Wooley's Half-Ass Horrorthon

Discuss anything you want.
Death Proof

Re: Wooley's Half-Ass Horrorthon

Post by Death Proof » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:54 pm

Wooley wrote:We are the weirdos, mister.

ay what you want, but The Craft is a pretty damn good witch movie.
This probably the 7th or 8th time I've seen it since it came out, as I saw it in the theater, had it on VHS, my wife had it on DVD, and now I've watched it again on an airplane. So I know the beats pretty well and I get to sit back and enjoy the little things in this movie, and this movie takes care to have a lot of them.
If there's anyone out there who hasn't seen it, this is the story of three outcast high-school girls, each with deep-seeded conflict with the world around them, who bond over this sort of sham practice of witchcraft they have going on... until the new girl at school joins them and turns out to be an actual witch. The power that Sara, Robin Tunney as the actual witch with a dark past of her own, brings to the group leads to legitimate magic and unexpected consequences as the leader of their little clique takes the power to a dark place.
A lot of things work really well in this movie in general. It has a solid, coherent narrative that progresses naturally through a real arc. It has

Good movie. Fairuza Balk was perfectly cast as Tunney's nemesis. But man... Rachel True was gorgeous.
If I am the Phantom, it is because man's hatred has made me so. If I shall be saved, it will be because your love redeems me.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:55 pm

Jinnistan wrote:Carolyn Jones was indeed a beautiful woman.

But Yvonne DeCarlo had her moments, folks.

Sweet christ. She can suck my blood anytime.
If I am the Phantom, it is because man's hatred has made me so. If I shall be saved, it will be because your love redeems me.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:42 pm

Oh man we used to watch The Craft at sleepovers when we were like 8.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:42 pm

Death Proof wrote:

Good movie. Fairuza Balk was perfectly cast as Tunney's nemesis. But man... Rachel True was gorgeous.
Yup.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:13 am

I got 96 tears in 96 eyes...
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:45 am

It's got to run its course...
There are just so many good things I could say about this movie. So many I hardly know where to begin.
I saw this movie on its release at the Lakeside Theater on Veterans Highway in 1988; I would have been 15 just about to turn 16. I was with my girlfriend, a couple other friends, and a German exchange student. It was a strange experience. Like so many other horror movies of the time, it started looking like one thing, the typical 80s dumb horror movie, and then it just kept right on its way into being what it kind of raggedly, gloriously was. Everyone dug it. But why?
Well, that's the rub. What is it about this little movie that gets people? Takoma knows. I know. Some of the rest of you too. Even though it has flaws and it does, we give 'em a pass because what it does right is almost unique in horror movies. It has a conscience. In fact the movie is about conscience. And it plays it out in a way that is totally satisfactory.
We begin in earnest with a father and son, father a little older, boy about ten years old. His mother died in childbirth (revealed later in the film). The boy is all the man has and he loves him with all of his being.
A group of young people are on a completely innocent trip just to have fun, a weekend drinking and dirt-biking in the hills and woods. Not all of them are nice people, some are deeply flawed, but none of them are bad people. They're just young and out to have a good time.
Their paths collide, literally, as one of the young people, riding his dirt-bike, runs down the boy while the father is away. He couldn't have seen him, couldn't have heard him, the boy was told to stay inside, but... the boy is dying. Everyone reacts like humans react. Some want to help, some want to run. Each character has a genuine internal motivation for what they do over the next 20 minutes of movie. Including Ed Harley, father of the fallen boy. He has lost everything now and if he can't bring his boy back, maybe he can make them pay that took Billy from him. A deal is struck, vengeance is set in motion, and something horrible begins.
From here the movie is a sort of dance between the conscience and the inevitable destruction of vengeance. It is interesting that the movie has the two characters that must be on opposite sides of this thing in the most moral gray. One has committed a fatal accident that, while on probation, will send him to prison, so he flees. The other has just lost the only thing in this world that mattered to him so he seeks bloody vengeance. In a less intelligent movie, this would lead to a showdown, but here both come to understand, really understand what is right and what they must do, that they must sacrifice themselves for the good of others. Other characters are faced with complex questions of whether to help the innocents or protect their families. The film is full of choices. And in the middle of all these choices and all this moral striving, people realizing they've made mistakes and trying to make them right, there is the perfect moral neutral, one who can go either way and won't encourage anyone to take a negative path, but seems to enjoy herself jus a little too much when someone does.
The film is also full of a largish and completely remorseless Demon Of Vengeance, raised to do one thing, do it completely, and then return to its grave. And nothing can stop it. It's got to run its course.
What do you do when the demon is stronger than you are, faster than you are, and smarter than you are? You die. That's all there is for these young people who just came up to have a good time and had an accident. No malice intended but now malice is absolutely being carved into and out of their bodies. One of the pleasures of this movie is how the demon seems so perfectly suited to its work; when it needs brute force it has it, when it needs to be just that little bit smarter than you, it is. And what it's not is merciful.

So, what makes this film such a gem is the early dancing out of potential tropes and then how the tropes give way to people acting in very genuine ways for very believable motivations and ultimately all trying to do the right thing, but just late enough that it doesn't matter anymore because events have been set in motion for all the wrong reasons that simply cannot be stopped.
A much better movie than it should have been, I have nits to pick with it, and I shall if asked, but otherwise, I just let it be.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:56 am

Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:58 am

Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:05 pm

I was definitely a Munsters kid, because obviously:

I mean, there were only 3 channels so I watched the Addams' too, they were just never my thing. A few years ago I watched a few episodes, thinking I'd appreciate them more as an adult but it didn't really click, for all the reasons you mentioned. So much of the humor was just based on that one "They like the opposite thing!" idea. Like Gomez will walk past a perfectly-hung picture on the wall and adjust it so that the frame is now crooked and say, "That's better!" *laugh track*
I guess that's the "kooky" part of the equation, I just find it wears thin after a few episodes. I do appreciate that the show had sort of an odd rhythm or vibe to it, but that isn't enough for me to seek it out very often.

But yeah, Grandpa Munster is the man.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:58 pm

Captain Terror wrote:I was definitely a Munsters kid, because obviously:

I mean, there were only 3 channels so I watched the Addams' too, they were just never my thing. A few years ago I watched a few episodes, thinking I'd appreciate them more as an adult but it didn't really click, for all the reasons you mentioned. So much of the humor was just based on that one "They like the opposite thing!" idea. Like Gomez will walk past a perfectly-hung picture on the wall and adjust it so that the frame is now crooked and say, "That's better!" *laugh track*
I guess that's the "kooky" part of the equation, I just find it wears thin after a few episodes. I do appreciate that the show had sort of an odd rhythm or vibe to it, but that isn't enough for me to seek it out very often.

Exactly.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:32 am

An unrelated device to the one with which I post here had on its Youtube app a recommendation for a Munsters documentary. There is nothing that I've watched on that particular Youtube app that would even remotely suggest an interest in a Munsters documentary.

The fear of my devices talking to each other behind my back has been the first legitimate scare of my Halloween season.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:47 am

Jinnistan wrote:An unrelated device to the one with which I post here had on its Youtube app a recommendation for a Munsters documentary. There is nothing that I've watched on that particular Youtube app that would even remotely suggest an interest in a Munsters documentary.

The fear of my devices talking to each other behind my back has been the first legitimate scare of my Halloween season.
Heh. Yeah, I read recently though where Apple wasn't actually even hiding the fact that their microphones are triggered by certain words and so forth. Nobody in the tech industry denies that all our devices are talking to each other and that we are being listened to for both commercial and national safety purposes.
It used to be scary to me, now it's just, like, the wallpaper of our lives.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:20 am

Well. That was... something.
I have actually been really interested in seeing this movie for at least a decade and now I finally have. And I'm not sorry. Not one bit.
This movie is pretty nuts and it takes some leaps but I didn't really mind so much. There's a difference between a movie that fails to have a cogent and cohesive narrative and one that's narrative is silly and nonsensical. I can forgive the latter in a genre film, most of the time. Generally as long as you obey your own rules. And this movie does.
So, this is a story of a small group of young people heading somewhere for what would seem to be some form of vacation or road-trip or something and one car gets a flat so ultimately everybody ends up at this small, off the beaten path store and roadside museum. Before you roll your eyes too hard, it is explained in the film that the place was not off the beaten path until the highway was built taking tourists past it without ever knowing it's there and the character who runs it is old enough for that to be believable.
Anyway, things seem fine at first, except for the guy who's already dead, and the owner appears to be a very nice man. And he may be. The movie is pretty cagey about what is actually going on, which is, I think to its benefit, even though the punchline is fairly predictable. But the young people seem to kinda feel sorry for him, lonely widower out here with no one to talk to, so they hang around his strange museum of mannequins his late brother made, maybe a little too long. Because, one by one, they encounter... someone else. And he ain't nuttin' nice.
How would I describe this movie...? Well, imagine if Motel Hell and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre had a baby together and it starred Chuck Connors. That's pretty much the vibe I got the whole time. It's nuts in a kooky way but also in a grim and deadly way. Like those movies it's not so much scary as it is demented and the tone, to me, lands somewhere right between those two. Is it as good as either? Eh, it's probably as good as Motel Hell, honestly, or at least not far off. I think if you're gonna be totally by the rules, you probably have to take some points off for one aspect of the film that is just a strange narrative choice that happens to also conveniently make the story work, but also is probably not sufficiently explained. Like if you really wanted to sit there with a pen and a notepad, like Roger Ebert notoriously did in his totally missing the point panning of The Village, you might not be able to get past this one aspect of the movie, but if you can just relax and let it slide then the movie otherwise makes sense and moves along nicely, and I think it has legitimate rewards for horror fans.

Important side-note: The version that is on Amazon Prime streaming is the version that was "remastered" for Blu-ray. But, as we have learned from several classic rock albums that were re-released a decade or so ago, there is a difference between "remastering" and "remixing". Under producer Charles Band's oversight of the remastering project, the movie was also re-edited and five full minutes of the movie were removed, supposedly to "tighten it up" (although Band initially tried to claim that some parts of the original print just weren't in good shape so they were excised to keep the quality of the new print up). The director of the film was pretty unhappy about it saying he wasn't consulted at all about it and he didn't feel like the movie needed any tightening up. I haven't seen the new version, but I side with the director on this one, I felt that it's 90-minute run-time was legit and moved along briskly and to cut anything would be to cut actual content and not filler.
So I recommend watching it another way. The non-remastered version appears on Prime but you have to pay for it and it will not actually play if you try to rent it. I watched it on SHUDDER.
That is all.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:14 pm

Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:27 pm

Time, I think, to revisit the greatness of Thurl Ravenscroft, before it gets too late in the month. This deserves to be discovered and enjoyed as a Halloween favorite:
Ravenscroft, you may remember, sings "You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch" in the classic Dr. Seuss/Chuck Jones/Boris Karloff cartoon and is also the lead voice in "Grim Grinning Ghosts" which we enjoyed earlier.
I love Bing Crosby, but this is clearly the definitive version of the "Headless Horseman Song".
Now, gather 'round while I elucidate
On what happens outside when it gets late.
'Long about midnight the ghosts and banshees
Get together for their nightly jamborees.
There's ghosts with horns and saucer eyes
And some with fangs about this size;
Some short and fat, some tall and thin
And some don't even bother to wear their skin.
I'm tellin' you brother, it's a frightful sight
To see what goes on in the night.
When the spooks have a midnight jamboree
They break it up with fiendish glee.
Ghosts are bad, but the one that's cursed
Is the Headless Horseman, he's the worst.
When he goes a-joggin' 'cross the land
Holdin' his noggin in his hand
Demons take one look and groan
And hit the road for parts unknown.
And there's no wrath like a spook that's spurned
They don't like him, and he's really burned.
He swears to the longest day he's dead
He'll show them that he can get a head.
So close all the windows, lock the doors
Unless you're careful, he'll get yours.
Don't think he'll hesitate a bit
'Cause he'll clip your top if it'll fit.
And he likes 'em little, likes 'em big
Part in the middle, or a wig;
Black or white or even red
The Headless Horseman needs a head.
With a hip-hip and a clippity-clop
He's out lookin' for a top to chop.
So don't stop to figure out a plan
You can't reason with a headless man
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:44 pm

Last Great Movie Seen
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Hooper, 1974)
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:40 pm

Torgo wrote:Image
Ha! I like it.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:48 pm

Wooley wrote: Heh. Yeah, I read recently though where Apple wasn't actually even hiding the fact that their microphones are triggered by certain words and so forth. Nobody in the tech industry denies that all our devices are talking to each other and that we are being listened to for both commercial and national safety purposes.
It used to be scary to me, now it's just, like, the wallpaper of our lives.
Well, except that I don't use Apple products, have no voice activated devices and a phone with no microphone (I use a plug-in headset), and I have all of the beacon, synching and sharing options disabled on everything.....

I suspect that my streaming device has some way of tagging everything going across the router, which would be an ability that is not mentioned in its TOS. Unfortunately, a lot of these things get caught after the fact. Beacons were also secret for awhile until tech researchers discovered what they were doing. I guess most people don't care, but I don't fuck around with my privacy.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:25 pm

Googling Lily Munster cheesecake photos is bound to lead down some shady roads. I learned that the hard way.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:00 pm

Captain Terror wrote:Googling Lily Munster cheesecake photos is bound to lead down some shady roads. I learned that the hard way.
I'm pretty sure that picture is fake.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:18 am

Wooley wrote:It's got to run its course...

Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:21 am

Captain Terror wrote:I was definitely a Munsters kid, because obviously:

Another creation of one of my heroes, George Barris.

Factoid: the drag racer - Drag-U-La - was built from a real coffin. At the time, in California, it was illegal for non-funeral home people to purchase coffins. Barris bribed a funeral home worker to leave a coffin in back of their funeral home which they built into a functional car.

Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:24 am

Wooley wrote: Ha! I like it.

Hidden in his subterranean lair, Wooley gains immortality through a particular mixture of Methodist blood, tequila, and gumbo.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:25 am

Jinnistan wrote: I'm pretty sure that picture is fake.

You shut your whore mouth.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:44 am

Death Proof wrote:

You shut your whore mouth.
I wish that actresses of her generation had aged so gracefully, but that is not the same body as the middle-age DeCarlo.

Plus, she's dead, you monsterous pervert.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:11 am

I had one of these as a kid, because I was freaking awesome, but of course it got lost over time. A few years ago I found an affordable one on Ebay and it is now one of my most prized possessions. (My guitarist friend even wrote an awesome/terrible rock song in its honor, complete with self-produced music video.) I humbly submit it for Horrorthon inclusion.

And here's one that I used to lust after at the toy store but my parents wouldn't buy it for me.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:00 pm

Captain Terror wrote:Googling Lily Munster cheesecake photos is bound to lead down some shady roads. I learned that the hard way.
Heh. The hard way. Snicker.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:01 pm

Death Proof wrote:

Hidden in his subterranean lair, Wooley gains immortality through a particular mixture of Methodist blood, tequila, and gumbo.
Jesus. Are you gonna dox me?
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:15 pm

Wooley wrote: Jesus. Are you gonna dox me?

As long as I get an even share of the strippers we got no problem.

Edit: This is even funnier when I imagine that line coming from Betty White.
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:38 am

Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:58 am

Not as scary as Don Cornelius' Ghost Train.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:43 am

Tourist Trap is awesome and goofy.
This Is My Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:25 pm

MadMan wrote:Tourist Trap is awesome and goofy.
It really kinda wuz.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:10 am

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure...
Still, after like, 40(?), 50(?) watches over the last 44 years, my favorite movie of all time? How is that possible?
I mean, I don't know if this was viewing number 44 or viewing number 52, but I still loved it like Christians love religion.
I savoured, what, a hundred different moments in 100 minutes?
It's been a long time since I watched it with someone who'd never seen it. But it was an interesting crowd in general. Me, who loves the movie alone in a dark room where I can catch every line and every reference. Trout, who knows every line of the crowd-dialogue. Amy, who's seen it at least a dozen times because she loves cult films and is married to Trout, but doesn't actually really like the movie. Caroline, their 17 year-old daughter, to whom the film is legendary but was also made 25 years or so before she was even born. While not everyone had the same reaction, no one was bored.
There are so many thing I love about this movie, I hardly know where to begin. Is some of it nostalgia? Of course. But some of it is that when I first saw this in a theater at 12 years old (no joke), it was already built to hit so many pleasure-centers in my brain.
My mother loved musicals, so I watched them constantly. When I wasn't watching musicals with my mothers, I was watching Creature Feature, which was "The Day The Earth Stood Still", all the Hammer Frankenstein films, all the sci-fi horror movies of the 50s and 60s, etc. And when I got MTV in 1981, I lost my mind for David Bowie (before "Let's Dance" ever hit, "Ashes To Ashes" and "DJ" were in the mix and concert footage of "Changes" and "Ziggy Stardust" were getting played during "Closet Classics"). So this movie has always been the perfect storm. I love musicals, I love 50s and 60s horror and sc-f, and I love glam-rock. Therefore, this is the perfect film and really the ONLY film in its category and class.
But one thing I had to enjoy tonight was that we're all older now and appreciate things like shot-composition and editing, and everyone tonight was really impressed, as I've always been with the artistic quality in acting, cinematography, and editing, despite the budget.
And it's also interesting that the movie actually becomes genuinely sad at the end. I mean, who would have seen that coming? Well, I guess for a story to emerge from small theaters in London to major runs in the United States and finally to film, there had to be more than just a quick sizzle.
To wrap up, I always think this time I'll finally be too acclimated to it and be disappointed, and yet I never am. It still seems "Out Of Time" rather than "dated" to me and, honestly, if I've got 2 hours to live and I get to watch one movie, I'm still gonna pick this one.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:38 am

Some things are hard to explain because nostalgia, some things are hard to explain because you had to be there, not only in the place but in the time, and some are hard to explain because all those things and you had to be you.
When I tell you this is from when I was about 7, no more than 8 years old, and I was pulled in like an iron-filing to some super-magnet, you can begin to understand how I have always been a horror-person, from the earliest ages. They had this machine at Shakey's Pizza on Veterans Highway in the closest suburb of New Orleans, where I grew up, and from the first time we ever walked in the place all I wanted out of life was for my mom or dad to give me more quarters to feed this beautiful nightmare-machine.
What was it really, nothing more than a very early (1976) arcade driving-game.
You put in your quarter, get in your car, and race your opponent around a graveyard, ghouls walking about that you had to run over and would turn into gravestones as you did. To a small, horror-obsessed boy, it was magic for two bits.
But it's not nostalgia for the game that makes me love this, at least not entirely, nor nostalgia for that place, or even that time, the late 1970s, even though all of that is true. It is even mores the nostalgia for that young version of me that could be completely transported by those two hooded skeletons above the screen, because that is the person inside of me that still loves horror and is the reason any of you know me at all.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:56 am

Wooley wrote: It really kinda wuz.
I love the ending.
This Is My Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:10 am

MadMan wrote: I love the ending.
I kinda sorta loved the whole thing.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:08 pm

Wooley wrote: When I tell you this is from when I was about 7, no more than 8 years old, and I was pulled in like and iron-filing to some super-magnet, you can begin to understand how I have always been a horror-person, from the earliest ages.
Ever think about why that is? I've given it some thought over the years but haven't found an answer. I have lots to say on the subject but it'll have to wait until after work.

And that Death Race game is a thing of beauty. I hung out at the wrong pizza joints, evidently.
Also, I've never seen Rocky Horror :oops:
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:40 pm

Captain Terror wrote: Ever think about why that is? I've given it some thought over the years but haven't found an answer. I have lots to say on the subject but it'll have to wait until after work.

And that Death Race game is a thing of beauty. I hung out at the wrong pizza joints, evidently.
Also, I've never seen Rocky Horror :oops:
I think about it a lot. I think I even got some real insight once, but I kinda forgot what it was.
As for RHPS, I wonder if it would do anything for you. I watched it with a group last night that was me who thinks it's the greatest movie ever, my friend who thinks it's great as a fun romp, his wife who thinks it's ok (but still knows half the words), and their daughter who said she just didn't get it but she did like the music. I have people who think I'm crazy for watching it at all. So any number of reactions are possible. It is a full-on musical based on 50s and 60s horror and sci-fi movies (with at least one major nod to a certain 1930s horror/sci-fi film) and glam rock. If that sounds like your brand of egg-nog, then knock yourself out, but I wouldn't be shocked if you were disappointed.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:34 pm

Wooley wrote: As for RHPS, I wonder if it would do anything for you. I watched it with a group last night that was me who thinks it's the greatest movie ever, my friend who thinks it's great as a fun romp, his wife who thinks it's ok (but still knows half the words), and their daughter who said she just didn't get it but she did like the music. I have people who think I'm crazy for watching it at all. So any number of reactions are possible. It is a full-on musical based on 50s and 60s horror and sci-fi movies (with at least one major nod to a certain 1930s horror/sci-fi film) and glam rock. If that sounds like your brand of egg-nog, then knock yourself out, but I wouldn't be shocked if you were disappointed.
Yeah, on paper it's all good. Classic horror and glam-rock I can handle. I think the cult surrounding it can be a bit intimidating for a newcomer. But it's just a movie, after all. Should my first viewing be in a theater or at home where I can digest it all? Lord knows I don't want any part of whatever foolishness "virgins" have to go through at a screening. :)
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:14 pm

Captain Terror wrote: Yeah, on paper it's all good. Classic horror and glam-rock I can handle. I think the cult surrounding it can be a bit intimidating for a newcomer. But it's just a movie, after all. Should my first viewing be in a theater or at home where I can digest it all? Lord knows I don't want any part of whatever foolishness "virgins" have to go through at a screening. :)
I think watching it first at home is fine, in fact the live environ can be quite distracting. While it's true that the film is pretty schlocky, I'm not someone who feels that, standalone, it isn't very entertaining (thank you, Tim Curry). Anyway, I saw the film originally at home as well, in those adolescent days in my sexual and chemical doldrums. By the time I attended a live screening, I was familiar enough with the film to not be overwhelmed by the constant, sometimes overlapping, audience responses. Also, my sexual and chemical experience had a chance to catch up. (I dated a girl who played Frankfurter for a brief while.)

I say, do it.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:18 am

Captain Terror wrote: Yeah, on paper it's all good. Classic horror and glam-rock I can handle. I think the cult surrounding it can be a bit intimidating for a newcomer. But it's just a movie, after all. Should my first viewing be in a theater or at home where I can digest it all? Lord knows I don't want any part of whatever foolishness "virgins" have to go through at a screening. :)
I never go to theatrical screenings of it anymore, ever. The movie wasn't written (as a play) to have a bunch of people screaming shit at back at the actors after every single line and the plot is hard to follow and a lot of the humor is lost when you can't here the dialogue. I like it as it was filmed and I can do without all the stuff that has come to surround it. That was fun when I was a teenager, but now it's too distracting for me to tolerate. There's a lot of good stuff to be digested in this movie, little things like Richard Nixon resigning as President on the radio while they're driving in the rain or certain people circled in photographs that are only shown for a moment, and big things like the radical attitudes toward sexuality for 1975 and the complicated emotions that people are actually having in the middle of all these over-the-top goings-on.
I would say stay home, crank up the volume, and pay attention to the details while enjoying all the fun.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:31 am

Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:39 am

I like Rocky Horror Picture Show. I think it's delightfully bonkers and I like the music. I've enjoyed it as a stand-alone film and twice I've seen it in a theater setting.

Like you, Captain Terror, the idea of forced audience participation or "fun" audience humiliation is not something I'm down for. But at the same time, I really enjoyed seeing the film with people who were really into it and having a good time. I think it would really depend on the audience.

I'd maybe keep an eye out for a live show with a good reputation and just watch the film yourself in the meantime.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:09 am

Well, this was unexpected.
Not the best movie I've ever seen but one of those "far better than anyone would expect of a movie on this budget" kinda movies. I think they made this for the same budget as Deep Throat. Maybe less actually since none of the actors got paid for sex.
Of course, what makes a movie this inexpensive legitimately good is usually ideas and imagination more than execution, but the execution is pretty good here too. Despite the poor print on Amazon Prime (if some of the stills I stole from elsewhere are any indication of other existing prints), this is a good-looking movie and the people who made it had some real vision and that's worth a lot in this genre.
Ok, story. This is a non-Lovecraft Lovecraft story, fairly obviously based on The Shadow Over Innsmouth, and fairly successful at getting what Lovecraft was going for up on onto the screen, which is not always easy. It's the seaside town that clearly has a secret, with "altered" inhabitants who seem menacing at first but actually become much worse as the story goes on, while unsuspecting visitors to the town get caught up in the madness. If you've seen Dagon, for example, you more or less know the story, although this version is somewhat less fishy. This movie is pretty successful at what lots of other movies have failed. I think when people try to make Lovecraft they often focus too much on the wrong things and this movie focuses on the right ones and just side-steps the obvious pitfalls, which some consider hallmarks, but often just lead to bad films.
In this case, our group of strangers comprises a woman visiting the town to find her father and a sort of weird threesome hinging on a tall, eccentric character who may or may not be more than he seems. His two companions are a young girl of maybe college age (keep in mind, at my age, that constitutes "a young girl") with a troubled past and a more worldly seeming woman who gets the swing of things (ha!). Things are off right from the start and continue to become more sinister as the plot begins to unfold. Who can our heroine trust, if anyone? Are her companions what they seem? Is anybody?
One thing I can tell you, if you go to see a movie and you're basically alone in the theater one minute...
... and the next you are decidedly not...
... you may be in a Lovecraftian horror film and you are probably fucked.

This was just one of the many great little moments this movie had to offer as I found myself mostly charmed by it. There's a clear vision here and surprisingly good execution considering this was a dollar-movie on it's best day. The acting is much better that I would have expected, even from the young'un (above), and the drop-in appearances by Elisha Cook Jr. and Royal Dano don't hurt things.
There is a dreamy/nightmare quality to the film that is kinda startling to see on the budget but it's not Fulcian/Argentan/Bavan nightmare, it's a different kind of thing that I've only really seen in one other movie I can think of...
Now, before people start losing their minds, cause I know there are some Lemora-haters and Messiah-lovers out there, I'm not even comparing the two movies. Certainly Messiah has better acting if nothing else. But the specific, low-budget, non-Italian, nightmare quality of the two films is really similar to me and it is what makes both films special, in my opinion.
Now I have to admit, I had a few issues with the movie. There are several refrigerator moments, like what the fuck is this very urbane swinging threesome doing in this small coastal New England (I'm assuming) town, and yes they give some reason, but come on. The way the main male character's arc progressed didn't make a ton of sense to me or maybe was just disappointing to me. Ultimately it seemed a little like they didn't know how to finish it, as the ending was kinda rote and fairly anti-climactic, although the final shot was a nice way to cap it all. By comparison, I thought Lemora got stronger as it went along, particularly the psychotic third act, while I thought this movie became more conventional.
Ultimately though, I am sort of picking nits, in that this movie is SO much better than it oughta be that even though these nits are legit, they probably should be overlooked considering what a huge overachievement the movie is. I don't know if I'd recommend it to my friends, but I'd definitely recommend it to you lot. ;)

I'll leave you with some more nice imagery from the film that demonstrate what I mean by the dreamy/nightmare quality of the film:
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:30 am

I'm going to watch Lemora right now. How can I resist?
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:32 am

Jinnistan wrote:I'm going to watch Lemora right now. How can I resist?
Good luck finding it. I just did Amazon, Netflix, iTunes, and Shudder, and came up empty-handed.
But, regardless, if you do, I hope you enjoy it.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:43 am

I found these amusing:
And here's some cats I used to know:
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:50 am

Wooley wrote: Good luck finding it. I just did Amazon, Netflix, iTunes, and Shudder, and came up empty-handed.
But, regardless, if you do, I hope you enjoy it.
Oh, I have it. don't you worry.
I burned a copy off of TCM about five years back.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:52 am

Jinnistan wrote: Oh, I have it. don't you worry.
I burned a copy off of TCM about five years back.
Nice.