Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Discuss anything you want.
Wooley

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Wooley » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:48 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote: Derivative "dream" jump scare inspire by Friday the 13th ripping off Carrie.
Gotcha. I shudder at the thought of rewatching this film, but maybe I'll have to since more than one person here has actually asserted that it is even coherent, which I did not think it was. That scene in particular undermined the film to me as I did not understand it as a dream and could not for the life of me figure out what was going on in the narrative if that scene occurred.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:32 am

Wooley wrote: Gotcha. I shudder at the thought of rewatching this film, but maybe I'll have to since more than one person here has actually asserted that it is even coherent, which I did not think it was. That scene in particular undermined the film to me as I did not understand it as a dream and could not for the life of me figure out what was going on in the narrative if that scene occurred.
I thought it was amusing as to that point, she'd almost discovered them a half dozen times. Then it jars you with something utterly unexpected then cuts back to reveal the "truth."

It's sort of stupid but it's my kind of stupid.

Just finished the new Suspiria. I almost loved it but that gosh darn low frame rate slow mo and epilogue dragged it down to really liked it. It had more garish style than I was led to believe, rather than pure classy restraint. I'm also fascinated by Mia Goth. I want a horror film starring her and Anya Taylor Joy. I don't care what it is. I just want it.
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:50 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:I know Carrie is the watershed moment for horror doing that sort of ending and it rippled throughout the slasher genre especially, with F13, NoES, the Prowler, and even Pieces having a riff on it, with almost all the filmmakers admitting as much.
Greatest groin grab in cinema?

I say yes.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:58 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote: Can someone explain to me why? I feel like I missed something. Perhaps it was my mood but I viewed it as a similarly solid and by the numbers slasher with above average gore. I'm willing to rewatch it.
The thing that distinguishes The Burning for me is that it puts actual effort into its characters. Things like the raft scene work not just as exceptional gore set pieces, but also because of the empathy the movie creates for the victims. The Prowler seemed especially disinterested in its characters, even by the standards of the cardboard cutouts of the Friday the 13th movies (which at least have enough variety and a handful of decent presences to make some cutouts stand out, if only in comparison).
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:02 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:Just finished the new Suspiria. I almost loved it but that gosh darn low frame rate slow mo and epilogue dragged it down to really liked it. It had more garish style than I was led to believe, rather than pure classy restraint. I'm also fascinated by Mia Goth. I want a horror film starring her and Anya Taylor Joy. I don't care what it is. I just want it.
I wasn't in love with it (I posted a review on here a few months ago) but Goth was one of my favourite things about it. If someone wanted to do a more straightforward remake/homage, she could make a great Suzy.
____
Blog!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:28 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
I thought it was amusing as to that point, she'd almost discovered them a half dozen times. Then it jars you with something utterly unexpected then cuts back to reveal the "truth."

It's sort of stupid but it's my kind of stupid.

Just finished the new Suspiria. I almost loved it but that gosh darn low frame rate slow mo and epilogue dragged it down to really liked it. It had more garish style than I was led to believe, rather than pure classy restraint. I'm also fascinated by Mia Goth. I want a horror film starring her and Anya Taylor Joy. I don't care what it is. I just want it.
You mean like The Witch?

Also, I liked the new Suspiria a LOT. Not without some problems but, hey, neither was the original. All 3 dance scenes are just amazing to me.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:32 am

Takoma1 wrote:
By the way, I won't jinx myself just yet, but I believe that I am finally out of low-budget purgatory and have actually discovered something quite worthwhile.
I'm glad to hear it, I've been watching this with some awe and possibly a bit of revulsion.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:33 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Well, yeah. How else are you supposed to pull in an audience?! A brief scrotum shot in a canoe--I mean it's practically a cliche at this point.
You made me laugh out loud and then go into a fit of coughing because I have a bad cold.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:34 am

Takoma1 wrote: Her hatred and her prayers mix into something supernatural and the dead soldier comes back to life.
*stops reading and adds to watchlist*
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:47 am

Wooley wrote: You mean like The Witch?

Also, I liked the new Suspiria a LOT. Not without some problems but, hey, neither was the original. All 3 dance scenes are just amazing to me.
Mia Goth isn't in the Witch! You almost tricked me!

I don't think it's as clever or imaginative as the original but it's smarter and far more polished. I feel similarly to this as I do the Thing, the Fly and the Blob remakes. They capture the spirit but take the subject material much more seriously and try to carve out surprising paths for their stories. I just wish the climax hadn't been married by that terrible slow mo. I've only seen Wong Kar Wai make that type of jittery slow mo work and he's not gotten it to work every time (I'm looking at you Ashes of Time!)
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:48 am

Rock wrote: I wasn't in love with it (I posted a review on here a few months ago) but Goth was one of my favourite things about it. If someone wanted to do a more straightforward remake/homage, she could make a great Suzy.
Have you seen the Cure for Wellness?
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:58 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mia Goth isn't in the Witch! You almost tricked me!

I don't think it's as clever or imaginative as the original but it's smarter and far more polished. I feel similarly to this as I do the Thing, the Fly and the Blob remakes. They capture the spirit but take the subject material much more seriously and try to carve out surprising paths for their stories. I just wish the climax hadn't been married by that terrible slow mo. I've only seen Wong Kar Wai make that type of jittery slow mo work and he's not gotten it to work every time (I'm looking at you Ashes of Time!)
My bad I didn't see the "AND" you had put up there.
I didn't mind the slo-mo, I just had trouble with the CGI gore. I thought it was other wise a good-looking scene. I was disappointed there wasn't more Chloe Moretz in the film, I felt like she would have more to do. I realize her character was important and maybe it was important we only saw her when and the way we saw her, but I remember initially being excited hearing she was in this film.
Rock

Post by Rock » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:13 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote: Have you seen the Cure for Wellness?
I have. I enjoyed it for the mileage it got out of its casting, among other things.
____
Blog!
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:44 pm

Apologies if this has come up before in this thread, but does anyone listen to any horror podcasts?
I only listen to Dead Meat, a fairly new one hosted by a boyfriend/girlfriend couple. They have episodes that cover movies and horror-related topics (their recent one about the history of horror movies causing moral panic in society is very interesting).
Horror podcasts seem to be a dime a dozen, so it's hard to tell which ones are worthwhile.
Last Great Movie Seen
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Kaufman, 1978)
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:46 pm

Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:16 pm

Wooley wrote: You made me laugh out loud and then go into a fit of coughing because I have a bad cold.
Well, we've often railed against the objectification of male characters in horror. So many films filled with untalented male actors who were clearly hired because they were willing to flash a little sack in a kayak.
Captain Terror wrote: *stops reading and adds to watchlist*
Just watch it now!

Because (1) then we can discuss it and (2) it's literally less than an hour long.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:39 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Well, we've often railed against the objectification of male characters in horror. So many films filled with untalented male actors who were clearly hired because they were willing to flash a little sack in a kayak.
I know, when are men finally gonna be treated like equals in film and not just flesh to be ogled?!
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:08 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Just watch it now!

Because (1) then we can discuss it and (2) it's literally less than an hour long.
This so-called "movie" has zero online presence, by the way. Looked for a trailer and there is none. Letterboxd doesn't even have an entry for it, unless I'm mistaken. I'm wary of a trap here. I'm not gonna sit through just anything, after all.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:30 pm

Captain Terror wrote: This so-called "movie" has zero online presence, by the way. Looked for a trailer and there is none. Letterboxd doesn't even have an entry for it, unless I'm mistaken. I'm wary of a trap here. I'm not gonna sit through just anything, after all.
Trailer here.

One pretty picture.

EDIT: Also, any of us pretending to have standards is cute. Real cute.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:29 am

Takoma1 wrote: EDIT: Also, any of us pretending to have standards is cute. Real cute.
I just paused the "Top 10 Forklift Fails" video I was watching to say that I disapprove of this comment.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:23 am

Captain Terror wrote: I just paused the "Top 10 Forklift Fails" video I was watching to say that I disapprove of this comment.
Sorry, what?

I was just so engrossed in this article about Celebrity Baby Plastic Surgery Disasters.
High five if you get this reference.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:50 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote: Can someone explain to me why? I feel like I missed something. Perhaps it was my mood but I viewed it as a similarly solid and by the numbers slasher with above average gore. I'm willing to rewatch it.
There are a bunch of reasons I can briefly touch on.

The Burning manages to establish the presence of the central villain of Cropsey looming over nearly every scene of the film, with considerably more weight than I think we find in most of these slasher in the woods type films. The scenes of him leaving the hospital and visiting the prostitute are an uncharacteristically intimate moment for these sorts of villains, where he seems both human and other worldly, so by the type he slinks into the forest, we have a greater sense of him lurking out there. He's a real presence.

The film also has a pretty good sense of style (even if it isn't observable in every scene). Whether it be Cropsey entering the prostitutes home by climbing up the stairs, or the vision of him rising from the canoe, or the over the top yet precise whirlwind violence in the raft scene, or panning across all of the young campers crying on the beach, the film has a better visual awareness than the fairly flat look of The Prowler.

Then there's the fact that, probably most importantly, it has personality. There is a tug of war between the film wanting us to take it seriously, and it playing with elements of camp and absurdity. It also has a sense of humor about itself. In many ways, it is a slightly less rambunctious cousin of something like Sleepaway Camp with its general off balanced tone. I also like the fact that the violence in the movie is mostly kept just building off camera where Cropsey lingers, and when it finally comes, it is just a frenzy of violence, eliminating nearly all of the characters in probably less than 15 or 20 minutes. When it comes, it comes big. It all works together to give the movie a specific feel, unlike something like The Prowler which feels fairly devoid of any real care for good stretches.

Since Rock already mentioned the part about its use of fully formed, relatable characters, I won't get into that. But it's also a super important factor.

Now while I would never go so far to call it a great movie, it's a movie that always feels like more than a sum of its 'kills'. It remains engaging from beginning to end, it manages tension and suspense, and has a comically over the top approach to its violence that isn't just about being offensive but has a really visceral, cinematic feel. And because of this it is at least a good movie, and therefore, one of the standard bearers of the genre.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:42 am

crumbsroom wrote:

The Burning manages to establish the presence of the central villain of Cropsey looming over nearly every scene of the film, with considerably more weight than I think we find in most of these slasher in the woods type films. The scenes of him leaving the hospital and visiting the prostitute are an uncharacteristically intimate moment for these sorts of villains, where he seems both human and other worldly, so by the type he slinks into the forest, we have a greater sense of him lurking out there. He's a real presence.

The film also has a pretty good sense of style (even if it isn't observable in every scene). Whether it be Cropsey entering the prostitutes home by climbing up the stairs, or the vision of him rising from the canoe, or the over the top yet precise whirlwind violence in the raft scene, or panning across all of the young campers crying on the beach, the film has a better visual awareness than the fairly flat look of The Prowler.

Then there's the fact that, probably most importantly, it has personality. There is a tug of war between the film wanting us to take it seriously, and it playing with elements of camp and absurdity. It also has a sense of humor about itself. In many ways, it is a slightly less rambunctious cousin of something like Sleepaway Camp with its general off balanced tone. I also like the fact that the violence in the movie is mostly kept just building off camera where Cropsey lingers, and when it finally comes, it is just a frenzy of violence, eliminating nearly all of the characters in probably less than 15 or 20 minutes. When it comes, it comes big. It all works together to give the movie a specific feel, unlike something like The Prowler which feels fairly devoid of any real care for good stretches.

Since Rock already mentioned the part about its use of fully formed, relatable characters, I won't get into that. But it's also a super important factor.

Now while I would never go so far to call it a great movie, it's a movie that always feels like more than a sum of its 'kills'. It remains engaging from beginning to end, it manages tension and suspense, and has a comically over the top approach to its violence that isn't just about being offensive but has a really visceral, cinematic feel. And because of this it is at least a good movie, and therefore, one of the standard bearers of the genre.
Ok, now I wanna see The Burning.
Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:49 am

crumbsroom wrote:The Burning manages to establish the presence of the central villain of Cropsey looming over nearly every scene of the film, with considerably more weight than I think we find in most of these slasher in the woods type films. The scenes of him leaving the hospital and visiting the prostitute are an uncharacteristically intimate moment for these sorts of villains, where he seems both human and other worldly, so by the type he slinks into the forest, we have a greater sense of him lurking out there. He's a real presence.
That and I think the movie handles the campfire tale aspect really well. The closing scene has a real impact.
____
Blog!
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:07 am

I just finished The Premonition (1976).

The film is about a mentally ill woman who is obsessed with taking her child back from the foster parents who have been raising her for the last 5 years. The woman and her boyfriend (a circus clown) ramp up to an abduction attempt as the girl's adoptive mother begins to experience strange and violent visions.

About 60% percent of this film is underwhelming 70s "mild horror". It's got a mediocre 4.6 rating on the IMDb, but I liked the look of the poster, so here we are.

The thing is, though, this movie actually had some ideas and moments that were really shocking and conceptually scary.

Odd touches, like a domestic argument that leads a man to grab a sharp knife that is inexplicably sticking straight up out of a large block of plastic-wrapped cheddar cheese. Or the surprising degree of sympathy that the film has for the mentally disturbed woman. And hanging under all of it is the question (though maybe that's obvious) as to why the woman's boyfriend is so into the idea of acquiring a 5 year old girl. The woman and her boyfriend represent two different, and yet equally dangerous threats to the child.

It's not great, but I'd recommend it.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:24 am

crumbsroom wrote:

I wished I'd experienced the film this way. I didn't. There are certainly elements I like and admire (I do like the film) but I think your liking of the "tug of war" between serious and camp was precisely what undermined the film for me. It was "lukewarm." It wanted to be taken seriously and tried it's best but wasn't quite well written (damn you Weinstein!) or well acted (despite the presence of horror heavyweights Jason Alexander, Holly Hunter and Fisher Stevens) to earn being taken seriously. That made it more of a slog than the Prowler, which may win my award for film with the least pretense.

I think they'd made a cool double feature and I just may pick up a copy of the Prowler and screen them next October.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:41 am

Takoma1 wrote:
You know, I once posted on RT asking about the similarity between the final shots in Carrie, Friday the 13th, and (third film, not a major spoiler)
Deliverance
and everyone acted like I was saying something stupid and crazy.
Makes perfect sense to me.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:43 am

Jinnistan wrote: Makes perfect sense to me.
Where were you people twelve years ago?!?!
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:43 am

Takoma1 wrote:So many films filled with untalented male actors who were clearly hired because they were willing to flash a little sack in a kayak.
Men need a road to redemption, Tak. Stop all of this sack-shaming.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:11 am

Jinnistan wrote: Men need a road to redemption, Tak. Stop all of this sack-shaming.
One day, more than 4% of men in the film industry will be there on their own merits, and not just because of our scrot-centric society. Eyes up here, lady! I said eyes . . . up . . . here.

Thoughts on the 1980 The Boogey Man? Because the first five minutes were . . . something.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:18 am

Takoma1 wrote:Thoughts on the 1980 The Boogey Man? Because the first five minutes were . . . something.
I clicked on this to answer, but then realized that I was thinking about The Boogens instead.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:21 am

Takoma1 wrote:
One day, more than 4% of men in the film industry will be there on their own merits, and not just because of our scrot-centric society. Eyes up here, lady! I said eyes . . . up . . . here.

Thoughts on the 1980 The Boogey Man? Because the first five minutes were . . . something.
I think I've seen The Boogey Man a few times, but never from start to finish, just in pieces. And I can never remember a single thing about it. Nothing.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:27 am

Takoma1 wrote:
I watched it in October but don't remember a blessed thing about it. Refresh my memory about the first 5 minutes.
I recommend The Devonsville Terror, however, from the same director.
Rock

Post by Rock » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:48 am

Takoma1 wrote:

I'm a fan. It's more formally interesting and strange than its B-horror trappings would suggest. I wrote some words about it and its bizarre sequel a few years ago if you're interested.

The soundtrack is also great.

____
Blog!
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:40 am

Jinnistan wrote: I clicked on this to answer, but then realized that I was thinking about The Boogens instead.
I like The Boogens. So fun to say.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:55 pm

Captain Terror wrote: I watched it in October but don't remember a blessed thing about it. Refresh my memory about the first 5 minutes.
I recommend The Devonsville Terror, however, from the same director.
It starts with a couple messing around (including her putting a stocking over his head) and her kids are watching them. So the guy ties the boy to a bed.
The sister unties the boy and he goes to where the mom and guy are making out and stabs the dude to death.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:02 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
It starts with a couple messing around (including her putting a stocking over his head) and her kids are watching them. So the guy ties the boy to a bed.
The sister unties the boy and he goes to where the mom and guy are making out and stabs the dude to death.
ha! Yes, I recall that now. Wow.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:13 pm

Rock wrote: I'm a fan. It's more formally interesting and strange than its B-horror trappings would suggest. I wrote some words about it and its bizarre sequel a few years ago if you're interested.
How spoilery are the thoughts? To be read before or after viewing?
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:43 pm

Oh, the Ulli Lommel Boogyman? Yeah, that was pretty good. I wish Suzanna Love had been in a lot more films.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:01 am

I'm about halfway through Abducted in Plain Sight. Yeah, it's a documentary, but it's maybe the most horrifying thing I've seen in a good while.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:08 am

I was in the edge of disliking Blood For Dracula but that ending won me over. It's still a bit of a bore but the central premise of Dracula not being able to find virgins and progressively getting weaker and less threatening throughout the film is amusing.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:09 am

Takoma1 wrote:I'm about halfway through Abducted in Plain Sight. Yeah, it's a documentary, but it's maybe the most horrifying thing I've seen in a good while.
So glad someone else is watching this. INFURIATING! Looking forward to your thoughts afterward.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:15 am

Captain Terror wrote: So glad someone else is watching this. INFURIATING! Looking forward to your thoughts afterward.
Here's a thought: stupid Mormons make the worst parents and based on several stories I've encountered, particularly unable (or unwilling) to stop people from repeatedly raping their children.

Doc: The Rape of the Town of Lovell is worse in scale (as in, hundreds of victims), but I mostly feel an unfocused, frustrating anger.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:15 am

Takoma1 wrote:I'm about halfway through Abducted in Plain Sight. Yeah, it's a documentary, but it's maybe the most horrifying thing I've seen in a good while.
Someone recommended this to my sister and I at a party. She told the premise and I was like "I'll check it out!" And added it to my queue.

Then she told the next plot point to my sister so I tried to shift out of the conversation.

Then she told the next. And the next.

I didn't know her well enough to ask her if she wanted me to watch it or just listen to her explain the whole damn thing but it made me put a hold on watching it until I forget some of the specifics of what she said.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:19 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote: Someone recommended this to my sister and I at a party. She told the premise and I was like "I'll check it out!" And added it to my queue.

Then she told the next plot point to my sister so I tried to shift out of the conversation.

Then she told the next. And the next.

I didn't know her well enough to ask her if she wanted me to watch it or just listen to her explain the whole damn thing but it made me put a hold on watching it until I forget some of the specifics of what she said.
There are like 28 plot twists in the first ten minutes. Just describing the first "act" would feel like a heck of a story in and of itself.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:21 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Here's a thought: stupid Mormons make the worst parents and based on several stories I've encountered, particularly unable (or unwilling) to stop people from repeatedly raping their children.
Yes, not sure if you got there yet but my favorite bit is when
the dad tearfully claims that "relieving" the guy in the car was "the worst thing I've ever done". Not by a long shot, chief!
I was housebound all weekend with a cold, watching hours of murder documentaries, but I'm convinced this one set my recovery back a few days. Getting that hot-blooded was not what I needed.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:30 am

Takoma1 wrote:
There are like 28 plot twists in the first ten minutes. Just describing the first "act" would feel like a heck of a story in and of itself.
That's a relief but she said some stuff that I can't fathom happening early. I'll try to check it sooner though so I can figure out how miffed I should be. I haven't had such a spoilery recommendation delivered by an adult before.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:32 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote: That's a relief but she said some stuff that I can't fathom happening early. I'll try to check it sooner though so I can figure out how miffed I should be. I haven't had such a spoilery recommendation delivered by an adult before.
Well, honestly, it is so infuriating that there are about thirty things that I'd like to say, prefaced with "CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT ___________?!?!?!?!?!?"

Just watch it. It's unreal.
Rock

Post by Rock » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:34 am

Takoma1 wrote:
How spoilery are the thoughts? To be read before or after viewing?
Slightly. Probably best to read atter watching, although I didn't give away anything major.
____
Blog!
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:40 am

Captain Terror wrote: Yes, not sure if you got there yet but my favorite bit is when
the dad tearfully claims that "relieving" the guy in the car was "the worst thing I've ever done". Not by a long shot, chief!
I was housebound all weekend with a cold, watching hours of murder documentaries, but I'm convinced this one set my recovery back a few days. Getting that hot-blooded was not what I needed.
I'm just annoyed with the way they talk about the parents being "duped" or "naive". It just makes me so angry in the way that it passively excuses them from their horrible, horrible choices.

I hope that this film will partly serve as a lesson to some people about how victims of sexual/domestic abuse can appear to be complicit in what happens to them, and the way that abusers can hold power over victims even when they aren't physically holding them captive.

Also, the idea that someone would essentially
"sell" the rape of their child so that no one would find out about a few makeout sessions and a handjob
blows my mind. Only, having read The Rape of the Town of Lovell, I totally believe it.

EDIT:

My god.
"The dogs are fine. Susan's still home. Karen's not blind. Dad's not dead."
This is so depressing. This poor woman.