of ways though, so you may want to 'be in the mood'. If Martyrs rates as a 9 on terms of unpleasantness, you can at least allot an 8 for Calvaire. It also has more of a sense of humor about itself than Martyrs, but for some this may make it even more bothersome, since its humor can be described as none more black and at times elicits very hesitant and very mild laughs that you might feel guilty about in retrospect.
User avatar
Captain Terror
Posts: 1527
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:06 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:34 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote: It's possible that he's dead. But since Cleopatra's fate was revealed, I would've liked them to at least state what happened to him. A simple line such as "And trust me when I tell you that you don't want to know what came of Hercules" would've satisfied me.
As far as I'm concerned, judging Freaks on its technical merits is unnecessary. I mean, it's a movie, so you can criticize it, I just think it's beside the point. When major roles are being performed by the likes of "Hans", who, let's be honest, isn't exactly Henry Fonda as an actor, and when the plot is asking you to believe that a limbless man with a dagger in his mouth poses any threat to a circus strongman, I'm not going to judge it on the same criteria as Dracula. This is one of those movies that is worthwhile simply because it exists, one that elicits a "holy s--t, this is a movie that someone made" reaction. I remember vividly how uncomfortable it made me the first time I saw it and that was 20 years ago. That's a notable accomplishment regardless of its shortcomings as a film, especially when one considers the hundreds of movies I've seen that I forgot within a week. You gave it a 7/10 which suggests that you liked it, so I'm not disagreeing with you so much as suggesting you think of it in different terms.

(And can I just say how happy I am to be discussing Freaks with you people on a Saturday night?)

Image
User avatar
crumbsroom
Posts: 2106
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:15 am

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by crumbsroom » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:46 am

Captain Terror wrote:As far as I'm concerned, judging Freaks on its technical merits is unnecessary. I mean, it's a movie, so you can criticize it, I just think it's beside the point. When major roles are being performed by the likes of "Hans", who, let's be honest, isn't exactly Henry Fonda as an actor, and when the plot is asking you to believe that a limbless man with a dagger in his mouth poses any threat to a circus strongman, I'm not going to judge it on the same criteria as Dracula. This is one of those movies that is worthwhile simply because it exists, one that elicits a "holy s--t, this is a movie that someone made" reaction. I remember vividly how uncomfortable it made me the first time I saw it and that was 20 years ago. That's a notable accomplishment regardless of its shortcomings as a film, especially when one considers the hundreds of movies I've seen that I forgot within a week. You gave it a 7/10 which suggests that you liked it, so I'm not disagreeing with you so much as suggesting you think of it in different terms.
Yes.
User avatar
Captain Terror
Posts: 1527
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:06 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:57 am

crumbsroom wrote:If Martyrs rates as a 9 on terms of unpleasantness, you can at least allot an 8 for Calvaire.
hoo boy.
*deep breath*
I can do this!
User avatar
Popcorn Reviews
Posts: 1362
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:22 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:09 am

Captain Terror wrote:As far as I'm concerned, judging Freaks on its technical merits is unnecessary. I mean, it's a movie, so you can criticize it, I just think it's beside the point. When major roles are being performed by the likes of "Hans", who, let's be honest, isn't exactly Henry Fonda as an actor, and when the plot is asking you to believe that a limbless man with a dagger in his mouth poses any threat to a circus strongman, I'm not going to judge it on the same criteria as Dracula. This is one of those movies that is worthwhile simply because it exists, one that elicits a "holy s--t, this is a movie that someone made" reaction. I remember vividly how uncomfortable it made me the first time I saw it and that was 20 years ago. That's a notable accomplishment regardless of its shortcomings as a film, especially when one considers the hundreds of movies I've seen that I forgot within a week. You gave it a 7/10 which suggests that you liked it, so I'm not disagreeing with you so much as suggesting you think of it in different terms.
The fact that this movie is absurd in many ways doesn't mean it's unnecessary to criticize its technical merits. The technical merits of any movie can be criticized. I acknowledged that its strengths generally lie in what you're talking about. Behind all of that, however, lies a story made clear as day. This isn't something like Eraserhead, were nothing appears to make any bit of sense at first glance. If one has any issues with what's presented in that story, they should feel free to criticize it if those issues lessen the movie's appeal to them. I'll concede that 6/10 is a bit too low of a rating. I'm satisfied with 7/10 though as I'd say it's an accurate description of my enjoyment of the film. I still like it quite a bit.
User avatar
crumbsroom
Posts: 2106
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:15 am

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by crumbsroom » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:33 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote: The fact that this movie is absurd in many ways doesn't mean it's unnecessary to criticize its technical merits. The technical merits of any movie can be criticized. I acknowledged that its strengths generally lie in what you're talking about. Behind all of that, however, lies a story made clear as day. This isn't something like Eraserhead, were nothing appears to make any bit of sense at first glance. If one has any issues with what's presented in that story, they should feel free to criticize it if those issues lessen the movie's appeal to them. I'll concede that 6/10 is a bit too low of a rating. I'm satisfied with 7/10 though as I'd say it's an accurate description of my enjoyment of the film. I still like it quite a bit.
I think you're getting a little too hung up on the notion of what your score out of 10 means. That's clearly up to you, and if all this movie amounts to is a 6 or a 7 for you, this is hardly relevant to myself or anyone else. I think all Captain Terror is trying to say is that it shouldn't be necessary that this particular narrative shortcoming you mention should diminish your enjoyment of the film, just like the poor acting of little Hans shouldn't get in the way either. Freaks is a unique classic in that it would likely be considered 'flawed' by most of its most ardent admirers, and yet, none of these particular flaws would be really worth holding against it. For serious fans of the film, it can still be viewed as just about perfect, no matter how often it may not live up to any kind of standards of perfection.

That being said, I'll admit that I didn't particularly like it on my first viewing when I was probably about 20 or 21. I had hyped it up in my mind for so many years of not being able to see it (it was virtually impossible to find in the 80's and early 90's) that it seriously underwhelmed when I got my mitts on it. It's only twenty years later that I now can realize how wrong I was.
User avatar
Popcorn Reviews
Posts: 1362
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:22 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:49 am

crumbsroom wrote:
I think you're getting a little too hung up on the notion of what your score out of 10 means. That's clearly up to you, and if all this movie amounts to is a 6 or a 7 for you, this is hardly relevant to myself or anyone else. I think all Captain Terror is trying to say is that it shouldn't be necessary that this particular narrative shortcoming you mention should diminish your enjoyment of the film, just like the poor acting of little Hans shouldn't get in the way either. Freaks is a unique classic in that it would likely be considered 'flawed' by most of its most ardent admirers, and yet, none of these particular flaws would be really worth holding against it. For serious fans of the film, it can still be viewed as just about perfect, no matter how often it may not live up to any kind of standards of perfection.

That being said, I'll admit that I didn't particularly like it on my first viewing when I was probably about 20 or 21. I had hyped it up in my mind for so many years of not being able to see it (it was virtually impossible to find in the 80's and early 90's) that it seriously underwhelmed when I got my mitts on it. It's only twenty years later that I now can realize how wrong I was.
I just want to make sure I'm correctly interpreting your argument before I respond to it.

Are you saying that since this movie contains such an absurd atmosphere, it makes little sense criticizing it for flaws which may seem obvious at first glance. More specifically, somebody could say something like "I found it cheesy how Hans tried to start a romance with someone much taller than him", but since the movie contains an absurd atmosphere, that argument isn't worth holding against the film?
User avatar
crumbsroom
Posts: 2106
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:15 am

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by crumbsroom » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:01 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote: I just want to make sure I'm correctly interpreting your argument before I respond to it.

Are you saying that since this movie contains such an absurd atmosphere, it makes little sense criticizing it for flaws which may seem obvious at first glance. More specifically, somebody could say something like "I found it cheesy how Hans tried to start a romance with someone much taller than him", but since the movie contains an absurd atmosphere, that argument isn't worth holding against the film?
As Captain Terror already stated, nothing ever is above criticism, so I'm definitely not saying you shouldn't criticize its flaws. What I'm saying (and I think CT as well) is that you should try not to let those criticisms obscure your potential appreciation of the movie, since they these particular criticisms are ultimately pretty irrelevant once you zero in on what is great about the film.

So go ahead an stick with your impression of the film that led you to give it a 6/10. Stick with your problems with it. But if you ever down the road watch it again, consider trying to approach the film without sweating some of the narrative inconsistencies you have been bothered by. In the grand scheme of things, with a film as unique as this one is, they really are small potatoes. It's a frequently badly acted, trashy, inconsistent and sometimes clunky total masterpiece.
User avatar
Popcorn Reviews
Posts: 1362
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:22 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:05 am

crumbsroom wrote:
As Captain Terror already stated, nothing ever is above criticism, so I'm definitely not saying you shouldn't criticize its flaws. What I'm saying (and I think CT as well) is that you should try not to let those criticisms obscure your potential appreciation of the movie, since they these particular criticisms are ultimately pretty irrelevant once you zero in on what is great about the film.

So go ahead an stick with your impression of the film that led you to give it a 6/10. Stick with your problems with it. But if you ever down the road watch it again, consider trying to approach the film without sweating some of the narrative inconsistencies you have been bothered by. In the grand scheme of things, with a film as unique as this one is, they really are small potatoes. It's a frequently badly acted, trashy, inconsistent and sometimes clunky total masterpiece.
Okay, I see what you mean. I'll keep your advice in mind if I decide to watch it again.
User avatar
Jinnistan
Posts: 2505
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Jinnistan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:31 am

Captain Terror wrote:Added it to my queue. Looks like I can stream a few of the director's subsequent films, so I'll give those a shot also.
Where you at? I checked IMDb to see if it was on Prime.
User avatar
Captain Terror
Posts: 1527
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:06 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:34 am

Jinnistan wrote: Where you at? I checked IMDb to see if it was on Prime.
Shudder
For Calvaire I'll have to rent the DVD from Netflix
User avatar
MadMan
Posts: 10582
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:56 pm
Location: RT FOREVER
Contact:

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by MadMan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:06 am

Takoma1 wrote:I left for literally ONE DAY and someone left the door open and all the threads escaped.
Yo.

Also need to see Freaks at some point.
This Is My Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
User avatar
Captain Terror
Posts: 1527
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:06 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:27 pm

One more comment about Freaks- is everyone aware that this guy

Image

is the actor that played Master in Beyond Thunderdome?

Image

Wasn't sure if that was common knowledge, so I thought I'd pass it on.
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 1945
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:05 pm

MadMan wrote: Yo.

Also need to see Freaks at some point.
Freaks is really awesome. It's the kind of movie that I feel completely comfortable describing as unique. It's funny (intentionally so), dark, thrilling, and just contains scene after scene of memorable moments.
User avatar
Oxnard Montalvo
Posts: 1393
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:27 am

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:13 pm

quick question: what is everyone's thoughts on The VVitch?
User avatar
Popcorn Reviews
Posts: 1362
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:22 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:14 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:quick question: what is everyone's thoughts on The VVitch?
I've only seen it once, but I remember only loving a few scenes from the film such as its ending and a few middle scenes. I'm probably due for a re-watch though.
User avatar
Captain Terror
Posts: 1527
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:06 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:18 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:quick question: what is everyone's thoughts on The VVitch?
Adored every second of it. One of my favourite films of the decade.
User avatar
Takoma1
Posts: 1945
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:32 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:quick question: what is everyone's thoughts on The VVitch?
I'm going to assume you're asking because you haven't seen it and keep my response kind of vague accordingly.

I liked it, but I also thought that its most powerful moment (emotionally and visually) came in the very, very beginning and what came after didn't quite match up to it.

Thematically I thought it was a pretty straightforward critique of patriarchy (though by extension a critique of any system that allots power to one group just because). The acting is good.

I had expected it to be a movie experience that would draw me in, but instead I found it to be more like a series of scenes that I thought were interesting and yet I wasn't totally sold on it as a whole. It was missing something, and I'm sorry to say that I can't put my finger on just what it was that didn't make it feel as coherent to me. It's definitely very technically accomplished and a movie I'd totally recommend. It's the kind of movie where if someone says it's their favorite horror of that year I can understand that even if I don't feel the same way.
User avatar
Jinnistan
Posts: 2505
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Jinnistan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:45 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:quick question: what is everyone's thoughts on The VVitch?
I think that as long as you steer clear of the attempts to politicize the film's themes, it's a very evocative, unsettling film.
Takoma1 wrote:Thematically I thought it was a pretty straightforward critique of patriarchy (though by extension a critique of any system that allots power to one group just because).
And as an example of that, I didn't find this critique to be so straightforwardly convincing because
you have The Devil being portrayed as a surrogate patriarch himself, even something of a velvet-gloved pimp. His scene at the end is not so different from Harvey Keitel in Taxi Driver luring Jodie Foster into his confidence.
User avatar
Rock
Posts: 1645
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:48 am
Location: From beyond the moon

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Rock » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:12 pm

Jinnistan wrote:I think that as long as you steer clear of the attempts to politicize the film's themes, it's a very evocative, unsettling film.
This is my opinion as well. I think you can read it as an attack on specific targets (religion, the patriarchy, etc), but that's because all the support systems that the characters use (religion, community, family) prove entirely useless in the face of the horror. I find it too broad in that respect for it to have value as specific commentary.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
User avatar
Oxnard Montalvo
Posts: 1393
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:27 am

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:23 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
I'm going to assume you're asking because you haven't seen it
aye.

I'll have to keep in mind the lack of any specific, overt politicization since I know I am one of those eager to find the political in everything. even Esther Williams.
User avatar
Deschain
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:52 am

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Deschain » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:31 pm

I liked The Witch.. It was weird in the sense that it shifted from quiet and subtle tension building to crazy absurd almost funny crazy moments and the shifts in tone like that may put some off.
Foolish Swami
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:31 am

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Foolish Swami » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:19 pm

So 'A Cure for Wellness' is as bad as advertised. Don't be fooled by the slick visuals. Crimson Peak is a gothic horror masterpiece compared to this movie.

I did get a kick out all of the obvious recycled ideas from the failed Bioshock adaptation Verbinki was working on before this.
Post Reply